Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Deal Talk (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Synology DS212J at Amazon for $180 (http://slickdeals.net/f/5641820-synology-ds212j-at-amazon-for-180)

coldfusioneer 12-04-2012 05:24 PM

Synology DS212J at Amazon for $180
 
65535 Attachment(s)
Amazon is selling this for $179.99. Same price as Newegg but Amazon is currently showing out of stock. They will ship it out when they receive new ones. Probably good deal for those who doesn't want to get from Newegg.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-li...dition=new

5% cashback from Discover Card = $9
Final total could be = 180-9 = $171

Donnie Dillsko 12-04-2012 05:45 PM

Why wouldn't one just want to buy from newegg?

lnx 12-04-2012 05:46 PM

Figures, I bought mine just over a week ago. When they weren't on sale for Black Friday I figured it would be a while until they dropped again. Great price and a great piece of hardware.

kappaknight 12-04-2012 05:47 PM

Hopefully this performs as well as its big brothers.

xerobull 12-04-2012 06:07 PM

Too late, Amazon. :)

lifexpert 12-04-2012 06:11 PM

Is this one better than the one newegg was selling earlier?

coldfusioneer 12-04-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lifexpert (Post 55689206)
Is this one better than the one newegg was selling earlier?

same price. Amazon is not shipping right away. I tried to order and it says it will ship after Dec 24th. :( I guess I'll wait for a FP deal. Lowest price found on SD is $170. Not sure if the $150 deal was a price mistake and folks got cancelled.

hanstoppable 12-04-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by linoox (Post 55689526)
Lowest price found on SD is $170. Not sure if the $150 deal was a price mistake and folks got cancelled.

Hai. The $150 orders got cancelled. At least mine did. Too good to be true. Still waiting for sub $180 pricing, mainly on principle. Stubborn.

lifexpert 12-04-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by linoox (Post 55689526)
same price. Amazon is not shipping right away. I tried to order and it says it will ship after Dec 24th. :( I guess I'll wait for a FP deal. Lowest price found on SD is $170. Not sure if the $150 deal was a price mistake and folks got cancelled.

213j is coming. no worries.

liusion 12-04-2012 07:47 PM

sorry if this is a little off-topic:

anyone have recommendations for 4-bay NAS?

bud22 12-04-2012 08:07 PM

Synology is awsome. The software and options alon are worth this price. I have this one and love it. I purchased the DS213 for 299 + tax

brp1264 12-04-2012 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liusion (Post 55692012)
sorry if this is a little off-topic:

anyone have recommendations for 4-bay NAS?


I picked up the DS-411+ a few years back and loaded it with 4x 1TB WD Black drives. It was expensive, but the ease of use, GUI, and performance are all well worth it. Things is absolutely amazing and I use it for:
  • VPN server when I'm away in countries in the middle east and asia
  • Streaming movies via UPNP/DLNA to my Partriot BoxOffice in my house
  • Storing all my data, with personal data in an encrypted partition
  • Hosting websites
  • FTP server for sharing files
  • Remote backup when I'm away from home
  • Printer sharing via its USB port
  • Download station to re-direct d/l links to it and have it automatically d/l them

Overall, it was a much better fit for me to have this NAS and drop $1000 (HDs are pricey) on it than get a desktop computer to perform these functions.

Prodeje79 12-04-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brp1264 (Post 55692846)
I picked up the DS-411+ a few years back and loaded it with 4x 1TB WD Black drives. It was expensive, but the ease of use, GUI, and performance are all well worth it. Things is absolutely amazing and I use it for:
  • VPN server when I'm away in countries in the middle east and asia
  • Streaming movies via UPNP/DLNA to my Partriot BoxOffice in my house
  • Storing all my data, with personal data in an encrypted partition
  • Hosting websites
  • FTP server for sharing files
  • Remote backup when I'm away from home
  • Printer sharing via its USB port
  • Download station to re-direct d/l links to it and have it automatically d/l them

Overall, it was a much better fit for me to have this NAS and drop $1000 (HDs are pricey) on it than get a desktop computer to perform these functions.

Are you able to stream 10gb 1080p mkv files?

character 12-04-2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prodeje79 (Post 55693084)
Are you able to stream 10gb 1080p mkv files?

I have no issues with streaming anything via wifi on this 212j model via xbmc or DLNA.

Cartier 12-04-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donnie Dillsko (Post 55688410)
Why wouldn't one just want to buy from newegg?

Newegg has tax for TN and NJ, that's what makes me prefer amazon.

Sportsaholic 12-04-2012 09:33 PM

Does this one run Plex without needing a desktop running 24 hours?

brp1264 12-06-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prodeje79 (Post 55693084)
Are you able to stream 10gb 1080p mkv files?

Yes, I am able to stream full-size 1080p rips (13+GB) with my setup. To be clear, both my Patriot PBO and the Synology DiskStation (and my PC) are hardwired via an 8-port Gigabit Ethernet switch. I have not tried to stream via WiFi, and suspect there would be issues as such.

When I copy a file to/from the NAS using my SSD on my PC, I can get 80+MB/sec easily. Basically I don't store much at all on my PC, and just read my music, movies, etc... from the NAS.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:26 AM.


1999-2014