Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Deal Talk (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Amazon.com Gold Box 11/15: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (15-disc Extended Edition) Blu-ray $43.49 (http://slickdeals.net/f/5505126-amazon-com-gold-box-11-15-the-lord-of-the-rings-trilogy-15-disc-extended-edition-blu-ray-43-49)

thatdumbguy 11-15-2012 02:09 AM

Amazon.com Gold Box 11/15: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (15-disc Extended Edition) Blu-ray $43.49

65534 Attachment(s)
Amazon is selling The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (Extended Edition) on Blu-ray for $43.49.

The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (The Fellowship of the Ring / The Two Towers / The Return of the King Extended Editions) [Blu-ray] (2012) [amazon.com]

"Today only, save on the deluxe 15-disc set that includes extended editions of "The Fellowship of the Ring," "The Two Towers," and "The Return of the King" on Blu-ray. It also includes nine special feature DVDs with over 26 hours of spell-binding behind-the-moviemaking material and the rare "Costa Botes Documentaries."

Deal Ends 11/15 or as long as stock lasts, this is a Gold Box Event [amazon.com].

EDIT: There has been some confusion about this version vs. the 2011 version, as Amazon states that the 2012 version has a 1.77:1 aspect ratio (16:9). According to some research, and some common sense, this is believed to be a typo by a few posters here (myself included); it seems that the new edition was basically released just to remove the digital copy bonus that was included last year and is now expired. I had trouble finding any information on the common sites about the 2012 version, but Typeoserv seems to have found a link to the 2012 version at DVD Empire: POST 34

brisar 11-15-2012 02:09 AM

The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy Extended Edition 15-Disc Set (Blu-ray) $43 + Free Shipping

1 Attachment(s)
Amazon.com has The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy Extended Edition 15-Disc Set (Blu-ray) for $43.49 with free shipping. Thanks thatdumbguy

Includes Extended Editions of:
  • The Fellowship of the Ring
  • The Two Towers
  • The Return of the King
Price Research: Our research has shown that this The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy Extended Edition 15-Disc Set (Blu-ray) is $48 lower (53% savings) than the next best available price from a reputable merchant including shipping, with prices starting from $91 - brisar

wikipost 11-15-2012 02:09 AM

This post can and should be edited by users like you :)

Special Features
Note: Most of the bonus features are on DVDs, not Blu-ray Discs. The feature films are on Blu-ray.

Here are the picture ratings for the three Blu-rays in this set:

Fellowship of the Ring - Tier 1.75 [avsforum.com]

The Two Towers - Tier 2.25 [avsforum.com]

The Return of the King - Tier 1.5
[avsforum.com]

It should be noted the extended editions all have different Blu-ray transfers to the theatrical cuts on Blu-ray. The extended editions look much, much better on Blu-ray than the theatrical versions. *** This is subjective see the Green tinting problems that some experience.

burnttoast 11-15-2012 02:10 AM

15 disc? good lord. How extended is it!

xxxHolic 11-15-2012 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burnttoast (Post 54803342)
15 disc? good lord. How extended is it!

I think 13".

dealstorm 11-15-2012 02:51 AM

Anybody know the differences between this SKU (B007ZQAKHU, released 5/1/12) and the other SKU (B0026L7H20, released 6/28/11)?

Looks like the aspect ratio is different (this is 1.77:1, the other is 2.35:1), but I've read that Amazon's aspect ratio info isn't always reliable.

papashawn 11-15-2012 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dealstorm (Post 54803546)
Anybody know the differences between this SKU (B007ZQAKHU, released 5/1/12) and the other SKU (B0026L7H20, released 6/28/11)?

Looks like the aspect ratio is different (this is 1.77:1, the other is 2.35:1).

I can't tell the difference beside the aspect ratios either. The one thing I did notice is that the one listed for $77 shows "there is a new version of this item" and it links to the gold box $43 version. Strange. I really want this set! I'm a bit confused by the ratios though.

pablomoca 11-15-2012 03:11 AM

I've been waiting for this to go down in price for a long time now. I had the $77 version saved in my "wish list" and I did notice that it points to their being a new version of the item available which is the Gold Box item. I purchased it and I hope that there isn't anything horribly wrong with it. I guess I'll find out this weekend.

jjmai 11-15-2012 03:12 AM

I already have the extended edition on DVDs. Other than HD, what extra do these Blu-rays offer?

thatdumbguy 11-15-2012 04:06 AM

1.77:1 is a standard 16:9 resolution.

2.35:1 would leave black lines on the top and bottom, displaying a wider field of view but a smaller picture overall.

As to the aspect ratio's accuracy I cannot comment, but I can say the 2010 and 2011 editions were listed 2:35 (or .39 depending on which site).

The Warner Bros. site has the aspect ratio as "16X9 LETTERBOX" and I'm assuming that is where this comes from. Does this only apply to the bonus content? The movies themselves? I'm not sure, but it doesn't make much sense for them to change it now, considering it has been 2:35 to 1 since like... it was released (this includes the individually released blu-rays). Hopefully somebody has a more definitive answer soon.

EDIT: Also, I can't seem to find any information on the 2012 release anywhere, every site I look at has the 2011 release. I'm not sure that it is anything other then an internal change in Amazon's pages. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

thatdumbguy 11-15-2012 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjmai (Post 54803976)
I already have the extended edition on DVDs. Other than HD, what extra do these Blu-rays offer?

Here is an Amazon review [amazon.com] which addresses that very question.

Quoting the end:

"FINAL VERDICT-
If you own the extended DVD set, then buy this only if you want to have a great improvement in pictutre and sound quality. The only extra features you get is 'behind the scenes' DVDs. All other extra feature DVDs (total 6 of them) will be a duplication of what you already own in Extended DVD set. Actually, I noticed that all the extra feature DVDs here are from the various older DVD editions. The two DVDs are from the Extended DVD set, and the one 'behind the scene' is probably pulled from the limited editions of LOTR (the double sided DVDs that New Line Cinema released sometimes back)."

Scierli 11-15-2012 04:39 AM

I read in the reviews that the digital download codes expire in June of 2012... So I guess no digital copies with these?

eqtrian 11-15-2012 04:44 AM

After doing some research on the single Extended Edition releases, it appears that the green tint in FoTR was not fixed in that August 2012 release. So I would assume that this May 1, 2012 release of the extended trilogy also does not have the FoTR green tint issue fixed.

Still not buying until they fix this. They may not ever fix it.

psilver 11-15-2012 05:40 AM

I pre-ordered a trilogy form Walmart last October. Is that the same one as this?

Lord Of The Rings Original Motion Picture Trilogy (Blu-ray) (With Hobbit Movie Money) (Exclusive) (Widescreen); Format: Blu-ray 1 Arrives by Mon., Dec 10 $9.86

It might just be the movies itself (theatrical version) at that price? I'm thinking if I should order this one too.

jonyyeh 11-15-2012 05:44 AM

Extended editions blu rays vs. Theatrical version blu ray preorder on Walmart.com that I had placed a while ago.

Do I love the Lord of the Rings enough to get the extended editions for a longer experience with more backstories on Blu Ray?

I also noticed the stripped down extended editions DVDs with Hobbit Movie Money are being sold for $7.50 each on Walmart.com.

smoovranger 11-15-2012 06:30 AM

I think the Extended Editions are worth it, especially at this price.

Thanks OP!

From the Amazon comments:
Generic says:
If you use Google, you'll find an explanation for the "new" 2012 release of the Extended Edition set on blu ray:
When the *Extended* version of each movie was made available for sale on Blu Ray individually (previously available only in the set), the set also was re-released at the same time, with no other change than removal of the digital copy references. In other words, the discs in this set are the same as in the 2011 set and the packaging differs only slightly.

I can't vouch for that personally, but I read that at a few different professional review websites enough times to make the explanation seem legitimate. This means they have the same aspect ratio too, btw.

I bought mine at $49.99 as a BF special last year, right here on Amazon. It is very nice and I have no regrets.

ponyboy10 11-15-2012 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatdumbguy (Post 54804338)
Here is an Amazon review [amazon.com] which addresses that very question.

Quoting the end:

"FINAL VERDICT-
If you own the extended DVD set, then buy this only if you want to have a great improvement in pictutre and sound quality. The only extra features you get is 'behind the scenes' DVDs. All other extra feature DVDs (total 6 of them) will be a duplication of what you already own in Extended DVD set. Actually, I noticed that all the extra feature DVDs here are from the various older DVD editions. The two DVDs are from the Extended DVD set, and the one 'behind the scene' is probably pulled from the limited editions of LOTR (the double sided DVDs that New Line Cinema released sometimes back)."

Thanks! I have the old extended edition DVDs. This is a good deal, but considering I haven't even watched those yet, I might have to pass on this one.

AJay17 11-15-2012 06:43 AM

Awesome, bought!

steveliv 11-15-2012 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psilver (Post 54805234)
I pre-ordered a trilogy form Walmart last October. Is that the same one as this?

Lord Of The Rings Original Motion Picture Trilogy (Blu-ray) (With Hobbit Movie Money) (Exclusive) (Widescreen); Format: Blu-ray 1 Arrives by Mon., Dec 10 $9.86

It might just be the movies itself (theatrical version) at that price? I'm thinking if I should order this one too.

I got in on that great deal as well. The one we are purchased from walmart is the theatrical blu ray release, this one on amazon is the extended version, i.e. directors cut.

joker999 11-15-2012 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eqtrian (Post 54804504)
After doing some research on the single Extended Edition releases, it appears that the green tint in FoTR was not fixed in that August 2012 release. So I would assume that this May 1, 2012 release of the extended trilogy also does not have the FoTR green tint issue fixed.

Still not buying until they fix this. They may not ever fix it.

OH the green tint debate. Yea its there, but honestly I think PJ wasn't incredibly wrong in doing this I actually wasn't put off by it. In fact forgot it was there until I stumbled across someone crying about it again. But to each their own, just like all the Star Wars releases we'll probably never see the incredible Laserdisc releases on DVD/Blu Ray (ok ok ok we may NOW that Lucas is no longer in charge buuuuuuuuuuuuut...) this will never change since PJ did it intentionally so either suck it up and judge for yourself (and if you don't like it for the $44 here I'm sure someone you know would still gladly take it for a gift even opened and watch for all of 10 min) or keep moving along :)

I'm not buying this because I have them on DVD and don't watch them enough but it sure is damn tempting at this price, but I know they'll do some killer release with Hobbit and I'll have to buy that then...sigh

Androly-San 11-15-2012 06:53 AM

YEEEES!!! I've been waiting for this extended set to come down in price. Saw 'em on Amazon, bought 'em, came to SD and it was front page, lol.

jbloggs 11-15-2012 07:01 AM

I'll wait for the 90-disc super extended version that includes The Hobbit movies :D

big mike 11-15-2012 07:02 AM

In for one, for less than 15 bucks a film for all of them at MAAAAAXimum quality I'll finally sit down and watch them...

RugerRedhawk 11-15-2012 07:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
15 discs?

dealspider 11-15-2012 07:15 AM

Tempted to buy.

Ardrid 11-15-2012 07:15 AM

I'm extremely tempted to grab this but I can't help thinking it might be $30 at some places on BF. Doesn't help that I scored the theatrical edition for $8 due to a Target ad flub.

theGr81 11-15-2012 07:17 AM

oh cheapest this has been since last BF... this is one of the main things i been looking to buy this BF but not my price point yet so i will wait but very tempted... thanx OP!

clearanceman 11-15-2012 07:18 AM

If you want this, get it, it will sell out.

ben_r_ 11-15-2012 07:21 AM

Bah! Couldn't help myself. Forty bucks is just too cheap to pass up. Well see about this green tint business. I'll just return them if it's unbearable.

gazr 11-15-2012 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RugerRedhawk (Post 54806922)
15 discs?

Love the picture...someone watches Tosh.O?

matchnbpm 11-15-2012 07:29 AM

Would totally jump on this if I didnt already get in on that $10 Walmart 3 disc bluray deal with ticket money as well.. The way I see it, Ill only watch these movies maybe once a year and never watch the bonus scenes, so for me, not really worth it.. but still, Great Deal!

wellington 11-15-2012 07:34 AM

Would jump on this is the aspect ratio was 2.35:1

typeoserv 11-15-2012 07:35 AM

still cant find any info on 1.77:1 vs 2.35:1

although i did find a fun fact regarding filming of the fellowship of the ring :)

"About 3,100 shots (78% of the Super 35 film) were color graded at Colorfront in Wellington, NZ using 5D Colossus software after being scanned by an Imagica XE scanner full 2K resolution (2048*1536). The color-graded shots were then recorded on Kodak 5242 intermediate film by two Arri Laser film recorders at 10 bits per channel. Because only 78% of the film was digital, a digitally squeezed anamorphic print could not be made for the whole movie. Instead, the digital shots were recorded on an inter-negative hardmatted at 1.77:1, intercut with the non-digital original negative (which had been color timed by The Film Unit, NZ), and printed to 2.39:1 anamorphic Kodak film using an optical printer at Deluxe, LA. Fuji 3519-D was used for release prints."

bilditup1 11-15-2012 07:41 AM

Guys: seriously. Have any of you ever heard of films shot at 2.35:1 being panned and scanned to Academy Flat (1.78:1)? I've only ever seen this happen for television. NEVER for a BluRay release. This is *clearly* a typo.

I have seen screenshots from 'Fellowship of the Ring'. It looks like they applied the same color grading as friggin' The Matrix. This can be corrected after the fact by ripping and following recoloring guides for this specific film (I had one a few months ago but can't find it now), but who wants to deal with that? So I'm on the fence right now.

typeoserv 11-15-2012 07:43 AM

found on DVD Empire, Both list Widescreen 2.40:1 Color
betting its an amazon typo. WB wouldn't spend all that money to reframe these. wonder if they jsut updated the digital copy expiration.

2012 Version:
http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_...id=1614298

2011 Version:
http://www.dvdempire.com/Exec/v4_...id=1570470

charlie hustle 11-15-2012 07:46 AM

43 bucks for 15 discs seems cheap, not sure what people are whinging about.

thatdumbguy 11-15-2012 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by typeoserv (Post 54807772)
betting its an amazon typo. WB wouldn't spend all that money to reframe these. wonder if they jsut updated the digital copy expiration.

2012 Version:

2011 Version:

I agree, and I'll update the original post to help clear the confusion. Thanks for the links!

NM 156 11-15-2012 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by typeoserv (Post 54807772)

2012 Version:

2011 Version:

Different ASIN on both... Possibly just a re-issue of the same set... Like they do with music.

calisurfboy 11-15-2012 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scierli (Post 54804480)
I read in the reviews that the digital download codes expire in June of 2012... So I guess no digital copies with these?

There are two SKUs. The 2011 SKU, which this deal is not for, had codes that expired in June 2012. I do not know if the codes were updated for the 2012 SKU which this deal is for.

I received the 2011 SKU for xmas. I just downloaded the digital copies two months ago. The codes were expired but iTunes still honored the codes. They did this for other movies as well that had expired codes; Wanted, Serenity, etc. Unfortunately they did not honor expired codes from Star Trek or Transformers. It is kind of a crapshoot if iTunes recognizes expired codes or not. I know that some movies extend deadlines on the codes.

psilver 11-15-2012 07:50 AM

I hate to say this on this thread but I'm not going to lie, I fell asleep on the 2nd movie. I think partly because I was tired but I find it too long and nothing much was happening in MY opinion. I LOVE the cinematography and that kind of stuff but I'm not sure if it is worth buying it since I did order the walmart theatrical version "just to have it on my collection". Still debating if this is worth the money for a guy like me. I did not watch the third movie yet. Peer pressure! Should I buy it just because I like the package and MIGHT like the movie if I watch it with a refreshed mind? Hmmm.... I don't want to miss the deal if I do like it. Ugh.

Scierli 11-15-2012 07:53 AM

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by calisurfboy (Post 54807972)
There are two SKUs. The 2011 SKU, which this deal is not for, had codes that expired in June 2012. I do not know if the codes were updated for the 2012 SKU which this deal is for.

I received the 2011 SKU for xmas. I just downloaded the digital copies two months ago. The codes were expired but iTunes still honored the codes. They did this for other movies as well that had expired codes; Wanted, Serenity, etc. Unfortunately they did not honor expired codes from Star Trek or Transformers. It is kind of a crapshoot if iTunes recognizes expired codes or not. I know that some movies extend deadlines on the codes.

Fantastic - Thanks

rockmo 11-15-2012 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psilver (Post 54807976)
I hate to say this on this thread but I'm not going to lie, I fell asleep on the 2nd movie. I think partly because I was tired but I find it too long and nothing much was happening in MY opinion. I LOVE the cinematography and that kind of stuff but I'm not sure if it is worth buying it since I did order the walmart theatrical version "just to have it on my collection". Still debating if this is worth the money for a guy like me. I did not watch the third movie yet. Peer pressure! Should I buy it just because I like the package and MIGHT like the movie if I watch it with a refreshed mind? Hmmm.... I don't want to miss the deal if I do like it. Ugh.

Don't waste your money. You know how it ends!:lol:

psilver 11-15-2012 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockmo (Post 54808218)

Ah, I know, I'll wait for guys like me but bought it anyway to sell them back... at $10 or something. lol Need to be frugal lately to save up for a house. I think I'll pass. This is a VERY good deal though. Hard to say no but I have to. :( I already spend $50 for blus and waiting for the black friday deals. Enjoy! :)

wellington 11-15-2012 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockmo (Post 54808218)

In the super secret hidden ending on disc 39, the Ents kill everyone.

thatdumbguy 11-15-2012 08:10 AM

At the end of the 15th disc Frodo's grandchildren die of old age.

NM 156 11-15-2012 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calisurfboy (Post 54807972)

So it's just a 2012 re-issue of the same set...

psilver 11-15-2012 08:13 AM

I assume this is a fantasy past because there are no laser guns and holodecks so.... I assume everybody is dead by now and nothing else matters... Okay, I'm still looking for someone to make me change my mind. LOL!

Why do I have a feeling another version will come out in the future?

fskof 11-15-2012 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bilditup1 (Post 54807746)
Guys: seriously. Have any of you ever heard of films shot at 2.35:1 being panned and scanned to Academy Flat (1.78:1)? I've only ever seen this happen for television. NEVER for a BluRay release. This is *clearly* a typo.

Yes, The Lookout is a 2.35 film, and the original BD release was 2.35, but it was recently re-released at 1.78, and I'm not sure if the OAR version is still available in stores. Now, I'm sure that's not what's happening here, this is definitely just a mistake by Amazon, because we'd have heard endless rage about it by now. But it's not completely unprecedented.

For me, this is still too much. I have all the extended editions on DVD, so I have all the bonus content. The green tint screenshots I've seen annoy me, though I'm sure it's not as bad when you're actually watching it. Just getting the movies in HD (and downgrading from the nice EE DVD set packaging) isn't worth this much to me, I can wait for it to go cheaper.

MacFrugal 11-15-2012 08:21 AM

Wow 15 discs and a million hours of content! I'll put my life on hold for a month.

I like a good boxset, but this thing is overkill.

slickgrapes 11-15-2012 08:30 AM

This is a joke. At the best price ever you're still paying 15 bucks per movie. Bonus features shouldn't even be called "Bonus" if they are going to charge you 2-3+ TIMES AS MUCH as the actual movie. You can buy the trilogy for 12 bucks from walmart right now. So you're paying THIRTY DOLLARS AKA 3 times as much, for some extra features?! That's like buying a new car for 20k, but you want extra features (leather, mp3 player, etc) so they jack the price up to 60k :)

Hawk2007 11-15-2012 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6grapes (Post 54809148)
This is a joke. At the best price ever you're still paying 15 bucks per movie. Bonus features shouldn't even be called "Bonus" if they are going to charge you 2-3+ TIMES AS MUCH as the actual movie. You can buy the trilogy for 12 bucks from walmart right now. So you're paying THIRTY DOLLARS AKA 3 times as much, for some extra features?! That's like buying a new car for 20k, but you want extra features (leather, mp3 player, etc) so they jack the price up to 60k :)

Those are the theatrical cuts.... these are the extended editions.

Also, most directors cuts/extended editions have like 10 minutes more footage, these have like 50 mins. It's like all the scenes are just extended with longer intros and sequence scores.

To each his own. Personally, I think the theatrical cuts are quite suitable.

billbillw 11-15-2012 08:34 AM

Not in. I think I've given enough money to the franchise. Saw all 3 movies in the theater. Bought 2 versions of the DVDs and the single disc theatrical Bluray discs. That's enough....

TigerMike 11-15-2012 08:35 AM

It looks like this set is the 5/2012 release. When comparing versions, I found an updated 11/6/2012 set of these movies at both Best Buy and Walmart for over $100 for the set. I wonder what is in the very recently released set that is different? Maybe that's why this set is cheap. I want to jump on this, but not if the latest version is the one to get. Anyone know what's up with the 11/2012 release?

Edit: Only thing I can maybe see is that the 11/2012 version apparently comes with Hobbit movie money, maybe that's the reason for the recent version. I wonder if the films themselves are the same on both versions. Have no real idea...

Foreveryours 11-15-2012 08:38 AM

Extended cuts should be viewed at least once. Replay value, however, is not so great; I prefer re-watching the theatrical cut any day. Having said that, if the extended edition offered the theatrical version, I'd be all over it.

Melzen 11-15-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wellington (Post 54808388)
In the super secret hidden ending on disc 39, the Ents kill everyone.

:lol:

bilditup1 11-15-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fskof (Post 54808852)
Yes, The Lookout is a 2.35 film, and the original BD release was 2.35, but it was recently re-released at 1.78, and I'm not sure if the OAR version is still available in stores. Now, I'm sure that's not what's happening here, this is definitely just a mistake by Amazon, because we'd have heard endless rage about it by now. But it's not completely unprecedented.

Wow. I'm sorry, but that is ridiculous.

hpdad 11-15-2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

I am like you. Didn't finished the 1st . Haven't watched the 2nd and 3rd. Bought the theatrical version form WM because.... well, everyone was buying :). But I couldn't bring myself for this. Good price for anyone who was into this movie.

Ignatius 11-15-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

$13 at Walmart gets you the DVD theatrical edition. This is the extended Blu-ray edition with 9 extra Blu-ray disks of bonus features.

For the record, Walmart also has this set, broken into three separate boxes for $25 apiece.

Dyrt 11-15-2012 08:47 AM

This is not WIDESCREEN

big mike 11-15-2012 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignatius (Post 54809482)
$13 at Walmart gets you the DVD theatrical edition. This is the extended Blu-ray edition with 9 extra Blu-ray disks of bonus features.

For the record, Walmart also has this set, broken into three separate boxes for $25 apiece.

The 9 extra discs are DVDs from what I've read, but regardless, this is the Blu Ray extended version for 15 bucks a movie, that's not bad in and of itself, plus all the extra stuff as a bonus.

Dyrt 11-15-2012 08:48 AM

This deal is NOT WIDESCREEN !!!

joeH1974 11-15-2012 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dyrt (Post 54809620)
This is not WIDESCREEN

Wow...you registered just to post this?

Are you thinking that the Blu-ray is pan and scan? :lmao:

Ignatius 11-15-2012 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big mike (Post 54809628)
The 9 extra discs are DVDs from what I've read, but regardless, this is the Blu Ray extended version for 15 bucks a movie, that's not bad in and of itself, plus all the extra stuff as a bonus.

Well that's pretty sneaky. My bad. :(

big mike 11-15-2012 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dyrt (Post 54809632)

OMG I just bought the 4:3 Bluray version of these movies?!?ONE!!!

TigerMike 11-15-2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dyrt (Post 54809632)

Format: Box set, DTS Surround Sound, NTSC, Subtitled, Widescreen

This poster is A MORON!!!

calisurfboy 11-15-2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

This is what I like about Lord of the Rings. There are two versions.

There is the first version, theatrical, for the general audience that trims out most of the "fluff" to allow a wide audience to enjoy the film. The second version, extended, includes that fluff for fans dramatically expanding upon the world you love and enjoy as well as adding to character development and story.

I wish Harry Potter did this. Those movies were released as theatrical but they feel more like extended films filled with a lot of fluff and truly lack a theatrical version. I am a fan of the novels (due to reading to my children) but the movies were incredibly long and dull with many scenes that could of been removed or expanded upon unnecessarily.

I cannot get more than halfway through the first film and I am out like a light.

nycdude 11-15-2012 08:59 AM

Good deal. Not as good as the walmart $35 deal but hey who am I to complain since I got mine for $50. :(

investor 27 11-15-2012 09:00 AM

And if I get this version, what would I do when the "3D" version will come out eventually? And didn't Walmart have the Extended Blu-ray version fro $35 a few months ago?

fskof 11-15-2012 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by investor 27 (Post 54809996)
And if I get this version, what would I do when the "3D" version will come out eventually?

Be happy that you don't have to watch a cheesy post-processed 3D version?

nycdude 11-15-2012 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by investor 27 (Post 54809996)
And if I get this version, what would I do when the "3D" version will come out eventually?

ask if a 3D version is even worth seeing. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by fskof (Post 54810106)
Be happy that you don't have to watch a cheesy post-processed 3D version?

+1

plong 11-15-2012 09:24 AM

Obligatory:
"How Lord of the Rings Should Have Ended"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-14bpG1LGU

Obviously, spoiler potential here if you've never seen movies/books, but this is still funny.

danull 11-15-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ikonoklast (Post 54810124)
Will it extend my penis?

To its full 3 inches, yep.

:wave:

billbillw 11-15-2012 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignatius (Post 54809482)

Walmart has run several specials on the single theatrical BluRays. I bought them last holiday season for ~$10 each and I believe they have been lower since then. I think the add for this Black Friday has them at $4 each. That is instore, but they often have the same or similar deals online.

Hawk2007 11-15-2012 09:31 AM

Do 4:3 P&S blu-rays exist?

I mean, I know for old stuff filmed in 4:3 like Star Trek amongst a plethora of other TV shows in that era from the beginning to maybe late 90's, and many old films.... but like anything natively filmed in standard widescreen 16:9 or 2.35:1 or other AR's, have there been P&S chop jobs released on blu-ray?

Jude72 11-15-2012 09:32 AM

My release day version that says 2.35.1 on Amazon is actually 2.4:1 on the back of the box. We've been discussing this over at Blu-ray forums. Looks like the 1.77:1 is definitely a typo (as per the post on the other page with the links about it). Why on earth they'd cut the OAR to 1.77:1 is beyond me and like someone posted over at the blu-ray forums, there would be uproar in half of the reviews at Amazon if that was the case.

Hawk2007 11-15-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billbillw (Post 54810756)
Walmart has run several specials on the single theatrical BluRays. I bought them last holiday season for ~$10 each and I believe they have been lower since then. I think the add for this Black Friday has them at $4 each. That is instore, but they often have the same or similar deals online.

You can buy all three for $12 plus $2 ship at wal-mart right now. They are the THEATRICAL Cuts.

The one with hobbit movie money is like $30 which was the slickdeal from a few months ago. I guess Wal-mart switched the two up and gave the better one for $12.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jude72 (Post 54810894)
My release day version that says 2.35.1 on Amazon is actually 2.4:1 on the back of the box. We've been discussing this over at Blu-ray forums. Looks like the 1.77:1 is definitely a typo (as per the post on the other page with the links about it). Why on earth they'd cut the OAR to 1.77:1 is beyond me and like someone posted over at the blu-ray forums, there would be uproar in half of the reviews at Amazon if that was the case.

you should be able to search the ISBN on amazon and reference against the studio's websites.

sacflies 11-15-2012 09:38 AM

Have no desire to ever see these movies again. They were pretty good movies, but are the type I only need to see once and I'm done.

DQue 11-15-2012 09:55 AM

The way I look at it is it's not the cost to buy the item ($43.49) but the lost time I have to spend watching all the "extra/extended" materials. And for a movie like LOTR, it's just not worth that lost time which I can use for other things like time with my family, ie. playing/watching sport events, or playing with my kid, so on so forth.

Even if I get the item for FREE, I still refuse it since there's no time slot for it anyway.

Raylon 11-15-2012 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DQue (Post 54811706)
The way I look at it is it's not the cost to buy the item ($43.49) but the lost time I have to spend watching all the "extra/extended" materials. And for a movie like LOTR, it's just not worth that lost time which I can use for other things like time with my family, ie. playing/watching sport events, or playing with my kid, so on so forth.

Even if I get the item for FREE, I still refuse it since there's no time slot for it anyway.

Must suck to have no free time in your life. Picked this up for $13 after soe credit and rewards I had. Good stuff.

DQue 11-15-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raylon (Post 54811860)
Must suck to have no free time in your life. Picked this up for $13 after soe credit and rewards I had. Good stuff.

Can't agree more. Lost for me, but a big gain for my family. So I can live with that.

Foreveryours 11-15-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DQue (Post 54812126)
Can't agree more. Lost for me, but a big gain for my family. So I can live with that.

Some do not have the luxury of having a family or friends, take it easy.

xAlias 11-15-2012 10:18 AM

How is this compared to the $10 walmart deal on the blu-ray set with the hobbit money?

ritmomundo 11-15-2012 10:27 AM

I picked up the bluray trilogy at Target for 7 bucks a couple years ago. I'm not a huge fan of the movies, but I did enjoy them. How different is the extended edition from the theatrical version, and is it worth upgrading at this price?

salraf 11-15-2012 10:27 AM

I picked this blu-ray set last year when amazon had it for $50 i think. I had the original extended release version of all 3 as well that were gifts.
Son and I just watched two towers part one last weekend and the audio and visuals are definitely enhanced with the blu-ray version. I figured it was something nice to have for the collection.

I expect prices to be going down even further with the release of the Hobbit next month

t00thless 11-15-2012 10:35 AM

If you love LOTR than the extended editions are hands down the better version. Each movie is MUCH longer with many high quality character development scenes etc they shouldve left in imo, the trilogy is hours longer than the original... it will make the series new for you if you have not already seen the extended versions. BUT this set was $40 a couple times before if I remember correctly, so it will prob come back to that or lower very soon with black friday/the hobbit/christmas etc.

oyouno 11-15-2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ritmomundo (Post 54813200)
I picked up the bluray trilogy at Target for 7 bucks a couple years ago. I'm not a huge fan of the movies, but I did enjoy them. How different is the extended edition from the theatrical version, and is it worth upgrading at this price?

The extended is nice, especially a great scene with the litch king and gandalf.
But for 5x more the price as what you paid for the theatrical? nah not worth that.
maybe 0.5x more.

Also,
This set was 35.99 at walmart about 7months ago. It was also 44-45 on amazon and frys 5months ago. So this isnt that slick of a deal imo.

They should of included a free hobbit ticket to make it a slick deal or lowered the price 10more dollars.

yoshiiaki 11-15-2012 10:55 AM

Thanks OP. I'm going to have to hop on this on. Will have to check BF sales first to verify it's the lowest price but probably worth paying the extra just to save the hassel of BF. Those who have never seen the movies or just haven't completed them, I would say it's best to watch the theatrical version over extended as the extended does tend to drag things out to better explain. If you've seen the theatrical and wondered if there was more, but didn't want to read the books, watch the extended. I for one cannot watch the theatrical, if i'm wathing the movie it has to be extended. And if i find someone willing to watch it but end up watching the theatrical...I end up watching the extended later that week. I want to read the books, but figure that would then take away from the extended movies...I think most big name series should be like this. If you want the straight to the point movie get the theatrical, if you want the extended fluffed-up version get the extended. I know some people that would watch Harry Potter if it had a shorter "theatrical" version and the current version could be considered "extended".

charlie hustle 11-15-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

The extended cuts are far superior IMO with important things like "hey that evil wizard kinda just disappeared" actually addressed in these longer version. I refused to buy the theatrical cut or pay more than 50 for the extended but 15/movie for three very long movies seems reasonable to me.

Lobbymonster 11-15-2012 11:06 AM

The Wiki post has me confused. Are the "extended" parts of the movie blu-ray or separate DVDs? I was hoping for the extended parts of the film to be blu-ray and possibly incorporated into the movie? Rep for whoever answers my question. Thanks!

ritmomundo 11-15-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oyouno (Post 54814366)
The extended is nice, especially a great scene with the litch king and gandalf.
But for 5x more the price as what you paid for the theatrical? nah not worth that.
maybe 0.5x more.

Also,
This set was 35.99 at walmart about 7months ago. It was also 44-45 on amazon and frys 5months ago. So this isnt that slick of a deal imo.

They should of included a free hobbit ticket to make it a slick deal or lowered the price 10more dollars.

Thanks for the info. In that case, I think I'll pass on this deal.

I actually had completely forgotten that I already have the extended editions of FotR and Two Towers on DVD (which I bought when they first came out, and they are still new in the shrink-wrap!).

ritmomundo 11-15-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lobbymonster (Post 54814888)
The Wiki post has me confused. Are the "extended" parts of the movie blu-ray or separate DVDs? I was hoping for the extended parts of the film to be blu-ray and possibly incorporated into the movie? Rep for whoever answers my question. Thanks!

The extended bits should play naturally with the movie, as if they were never cut out. So they will be on the bluray. Thats my understanding... The bonus DVDs will be behind the scenes kind of stuff and other extras.

Lobbymonster 11-15-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ritmomundo (Post 54815042)
The extended bits should play naturally with the movie, as if they were never cut out. So they will be on the bluray. Thats my understanding... The bonus DVDs will be behind the scenes kind of stuff and other extras.

Okay. Thanks a bunch!

derekjet 11-15-2012 11:15 AM

My DVDs are still sealed from 5 years ago. Nice deal for those who'll watch them.

tgpumpkin 11-15-2012 11:16 AM

Hmmm, I don't remember the $35 Walmart deal for this (not saying it didn't happen, just don't remember it). Cheapest I remember is $50.

I'm in for 1. I have the extended DVD's already but LOTR is one of those franchises worth buying again at a higher quality film/sound. Not only that, at least we have the peace of mind that they didn't add aliens or find ways to completely alter scenes by adding script that wasn't there unlike some other legendary classics that were ruined on Blu-Ray...

Xenomorph 11-15-2012 11:21 AM

Funny. I ordered this set last year for about $40 and just got around to watching them now. Missed out on getting the bonus digital copies.

DanielHay 11-15-2012 11:25 AM

Pick up the films alone on Blu Ray for 8.99 each at: http://www.wbshop.com/category/mo...riceAscend

big mike 11-15-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielHay (Post 54815646)
Pick up the films alone on Blu Ray for 8.99 each at: http://www.wbshop.com/category/mo...riceAscend

I cant hit the link direct at work, but I believe those are the THEATRICAL versions, which isn't the same thing, they list the extended at 24 bucks a pop

NM 156 11-15-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Are the extended versions sold individually?...

Damocles 11-15-2012 11:33 AM

i let my 7 yo read the books, but i don't think he's ready for the greatness of the films yet. i'll wait for them to get cheaper before reinvesting in bluray. i've got about 6 years. :lol:

franke46 11-15-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ritmomundo (Post 54815042)

I have this set. I did not like some of the changes vs the theatrical version, some small plot points are entirely different, like the arrival to the "Realm of the lady of the wood", when they are surprised by the elves. Does not happen, now they just kind of come in as guests...weird. And overall the extended parts do feel over-extended to me. I actually have the teathrical version on order and this one will be going in the ebay chopping block...My own opinion only of course, others like this version better.

Saboth 11-15-2012 11:43 AM

I pulled the trigger on this. Big fan of the movies. One of the few movies that inspires awe in me. With The Hobbit coming up, I'm going to watch these again, and I've never seen the extended versions. The real question is...can I get the wife to sit through these...

DanielHay 11-15-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big mike (Post 54815760)
I cant hit the link direct at work, but I believe those are the THEATRICAL versions, which isn't the same thing, they list the extended at 24 bucks a pop

Yes they are the standard versions, which would be why I said the films alone meaning without the extra content.

MentatYP 11-15-2012 11:54 AM

Great deal for those in the market.

Personally I won't buy this. I got the theatrical versions gifted to me last year and still have the extended DVDs (and theatrical DVDs!). My beef with this set is the extras are all SD, not HD. Peter Jackson has talked about doing a proper release of the extended Blu-rays with additional extra features and some of the existing extras rescanned in HD. He had already started work on that before The Hobbit situation with del Toro fell apart and he had to swoop in to direct it, and now it's likely that they won't come out until all the Hobbit movies are out. It's gonna be tough to wait 6 years and if this set dips to $30 or less in the meantime I might lose my conviction :) but for now I'm refraining from quadruple-dipping with a quintuple-dip on the horizon in a few years.

big mike 11-15-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielHay (Post 54816468)
Yes they are the standard versions, which would be why I said the films alone meaning without the extra content.

"extra content" suggested to me the 9 dvd's of "bonus features", not the extra half hour of actual movie that is missing buying the theatrical releases instead of the extended cuts. It's apples/oranges and has been beaten to death in this thread already.

oyouno 11-15-2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ritmomundo (Post 54814900)
Thanks for the info. In that case, I think I'll pass on this deal.

I actually had completely forgotten that I already have the extended editions of FotR and Two Towers on DVD (which I bought when they first came out, and they are still new in the shrink-wrap!).

lol
definitely watch them then!

Bucketroo 11-15-2012 12:20 PM

Good deal! In for 1 and repped!
Stop whining!

Solarjetman 11-15-2012 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joker999 (Post 54806574)
just like all the Star Wars releases we'll probably never see the incredible Laserdisc releases on DVD/Blu Ray (ok ok ok we may NOW that Lucas is no longer in charge buuuuuuuuuuuuut...)

A little off topic, but its a common misconception. Disney bought the rights to the Star Wars franchise, but they did not buy the rights to the existing 6 movies. This means, for example, lets say Disney makes 3 more movies, they cannot release a set of all 9 movies without getting permission to include the first 6. They also couldn't release them alone without getting permission.

baluvee 11-15-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerMike (Post 54809784)
Format: Box set, DTS Surround Sound, NTSC, Subtitled, Widescreen

This poster is A MORON!!!

I agree, but Amazon has other formats, which lists wide screen format as 77.99
so what format is this $43.49 ?

goibhniu 11-15-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloggs (Post 54806846)
I'll wait for the 90-disc super extended version that includes The Hobbit movies :D

I almost jumped on it until I saw this. What was I thinking?

clearanceman 11-15-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goibhniu (Post 54818940)
I almost jumped on it until I saw this. What was I thinking?

Oh for crying out loud. .If you like these things, get this and be done with it. You can pick up the Hobbit later for cheap.

TheSLAP 11-15-2012 02:01 PM

I'm still waiting to see if my previous order will go through or not. Picked up the Trilogy on Blu-Ray +Hobbit Movie Money for $12.96.... it's currently "processing" through Walmart.com and I haven't received a cancellation e-mail. Says it should should by 12/6/12

Also for those of you looking for the theatrical version: Link [walmart.com]

robotheart 11-15-2012 02:17 PM

The $77 one has been in my Wishlist/Cart since I missed out on it at (I think) $50 last BF. The cheapest I've seen it since is around $60, so even with sucky CA sales tax, this is still the best deal.

Hawk2007 11-15-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solarjetman (Post 54818286)
A little off topic, but its a common misconception. Disney bought the rights to the Star Wars franchise, but they did not buy the rights to the existing 6 movies. This means, for example, lets say Disney makes 3 more movies, they cannot release a set of all 9 movies without getting permission to include the first 6. They also couldn't release them alone without getting permission.

did not know that....

repped.

budkilmer21 11-15-2012 02:27 PM

To me the extended versions are much better movies but they will not be for everyone. My only concern is I think it will be even cheaper on BF.

bigemu1 11-15-2012 02:34 PM

Been waiting, and waiting for this again. Thanks OP!

Fincoon 11-15-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billbillw (Post 54809228)
Not in. I think I've given enough money to the franchise. Saw all 3 movies in the theater. Bought 2 versions of the DVDs and the single disc theatrical Bluray discs. That's enough....

I've given enough of my money to this franchise also. I saw all 3 movies multiple times, bought the theatrical versions on DVD, then the box editions on DVDs, then the 15-disc Extended Blu-Rays last Black Friday, and finally the Blu-Rays wth The Hobbit Movie money from Wal-Mart. I'm probably going to see The Hobbit multiple times too. However, for the Blu-Rays of the Hobbit, I'll wait on that until both movies are together (part 1 and 2). And of course, they will probably make the ultimate edition with LOTR and The Hobbit together, or variations of The Hobbit extended editions, etc.

abistro 11-15-2012 03:02 PM

Thanks OP, in 4 1.

Strangermusic 11-15-2012 03:29 PM

[avsforum.com]

It should be noted the extended editions all have different Blu-ray transfers to the theatrical cuts on Blu-ray. The extended editions look much, much better on Blu-ray than the theatrical versions.

viche 11-15-2012 03:38 PM

Gandalf the green, black crush, I'll pass. Maybe Jackson will wake up some day. :rolleyes:

OmnificOne 11-15-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strangermusic (Post 54823904)

[avsforum.com]

It should be noted the extended editions all have different Blu-ray transfers to the theatrical cuts on Blu-ray. The extended editions look much, much better on Blu-ray than the theatrical versions.

Really? So I have the theatrical versions right now, and I only spent about $5 for each of them. Is it worth the upgrade?

Fincoon 11-15-2012 03:40 PM

These were $34.96 one time when I got them at Wal-Mart back in March 2012. These can be had at a lower price, so I think people should wait. Here's my capture:

http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/x...NY/capture.jpg

hammurabi1337 11-15-2012 03:45 PM

Does anyone have a breakdown of each disc?

falleng0d 11-15-2012 03:47 PM

Im not that big on extended films. Some people get all caught up in marketing and forget to look at the comparisons objectively. Some extended parts are better but, honestly, Im content with the theatrical versions. I still have the theatrical blu-ray trilogy for $12 shipped with $10 hobbit movie money waiting at Walmart so.... Ill stick with that.

hammurabi1337 11-15-2012 03:53 PM

In other news I lol'd when Amazon offered me a $0.10 for my used copy of this set. A whole $0.0067 per disc.

Fincoon 11-15-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falleng0d (Post 54824392)
Im not that big on extended films. Some people get all caught up in marketing and forget to look at the comparisons objectively. Some extended parts are better but, honestly, Im content with the theatrical versions. I still have the theatrical blu-ray trilogy for $12 shipped with $10 hobbit movie money waiting at Walmart so.... Ill stick with that.

I agree with you too. Although I have both the extended box version on DVDs and Blu-Rays, I still enjoy just seeing the theatrical version on my first purchase of the DVDs (theatrical release). I think it has to do with what you enjoyed in the theater when you first watched it. I find the extended version to be a bonus if you like extra scenes and longer movie, but I like the flow of the theatrical version when watching it. Just my personal preference.

falleng0d 11-15-2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fincoon (Post 54824632)
I agree with you too. Although I have both the extended box version on DVDs and Blu-Rays, I still enjoy just seeing the theatrical version on my first purchase of the DVDs (theatrical release). I think it has to do with what you enjoyed in the theater when you first watched it. I find the extended version to be a bonus if you like extra scenes and longer movie, but I like the flow of the theatrical version when watching it. Just my personal preference.

Yup, exactly. Often times the theatrical versions are edited and scrutinized by more peoples eyes and thats why its the one that ends up in the theater. I definitely think they flow better. Thats just my view on it. Its kind of a marketing gimmick people may not realize to release "another new" version to make more money.

The other thing I dont like about purchasing this movie on trilogy now is, technically its already outdated as the Hobbit comes out soon making it a future Quadrilogy.....Thus this set is already missing a movie.....doh.

pewter77 11-15-2012 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calisurfboy (Post 54809878)
This is what I like about Lord of the Rings. There are two versions.

There is the first version, theatrical, for the general audience that trims out most of the "fluff" to allow a wide audience to enjoy the film. The second version, extended, includes that fluff for fans dramatically expanding upon the world you love and enjoy as well as adding to character development and story.

I wish Harry Potter did this. Those movies were released as theatrical but they feel more like extended films filled with a lot of fluff and truly lack a theatrical version. I am a fan of the novels (due to reading to my children) but the movies were incredibly long and dull with many scenes that could of been removed or expanded upon unnecessarily.

I cannot get more than halfway through the first film and I am out like a light.

Thats really because HP movies 1-3 are just ok, but they mirror the books and they are essentially movies for younger children. You're supposed to grow up reading the Harry Potter books. They move from being incredibly childish to the 7th where Harry is grown up and you are as well (hopefully :P). The 4th movie is when they start getting more like regular movies.

As for this deal, bought, been waiting for this to go down to a decent price and almost missed it because its a different version in my wishlist (amazon merges similar item reviews which makes it more annoying that they might as well merge these in a wishlist so you can see both or show a notification/send email.

Strangermusic 11-15-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OmnificOne (Post 54824184)
Really? So I have the theatrical versions right now, and I only spent about $5 for each of them. Is it worth the upgrade?

If you strongly care about the absolute best picture quality for the LOTR trilogy, the extended editions look significantly better than the theatrical Blu-rays. Warner Bros. released dated transfers on the theatrical Blu-rays and completely remastered the video for these extended versions.

Whether that is worth $43 to you is a matter of personal preference. If you have a top-flight home theater and large screen (50" and bigger), it's worth it. If you are watching on a 32" LCD, probably not.

UnderCutt 11-15-2012 04:53 PM

n41 Thanks OP

sklar 11-15-2012 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clearanceman (Post 54819520)
Oh for crying out loud. .If you like these things, get this and be done with it. You can pick up the Hobbit later for cheap.

But what about when they release The Hobbit 2, Electric Boogaloo? Then I'll have a set thats outdated by TWO movies.

/still stinging from buying that Harry Potter set a few years ago... :lol:

Sultanofdeals 11-15-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falleng0d (Post 54824392)

yeah i believe i still have some of those on order with walmart. When were those supposed to ship?

Foreveryours 11-15-2012 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sultanofdeals (Post 54827274)
yeah i believe i still have some of those on order with walmart. When were those supposed to ship?

Beginning of December?

falleng0d 11-15-2012 05:28 PM

Dec 6th I think it is. Im still waiting to see if they actually go through. LOTR trilogy for $12 shipped which includes $10 worth of movie money towards hobbit is a killer deal.

cksaves 11-15-2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falleng0d (Post 54827370)
Dec 6th I think it is. Im still waiting to see if they actually go through. LOTR trilogy for $12 shipped which includes $10 worth of movie money towards hobbit is a killer deal.

I'm waiting also, but I have $10 promo credit from lotr Lego video gm Very tempting

Hawk2007 11-15-2012 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sultanofdeals (Post 54827274)

That version is not out yet.... it's coinciding with the rls of the The Hobbit in theatres.

So, we shall see. I'm hopeful since they've had a while to outright cancel the order.

falleng0d 11-15-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk2007 (Post 54832986)
That version is not out yet.... it's coinciding with the rls of the The Hobbit in theatres.

So, we shall see. I'm hopeful since they've had a while to outright cancel the order.

I dont think its going to get canceled. As you said, its been like a month now. I would have to believe if it were a mistake they wouldnt be waiting over a month to cancel orders. I will be really ecstatic if I get the theatrical trilogy with $10 of movie money for $12.

What confuses me is why they would sell the extended for $40-$50 but then the theatrical for $9 with $10 of movie money for hobbit.lol.

PS: I ordered 3. :)

jafo 11-15-2012 09:27 PM

In for one! Thanks!

SlickJedi 11-15-2012 11:50 PM

In for one also! Also still working as of 1:30am EST 11/16

dealstorm 11-16-2012 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlickJedi (Post 54836052)
In for one also! Also still working as of 1:30am EST 11/16

Nothing noteworthy about that: Amazon's day is defined by Seattle time. It's their world, you just live in it.

charlie hustle 11-16-2012 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xAlias (Post 54812800)
How is this compared to the $10 walmart deal on the blu-ray set with the hobbit money?

It's very different.

Bdubslawman 11-16-2012 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calisurfboy (Post 54809878)
I wish Harry Potter...I cannot get more than halfway through the first film and I am out like a light.

I hear you. I was so looking forward to H.P. movies and as yet still haven't finished the first one. Going to give it another try this holiday season.
Quote:

Originally Posted by plong (Post 54810634)
Obligatory:
"How Lord of the Rings Should Have Ended"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-14bpG1LGU

LOL & Love that Old time hockey!
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacflies (Post 54811098)
Have no desire to ever see these movies again. They were pretty good movies, but are the type I only need to see once and I'm done.

So what you are saying is the precious doesn't call to you? :look: I get so depressed by real life that if I don't recharge with a little of what "man kind" could be if we lived up to our potentials :hug: I think I'd have to end it all. Viva La LOTR every year or two!
Quote:

Pick up the films alone on Blu Ray for 8.99 each at: http://www.wbshop.com/category/mo...riceAscend. Yes they are the standard versions, which would be why I said the films alone meaning without the extra content.

But why should people pay ~$24+ when they can get all three theatrical editions for $12 @ the Wally world (still in pre-order status?) OR about ~$21 from Inetvideo. Might as well save more than half if you are going to get all three of them right?

theGr81 11-16-2012 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bdubslawman (Post 54840332)
I hear you. I was so looking forward to H.P. movies and as yet still haven't finished the first one. Going to give it another try this holiday season.
LOL & Love that Old time hockey!

when the HP movies came out i was very disappointed as i loved the books but wanted to give them another try last week as i was re reading the books since i didnt have power and watched the first 2 movies and they were as bad as i remember if not worst... the movies are way too long and slow

SeattleJo 11-16-2012 09:10 AM

Very tempted! Thanks for the heads up.

SlickJedi 11-16-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bilditup1 (Post 54807746)

I have seen screenshots from 'Fellowship of the Ring'. It looks like they applied the same color grading as friggin' The Matrix. This can be corrected after the fact by ripping and following recoloring guides for this specific film (I had one a few months ago but can't find it now), but who wants to deal with that? So I'm on the fence right now.

I did this one with "It's a Wonderful Life". Recorded on NBC and made it true black and white. It looked so much better than the broadcast. It was a 'just for fun' kind of thing, but made me question why other BW films don't do this. Maybe the slight hues in BW programming is for wider audience conception of contrast on their displays?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dealstorm (Post 54837284)
Nothing noteworthy about that: Amazon's day is defined by Seattle time. It's their world, you just live in it.

It's only noteworthy to me because I didn't know this. Good to keep in mind for deals. :)

Raven1245 11-16-2012 10:21 AM

Of course on the day I don't go online they sell something I've been wanting :(

thompsr2 11-16-2012 01:10 PM

To those who were wondering - My set just came in the mail. Aspect ratio is 2.4:1

jonyyeh 11-17-2012 02:48 PM

I went to Costco today and noticed that they are selling the Extended Edition Blu-ray set for $49.99. Maybe should have waited before buying it on Amazon (I live in TX, so Amazon collects sales tax here).

Also, Amazon plans to sell it again (this time at the price of $49.99) during its lighting deals on this coming Tuesday, November 20, from 8:20 am to 12:20 pm PST.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature....1000853511

dealstorm 11-17-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonyyeh (Post 54886378)
I went to Costco today and noticed that they are selling the Extended Edition Blu-ray set for $49.99. Maybe should have waited before buying it on Amazon (I live in TX, so Amazon collects sales tax here).

Why should you have waited? Doesn't Costco collect tax, too? Didn't you still save $6.50 plus tax on the difference?

jonyyeh 11-17-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dealstorm (Post 54887112)
Why should you have waited? Doesn't Costco collect tax, too? Didn't you still save $6.50 plus tax on the difference?

Just would be easier to return if I change my mind. Oh well. Yes, the Amazon purchase was a good deal, but not a great one.

musick 11-17-2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonyyeh (Post 54886378)

Also, Amazon plans to sell it again (this time at the price of $49.99) during its lighting deals on this coming Tuesday, November 20, from 8:20 am to 12:20 pm PST.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature....1000853511

$39.99 at Best Buy this coming Monday
http://slickdeals.net/f/5520912-Lord-Of-The-Rings-Extended-Edition-Trilogy-Blu-Ray-Box-Set-Best-Buy-DOTD-Monday-11-19-39-99-w-Hobbit-Movie-Money

jonyyeh 11-18-2012 12:20 AM

Thanks for letting us know. I will probably return to sender my Amazon order if possible (as I couldn't cancel it).

Johnm1000 11-20-2012 05:47 PM

I got the Amazon goldbox deal for $39.99 delivered. It was on for a few hours this morning.