Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Black Friday 2013 (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Is ANYTHING worth buying this black friday (http://slickdeals.net/f/5534580-is-anything-worth-buying-this-black-friday)

nauticalx 11-19-2012 07:32 PM

Is ANYTHING worth buying this black friday

Haven't participated in the last 2, maybe 3, black fridays, and don't see anything this year that bucks the trend that the "deals" seem to get crappier every year.

Is it just me or is Black friday just a big 'meh' at best these days?

PS- saw a line outside Sams Club yesterday, its 10:34 PM and I'm wondering, if I were one of them right about now, I'd have to be thinking- how little must my time be worth for me to be sleeping on the curb at a Sams Club anyway. What's wrong with people??

barnz008 11-19-2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nauticalx (Post 54971414)
PS- saw a line outside Sams Club yesterday, its 10:34 PM and I'm wondering, if I were one of them right about now, I'd have to be thinking- how little must my time be worth for me to be sleeping on the curb at a Sams Club anyway. What's wrong with people??

Yearly Thanksgiving stock up stampede, not BF. ;)

What's wrong with these people? They're mindless consumers with magnetic stripes on the back of plastic cards that create free money in exchange for entire carts full of shit to inhale and crap to fill their overvalued homes with. What else has changed? :lol:

DQue 11-19-2012 08:07 PM

As the economy proves still being very weak this year and uncertainty in regards to the tax policy, most retailers have to stay on the conservative side and be careful not to hurt the bottom line. Therefore, they can't slash BF prices as aggressively as they would like to.

fbvolpb89 11-19-2012 08:16 PM

I think you're right. Not as many deals to be had as there were 5-6 years ago. I usually just go to walmart to people watch and grab a few small things. This year i'm getting the $10 griddle! (normally $20)

People are seriously crazy. If they just got a job for all the time they waited in line, they'd make more money than they save! Really makes me sad when I see little kids outside waiting during thanksgiving.

xtrabad 11-19-2012 08:18 PM

Vacation. That is what is valuable for me this BF. I will be boarding a plane and not looking back for a week. Can't wait. Every vendor can keep their overpriced crappy tablets, phones, video games, HDTVs, and impulse buys.
Been there, done that. Same crap, different day. I will be using my $$$ to get away from the computer at work and at home, and actually live a little. There's a big world out there, time to see it and enjoy it.

eb50 11-19-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fbvolpb89 (Post 54973050)
I think you're right. Not as many deals to be had as there were 5-6 years ago. I usually just go to walmart to people watch and grab a few small things. This year i'm getting the $10 griddle! (normally $20)

People are seriously crazy. If they just got a job for all the time they waited in line, they'd make more money than they save! Really makes me sad when I see little kids outside waiting during thanksgiving.

You are assuming these people actually care to work

figureskater546 11-19-2012 09:39 PM

Been progressively worse year by year.
Only real deal I see this year are the TV's.
This was nice as well http://slickdeals.net/f/5533272-Prison-Break-Season-1-Blu-ray-5-99-Shipping-More-Deals-Inside. I spent $200~ on Simpsons/Family Guy/How I Met your Mother

Doesn't seem to be much else. Laptops look to be more expensive then last year, least the really cheap ones are not as cheap and the specs are worse. Most things are like that.

Pearls 11-19-2012 09:40 PM

it's the American way! If my friend or another family friend has an HD TV, tablet, new computer w/e I MUST need it too then! Plus most purchases are based on impulse. Most people don't know any better or do their research on a product. Deals are always to be have 24/7/365 especially considering all the internet retailers today.

Black Friday is a huge marketing gimmick now. People hear it and assume automatically amazing deals - same with Cyber Monday.

Then we have those who wait in lines because it's their "job". They're the ones who are trying to grab all the "doorbusters" and sell it back on craigslist and ebay - hoping for a nice profit.

Loan_Crusader 11-19-2012 10:06 PM

there's a $300 50" TV, wtf more do you want? for $300 all that mofo has to do is turn on and i'd be happy.

there's a new game system release, you find no interest in new game systens? new game systems come out once every 3-4 years.

this is the only time of year will you see discounts on ipods.

i don't get what you're shopping for. if you're broke, no one is going to give you shiet for free, get a job then maybe you can do some money saving by buying shiet cheap.

DrunkN_MastR 11-19-2012 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtrabad (Post 54973130)
Vacation. That is what is valuable for me this BF. I will be boarding a plane and not looking back for a week. Can't wait. Every vendor can keep their overpriced crappy tablets, phones, video games, HDTVs, and impulse buys.
Been there, done that. Same crap, different day. I will be using my $$$ to get away from the computer at work and at home, and actually live a little. There's a big world out there, time to see it and enjoy it.

Big thumbs up to this

figureskater546 11-19-2012 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pearls (Post 54975362)
Black Friday is a huge marketing gimmick now. People hear it and amuse automatically amazing deals - same with Cyber Monday.

Which is why I am happy I got almost all of my Christmas shopping done early. $8 New Balance basic black fleece jacket - $11 Neiman Markus leather belts - $16 Neiman Markus cashmere gloves - $7 Ralph Lauren Fleece blanket - free greenmountaincoffee by the ton - $3 Burt Bee's gift sets - etc, all items you wont see during BF week.

EricP28 11-19-2012 10:56 PM

Extremely subjective question. What would make you go to the store?

I'm not seeking much from this year's offerings but that is largely because I do so well on bargains throughout the year. The only thing that comes to mind is the $10 Sly Cooper Collection for PS3 at Walmart. I'd like one of those but only if I can do it without much hassle. I have tons of games and I've no doubt it will turn up cheap again very soon. Everything does in gaming stuff if you aren't doggedly intent on having the latest thing.

Kevin71 11-19-2012 11:16 PM

There are always good/great deals on the little stuff. It's highly overrated but tough to beat for DVD's/box-sets/video games and small kitchen appliances.

rockstar1009 11-20-2012 12:05 AM

10 years ago when HDTVs and laptops cost thousands, you could expect to save a grand or two on them. Now that manufacturing costs are down and they cost hundreds, the savings aren't nearly as steep. You can still buy doorbusters for 50% off, but that 50% off the TV is now a savings of $150, not $1500. The savings are still there, but the volume of savings has long since dried up. It's a matter of perspective as to whether it's "worth it" or not nowadays.

I myself don't bother with big ticket items on BF anymore since most are rubbish brands or models (veteran SDers know that the good brands/models go on sale the final week before Xmas when retailers get desperate and offer legit deals during the final sales push; plus SlickDeals delivers on the other 364 days a year, and you don't have to fight mobs to save a few bucks). Black Friday for me is just stocking up on hellacheap games and movies now.

squaredrooted 11-20-2012 01:23 AM

Mmm, there's not much that catches my eye this Black Friday. I have been going for five years now, every year lining up (of course a few years ago I could still nap a few hours and make it in time to line up).

Every year the sales change...some say they have slowly been becoming worse. I didn't really notice that, but this year just seems pretty terrible. Perhaps I am just saying that because I do not need anything, but I feel the sale items are decreasing.

A few years ago I purchased a pretty decent computer case and it was FAR...from Fry's. Of course it only retailed for like 50$ or so, but it was really not bad at all (not like those cheap white plastic cases...it was black and metal and pretty solid).
Haven't seen anything as good since then. I feel BF is more and more going the route of doorbusters, which I do not need.

A few years ago BF was excellent for large every-day use items like laptops, computers, and TVs. Even name brands were being offered at pretty competitive prices. As rockstar mentioned, sales on those big-ticket items are not as great anymore for the reasons he lists.
Of course, BF is definitely good for smaller appliances (toasters and coffee makers? I'm in for a panini grill this year!) and DVDs/Blu-Ray DVDs and stuff...maybe game consoles too (also in for a new xbox 360).

I think a better question is "do you need anything". I really do not need anything, so to me, there are really no items worth buying this BF. But previously when I was on the prowl for a TV or something, yeah BF probably seemed more "worth it" or appealing to me.

Mirrored 11-20-2012 03:45 AM

Unfortunately, Black Friday has been dead since about 2008.

BF got over-hyped and now retailers don't even have to cut prices-- the customers just come by instinct or because they heard that BF was good.

Because of that, there is not much incentive to offer amazing deals. Real bargain hunters are not very profitable customers-- we don't buy things unless they are below market.

On a day where people will be out in droves at stores anyways, why bother catering? As a business strategy, it makes no sense. They get all the upside of doing Black Friday and none of the downside.

Plus there's now even a side industry of "deal" sites that will advertise and hype for them to get page hits.

So, what we get is a bunch of "sales" where any real deal-hunter will have seen better.

Aside from a few small things, this year, like last year, and the year before, are a bust.

someone31988 11-20-2012 05:40 AM

The only thing I'm after is the $200 PS3 bundle with Uncharted 1 and 2 and Infamous 1 and 2 which I'll be giving away to my brother as a Christmas gift. I'm hoping to be able to buy it from Amazon anyway. Speaking of that, does anyone know when that sale starts for Amazon?

drsketch 11-20-2012 05:57 AM

I have already gotten a 99$ xbox and a 60" vizio at sams so yes

ask_j 11-20-2012 06:05 AM

99 xbox?

Quote:

Originally Posted by drsketch (Post 54985146)
I have already gotten a 99$ xbox and a 60" vizio at sams so yes

$99 xbox how?

derek533 11-20-2012 06:10 AM

I've been in the market for a new tv for a awhile now. I specifically held off knowing the best deals would be coming LEADING UP TO BF and not necessarily on the day itself. That's the way it's been the past few years, if you really are looking for something in particular, you have to be willing to pull the trigger and accept the consequences that the item may or may not be cheaper on BF itself.

Case in point, bought a 60" Panny plasma on Sunday for $798 from Amazon. Effectively, this would make the price in a retail store around here be about $745 (which I don't have to pay from Amazon here in OK) when considering sales tax. After scanning the adds, the only tv that comes close to this price is the Vizio. Then you have to factor in time/effort to obtain the Vizio and the question becomes is it really worth it and is there is a realistic chance I would even get it? For me, the answer is heck no. For the Panny plasma which is going to be a lightning deal, I also had to decide if I thought it would go cheaper on BF which I don't think it will by much, and if there's even a chance I could get it in the 10 seconds it will be available. Both of those answers for me was no.

It's all about balancing out if there's something you really need vs. the time/money aspect of it. Like the other poster mentioned before, when HDTVs were in the thousands of dollars, it was not uncommon to see huge discounts as the profit margins allowed this. Nowadays, margins are so thin that it's unreasonable to expect all the bells and whistles for pennies on the dollar.

ncasolo 11-20-2012 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derek533 (Post 54985590)
I've been in the market for a new tv for a awhile now. I specifically held off knowing the best deals would be coming LEADING UP TO BF and not necessarily on the day itself. That's the way it's been the past few years, if you really are looking for something in particular, you have to be willing to pull the trigger and accept the consequences that the item may or may not be cheaper on BF itself.

Case in point, bought a 60" Panny plasma on Sunday for $798 from Amazon. Effectively, this would make the price in a retail store around here be about $745 (which I don't have to pay from Amazon here in OK) when considering sales tax. After scanning the adds, the only tv that comes close to this price is the Vizio. Then you have to factor in time/effort to obtain the Vizio and the question becomes is it really worth it and is there is a realistic chance I would even get it? For me, the answer is heck no. For the Panny plasma which is going to be a lightning deal, I also had to decide if I thought it would go cheaper on BF which I don't think it will by much, and if there's even a chance I could get it in the 10 seconds it will be available. Both of those answers for me was no.

It's all about balancing out if there's something you really need vs. the time/money aspect of it. Like the other poster mentioned before, when HDTVs were in the thousands of dollars, it was not uncommon to see huge discounts as the profit margins allowed this. Nowadays, margins are so thin that it's unreasonable to expect all the bells and whistles for pennies on the dollar.

That TV is regularly $800 at Sams I think. Either way it is a good deal on a good TV as long as you aren't in a room with a lot of light. I waited outside for just 3 hours to get a Vizio on Sunday at Sams.

Other deals I've considered worth it

Big Bang Theory Season 5 $9
Sherlock Holmest Blu-Ray $4
Need for Speed MW $30
ACIII $35
Moneyball Blu-ray $8

Big ticket items? No there aren't really any other than some of the cheaper TVs. That 50" Toshiba LED for $300 is a good deal on a cheaper TV. A $97 32" TV and 40" TVs for under $200. I don't see any of the premium models being given a significant discount and I think that's where a lot of people are saying there's nothing worth it out there.

tonyo2000 11-20-2012 06:35 AM

In years past I'd go to BB and be pretty far back in line and still get a lot of the door busters. The last couple years I'd get there much earlier and not get anything. Last year I was 30 feet from the door and didn't get what I wanted. Sure they may have good deals but the quantities have gone waaaaaaay down.

Neecy 11-20-2012 06:42 AM

I've been looking through the ads and this year really is a lot of hype. There are a few decent doorbusters sprinkled in that very few people will get without a brawl, and that's not my thing. Other than that, not very big sales on the rest of the stuff in the ads.

The best sales I've found, by far, is just by using this site throughout the year. I still love my HP TouchPad and use it daily. I've surprised myself by being able to install Android on it. And I was able to get my nephews TouchPads as well just by following the very lengthy threads here.

I'm just going to enjoy my T-day dinner with my family and not engage in the BF madness. No real reason to.

aj569 11-20-2012 07:03 AM

I agree with just about everything said here in this thread. I really enjoy deal-hunting at SD, but on Black Friday, you have to compete with the hordes of mindless people, lines, and hassles. The deals are not what they used to be in terms of real (rather than relative) savings. I would never stand outside a store and wait in line more than a half-hour to get one of these advertised deals---it's just not worth my (or most other people's) time.

I too will be enjoying my Thanksgiving, and all the while keeping an eye on SD just in case anything great pops in. My two cents.

zitiwaffle 11-20-2012 07:05 AM

I'm interested in the 60" Vizio for $688 and a few cheap movies, but that's it.

theGr81 11-20-2012 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by someone31988 (Post 54984752)
The only thing I'm after is the $200 PS3 bundle with Uncharted 1 and 2 and Infamous 1 and 2 which I'll be giving away to my brother as a Christmas gift. I'm hoping to be able to buy it from Amazon anyway. Speaking of that, does anyone know when that sale starts for Amazon?

Thursday 5:10PM PST

someone31988 11-20-2012 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theGr81 (Post 54989190)
Thursday 5:10PM PST

That seems like an oddly specific time... Where did you see that information?

theGr81 11-20-2012 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by someone31988 (Post 54990066)
That seems like an oddly specific time... Where did you see that information?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature....ayforum-20

someone31988 11-20-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theGr81 (Post 54990452)

Thanks for that. I had been trying to hunt down a page like that on Amazon for a couple days now.

mothernature 11-20-2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loan_Crusader (Post 54976516)
there's a $300 50" TV, wtf more do you want? for $300 all that mofo has to do is turn on and i'd be happy.

there's a new game system release, you find no interest in new game systens? new game systems come out once every 3-4 years.

i don't get what you're shopping for. if you're broke, no one is going to give you shiet for free, get a job then maybe you can do some money saving by buying shiet cheap.

It is about priorities. All this poorly made stuff devalues quickly within a horrible economy. My $197 tv from last year works fine and I have no need to replace it.

I agree with the others. Retailers know people come out to shop so it is best to hit the stores when they need to purge.

hdmiGuy 11-20-2012 09:20 AM

A year of being on Slickdeals ruined Black Friday for me :-(

WhoBeDaPlaya 11-20-2012 09:34 AM

Sure there is :
  • Cheap BluRays from Amazon/BB
  • $89 3TB Externals from Amazon
  • $39 750GB Portable Externals from Amazon
  • (Possibly) 3570K w/$50 off mobo combo for $149.99 at MC
  • $99 2500K at MC

FlyingToaster 11-20-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hdmiGuy (Post 54993416)
A year of being on Slickdeals ruined Black Friday for me :-(

Yeppppp...I hear 'ya. Same here. ;)

st3ady 11-20-2012 10:11 AM

This thread made me feel warm and fuzzy inside. BF has been terrible for the past 7 years or so and I hope you all enjoy spending time with your family, loved ones, and friends. Happy Holidays peeps.

ncasolo 11-20-2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhoBeDaPlaya (Post 54994002)
Sure there is :
  • Cheap BluRays from Amazon/BB
  • $89 3TB Externals from Amazon
  • $39 750GB Portable Externals from Amazon
  • (Possibly) 3570K w/$50 off mobo combo for $149.99 at MC
  • $99 2500K at MC

A 3570K for $150 with a $50 mobo discount is a GREAT deal. I paid $190 for the same deal 2 months ago. Wish I had been able to do it online, but I had another reason I had to drive 3 hours to Chicago anyhow and picked it up while I was there.

Outrun1986 11-20-2012 10:53 AM

Really, do you want a $97 TV with a terrible picture that will probably die in 2 years? I know I don't, especially since I have a working TV. If I buy a TV I want a quality brand with a good picture and good viewing angles. I have a Panasonic TV right next to my computer and I can sit on my computer and view it perfectly directly from the side, which is pretty priceless to me. I am very fortunate to have a beautiful working TV set. If I didn't have a working TV I would be off to the SA to pick up a CRT for like $5.99 or I would get one off the craigslist free section.

There is pretty much nothing that can get me out in the hordes of people, especially since I live on border and all the Canadians come over here to buy our stuff. Shopping is almost too crazy to bear on a normal Saturday so I can't imagine what BF is gonna be like. The last time I went out on BF at all was probably 2008 or so back when you could get the smaller sale items later in the day but nowadays everyone flocks to the store and waits in the line for 2-3 days just to save $50 on some item, they clean out the whole store in a day and there is basically nothing left to buy at all. I am staying home no thank you. The discounts are smaller and the products are lower quality, heck they buy all the regular price items, the retailers could advertise items as on sale but really put the regular prices on them and people would still stand in line for them because its BF and people want to buy.

Yes the Wii U is interesting as the last video game system release was in 2006 but Nintendo has been sorely lacking as of late, all of the systems features are being held back and their first party games have nothing but rubberband AI in them (try fortune street if you don't believe me). I own a PS3 and Xbox 360 and other than Nintendo Land and Super Mario I can get all the games on the Wii U for cheaper prices on the 360 and PS3. I am also not interested in playing Super Mario and Nintendo Land, I played NSMB Wii and it was the most awful video game I have ever played. You want me to pay $60 for Mass effect 3 when it is on the 360 for $20 or less, no thank you!

I won't go to the stores but I do buy some things online, I have already gotten 3 video games for $10 each, titles that retailed for much more than that. I am not even paying $25-30 for a video game, because I have so many video games I really don't need to pay those prices, I can wait till the title gets to $10.

WhoBeDaPlaya 11-20-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ncasolo (Post 54996960)
A 3570K for $150 with a $50 mobo discount is a GREAT deal. I paid $190 for the same deal 2 months ago. Wish I had been able to do it online, but I had another reason I had to drive 3 hours to Chicago anyhow and picked it up while I was there.

That's just speculation though - won't know until the actual ad comes out.
If this turns out to be true, then I won't feel so bad for missing out on the $99 2500K deal, although I'd actually prefer that CPU over the 3570K.

jimmycricket 11-20-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outrun1986 (Post 54997422)
Really, do you want a $97 TV with a terrible picture that will probably die in 2 years? I know I don't, especially since I have a working TV. If I buy a TV I want a quality brand with a good picture and good viewing angles. I have a Panasonic TV right next to my computer and I can sit on my computer and view it perfectly directly from the side, which is pretty priceless to me. I am very fortunate to have a beautiful working TV set. If I didn't have a working TV I would be off to the SA to pick up a CRT for like $5.99 or I would get one off the craigslist free section.

There is pretty much nothing that can get me out in the hordes of people,

I second that!
I've never done the traditional black friday thing but have known about it since way back when. Never liked the idea of standing in line for a long time for the "possibility" of a deal let alone go crazy over getting a crappy brand or lower model item that was overpriced to begin with. The cost - benefit ratio never made sense to me. Time = money. When I made less money my $/hr value made it worth while to stand in line but the deals I wanted to get were still too expensive for what I could afford. When I finally could afford the things they were selling, my $/hr value exceeded any savings on the BF items especially considering my taste in quality had also exceeded the models being sold. Besides, it defeats the spirit of BF for the retailers which I'm loathe to be a part of. They dangle the "possibility" of getting a super hot but limited quantity deal carrot as an excuse to get a bunch of people in the store in hopes that while they are there they also buy some of the high margin accessories and items.

For me black friday rarely appealed since most of the stuff on sale even back in the hey days were things I would not normally buy for personal use (maybe resell for profit) anyway. They never sell top-of-the-line model TV's, Receivers, HD Camcorders, or anything that a picky buyer would want anyway. My one memorable black friday purcahse was actually a delayed Cyber Wednesday purchase of an Epson 8350 powerlite HD projector from BB online last year which sold for $999 + free in-store pickup when it was retailing everywhere else for $1300-1600. Not the best deal nor the best projector but it met my $/hr value in that I didn't have to wait in line to save an exclusive $300-600 + shipping, and though I would have prefered the higher end Samsung or Sony models that retail for $5-10k it was a good way to test the waters with projectors. Epson quality and cost merited the risk. Otherwise, the only reason to buy things on BF/CM is to get cheap crappy gifts for extended family members that would feel worse for not being remembered than about what you actually got them.
In looking at the ads, I haven't seen any projectors rivaling the Epson's quality nor any other items I'm in the market for. Seriously, where's
1. the portable Honda or Generac 5000 - 8000watt generators for $400-600
2. the Canon Vixia HF G10 for $650
3. the Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 Lens for $200
4. the Audi R8 for $70k seriously that's a deal I'd wait in line for a week to get shot at.

Nah if I'm going to waste my time, I think I'll just stay home and play Halo 4 or Call of Duty black ops 2.

ncasolo 11-20-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmycricket (Post 55002074)
I second that!
I've never done the traditional black friday thing but have known about it since way back when. Never liked the idea of standing in line for a long time for the "possibility" of a deal let alone go crazy over getting a crappy brand or lower model item that was overpriced to begin with. The cost - benefit ratio never made sense to me. Time = money. When I made less money my $/hr value made it worth while to stand in line but the deals I wanted to get were still too expensive for what I could afford. When I finally could afford the things they were selling, my $/hr value exceeded any savings on the BF items especially considering my taste in quality had also exceeded the models being sold. Besides, it defeats the spirit of BF for the retailers which I'm loathe to be a part of. They dangle the "possibility" of getting a super hot but limited quantity deal carrot as an excuse to get a bunch of people in the store in hopes that while they are there they also buy some of the high margin accessories and items.

For me black friday rarely appealed since most of the stuff on sale even back in the hey days were things I would not normally buy for personal use (maybe resell for profit) anyway. They never sell top-of-the-line model TV's, Receivers, HD Camcorders, or anything that a picky buyer would want anyway. My one memorable black friday purcahse was actually a delayed Cyber Wednesday purchase of an Epson 8350 powerlite HD projector from BB online last year which sold for $999 + free in-store pickup when it was retailing everywhere else for $1300-1600. Not the best deal nor the best projector but it met my $/hr value in that I didn't have to wait in line to save an exclusive $300-600 + shipping, and though I would have prefered the higher end Samsung or Sony models that retail for $5-10k it was a good way to test the waters with projectors. Epson quality and cost merited the risk. Otherwise, the only reason to buy things on BF/CM is to get cheap crappy gifts for extended family members that would feel worse for not being remembered than about what you actually got them.
In looking at the ads, I haven't seen any projectors rivaling the Epson's quality nor any other items I'm in the market for. Seriously, where's
1. the portable Honda or Generac 5000 - 8000watt generators for $400-600
2. the Canon Vixia HF G10 for $650
3. the Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 Lens for $200
4. the Audi R8 for $70k seriously that's a deal I'd wait in line for a week to get shot at.

Nah if I'm going to waste my time, I think I'll just stay home and play Halo 4 or Call of Duty black ops 2.

Wait what? An Audi R8 for $70,000? Tell me more about this deal. I don't have the money but I might find someone who does and try to convince them to flip it for a profit.

lilbuddy 11-20-2012 01:04 PM

Used to be there was stuff so cheap I felt like I had to buy it. I'm not in the market for anything over $50 though now. I don't need a new TV, computer, laptop, tablet, game system, etc. Things that catch my eye now are like $5 TV series, $10 video games, or $10 tools.

dealhustlr 11-20-2012 01:10 PM

I have not seen anything worth getting excited about. A few usb drives and some cheap small appliances are what I will look for online. I tried to get one of the $97 tvs for a gift, but Sears.com is the worst ever.

Aside from the free HP stuff, 2012 has really sucked for deals. Spoiled from the good old days dealer here. I remember when SD used to post deals on FW..

Loan_Crusader 11-20-2012 01:17 PM

bunch of sad broke ppl in this thread

sanji 11-20-2012 01:19 PM

hoping to get some clothes and maybe get a nexus 7 online at a good price, to avoid CA tax. :D

not much going for BF this year though.

hdmiGuy 11-20-2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loan_Crusader (Post 55003814)
bunch of sad broke ppl in this thread

>Doesn't wait in line to shop with mob mentality
>Stays home with family and shops online
>"bunch of sad broke ppl"

You got it, buddy :thumbup:

beundertaker 11-20-2012 02:22 PM

$50 120GB SSD Drives at newegg!!

and maybe a video game here and there

Quote:

Originally Posted by hdmiGuy (Post 55005672)
>Doesn't wait in line to shop with mob mentality
>Stays home with family and shops online
>"bunch of sad broke ppl"

You got it, buddy :thumbup:

stop that

ChrisTech 11-20-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loan_Crusader (Post 54976516)

Wow, a $300 tv!! Umm, I'm not standing in line all night for a few hundred bucks off a tv. My family time or just my personal time is worth more than that. Even standing in line doesn't mean you will get a door buster item.

New game system, oh boy! Is there a deep discount on it? If not, it can wait til after Thursday/Friday.

I really didn't see much in the way of anything decent this year. As usual most if, any of my shopping on Friday, will be from the comfort of my computer chair in my home office.

And as always, most door buster items are either no name items, or EoL (end of life) items that you can get online for the same price.

I can't see standing outside all night waiting to save a couple hundred bucks, when I could be inside, enjoying family & friend's company, drinking or whatnot. Enjoy the insanity, I will be watching it on tv!

nonstopfan 11-20-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockstar1009 (Post 54979560)
10 years ago when HDTVs and laptops cost thousands, you could expect to save a grand or two on them. Now that manufacturing costs are down and they cost hundreds, the savings aren't nearly as steep. You can still buy doorbusters for 50% off, but that 50% off the TV is now a savings of $150, not $1500. The savings are still there, but the volume of savings has long since dried up. It's a matter of perspective as to whether it's "worth it" or not nowadays.

I myself don't bother with big ticket items on BF anymore since most are rubbish brands or models (veteran SDers know that the good brands/models go on sale the final week before Xmas when retailers get desperate and offer legit deals during the final sales push; plus SlickDeals delivers on the other 364 days a year, and you don't have to fight mobs to save a few bucks). Black Friday for me is just stocking up on hellacheap games and movies now.

Thought that I would rep this.....

Best post of the day

stasis 11-20-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

are you bringing your laptop with you? :D

bob77 11-20-2012 02:51 PM

Looks like nothing but crap to me.

Im not going to camp out all week so I have no chance of getting any of the tv's anyway . not that they are anything that great.

Im getting to where I love black friday because of all the entertaining videos that pop up of people acting like animals.

xtrabad 11-20-2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stasis (Post 55007086)
are you bringing your laptop with you? :D

Actually I am not but I have my smartphone so will not be completely off the grid. :P

pecola 11-20-2012 03:23 PM

Always amazed by how many people--who post on a site exclusively about getting lots of sh*t for as little money as possible--bemoan the efforts of other people trying to get lots of sh*t for as little money as possible.

Just because you do it online and they do it offline doesn't make you special.

lazyman 11-20-2012 03:32 PM

Absolutely nothing.... I'll stay home and sleep.

rydaz3s 11-20-2012 04:16 PM

buy first, think later.
Black Friday continues to suck and has now just become a way for big retailers to lure people into stores so they buy random stuff... people are ready to throw money at stores the day after thanksgiving and most retailers are just passing off POS crap and calling it a deal.
The way I see it, this will be one of the last 'big black fridays'.. a recent article said about ~54% people wish they could skip Christmas this year (b/c of financial hardships) and it's only gonna' get worse from here.

Kalipsoh 11-20-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pecola (Post 55009116)
Always amazed by how many people--who post on a site exclusively about getting lots of sh*t for as little money as possible--bemoan the efforts of other people trying to get lots of sh*t for as little money as possible.

Just because you do it online and they do it offline doesn't make you special.

Umm...no. They're saying what's "special" is being astute enough to recognize over-hyped crap deals from the prices they can get the other 364 days by being savvy consumers and frequenting slickdeals.

They're not knocking the Luddites...let them camp out in line for 4 days to pay $100 more for their laptop than a slickdealer bought in seconds via this site 2 months ago. Someone's gotta frequent the store my son is a clerk at so he stays employed. :D

And the only good deal I see is potentially the $15 KC for $50 if k-kups are on sale...then I can get my caffeine & get my son clothing from their great clearance racks for free after KC.

I think the last great BF deal I got was the $5/AC shopvac from Lowes around 5 years ago. Since then maybe stocking stuffers or a couple doorbuster items I ordered online. I think I did order a $25 HP printer last year. Thank you slickdeals for making every day a BF...without the hassle! Already bough 90% of the gifts with close to 75% resulting from posts here.

Icecreamlova 11-20-2012 05:20 PM

If all fails, stocking up on some amazon accounts, since we know those lovely ultimate ears are gonne be one sale :). Easiest couple hundred dollars to make. Probably should go all in this time around. Get 20 and flip for 1k profit.

But im too lazy to do that -_-

goldeneye2 11-20-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icecreamlova (Post 55013906)
If all fails, stocking up on some amazon accounts, since we know those lovely ultimate ears are gonne be one sale :). Easiest couple hundred dollars to make. Probably should go all in this time around. Get 20 and flip for 1k profit.

But im too lazy to do that -_-

what is this you speak of? how much do you think Amazon'll have 'em for... I've been lookin' for some quality headphones

MommaLa 11-20-2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nauticalx (Post 54971414)

Are you sure they were BF shoppers, Sam's Clubs had VIP events that night, hence lines.

alex83168 11-20-2012 10:24 PM

Just a handful of SD cards for my upcoming photo trip.

alex83168 11-20-2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Thats exactly what I am planning this thanksgiving. All the BF marketing hype is like a little kid in a casino, too many distractions! HI here I come!

OrthodoxAtheist 11-20-2012 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MommaLa (Post 55018866)
Are you sure they were BF shoppers, Sam's Clubs had VIP events that night, hence lines.

Sam's Club's VIP event was from 8pm to 10pm, so there was no reason for anyone to be queuing at 10:30pm for that event... it would have been over and the store closed. I know because I went to my local Sam's Club to watch the crazy people. :shake: Watching people try and put a 60' TV into a small car was fun. I agree that its strange if they were queuing for Black Friday though, considering most BF deals are mediocre, and they're about 3 days ahead of anyone else caring to queue .:D

sacflies 11-20-2012 11:48 PM

Toshiba 50" LED HDTV for $300 tax free, even if a basic model, seems plenty slick to me. Especially if you don't have to wait in line to get it. Need Discover card though.

jazb99 11-21-2012 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DQue (Post 54972802)
As the economy proves still being very weak this year and uncertainty in regards to the tax policy, most retailers have to stay on the conservative side and be careful not to hurt the bottom line. Therefore, they can't slash BF prices as aggressively as they would like to.

The economy is "still very weak"? Really? Everyone I know who has always had steady employment has a job and I don't see anyone living any different than before the artificial economy that existed when people were living off of home equity loans. Not so say no one has it rough, people have struggled since the beginning of time. But I'm conceding we have a weak economy when I see the mall and dept store parking lots full all hours of every day. An extra 1.5 people out of a hundred unemployed doesn't make the economy very weak nor does an extra 1.5 per hundred make it very strong.

And, just FYI, taxes are paid on net profits, not gross sales. So what would a "tax uncertainty" have to do with wanting to make profits? Pricing models have nothing to do with revenue taxes, it is about bottom line. Bottom line dictates the taxes paid, not the other way around.

My point is, this is nonsense. It all comes down to margins and their projected returns on the loss leaders and zero margin offers to get publicity and people through the door. In it's simplest form: "Come for the TV at cost, stay for 20 other impulse buys at regular sale prices"

The only problem is when the offers are "while supplies last" and the supply consists of 1 per store and there are 1,000 people who came for it. That is why I only do BF online, and one year I grabbed a 48" LED 720P for $280 and the other year a 50" Plasma 1080P for $300. Both for around half off the cheapest you get it or a comparable TV for at the time. I haven't seen anything that stands out this year, but then again there hasn't been anything I really need. I will probably be sitting out on this BF entirely.

dealhustlr 11-21-2012 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalipsoh (Post 55013440)
I think the last great BF deal I got was the $5/AC shopvac from Lowes around 5 years ago.

I got in on that shopvac deal.. That thing is huge.:worship:

bolland99 11-21-2012 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazb99 (Post 55029104)
Everyone I know who has always had steady employment has a job and I don't see anyone living any different than before the artificial economy that existed when people were living off of home equity loans.

The statistics say different....a lot different. More people in poverty and the middle class is eroding. But that is based on facts and numbers and not that "everyone you know still has a job".

wasssup 11-21-2012 04:35 AM

My wife wants to experience black friday (she never did it growing up), so I'll be tagging along with her and a fully charged phone. Quite frankly I haven't purchased things on BF in years.

Baldie 11-21-2012 05:31 AM

My local walmart was already putting up baracades for the lines yesterday. My local best buy had about 10+ people in line this past Sunday. WTF?!?!?

I have a couple things on my list but found all of them online at a better deal. I'll probably hit up Walmart and Best Buy for the blu ray movies but thats pretty much it.

CptObvious 11-21-2012 05:52 AM

Seems like retailers just gave up. The stuff that's deeply discounted is cheap crap and everything else is regular price (markup minus discount) under the guise of a bargain.

SumDuud 11-21-2012 06:18 AM

I've found that beyond the door buster deals (and even some of those deals) most BF deals are replicated up until Christmas many times over, often online, but sometimes in the B&M stores too. I sleep in or go to work on BF, not worth it anymore.

Outrun1986 11-21-2012 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazb99 (Post 55029104)
The economy is "still very weak"? Really? Everyone I know who has always had steady employment has a job and I don't see anyone living any different than before the artificial economy that existed when people were living off of home equity loans. Not so say no one has it rough, people have struggled since the beginning of time. But I'm conceding we have a weak economy when I see the mall and dept store parking lots full all hours of every day. An extra 1.5 people out of a hundred unemployed doesn't make the economy very weak nor does an extra 1.5 per hundred make it very strong.

And, just FYI, taxes are paid on net profits, not gross sales. So what would a "tax uncertainty" have to do with wanting to make profits? Pricing models have nothing to do with revenue taxes, it is about bottom line. Bottom line dictates the taxes paid, not the other way around.

My point is, this is nonsense. It all comes down to margins and their projected returns on the loss leaders and zero margin offers to get publicity and people through the door. In it's simplest form: "Come for the TV at cost, stay for 20 other impulse buys at regular sale prices"

The only problem is when the offers are "while supplies last" and the supply consists of 1 per store and there are 1,000 people who came for it. That is why I only do BF online, and one year I grabbed a 48" LED 720P for $280 and the other year a 50" Plasma 1080P for $300. Both for around half off the cheapest you get it or a comparable TV for at the time. I haven't seen anything that stands out this year, but then again there hasn't been anything I really need. I will probably be sitting out on this BF entirely.

This is the problem, I hear retailers crying that profits are down yet people at least in my area are flocking to the stores and filling the parking lots every single day. Items are flying off the shelves even at non-sale prices. Why put an item on sale when you know people will put down regular price for it if the retailer prints the price in the ad even if its not really a sale price? I watch the people in line in front of me in stores spend $100-200 at a retail store and not even blink when they swipe the card to pay. I don't think I have ever randomly loaded the cart down with that much merchandise in a retail store at once in my whole life excluding groceries stores and we only buy groceries because well, we have to eat! They are loading their carts and loading up and swiping that credit card, I don't see what there is to cry about.

There was a time when there were actual sales, the sale paper did not print regular prices as an advertised item, everything in the ads was at least a few dollars below the shelf tag. Now retailers are just printing the regular price in the ad and calling it the advertised price or the sale price, very few prices in sale ads are actually items that are on sale.

99% of video games drop in price, its very foolish to pay full price for one, $60 is just too much for one video game. They hype up all the games and in the end really, the game is just another video game. Right now for me its $10 or less a game or I don't buy it.

I am not a sad, broke or poor person, I just want products that are of quality, will last and again, like many others in this thread I am not in a position where I am so poor that standing in line for a $97 TV is my only option for getting one because I only have the money for the TV in my pocket and no more. There is also nothing that I NEED, and certainly nothing that will make me go and stand in a throng of people where I could be mamed, injured or trampled and yes it does happen even if stores have the best security, it is no match for an angry throng of people who just want a deal. If you are getting really deep into it the medical bills I could potentially face, should I become injured, from being in a BF situation would far exceed the savings of any item I could pick up on BF.

Richard24 11-21-2012 10:21 AM

assassin's creed III for $25 is probably the best deal this BF

Mirrored 11-21-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bolland99 (Post 55032824)
The statistics say different....a lot different. More people in poverty and the middle class is eroding. But that is based on facts and numbers and not that "everyone you know still has a job".

This is largely caused by growing inequity and the lack of a consumer base. Since the very wealthy do not spend their money, lowering taxes on them actually hurts the economy (and encourages investment in low-return stocks rather than high-return new businesses).

Personally, in 2008 I started working on layoffs. In 2012 I am working on hiring. There's still talk of softness, but I think you're attributing the macro-economic problems to something arbitrary.

There's also the issue of double-irishing, where companies avoid taxes by manufacturing overseas, allocating the goods to a holding company in the Netherlands, then transferring inventory between other corporate bodies....

Or you can believe the whole tax thing. Because it sounds very easy and simple. It's totally untrue. But it sounds very good.

dkman610 11-21-2012 11:25 AM

It's Commercialas, not Christmas now..... Deals are worse, people are worse off and actually pretty insatiable to try to get a deal they'll run you over no questions asked.... I will not partake in this Black Friday or any other Black Friday for that matter, besides if I had to, there's always Cyber Monday....

DealsAllTheWay 11-22-2012 05:00 PM

I budgeted around $2000 for this black friday..now I really don't know what to buy..

md.ped.doc 11-22-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DQue (Post 55033334)
Stay off the meth. It makes you stay high all the times and IMAGINE and make up stuff inside your head!

Eventually it can kill you as well!

Your initial post and your response here makes you a clear member of the Republican party. Republicans love switching the topic to something totally irrelevant so that their made-up, factless beliefs are never proven wrong.

DQue 11-22-2012 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by md.ped.doc (Post 55137912)
Your initial post and your response here makes you a clear member of the Republican party. Republicans love switching the topic to something totally irrelevant so that their made-up, factless beliefs are never proven wrong.

Wrong! I'm an illegal immigrant and I'm not legible to vote.

Sethbacca 11-22-2012 05:55 PM

So far I've gotten
Kindle Special Offers for $46
Nook Simple Touch for $50
Breaking Bad - 4 blu-ray seasons for $38
Spartacus Blu-Ray seasons for $15 apiece
Big Bang Theory dvd seasons for 7.99 apiece
Settlers of Catan for $26

I'm good to go at this point.

edgeh2o 11-22-2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

there's a $300 50" TV, wtf more do you want?
Since you asked, a TV that's actually good quality. I wouldn't pay $200 for that TV. It will be fine for a lot of people, but the PQ, flashlighting, poor motion and viewing angles don't do it for me. Unfortunately BF gives no love to high-end plasmas.

Cryo 11-22-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outrun1986 (Post 55044626)
99% of video games drop in price, its very foolish to pay full price for one, $60 is just too much for one video game. They hype up all the games and in the end really, the game is just another video game. Right now for me its $10 or less a game or I don't buy it.

I agree on this. I haven't bought a release-priced game in years. Wait a few months, and the game will be half price, and most go on sale for under $10 within a year or so, at least for digitally-distributed PC games. If you can buy a half-dozen year-old games for less than the cost of one new release, there isn't much point in picking them up right away. It's not like games improve that much from one year to the next. I have a sizable backlog, so there isn't much point in adding new games to it that will just be displacing others.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DealsAllTheWay (Post 55135614)
I budgeted around $2000 for this black friday..now I really don't know what to buy..

You should buy a safe, for all the money you saved by not buying anything. : 3

Quote:

Originally Posted by md.ped.doc (Post 55137912)

I can't tell if this post is intended as a joke or not. Sadly, I don't think that it is. Wasn't everyone else discussing potential reasons Black Friday deals might not be as good lately? : P

alex83168 11-22-2012 07:04 PM

just a handful of SD cards. #foreveralone.

-Uncharted- 11-22-2012 08:57 PM

I got myself a 5 piece electric drum set for $180 and my sisters some skull candy headphones for $8. Other than that, nothing really caught my eye this year.