Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Deal Talk (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   NOOK Color Barnes & Noble Wi-Fi ® eReader (Refurb) $59 + Free Shipping (Ebay Daily Deal) (http://slickdeals.net/f/5551430-nook-color-barnes-noble-wi-fi-ereader-refurb-59-free-shipping-ebay-daily-deal)

DJ3xclusive 11-22-2012 01:00 AM

NOOK Color Barnes & Noble Wi-Fi ® eReader (Refurb) $59 + Free Shipping (Ebay Daily Deal)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOOK-Colo...0725201564

brisar 11-22-2012 01:00 AM

8GB Barnes & Noble Nook Color WiFi eReader (Refurbished) $59 + Free Shipping

1 Attachment(s)
Barnes & Noble via eBay has 8GB Barnes & Noble Nook Color WiFi eReader (Refurbished) for $59 with free shipping. Thanks DJ3xclusive

Review courtesy of Engdaget

wikipost 11-22-2012 01:00 AM

This post can and should be edited by users like you :)

dead.

Copy the instruction from post #178, credit to kulardenu:
http://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=55681740&postcount=178

If you just want Android CM7 (voids warranty) and NOT one that just boots and runs off the SD crd. It seems to run better than a SD booter where you keep the Nook software.

I used these instructions here [xda-developers.com] paying attention to only downloading the files for the CM7.
It's a little sketchy to follow but not too bad and it worked well for me.

One thing to note I had better luck using and external USB SD card reader to flash and copy the files over to the microSD. The ones I tried flashing direct from my internal card reader on my PC were questionable.

The thing to remember is you have four files I put the links here to make it simpler.
1. the CWM image file [tinyw.in] that you unzip and burn to the micro SD crd using win32diskimager (free) [launchpad.net]

2. CM7 2.2 [mediafire.com] that you copy to SD card leaving it as a zip file.

3. The Google Apps file [goo-inside.me] that you copy to SD card leaving it as a zip file.

4. The CWM updater [techerrata.com] that you copy to SD card leaving it as a zip file.

Then follow the instructions from the guide.

dephtones 11-22-2012 01:11 AM

tax blows but in for 1 for the wife. thanks.

kris259 11-22-2012 01:22 AM

nice price...previous lowest I can think if was 65 shipped from cowboom and that was pre owned... these are factory refurbs direct from B&N... so probably better quality overall.... cvb v

stalechips 11-22-2012 01:55 AM

REFURB Nook Color by Barnes & Noble $59 - eBay BF Deal

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOOK-Colo...0725201564

Barnes and Noble has the Nook Color Wi-Fi on sale for 59.00.

JUST A REMINDER, it is refurbished, but sold directly by B&N

slickpokerdealer 11-22-2012 01:57 AM

Looks like a good price

WideLoadHere 11-22-2012 01:57 AM

Repost

http://slickdeals.net/f/5551430-NOOK-Color-Barnes-Noble-Wi-Fi-eReader-Refurb-59-Free-Shipping-Ebay-Daily-Deal

miotch 11-22-2012 02:06 AM

Great deal. I've bought at least 10 "refurbished" NCs, NTs, and normal Nooks from the B&N ebay site and I swear they're new.

I think it's just a way of them backdoor-discounting the readers...

chazzzer 11-22-2012 02:20 AM

Definitely a better deal than the scratch and dent stuff that Cowboom has been selling, especially since these come with the high-current Nook power adapter and matching charging cable (most of Cowboom's did not). The Nook Color won't charge at over 500mA with a standard micro-USB cable, regardless of what power source you plug it into.

I find it curious that there's no mention of the warranty length. The refurb e-Ink Nook I bought from B&N a couple of years ago had the full one-year warranty...I wonder if they still do that with their refurbs?

pinsomniac 11-22-2012 02:22 AM

What's the better deal: This or a Nook Tablet (refurbished) for $20 more?

namlook 11-22-2012 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinsomniac (Post 55093920)

Where is the tablet for $79?

demiurge3141 11-22-2012 02:29 AM

Quote:

where do you find the tablet?

JulianT 11-22-2012 02:31 AM

This has Netflix right?

Buckeyefan 1 11-22-2012 02:32 AM

This is a tinker type tablet, not a buy it out of the box and use it. So unless you are wanting to throw in a mSD card, and root it, it's not as useful as something that comes with ICS preloaded. A N2A card from Amazon will set you back $20 for the old 2.3 version - not 4.0. Rooting this is not rocket science, but there is a learning curve to doing it. My kids love our NC for apps, and I enjoy it for news. But there's no camera. I'd probably recommend the Uniden at Big Lots for the same price, as it's already pre-loaded with ICS and has a camera, plus you can return it if you don't like it. The other big issue with the NC is the charger. The end will eventually bend, and render the cord useless. If it loosens the female inside the NC, you could damage the NC. It's a horrible design. Be careful when charging.

SoCalTiger68 11-22-2012 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeyefan 1 (Post 55094386)
This is a tinker type tablet, not a buy it out of the box and use it. So unless you are wanting to throw in a mSD card, and root it, it's not as useful as something that comes with ICS preloaded. A N2A card from Amazon will set you back $20 for the old 2.3 version - not 4.0. Rooting this is not rocket science, but there is a learning curve to doing it. My kids love our NC for apps, and I enjoy it for news. But there's no camera. I'd probably recommend the Uniden at Big Lots for the same price, as it's already pre-loaded with ICS and has a camera, plus you can return it if you don't like it. The other big issue with the NC is the charger. The end will eventually bend, and render the cord useless. If it loosens the female inside the NC, you could damage the NC. It's a horrible design. Be careful when charging.

Aren't there step-by-step instructions to create a bootable mSD card on XDA?

Quote:

Tablet... but where is this deal?

Buckeyefan 1 11-22-2012 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalTiger68 (Post 55095240)
Aren't there step-by-step instructions to create a bootable mSD card on XDA?

Tablet... but where is this deal?

Yep - it took me several tries, but I did it on 2 NC's. CM7 seems to be the most stable on the NC, and it's a bit long in the tooth compared to ICS. My parents would never be able to load it. Plus you must buy the correct mSD card - the Sandisk cards are the best, but pricier. Class 2-4 max actually work better due to quicker random speeds. The MicroCenter mSD cards are rebadged Sandisk, and work great.

peppermint 11-22-2012 03:03 AM

Quote:

\Pardon my ignorance, but what is N2A card?

kris259 11-22-2012 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miotch (Post 55093180)
Great deal. I've bought at least 10 "refurbished" NCs, NTs, and normal Nooks from the B&N ebay site and I swear they're new.

I think it's just a way of them backdoor-discounting the readers...

you flipping them or what?

Quote:

lowest the nook tablet has been is 89.99 cowboom ... so not sure where you are getting only 20 bucks more... but for 20 more yes...and even 30 more its prob worth it to get a nook tablet 16GB... but if you are only going to use for an ereader, angry birds/quiz/word games and very very occasional browsing...then 59 rooted nook color with CM is hard to beat.. but the uniden over at big lots (search SD for the thread) might be better deal bc of ICS out of the box ready to go...

Quote:

great points!!! agree 100%

Buckeyefan 1 11-22-2012 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peppermint (Post 55095648)

A bootable mSD card that you plug in your Nook, and it boots to Android.
http://www.amazon.com/NOOKANDROID...to+android

kris259 11-22-2012 03:12 AM

Quote:

you can do it yourself if you wanna save the money... there are online step by step instructions and videos on how to do this...

peppermint 11-22-2012 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeyefan 1 (Post 55095762)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kris259 (Post 55096080)
you can do it yourself if you wanna save the money... there are online step by step instructions and videos on how to do this...

thanks

makimc 11-22-2012 03:30 AM

Sweet deal, grabbed one for the wife!

dave621 11-22-2012 03:55 AM

Got One. Thanks.

redheadjlyn 11-22-2012 04:21 AM

Does this come with any sort of warranty? new ones have 1 year...

Haylee112 11-22-2012 04:22 AM

How is a refurbished warranty compared to the warranty from a new unit?

tastyriceboi 11-22-2012 04:39 AM

refurbs get a year, and from some googling it looks like its the same warranty as a new one.

"B&N backs its refurbs with a full one year, same as new. Gotta love that."
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13845_3...9-shipped/

Audroid 11-22-2012 04:42 AM

Got one thanks!

I got a fire last week and love it but I like that I can put android on this one, should be easy, I installed Linux on an old HP Jornada once lol

Tafari06 11-22-2012 04:46 AM

Bought the wife a Nook Color last Christmas and put CM7 (Android) on it and its run like a charm with no issues. In for 3 this time around. Thx OP!

jyjjy777 11-22-2012 05:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeyefan 1 (Post 55095640)
Yep - it took me several tries, but I did it on 2 NC's. CM7 seems to be the most stable on the NC, and it's a bit long in the tooth compared to ICS. My parents would never be able to load it. Plus you must buy the correct mSD card - the Sandisk cards are the best, but pricier. Class 2-4 max actually work better due to quicker random speeds. The MicroCenter mSD cards are rebadged Sandisk, and work great.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeyefan 1 (Post 55095762)

Please, do NOT encourage people to buy these cards. These people are taking the hard work of others, namely the Cyanogenmod team, and using it to scam people into giving them money for something that should be free. The Nook Color is the simplest tablet hack I've ever encountered making it even more egregious.

You do NOT need a special mSD card, any will do, and you are better off installing to the Nook itself rather than booting off an SD card as it is quicker and the you still have the SD slot available for storage.

What you want at this point is CM10 which is actually Jelly Bean based and very usable and stable now. Here is a simple and complete guide to installing CM10 on the Nook Color;

http://www.jamesrigg.com/2012/11/...ook-color/

The only thing I would add is to use the latest CM10 nightly here;
http://get.cm/?device=encore

And when you grab the clockwork mod image just get the 1gb version, no matter the size of your mSD card. The process doesn't need more space than that and the large images take much longer to unzip/put on the card. They are pointless if you are installing to the Nook as you'll just be reformatting your mSD card when you are done.

preludexl 11-22-2012 05:09 AM

Quote:

I'll take a stab for you my good man. But dont you hate when ppl use obscure acronyms? I hate them. I dont know what it stands for exactly b/c I have no interest in Android or Nooks.

But I am pretty sure they meant Nook To Android. N2A.

g00fb4ll 11-22-2012 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jyjjy777 (Post 55098596)
Please, do NOT encouraged people to buy these cards. These people are taking the hard work of others, namely the Cyanogenmod team, and using it to scam people into giving them money for something that should be free. The Nook Color is the simplest tablet hack I've ever encountered making it even more egregious.

You do NOT need a special mSD card, any will do, and you are better off installing to the Nook itself rather than booting off an SD card as it is quicker and the you still have the SD slot available for storage.

What you want at this point is CM10 which is actually Jelly Bean based and quite usable and stable now. Here is a simple and complete guide to installing CM10 on the Nook Color;

And when you grab the clockwork mod image just get the 1gb version, no matter the size of your mSD card. The process doesn't need more space than that and the large images take much longer to unzip/put on the card. They are pointless if you are installing to the Nook as you'll just be reformatting your mSD card when you are done.

Hi im a new to tablet rooting. I noticed there are 2 sections on your cyanogenmod link, stable and nightly. You recommend the cm10 but it is not under the stable section. I do not want to "brick" a newly bought nook, should I try cm7 first and then go cm10 if all is well? Also, can I make my own bootable mSD card with both cm7 and cm10?

One last point, I havent bought this yet because I dont know if its really worth it considering the tablet market is flooded with other newer/faster options at about the same price. Are the nook color specs close to some of the newer chipads or other cheap options available now?

npatel27 11-22-2012 05:12 AM

Quote:

Please, do NOT encourage people to buy these cards. These people are taking the hard work of others, namely the Cyanogenmod team, and using it to scam people into giving them money for something that should be free. The Nook Color is the simplest tablet hack I've ever encountered making it even more egregious.

What you want at this point is CM10 which is actually Jelly Bean based and very usable and stable now. Here is a simple and complete guide to installing CM10 on the Nook Color;

Is the CM10 for Nook Color more stable than the Nook Tablet? Also does it matter what the class of the mSD card is? I remember hearing something that only class 6 or class 4 is useful. And is there a max capacity for that card?

hightop32 11-22-2012 05:13 AM

hard to bite on this with the 'recertified' nook tablet @ $89 at buy

http://www.buy.com/prod/245613360.html

preludexl 11-22-2012 05:13 AM

Quote:

Great points. Sounds like the iphone hack fools who were doing the same thing, profiting off of free info.
Repped.

redheadjlyn 11-22-2012 05:14 AM

I went for it. Bought one yesterday for 75, but 60 is better and all the pre owned reviews seem very good.

skyline889 11-22-2012 05:15 AM

In for one. Running CM10 on an old P509 and love it.

buzz86us 11-22-2012 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 (Post 55098820)
In for one. Running CM10 on an old P509 and love it.

great deal I am running JB on this and it has very good performance definitely worth getting. I use this one for when I am traveling.

skyline889 11-22-2012 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzz86us (Post 55098976)
great deal I am running JB on this and it has very good performance definitely worth getting. I use this one for when I am traveling.

Haha, that's exactly what I bought this for. Don't want to kill my phone's battery while at the airport.

npatel27 11-22-2012 05:30 AM

Can you use this with the 16GB Sandisk Ultra mSD Class 10 card from Bestbuy?

hightop32 11-22-2012 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by npatel27 (Post 55099138)
Can you use this with the 16GB Sandisk Ultra mSD Class 10 card from Bestbuy?

very good match for this, those cards are great.

slomer 11-22-2012 05:33 AM

I have one on CM7. It is tempting to buy another one. If you choose to install CM10 nightlies get netflix 1.8.1 instead of the market version so that it will work correctly.

jyjjy777 11-22-2012 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g00fb4ll (Post 55098752)
Hi im a new to tablet rooting. I noticed there are 2 sections on your cyanogenmod link, stable and nightly. You recommend the cm10 but it is not under the stable section. I do not want to "brick" a newly bought nook, should I try cm7 first and then go cm10 if all is well? Also, can I make my own bootable mSD card with both cm7 and cm10?

One last point, I havent bought this yet because I dont know if its really worth it considering the tablet market is flooded with other newer/faster options at about the same price. Are the nook color specs close to some of the newer chipads or other cheap options available now?

The nightlies are perfectly safe and the latest version. They are what I would recommend using. CM7 I wouldn't recommend at this point with CM10 running so well at this point. Don't worry about bricking much. As it says in the guide I linked the Nook has built in recovery/reset if somehow something goes majorly wrong.

You can make your own bootable card(the link to the CWM image in the guide I pasted is actually a guide for doing so) but for that you WILL want to use one on the smaller Sandisk cards from what I understand and as I said before it will be slower and you then won't be able to use a larger card for storage.

As for your last question this is the best tablet you will find for this price. It has no camera/mic but it is capacitive with an IPS screen and really Cyanogenmod support is invaluable.
Quote:

Originally Posted by npatel27 (Post 55098754)
Is the CM10 for Nook Color more stable than the Nook Tablet? Also does it matter what the class of the mSD card is? I remember hearing something that only class 6 or class 4 is useful. And is there a max capacity for that card?

The type of card only matters if you will actually be using it as the boot partition which I wouldn't choose myself for the reasons I mentioned above. The Nook Color can handle 32gb mSD cards, not sure about 64gb.

As for the Nook Tablet there is a CM10 rom but it's nowhere near as far along;
http://forum.xda-developers.com/s...?t=1773362

smartdeals 11-22-2012 05:40 AM

how cheaper can this go? $40, $30?

kingfisher1111 11-22-2012 05:43 AM

Whether to buy this or buy from Biglots B&M Proscan Android™ 4.0? Which one is good? for $10 more we get an actual android tablet?

http://www.biglots.com/p/c/as-adv...0-7-tablet

buzz86us 11-22-2012 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingfisher1111 (Post 55099396)
Whether to buy this or buy from Biglots B&M Proscan Android™ 4.0? Which one is good? for $10 more we get an actual android tablet?

http://www.biglots.com/p/c/as-adv...0-7-tablet

This is a full android tablet after a little hacking with a 1024 x 600 IPS and that tablet only has a 800 x 480 LCD screen so unless you are only watching videos I recommend the nook color.

fourml8r 11-22-2012 06:02 AM

great product at a great price.

g00fb4ll 11-22-2012 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jyjjy777 (Post 55099328)
The nightlies are perfectly safe and the latest version. They are what I would recommend using. CM7 I wouldn't recommend at this point with CM10 running so well at this point. Don't worry about bricking much. As it says in the guide I linked the Nook has built in recovery/reset if somehow something goes majorly wrong.

You can make your own bootable card(the link to the CWM image in the guide I pasted is actually a guide for doing so) but for that you WILL want to use one on the smaller Sandisk cards from what I understand and as I said before it will be slower and you then won't be able to use a larger card for storage.

As for your last question this is the best tablet you will find for this price. It has no camera/mic but it is capacitive with an IPS screen and really Cyanogenmod support is invaluable.

The type of card only matters if you will actually be using it as the boot partition which I wouldn't choose myself for the reasons I mentioned above. The Nook Color can handle 32gb mSD cards, not sure about 64gb.

As for the Nook Tablet there is a CM10 rom but it's nowhere near as far along;
http://forum.xda-developers.com/s...?t=1773362

Thanks for the info jyjjy777, repped. Now next question, that $89 nook tablet posted here http://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=55098760&postcount=34 has a dual core 1ghz processor while the nc has 800mhz single core im guessing. Is it worth the $30 extra bucks to go with the tablet? Is this a new model(next generation) nook or just a faster older processor? For this price point maybe im better off going to an actual tablet....so many decisions meh! :confused:

mouseyone 11-22-2012 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ3xclusive (Post 55089124)

Thank you! I had stopped hoping for a Simple Touch at a good price (and I'm not making a 90 miles round trip to B&M stores just to see if I could get one), so this one will do quite nicely. Tax sucks, but I'd be paying tax @ B&Ms anyway...

Xmas shopping now complete. Thanks SDers!

dlhoffer 11-22-2012 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g00fb4ll (Post 55100588)
Thanks for the info jyjjy777, repped. Now next question, that $89 nook tablet posted here http://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=55098760&postcount=34 has a dual core 1ghz processor while the nc has 800mhz single core im guessing. Is it worth the $30 extra bucks to go with the tablet? Is this a new model(next generation) nook or just a faster older processor? For this price point maybe im better off going to an actual tablet....so many decisions meh! :confused:

I'm wondering the same!

kenkaniff 11-22-2012 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlhoffer (Post 55101104)
I'm wondering the same!

Me three!!

piercedrn 11-22-2012 06:47 AM

For me, the nook tablet is incomplete because it lacks bluetooth, so no keyboard can be added to make a mini laptop. Accessories must go thru USB which is not pretty.The Nook Color easily overclocks to 1.2 ghz but no dual core.

g00fb4ll 11-22-2012 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piercedrn (Post 55101298)
For me, the nook tablet is incomplete because it lacks bluetooth, so no keyboard can be added to make a mini laptop. Accessories must go thru USB which is not pretty.

Well yeah alot of things make it incomplete, like no camera, hdmi etc. Im really just looking at the meat and potatoes of it, ram and processor which are double that of the nook color.

Oh btw I checked the wiki here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nook_Color and it says this

" It also has been discovered that the device has hidden Bluetooth connectivity abilities in its wireless chipset, available only after rooting, and/or flashing a device to the CyanogenMod 7 version of Android for this device"

:D

matthewsjl 11-22-2012 07:12 AM

The Nook Color has Bluetooth, the Nook Tablet does not.

Bluetooth range on the Color is limited (suspect that there isn't an antenna) so expect range of a few feet - anything over 6ft is likely pushing it.

John.

newsance 11-22-2012 07:34 AM

Ordered three as cheap tablets for family members. Awesome!

Question- If the primary use for this will be a tablet (netflix, web surfing, etc.) should I just plan on rooting these to Jellybean from the get go?

Can anybody comment on which is faster- the stock firmware or newer versions of Android?

GIRay 11-22-2012 07:41 AM

Can it run ICS and Jelly Bean?

sallii3 11-22-2012 08:13 AM

Hi everyone,

Happy Thanksgiving. So I am in need of some advice here. I was originally looking to get a ereader solely for the purpose of reading. And I saw that Sears has the nook simple touch on sale for 39.99 and this is for blackfriday so I would have to go through that whole mess. But now I am seeing this deal the nook color for 59.99, $20 more so which is a better deal? Thanks!

mrstangblb 11-22-2012 08:20 AM

This post was answered prayer, for sure - I had bought 3 of the Uniden tablets at Big Lots yesterday hoping my niece and nephews would enjoy them for Christmas, but I took one out last night to get it ready for them. There is a whole ROW of the screen that was not responsive, and I was extremely disappointed in the Uniden tablet, even if it was $59.

I didn't open the other 2 for fear that something might be wrong with them, too. They're just a lot more cheaply made than the Nook Color.

I am in for 3 of these Nook Colors because I've rooted and played with them before, and their screens are beautiful! Thanks very much, OP, for letting me know about this deal. I'm going to be back in the rooting business soon! Hope Jelly Bean works great on these, but I know Gingerbread does.

I'll look more closely, but can you set up Jelly Bean to dual boot off the card, or do you have to run it internally?

chipslave 11-22-2012 08:23 AM

Almost bought my boy (4) a Leappad yesterday. Glad I held out. This will do all that and more!

swgfanforlife 11-22-2012 08:24 AM

Ty so much +rep to you

sallii3 11-22-2012 08:27 AM

So am I right to say that this is a better deal than the nook simple touch for 39.99 new? Thats the black friday deal from sears. Originally I wanted a ereader but for $20 I see I can do tons more with this deal.

Romansviii28 11-22-2012 08:30 AM

Very good deal, if I didn't already have multiple 7 inch Android tablets (including the Nexus 7) I'd buy one.

tist006 11-22-2012 08:32 AM

Can tablets like this one download apps from the store?

SoCalTiger68 11-22-2012 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tist006 (Post 55107062)
Can tablets like this one download apps from the store?

You have to root it.

mrstangblb 11-22-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sallii3 (Post 55106726)
So am I right to say that this is a better deal than the nook simple touch for 39.99 new? Thats the black friday deal from sears. Originally I wanted a ereader but for $20 I see I can do tons more with this deal.

Absolutely. The color screens on these alone are worth the money!

Romansviii28 11-22-2012 08:36 AM

Quote:

That's a great deal, IMO. I own the Nook Simple Touch and it's a great e-reader. The e-ink e-readers are the best for reading. They don't bother your eyes like LCD devices will if you read long. They're a lot more like reading a regular book. However, the LCD tablets might be best if like a lot of mags or comics, but for reading regular books go with the e-ink devices.

OceanRock 11-22-2012 08:37 AM

thank u!

Romansviii28 11-22-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrstangblb (Post 55107242)

If he is looking for a true e-reader for books, then he should go with an e-ink device. The Nook Color is more of a tablet than e-reader. Regardless, they are both very good deals. I would buy both if I didn't already own the Nook Simple Touch and multiple 7 inch Android tablets (including the Nexus 7).

teixeirarosa 11-22-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

Well, when my first generation Nook broke, BB wouldn't fix it and gave me a Nook Color instead. I use my Nook exclusively for reading and didn't want the LCD screen (get eye strain with too much reading) so I sold it to a family member and got a Nook Simple Touch. I am loving that I can go 2+ months without charging the Touch.

Getting 2 of Nook Colors for my niece and nephew. They will have a great Christmas.

cthomp21 11-22-2012 08:43 AM

Bought 3 for X-mas gifts! Will root it for a full tablet experience!

Romansviii28 11-22-2012 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teixeirarosa (Post 55107674)
Well, when my first generation Nook broke, BB wouldn't fix it and gave me a Nook Color instead. I use my Nook exclusively for reading and didn't want the LCD screen (get eye strain with too much reading) so I sold it to a family member and got a Nook Simple Touch. I am loving that I can go 2+ months without charging the Touch.

Getting 2 of Nook Colors for my niece and nephew. They will have a great Christmas.

Good advice. ;)

Also, I agree that your niece and nephew will enjoy the Nook Color. It is better (once rooted and running full Android) than the 100.00 Android tablet I bought my niece last year. The prices of these 7 inch Android tablets keep getting better. :)

jayhawks 11-22-2012 08:50 AM

Any good deals floating around for Microsd cards.. Anyone tried the samsung microsd cards on the nook??

sallii3 11-22-2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrstangblb (Post 55107242)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romansviii28 (Post 55107286)
That's a great deal, IMO. I own the Nook Simple Touch and it's a great e-reader. The e-ink e-readers are the best for reading. They don't bother your eyes like LCD devices will if you read long. They're a lot more like reading a regular book. However, the LCD tablets might be best if like a lot of mags or comics, but for reading regular books go with the e-ink devices.

thank you! I just bought one right before the deal ended hahahaha.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romansviii28 (Post 55107662)
If he is looking for a true e-reader for books, then he should go with an e-ink device. The Nook Color is more of a tablet than e-reader. Regardless, they are both very good deals. I would buy both if I didn't already own the Nook Simple Touch and multiple 7 inch Android tablets (including the Nexus 7).

Yes, that is a good idea i can do that. However now that i know with the nook color i can make it into a tablet i will probably end up not using it for reading and stick to printed books for reading. until I absolutely can not bare to carry them around. Thank you!!

Happy Thanksgiving Yall

Romansviii28 11-22-2012 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sallii3 (Post 55108336)

Yes, that is a good idea i can do that. However now that i know with the nook color i can make it into a tablet i will probably end up not using it for reading and stick to printed books for reading. until I absolutely can not bare to carry them around. Thank you!!

Happy Thanksgiving Yall

Sure, my pleasure. A blessed thanksgiving to you (and yours) too! :)

johnnyblades 11-22-2012 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romansviii28 (Post 55107662)

Agreed. at these very cheap prices, buy both. I have several tablets and 1 simple touch. I much prefer to read on the simple touch. but I do love all the other things I can do on a tablets. for about 100 bucks, you get a useable tablet and great ereader. Awesome deals

dealpapa 11-22-2012 09:11 AM

imo

nook tablet 16gb $97 from ben is a little better

BoomSchtick 11-22-2012 09:15 AM

What level of video playback does this have when properly rooted? 720p mkv's? 1080p mkv's?

Jane_says 11-22-2012 09:15 AM

If you primarily want an ereader, shouldn't one get a Kindle b/c there are more free books available?

buzz86us 11-22-2012 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoomSchtick (Post 55109606)
What level of video playback does this have when properly rooted? 720p mkv's? 1080p mkv's?

I think 720P would be its limit...

vietsb 11-22-2012 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayhawks (Post 55108130)
Any good deals floating around for Microsd cards.. Anyone tried the samsung microsd cards on the nook??

Right now good deals on SanDisk 8-64GB Ultra MicroSDHC or MicroSDXC at Amazon, B&H, Adorama, Best Buy (shipping kills it). Do a search and if you also want a USB card reader, the B&H deals seem the best for a couple extra bucks esp if you're avoiding tax. Most wikis will recommend the slower SanDisk Class 6 for flashing or running off the uSD card, but I haven't read of issues w/ SanDisk Ultra Class 10's in particular. Just watch out for really cheap off-brand or knock-off uSD cards which may give you troubles even if they claim they are Class 10, etc. Stick w/ a recommended name-brand like SanDisk, purchased from a reputable store.

va7777 11-22-2012 09:23 AM

I got this one

dianacannon89 11-22-2012 09:23 AM

Everyone is making it sound like Rooting is the way to go... I have no idea what it means to root or how to, I assume youtube can show me but do I have to be a computer expert to do it? Will I mess it up if I dont do it right? Is it easy to do? I just want to get this for my son so he can play some angry birds and leave dadys Ipad alone. Can anyone offer any insight.

spankyward 11-22-2012 09:24 AM

Got me two for Christmas gifts.

travfar 11-22-2012 09:25 AM

Wow. They must have gabillions of these.

jayhawks 11-22-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vietsb (Post 55109750)
Right now good deals on SanDisk 8-64GB Ultra MicroSDHC or MicroSDXC at Amazon, B&H, Adorama, Best Buy (shipping kills it). Do a search and if you also want a USB card reader, the B&H deals seem the best for a couple extra bucks esp if you're avoiding tax. Most wikis will recommend the slower SanDisk Class 6 for flashing or running off the uSD card, but I haven't read of issues w/ SanDisk Ultra Class 10's in particular. Just watch out for really cheap off-brand or knock-off uSD cards which may give you troubles even if they claim they are Class 10, etc. Stick w/ a recommended name-brand like SanDisk, purchased from a reputable store.

I rooted about a dozen of these last year at xmas and used class 4 sandisk and all was good.. But just havnt seen many deals on them lately
. Wasnt sure if all these microsd ultras that are listed on SD would be troublesome..

jyjjy777 11-22-2012 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sallii3 (Post 55108336)

Happy Thanksgiving Yall

While an e-ink screen is more ideal for reading I suspect you'll find the screens on these not bad at all for such, even for hours on end, as long as you adjust the brightness and colors to make it easier on the eyes(black background and darkish green text works well for me.) The bigger difference IMO is what lighting conditions they work well in with the color screens not doing well in bright/sun light and the e-ink screens not capable for low light conditions/darkness.

vietsb 11-22-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newsance (Post 55103434)
Ordered three as cheap tablets for family members. Awesome!

Question- If the primary use for this will be a tablet (netflix, web surfing, etc.) should I just plan on rooting these to Jellybean from the get go?

Can anybody comment on which is faster- the stock firmware or newer versions of Android?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GIRay (Post 55103762)
Can it run ICS and Jelly Bean?

Cyanogen Mod 10 (CM10) Jelly Bean is highly recommended over CM9 ICS for the Nook Color since all the dev work shifted to CM10 long ago, with the latest builds being stable and pretty quick.

If you aren't afraid of flashing it, I'd definitely ditch the stock firmware since it unlocks:
  • Bluetooth (very weak range)
  • Overclocking (not available yet, but only a matter of time)
  • Google Play and Amazon App Store

I have both a NC and NT running CM10 and really like the dual-core performance of the NT, but the NC is still acceptable and fact that it has weak Bluetooth for wireless speakers/headphones, keyboard, etc is a nice added benefit. The NT doesn't have Bluetooth but a microphone if you happen to have any need and it actually works properly. At a very cheap price, the NC running CM10 for kids and casual use is a good option if a camera isn't needed. NT is compelling if you want a smoother tablet experience and are more of an enthusiast or power user.

jyjjy777 11-22-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dianacannon89 (Post 55110076)
Everyone is making it sound like Rooting is the way to go... I have no idea what it means to root or how to, I assume youtube can show me but do I have to be a computer expert to do it? Will I mess it up if I dont do it right? Is it easy to do? I just want to get this for my son so he can play some angry birds and leave dadys Ipad alone. Can anyone offer any insight.

I linked a step by step guide on installing the latest version of Android earlier on page 2. It's not particularly hard and quite safe.

dealpapa 11-22-2012 10:01 AM

CyanogenMod releases 10.1 source code (based on Android 4.2), ROMs coming soon

steveh_131 11-22-2012 10:04 AM

looks like they're out of stock

misterdix 11-22-2012 10:06 AM

damn, just missed this.

blueknob 11-22-2012 10:07 AM

This listing has ended.

MasterCrackle 11-22-2012 10:09 AM

Missed it by just a couple of minutes...

SlickyRicky 11-22-2012 10:17 AM

YES IN FOR 4! These are great rooted, my christmas shopping is almost done.

old64mb 11-22-2012 10:23 AM

For those asking about the difference between Color and Tablet, few things even as deal appears to be dead.

Biggest difference is that the Color maxxes out at 480p mkvs, even overclocked. The Tablet can play 720p mkvs. 720p looks stunning on this screen, which is the same on both units.

Tablet is definitely way more responsive when web browsing. Color, even when overclocked, is noticeably laggy.

8 GB version of the Tablet ($79 refurb at Fry's tomorrow) has same 512 MB RAM as Color. 16 GB has 1 GB.

Bluetooth is available on the Color if hacked. No Bluetooth available on Tablet, chip isn't there.

Color mods are complete and very easy to install, along with other hacks like stable overclocking and tablet tweaks. Tablet took a little longer to develop as B&N locked the bootloader. CM7 has been stable for months. CM10 is pretty much there.

ajayeshg 11-22-2012 10:38 AM

Got one. Thanks

pianomansam 11-22-2012 10:39 AM

"Limited quantity available"

Is it back up? I purchased one at 11:51 EST, got my Paypal notification, but nothing from B&N.

vietsb 11-22-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayhawks (Post 55110222)
I rooted about a dozen of these last year at xmas and used class 4 sandisk and all was good.. But just havnt seen many deals on them lately
. Wasnt sure if all these microsd ultras that are listed on SD would be troublesome..

Agreed jayhawks. I use a trusty 16GB Class 4 SanDisk for install to emmc, then plan on using a 32GB Ultra uSDHC as storage. For fun I'll try a flash w/ a new 32GB Ultra when it arrives and will try to remember to post here or PM you as FYI.

tist006 11-22-2012 11:17 AM

Glad I grabbed 2 before the deal is over. My moms been wanting a tablet to play solitaire and other basic games. Just wasn't aware these were rootable until today.

jayhawks 11-22-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vietsb (Post 55114906)
Agreed jayhawks. I use a trusty 16GB Class 4 SanDisk for install to emmc, then plan on using a 32GB Ultra uSDHC as storage. For fun I'll try a flash w/ a new 32GB Ultra when it arrives and will try to remember to post here or PM you as FYI.

I prefer to root BOOT FROM SD.. That way if a family memeber needs to have it worked on, all they have to do is pull the card and ship back to BN..

Bobbie75 11-22-2012 11:34 AM

For everyone considering rooting the nook, just beware if something goes wrong with it you're screwed because it voids the warranty.

Inessence 11-22-2012 07:02 PM

Got one. Will become either my 3rd tab or e-reader. I already have two of each. This one will go in the John. :)

chazzzer 11-22-2012 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inessence (Post 55138942)
Got one. Will become either my 3rd tab or e-reader. I already have two of each. This one will go in the John. :)

TMI. And remind me never to buy a used Nook from you. :nod:

omemnow 11-22-2012 11:47 PM

Bought 2. Can't wait to root this thing. Right now I have no clues how to do it, but will find out soon.

oakfan52 11-23-2012 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old64mb (Post 55112930)
For those asking about the difference between Color and Tablet, few things even as deal appears to be dead.

Biggest difference is that the Color maxxes out at 480p mkvs, even overclocked. The Tablet can play 720p mkvs. 720p looks stunning on this screen, which is the same on both units.

Tablet is definitely way more responsive when web browsing. Color, even when overclocked, is noticeably laggy.

8 GB version of the Tablet ($79 refurb at Fry's tomorrow) has same 512 MB RAM as Color. 16 GB has 1 GB.

Bluetooth is available on the Color if hacked. No Bluetooth available on Tablet, chip isn't there.

Color mods are complete and very easy to install, along with other hacks like stable overclocking and tablet tweaks. Tablet took a little longer to develop as B&N locked the bootloader. CM7 has been stable for months. CM10 is pretty much there.

I agree. I have a nook color I bought refurb last year for 119. Running CM10. IMHO its just to slow. frustrating when your browsing device can't keep up with your internet connection. Its ok for basic tasks but video/browsing the web i'd try out the tablet.

jdixon 11-23-2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobbie75 (Post 55117744)
For everyone considering rooting the nook, just beware if something goes wrong with it you're screwed because it voids the warranty.

Yawn. Well known that dual boot w/ boot from uSD resolves this.

vviiasa 11-24-2012 09:45 PM

any update?

just got one email from ebay(confermation email)

skyline889 11-26-2012 02:11 AM

So when are these actually shipping out? I have not received any notifications since the original confirmation email.

ladnar 11-26-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 (Post 55315990)
So when are these actually shipping out? I have not received any notifications since the original confirmation email.

I haven't received a shipping notification yet either. Last Thanksgiving I bought one for my sister and it shipped the next day. I'm guessing they're just delayed because of large order numbers.

REB07 11-27-2012 09:27 AM

Delivery on or before December 3

Order confirmation received on 11/22/2012 at 6:06 am. No shipping confirmation has yet been received.

I checked original eBay listing regarding shipping. It says:
"Delivery* on or before Monday, December 3, to XXXXX [zip code] per eBay Fast 'n Free.

"* Estimated delivery dates include seller's handling time, and will depend on shipping service selected and receipt of cleared payment. Delivery times may vary, especially during peak periods."

Because of this, I adjusted my expectations on when to receive the Nook Color. Perhaps we all will have the opportunity to practice at least one of the three things that Herman Hesse's Siddhartha can do: "I can pray, I can wait, and I can fast."

Quackers 11-27-2012 04:06 PM

I also received an order confirmation email. My order said delivery was to be on or before Wednesday, November 28, 2012. Not holding my breath at this point...

dreadvirus 11-27-2012 08:36 PM

i got order confirm 1 day after order and estimated delivery's on nov 28, but where's the f'in shippin confirm? hah

edit: got shippin confirm email, will arrive on 29

OceanRock 11-28-2012 04:21 AM

just rec'd a text that my nook shipped!

Audroid 11-28-2012 06:14 AM

I see my Nook Tablet I ordered after I ordered this has shipped and has tracking, but they haven't shipped my Nook Color yet from what I see.

seamill 11-28-2012 08:36 AM

Does Nook color have to be rooted to play MP4's or does it do it out of the box? Most of my vids are this format. Is there a preferred conversion (handbrake?) software in case they dont work?

SilverB18C1 11-28-2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OceanRock (Post 55435518)
just rec'd a text that my nook shipped!

Do you know what state it's shipping out from?

REB07 11-28-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seamill (Post 55441100)
Does Nook color have to be rooted to play MP4's or does it do it out of the box? Most of my vids are this format. Is there a preferred conversion (handbrake?) software in case they dont work?

According to NOOK Color User Guide, the device can play the following types of video files: Adobe Flash, 3gp, 3g2, mp4, m4v, and ogg. The device supports MPEG-4 Simple Profile up to 854x480, H.263 up to 352x288, and H.264 baseline profile up to 854x480.

While waiting for the Nook Color, I converted one of my DVDs to mp4 (848x480) so I can watch it on the Nook Color as soon as it arrives.

Get NOOK Color User Guide here [imagesbn.com]

roddy815 11-28-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverB18C1 (Post 55446268)
Do you know what state it's shipping out from?

I believe the item ships from Nevada.

B&N is getting a ton of negative feedback on ebay the last couple days regarding these refurbs not shipping. I haven't left any, even though I believe they could let us know when they expect to ship.

REB07 11-28-2012 02:32 PM

Order "may be delayed" ... $10 eGift Card for inconvenience plus free shipping upgrade

Just received this from Barnes and Noble:

Dear Valued Customer,

We are writing to you regarding your recent order for the Barnes & Noble Certified Pre-Owned NOOK Color™. We discovered that demand far exceeded our expectations, and that your order may be delayed.

Please be assured that your order is open and in process. We are acquiring additional inventory and have upgraded your order to our fastest shipping method at no additional cost to you.

We are working hard to fulfill you order in the next few days and have enclosed a $10 Barnes & Noble eGift Card for any inconvenience this delay may have caused. We hope that it will come in handy for your Holiday shopping.

Barnes & Noble eGift Card

Gift Certificate Amount: $10.00
Certificate Number: xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Pin: xxxx

If you have any questions about Barnes & Noble eGift Cards, please click on this link for more information: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/gc/...t_card.asp

Thank you for your patronage and we appreciate your patience during this busy time.

Sincerely,
Barnes & Noble

Quackers 11-28-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REB07 (Post 55455654)
Just received this from Barnes and Noble:

Dear Valued Customer,

We are writing to you regarding your recent order for the Barnes & Noble Certified Pre-Owned NOOK Color™. We discovered that demand far exceeded our expectations, and that your order may be delayed.

Please be assured that your order is open and in process. We are acquiring additional inventory and have upgraded your order to our fastest shipping method at no additional cost to you.

We are working hard to fulfill you order in the next few days and have enclosed a $10 Barnes & Noble eGift Card for any inconvenience this delay may have caused. We hope that it will come in handy for your Holiday shopping.

Barnes & Noble eGift Card

Gift Certificate Amount: $10.00
Certificate Number: xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Pin: xxxx

If you have any questions about Barnes & Noble eGift Cards, please click on this link for more information: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/gc/...t_card.asp

Thank you for your patronage and we appreciate your patience during this busy time.

Sincerely,
Barnes & Noble

Did you contact them before receiving this? It seems from the feedback that they are slowly getting some orders out at least but it seems like they are getting more negative feedback for no shipping/information.

It would just be nice to have some sort of update after nearly a week of nothing.

mouseyone 11-28-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

We discovered that demand far exceeded our expectations, and that your order may be delayed.

So.... are we waiting for more Nook Colors to break and be refurbed?

I haven't received anything from B&N beyond the initial eBay confirmation of purchase, either.

seamill 11-28-2012 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quackers (Post 55456504)
Did you contact them before receiving this? It seems from the feedback that they are slowly getting some orders out at least but it seems like they are getting more negative feedback for no shipping/information.

It would just be nice to have some sort of update after nearly a week of nothing.

My item is shown as shipped but no tracking info. I checked my email and I too got the 10.00 gift card credit. I didnt complain to get it.

ladnar 11-28-2012 07:30 PM

Still no shipping e-mail, and I ordered at 1:07am on November 22nd, seven minutes after this was posted.

seancruise 11-28-2012 08:18 PM

Mine was shipped today from NJ.

WideLoadHere 11-29-2012 09:06 AM

12 complaints on their profile page so far today. I don't think anyone has reported getting one yet!

dealpicker12 11-29-2012 09:33 AM

Mine just got delivered this morning. They used UPS next day shipping service which is quite surprising. The delay problem might vary from state to state though.

Audroid 11-29-2012 09:45 AM

My Nook Tablet I ordered for $79 Monday was supposed to be here today, now finally as of 10 minutes ago has tracking info and will be here Tomorrow, looks like Overnight shipping.

My Nook Color, nothing, nada no shipping info and I ordered that the 22nd like everyone else.

Both orders were Ebay. I have yet to receive anything on the Nook Color and have messaged them twice and called them.

Quackers 11-29-2012 10:00 AM

I bet they are never doing this again. :lmao: :headbang:

skyler286 11-29-2012 11:13 AM

Mine shipped yesterday and just received it today. Looks great.

my2k2zx2 11-29-2012 12:18 PM

No update on the one I bought on 11/22.

kulardenu 11-29-2012 03:01 PM

Got mine today too! Any one know where to head for the most up to date info on rooting these? Much of what I googled is over 8mo old.

smiles233 11-29-2012 03:19 PM

to root go to xda developers, i also ordered 2 nook colors and have not gotten any response yet

smiles233 11-29-2012 03:26 PM

looks like people are starting to get them today as more positive feedback is coming in on them

SilverB18C1 11-29-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kulardenu (Post 55499690)
Got mine today too! Any one know where to head for the most up to date info on rooting these? Much of what I googled is over 8mo old.

Mine haven't arrived yet, but I bookmarked this awhile back: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/wiki/...date_Guide

It's what I plan on doing when mine come.

SilverB18C1 11-29-2012 05:28 PM

My order was just updated.

Shipped out today via UPS Next Day Air

REB07 11-29-2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverB18C1 (Post 55504278)
My order was just updated.

Shipped out today via UPS Next Day Air

Me too. Shipping from Newark. New Jersey. Delivery in Wisconsin expected by !0:30 am on Friday.

Mine was ordered at about 6am on November 22.

CINCYCANE 11-29-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Thanks that worked like a charm... Took me about 30 min to make sures that I did it right. Now I need figure out how to soft mod my Wii and then I will be all set. Thanks Again..

skyline889 11-30-2012 03:05 AM

This is bullshit. I still have not received shipping confirmation much less any kind of compensation or apology.

mouseyone 11-30-2012 03:46 AM

Received email shipping notice (it was in my Spam folder) Wed. night. (28th), UPS delivered Thurs Evening (29th).

Charged it up, great resolution, everything seems fine on it except the WiFi... it won't stay connected if I'm at the other end of the house (maybe 50 feet away from modem). My netbook and my laptop on wifi work fine in that area of the house. So.... since I'm going to use this primarily as a reader (looking to buy a 'real' tablet later on for internet, etc.)... do I go thru the hassle of dealing with support and maybe exchanging it? Or is this just a 'quirk' of little wifi tablets?

Audroid 11-30-2012 04:11 AM

Mine finally shipped yesterday, should get my Nook Color and Nook Tablet today!

vviiasa 11-30-2012 10:59 AM

finally got the tracking number, but no 10$ gift card....

kulardenu 11-30-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CINCYCANE (Post 55512692)
Thanks that worked like a charm... Took me about 30 min to make sures that I did it right. Now I need figure out how to soft mod my Wii and then I will be all set. Thanks Again..

Where did you find the files to repartition the nook the link for them was dead?

seancruise 11-30-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CINCYCANE (Post 55512692)

It is not clear to me whether this method permanently installs Android to NC or whether this is dual boot and one has an option to choose which to run: Stock Firmware or Android. any idea? Thanks.

kulardenu 11-30-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seancruise (Post 55533206)
It is not clear to me whether this method permanently installs Android to NC or whether this is dual boot and one has an option to choose which to run: Stock Firmware or Android. any idea? Thanks.

That one replaces the nook with Android CM10 Jellybean. U void the warranty. But the links point to a site that hosts some files and the site looks to be down right now so it's no use to try any of it.

kulardenu 11-30-2012 12:14 PM

My nook came with version 1.4.2 I tried to load a mSD card with a triple booter of CM7/CM9 that kept Nook software intact but no luck with that, neither boot up would fully load.

SilverB18C1 11-30-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverB18C1 (Post 55504028)
Mine haven't arrived yet, but I bookmarked this awhile back: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/wiki/...date_Guide

It's what I plan on doing when mine come.

My 2 came today. I ended up using this guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/s...?t=1030227

I've got one with CM7.2 and the other with the latest CM10 nightly

Super easy to do using the xda guide

hoeg 11-30-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverB18C1 (Post 55534994)
My 2 came today. I ended up using this guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/s...?t=1030227

So if you did 7.2 and 10, have you played around with them? Which is better for the Nook Color? Speed/Responsiveness/etc. Thanks.

kulardenu 11-30-2012 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverB18C1 (Post 55534994)

I take it you did not re partition the nook? The repartition newer style nooks links [xda-developers.com] there point to the same dead ones. So still wondering about that point? FYI I have rooted my TP and chinese pads before.

SilverB18C1 11-30-2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kulardenu (Post 55535964)
I take it you did not re partition the nook? The repartition newer style nooks links [xda-developers.com] there point to the same dead ones. So still wondering about that point? FYI I have rooted my TP and chinese pads before.

I did not repartition. Leaving it as is gives me 4.90GB for apps, and 1GB for media. I plan on using a microSD card for media/music/etc

hoeg 11-30-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverB18C1 (Post 55536802)
I did not repartition. Leaving it as is gives me 4.90GB for apps, and 1GB for media. I plan on using a microSD card for media/music/etc

This suits me better as well. The microSD card will handle the media and the internal will handle the apps. But should I go with CM7.2 or CM10?

SilverB18C1 11-30-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoeg (Post 55538124)
This suits me better as well. The microSD card will handle the media and the internal will handle the apps. But should I go with CM7.2 or CM10?

I'm going with CM10. There's some stuttering navigating through menus, and exiting out of apps. But overall I think it will make a good daily driver. And It should only get better as they continue to work on it.

The few games I tried on it(Angry Birds:Star Wars, Temple Run and Hill Climb) all play perfectly fine.

hoeg 11-30-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverB18C1 (Post 55540496)
I'm going with CM10. There's some stuttering navigating through menus, and exiting out of apps. But overall I think it will make a good daily driver. And It should only get better as they continue to work on it.

The few games I tried on it(Angry Birds:Star Wars, Temple Run and Hill Climb) all play perfectly fine.

Thanks!

mitan 11-30-2012 04:55 PM

Got the message from Barnes and Noble 2 days ago about the delay with the $10 gift card, now got a shipping notice today. Pretty happy with the purchase!

Quackers 11-30-2012 05:39 PM

Finally received tracking information. Says it is to be here on Monday! I haven't gotten the $10 gift card like others have though. Oh well. Just glad it finally shipped.

smiles233 11-30-2012 07:36 PM

yeah today i finally got a shipping number

seancruise 11-30-2012 08:10 PM

installed CM10 on microsd using instructions from here:http://forum.xda-developers.com/s...?t=1941858
pretty easy. Anyone knows if there would be any performance difference of using MicroSD for boot vs. rooting the nook itself? I like it so far. I'd give it a 8 out of 10. Slow in responding and stuttering some times. Maybe I was expecting too much out of a nook and comparing it to my iphones and ipad. I know i'm probably comparing apples and oranges in terms of cost of these devices, but i'm just talking in terms of overall experience. Anyway, i guess, I shouldn't complain about 'almost' a tablet for $60.

skyline889 11-30-2012 11:48 PM

Mine was shipped out today via Next Day Air, only after I filed a complaint. No $10 gift card. Still pretty pissed.

thecoop 12-01-2012 06:07 AM

December 1, still have not received it, got confirm saying shipped on 28th but no $10 cert either. I want to be able to boot from the SD and leave the internal rom alone. Thus taking out card allowing me to use it like a regular nook color. Turn off, put in microSD card, turn on and boot into CM10 Jellybean. Which instructions do I follow to do this. Thanks in advance.

roddy815 12-01-2012 08:35 AM

I received my nook this morning. It was shipped Next Day Air on the 30th with a delivery scheduled for Monday. I was surprised when UPS delivered today (Saturday).

my2k2zx2 12-01-2012 09:45 AM

UPS just dropped ours off. Looks brand new, even in a retail box.

hoeg 12-01-2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecoop (Post 55561498)
December 1, still have not received it, got confirm saying shipped on 28th but no $10 cert either. I want to be able to boot from the SD and leave the internal rom alone. Thus taking out card allowing me to use it like a regular nook color. Turn off, put in microSD card, turn on and boot into CM10 Jellybean. Which instructions do I follow to do this. Thanks in advance.

Use the link that seancruise posted:

Quote:

Originally Posted by seancruise (Post 55550472)
installed CM10 on microsd using instructions from here:http://forum.xda-developers.com/s...?t=1941858
pretty easy. Anyone knows if there would be any performance difference of using MicroSD for boot vs. rooting the nook itself? I like it so far. I'd give it a 8 out of 10. Slow in responding and stuttering some times. Maybe I was expecting too much out of a nook and comparing it to my iphones and ipad. I know i'm probably comparing apples and oranges in terms of cost of these devices, but i'm just talking in terms of overall experience. Anyway, i guess, I shouldn't complain about 'almost' a tablet for $60.

skyline889 12-01-2012 12:58 PM

I got mine today as well. Did your Nooks also say "certified pre-owned?"

newsance 12-01-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoeg (Post 55535804)
So if you did 7.2 and 10, have you played around with them? Which is better for the Nook Color? Speed/Responsiveness/etc. Thanks.

I bought three of these to root and give to relatives as their first tablet. I've never had a nook color before, and I've never rooted an android device before, although I reasonably technically proficient. I have a Nexus 7 (Jellybean) and a Droid X (Gingerbread), so I am familiar with both Android versions.

I used the directions in the link posted on page 2, and they were SIMPLE and easy. The fact that the Nook will boot from the SD card really makes this seem like it isn't even rooting. It took my about an hour to set up the SD card, and about 10 minutes to root each Nook. The only thing I would add to the instructions is make sure you install the version of Google applications that matches the android version or you will run into serious problems.

My primary concern was that whatever I installed needed to be stable. People have repeatedly said that the CM10 builds were stable, but in my personal experience they were not stable at all.

When I installed the latest 11/30 nightly, the keyboard service was inoperative- it constantly crashed, restarted, and crashed again. Same with search. Having a tablet with no on screen keyboard makes it pretty worthless. I wiped it and reinstalled with the same result.

I am sure had I played with CM10 long enough, I could have either figured out what the problem was, or walked backwards through the nightly builds until I found one that was more solid, but after seeing that there were still quite a lot of issues to be worked out, I didn't want to give somebody a christmas present with an Alpha build that they would run into issues with. As of yet there is no "stable" CM10 build, or even a "monthly" release where some stability coding has been done. I wish people luck with getting a CM10 build that works well for them, but its just too new at this point for that to be as sure of a thing as others seem to imply. I'm hearing a lot of talk that indicates they may have a "stable" build by Christmas- if so, I will give it another shot.

I've installed CM 7.2, the latest "stable" version. It seems to run very smooth and stable. I downloaded netflix and angry birds to test performance, and didn't run into any stutters or problems- it has a very good feel.

I certainly like the look and layout of Jelly Bean over Gingerbread, and will be closely watching the progress of CM10- I expect once they get a stable build completed, I will install Jelly Bean on these.

But, if you are looking for a version to install and not have to worry about, at this moment, I would install CM7.2

Hotandfree 12-01-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newsance (Post 55571770)
I bought three of these to root and give to relatives as their first tablet. I've never had a nook color before, and I've never rooted an android device before, although I reasonably technically proficient. I have a Nexus 7 (Jellybean) and a Droid X (Gingerbread), so I am familiar with both Android versions.

When I installed the latest 11/30 nightly, the keyboard service was inoperative- it constantly crashed, restarted, and crashed again. Same with search. Having a tablet with no on screen keyboard makes it pretty worthless. I wiped it and reinstalled with the same result.

I am sure had I played with CM10 long enough, I could have either figured out what the problem was, or walked backwards through the nightly builds until I found one that was more solid, but after seeing that there were still quite a lot of issues to be worked out, I didn't want to give somebody a christmas present with an Alpha build that they would run into issues with. As of yet there is no "stable" CM10 build, or even a "monthly" release where some stability coding has been done. I wish people luck with getting a CM10 build that works well for them, but its just too new at this point for that to be as sure of a thing as others seem to imply. I'm hearing a lot of talk that indicates they may have a "stable" build by Christmas- if so, I will give it another shot.

I've installed CM 7.2, the latest "stable" version. It seems to run very smooth and stable. I downloaded netflix and angry birds to test performance, and didn't run into any stutters or problems- it has a very good feel.

But, if you are looking for a version to install and not have to worry about, at this moment, I would install CM7.2

I installed CM10 and gapps 11/30 and had the same keyboard error. Re-installed with older gapps and it works fine. I need to test out CM7.2

kulardenu 12-01-2012 04:08 PM

I did the CM7/CM10 dual boot SD card and got nowhere. Pretty much would boot into then google framework would crash along with set up wizard. Finally just rooted the Nook (bye warranty) to the CM7.2 and works great, good feel runs well. Overall for the price a great tablet. Feels more like my HP Touchpad than any of the Chinese cheapies in this price range. Actually has made me lose my Nexus 7 fever until the price comes wayyyy down... After rooting here are some good suggestions for apps to add to your NC in this thread. [xda-developers.com]

newsance 12-01-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kulardenu (Post 55574126)
I did the CM7/CM10 dual boot SD card and got nowhere. Pretty much would boot into then google framework would crash along with set up wizard. Finally just rooted the Nook (bye warranty) to the CM7.2 and works great, good feel runs well. Overall for the price a great tablet. Feels more like my HP Touchpad than any of the Chinese cheapies in this price range. Actually has made me lose my Nexus 7 fever until the price comes wayyyy down... After rooting here are some good suggestions for apps to add to your NC in this thread. [xda-developers.com]

As somebody that owns a Nexus 7, I can say that if this deal was around when I got my N7, I would have gone this route. The build quality on the tablet is very nice, and I have played around with the rooted nook enough to know that the responsiveness for what I use my tablet for most (netflix, google currents, and web browsing) is just fine.

Plus, the Nook has an SD card port.

Plus, the Nook doesn't have the annoying issue where it slows to a crawl when you have less than 3GB storage free.

Don't get me wrong- the performance of the Nexus is great, and so is getting the most up to date android versions the instant they are released, but for $50 and change, the Nook is GREAT.

skyline889 12-01-2012 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newsance (Post 55571770)

I used the directions in the link posted on page 2, and they were SIMPLE and easy. The fact that the Nook will boot from the SD card really makes this seem like it isn't even rooting. It took my about an hour to set up the SD card, and about 10 minutes to root each Nook. The only thing I would add to the instructions is make sure you install the version of Google applications that matches the android version or you will run into serious problems.

My primary concern was that whatever I installed needed to be stable. People have repeatedly said that the CM10 builds were stable, but in my personal experience they were not stable at all.

I certainly like the look and layout of Jelly Bean over Gingerbread, and will be closely watching the progress of CM10- I expect once they get a stable build completed, I will install Jelly Bean on these.

I had the same thing happen to me. I tried installing the 12/1 CM10 Nightly with the 11/30 JB GAPPS, and I got the keyboard malfunction. Same thing happened with the 10/11 JB GAPPS.

The combo that worked for me was the 11/25 Nightly with the 7/26 JB GAPPS, which can be found elsewhere online. (I already had it from a CM10 install on my P509)

What I did: Burned the image to the SD card, and copied over the 11/25 Nightly to the SD card, skipping the GAPPS install for now. Then I installed the Nightly and rebooted. Next up, I copied the 7/26 GAPPS to the SD card, installed, and rebooted. Added my Google account after the reboot, and everything has been working fine since.

kulardenu 12-02-2012 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 (Post 55585270)
I had the same thing happen to me. I tried installing the 12/1 CM10 Nightly with the 11/30 JB GAPPS, and I got the keyboard malfunction. Same thing happened with the 10/11 JB GAPPS.

The combo that worked for me was the 11/25 Nightly with the 7/26 JB GAPPS, which can be found elsewhere online. (I already had it from a CM10 install on my P509)

What I did: Burned the image to the SD card, and copied over the 11/25 Nightly to the SD card, skipping the GAPPS install for now. Then I installed the Nightly and rebooted. Next up, I copied the 7/26 GAPPS to the SD card, installed, and rebooted. Added my Google account after the reboot, and everything has been working fine since.

Thanx for the info! Did you do a SD card dual boot or just straight up root? Might try this on one of them.

ladnar 12-02-2012 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 (Post 55569910)
I got mine today as well. Did your Nooks also say "certified pre-owned?"

Mine looks like a brand new nook. NC's I've bought in the past have a sticker saying "certified pre-owned." Maybe they ran out of refurbs, and rather than lose future customers, they sent us new ones?

my2k2zx2 12-02-2012 09:52 AM

Mine had the certified pre-owned sticker. Probably just a return since everything looked brand new. Couldnt find any signs of use, not even a tiny scratch anywhere.

skyline889 12-02-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kulardenu (Post 55587338)
Thanx for the info! Did you do a SD card dual boot or just straight up root? Might try this on one of them.

I'm dual booting using the SD card.

kulardenu 12-02-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 (Post 55595084)
I'm dual booting using the SD card.

So let me get this you did the SD CM7/CM10 boot from SD? Did you load into CM7 2.2 then add the CM10 and later the GAPPSJB? I had my problems doing thatas originally posted but did used a 11/30 nightly on the CM10 and installed both with GAPPS at the same time w/o any reboot.

skyline889 12-02-2012 11:19 AM

I didn't install CM7, I installed CM10 only.

kulardenu 12-02-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 (Post 55595686)
I didn't install CM7, I installed CM10 only.

Ok what dual boot flash did U use. I tried this one from here [xda-developers.com]. This had a CWflash for the triple boot and then a updater to flash to do at the end after the CM10 install' >

frank10 12-03-2012 09:25 AM

I'm having the keyboard issues with CM10 12/1 build - what does CM10 have that CM7 doesn't?

kulardenu 12-04-2012 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frank10 (Post 55625162)
I'm having the keyboard issues with CM10 12/1 build - what does CM10 have that CM7 doesn't?

More bugs, less speed and swipe off apps...

frank10 12-04-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kulardenu (Post 55660648)
More bugs, less speed and swipe off apps...

ok, i tried downgrading and got a bunch of errors trying to run the downgraded installations. is there a guide to downgrading from cm10 to cm7?

kulardenu 12-04-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frank10 (Post 55678778)
ok, i tried downgrading and got a bunch of errors trying to run the downgraded installations. is there a guide to downgrading from cm10 to cm7?

If you just want Android CM7 (voids warranty) and NOT one that just boots and runs off the SD crd. It seems to run better than a SD booter where you keep the Nook software.

I used these instructions here [xda-developers.com] paying attention to only downloading the files for the CM7.

One thing to note I had better luck using and external USB SD card reader to flash and copy the files over to the microSD. The ones I tried flashing direct from my internal card reader on my PC were questionable.

The thing to remember is you have four files I put the links here to make it simpler.

1. the CWM image file [tinyw.in] that you unzip and burn to the micro SD crd using win32diskimager (free) [launchpad.net]

3. The Google Apps file [goo-inside.me] that you copy to SD card leaving it as a zip file.

4. The CWM updater [techerrata.com] that you copy to SD card leaving it as a zip file.

Then follow the instructions from the guide:

Quote:

Once your sdcard is done, copy all those files to the sdcard - DO NOT unzip them
Power off your nook. Put the sdcard in, and power on, the nook will boot from sdcard into TWRP or clockworkmod depeding on which you used. TWRP is touch based and easy to use. Navigate in CWM using the vol up/down keys, N button to accept, power button to go back.
Optional: At this point if you want to make a backup of your current EMMC rom (stock or whatever else you're running) you can. Just go to backup.
Go back and navigate to Install .zip from sdcard/Choose .zip
Flash the files in this order:
1. cm .zip
2. gapps
3. Clockworkmod updater (eyeballer)

Once you've flashed the files; in the clockworkmod main menu select "wipe data/factory reset" or in TWRP choose factory reset from the wipe menu.
Go back to the main menu, remove the sdcard
Format the sdcard in your computer as fat32 (or use another sdcard) and put it back in the nook and then press reboot system. (CM7 requires the use of an sdcard for storage - thanks pmilford for the tip)
Once you boot into CM7/10, you'll be presented with a welcome screen and you can add your google acct. You need to have wifi access here (obviously..) so hit menu on the status bar and you can set up wifi.

DONE!

frank10 12-04-2012 04:14 PM

I've got it working great now. I ended up re-installing the stock firmware and then following the guide to install cm7 from stock. for some reason, i couldn't properly get the cm7 installed with cm10 already installed.

i also registered the device using the stock firmware, which I had not done previously.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kulardenu (Post 55681740)

Then follow the instructions from the guide:

kulardenu 12-04-2012 06:04 PM

I finally got a CM10 to load up and so far not impressed with performance at all. CM7 2.2 makes this a great tablet Jelly Bean... Meh

kulardenu 12-05-2012 08:21 PM

Got 3 of these today from the $69 buy.com deal and these are new and not refurbished or cert previously owned. Sweet!

slick5dealer 12-05-2012 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kulardenu (Post 55733120)
Got 3 of these today from the $69 buy.com deal and these are new and not refurbished or cert previously owned. Sweet!

Where did you see that deal? I couldn't find any deal for $69 new nook color. TIA

kulardenu 12-06-2012 09:04 AM

It was on slick deals posted a few days after the $59 eBay offer.

frank10 12-06-2012 09:37 AM

so, how do you get non DRMd epup ebooks onto this?

turingm 12-06-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slick5dealer (Post 55738220)
Where did you see that deal? I couldn't find any deal for $69 new nook color. TIA

The deal is long dead by now (http://slickdeals.net/f/5583036-Barnes-and-Noble-NOOK-Color-Refurbished-70). The deal claimed that the devices were refurbished, but so far, everyone who's received one has said there aren't any indications that they aren't new.

skyline889 12-07-2012 02:56 PM

Quality control on these is spotty, mine died in two days. Good news is that they let you exchange locally, and that the 12/06 nightly and the 10/11 GAPPS finally seem to be working well.

thecoop 12-08-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frank10 (Post 55749360)
so, how do you get non DRMd epup ebooks onto this?

plug the USB cord into computer, wait for it to recognize the Nook and copy the books to the My Files/Book directory.

This is what I did. I used calibre to convert my mobi files to epub and then copied them directly to the nook, works easy.

I also used a 16GB micro SD card and installed CM10 on it. Truthfully not impressed with it. I prefer a laptop. So I will use this for reading books and watching an occasional movie when and if I want to convert movie to MP4.

Quote:

Originally Posted by turingm (Post 55751138)
The deal is long dead by now (http://slickdeals.net/f/5583036-Barnes-and-Noble-NOOK-Color-Refurbished-70). The deal claimed that the devices were refurbished, but so far, everyone who's received one has said there aren't any indications that they aren't new.

mine had a refurbished sticker on the flap that you had to cut to remove the nook but once inside, looks brand new to me.

frugirl 12-22-2012 12:59 PM

The one I got looks new. There is no refurb sticker on it or the box. Does this mean it's new? All other indications make it appear to be new.

TnTWalter 12-26-2012 03:44 PM

ok...so i'm going NUTS trying to root...

i get everything on sd card and when i put it in and boot up the NC it acts as if nothing new...

version 1.4.3 which seems to be a problem...

anyone have a workaround? i have searched and searched....

tried formatting sd card while in nook...

thanks.

Trish

mouseyone 01-08-2013 06:24 PM

Ordered mine Nov. 22. Hardly had time to use it (due to holidays and such). It was a refurb, Never rooted it. It bricked today. Won't power up.

Never held a charge for long anyway. Wouldn't stay connected to internet if further than 10 feet from my modem (laptops and netbooks all stay connected just fine even when all the way at the other end of the house). Last time I buy a refurb electronic item.... :(

frank10 01-09-2013 05:02 AM

Mine has been working great. I use it all the time.

dcs693 01-09-2013 10:11 AM

Mine has been working great too. I tried using CM10 on it, but it was extremely unstable. I'm using CM 7.2 and it's like a rock. Very fast, stable, and just works. Only one strange this is that upon wake, sometimes wifi takes up to 30 seconds to wake and connect. But for $60 I'm OK with that.

frank10 01-09-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcs693 (Post 56734388)
Mine has been working great too. I tried using CM10 on it, but it was extremely unstable. I'm using CM 7.2 and it's like a rock. Very fast, stable, and just works. Only one strange this is that upon wake, sometimes wifi takes up to 30 seconds to wake and connect. But for $60 I'm OK with that.

same here. I tried CM10 and went to CM 7.2. Everything works great. I stream movies, read books, browse the web, play music with it,
I'm actually starting to use it more than my ipad.

dcs693 01-09-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frank10 (Post 56734618)
same here. I tried CM10 and went to CM 7.2. Everything works great. I stream movies, read books, browse the web, play music with it,
I'm actually starting to use it more than my ipad.

Cool. I have an iPad3 (retina) which is much sharper and faster, so it's still my go-to device for reading and browsing. The Nook Color I bring on my commute for reading, and the occasional game. It's much lighter and I don't stress over potentially having a $60 device stolen from me.