Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Hot Deals (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Callaway Diablo Edge Irons - $208.99 and up w/FS - Rock Bottom Golf (http://slickdeals.net/f/5640160-callaway-diablo-edge-irons-208-99-and-up-w-fs-rock-bottom-golf)

sixers_610 12-04-2012 08:44 AM

Callaway Diablo Edge Irons - $208.99 and up w/FS - Rock Bottom Golf

2 Attachment(s)
Some other nice deals here too.

http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/feature1.html

$208.99 is after using coupon code "RockHead5Off"

yuugotserved 12-04-2012 08:44 AM

6-Piece Callaway Diablo Edge Irons Set (various models) from $209 + Free Shipping

1 Attachment(s)
Rock Bottom Golf has 6-Piece Callaway Diablo Edge Irons SET (Various Models) from from $219 - 5% with coupon code RockHead5Off = $208.99 + free shipping. Thanks sixers_610

bluewhackadoo 12-04-2012 09:09 AM

Looking to purchase a set for one of the kids in high school, anyone know the difference (if any) in the Diablo Edge vs. Diablo Edge R?

sixers_610 12-04-2012 09:11 AM

I believe they're virtually the same thing. The R may stand for "Re-Issue"

metalcoat 12-04-2012 01:50 PM

Tax in NY and VA but 12 warbird 2.0 balls with coupon WARBIRD

upoy 12-04-2012 02:14 PM

six pieces?

bluewhackadoo 12-04-2012 02:25 PM

Yes 6 pieces seems pretty light for the price compared to previous deals on these clubs.

castian 12-04-2012 02:33 PM

Good Catch

Quote:

Originally Posted by upoy (Post 55682150)
six pieces?

This is just average price for 6 of these clubs. Note that on GOLFSMITH [golfsmith.com]You get 8 Clubs. 4,5,6,7,8,9,PW,AW for $299. Very Comparable

The only thing I like about this is the Graphite Shafts are the same price. Typically they are more.

isingh 12-04-2012 02:39 PM

Just to put things in perspective, couple of months ago, I bought Brand New set of Callaway Golf Diablo Edge "R" Steel Irons 4-PW+AW, total 8 irons for $236, including shipping from GPPGOLF. My price was little higher than what people could get from ebay a week before that.

philbert0 12-04-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

six pieces?

that's fine if you want to use hybrids instead of 3, 4, and 5 irons.

Shawncey 12-04-2012 03:05 PM

Great clubs. I own them and love them. Very forgiving, perfect for a 15+ handicapper.

lettherebeme 12-04-2012 03:08 PM

Yes, this is the only difference between the two models. The R's were released this year I believe.

Keep in mind, the R's were sold for around $230 as an 8 piece set a few months ago, though someone else mentioned that these were graphite rather than steel shafts.

This set would be very nice for someone going into high school golf.

tykimson 12-04-2012 03:20 PM

Sorry for an off topic question but with all the golfer here i'd like to ask this question.
I am new to golf and want to take some golf lessons. I asked the golf instructor if I can take a 30 minutes lesson, spend 2 weeks to practice and then come back to take another lesson. He said that is ok if I want to but he highly recommend I take at least 2-3 lessons a week for couple weeks. What do you think? Is there any truth to what he said or he just want to squeeze more money out of me?

castian 12-04-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

six pieces?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tykimson (Post 55684222)
Sorry for an off topic question but with all the golfer here i'd like to ask this question.
I am new to golf and want to take some golf lessons. I asked the golf instructor if I can take a 30 minutes lesson, spend 2 weeks to practice and then come back to take another lesson. He said that is ok if I want to but he highly recommend I take at least 2-3 lessons a week for couple weeks. What do you think? Is there any truth to what he said or he just want to squeeze more money out of me?

Yes very off topic, however I would reccomend going to your local library and getting all the videos they have about becoming a better golfer. It will teach you the mechanics of your swing and good habits. Then practice those Habits for a few months while reviewing videos if needed. After that I might reccomend a few lessons just so someone can watch you swing.

OiiiOiiiOiiiO 12-04-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Depends on how often you will get out to the range. You definitely need some time to understand what he taught you and most importantly make sure your body gets the memory down. You need to see a diffidence after every lesson. Then go back. But if after 6+ trips to the range you still can't get it down, you are doing everything wrong :) go back and show him what you've learned. Let him make the corrections. Getting 2-3 lessons a week will make you overwhelmed and you will forget. You need to build your swing from the ground up. Step by step. I would think twice about this instructor if he insists on getting you 3 lessons a week. On the other hand if you can afford bi weekly lessons for a few months, by all means. Let him build your swing over the course of 30 lessons

isingh 12-04-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

I took those lessons. I kept them spaced by usually one week atleast, sometime more than 2-3 weeks. Usually these are nice people, you just need to tell them that you want to go slow. In my opinion, taking lessons are much more beneficial that watching all sorts of videos. Once you have got your grip and needs polishing then videos will make more sense.

Tmacuofi 12-04-2012 04:11 PM

Quote:

By spreading your lessons out, you could be practicing the incorrect mechanics for weeks, ingraining them into your muscle memory. This will make it more difficult to learn the correct mechanics. If you feel the back to back lessons becomes too much, you could start spreading them out further. If he's a good instructor, he won't overwhelm you with tons of new ideas during each lesson, but it will probably feel overwhelming if the game is brand new to you.

Of course, he's trying to make as much money as he can, but I do agree with what he told you.

brimorga 12-04-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixers_610 (Post 55668808)
Some other nice deals here too.

http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/feature1.html

$208.99 is after using coupon code "RockHead5Off"

+1 for the good deal. I must say though, if you have not checked out the Taylor Made RocketBallz irons, you are doing yourself a disservice. Played a round in Vegas and they were the rental set and they were amazing. Everything was going 10-15 yards further and even mishits were still pretty true. Very forgiving and very long. I have a set of Callaway x-18's I was very happy with until I played the Rocketballz. RockBottom golf does have one of the lowest prices I have seen on the Rocketballz, but they cost 2x of the set here, so you can't compare.

Check out some of the reviews, they are glowing about these clubs. Also, it is just fun to yell ROCKETBALLZZZZZZ!!! all the time as you clobber a 3 iron from 220 onto the green.

hotrod8008 12-04-2012 04:23 PM

I need a deal on some extra long clubs

Bayman48 12-04-2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

I would stick to lessons once a week, 2 to 3 times per week is sort of aggressive for the casual golfer, maybe if you had pro aspirations or something.

hughjaas 12-05-2012 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brimorga (Post 55685930)
Everything was going 10-15 yards further and even mishits were still pretty true. Very forgiving and very long. I have a set of Callaway x-18's I was very happy with until I played the Rocketballz. RockBottom golf does have one of the lowest prices I have seen on the Rocketballz, but they cost 2x of the set here, so you can't compare.

Check out some of the reviews, they are glowing about these clubs. Also, it is just fun to yell ROCKETBALLZZZZZZ!!! all the time as you clobber a 3 iron from 220 onto the green.

Not sure Rocketballz fall under this category, but the loft on some club sets are bent lower so it seems like you are hitting them further - when you think you are hitting a 9 you are actually hitting an 8. The iron number is just that - a number. There are no rules regulating what loft each club has to be. It's just paying 2x more for effective marketing.

NevesNET 12-05-2012 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluewhackadoo (Post 55682488)
Yes 6 pieces seems pretty light for the price compared to previous deals on these clubs.

Agreed. This isn't that great of a price.

etima 12-05-2012 12:38 AM

check on ebay they may have this deal through their ebay store. Tomorrow you get double cash back and if you use Discover you will get an additional 5% back. Good deal for some good clubs!

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotrod8008 (Post 55686032)

Get some Taylor Made Burners i don't know how much longer you need but they generally run about .5" longer than regular clubs. Worked perfect for me and im 6'4".

jackone 12-05-2012 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotrod8008 (Post 55686032)

The older adams a4 tech forged irons, they come as +1 length. Forged irons feel softer too.

Buckeyefan 1 12-05-2012 05:05 AM

6 irons doesn't round out your bag. Still leave a lot of clubs to purchase.

Nessism 12-05-2012 05:16 AM

These are excellent clubs. Callaway doesn't make junk. Rock Bottom sells 6, 7, & 8 piece sets. The 8 piece is $279. Not a Black Friday great price, but very fair.

These clubs fall into what's called the Super Game Improvement category. Basically, they are great for beginners, or people that just want as much help hitting the ball as possible. The stock Callaway shafts are medium-stiff, one size fits all. They are reasonable for most people except guys with a high swing speed. With a set like this you are going to want a what they call a AW, or gap wedge. Don't try to skip from PW to SW with these since there will be more than 10* between them.

Hope this helps someone and good luck

deald0 12-05-2012 06:05 AM

I bought these clubs a couple months ago, and they are great clubs! That being said, this is not a great deal. I got 8 clubs for $220 w/ FS. I can't believe they put this as a Front Page deal.

westau 12-05-2012 08:09 AM

This has no business being a front page deal. Average price at best.

Allout 12-05-2012 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deald0 (Post 55704674)
I bought these clubs a couple months ago, and they are great clubs! That being said, this is not a great deal. I got 8 clubs for $220 w/ FS. I can't believe they put this as a Front Page deal.

Agree - you can find better deals for a 4-PW + AW on EBay from reputable sellers.

Allout 12-05-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lettherebeme (Post 55683910)
Yes, this is the only difference between the two models. The R's were released this year I believe.

Keep in mind, the R's were sold for around $230 as an 8 piece set a few months ago, though someone else mentioned that these were graphite rather than steel shafts.

This set would be very nice for someone going into high school golf.

I purchased a set of Diablo Edge - R's a few months back and everything I could find said that they were the same. I just compared my set to an original Diablo Edge 6 iron and there are a few differences - not sure if they impact play at all though.

1) Original has the Callaway signature "Bore through" hozzle but the reissues do not
2) Both are listed as having Uniflex shafts but the reissues are made in China and have different stepping on them - more and tightly grouped mid-shaft
3) More refined machining around the hozzle on the originals vs reissues

I love these clubs - good for high handicap players. Don't expect to be able to work the ball a lot with these though.

Demonoid89 12-05-2012 03:36 PM

Price is so-so. I got this same set from GPPGOLF but with 4-AW (8 clubs) for $229.99 minus $25 in social media promotional credits. Was $215 shipped. Great set of sticks though for high handicappers.