Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Deal Talk (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Garmin nuvi 50 Portable 5" GPS Bundle with Bonus Dash Mount $69 + Free In-Store Pick Up (http://slickdeals.net/e/5639274-garmin-nuvi-50-portable-5-gps-bundle-with-bonus-dash-mount-69-free-in-store-pick-up)

powerfuldoppler 12-04-2012 04:44 AM

Garmin nuvi 50 Portable 5" GPS Bundle with Bonus Dash Mount $69 + Free In-Store Pick Up

2 Attachment(s)
Walmart has the Garmin nuvi 50 5" Portable GPS Bundle w/ Bonus Dash Mount for $69 w/free shipping.

Link [walmart.com]

brisar 12-04-2012 04:44 AM

Garmin nuvi 50 Portable 5" GPS Bundle with Bonus Dash Mount $69 + Free In-Store Pick Up

1 Attachment(s)
UPDATE: Price is now $74

Walmart.com has Garmin nuvi 50 Portable 5" GPS + Bonus Dash Mount for $69 with free in-store pick up. Thanks powerfuldoppler
Note: This model does not include Lifetime Maps or traffic.

wikipost 12-04-2012 04:44 AM

This post can and should be edited by users like you :)

TomTom START 50M 5" Portable GPS & Bonus Accessory (with lifetime maps) for $10 more
http://www.walmart.com/ip/TomTom-...y/22255083

signetv 12-04-2012 05:36 AM

Good deal. Too bad it's not LM :)

Buckeyefan 1 12-04-2012 05:39 AM

I've got the LM version and it's a nice GPS. Fast to lock, big screen, and gets the routes right. Having a 5" with split screen is a nice upgrade from the smaller previous Garmins.

auctionhugh 12-04-2012 05:39 AM

Extremely good price on this.

bobma 12-04-2012 05:56 AM

do you get one free map update when you first get it?

lantzuh 12-04-2012 06:08 AM

can someone explain what the difference between LM and this?

this version has the newest updates for a year at least??

fyu 12-04-2012 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lantzuh (Post 55663716)

LM means Lifetime Maps

i think you get 3 map updates for this? which is like a year.

fdeeznutz 12-04-2012 06:14 AM

Nice price for the 50.
I purchased a 40 earlier this year and 89.99 was the cheapest I could find.
Thanks for the heads up op!

fx1 12-04-2012 06:18 AM

Quote:

Get the newest maps for your nüvi, dēzl or zūmo

Get the newest maps available and navigate with confidence with our nüMaps Guarantee. Simply connect your new Garmin nüvi, dēzl or zūmo to your computer and visit www.garmin.com/mapupdates within 90 days of first acquiring satellites while driving with your device and you'll be able to see if a free map update is available. With our nüMaps Guarantee, you'll be up-to-date when you hit the road

https://my.garmin.com/maps/nuMaps.htm

dealsdyker 12-04-2012 06:30 AM

Nice GPS but I will never get one with LM again. Ever. My 4 and 7 year old Garmin's all work great yet with no issues except old maps. Well worth the added (small) $$ for LM on a Garmin.

inoodles 12-04-2012 06:32 AM

LM means Lifetime Maps. Your allow to update the maps (if available for download) 3 times a year.

grueber 12-04-2012 06:34 AM

The map updates are very expensive if purchased separately. I would stick with the LM models.

defiantroa 12-04-2012 06:35 AM

This GPS is one year old. I bought it last year at a discount at Staples.

My GPS screen broke because apparently it can not handle simple screen press and the glass crack.

k000 12-04-2012 06:37 AM

I also would not buy without Lifetime maps... or you will be loking at buying another gps or maps soon..

kim1982 12-04-2012 06:39 AM

nice find

kim1982 12-04-2012 06:41 AM

Wonder what the best deal is. on a LM Gps. My car decided to chew my cord ( I taped it). I currently own a xxl tomtom. Not sure which version. But I have to reset it alot. Problems-screen turns blue, and half the time it won't power on- without a reset.

cautious1 12-04-2012 06:41 AM

I don't think this has Traffic updates. This is kind of a deal breaker for me especially if I'm going to dish out for a dedicated device

I love slickdeals. Sorry for this useless post but i really love this site. I have to find a way to manage the alerts and not look to my phone everytime there's an update.

lightsout565 12-04-2012 06:46 AM

Don't really see the point of buying one WITH lifetime maps.

Difference in price is ~$30 to get the LM one. I've had my previous Garmin for about 5 years and have never updated the maps. Still get's me where I'm going perfectly. And when I can get an entirely new and bigger unit for only $70, why spend extra to get lifetime maps. That's my 2 cents.

pschoultz 12-04-2012 06:50 AM

For comparison, the Lifetime Maps (LM) version is 100 on Amazon. 30 bucks more and no dash mount, but no tax for many people... Depends on how long you want to use this I guess.... http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-5-In...B0057OCDQS

pobreDiablo 12-04-2012 06:51 AM

I've owned 4-5 GPS's and have never once actually updated my maps on them. Not that I haven't found issues with their maps, but I tend to get used to what their limitations are and just deal with them. Not to knock the value of map updates, but I just never get around to doing them anyway so it's nice to not pay for them in the meantime.

nova_gts 12-04-2012 06:53 AM

In for 1.

CrazyBoys 12-04-2012 06:53 AM

Can I use my old Traffic Charger and get the traffic update on this model?

jshriganesh 12-04-2012 06:56 AM

Good deal but not LMT

z9z91 12-04-2012 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by defiantroa (Post 55664478)

My GPS screen broke because apparently it can not handle simple screen press and the glass crack.

Do you press the screen with a hammer? :eek:

fyu 12-04-2012 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyBoys (Post 55664982)
Can I use my old Traffic Charger and get the traffic update on this model?

traffic is not possible with this model.

blimey85 12-04-2012 07:20 AM

In for one. I don't need the traffic or map updates so this is perfect and you can't beat a 5" Garmin for only $69.

dmyh 12-04-2012 07:22 AM

this is a good price for a decent gps. i'm sure the lack of LM wont be an issue for someone like me, who lives with a $50 range gps for a year or two before finding the next $50 gps. My last SD gps was the tom tom from target for $35. i've had that for 18months and never any issues with outdated maps. this nuvi 50 will be my next gps for the next 2 yrs!

iCouldCareLess 12-04-2012 07:29 AM

Staples had this for $100 - $15 with a coupon on Black Friday weekend for the LM version. I think that was better than this deal, but this is ok too.

grueber 12-04-2012 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by defiantroa (Post 55664478)

Submit a warranty claim to garmin. My unit crapped out because the touch screen would no longer respond. You have to pay shipping to garmin; they ship back for free. Gave me another unit that works.

dealsifter 12-04-2012 07:33 AM

Do these tend to have the most recent maps installed on them, or are they already outdated a couple years?

Auzivision 12-04-2012 07:36 AM

By the time the maps are out of date, so is the technology. I prefer to get a new one every couple years and never update the maps. Many of the roads I travel are older than me and I'm no spring chicken.

Time for an upgrade... thanks OP!

spicytofu 12-04-2012 07:38 AM

Soooo this is the same as the BF deal? People waited in line for this in the cold and now you can just buy it shipped to your door? This is why I call BF a BSday.

pschoultz 12-04-2012 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dealsifter (Post 55666266)
Do these tend to have the most recent maps installed on them, or are they already outdated a couple years?

you get 1 free update when you buy it, so whatever the most up to date is when you register. Someone mentioned this in an earlier post if you want more info.

defiantroa 12-04-2012 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z9z91 (Post 55665484)
Do you press the screen with a hammer? :eek:

Answering your question with another question. Do you like watching cartoons?

nabwong 12-04-2012 07:50 AM

In a surprising development, my garmin got an address wrong this weekend. Here's the funny part, my iphone 5 apple maps got it right. LOL.

SL 12-04-2012 07:52 AM

I believe the LM version went down as low as $89 on Amazon.

phil321 12-04-2012 07:53 AM

From my experience, if you travel to or through a strange and big city often, an updated map is a must.
When I used an outdated map GPS, sometime it told me "Turn right into M street" when around me, there was no M street. Sometime, the map shows you there is no intersection ahead but there is on infront of you.
Of course, you can guess it from the map on the screen, or go whatever direction, the GPS will find another way to get you to your destination, but when I travel, the kids are hungry, the streets are busy, I found that it worth to spend some more $ to get a safer and happier trip.
Hope this help someone,

Scott586 12-04-2012 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jshriganesh (Post 55665054)
Good deal but not LMT

:secret:It's already well established (10+ posts) that this unit does not have LM or any traffic capabilities. Learn to read :bonk:

I will agree with others that while LM a nice bonus, I have found that as long as you update it for free when you first purchase it, it will serve you well for 2+ years (likely much longer). Not a big deal. Nice unit for a nice price. Repped

pugpugdoggy 12-04-2012 08:13 AM

just picked up 2, makes for great gifts for my parents and brother! much safer than constantly looking at the phone! thanks!!

chunli 12-04-2012 08:15 AM

LM and map updates are overrated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugpugdoggy (Post 55667562)
just picked up 2, makes for great gifts for my parents and brother! much safer than constantly looking at the phone! thanks!!

how is this different from looking at a phone? you still have to look at this too

Chizzness 12-04-2012 08:25 AM

$69 for a 5" GPS IMO is perfect( why spend $30 for update , most roads are not going anywhere anyways ) I would rather save the $30 now and use it towards a new model in a few years from now when they may have new technology not available on a gps now and prob more features and slimmer units

As a side note i had the Nuvi 350 it worked great for years until I tried to do an update and it never worked again

I got this last week for $69 w/o the dash mount .....emailed walmart to see if they will send me one

Half-Joey 12-04-2012 08:33 AM

Is there a way to get older map updates for free?

For instance if Oct 2012 was the latest update from Garmin for $80, then the Oct 2011 update would be free from Garmin or another source.

I only ask because I believe Navigon use to do something like that.

chener 12-04-2012 08:39 AM

Quick question- when would one choose to get a dedicated GPS like this vs. using something like a Android smartphone that has navigation and lifetime maps and traffic already built in?

HollyGolightly 12-04-2012 08:50 AM

Thank you.. I've been wanting a new GPS with a larger screen.. I have lifetime maps on my old GPS and never used it.. Thanks, OP!!

HollyGolightly 12-04-2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chener (Post 55668570)
Quick question- when would one choose to get a dedicated GPS like this vs. using something like a Android smartphone that has navigation and lifetime maps and traffic already built in?

I just think a GPS is easier to use when I am alone in the car.. Personal preference, I guess..

I like having a GPS to use, even though my cellphone has come in handy many times when I didn't have my GPS in my car.. :dontknow:

nfc 12-04-2012 09:05 AM

The maps updates are more for the POI (Points of Interest) rather than road changes. Sometimes you'll get updated speed limits or new routes but I think the POI update provides better value.

I purchased the LM when it was $89 from BuyDig

pugpugdoggy 12-04-2012 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chunli (Post 55667648)
LM and map updates are overrated.

how is this different from looking at a phone? you still have to look at this too

Having the GPS mounted right in front of you sure seems safer than holding your phone with 1 hand or continuously looking down at it. Then of course, I can go get myself a phone dock, but that means I can't read my incoming texts or pick up calls, which I'm not supposed to do anyways. Just leave me alone with my GPS!! :bounce:

kenbuzz 12-04-2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SL (Post 55666832)

According to Camel^3, the lowest Amazon price was $99 in Nov 2011. In the past 6 months its never been lower than $118. The current $99.99 at Amazon is a Very Good Price for the 50LM model.

Can't post a direct link, but search B0057OCDQS (the Amazon product ID) over at Camel Camel Camel to see the historical pricing.

mikenmike0001 12-04-2012 10:50 AM

you should get LM and LT, it pays for itself over time. Where I am, there's construction going on every few months somewhere in the area.

auctionhugh 12-04-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sevology (Post 55666126)
Staples had this for $100 - $15 with a coupon on Black Friday weekend for the LM version. I think that was better than this deal, but this is ok too.

I did that deal and got it for $75 using a $25 coupon I had. This is as good a deal though because if you search "free garmin map updates" or better "haklabs garmin" and you are at all familiar with downloading files and following directions, you can update your garmin for free every year. Though for $5 more I guess it is worth it for the LM.

Now the traffic is useless for me where I live, only a couple highways and no real traffic issues, but in any big city it is SOO useful.

dean1112 12-04-2012 11:08 AM

welp i must say this is a good deal and gps and maps are my specialty. i think i have forgotten more than most people know about gps. lol anyway whoever said the maps are not that big an issue with a gps is right on. streets and points of interest dont really change that much. just my 2cents

carbonfiber 12-04-2012 11:12 AM

good price if you're giving it to someone for xmas gift, but to keep for self i'd want LM

shjaythi 12-04-2012 11:21 AM

Phone Dock - Can't risk $500 smart phone getting lose and crashing on the dashboard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugpugdoggy (Post 55670288)
Having the GPS mounted right in front of you sure seems safer than holding your phone with 1 hand or continuously looking down at it. Then of course, I can go get myself a phone dock, but that means I can't read my incoming texts or pick up calls, which I'm not supposed to do anyways. Just leave me alone with my GPS!! :bounce:

temporalshadows 12-04-2012 11:44 AM

Was hoping this deal would be live again. My dad will like this. Thanks!

aunghtain 12-04-2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

LM actually means (L)ane assist and lifetime (M)ap updates.

Tonggi 12-04-2012 12:19 PM

great deal. if mine wasn't still good I would jump on this. I remember buying mine for this price (Different model o f course) worked great for when I need it. Can't complain

bluemonitor 12-04-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunghtain (Post 55677788)
LM actually means (L)ane assist and lifetime (M)ap updates.

I have not used my GPS since I got my smartphone - what advantage do you guys see having a separate GPS? Not being critical, just curious if I'm missing out on something.

mbelsky 12-04-2012 12:24 PM

I currently have the TomTom XXL 540TM and love the way it helps me avoid traffic, but it is a bit sluggish to respond to key presses. When starting a route it takes reported traffic in mind when planning the route. While driving, it occasionally rescans for traffic and if it finds more it:

a) Tells you how many minutes the new traffic delay is.
b) Will tell you if still on fastest route or if it now has a faster route.
c)If there is faster route, you choose to take the new route or continue on the old.

I have read reviews on lots of the Garmins, and it seems they dont do this. It notifies you if it finds new traffic, but you then have to tell it to find a detour? Is this true with this model?

How exactly does the traffic RErouting work? And how well does it work?

Wetdream 12-04-2012 12:25 PM

this might be an ok deal.. but a while ago i thought id get a garmin (xyz high end unit) so i dont have to use my phone..

got it, used it, and wow.. i just couldnt go back to a gps. just my opinion.
the touch screen capacitative response (or whatever its called) light years behind a cell, the traffic wasnt live on the screen. u had to push another button to go to the traffic screen, and it was just more of a pain in the ass. i was better buying an extra battery for my cell to have on standby and making an extra power port in my escape than having the garmin.
i got my money back.

mbelsky 12-04-2012 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluemonitor (Post 55677926)
I have not used my GPS since I got my smartphone - what advantage do you guys see having a separate GPS? Not being critical, just curious if I'm missing out on something.

In my experience, the rerouting goes faster on a dedicated GPS. Also, I find it locks onto GPS signal faster and more reliably.

Maconi 12-04-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

That's incorrect (I think). LM and LT mean Lifetime Maps/Lifetime Traffic. Lane assist is a feature most models have as far as I know.

Ph4m 12-04-2012 12:29 PM

This is a great price. My thoughts on GPS's are that they are getting outdated. With the world moving in the smartphone direction....Why not buy a smart phone (or in some cases get one for free) and install a free app to use as a GPS? (Waze?...which is amazing. Even tells you where cops are hiding/ where speed camera traps are)

Buy a car charger for your phone and you are good to go for those long car rides.

GPS will slowly phase out and if you miss this deal, you can be sure there will be more come holiday season.

moosika 12-04-2012 12:36 PM

I have the LM version of this and paid the same price! Whew...glad to know I got a good deal. I wasn't so sure at the time.

ryanrealestate 12-04-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightsout565 (Post 55664768)

Difference in price is ~$30 to get the LM one. I've had my previous Garmin for about 5 years and have never updated the maps. Still get's me where I'm going perfectly. And when I can get an entirely new and bigger unit for only $70, why spend extra to get lifetime maps. That's my 2 cents.

I think it's preference and frequency of use. And what you're using it for. I know for me it is hard to find homes that are new construction whether that is for work or to get to a friends house. And I've been on road trips where where having the right updated maps can mean the difference between a good experience or a bad one. Also I take mine with me when I travel and use it in rental cars. I use it at least a couple times a week for work so when you drive a lot it is a lifesaver. The map updates on their own can be very pricy I think the last time I checked it was close to $100 per update. So $30 in today's money for $100 per year updates for life is a lot of added value to the unit in my eyes. I'm still waiting for a LMT BT series like they had last year for BF. I think Garmin's are the most user friendly better looking units.

tommyson30 12-04-2012 12:38 PM

just wondering when the gps become a requirement in new car

pro11in 12-04-2012 12:45 PM

Costco has it for $100 with LM
http://www.costco.com/Garmin-nuvi...08025.html

cliquez 12-04-2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ph4m (Post 55678212)
This is a great price. My thoughts on GPS's are that they are getting outdated. With the world moving in the smartphone direction....Why not buy a smart phone (or in some cases get one for free) and install a free app to use as a GPS? (Waze?...which is amazing. Even tells you where cops are hiding/ where speed camera traps are)

Buy a car charger for your phone and you are good to go for those long car rides.

GPS will slowly phase out and if you miss this deal, you can be sure there will be more come holiday season.

The phone GPS use data, right? How much data does it use?

PV9685 12-04-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SL (Post 55666832)

It was $90 a couple days back through BuyDig via eBay. Mine came in this afternoon - but I'm returning it because this is a better deal by far! I don't need Lifetime Maps through Garmin.

To be honest LM/LMT may not be the best deal - my ex has my old Garmin 255W from 4 years back and the flash memory is about 5x slower than this model. That mean everything takes longer to load. Every year the map files are getting bigger - which means new maps may not fit on internal storage, and more loading time. The last thing I want to wait for is directions when I need them. So in reality the "Lifetime" may only be a handful of years - though that is fairly obvious with a device of this nature.

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosika (Post 55678456)
I have the LM version of this and paid the same price! Whew...glad to know I got a good deal. I wasn't so sure at the time.

Refurb?

aunghtain 12-04-2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

If you have an iphone and using their map, I'm sure you will need this.

Just kidding.

Aside from that, I always think that it's worth to have an extra GPS when travelling. My reasons are

1) Your smartphone runs out of battery.
2) Your smartphone does not have good or any reception.
3) Your smartphone does not have enough data plan.
4) Your smartphone may give the wrong navigation (or give you unclear routes).
5) You just want a backup GPS to make you feel safer.

DylonDylonDylon 12-04-2012 01:07 PM

thanks in for one

WaltW 12-04-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PV9685 (Post 55679574)
Every year the map files are getting bigger - which means new maps may not fit on internal storage, and more loading time.

I also ordered from BuyDig. I read that it may require a small capacity microSD card in order to download a new map.

I think the LM is worth $20 just to keep from getting the nag message to upgrade after the unit is a year old.

steal 12-04-2012 01:16 PM

From my experience with garmin so far...lifetime map and lane assist are very important features.

sourdate 12-04-2012 01:16 PM

I still think the one from buydig.com with LTM update is a better deal with $20 more or less if you consider the tax you have to pay for Walmart order. For me this is only $15 difference. If you keep this one for 4 or 5 years, it's well worth it.

WIckedNews 12-04-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommyson30 (Post 55678564)
just wondering when the gps become a requirement in new car

It won't happen because car makers want you to use their own proprietary system which cost 1k.

Why not buy a nexus 7 with built-in GPS?? It is a waste just to use this for your car only when you can do so much more with the NEXUS 7.

luckdeals 12-04-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Cheap people like me don't have data plans. I use WiFi for data, which isn't available on the highway. Are there inexpensive Android devices that provide a good navigation experience without a data plan?

PV9685 12-04-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunghtain (Post 55679700)

Just kidding.

Aside from that, I always think that it's worth to have an extra GPS when travelling. My reasons are

In some states it's also not legal to use a phone as a GPS. For example, I am in the horrid state of Massachusetts and due to texting the law reads clearly that: "no use of device can interfere with driving". So if you want to use your phone as a GPS, or any GPS it has to be "installed, or affixed, either temporarily or permanently, in a motor vehicle for the purpose of providing navigation" and if you receive a text or a call during navigation you immediately violate the law since you cannot prove that you didn't read the text, or were distracted by the call... technically if the device uses your data plan you are screwed in Mass, as it is illegal: "..to access the Internet while operating a vehicle." If you think they don't hold you accountable to these standards - get into an accident and try to battle it out in court... the Mass courts love to claim everyone is always wrong for some odd reason. Very sick and twisted state.

chener 12-04-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luckdeals (Post 55680212)
Cheap people like me don't have data plans. I use WiFi for data, which isn't available on the highway. Are there inexpensive Android devices that provide a good navigation experience without a data plan?

Obviously traffic data wouldn't be available, but you can pre-download maps to the android device on wifi before hitting the road.

GIRay 12-04-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grueber (Post 55664440)
The map updates are very expensive if purchased separately. I would stick with the LM models.

Agree! Maps are more important than the GPS itself.

Deal Explorer 12-04-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobma (Post 55663306)
do you get one free map update when you first get it?

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by fyu (Post 55663796)
LM means Lifetime Maps

If this one is like the last Garmin I bought, it's only one update within 3 months of activating the unit. That usually means 1 update. Maybe it has changed?

DougM 12-04-2012 01:48 PM

Many of the "lifetime maps" gps units have ads...so make sure any LM model you get doesnt feed you ads! (or maybe that is the traffic models?? can someone confirm?)

Btw, I have the 40 and have never updated the maps and it always gets me where I'm going just fine.

WIckedNews 12-04-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PV9685 (Post 55680220)
In some states it's also not legal to use a phone as a GPS. For example, I am in the horrid state of Massachusetts and due to texting the law reads clearly that: "no use of device can interfere with driving". So if you want to use your phone as a GPS, or any GPS it has to be "installed, or affixed, either temporarily or permanently, in a motor vehicle for the purpose of providing navigation" and if you receive a text or a call during navigation you immediately violate the law since you cannot prove that you didn't read the text, or were distracted by the call... technically if the device uses your data plan you are screwed in Mass, as it is illegal: "..to access the Internet while operating a vehicle." If you think they don't hold you accountable to these standards - get into an accident and try to battle it out in court... the Mass courts love to claim everyone is always wrong for some odd reason. Very sick and twisted state.

Let's get real here. People in this state would just buy a holder and it would be fine..

Haywood.Jablomi 12-04-2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Inexpensive and good experience are subjective terms. I believe Lenovo A1 tablet had built-in GPS that would provide navigation without a wifi or data connection.

http://shop.lenovo.com/gbweb/GB/e...deapad/a1/

Not sure how well it worked - I farked my GPS app and had to uninstall it. It's a paid app and not something I was willing to pay for, so I never tried it out.

Not sure if the off-line navigation feature is something that Lenovo has continued with on their new tablets.

$70 for a dedicated GPS vs $150 for a 7" tablet with GPS functionality......end user has to decide if cost difference is worth the added features.

bonhomme 12-04-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackeroo75 (Post 55680192)
It won't happen because car makers want you to use their own proprietary system which cost 1k.

Why not buy a nexus 7 with built-in GPS?? It is a waste just to use this for your car only when you can do so much more with the NEXUS 7.

Alright, not disagreeing with you, but also not completely supporting you. I have a Nexus 7 as well (love it), but can't really say it's been a great GPS. I have tried to use it but it only gives me directions when I'm connected to wifi (no cellular on Nexus 7). Thus, when I'm in the car and trying to get directions, it says there's no connection and can't get directions. The only way I've been able to use it with directions is to be connected to wifi, get directions, then take it to my car and start driving. Is there something I'm missing?

Also, for some people, asking them to pay $200 - $250 for a device rather than $69 is a deal breaker. Can the Nexus 7 do 3 - 4 times what the Garmin can do? Heck yes, but some people don't really want all that in a device. Just saying.

namrats 12-04-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fyu (Post 55663796)
LM means Lifetime Maps

its nonsense that they dont include it with LM/T on ALL GPS devices...

ghoku18 12-04-2012 02:15 PM

Some older smartphones like the Nokia E71 have a GPS that connects to satellites. Download the maps for free and you're set to go with a holder and carcharger ($10 total). No data overrrun etc.

I think Nokia got rid of this feature when they moved to windows platform for their smartphones though.

clearanceman 12-04-2012 02:19 PM

No point in a Garmin without lifetime map updates. I've been through it, just pay $15 more and get the lifetime map updates.

Quote:

Originally Posted by namrats (Post 55681876)
its nonsense that they dont include it with LM/T on ALL GPS devices...

When I had a non lifetime maps Garmin, it was only 2 months of free map updates.

die-e-bay 12-04-2012 02:24 PM

I live in Los Angeles, is lifetime traffic (Garmin nuvi 1450LMT) a MUST?? Any input would be appreciated.

WIckedNews 12-04-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonhomme (Post 55681742)
alright, not disagreeing with you, but also not completely supporting you. I have a nexus 7 as well (love it), but can't really say it's been a great gps. I have tried to use it but it only gives me directions when i'm connected to wifi (no cellular on nexus 7). Thus, when i'm in the car and trying to get directions, it says there's no connection and can't get directions. The only way i've been able to use it with directions is to be connected to wifi, get directions, then take it to my car and start driving. Is there something i'm missing?

Also, for some people, asking them to pay $200 - $250 for a device rather than $69 is a deal breaker. Can the nexus 7 do 3 - 4 times what the garmin can do? Heck yes, but some people don't really want all that in a device. Just saying.

but wifi is everywhere? If you need to change directions then go to the nearest mcdonalds and hope on.. Why pay 70 bucks for a garmin when the maps will be obsolete??? The map updates are a joke.. Dedicated gps are losing money and they know it.

Trevster 12-04-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clearanceman (Post 55682316)
No point in a Garmin without lifetime map updates. I've been through it, just pay $15 more and get the lifetime map updates.

When I had a non lifetime maps Garmin, it was only 2 months of free map updates.

Not seeing a $15 add on for this deal with lifetime maps.

Wal-mart has it with LM for $119.98, and Amazon for $99.

We have a couple of Garmins (neither of which are LM). One of the first ones we bought died after 21/2 to 3 years of use (we replaced that one last year). The new one we bought is way nicer than the one we bought 3 years ago and was cheaper to boot.

Unless you are in a high-new-construction area, I haven't really seen much of a benefit to the lifetime maps (Garmin isn't THAT up to date). And that's a whopping premium for the lifetime maps (an extra 45%).

atomix 12-04-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightsout565 (Post 55664768)

Try driving through Milwaukee, or North Chicago with 5-year-old maps. It'll probably give up and assume you're in an airplane.

atomix 12-04-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackeroo75 (Post 55682508)
but wifi is everywhere? If you need to change directions then go to the nearest mcdonalds and hope on.. Why pay 70 bucks for a garmin when the maps will be obsolete??? The map updates are a joke.. Dedicated gps are losing money and they know it.

lol. . . yeah, if you miss your turn, then just got to McDonald's to get corrected directions. There may be a worthwhile offline driving navigation program for Nexus, but Google Maps/Navigation isn't there yet. When Google DOES get there, Garmin is pretty much screwed.

sharjil333 12-04-2012 02:50 PM

If you have a microSD card, you can easily find updated maps for free, if you know where to look.

maddoggyusa 12-04-2012 03:00 PM

let me just say that traffic on a Garmin is a complete waste of money! Been in 2 horrible traffic jams and Garmin had no clue.

you get a free map update... which I think you can use several years later (I did this) cause they don't know when you purchased it (as long as you don't register it)

guess what? streets and highways rarely change anyhow. The few times they do, just read the GPS map and no big deal.

WIckedNews 12-04-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atomix (Post 55682982)
lol. . . yeah, if you miss your turn, then just got to McDonald's to get corrected directions. There may be a worthwhile offline driving navigation program for Nexus, but Google Maps/Navigation isn't there yet. When Google DOES get there, Garmin is pretty much screwed.

wHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? IF YOU MISSED A TURN YOUR ROUTE IS STILL ACTIVE AND WILL SHOW YOU WHERE YOU ARE AT!! NEXUS HAS A BUILT-IN GPS UNLIKE APPLE IPADS (UNLESS YOU BUY THEIR DATA PLAN).

Blorg 12-04-2012 03:05 PM

The Garmins hold their maps in a certain hidden folder
Only thing you have to do is
Reach around the back and plug in a usb cable
Right there in the base directory, go to the .System folder (dont forget the period)
Easy to just type it in the path bar, its hidden folder
Now look for the gmapprom.img file
Thats the map file

I think all you have to do is find the latest map and you can update it yourself.
There HAS to be Somewhere you can find it.

WIckedNews 12-04-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackeroo75 (Post 55683802)
what are you talking about? If you missed a turn your route is still active and will show you where you are at!! Nexus has a built-in gps unlike apple ipads (unless you buy their data plan).

for the average joe: Garmin is useless!!! For someone who travels all over the united state then go ahead and get a garmin. Don't get a garmin just to find your friend's house!!!

Nomadicthoughts 12-04-2012 03:07 PM

My biggest question is do these include traffic? Or is that part of the whole LM model?

Blorg 12-04-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackeroo75 (Post 55683862)
for the average joe: Garmin is useless!!! For someone who travels all over the united state then go ahead and get a garmin. Don't get a garmin just to find your friend's house!!!

My garmin also has thousands of restaurants, stores, gas stations, hospitals, etc etc

WIckedNews 12-04-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blorg (Post 55683908)
my garmin also has thousands of restaurants, stores, gas stations, hospitals, etc etc

huh>? You can use maze (ANDROID APP OR APPLE APP) with that!!! Stupid

pookiegirl 12-04-2012 03:13 PM

I HAVE to ask because I am nosy and curious but do you guys not have smartphones? I am not trying to be a smartbutt but I really really want to know. My GPS has been collecting dust for the past 2 years ever since I got my EVO and my GPS works wonders. Funniest part is, until recently, I never even knew it had a traffic summary. I been using sigalert to find out traffic and found the traffic summary by accident, think I hit the button by accident while I was utilizing the GPS, navigating to go somewhere. It is truly a blessing. It does everything a GPS does and more, and I'd never go back to my GPS ever again.

The traffic summary on my GPS function on my EVO, btw I use telenav, is always up to date on the traffic as soon as it starts to get congested any where, seems like its updated before sigalert, and it's extremely accurate. Love my phone. Best investment ever.

gan1953 12-04-2012 03:17 PM

Gps

Quote:

Originally Posted by pookiegirl (Post 55684048)
I HAVE to ask because I am nosy and curious but do you guys not have smartphones? I am not trying to be a smartbutt but I really really want to know. My GPS has been collecting dust for the past 2 years ever since I got my EVO and my GPS works wonders. Funniest part is, until recently, I never even knew it had a traffic summary. I been using sigalert to find out traffic and found the traffic summary by accident, think I hit the button by accident while I was utilizing the GPS, navigating to go somewhere. It is truly a blessing. It does everything a GPS does and more, and I'd never go back to my GPS ever again.

The traffic summary on my GPS function on my EVO, btw I use telenav, is always up to date on the traffic as soon as it starts to get congested any where, seems like its updated before sigalert, and it's extremely accurate. Love my phone. Best investment ever.

I have a iphone with a limited data plan so a GPS is better for me.

Nomadicthoughts 12-04-2012 03:17 PM

Think outside the box: not everyone is buying this for themselves. A major portion of the older generation doesn't have or want a smartphone. Parents, grandparents, etc etc

Ronin88 12-04-2012 03:19 PM

I just received my Garmin 2460 from that black friday FP deal ($100 refurb). Is this $69 Nuvi 50 a better deal than that?

The 2460 has lifetime maps + traffic (which I find indispensable on my old Garmin) and can be 100% voice controlled so that you never have to manually punch in any address or commands while you drive. I tried it out and it is very convenient and way cool. It's supposed to be a refurb but it looks brand new and works great so far.

I may still pick up this Nuvi 50 as a gift.

WIckedNews 12-04-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsstatic (Post 55684136)
think outside the box: Not everyone is buying this for themselves. A major portion of the older generation doesn't have or want a smartphone. Parents, grandparents, etc etc

i rather not even buy THIS but give them a map!

pookiegirl 12-04-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gan1953 (Post 55684134)
I have a iphone with a limited data plan so a GPS is better for me.

aaah ic ic. I guess I should not switch from Sprint then. But GPS function should not use data or the internet how strange. If you got a Nexus 7, it has GPS function, and it is free, there is no data/internet plan, it's only wifi. You guys should look in to it, It's much bigger screen, I seen a dude utilize it on youtube. It's pretty cool. I kinda want one for that feature, bc the GPS and phone is kinda small.

pookiegirl 12-04-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackeroo75 (Post 55684290)
i rather not even buy THIS but give them a map!

a map lol. do those things still even exist. seriously i would give grandpa props if they could utilize the GPS device.
:O

trayly 12-04-2012 03:37 PM

Walmart had it for $99 for sale in the store on Black Friday...!

gaore 12-04-2012 03:38 PM

Thanks

Nomadicthoughts 12-04-2012 03:38 PM

So... does this include traffic? I know it doesn't have map updates

eyeslick 12-04-2012 03:39 PM

has LMT
but refurb

Garmin Nuvi 1390LMT 4.3" Portable GPS, Refurbished [walmart.com]

FAMIR 12-04-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by auctionhugh (Post 55674962)
Now the traffic is useless for me where I live, only a couple highways and no real traffic issues, but in any big city it is SOO useful.

Not really useful anywhere.
Quote:

Originally Posted by pugpugdoggy (Post 55670288)

See, using the phone as GPS actually will do you more good;)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cliquez (Post 55679394)

not necessarily, but for free GPS apps, most likely it'll use data.
Quote:

Just kidding.

1) Your smartphone runs out of battery. buy a car charge for your phone
2) Your smartphone does not have good or any reception.buy a stand alone GPS app.
3) Your smartphone does not have enough data plan.buy a stand alone gps app
4) Your smartphone may give the wrong navigation (or give you unclear routes).so does your gps unit:D
5) You just want a backup GPS to make you feel safer.that's true. I had an old cellphone and it just locked up on my way to a totally new place, I really felt lost.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackeroo75 (Post 55680192)

once the automated driving car starts to roll out, then GPS will be required.:D
Quote:

Again, you can find good gps apps for cheap, it might not be as robust as Garmin's app, but it's cheaper. Also, you don't have to have a lot different devices in the car, to worry about get a break in.
Quote:

Originally Posted by rx41599 (Post 55682452)
I live in Los Angeles, is lifetime traffic (Garmin nuvi 1450LMT) a MUST?? Any input would be appreciated.

more or less useless. No traffic information is accurate to my understanding, the only thing that's worth considering is the social network enabled app, like the waze. I once tried a unit which will report my driving speed real time, and I think only these kind of service can make the traffic info useful, but that company charged a lot, and nobody was willing to pay at all, that service was a combination of traffic info from the sigalert and the users, but because the user base was too small to make any difference, so it was basically sigalert, which is useful to certain level. Waze will collect your driving info real time, and use that to provide accurate traffic, which is the way to go. Only waze needs data.

ms.midge 12-04-2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

Think outside the box: not everyone is buying this for themselves. A major portion of the older generation doesn't have or want a smartphone. Parents, grandparents, etc etc

Yeah. I'm thinking of getting this for my Dad. He doesn't have a smartphone, but he needs a GPS (tendency to get lost a lot). I don't have a smartphone either, but it's only because I can't afford one at this moment in my life.

FAMIR 12-04-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsstatic (Post 55684726)
So... does this include traffic? I know it doesn't have map updates

no. if the garmin model ends with LT or LM or LTM, which means Live traffic, lifetime map or lifetime traffic and map, then it has that, otherwise, it's a unit without those.

woodheadtx 12-04-2012 03:47 PM

After much debate about lifetime map update, I bit this one.

I am still using a refurbished Magellan RoadMate 2200T - 3.5" which I bought back to December 2007, it has not gotten any map update since then but so far has not given me much problem finding the place I need to go. Will be a much welcome upgrade getting this new Garmin with bigger screen and Lane Assistance function, and hopefully this new Garmin can last longer then the refurbished Megallan.

raceroh 12-04-2012 03:48 PM

Good GPS for the price point.I drive for a regional carrier and purchased this earlier in the year with LTM updates.It replaced an older NUVI 40 model.There have been a few interstate changes locally(state routes now interstates) and the older model had the old exit numbers,wrong speed limits,no toll information and newer subdivisions.Good luck reading a map when driving through Pittsburgh and its tunnels...get in the wrong lane good luck getting back to you're intended route.

maria_bettina 12-04-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghoku18 (Post 55682160)
Some older smartphones like the Nokia E71 have a GPS that connects to satellites. Download the maps for free and you're set to go with a holder and carcharger ($10 total). No data overrrun etc.

I think Nokia got rid of this feature when they moved to windows platform for their smartphones though.

I have the Nokia 5230 and it has the GPS/nav feature (voice navigation and maps). It's awesome. Used it a TON in Tennessee, though it would have been nice to have a backup GPS onboard just to be sure. Plus, as someone said earlier, the battery was an issue as well.

Sim-X 12-04-2012 03:51 PM

not having LM I would immediately pass on this deal. Garmin robs people for individual map updates or to add LT later. Same unit under $100 with LT maps no dash mount but LM maps is a must in my opinion.

pookiegirl 12-04-2012 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k000 (Post 55664550)
i also would not buy without lifetime maps... Or you will be loking at buying another gps or maps soon..

agreed!!!

pr1nyc1 12-04-2012 03:55 PM

Got this as a Christmas present.

Thanks OP

Blorg 12-04-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackeroo75 (Post 55684040)

Wow, kid, you don't have to be an ass.

pookiegirl 12-04-2012 04:06 PM

No one should be reading any text or anything on the road anyways. Especially if you have no clue where you are going, your eyes should be on the road, not trying to navigate your texts on your phone or talking to people when you're lost.

Never had trouble with my phone, I been using it for two years and I'd never go back. It's convenient as ever, I Yelp everything, hit directions, choose the GPS app I want, and BOOM, I'm on my way. I don't fuss with texts bc you aren't supposed to, and if someone calls, I say I'm on the road, call you back, bye. Traffic summary works like a charm, it's easy, up to date, tells me if theres 8 congested areas coming up on the freeway I'm on or the freeway I'm headed to, LOVE IT.

It is expensive to have a data plan, but with Sprint unlimited everything and 5 people on it, its not that expensive in the end when you divide the fees, we pay $45 each person and everyone can talk all they want, surf all they want, cell to ANY cell is free ANY time, talk all you want. You can talk from 7pm not 9 if you need to call a land line, if it's a cell it's free anytime. It's just convenient. But I DO keep my GPS in my car for any emergencies. :)

But I do understand for pops and grandpa, bc my bf dad still having a difficult time using his smartphone but he has to have one bc of emails and business situations.

pookiegirl 12-04-2012 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ms.midge (Post 55684868)
Yeah. I'm thinking of getting this for my Dad. He doesn't have a smartphone, but he needs a GPS (tendency to get lost a lot). I don't have a smartphone either, but it's only because I can't afford one at this moment in my life.

Assuming you mean you can't afford the data plans not the phone? Because smartphones are so cheap now but with the 2 year plan of course. If you're by yourself then yes, it's expensive but if you can have a family plan with other people and split the fees, it's not that bad really. I recommend Sprint, unlimited everything plan. My family pays $45 each because we share a plan. It's unlimited so no worries about going over your data plan.

WIckedNews 12-04-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blorg (Post 55685324)
Quote from jackeroo75 :huh>? You can use maze (ANDROID APP OR APPLE APP) with that!!! Stupid

Wow, kid, you don't have to be an ass.

And you dont have to be a dick with your response

slikk 12-04-2012 04:22 PM

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/pr...revshr_001

^ might be a better value deal with LM and LT + free shipping. only thing is its not available at this time. was available as of yesterday.

mather 12-04-2012 04:27 PM

Lifetime maps are good to have. Lifetime traffic are not worth spending more to get. Map updates cover more than just new streets, POI info are updated along with it. I have tried several apps that do GPS navigation and while they are acceptable to me, for navigation, my first choice would be a Garmin above them all. Of course, everyone's experience may differ based on their location.

abhibhatnagar 12-04-2012 04:29 PM

nice price but i will wait for a GPS that has live maps

henny 12-04-2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Just kidding.

6) Your smartphone requires a contract. A GPS does not!!

ms.midge 12-04-2012 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pookiegirl (Post 55685742)
Assuming you mean you can't afford the data plans not the phone? Because smartphones are so cheap now but with the 2 year plan of course. If you're by yourself then yes, it's expensive but if you can have a family plan with other people and split the fees, it's not that bad really. I recommend Sprint, unlimited everything plan. My family pays $45 each because we share a plan. It's unlimited so no worries about going over your data plan.

Working part-time with grad student loans, it's not an expense I can afford. Maybe when I get another job, i'll think about it. Sure I would love to have one, but it's not a necessity right now. We have Verizon. Don't think we'll be switching anytime soon.

magesu 12-04-2012 04:48 PM

I had a garmin 255w which I bought 2 years ago for $120. Due to all the construction that has taken place where I live (in the DFW area in Tx), the single updated map that I was allowed to download soon became obsolete, and the gps is now a source of great consternation. Given the prohibitive cost of a new map update, I finally took the plunge and sprung for the $90 nuvi 50LM that buydig had on sale recently.

Given my experiences, I would caution others who might go for this model. If you live in an area where there isn't much construction going on, then this might be fine. But if you live in areas that have new roads coming up and is seeing a lot of construction activity, then you are much better off with the LM model, even though its upfront cost might be higher.

learnp 12-04-2012 05:12 PM

the TomTom GPS with free maps & the same accessory for only 10 bucks more could be a better deal ..

http://www.walmart.com/ip/TomTom-...y/22255083

vickpick 12-04-2012 05:14 PM

So I have a 50LM... can I use the map update in there with this GPS as well?

pookiegirl 12-04-2012 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ms.midge (Post 55686632)
Working part-time with grad student loans, it's not an expense I can afford. Maybe when I get another job, i'll think about it. Sure I would love to have one, but it's not a necessity right now. We have Verizon. Don't think we'll be switching anytime soon.

I wish I can switch to VZN!! But no more unlimited plans. Boohoo.

TheThriftyOne 12-04-2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henny (Post 55686382)
6) Your smartphone requires a contract. A GPS does not!!

what is a smartphone, do you know if tracfone has this?

exhurt 12-04-2012 06:46 PM

I have lifetime maps for my Garmin. I have only used it twice so far and it brought me to the middle of nowhere once RIGHT after an update. So in other words, you don't really need lifetime maps unless your area is going through constant construction. It's not a deal breaker.

dvpatel 12-04-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackeroo75 (Post 55684040)

Its called Waze not maze. Who's stupid now?

cole46_51 12-04-2012 07:34 PM

thanks OP, this will be a nice upgrade from my nuvi 200!

namrats 12-04-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rx41599 (Post 55682452)

its only a "must" if you go to an area with new roads ...thats my opinion...i cant imagine any other reasons...sometimes i dont even update my map for a long time and its free on my Tom Tom..

namrats 12-04-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pookiegirl (Post 55684048)

Since you asked....lol...i have a very dumb phone...i just talk, i dont do apps, i dont text ...just talk so i have a Tom Tom ..LM/T..i dont want to learn any more high tech stuff...i dont take pictures with my phone either...i use my sony camera HXV100 to be precise...

namrats 12-04-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ms.midge (Post 55686632)

45 DOLLARS? you people have too much money!!! my no frill family plan only cost me 12 dollars a month...no tv, no texting, no nothing cept talking

Fogmoose 12-04-2012 07:59 PM

Quote:

This. Not only that, but Smart Phones = 20$ more a month for a Data plan. That is something I am not willing to shell out for. Especially now that I have a Kindle Fire HD.....which handles my basic e-mail/Internet. Its just not worth the money for me to pay for a smart phone. Now, if I was 20 years younger I would probably feel differently :lol:

Fogmoose 12-04-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackeroo75 (Post 55685832)
And you dont have to be a dick with your response

You were an ass before he was a dick.... :eek:

ms.midge 12-04-2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by namrats (Post 55692216)
45 DOLLARS? you people have too much money!!! my no frill family plan only cost me 12 dollars a month...no tv, no texting, no nothing cept talking

Misquote? I don't pay $45 a month for my line on the family plan.

silverv 12-04-2012 08:10 PM

Have you noticed that when you use a Phone based GPS that it takes you right through the Business districts. Try this run your Phone app and run the Nuvi... The navigation is not the same... The Phone app is funded by Businesses making it free to you so yes it drags you out of your way... While the NUVI is a paid device, so it doesnt alter your route through business districts.. Try it someday...

oaklandr 12-04-2012 08:34 PM

I bought a GPS just because I have a custom POI file that has 12,000 POI's (for work).

Google maps can't do that.

WIckedNews 12-04-2012 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fogmoose (Post 55692336)
This. Not only that, but Smart Phones = 20$ more a month for a Data plan. That is something I am not willing to shell out for. Especially now that I have a Kindle Fire HD.....which handles my basic e-mail/Internet. Its just not worth the money for me to pay for a smart phone. Now, if I was 20 years younger I would probably feel differently :lol:

Again you don't need data plan to have a smart phone!! This is one misnomer people
Don't understand! Read my lips you don't need buy to buy smartphone with data plan to use built-in gps!!

WIckedNews 12-04-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaklandr (Post 55693252)
I bought a GPS just because I have a custom POI file that has 12,000 POI's (for work).

Google maps can't do that.

Huh? You try waze or android google app navigation? It has poi !!!!

dooboo 12-04-2012 08:54 PM

There is a way to update the map on all GPS units. Just do this once a year, and you are upto date with maps.

Fogmoose 12-04-2012 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackeroo75 (Post 55693278)
Again you don't need data plan to have a smart phone!! This is one misnomer people
Don't understand! Read my lips you don't need buy to buy smartphone with data plan to use built-in gps!!

I was not commenting on the GPS capabilities of the smart phone, so you may be right that you don't need to pay for Data plan to use that function. However, I don't think you can even get a smart phone activated on most carriers unless you get the Data plan...am I wrong here?

dooboo 12-04-2012 08:56 PM

I will have to have wal mart give me the extra dash mount, for the one I bought last week.

kris259 12-04-2012 08:57 PM

man with deals like this.. who needs black friday... wasnt this 99 on black friday... making it hard for me to sell the garmins I got from staples for 25 bucks...LOL.

bsg75 12-04-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dooboo (Post 55693764)
There is a way to update the map on all GPS units. Just do this once a year, and you are upto date with maps.

Uh ok. Where there's a will, there's a way. But it either costs an exorbitant amount or is illegal and time-consuming.

pookiegirl 12-04-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by namrats (Post 55692140)
Since you asked....lol...i have a very dumb phone...i just talk, i dont do apps, i dont text ...just talk so i have a Tom Tom ..LM/T..i dont want to learn any more high tech stuff...i dont take pictures with my phone either...i use my sony camera HXV100 to be precise...

:lmao:

pookiegirl 12-04-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fogmoose (Post 55692336)

But you don't NEED a data plan for the GPS function if you had the NEXUS 7, amongst many other cell phones, you just need a GPS app and you're set as someone else said, and the nexus 7 which has a GPS function do not need the internet, it does not even have 3G.

Not everyone can afford any sort of tablet so you're pretty lucky!!! :)
You have a lot more than most people here.

WIckedNews 12-04-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fogmoose (Post 55693780)
I was not commenting on the GPS capabilities of the smart phone, so you may be right that you don't need to pay for Data plan to use that function. However, I don't think you can even get a smart phone activated on most carriers unless you get the Data plan...am I wrong here?

You can get a prepaid phone without activating it such as the htc one v from virgin mobile for 99 bucks. Or wait until it goes n sale again for 50 bucks.

pookiegirl 12-04-2012 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ms.midge (Post 55692596)
Misquote? I don't pay $45 a month for my line on the family plan.

yeah, it was supposed to me quoted for me. :look:

pookiegirl 12-04-2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackeroo75 (Post 55693278)

haha yah, duh. lol.
:D

XBeatzX 12-04-2012 09:10 PM

The Nuvi 30 is $10 cheaper ($59.99). Same exact unit, just with a 3.5" screen. I much prefer that size over these larger units. Less light when night driving, far easier to install on the dash vs on top of the dash, less spacing on keyboard makes it actually better for typing, more portable, occasional motorcycle use, uses less power, etc..

pookiegirl 12-04-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fogmoose (Post 55693780)

Yes you should be able to, someone else mentioned a nokia that you can get that has the gps feature, you can get the Nexus 7 which is a tablet, and is a much bigger device you can use, i seen someone on youtube utilize it, it's pretty cool.

There are many phones that allows you to pay for apps, like a buck or two, you don't need any data plan, and you d/l the gps app and use it.

laidbacklarkin 12-04-2012 09:13 PM

does this have Canada maps included ? Garmin site shows two versions of this, one with and one without...since this does NOT mention it, I take it it does not...can anyone confirm ? TIA

bsg75 12-04-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XBeatzX (Post 55694266)
The Nuvi 30 is $10 cheaper ($59.99). Same exact unit, just with a 3.5" screen. I much prefer that size over these larger units. Less light when night driving, far easier to install on the dash vs on top of the dash, less spacing on keyboard makes it actually better for typing, more portable, occasional motorcycle use, uses less power, etc..

You can turn down the backlight; most automatically switch to night mode. There is little difference in mounting difficulty. Tiny keyboard making for easier typing does not pass the laugh test unless you are an insect. More portable, check. Motorcycle, ok if you ride a motor cycle. Less power, marginal and insignificant.

Bigger screen is better in most respects for most people. I would not go below 4.3" unless you're going to be walking around with it a lot. 5" is a noticeable improvement in usability at least for me, though I didn't think it would be..

XBeatzX 12-04-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsg75 (Post 55694406)
You can turn down the backlight; most automatically switch to night mode. There is little difference in mounting difficulty. Tiny keyboard making for easier typing does not pass the laugh test unless you are an insect. More portable, check. Motorcycle, ok if you ride a motor cycle. Less power, marginal and insignificant.

Bigger screen is better in most respects for most people. I would not go below 4.3" unless you're going to be walking around with it a lot. 5" is a noticeable improvement in usability at least for me, though I didn't think it would be..

I just am not a fan of GPS units sitting on top of the dash or hanging from the window. Similar to having a flat screen tv on the wall with all the cords just hanging down below it willy nilly. Just looks terrible. When I can, I try and find a spot somewhere on the dashboard or radio stack to hard mount my units with either 2-sides tape or the like, and then hard wire the power cable in, takes 10 minutes. Its just hard finding a space large enough for these 5" widescreens. Next time your at a stop light, take a look left or right at the cars next to you, I would bet the GPS units hanging from windows or on the dash catch your eye more then anything else, and always have, you just hadn't thought too much about it before.

JBriZzeL 12-04-2012 09:52 PM

What's the retail price on this unit?

ten80 12-04-2012 10:01 PM

mostly useless in the long term without LM, unless you get a new one every year or so.

spuck20 12-04-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kim1982 (Post 55664666)
Wonder what the best deal is. on a LM Gps. My car decided to chew my cord ( I taped it). I currently own a xxl tomtom. Not sure which version. But I have to reset it alot. Problems-screen turns blue, and half the time it won't power on- without a reset.

I'd suggest the 50 LM from Costco right now, unless that just ended. Was $99 pre-tax and using the Amex Sync from Facebook, I should be getting $25 back on it, making final about $77 including the tax.

I flat-out do not understand Garmin and the LM pricing. I got one of these 50's on Black Friday's Eve at Walmart for this same price, but decided to return it as soon as I figured out it wasn't the LM version. Makes no sense to me that I can buy a LM version regularly for just $5 to $10 more than the LM version, but a single map upgrade after the first 90 days is about $30 bucks for the base version. Upgrading this base 50 to LM on their website is in the $70 neighborhood. What is the point of the base model other than to try and rip people off later?

ten80 12-04-2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XBeatzX (Post 55694266)

Picked up a 5" last year to replace my 3", my next one will be a 4.3".

spuck20 12-04-2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbrizzel (Post 55695262)
What's the retail price on this unit?

Was $95 last week on Amazon, but it looks like they're out of stock on it and it's being sold by another vendor now for $101, which makes a lot of sense since Amazon has the LM version at $99.

BMWBig6 12-05-2012 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougM (Post 55681242)
Many of the "lifetime maps" gps units have ads...so make sure any LM model you get doesnt feed you ads! (or maybe that is the traffic models?? can someone confirm?)

Seriously? Like pop-up ads? How do you remove/suppress them?

keane007 12-05-2012 07:41 AM

the LM offers free dash mount from the mfr anyway. you just have to request for one via online/call-in from the info slip given inside the box.

here, basic + mkt-ing gimmick? lol.

Indio22 12-05-2012 08:42 AM

Garmin is listed by some evangelical groups as participating in the so called "War On Christmas". So you should not buy from Garmin. Clearly this GPS unit will reroute the buyer straight to hell. ;)

erishun 12-05-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMWBig6 (Post 55702754)
Seriously? Like pop-up ads? How do you remove/suppress them?

It's only for "traffic" models. The traffic servers cost money to provide data. To offset the cost for the data, Garmin shows a pop-up ad after 100 queries to the traffic server (depending on your area, it's like maybe one ad per week. but could be more if you're in a city environment where traffic data is more plentiful)

the ad is small and only appears when you are stopped (at say, a red light... or in traffic!). the ads can be suppressed by disabling the traffic feature. it will no longer query the traffic server and thus you'll never reach the query limit and get no ads.

BMWBig6 12-05-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erishun (Post 55712026)
It's only for "traffic" models. The traffic servers cost money to provide data. To offset the cost for the data, Garmin shows a pop-up ad after 100 queries to the traffic server (depending on your area, it's like maybe one ad per week. but could be more if you're in a city environment where traffic data is more plentiful)

the ad is small and only appears when you are stopped (at say, a red light... or in traffic!). the ads can be suppressed by disabling the traffic feature. it will no longer query the traffic server and thus you'll never reach the query limit and get no ads.

Ugh, thanks for the explanation. So this applies to both traffic-capable (subscription based?) models and lifetime-traffic models (that had higher prices supposedly to pay for this)? If we already paid for the LMT, why do we need to continue subsidizing the cost of this feature?

erishun 12-05-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMWBig6 (Post 55714178)
Ugh, thanks for the explanation. So this applies to both traffic-capable (subscription based?) models and lifetime-traffic models (that had higher prices supposedly to pay for this)? If we already paid for the LMT, why do we need to continue subsidizing the cost of this feature?

Yes, any GPS device with traffic has this, to my knowledge. I would assume the small upfront cost pays for the built in radio frequency hardware which picks up the traffic signal and the ads go to pay off the traffic radiowave service providers. I don't find the weekly ad that annoying, it pops up when you're stopped then goes away when you start driving again until about next week. And you always have the option to turn off the traffic feature and get no ads.

peppermint 12-05-2012 07:43 PM

thanks

PV9685 12-05-2012 08:13 PM

hmm, odd, my order was cancelled :(

kippcam 12-05-2012 08:29 PM

Regarding the traffic-related ads, I think Garmin stopped sending the ads earlier this year. At least this has been my experience.

Icekeep9 12-05-2012 09:33 PM

The 50 is a good GPS. The 50LM retails for about $139 in stores (Walmart) but can be found for 99 dollars from time to time. I would get the 50LM to keep the maps updated. Traffic is useless unless you live in big cities 200,000 or more. They cover about 80 cities or so. Here is the link http://www.navteq.com/rdstraffic/index_150.htm.

I agree that lifetime maps is worth it. This is a good GPS that my parents use.

Walmart.com did have the 50LM for $119, but like I said you can find it cheaper.

BMWBig6 12-06-2012 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kippcam (Post 55735068)
Regarding the traffic-related ads, I think Garmin stopped sending the ads earlier this year. At least this has been my experience. I'm in Southern California so I get the traffic info all the time. I haven't seen a single ad since earlier this year. Over the summer I used my Garmin for several weeks in other parts of the country and got no ads there either.

Hmm, that's good to know. So even the older units are not seeing ads anymore? I was worried you had to buy a new 2012 model to miss the ads, but it sounds like Garmin turned off ads for existing units too.

luckdeals 12-06-2012 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icekeep9 (Post 55736668)
Walmart.com did have the 50LM for $119, but like I said you can find it cheaper.

Walmart.com has the 50LM with friction mount for $119 now, and the refurbed 50LM for $100. I'm pretty sure the refurbed 50LM was $80 earlier this week.

Ph4m 12-06-2012 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cliquez (Post 55679394)

Well, in my mind most people who have a data plan has a minimum of 2GB a month. Thats what I have, and I rarely ever get close to that 2 GB threshold. GPS should not eat a lot of your data plan. What it does eat is your battery life. That is why it is essential to bring your own car charger. But in terms of data plan, you should be fine. Just don't be streaming videos/youtube videos like crazy without wifi. ("Waze" app on your smartphone is amazing....again, speed traps,traffic, cops hiding without lights on at night... it's basically a radar detector... you can also find out where your friends are if they use the app and you are meeting up wth them)

gunabcd 12-06-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erishun (Post 55715848)
Yes, any GPS device with traffic has this, to my knowledge. I would assume the small upfront cost pays for the built in radio frequency hardware which picks up the traffic signal and the ads go to pay off the traffic radiowave service providers. I don't find the weekly ad that annoying, it pops up when you're stopped then goes away when you start driving again until about next week. And you always have the option to turn off the traffic feature and get no ads.

Not sure what is your qualification and experience with GPS. I bought my TomTom XL 340TM over 2 years ago for $80, have trafiic turned on out of the box and never saw any ad or a sign of it. it is not "traffic ready" it has built in traffic update.

Both map updates and traffic are amazing features to me. In my book, best path is not the one with shortest distance but the one that gets me there the quickest by road (unless you enjoy sitting in traffic).

Most folks may not realize the importance of traffic until they use it. my GPS tells me in real time if there is traffic delay ahead and how much time i'd save by taking the alternate route, i just have to hit Yes to take alternate route.

There are some smart phone apps that help with traffic, but they take input from other users and make decision based on that data. GPS does not work that way, it uses data from professional traffic data providers.

p.s. i do not sell GPS or will not benefit from you buying one.

PizzaNite 12-06-2012 10:34 AM

It doesn't have traffic. Not worth it. I'll keep my Navigon 5100 until something better comes to upgrade.

Appelski 12-06-2012 03:28 PM

But why buy a GPS at all.
Instead get an inexpensive prepaid Android Phone with GPS onboard.
DO NOT ACTIVATE THE PHONE !
1. Set up Wi-Fi and access Google Play Store
a. Download Google Maps/Navigation
b. Download the maps from Google to Sim Card
c. Place in car, tell it where you want to go (by voice in Recent versions of Android)
d. GPS will talk & show you to where you want to go -- NO NEED FOR PHONE SERVICE.

The $50 HTC One V that Virgin was selling over Thanksgiving works well doing exactly this.
Continuously updated maps, optimized multiple stop routing, turn by turn instructions.

PublikDefender 12-06-2012 03:30 PM

I don't get why this thread is so popular, no offense to the op. the nuvi 50lm was just $99 everywhere during black friday and cyber monday, and was a much better deal.

kippcam 12-06-2012 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMWBig6 (Post 55744220)
Hmm, that's good to know. So even the older units are not seeing ads anymore? I was worried you had to buy a new 2012 model to miss the ads, but it sounds like Garmin turned off ads for existing units too.

Yes, the older units are not seeing ads either. I have a 3 year old 255W connected to a GTM-35 traffic receiver and currently I don't see any ads.

psbs86 12-07-2012 06:58 AM

I hate to show my ignorance but what is LM?

LoveCats 12-07-2012 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powerfuldoppler (Post 55662038)
Walmart has the Garmin nuvi 50 5" Portable GPS Bundle w/ Bonus Dash Mount for $69 w/free shipping.

Link [walmart.com]

5" is just right!

ms.midge 12-07-2012 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psbs86 (Post 55785780)
I hate to show my ignorance but what is LM?

Lifetime map. A model with LM has lifetime map updates.

ms.midge 12-07-2012 07:21 AM

For anyone else still interested, Walmart upped the price by $5. It's $74 for the bundle now.

dealsifter 12-07-2012 05:41 PM

I got this and like it so far, but how do you get the free one time map update? On their website I only see the option to purchase a onetime update or the lifetime updates.

EDIT:

I looked and found this under "MyMaps" so I guess they are already installed:

"City Navigator North America NT 2013.10, Lower 49 States - Map Only, Apr 12

Date Unlocked: October 9, 2012"

beef1218 12-10-2012 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appelski (Post 55765556)
But why buy a GPS at all.
Instead get an inexpensive prepaid Android Phone with GPS onboard.
DO NOT ACTIVATE THE PHONE !
1. Set up Wi-Fi and access Google Play Store
a. Download Google Maps/Navigation
b. Download the maps from Google to Sim Card
c. Place in car, tell it where you want to go (by voice in Recent versions of Android)
d. GPS will talk & show you to where you want to go -- NO NEED FOR PHONE SERVICE.

The $50 HTC One V that Virgin was selling over Thanksgiving works well doing exactly this.
Continuously updated maps, optimized multiple stop routing, turn by turn instructions.

Doesn't using google map require data plan?

Appelski 12-10-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beef1218 (Post 55885218)
Doesn't using google map require data plan?

Nope... The GPS chip & antenna in the phone does not need cell towers, works fine off signals from GPS satellites.
If you play around with Google Navigation, you'll find that you can download their maps direct into your phone (I used Wi-Fi for the download), and their map program works just fine without any cellphone hookup at all.
I just did this with a HTC One V - drove some 40 miles and all works perfectly.

kippcam 12-10-2012 08:03 PM

I don't have Google Nav so I don't know for sure. But I read in reviews that if you get off route and it needs to recalculate (or if you want to change or start a new new route), it can't do this unless you are connected to the internet. Is this incorrect?

Appelski 12-11-2012 08:25 AM

Quote:

It should be pointed out at this stage that, like Google Maps itself, Google Maps
Navigation requires a data connection to download its routes and mapping data.
So if you don't have this at the time you plan your route, you will not be able to use the service.
If you veer off the route and recalculation is required, a data connection will also be needed.
Without it, navigational instructions will cease.

Read that closely, what it says is that you need a data connection to *download the routes & mapping data* which is correct,
however I'm curious to know how old that review is, since my experience -last week- was that when I changed routes,
right at the outset of my little trip, Google Nav picked up on it and recalculated the route immediately.

Note that I did indeed download ( via Wi-Fi ) maps in a 50 mile radius of my home, (and intend to increase that to cover the USA).
Whether the program + little snapdragon processor would re-optimize the order of a multi-stop route - that I can't say.
But, then again, I expect the answer is YES, since the processors in my old Mio & Magellan probably not superior.

Google Maps is a free app at the Play Store, and once on the phone, it will download the maps themselves, you just need memory space onboard, or on a micro SD.
So, if you have an Android with GPS chip (99.99% have them), why not give it a try?; you can always uninstall.

/

workingmantom 12-11-2012 08:55 AM

Quote:

Just started reading this post. One reason someone would choose a dedicated GPS over using a smart phone, some of use don't see the need to spend an additional $30 or so each month to have a smart phone.

Appelski 12-11-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Just started reading this post. One reason someone would choose a dedicated GPS over using a smart phone, some of use don't see the need to spend an additional $30 or so each month to have a smart phone.
Please see my post #184 above.
No need for a subscription to any telephone service -at all- nor any upgrade to current service unless mandated by sprint/verizon/t-mob, etc.
All you need is an android phone with GPS chip, and Wi-Fi service

Oh... and since we're talking cost, buy a perfectly good Verizon/Sprint phone with a "bad ESN" --unpaid bills- for a really cheap price on eBay.
Decent phones at $30 shipped sold daily. Big screen? search ebay for "Echo phone" - double screen phone 5.4" diagonal (IIRC) with both screens working & acting as once screen.

kippcam 12-11-2012 10:45 PM

Can you try turning off both Wifi and cellular and then try to calculate a route? That would tell us for sure whether Google has now allowed route calculations to work based only on off-line cached map data.

Appelski 12-14-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kippcam (Post 55957274)
Can you try turning off both Wifi and cellular and then try to calculate a route? That would tell us for sure whether Google has now allowed route calculations to work based only on off-line cached map data. That would be major news if true. Can you confirm for us? Thanks!

I was wrong :mad:,
With WiFi off, Google Maps won't work.
CoPilot, which I just bought, will work w/o Phone service or WiFi.