Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Deal Talk (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   ViewSonic PRO8200 HD 1080p 1920x1080 2000 Lumens Home Theater DLP Projector + $50 newegg gift card $700 + Free Shipping (http://slickdeals.net/f/5530180-viewsonic-pro8200-hd-1080p-1920x1080-2000-lumens-home-theater-dlp-projector-50-newegg-gift-card-700-free-shipping)

osslickd 11-19-2012 05:16 AM

ViewSonic PRO8200 HD 1080p 1920x1080 2000 Lumens Home Theater DLP Projector + $50 newegg gift card $700 + Free Shipping

1 Attachment(s)
Newegg has the ViewSonic PRO8200 HD 1080p 1920x1080 2000 Lumens Home Theater DLP Projector for $699 plus you get a $50 newegg gift card. Previous best price was $660 but this is like $650 if you can use the gift card in the future.

Link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Pro...6824116466

Specs:
Resolution: 1920x1080
Contrast Ratio 4000:1
Display Size: 30"-300"
Built-in Speakers
Inputs:
2x HDMI
S Video
Compoenent
D-Sub
S Video
2x Composite

It was rated the best projector under $1000 according to:
http://www.avsforum.com/a/project...-favorites

ALSO: you can also get a discounted projector screen and mount with this goofy "rebate" program. They call it "free" but "shipping" starts at about $50 for the screen and $75 if you want the screen and the mount. Still a good deal if you need them.

There is a link to the pdf on the newegg pro8200 product page:
http://images10.newegg.com/upload...12cd12.pdf

and there is a link in that pdf to submit the form online:
http://www.elitescreens.com/index...18&lang=en

if you just want the screen:
http://www.elitescreens.com/index...16&lang=en

brisar 11-19-2012 05:16 AM

ViewSonic PRO8200 HD 1080p 2000 Lumens Home Theater DLP Projector + $50 Newegg Gift Card $700 + Free Shipping

1 Attachment(s)
Newegg.com has ViewSonic PRO8200 HD 1080p 2000 Lumens Home Theater DLP Projector + $50 Newegg Gift Card for $699.99. Shipping is free. Thanks osslicked

Specs:
  • Resolution: 1920x1080
  • Contrast Ratio 4000:1
  • Display Size: 30"-300"
  • Built-in Speakers
  • Inputs:
    • 2x HDMI
    • S Video
    • Compoenent
    • D-Sub
    • S Video
    • 2x Composite

wikipost 11-19-2012 05:16 AM

This post can and should be edited by users like you :)

Same price at Amazon
AMAZON [amazon.com] Except for the $50 card.

JQYAO 11-19-2012 06:11 AM

you beat me, it's a great deal

kkeene 11-19-2012 06:29 AM

I've been waiting for over amonth. About time!

Just tore out our old built-in entertainment center that was built 12 years ago to house a clunky "Big Screen" TV. Was a waste of space, and wouldn't fit an LCD screen bigger than 46". Now I have a big flat wall just waiting for a projector setup.

Next slick deal - Projector Screen! :woot:

Ravicai 11-19-2012 07:07 AM

Darn you Cali tax, darn you to heck.

osslickd 11-19-2012 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkeene (Post 54937116)
Next slick deal - Projector Screen! :woot:

NOTE: you can also get a discounted projector mount and screen with this via this goofy rebate program (they call it "free" but "shipping" starts at about $50 for the screen and $75 if you want the screen and the mount)

Sumen 11-19-2012 07:24 AM

For the sake of my wallet, I am going to ignore the fact that I saw this.
However thumbs up

xbladr 11-19-2012 07:34 AM

if only this was LCD i have the vivitek h1080fd which has been real good for the 4k+ hours in a living room I have on it. Great brightness (definitely need a new bulb now). I just would really like the lens shift that LCD will give.

slick5150 11-19-2012 07:55 AM

Used to have this projector. LOVED it. The picture quality is outstanding, and it's a steal at this price.

hpham228 11-19-2012 07:57 AM

how is this compare to optoma hd20?

lucasbrito 11-19-2012 08:00 AM

would amazon or bestbuy price match this deal?

haojiang 11-19-2012 08:04 AM

How does this one compare with Mitsubishi 3800 which I have now?

- sent by iPhone App Deals & Steals 3.5.8 -

boazb 11-19-2012 08:09 AM

I bought this one year ago for $660 from Newegg with a free projector mount. A really nice projector but BEWARE: It is designed for high ceilings.

If you have a low ceiling, the only way to get the picture (which seems to be aimed downward) to actually hit the screen is to tilt the entire unit upward (to the point where it seems to be be aimed at the ceiling rather than the wall). The problem then is you don't get a nice rectangular image on the screen, but rather one with slanted sides. It annoys me and all my tinkering hasn't resolved the problem.

Once I'm into the movie, I don't notice so much any more but if I could do it again, I wouldn't have bought this model. If you have a high ceiling however, go for it!

BuKWiLd 11-19-2012 08:10 AM

how large can i make the screen and still have crisp 1080 quality? Viewing distance would be approx 7-8 feet

SpinControl 11-19-2012 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuKWiLd (Post 54940740)
how large can i make the screen and still have crisp 1080 quality? Viewing distance would be approx 7-8 feet

I have this projector and the screen size is CRISP at 100+ inches. 1080p/i is phenomenal! And I even project onto a textured off-white wall.

Used to use the SP5000 (LCD - 720p). This is just as bright and much much sharper as there is minimal screen door effect.

As for RBE (rainbows)...I haven't seen any. This projector is unique in that there are 7 color segments at 4x color wheel speed, so it reduces the likelihood for sensitive individuals. HOWEVER, some have reported it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by haojiang (Post 54940538)
How does this one compare with Mitsubishi 3800 which I have now?

Quote:

Originally Posted by hpham228 (Post 54940186)
how is this compare to optoma hd20?

Go here to research your questions:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1298652...-it-exists

There are calibration posts/discussions as well in the above thread.

Here's a quickie though (specific calibrations thread)...
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1390576...t_21564597

dadablacksheep 11-19-2012 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuKWiLd (Post 54940740)

http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-...tv-set-up/

osslickd 11-19-2012 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boazb (Post 54940710)
If you have a low ceiling, the only way to get the picture (which seems to be aimed downward) to actually hit the screen is to tilt the entire unit upward (to the point where it seems to be be aimed at the ceiling rather than the wall). The problem then is you don't get a nice rectangular image on the screen, but rather one with slanted sides. It annoys me and all my tinkering hasn't resolved the problem.

Are you not using the digital keystone correction? That will fix the slanted sides at the expense of a slight picture quality loss which is probably not even noticeable by most people. Yes, some people say that the digital keystone correction ruins the picture quality but others say it doesn't matter much if the scaler is decent and its only a few degrees of correction. This projector has been knocked in the past for not doing 1:1 pixel mapping, so I figure the image is getting scaled already so the digital keystone can't make things much worse. I intend to use digital keystone correction with this projector, I think I saw a post on AVS forums stating that the scaler in this projector was decent.

hiperco 11-19-2012 08:39 AM

No lense shift, I'd pass.

SpinControl 11-19-2012 08:43 AM

Quote:

I bought this one year ago for $660 from Newegg with a free projector mount. A really nice projector but BEWARE: It is designed for high ceilings.

Once I'm into the movie, I don't notice so much any more but if I could do it again, I wouldn't have bought this model. If you have a high ceiling however, go for it!

I agree with this post. I have the same issue as my ceiling is 7' high where I mount my projector (due to ducts). My screen wall is 8' high. My image does level after keystoning, but there is a grayish border ("keystone" edge) around the sides and top.

I think that if you can place BLACK cloth on the areas that are grayish, it will eliminate that keystone edge.

As boazb mentioned, I'm not bothered by it when the movie starts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by osslickd (Post 54941732)
Are you not using the digital keystone correction? That will fix the slanted sides at the expense of a slight picture quality loss which is probably not even noticeable by most people. Yes, some people say that the digital keystone correction ruins the picture quality but others say it doesn't matter much if the scaler is decent and its only a few degrees of correction. This projector has been knocked in the past for not doing 1:1 pixel mapping, so I figure the image is getting scaled already so the digital keystone can't make things much worse. I intend to use digital keystone correction with this projector, I think I saw a post on AVS forums stating that the scaler in this projector was decent.

Use it but it causes a border.

Makismyname 11-19-2012 08:45 AM

If you want to skip on the "free" screen you can grab a decent ceiling mount on monoprice [monoprice.com] (~$12) and DIY projector screen (~$30) [avsforum.com].

boazb 11-19-2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by osslickd (Post 54941732)

Yes I did but it didn't solve the problem. I have a low ceiling otherwise it wouldn't be an issue and I would have been very happy with it. The ceiling is higher where the screen is but the back half of the room has a lower ceiling so that is the problem. I literally have to tilt the unit up to get the picture to hit the screen and that cause the rectangle to become angled. No tinkering could fix it. I called tech support and they were worthless idiots who barely spoke English and didn't even know what features the unit came with. Finally I read other reviews which said its a great projector as long as you don't have low ceilings.

My old projector, NEC HT1100 was much more expensive (about $3,000 though I bought it like 7 years ago) but that had a feature which would move the whole picture to the right, left, up or down. So this wasn't an issue with that one. Oh well.

manish_king 11-19-2012 08:46 AM

i bought this last year for $699 for my basement after it consumed my CRT TV after hurricane Irene left 4ft of water....I have drop ceiling and project it on the wall @90ft screen size...the picture is just amazing, crisp, sharp, bright, etc..etc...etc... :-)

SkyKing02 11-19-2012 08:53 AM

how do you calculate the distance and size of the projector screen?

osslickd 11-19-2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyKing02 (Post 54942832)

http://www.projectorcentral.com/V...or-pro.htm

Makismyname 11-19-2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyKing02 (Post 54942832)

With a Projector Throw Distance Calculator [projectorcentral.com], of course.

iskidoo 11-19-2012 09:04 AM

This is a detailed review from the experts on projectors.
http://www.projectorreviews.com/v...c/pro8200/

osslickd 11-19-2012 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tp4tissue (Post 54942488)
Just a note:

If you guys are buying these budget projectors, you absolutely NEED a light controlled room, preferably with blacked out floor, walls, and ceilings. The reason is the blacks" on these cheaper models are actually quite "gray", which means contrast isn't very good. Thus without a proper room, the picture will look washed out on ALL SETTINGS....

Anything above $2500, you can consider mounting in the living room with regular walls. But even then, if you want the maximum contrast ratio potential from the equipment, you really need to do the surrounding right...

Actually it can be the opposite. I've seen several articles saying that its not worth getting a super expensive projector with super high contrast ratios UNLESS you're going to have extreme light control. Just a little ambient light prevents true blacks, so you're not going to notice the difference between 4000:1 and 50,000:1 contrast ratios in a living room. The only practical solution is to get a bright enough projector to raise the white level and make the blacks appear relatively darker. Also getting a grey (like 0.8 gain) screen can help a lot.

Right now I use a $400 2000 lumen 1200:1 NEC business projector in my living room on an 80" grey screen and it does just fine, even in the daytime with room darkening shades. No, it would not satisfy any home theater enthusiast, but I think its as good as a cheap LCD TV.

blackrain 11-19-2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slick5150 (Post 54940094)
Used to have this projector. LOVED it. The picture quality is outstanding, and it's a steal at this price.

If its so great, why do you speak in past tense?

spydersdeals69 11-19-2012 09:16 AM

Pretty good bulb life...IF (and that's one huge IF) it lasts as long as they say it should. Personally, I wouldn't buy anything other than an LED projector these days. Having a worry-free unit that goes for 20,000 hours is priceless.

kharvel 11-19-2012 09:18 AM

Is the hotness of this deal similar to the hotness of the $799 Epson 8350 projector during Black Friday 2011?

Indio22 11-19-2012 09:18 AM

Quote:

You should be able to avoid using the digital keystone correction, if you tilt the top of your screen forward a few inches. Of course, this won't work for folks who use the wall as the screen, lol.

deal_punter 11-19-2012 09:39 AM

amazon just matched the price..not the GC

http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-P...Promotions

slick5150 11-19-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackrain (Post 54943798)
If its so great, why do you speak in past tense?

Because I moved and had nowhere to put a projector in my new house. Hence, past tense.

thumper300zx 11-19-2012 09:41 AM

This projector rocks.

Suggestion for screen -- if you have a textured wall, sand it flat, then get yourself some SHERWIN WILLIAMS LUMINESCENT WHITE paint. This has small amounts of crushed quartz. Project the image 16:9, square it up, and mask off your screen, then paint it. Best to then surround that with a dark/semi-gloss or flat color to absorb any other light. Absolutely love this setup with my Viewsonic. I paid $800 several months back.

Yes, I have seem some rainbow -- if you move your head quickly or blink a lot, you can catch it. What's funny is, my old projector I saw it all the time while my wife did not -- this projector I seldom see it while my wife does all the time. Must be something about how eyes work a little different (or brains :) )

We're using this from about 10-12 feet and a 112-120" viewing screen area. It's great with BluRay, upscaled DVD, and hi-def Dish.

SpinControl 11-19-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kharvel (Post 54944060)
Is the hotness of this deal similar to the hotness of the $799 Epson 8350 projector during Black Friday 2011?

Uh...no.

$700 is a good price, but not a knock your socks off, great, or BF-type doorbusting deal. If this were $500, then yes.

As others have mentioned, I got this from Newegg for ~$650 last year. It came out a little cheaper when you factor in the credit card deals/discounts also.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spydersdeals69 (Post 54943980)
Pretty good bulb life...IF (and that's one huge IF) it lasts as long as they say it should. Personally, I wouldn't buy anything other than an LED projector these days. Having a worry-free unit that goes for 20,000 hours is priceless.

I researched the LEDs. They're definitely nice for the size and "bulb" life, but there are some drawbacks.
1. Bulb goes = doorstop
2. motherboard (or connector) will probably go bad before the bulb
3. Heat (see #2)
4. 720p
5. contrast and lumens (need really dark room)
6. still suffer (at least late 2011) from video anomalies on the edges

Now, there are new hybrids out (laser/LED) but they're pricey. If those can drop to the $500 range, maybe. However, I still worry about #1 issue above.

raionz 11-19-2012 10:05 AM

If for some reason the newegg code does not appeal to you, and you have random senseless california tax avoidance issues, B&H Photo has it for 777.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/pro...LP_HD.html

Indio22 11-19-2012 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpinControl (Post 54945008)
I researched the LEDs. They're definitely nice for the size and "bulb" life, but there are some drawbacks.
1. Bulb goes = doorstop
2. motherboard (or connector) will probably go bad before the bulb
3. Heat (see #2)
4. 720p
5. contrast and lumens (need really dark room)
6. still suffer (at least late 2011) from video anomalies on the edges

Now, there are new hybrids out (laser/LED) but they're pricey. If those can drop to the $500 range, maybe. However, I still worry about #1 issue above.

I have an LED projector for use by myself and family (which includes two kids 10 and 13). This sort of situation is where an LED projector "shines" pun intended. Because there is much less worry about the bulb and how the projector is treated. My projector sees heavy usage, some weekends 20+ hours. (Connected to PC and Xbox.) And it gets turned on and off all the time, which is no problem for LED based light sources, but can reduce the life of traditional bulbs.

As you mention, there are some trade-offs, for example the 720p resolution (for those who have 1080p content, I don't so no big deal). And the brightness is lower, although works fine in our light controlled basement. Heat though is a plus for my LED projector - less heat than the traditional bulb projector I tried out previously. (That thing was like a small heater in the basement.) Overall if you are not very picky about having the best image quality, and want something fun and durable, providing a relatively worry free big screen experience, LED is a nice option. Not to mention, I got my LED projector for $450. :)

OstrichSak 11-19-2012 10:50 AM

Awesome deal! Been waiting for a good deal to replace an aging Mitsubishi HD1000 that has served us fine for quite a few years. Didn't want to spend a truck load and didn't need super high contrast ratio and fancy bells and whistles. While it doesn't have shift it also has more vivid colors than the LCD technology that others are talking about. There are pros and cons to each type and for me DLP is better. This seems perfect for my needs so thanks for the deal OP and this deal gets a thumbs up from me and you get 4pts added to your rep from me too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indio22 (Post 54947000)
I have an LED projector for use by myself and family (which includes two kids 10 and 13). This sort of situation is where an LED projector "shines" pun intended. Because there is much less worry about the bulb and how the projector is treated. My projector sees heavy usage, some weekends 20+ hours. (Connected to PC and Xbox.) And it gets turned on and off all the time, which is no problem for LED based light sources, but can reduce the life of traditional bulbs.

As you mention, there are some trade-offs, for example the 720p resolution (for those who have 1080p content, I don't so no big deal). And the brightness is lower, although works fine in our light controlled basement. Heat though is a plus for my LED projector - less heat than the traditional bulb projector I tried out previously. (That thing was like a small heater in the basement.) Overall if you are not very picky about having the best image quality, and want something fun and durable, providing a relatively worry free big screen experience, LED is a nice option. Not to mention, I got my LED projector for $450. :)

Where can we get a comparable deal on LED/LCD for $450? What model are you talking about?

Bomberman 11-19-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boazb (Post 54942484)
Yes I did but it didn't solve the problem. I have a low ceiling otherwise it wouldn't be an issue and I would have been very happy with it. The ceiling is higher where the screen is but the back half of the room has a lower ceiling so that is the problem. I literally have to tilt the unit up to get the picture to hit the screen and that cause the rectangle to become angled. No tinkering could fix it. I called tech support and they were worthless idiots who barely spoke English and didn't even know what features the unit came with. Finally I read other reviews which said its a great projector as long as you don't have low ceilings.

My old projector, NEC HT1100 was much more expensive (about $3,000 though I bought it like 7 years ago) but that had a feature which would move the whole picture to the right, left, up or down. So this wasn't an issue with that one. Oh well.

I think the reason is because it's mostly designed to be projected from a table onto a high wall sitting right side up in a right angle fashion. It should be ok if you mount it on the ceiling and you turn the unit upside down. The system should automatically flip the image upside down correcting it on the wall.

DavNeil 11-19-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by osslickd (Post 54938826)
NOTE: you can also get a discounted projector mount and screen with this via this goofy rebate program (they call it "free" but "shipping" starts at about $50 for the screen and $75 if you want the screen and the mount)

Guys I have used projectors from 2002 when they were very famous DIY with nView Overhead panels. I used sometimes Zinc Pain on the wall or there was 10$ white foam board 4'X8' and painted it with a white glossy pain. These all worked fine. I did ruin my eyesight though because of watching tons of movies in the dark.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tp4tissue (Post 54950154)
You sir are a "mediocre" easy going guy.... This is fine, and you're life's great and easy to live....

However, your setup is atrocious to most of us who's dabbled in home projection. :omg:

I say this with no disrespect.

I will say in a different way that some dabbled in those at the start and then got hooked/addicted to better and better ....

DavNeil 11-19-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumper300zx (Post 54944988)
This projector rocks.

Suggestion for screen -- if you have a textured wall, sand it flat, then get yourself some SHERWIN WILLIAMS LUMINESCENT WHITE paint. This has small amounts of crushed quartz. Project the image 16:9, square it up, and mask off your screen, then paint it. Best to then surround that with a dark/semi-gloss or flat color to absorb any other light. Absolutely love this setup with my Viewsonic. I paid $800 several months back.

Yes, I have seem some rainbow -- if you move your head quickly or blink a lot, you can catch it. What's funny is, my old projector I saw it all the time while my wife did not -- this projector I seldom see it while my wife does all the time. Must be something about how eyes work a little different (or brains :) )

We're using this from about 10-12 feet and a 112-120" viewing screen area. It's great with BluRay, upscaled DVD, and hi-def Dish.

I never saw Honeycomb black and white pull down lines on my HV20 around 2007 but now I see them in those recorded tapes. It is funny how our brain becomes tuned.

IAccord99I 11-19-2012 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OstrichSak (Post 54947776)
Where can we get a comparable deal on LED/LCD for $450? What model are you talking about?

My guess is the LG PA70G. It's currently $799 at Frys, but it occasionally drops down to $450.

It also made front page at $460 shipped.

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/79414/frys-lg-pa70g-1280x800-led-portable-projector

Great projector, but obviously not as bright so don't expect to get a 120" screen without properly managing the lighting conditions.

boazb 11-19-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomberman (Post 54949754)
I think the reason is because it's mostly designed to be projected from a table onto a high wall sitting right side up in a right angle fashion. It should be ok if you mount it on the ceiling and you turn the unit upside down. The system should automatically flip the image upside down correcting it on the wall.

It is upside down on the ceiling. How else could I have mounted it? But you'll see others in this thread and many in the reviews have mentioned the same problem. Again, as long as your ceiling is level, you should probably be okay. But my screen is mounted higher than the projector.

68droptop 11-19-2012 02:02 PM

Does anyone know if this one will be able to compensate for off center projection? I will be using a 150" screen in an area that will require the projector to almost be in line to one side of the screen.

Bomberman 11-19-2012 02:10 PM

ah that's why, your ceiling is sloped

Bomberman 11-19-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boazb (Post 54955178)
It is upside down on the ceiling. How else could I have mounted it? But you'll see others in this thread and many in the reviews have mentioned the same problem. Again, as long as your ceiling is level, you should probably be okay. But my screen is mounted higher than the projector.

jleonard711 11-19-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boazb (Post 54942484)

That feature is called "lens shift", and what that does is actually shifts the lens inside the projector left-to-right and/or up-and-down so you can perfectly align the picture with your screen without having to rely on digital correction which can cause distortion. Most entry level projectors don't have that feature, it is usually only found on higher end models.

bendrexl 11-19-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by osslickd (Post 54943544)
Actually it can be the opposite. I've seen several articles saying that its not worth getting a super expensive projector with super high contrast ratios UNLESS you're going to have extreme light control. Just a little ambient light prevents true blacks, so you're not going to notice the difference between 4000:1 and 50,000:1 contrast ratios in a living room. The only practical solution is to get a bright enough projector to raise the white level and make the blacks appear relatively darker. Also getting a grey (like 0.8 gain) screen can help a lot.

:iagree:
Well said, right on the money.

Indio22 11-19-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAccord99I (Post 54952710)
My guess is the LG PA70G. It's currently $799 at Frys, but it occasionally drops down to $450.

It also made front page at $460 shipped.

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/79414/frys-lg-pa70g-1280x800-led-portable-projector

Great projector, but obviously not as bright so don't expect to get a 120" screen without properly managing the lighting conditions.

Correct, it is the LG PA70G. Price drops down to around $450 every once in a while at Fry's. I am currently projecting to a 100" screen in a light controlled basement. It is a fun little projector for a decent price - long as the user accepts the limitations of 720p and preferred light controlled room. I have no regrets given the heavy usage this thing is getting (it has become the primary display device for the family), and the less than careful users (kids). I gave my kids two rules: don't throw anything at the projector, and don't touch the lens. So far so good, lol.

BananaBoatX 11-19-2012 02:58 PM

This would be a great living room projector considering the high lumen output. I'd personally be left wanting for more black level performance in a cave situation, but in a living room, you'd never notice the difference. The only problem might be the lack of lens shift and the standard DLP zoom lens. By the time I'm done doing the calculations to see if this would make a big enough screen in my space, the deal will be over :P

auctionhugh 11-19-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpinControl (Post 54945008)
$700 is a good price, but not a knock your socks off, great, or BF-type doorbusting deal. If this were $500, then yes.

Thanks you saved me $700. Sold my house with the man cave and had to sell my last projector with it. Really don't have the space or budget in my new house for a projector, but I really miss the huge screen compared to my 47" flat panel. If this was a steal I'd have to do it but now I can wait without kicking myself.

IAccord99I 11-19-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68droptop (Post 54957854)
Does anyone know if this one will be able to compensate for off center projection? I will be using a 150" screen in an area that will require the projector to almost be in line to one side of the screen.

there's no lens shift so no.

what you need is an Epson 8350. It was $800 last year's black friday.

If you know someone who works at Epson... their employee discount will make this around $680+tax. =)

bendrexl 11-19-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deal_punter (Post 54944922)
amazon just matched the price..not the GC

http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-P...Promotions

Yep... I had a ccc price alert set for this months ago, so I just jumped on the Amazon price right away. Then I checked here, and saw this deal.

I tried to cancel my amazon order through customer service, but it was "in process" already. They also had no interest in matching the GC offer, instead recommending that I refuse delivery :/ Seems weird to me, as they'll have that much invested in shipping & handling by the time the return is complete, I'd think.

Oh well, now I have two of them headed toward my door :)

BunkerMentality 11-19-2012 03:26 PM

Huge thumbs up on this deal. I got this projector from Amazon back in July for $770 and at $650 you are insane if you don't get one. If you are at all on the fence get off it and buy.

Insane bulb life of 6000 hours in eco mode. I use eco mode and it is plenty of light cannon lumens at that setting. Full 1080P HD. I don't see any RBE. Bright, vibrant, crisp PQ and no judder or anything funky with onscreen motion. 3 Year warranty on the PJ.

I felt the $770 I paid was well worth it. I've been thoroughly enjoying it for months. GET ONE!

boazb 11-19-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomberman (Post 54958400)

Not sloped, just that the half of the room where the screen is has a higher ceiling than the half with the projector. So it has to be tilted up and that causes the problem. I don't think it will affect most people. Others mentioned this problem as well - for instance if you have to lower your projector low enough to avoid a light fixture, pipe or vent. This projector isn't as forgiving as some others.

pthartmann 11-19-2012 03:36 PM

This looks like a good deal. Just don't think it has enough brightness to be a replacement for a TV. Would like to switch the RLC-061 with RLC-059, which is the bulb for the PRO8400 and get twice the lumens.

-Obviously this would be a question of size, then power, and heat, but the two models, and the two lamps, look very similar. -Could potentially be cost effective if one sold the current bulb new - but wouldn't want to miss out on the bulb's one year warranty [viewsonic.com].

Would be interesting to throw a luminous [mouser.com]LED in with a collimator, and of course a crazy heatsink. Have to see what makes sense cost wise. Could just make living room into a cave, but I'd rather not.

If only I had time to mod 1080p projectors with LEDs and water cooling. Me thinks the wife wants her kitchen remodel finished first. At least I can peruse through some discussion at AVS. [avsforum.com]

tsr_12 11-19-2012 04:23 PM

just ordered

Just ordered one.
Great deal indeed ! have been looking for the price to drop close $700. with $50 GC, its a good bet !

giga73 11-19-2012 04:28 PM

Amazon price matched this to $699.

I JUST got it less than 2 weeks ago from there for $799. Called and pleaded for them to refund me the $100 but they wouldn't budge...Damn Indians. Guess I'll try again when it's American time.

Overall it's an excellent projector and I picked this over the HD20. Really bright and does the job.

I mostly picked this because of the 3 year warranty though, as most projectors only come with a 1 year warranty. When the warranty is up I'll probably sell it and move on to another, because repairing a broken projector ain't cheap.

68droptop 11-19-2012 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAccord99I (Post 54960702)
there's no lens shift so no.

what you need is an Epson 8350. It was $800 last year's black friday.

If you know someone who works at Epson... their employee discount will make this around $680+tax. =)

Thank you for the reply.

What is the difference between it and keystone adjustment? Just the way it physically works?

According to the AutoCAD layout I did, the offset is only ~12 degrees.

CoBrA2168 11-19-2012 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by giga73 (Post 54963828)
Amazon price matched this to $699.

I JUST got it less than 2 weeks ago from there for $799. Called and pleaded for them to refund me the $100 but they wouldn't budge...Damn Indians. Guess I'll try again when it's American time.

Overall it's an excellent projector and I picked this over the HD20. Really bright and does the job.

I mostly picked this because of the 3 year warranty though, as most projectors only come with a 1 year warranty. When the warranty is up I'll probably sell it and move on to another, because repairing a broken projector ain't cheap.

They will definitely give you the $100 back. You are still within the return period, correct? Just threaten to return it.

By the way picked up one of these today for a Christmas gift. First projector I've used, hopefully it's a good first experience.

IAccord99I 11-19-2012 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68droptop (Post 54964326)
Thank you for the reply.

What is the difference between it and keystone adjustment? Just the way it physically works?

keystone is digital. lens shift is optical. keystone adjustment only blocks the "unnecessary" pixels from being displayed. You lose resolution and there's a limit to how much you can correct the image..

same idea between optical zoom vs digital zoom for a camera. When zooming in is done digitally, all it does is crop out the rest of the image. You get an image with reduced pixels.

This is a good site explaining how it works:
http://www.projectorreviews.com/a...ystone.php

jhall0712 11-19-2012 05:29 PM

Crap. I literally just bought this projector 4 days ago from Amazon. I'm calling now about getting back the price difference. If they won't do that I will return it and get this one from Newegg!

Awesome projector btw!!

jackass124 11-19-2012 06:05 PM

i've got an older Optoma H27 which is 480p that looks decent in my opinion connected to a dvd player that does pixel matching, but it's only 1024x768....how much improvement will i notice going to a projector like this? i have a pretty dark room with blinds closed etc.

i've yet to enter the blu-ray realm...but i guess something like this would inspire me to

jhall0712 11-19-2012 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackass124 (Post 54967900)
i've got an older Optoma H27 which is 480p that looks decent in my opinion connected to a dvd player that does pixel matching, but it's only 1024x768....how much improvement will i notice going to a projector like this? i have a pretty dark room with blinds closed etc.

i've yet to enter the blu-ray realm...but i guess something like this would inspire me to

Yes, without a doubt you will see a difference. I upgraded from a WXGA projector and could tell a difference!

12loser12 11-19-2012 07:27 PM

Thanks for posting, I'm planning on buying this tonight.

Any clue if what to look for in a mount? This one is 10 bucks off with the projector. Any good? Does it matter?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Pro...6824992020

jhall0712 11-19-2012 07:30 PM

Just an FYI in case anyone else had the same thing happen to them. Amazon credited my account for the difference in the price change no questions asked. I am a Prime member, and had bought the projector in the past week.

luv2ctheworld 11-19-2012 08:52 PM

Decisions, decisions... This projector is $650 net gift card (that I actually have use for) but Black Friday is literally around the corner. There is NO REFUND on this, only a replacement; so if I buy it and a better deal comes around, I'm stuck with it. Then again, for $650 (out the door) for a 1080p projector, how cheap could BF prices go?

Analysis paralysis... sigh...

roc571 11-19-2012 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld (Post 54974096)
Decisions, decisions... This projector is $650 net gift card (that I actually have use for) but Black Friday is literally around the corner. There is NO REFUND on this, only a replacement; so if I buy it and a better deal comes around, I'm stuck with it. Then again, for $650 (out the door) for a 1080p projector, how cheap could BF prices go?

same here i just jumped whatever :lol:

OstrichSak 11-19-2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld (Post 54974096)

Here's another way to think about it... if it suddenly went out of stock right now before you could order and nothing better comes on BF.. how mad would you be? If you answered pretty mad. Just order and don't pay any attention to BF deals on projectors. This is still a good deal no matter what. I used a Discover Card and now have a full FOUR years of warranty for free. :eek:

influence22 11-19-2012 11:00 PM

I have had mine for over a year and love it

jawshoeaw 11-19-2012 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravicai (Post 54938402)

Under new reality-suspension laws, you can tell yourself (and believe it!) that your tax dollars are only spent on projects/people that you approve.

augie0041 11-20-2012 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by osslickd (Post 54938826)

So, I've been monitoring projector deals for awhile and was holding out for one with 3D but jumped on this deal because of all the reviews and the realisation that finding one with a bright picture and 3D and under a budget, this was the best option available.
Anyway, now I need a mount and a screen. I plan on using my wall, so where should I begin to figure out what to do on my wall. I have 8ft ceiling but am debating an overhead or shelf mount. It looks like the mount that is available in the rebate has a really long arm. Can it be used without the arm? Anyone have info about this mount? I'm debating the "free" screen too because ideally, I would like to bring this projector into my backyard and I'm thinking this screen might be convenient. Is it a good deal for the $50 shipping? Is there any additional information about the screen, does it come with a tripod stand? can it somehow be mounted into the overhang of my roof over the deck? (I forgot what that was actually called). Sorry about all the questions, this is my first projector and I'm excited to get started

ottoman1384 11-20-2012 06:20 AM

Does anyone know if Best Buy will price match this?

siliconspook 11-20-2012 06:45 AM

In for one.

I was looking for a TV, but was settling around $600-$700 for a 47"-60" screen. I figure this way I can have a 100"+ screen and not have to hang anything on the wall.

Good find; and thanks everyone for the helpful links throughout the thread. I'm pretty sure I've read the whole AVS Forum page, and the cheap screen build linked in there is awesome.(http://www.avsforum.com/t/617173/...nly-thread)

puttingdog 11-20-2012 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siliconspook (Post 54986656)
In for one.

I was looking for a TV, but was settling around $600-$700 for a 47"-60" screen. I figure this way I can have a 100"+ screen and not have to hang anything on the wall.

Good find; and thanks everyone for the helpful links throughout the thread. I'm pretty sure I've read the whole AVS Forum page, and the cheap screen build linked in there is awesome.(http://www.avsforum.com/t/617173/...nly-thread)

I thought of going this route a while back, bought a optoma HD20 in summer and couldn't be more happier with its performance. However, the projector generates too much heat, factoring in the fact that bulb has to be replaced over a certain period. It also requires low ambient light to get good results. I then return it and hope that the LED projecting technology ripes and will generate a lot less heat than the traditional bulb ones.

james330i 11-20-2012 07:04 AM

Best buy should match that...they made a BIG deal about matching online retailer's price this year so they better stay true to their word

Indio22 11-20-2012 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puttingdog (Post 54987432)
I thought of going this route a while back, bought a optoma HD20 in summer and couldn't be more happier with its performance. However, the projector generates too much heat, factoring in the fact that bulb has to be replaced over a certain period. It also requires low ambient light to get good results. I then return it and hope that the LED projecting technology ripes and will generate a lot less heat than the traditional bulb ones.

Yeah, I borrowed a traditional bulb projector from work for a test, to try out in my basement this past summer. It was like having a small heater in the basement - it raised the temperature enough to be noticeable. On a hotter day, I would probably have had to run HVAC to deal with the added heat from the projector.

On the other hand, my LED projector (LG PA70G) produces significantly less heat. I notice this putting my hand next to the fan outlet, and also the room does not heat up. But you will need low ambient light to get a nice picture with an LED. I think it will be a while before an LED projector is powerful enough for non-light controlled situations such as a bright living room. LED projectors at the moment, are for persons who have light controlled rooms (basement works great), and are willing to give up some image quality in favor of lower cost and less worry about bulb issues.

gnosti83 11-20-2012 07:35 AM

Yup 699 at amazon now, and no tax makes this a better deal for me

scooterp7 11-20-2012 08:38 AM

This is a good deal. Wish there was a sale for the Epson 8350!

SpinControl 11-20-2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by augie0041 (Post 54983440)
So, I've been monitoring projector deals for awhile and was holding out for one with 3D but jumped on this deal because of all the reviews and the realisation that finding one with a bright picture and 3D and under a budget, this was the best option available.

Actually, you can get two of these and run both of them through a computer with dual vid outputs to get passive 3D. Just Google it.
Add $10 glasses, and you'd be set.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indio22 (Post 54988574)
Yeah, I borrowed a traditional bulb projector from work for a test, to try out in my basement this past summer. It was like having a small heater in the basement - it raised the temperature enough to be noticeable. On a hotter day, I would probably have had to run HVAC to deal with the added heat from the projector.

On the other hand, my LED projector (LG PA70G) produces significantly less heat. I notice this putting my hand next to the fan outlet, and also the room does not heat up. But you will need low ambient light to get a nice picture with an LED. I think it will be a while before an LED projector is powerful enough for non-light controlled situations such as a bright living room. LED projectors at the moment, are for persons who have light controlled rooms (basement works great), and are willing to give up some image quality in favor of lower cost and less worry about bulb issues.

All this talk of heat is not warranted - in fact, pretty ridiculous. Some DLPs will get really hot, but I have not experience that this one. The heat output changes to ambient temperature is minimal with this projector. IT IS NOT A HEATER, sorry. My basement is fairly cool (year-round), and I need a separate heater to keep it comfortable when I am cold.

I run mine in ECO mode all the time. Minimal fan noise as well.

SpinControl 11-20-2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackass124 (Post 54967900)

Hey, jackass (:lol: sorry, had to do it), you don't know what you don't know.

I thought that upconversion of my DVDs was great. THEN, I got this damn projector and started feeding BluRay through it. All I can say is, get ready to shell out some money once you get this. You'll be converting all your DVD classics over to BluRay. I've got like 30 BluRay movies (~$175 worth) now! Thanks to BestBuy's DVD Trade-In & $5 Upgrade offer.

And I used to think that watching comedies were fine non1080p. WRONG. There's a fuzzy/cloudy look to upconverted DVD on 1080p. Animations included.

BluRay is CRISP, and anything less is annoying. I'm just wondering what UltraHD can offer. I'm grasping to find an advantage, but I'm sure when that day comes, I'll be upgrading then, too!

Indio22 11-20-2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpinControl (Post 54991630)
All this talk of heat is not warranted - in fact, pretty ridiculous. Some DLPs will get really hot, but I have not experience that this one. The heat output changes to ambient temperature is minimal with this projector. IT IS NOT A HEATER, sorry. My basement is fairly cool (year-round), and I need a separate heater to keep it comfortable when I am cold.

I run mine in ECO mode all the time. Minimal fan noise as well.

Heat output is a valid concern when choosing a projector. But it is good to hear this ViewSonic projector puts out low heat. Like you mention, due to the high light output, running in ECO mode is a nice option, reducing heat and noise compared to running some other projectors flat out.

OstrichSak 11-20-2012 03:15 PM

Anyone found a link to a calculator to figure out where you need to mount this bad boy based on room & screen size and such? I found this one [projectorcentral.com] but was looking for something to double check the results before I start going crazy.

superman2005 11-20-2012 06:37 PM

Bought this for $659 from newegg last year.
Its an amazing projector, I currently have it set to a 12' screen (screen material bought on ebay for ~$40)
I have it connected to my PC via a long HDMI cable and also have an OTA antenna connected via RCA. The built in speakers are loud enough for TV, for PC I use my PC logitech 5.1 speakers. (apartment so no real receiver/speakers yet)

The only con I can think of related to my current setup and HDCP DRM: BluRay Discs do not play from my PC bluray drive to the secondary monitor (projector). Works perfectly after ripping it to the HDD.

spacemidget 11-21-2012 02:11 AM

Reading some reviews it looks like the lens center line has to be below the bottom of the screen by 13". Is this true? And if ceiling mounting will I be losing that space?

dude6156 11-21-2012 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravicai (Post 54938402)

You just voted for an increase in the Cali tax starting next year!

netryeder 11-21-2012 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemidget (Post 55030948)
Reading some reviews it looks like the lens center line has to be below the bottom of the screen by 13". Is this true? And if ceiling mounting will I be losing that space?

There are some spec sheets on the ViewSonic website (see page 25 of the User Guide), but the vertical shift depends on how big of a screen size you want. The User Guide states that for a 100" picture the shift is about 16.8". This killed the deal for me, my theater room is in my basement with less than 8' ceilings and with that big of a shift there would be no room for my entertainment center and center channel speaker under the screen.

You can slightly tilt the projector towards the ceiling to reduce the vertical shift but this will cause a trapezoid shaped screen, which can be corrected in the settings but is not the ideal setup.

CoBrA2168 11-21-2012 04:55 AM

Anyone know when/how we will get the gift cards?

Afghan 11-21-2012 08:57 AM

Just got it last night, not impressed, when the image is dark, it's hard to discern between light and dark, not too happy with quality so far, may return it.

Keep in mind, my room was fully DARK, basement. I am going from plv-z2 (8 yr old) projector, and was not impressed still...kinda heart breaking

I may play with it a bit more to see if I can TWEAK it..but really doubt it.

blakezilla 11-21-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Afghan (Post 55043890)
Just got it last night, not impressed, when the image is dark, it's hard to discern between light and dark, not too happy with quality so far, may return it.

Keep in mind, my room was fully DARK, basement. I am going from plv-z2 (8 yr old) projector, and was not impressed still...kinda heart breaking

why dont you use someones calibration setup from avsforums or something, or did you? Also what do you mean hard to determine between light and dark? like shadows and darkness or what? Im still on the fence on whether to order this or wait for an epson 8350. I prefer this with no tax vs 800+ with tax from epson. How is the picture in picture and side by side features. That is one of the good features I was considering this for.

Thanks in advance

Also On the linked reviews that were posted earlier they were saying that the shadows and blacks were "alright" but not good compared to expensive projectors. They even have some settings posted which may help improve the picture. Also are you using a screen or a wall? or maybe you got a dud somehow.

richman 11-21-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Afghan (Post 55043890)

Will newegg accept a return. Let us know how they treat you.
Return it if you can and get a better model.

Now in fairness, your plv-z2 is 800 lumens with NEW BULB... how many hours do you have on that old bulb?, it could be only putting out 400 lumens if 2,000 hours on it in lower 720p resolution and the pro8200 is 2,000 lumens in 1080p resolution! Big, big difference! :)
Maybe the mits hc4000 which is 1,100 dollars on amazon and is 1,300 lumens might be better for your dark room.

In AVS forum room, some people are using the pro8200 in batcave, and say it does get better after 500 hours on bulb, others recommend a ND filter and hood if you are in really dark room, and give suggestions of how to make or which to buy.

Take your plv-z2 into living room or porch or den, and the pro8200 will blow the plv-z2 away and the mits 4000 away.
The pro8200 can be tamed but you can't get a low lumen PJ to brighten up in a non-light controlled room. :)

p.s I was thinking, let us know what equipment you are using. Are you using the hdmi cable that the pro8200 came packed with, are you going straight into the back of the pro8200? Or using a A/V receiver? What movie did you watch, was it from Blu-ray player. It is a known FACT if you have crappy cables you will get crappy image. What graphics card in PC, if using ps3 set pro8200 on RBG. I mean, you really told us next to nothing, you didn't tell us the movie, or what source you were connected to, if you have A/V receiver, screen gain, screen size, how far from screen. The pro8200 should blow your socks off , coming from the plv-z2, and if it doesn't trouble shoot why, because it should. You might have to go through all the MENUS on all your equipment to set it up right for the pro8200, in addition to going through the settings on the pro8200. Sometimes we get someone disappointed in image when they get the pro8200, and they tell us their equipment, and we can then advise how to set it up so it does look good. Then they come back into the AVS forum room and thank us, and say the pro8200 is very cool PJ. I understand your frustration, but we are telling you, it should blow your socks off when set up right. :)
If you just unplugged your plv-z2 and then just plugged in the pro8200, I'm telling you the picture will look like CRAP. You had the PC graphics set for super low lumen settings, so of course the brightness of NEW PJ would look like crap. So go into PC graphic settings and adjust gamma, contrast, etc for the NEW PJ. Again, since you didn't mention what you did, none of us can really help you. You get the point. :)

blakezilla 11-22-2012 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richman (Post 55067458)
Will newegg accept a return. Let us know how they treat you.
Return it if you can and get a better model.

Again, since you didn't mention what you did, none of us can really help you. You get the point. :)

Much more thorough answer than I had.

I went ahead and ordered this. I am not thrilled at the price and really dislike neweggs crappy stated return policy but I ordered from them anyhow cause the extra 50GC made them a better value for me than amazon. Although I dont think I will return unless mine is defective, it still sucks to not "be able" to return it because of neweggs crappy item by item policy.

Anyhow I literally waited to the last few minutes before pulling the out the old magic money card. I decided I have been eyeing this PJ for a while and didnt feel like waiting 6 more months to get it the same price. I will be pissed if it hits 600 or less from one of the major places in the next months.

What do you guys think, should we use the settings from the reviewer from projectorreviews as a start or are there some better start settings on avs? Im gonna be blasting an 80-100 inch image onto a flat/matte white mild light texture wall. Im basically going ghetto style cause I dont want to spend for a good screen and dnt really wanna make one right now.

Also does anybody think its worth getting the "free" screen and mount from newegg and selling locally them for slightly above cost, or is it even possible. I have a ton of churches in the area, they are about the only ones I can think who would use it.

thornej4 11-22-2012 03:38 AM

Does anyone know what the "free" screen model number is, so I can research to see if it fits my needs and apartment space??? Thanks.

richman 11-22-2012 03:56 AM

dead!
don't bother with the free screen or mount if it comes from viewsonic, it sucks and get hit with super high shipping/handling costs.
Go to the avs forum for advice about screen and mounts and calibration stuff.
You guys that bought this got a great deal.
Now the mounts that newegg has discounted if you buy PJ might be good, I was referring to the viewsonic stuff they say is "free" but isn't. :)

blakezilla 11-22-2012 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richman (Post 55098416)
dead!
don't bother with the free screen or mount if it comes from viewsonic, it sucks and get hit with super high shipping/handling costs.
Go to the avs forum for advice about screen and mounts and calibration stuff.
You guys that bought this got a great deal.
Now the mounts that newegg has discounted if you buy PJ might be good, I was referring to the viewsonic stuff they say is "free" but isn't. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by thornej4 (Post 55098104)
Does anyone know what the "free" screen model number is, so I can research to see if it fits my needs and apartment space??? Thanks.

it is an elite screen. On the elite screens page that is listed on the rebate they give you a few options. You can get damn big , jumbo+ in 4:3 or 16:9 [elitescreens.com]

You might have to do an eyeball search and see which ones on amazon fit the specs listed on the rebate page.

Free is def. a hook. Its just like an infomercial, you get another one for free*

*just pay separate processing, handling, payment, payment processing, order taking and phone order fees.

richman 11-22-2012 04:34 AM

Yeah, I remember last year when I bought my pro8200, looking at the "free" stuff, and it was something like 80 dollars or more shipping/handling, I bought a screen from amazon much cheaper than "free" elite screen. Rip off.

bankingdom 11-22-2012 06:07 PM

The screen and mount for "free" is the biggest scam!

The shipping is the same price as buying the screen on Amazon.com.

Garbage low ball scam.

hiphopdeals 11-23-2012 08:49 AM

is this deal dead? i see $799.99 in cart

scooterp7 11-23-2012 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by auctionhugh (Post 54960534)
Are you infected with the Conflicker Virus? 10 second test [kallenweb.com]

I thought it was Conficker!!