Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Deal Talk (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Costco-Vitamix 5200 $369.99 (http://slickdeals.net/f/5502654-costco-vitamix-5200-369-99)

Badandy538 11-14-2012 08:21 PM

Costco-Vitamix 5200 $369.99

1 Attachment(s)
I was in Costco today looking for the Blentec total blender; but instead they had the Vitamix 5200 for $369.99. I guess they decided to run the Blentec promotion on the Vitamix instead. http://www.costco.com/Blendtec%C2...78504.html

Amazon has the Vitamix 5200 for $489.99. http://www.amazon.com/Vitamix-520...tamix+5200

Hope this helps someone :)

coupwn 11-14-2012 08:28 PM

What Costco location was this?

larry123 11-14-2012 08:34 PM

Why so expensive does it make gold?

adalau 11-14-2012 08:41 PM

Azusa/Irwindale, CA had it. They also had the newer 6300 for $500.

Unrequited_Hope 11-14-2012 08:50 PM

Vitamix is to blenders as Dyson is to vacuums--considered to be the holy grail of blenders and primarily a choice for professionals/businesses. I used this frequently during my former bartender days. This thing is practically indestructible. It will grind ice as if it were butter.

Badandy538 11-14-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larry123 (Post 54796272)

I heard it makes ice cream!

stilz 11-14-2012 09:05 PM

Vitamix or Blentec?

Ivelweyz 11-14-2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unrequited_Hope (Post 54796716)
Vitamix is to blenders as Dyson is to vacuums-

Have you ever used a Dyson?

Unrequited_Hope 11-14-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivelweyz (Post 54797296)
Have you ever used a Dyson?

I have a Dyson DC33 sitting in the living room closet

iluvusorin 11-14-2012 09:56 PM

Unbelievable, people are spending $400 on electric motor (and no it is quite different from Dyson, Vaccum cleaner is far more complex appliance in general) Any substandard blender from India can match this POS in terms of durability and power. Go to any store that sells Indian appliance (e.g. Edison) and you can get similar performance for around $100.
e.g. http://www.amazon.com/Sumeet-Dome...meet+mixie
Spending $400 on mixer trumps even $100 jeans as shameless depiction of excess..

Badandy538 11-14-2012 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvusorin (Post 54798316)
Unbelievable, people are spending $400 on electric motor (and no it is quite different from Dyson, Vaccum cleaner is far more complex appliance in general) Any substandard blender from India can match this POS in terms of durability and power. Go to any store that sells Indian appliance (e.g. Edison) and you can get similar performance for around $100.
Spending $400 on mixer trumps even $100 jeans as shameless depiction of excess..

I agree it's a lot of money. But don't take it so personal lol.
Be angry at those people that spent $100+ on the Ninja. :shake:

BlkBimM3r 11-15-2012 12:41 AM

Not bad for a Vitamix, but this is only like $5-$10 off the regular price of $375-380 for the 5200s which I've seen numberous times throughout the year at the Los Feliz & Burbank, CA Costco warehouses. Prices have dropped/remained about $375 since the roadshows have the new 6300 model.. At least at the warehouses I visit. Still $5-10 off is still good, but its not a huge discount from regular year round Costco pricing.

Have had a Vitamix for years & we use it several times daily & love it!

garycoleman 11-15-2012 01:00 AM

what can a $370 blender do that my $30 blender can't do?

rebelx 11-15-2012 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garycoleman (Post 54802378)

Work?

Not die after crushing ice?

Soup?

Ice cream?

Blend my cell phone?

BlkBimM3r 11-15-2012 01:29 AM

Quote:

Not burn out & make things smoothly.. I've had a lot of $100 or so blenders that simply didn't last.. Add up what I spent over the years & I should have just gotten the Vitamix from the get go..

if you use your blender a lot you'll notice a difference in the blend quality, power, & it just works. My wife & I use ours several times daily to crush ice & blend smoothies & protein drinks & she makes hot soup & other meals with it. We've had the Vitamix for several years & there's no hint of it dying, add up all the below blenders I had, I could have just bought the VitaMix.

There is also consistency.. The cheap blenders I had would struggle with ice or hard particles & you wouldn't get a smooth blend.. You'd get some ice chunks or fruit & veggie fibers or it just didn't create a vortex to pull everything into the blades & blend evenly so you'd have stuff on the sides of the jar unblended..

Previously I've had oster, cuisinart, black & decker, waring, Hamilton beach, magic bullet, & some other brands I can't remember.. Nothing like that burning smell from the motor permeating your kitchen & wasted ingredients when the thing dies & you're left with a jar full of half blended stuff.. protein powder, fruit, kale, Greek yogurt, ice, etc wasted..

It's kind of like going up a steep incline with an economy car 4 banger vs a powerful 6 or 8 cyl.. They both will make it up, but the 4 banger struggles (like my old 1.6 liter civic from college going up the I-5 grapevine) whereas 8 cyl is just so much smoother, powerful & faster. The cheap blended hiccup on ice or dumping in whole fruits & vegetables.. VitaMix just pulverizes it. We have parties with lots of guests & mix drinks with it,having it on several hours a night & it hasn't skipped a beat in several years.

Of course if you rarely use it, or just blend liquids, no hard solids or ice & easy stuff, then you probably won't notice much difference & can't justify the cost.

We also had a juicer before & hated 2 things about it.. The metal strainer basket was hard to clean & it took all the fiber out of the fruits & vegetables.. The Vitamix just breaks the whole thing down whether its ice, an apple, celery, carrots, beets, avocado, kale, etc.. Everything is smoothly blended together..

& 90 day warranty from some foreign company purchased off the Internet (even if its through amazon) vs like 7 yrs from VitaMix USA & from Costco (forever guarantee).. To each his own, but ill pay for the VitaMix. Not to mention about half the wattage of both VitaMix & Blendtec & 3 speed vs variable or programmable...& all that counter space! I

bbdt 11-15-2012 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlkBimM3r (Post 54802692)
Not burn out & make things smoothly.. I've had a lot of $100 or so blenders that simply didn't last.. Add up what I spent over the years & I should have just gotten the Vitamix from the get go..

if you use your blender a lot you'll notice a difference in the blend quality, power, & it just works. My wife & I use ours several times daily to crush ice & blend smoothies & protein drinks & she makes hot soup & other meals with it. We've had the Vitamix for several years & there's no hint of it dying, add up all the below blenders I had, I could have just bought the VitaMix.

There is also consistency.. The cheap blenders I had would struggle with ice or hard particles & you wouldn't get a smooth blend.. You'd get some ice chunks or fruit & veggie fibers or it just didn't create a vortex to pull everything into the blades & blend evenly so you'd have stuff on the sides of the jar unblended..

Previously I've had oster, cuisinart, black & decker, waring, Hamilton beach, magic bullet, & some other brands I can't remember.. Nothing like that burning smell from the motor permeating your kitchen & wasted ingredients when the thing dies & you're left with a jar full of half blended stuff.. protein powder, fruit, kale, Greek yogurt, ice, etc wasted..

It's kind of like going up a steep incline with an economy car 4 banger vs a powerful 6 or 8 cyl.. They both will make it up, but the 4 banger struggles (like my old 1.6 liter civic from college going up the I-5 grapevine) whereas 8 cyl is just so much smoother, powerful & faster. The cheap blended hiccup on ice or dumping in whole fruits & vegetables.. VitaMix just pulverizes it. We have parties with lots of guests & mix drinks with it,having it on several hours a night & it hasn't skipped a beat in several years.

Of course if you rarely use it, or just blend liquids, no hard solids or ice & easy stuff, then you probably won't notice much difference & can't justify the cost.

We also had a juicer before & hated 2 things about it.. The metal strainer basket was hard to clean & it took all the fiber out of the fruits & vegetables.. The Vitamix just breaks the whole thing down whether its ice, an apple, celery, carrots, beets, avocado, kale, etc.. Everything is smoothly blended together..

& 90 day warranty from some foreign company purchased off the Internet (even if its through amazon) vs like 7 yrs from VitaMix USA & from Costco (forever guarantee).. To each his own, but ill pay for the VitaMix.

Well said brother!:worship:

Royal2000H 11-15-2012 02:06 AM

Yea this is usually ~370-380 at Costco I thought?

cubeo 11-15-2012 03:36 AM

Ninja will do

mjv5864 11-15-2012 03:49 AM

Love my Ninja.

JeffSimpson 11-15-2012 03:58 AM

I used to be one of those people that wondered why would you ever spend so much on a blender (I'm still there with the Zojirushi rice cooker). If you don't cook a lot, or aren't interested in green smoothies, or are OK with buying replacement blenders every so often, this really isn't for you.

Basically a Vitamix does everything a regular blender will do, and for many things (i.e. a used it to puree a can of tomatoes the other night) it's certainly way overkill. However, using the same machine you can make hot soups (i.e. no additional cooking needed), ice cream / sorbet, almond milk, etc. It does sound like marketing material, but these are things that it really does, and it really does them well. On top of all that, because the motor is so powerful, it does these things fairly easily, so it's not going to die like some cheaper blenders most certainly would.

It really depends on what you are going to use it for, and how often you are going to use it.

amlukutty 11-15-2012 04:23 AM

he's got a good point here. the typical use of blenders ("mixers" as they're referred to in india) in india is for grinding up grains into a fine consistency thick paste/batter (i.e. little water), and making chutneys (usually in the smaller jar) with crushed fresh ingredients (e.g. garlic, herb) that have little to no water. The typical use of blenders among americans is for making smoothies. Because grains are harder to grind, the indian blenders are built to run for a longer duration without motor burnout issues compared to the cheapie american blenders cannot typically handle the same load without motor getting overheated. Indian blenders also come with different interchangable blades for different types of grinding.

Quote:

PooMBA 11-15-2012 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stilz (Post 54797216)
Vitamix or Blentec?

Blendtec all the way!!!! :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

poopsnack 11-15-2012 05:10 AM

Vitamix > Blendtec from personal experience.
I saws Blendtec put something on their facebook page about a lawsuit they had with Vitamix... it lacked class. I had to deal with their customer service a while back, and they we not helpful.

My vitamix changed my eating habits, as now there are MUCH more fresh fruit and veg in the house. Sicne getting it 2 friends and 2 family members have also taken the plunge into the Vitamix world. Everyone is happy.

Ace2377 11-15-2012 05:12 AM

Bought mine about 3 or 4 months ago and use it several times a day. Other blenders I only used several times a year and didn't hold up. If you make smoothies or any other kind of juices/drinks, there simply is nothing better and WELL worth the money. It does so many other things, makes soups, ice cream, peanut butter, etc. Is it a lot of money for a blender for some people? Sure. However, is it worth the expense for people who blend frequently? ABSOLUTELY!! I say a couple times a week how glad I am that I bought it.

PooMBA 11-15-2012 05:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubeo (Post 54804106)
Ninja will do

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjv5864 (Post 54804150)
Love my Ninja.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amlukutty (Post 54804380)
he's got a good point here. the typical use of blenders ("mixers" as they're referred to in india) in india is for grinding up grains into a fine consistency thick paste/batter (i.e. little water), and making chutneys (usually in the smaller jar) with crushed fresh ingredients (e.g. garlic, herb) that have little to no water. The typical use of blenders among americans is for making smoothies. Because grains are harder to grind, the indian blenders are built to run for a longer duration without motor burnout issues compared to the cheapie american blenders cannot typically handle the same load without motor getting overheated. Indian blenders also come with different interchangable blades for different types of grinding.

1) ignorance is a bliss. You can't educate those who decide to stay ignorant.
2) "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt" -Mark Twain

Badandy538 11-15-2012 05:33 AM

General consensus seems to be that this isn't much of a deal; at most $5-$10 less than the usual Costco price. I guess i'll wait for a better deal; although this one ain't shabby.

gursharankang 11-15-2012 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badandy538 (Post 54796960)
I heard it makes ice cream!

Yes it does! Icecream gets ready in less than a minute and I have tried making Vanilla, Strawberry, Chocolate, Fig, Mango, Pistachio, etc flavors. Basically you can throw anything at it and it will blend everything.
We have even tried whole grains as Wheat to make flour - use a dry jug for that. Its an expensive item but comes with 7 years of warranty. So you are covered for a long time and I am sure its more than worth each penny you pay.

Ace2377 11-15-2012 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badandy538 (Post 54805120)
General consensus seems to be that this isn't much of a deal; at most $5-$10 less than the usual Costco price. I guess i'll wait for a better deal; although this one ain't shabby.

You are right, it is about $5-$10 less than normal at Costco, however, Costco's NORMAL price is well below what you will find any place else. I had shopped them for a while before picking one up a few months ago. I'm not trying to tell you what you should or shouldn't do, but if you DO plan to purchase one, and have the funds to do so, I don't recall seeing them any cheaper.

teknoman 11-15-2012 06:35 AM

Thanks for posting OP. My dad has always liked Vitamix even though I never heard of it before. Then I saw that Jamba Juice uses them.

I figure if they can be used almost non-stop everyday, they should be pretty good and durable. :)

mtbikr 11-15-2012 06:54 AM

To those that ask why the vitamix is so expensive...7 year warranty on a extremely durable American made machine that many people have and use regularly for 20+ years.

Sure, it's expensive. If you need a blender and think this is too much, by all means buy a $180 (brand-name) that you quite likely will have to replace several times.

Or you could buy a $50 blender at Target, but if this is you...I would have to wonder why the hell you even want a blender.

monash 11-15-2012 07:00 AM

Thanks OP Iam sold, will go to Costco and take a look.

flygrrrrl 11-15-2012 07:06 AM

You can can a commercial Blendtec (same one used at Starbucks) on eBay for cheapest I've seen right now is $179. I got mine on eBay several years ago and love it.

Green smoothies (made popular by Victoria Boutenko) are an excellent way to get raw fruits and vegetables into your diet. They also help remedy many ailments such as excessive weight gain, acne, heartburn, indigestion, etc. Consider how much is spent on prescriptions and doctors visits for sicknesses that can be avoided if we eat better.

For all those that think you can make smoothies in a regular blender must only be making soft fruit smoothies. Try blending raw kale or carrots into smooth consistency in a regular blender. Here's a video to show green smoothies being made in both Vitamix and Blendtec blenders.

http://youtu.be/dsxH1weVf-0

Here's another link for green smoothies:

http://pinterest.com/according2ke...smoothies/

TwinTurboJosh 11-15-2012 07:08 AM

Not a bad deal. I love my Vitamix; its been one of best home purchases yet. I'd rather spend the money on an appliance that works well and will last a lifetime then replacing a cheap product on an annual basis. Plus I prefer to limit "Made in China" "things" from as much contact with my food as possible.

Earlier this year my sister brought margaritas over to my house and was lamenting how making them killed her blender. Not on my watch.

dog007dog 11-15-2012 07:43 AM

I was in Costco the other day, they have a newer model that they were selling at the demo booth at normal price, probably why the now older 5200 is selling for a little less. As with others, I never thought I could pay that much for a blender, but with six kids constantly burning up $70-$100 ones, I went for this in large part for the 7 year warranty. The blender has met all expectations. Unlike the the Dyson (which I have two) it hard to score deals on these

choxi 11-15-2012 07:57 AM

I also was a "what the hell do you do with a $400 blender?", person. Not anymore. Yes, if you only pull it out once a month, it's a waste of money and overkill. But it/I has/have changed the way I eat. Everyday, I use it no less than twice. Smoothie in the morning and soup/ice cream in the evening. And we don't make actual ice cream, more of a sorbet/non-dairy ice cream. All are excellent.

It appears the new model eliminates the start on 1, turn it to 10, then flip to high routine everyone who uses one could do in their sleep. Seems they have put in presets for smoothies, soups, etc... I'm happy with our 5200, and at this price at Costco, this is a no brainer if you were on the fence.

galewskj 11-15-2012 08:14 AM

Quote:

Unbelievable, people are spending $400 on electric motor (and no it is quite different from Dyson, Vaccum cleaner is far more complex appliance in general) Any substandard blender from India can match this POS in terms of durability and power. Go to any store that sells Indian appliance (e.g. Edison) and you can get similar performance for around $100. e.g. http://www.amazon.com/Sumeet-Dome...meet+mixie Spending $400 on mixer trumps even $100 jeans as shameless depiction of excess..

Can you recommend an Indian blender that doesn't look so goofy? Or do they all look like this?

iluvusorin 11-15-2012 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PooMBA (Post 54804928)
1) ignorance is a bliss. You can't educate those who decide to stay ignorant.
2) "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt" -Mark Twain

Quote:

Originally Posted by galewskj (Post 54808676)
Can you recommend an Indian blender that doesn't look so goofy? Or do they all look like this?

PooMBA, can you provide counter argument about what other blenders cannot that this one can ? Have you tried the one I quoted ?
galewskj, Sorry, do not know personally which brands are good, sumeet used to be best of them. BTW vitamix looks even worse, whenever i see it out of box at Costco , it SEEM cheap and plasticky. $15 oyster from walmart looks better than it.

lovethegators 11-15-2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

We have used both and absolutely love our Vitamix. It is able to pulverize fruits, vegetables, nuts or seeds to a smooth as silk blend. We use ours every day, including smoothies with spinach, carrots, flax seed, bananas, frozen strawberries, blueberries, almond milk and a little OJ for our family of five every day. The vegetables disappear without a trace which allows our family to eat healthier (which is very important to us since we are battling chronic health conditions). Our kids would not drink the same ingredients using our old $80 blender (the consistency was not nearly as smooth).

Another favorite is frozen banana, a tablespoon of good cocoa powder and almond milk for a healthy ice cream treat.

The Vitamix blenders will last longer with similar use too. We have not regretted our purchase for a moment. We have absolutely no affiliation with the company, and bought ours at a Costco road show about a year ago.

PooMBA 11-15-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvusorin (Post 54808768)
PooMBA, can you provide counter argument about what other blenders cannot that this one can ? Have you tried the one I quoted ?
galewskj, Sorry, do not know personally which brands are good, sumeet used to be best of them. BTW vitamix looks even worse, whenever i see it out of box at Costco , it SEEM cheap and plasticky. $15 oyster from walmart looks better than it.

I am a Blendtec user. Just search YouTube for Blendtec videos. Then get your Indian brand blender and try the same smoothies, soups, and whole fruit juices. Do let us know how it worked out for you.

av8nautiger 11-15-2012 09:08 AM

I bought one for my wife but it's the 6300 for $500. She absolutely LOVES it and uses it EVERY day! She has even used it to make sorbet and soup. She has been on a veggie and fruit smoothie diet and has been looking and feeling better. I was hesitant to spend so much but it's a great product and she is happy (which is more important). If you watch the Costco demo, if they have one, you will be impressed.
Don't forget the return policy too!

Oh yes, to add that in this day and age, IT IS MADE IN THE USA!!

OceanCat 11-15-2012 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvusorin (Post 54808768)

Umm, just because there is more plastic on the outside of the blender than the $15 Oster (not oyster) really says nothing about the quality of the machine. It is a case. The Oster motor will most definitely burn out faster. By your comparison you could say look how cheap cars look these days. Every year more plastic! I wish they made them like they used to like the Model T with all metal parts.

WelcomePhoenix 11-15-2012 10:18 AM

Vitamix 5200 and Blendtec Total Blender at Costco are about the same price (just called and checked), but I'm not sure which one to get. I'm leaning towards Blendtec as it doesn't have the "stick" like the Vitamix does (not too crazy about that technology). Will use frozen fruits for smoothies, but did come across someone on here saying it won't blend too nicely if frozen. Any thoughts, suggestions?!? It appears the Blendec is more powerful though.

Thanks for the feedback!

subzi 11-15-2012 11:04 AM

Will it blend? Silly Vitamix, Plungers Are for Toilets [youtube.com]

aes06 11-15-2012 11:14 AM

I was a skeptic about the $3-400+ blenders, but my mind changed when I actually bought and started using one. Both the Blendtec and Vitamix blenders will give you fantastic results. I was between the two brands when looking to buy at Costco but I ultimately decided on the Blendtec simply because it fits under my kitchen cabinets. I have friends with the Vitamix that love it. I don't think you can go wrong with either and it really will make a positive change in the way you eat.

thrustbucket 11-15-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WelcomePhoenix (Post 54812818)
Vitamix 5200 and Blendtec Total Blender at Costco are about the same price (just called and checked), but I'm not sure which one to get. I'm leaning towards Blendtec as it doesn't have the "stick" like the Vitamix does (not too crazy about that technology). Will use frozen fruits for smoothies, but did come across someone on here saying it won't blend too nicely if frozen. Any thoughts, suggestions?!? It appears the Blendec is more powerful though.

Thanks for the feedback!

If you get the Blendtec right now (about the same price as this) you can get a free wildside jar here: http://www.blendtec.com/sharethelove which are normally $100. You just pay $13 shipping. That makes the blendtec a MUCH better bargain.

Actually if you buy the blendtec that comes with just one jar it should be under $300. For some reason vitamix is more expensive.

The free jars are because blendtec successfully sued vitamix for stealing their wildside design, so they are sharing a million dolalrs of the 11 million they got from the lawsuit with their customers via free product.

Redrum509 11-15-2012 11:19 AM

This is the everyday price for the 5200 at Costco. Bought mine in July for the price. Use it almost everyday and is worth the cash.

Redrum509 11-15-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Lol you have no idea. I put a couple handfuls of frozen fruit along with ice to the top of the caintainer and turn the blender on and it makes the perfect smoothie with no slow down or having the motor smell like its about to blow. Look on YouTube there is plenty of videos.

gursharankang 11-15-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stilz (Post 54797216)
Vitamix or Blentec?

I believe Blentec came up with this design of 5 side jars and Vitamix pretty much copied it. But as of now, Vitamix offers more consistency and durability. Mechanical buttons they have work much better than the Blentec's touch/push buttons.

WelcomePhoenix 11-15-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thrustbucket (Post 54815312)
If you get the Blendtec right now (about the same price as this) you can get a free wildside jar here: http://www.blendtec.com/sharethelove which are normally $100. You just pay $13 shipping. That makes the blendtec a MUCH better bargain.

Actually if you buy the blendtec that comes with just one jar it should be under $300. For some reason vitamix is more expensive.

The free jars are because blendtec successfully sued vitamix for stealing their wildside design, so they are sharing a million dolalrs of the 11 million they got from the lawsuit with their customers via free product.

Thought it already comes with it - are below the sames one you you're talking about? So this is just an additional one they're sharing?

Jars:
WildSide jar with 4” cold-forged stainless steel blade
WildSide jar design shifts blending vortex to enhance performance creating consistent blends in a fraction of the time
FourSide jar with 3” cold-forged stainless steel blade

Foreveryours 11-15-2012 03:13 PM

Why drive a Bentley when a Suzuki will get you there?

Because I can. Don't be jelly. :rofl2:

JeffSimpson 11-15-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the feedback!

My comment about the tamper (stick thingie) is that it's really nice to have when you need it. It helps when making margaritas, but most of the time I use it when I've literally packed the container so tightly with vegetables it gets locked against the sides.

I'm not sure if you were commenting about the Vitamix or that other blender having problems with frozen fruit, but it's absolutely not true for the Vitamix, that's nearly all I use during the winter. It makes a thicker smoothie, like with ice cubes, but doesn't water it down so much.

Ace2377 11-15-2012 05:26 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the feedback!

I can say the "stick" is a WELCOME feature. When I first started using the blender I had forgotten about it and whatever I was blending just wasn't moving around enough to get it blended. Pushed the "stick" in it a couple times and it took off from there. So that is actually quite a handy feature of the blender. I have also used fresh and frozen fruit for smoothies and have had zero problems with frozen fruit. I did my homework on these two brands as well when I was about to purchase and it lead me to the Vitamix. After owning it for 3-4 months, I have zero regrets!

thadius65 11-15-2012 05:33 PM

Do what I did..... Best of both worlds. The Wildside is better at all but nut butters. I tested both myself and came to this conclusion. Sold the Blendtec and kept the VM. Was all good for a year or so, but missed the Wildside jar. I then noticed a company selling a WIldside that would fit a vitamix (search VM Wildside on eBay). I have had for a few weeks and now can DO IT ALL!

Enjoy!

PensoTroppo 11-15-2012 06:55 PM

Haters:

Your $30 blender won't blend an iPhone 4S:

http://www.willitblend.com/videos/view/129

thrustbucket 11-15-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace2377 (Post 54827320)
I can say the "stick" is a WELCOME feature. When I first started using the blender I had forgotten about it and whatever I was blending just wasn't moving around enough to get it blended. Pushed the "stick" in it a couple times and it took off from there. So that is actually quite a handy feature of the blender. I have also used fresh and frozen fruit for smoothies and have had zero problems with frozen fruit. I did my homework on these two brands as well when I was about to purchase and it lead me to the Vitamix. After owning it for 3-4 months, I have zero regrets!

Here is what blendtec thinks of vitamix's plunger stick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X...ults_video

adamp17 11-15-2012 09:32 PM

It's not a new deal, but it's also worth noting that you can get this model refurbished with 5 year warranty from Vitamix [vitamix.com] for $329. If you buy from Vitamix you can get free shipping with any number of codes on the web.

I'm a big fan of Vitamix machines and have been blogging about some of the things they can do at http://joyofblending.com

bd307 11-15-2012 09:48 PM

I sell restaurant supplies and equipment. Vitamix is the best brand you can get for blenders. Blentec has no comparison for its durability and consistent quality of products it processed when using long term.

Like others have said, this is not for you if you are using it only few times a month.

Tips for those interested at Vitamix or other commercial kitchen/restaurant products, shop around in your local fixtures stores. You can often negotiate pricing with them. Sometimes it is worth paying little extra for getting commercial graded products if you use it often enough.

pompaci 11-15-2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subzi (Post 54814832)

I have no need to buy an expensive blender, but if I do one day, I will buy a blentec just because of those "will it blend" videos. Clever marketing is clever and it is even better when there is substance to it.

madcyantist 11-16-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamp17 (Post 54833232)
It's not a new deal, but it's also worth noting that you can get this model refurbished with 5 year warranty from Vitamix [vitamix.com] for $329. If you buy from Vitamix you can get free shipping with any number of codes on the web.

I'm a big fan of Vitamix machines and have been blogging about some of the things they can do at http://joyofblending.com

thanks for the info and your blog looks awesome. bookmarked!

*edit* bought a refurb 5200 from that link, woot :)

PooMBA 11-16-2012 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madcyantist (Post 54847084)
thanks for the info and your blog looks awesome. bookmarked!

*edit* bought a refurb 5200 from that link, woot :)

Check out this model [costco.com] at Costco.
For $369.99 shipped, you get 8 years warranty and an additional jar.

Gafilta 11-17-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badandy538 (Post 54799620)
I agree it's a lot of money. But don't take it so personal lol.
Be angry at those people that spent $100+ on the Ninja. :shake:

I finally decided to make a SD account and wanted to respond to this...

I have a 1500 watt Ninja that I bought with tax and shipping for $180. I researched all different types of blenders/juicers/processors for what I wanted long before I made an investment (I consider $180 a lot of money!). I had a Magic Bullet which I liked for many things, but I would drink daily 1-3 green smoothies a day. No matter how much I shopped things, added water, etc, it was like I was drinking salsa. I had some fellow frugal green smoothie drinkers play with their's and many had similar experiences and ended up buying Blendtec and Vitamix with no problems at all. I just couldn't justify spending $400 (with taxes etc), for what I was looking for.

I do not intend to make my own soups, sorbets, or ice creams. Never been a soup drinker, hate sorbet, and only like ice cream from certain brands from time to time. I merely was looking for something that could make me green smoothies turning everything down to a liquid (my usual is chia seed, flax seed, celery, lemon, arugula, romaine lettuce, spinach, green apple, cashews, and water of course) so that I get all the vitamins and nutrition from the produce. I also wanted something to make almond milk, peanut butter, and almond butter. My Ninja does all these things well.

I considered the NutriBullet based on my budget and wants. Would have gone for this but I wanted something bigger so I got the Ninja. If I can find Black Friday ads for the Nutribullet, I would consider buying one merely because I travel frequently and it's the right "on the go" size.

Will the Ninja do all the things that a Blendtec and Vitamix do? Yes! Depends on the watts of course! The only people I really hear knocking the Ninja are the ones who paid extra for Blendtec and Vitamix who never gave the Ninja a shot, or Ninja buyers who paid less for less watts. I've known people who have had Ninja products for years too, so the long expectancy isn't crap.

Have had 0 problems with my Ninja. And no I haven't used it to make pizza or cookie dough LOL.

Badandy538 11-17-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gafilta (Post 54881976)
I finally decided to make a SD account and wanted to respond to this...

I have a 1500 watt Ninja that I bought with tax and shipping for $180. I researched all different types of blenders/juicers/processors for what I wanted long before I made an investment (I consider $180 a lot of money!). I had a Magic Bullet which I liked for many things, but I would drink daily 1-3 green smoothies a day. No matter how much I shopped things, added water, etc, it was like I was drinking salsa. I had some fellow frugal green smoothie drinkers play with their's and many had similar experiences and ended up buying Blendtec and Vitamix with no problems at all. I just couldn't justify spending $400 (with taxes etc), for what I was looking for.

I do not intend to make my own soups, sorbets, or ice creams. Never been a soup drinker, hate sorbet, and only like ice cream from certain brands from time to time. I merely was looking for something that could make me green smoothies turning everything down to a liquid (my usual is chia seed, flax seed, celery, lemon, arugula, romaine lettuce, spinach, green apple, cashews, and water of course) so that I get all the vitamins and nutrition from the produce. I also wanted something to make almond milk, peanut butter, and almond butter. My Ninja does all these things well.

I considered the NutriBullet based on my budget and wants. Would have gone for this but I wanted something bigger so I got the Ninja. If I can find Black Friday ads for the Nutribullet, I would consider buying one merely because I travel frequently and it's the right "on the go" size.

Will the Ninja do all the things that a Blendtec and Vitamix do? Yes! Depends on the watts of course! The only people I really hear knocking the Ninja are the ones who paid extra for Blendtec and Vitamix who never gave the Ninja a shot, or Ninja buyers who paid less for less watts. I've known people who have had Ninja products for years too, so the long expectancy isn't crap.

Have had 0 problems with my Ninja. And no I haven't used it to make pizza or cookie dough LOL.

I appreciate this response. I haven't invested in a blender yet, I'll take a look at this product. Maybe you can provide a link of your exact model?
This thread ended up being pretty good, with several different views on blenders, thanks.

Gafilta 11-17-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badandy538 (Post 54888030)
I appreciate this response. I haven't invested in a blender yet, I'll take a look at this product. Maybe you can provide a link of your exact model?
This thread ended up being pretty good, with several different views on blenders, thanks.

This was the model I bought
http://www.ninjakitchen.com/products/ninja-mega-kitchen-system-bl770/ppc/ogiva/ogivappcint.shtml?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Offer4AFreeBookFSHBL7701994Pay&utm_term=ninja%201500&utm_content={campaign}

There is a coupon too REGISTER4 that I used. You can get it for a few bucks more with that 20% off coupon at BB&B though.

It's just silly how quickly people will run out at buy a Vitamix and Blendtec for the name (and of course all the reviews for them are high) when there are similar, lower end products that have the same watts or higher (granted the Ninja isn't as "en vouge" as the other 2 because it isn't as heavily indorsed by celebrities and chefs) ! If someone doesn't want to research, spend more money on the Vitamix or Blendtec. If you do want to research look into all similar products basing it off the number of watts and what it can do based on what you want. If I was into stews and food like that, maybe I would have invested in a Vitamix but again, I would never use it for that purpose nor would I use it to destroy an MP3 player which I think a 1500 watt Ninja can do.

Before I bought the Ninja I was considering also buying the Vitamix at the same time and then doing a taste and consistency test returning the one that wasn't as good. Because the Ninja did what I wanted, no need to return it.

babak147 11-17-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlkBimM3r (Post 54802692)

& 90 day warranty from some foreign company purchased off the Internet (even if its through amazon) vs like 7 yrs from VitaMix USA & from Costco (forever guarantee).. To each his own, but ill pay for the VitaMix. Not to mention about half the wattage of both VitaMix & Blendtec & 3 speed vs variable or programmable...& all that counter space! I

Couldnt agree more. Worth every penny.

exiled1 11-18-2012 03:21 AM

man you people make it hard to decide...i need a blender for some healthy 'smoothies' now. does seem like a ton of money for an appliance like this...maybe ill go with the refurb vitamix...

have seen the nutribullet commercials, but I have not much faith in trendy infomercial crap...seems to do what i want though...idk

TheCoffeePrince 11-18-2012 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larry123 (Post 54796272)

When you buy these high end blenders, you're buying the motor horsepower.

Gafilta 11-18-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exiled1 (Post 54901594)
man you people make it hard to decide...i need a blender for some healthy 'smoothies' now. does seem like a ton of money for an appliance like this...maybe ill go with the refurb vitamix...

have seen the nutribullet commercials, but I have not much faith in trendy infomercial crap...seems to do what i want though...idk

If you know you will just be making smoothies though I personally think you will be wasting money for something a cheaper appliance would do for your purpose. It's like people who buy all the upgrades when they buy a new car. They either rarely use them, or never use them but like the idea of having them. I would also Youtube some videos of all the blenders you are interested in and watch people on them use the blenders. There was one I liked where the woman had 5 blenders and she just put into each one a whole orange and ice. The blenders ranged from $150 (Black and Decker I think?) to the Vitamix. The cheapest one did the same job as the Vitamix (maybe it was Blendtec), but the mid range ones weren't that good from what I remember.

I wouldn't knock the Nutribullet but your opinion seems pretty made up. I would love to get one and would have wanted one, but for daily use I wanted a larger size. For merely a smaller serving the Nutribullet is great value IMO.

With horse power, Vitamix 5200 with 1380 watts has 3 versus and the Ninja 1500 watts (the one I have) has 2 horse power. For most purposes it doesn't make a huge difference based on smoothies (however the difference between my Magic Bullet and a Ninja was night and day). Cannot speak for anything beyond juices and smoothies. If you have no idea what the hell you would do with a multipurpose blender/juicer/processor that I probably would spend extra money unless you know exactly what you would be using it for.

I had a roommate who had a huge, stainless steal commercial quality juicer that was $1000 or something. According to her, ANY appliance other than that is a waste of money.

firemedic1343 11-18-2012 11:15 AM

Vitamix and Blendtec both have a history of high quality and great warranties. I consider the slickest deals to be those of products that are good value and high craftsmanship with a company that backs it's product.

Vitamix and Blentec are both great, I'd go with either one. They are great if you are doing intensive blending. For many people it is overkill, but for many it's a better option than replacing the lesser blenders every year(and having continuous poor results from many cheaper blenders).

Juicers are great, I have an Omega masticating juicer, but if I had to choose 1, I'd keep my Vitamix(or Blendtec) over the juicer.

Badandy538 11-23-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gafilta (Post 54888640)
This was the model I bought
http://www.ninjakitchen.com/products/ninja-mega-kitchen-system-bl770/ppc/ogiva/ogivappcint.shtml?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Offer4AFreeBookFSHBL7701994Pay&utm_term=ninja%201500&utm_content={campaign}

There is a coupon too REGISTER4 that I used. You can get it for a few bucks more with that 20% off coupon at BB&B though.

It's just silly how quickly people will run out at buy a Vitamix and Blendtec for the name (and of course all the reviews for them are high) when there are similar, lower end products that have the same watts or higher (granted the Ninja isn't as "en vouge" as the other 2 because it isn't as heavily indorsed by celebrities and chefs) ! If someone doesn't want to research, spend more money on the Vitamix or Blendtec. If you do want to research look into all similar products basing it off the number of watts and what it can do based on what you want. If I was into stews and food like that, maybe I would have invested in a Vitamix but again, I would never use it for that purpose nor would I use it to destroy an MP3 player which I think a 1500 watt Ninja can do.

Before I bought the Ninja I was considering also buying the Vitamix at the same time and then doing a taste and consistency test returning the one that wasn't as good. Because the Ninja did what I wanted, no need to return it.

Thank you. I'm happy you decided to make an SD account!! I thought my only options were the blendtec and vitamix...I'm going to with the Ninja BL771 (1500W). Hopefully they make smooth smoothies!! :)