Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Deal Talk (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Omega J8005 Nutrition Center Single-Gear Commercial Masticating Juicer (chrome/black) $160 with free shipping (http://slickdeals.net/f/5708132-omega-j8005-nutrition-center-single-gear-commercial-masticating-juicer-chrome-black-160-with-free-shipping)

Selma 12-16-2012 12:01 AM

Omega J8005 Nutrition Center Single-Gear Commercial Masticating Juicer (chrome/black) $160 with free shipping

Omega J8005

Direct LINK [amazon.com]

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=cs_top_nav_gb27

brisar 12-16-2012 12:01 AM

Omega J8005 Nutrition Center Single-Gear Commercial Masticating Juicer (chrome/black) $160 + Free Shipping

1 Attachment(s)
Amazon.com has Omega J8005 Nutrition Center Single-Gear Commercial Masticating Juicer (chrome/black) for $159.99 with free shipping. Thanks Selma

guptara 12-16-2012 12:22 AM

Amazon - Gold Box deal - 53% off on Omega J8005 Nutrition Center

1 Attachment(s)
Amazon Gold Box deal - 53% off on Omega J8005 Nutrition Center Single-Gear Commercial Masticating Juicer, Chrome and Black

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002OKD...1SY6SQSQP7

gtothep82 12-16-2012 12:28 AM

Hm, smokin' deal! I just paid $220 for the J8006 which is kind of the same juicer and that was an amazing deal. $160 for a J8005 is an even better deal IMO.

vviles 12-16-2012 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtothep82 (Post 56106248)
Hm, smokin' deal! I just paid $220 for the J8006 which is kind of the same juicer and that was an amazing deal. $160 for a J8005 is an even better deal IMO.

:iagree: great price!!

TrickyKid 12-16-2012 01:00 AM

I also ordered the J8006 today, but I'll be keeping that order. I think it might actually be worth the extra $48 to me. Better handle, harder auger that's black and won't stain, better baskets, and five more years on the warranty.

Dealmasterx 12-16-2012 01:25 AM

What a find. My wife has been wanting a nutribullet when you can get an actual juicer. I think this is going to blow her away.

Is there a website or book someone can suggest to give ideas on what and how to make things?

GunMan 12-16-2012 02:49 AM

How much is the cheapest reliable masticating juicer with a (stainless) steel auger?

catch22alex 12-16-2012 03:11 AM

thinking about returning my j8006 but can't tell a huge difference. is it just warranty and a few superficial pieces?

peppermint 12-16-2012 03:16 AM

Isnt it better to just eat the fruits and veggies than to drink their juice?

inVINCEbleME 12-16-2012 04:04 AM

ok be honest. who clicked this link and was disappointed in what the title actually said..

bobma 12-16-2012 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peppermint (Post 56108678)

you got it! plus you don't have to consume plastic.

double trouble with this model!!

satanslover 12-16-2012 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobma (Post 56109140)

You keep on posting that, but it just makes you sound a bit unhinged. You don't consume plastic when you use the jiucer and even if you did it's inert and wouldn't do a thing to you.

Quote:

No, it's actually not. The main thing you're missing out on is fibre, which of course is important, but the point is that it's impractical to chew as much veggies or fruits that would give you as much useful nutrients, as you can juice and drink.

Lanman 12-16-2012 04:49 AM

So, everyone that got in on yesterday's deal was just experiencing premature mastication?

saint. 12-16-2012 05:41 AM

bought one for a gift

saint. 12-16-2012 05:42 AM

thanks .

joegrinde 12-16-2012 05:53 AM

Can still cancel the J8006 order, is one clearly better than the other (this J0005 would be $54 less)
10 year vs 15 year warranty, either way it's a long time
any other clear winners?

GunMan 12-16-2012 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joegrinde (Post 56110248)
Can still cancel the J8006 order, is one clearly better than the other (this J0005 would be $54 less)
any other clear winners?

The auger on the J8006 is made of "8 times harder" plastic to be "more durable".
"More durable" should mean it wears less. Weating less means less plastic coming off the auger and going into frut (& plastic) drink. Will probably just stick with the 8006...

I am guessing that it you get the 8005 and during 10 years the softer auger wears out/too much during normal use, through no fault of yours, they would replace it for free?

GunMan 12-16-2012 06:17 AM

Very small feed on both... Anyone get sick of cutting the fruits so small and having to feed in so many individual pieces?

joegrinde 12-16-2012 06:17 AM

Thanks GunMan, one of the review pretty much states that; 5 years later they sent out a new for free.
Sounds like they're both solid machines with great service/warranty behind them

GunMan 12-16-2012 06:19 AM

Quote:

Some vegetables aren't all that fun to eat, especially in quantities. But, when you mix them with pineapples, apples, bananas, strawberries,...

plasnu 12-16-2012 06:30 AM

Ordered. Thanks.

GunMan 12-16-2012 06:33 AM

I'm seeing youtube videos that say that it doesn't deal that well soft fruits like nectarines and bananas that well, and they are better for use with a blender?

Also, saw one that said that you can make crackers by dehydratin the pulp. Anyone tried it?

pesto126 12-16-2012 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by satanslover (Post 56109172)
You keep on posting that, but it just makes you sound a bit unhinged. You don't consume plastic when you use the jiucer and even if you did it's inert and wouldn't do a thing to you.

No, it's actually not. The main thing you're missing out on is fibre, which of course is important, but the point is that it's impractical to chew as much veggies or fruits that would give you as much useful nutrients, as you can juice and drink.

Right on... try eating 3 pounds of spinach, 4 apples, 2 pounds of carrots and a lemon for lunch and see how long you go... now, try it in the juicer and enjoy living well for an afternoon.

Just keep in mind... although better than buying junk food... juicing can be expensive - especially organic juicing. 5 lbs of carrots can make a few cups of juice - I buy organic mini carrots at Costco which keeps the costs down..

To good health mate!

kovy 12-16-2012 06:46 AM

How ironic... I took a break from masticating just to read this thread... and now that I'm done reading, I return from whence I came.

firemedic1343 12-16-2012 06:47 AM

Quote:

It's better to do both. You'll get far more fruits and veggies by juicing, but you'll get that important pulp by also eating whole fruits and veggies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrickyKid (Post 56106710)
I also ordered the J8006 today, but I'll be keeping that order. I think it might actually be worth the extra $48 to me. Better handle, harder auger that's black and won't stain, better baskets, and five more years on the warranty.

I noticed the "to me" after you noted the $48 worth. Indeed, I agree, it may be worth that to many people. It would be a hard choice, since back in 2011 when I ordered it was a far greater difference. I went with the model in the OP, mainly because of the great warranty and I believed I'd find any problems in that time, also, in 10 years I'd probably be ready for an upgrade, assuming there is some new tech by then(which there very well may not be).

Quote:

Originally Posted by joegrinde (Post 56110248)
any other clear winners?

You can't go wrong either way IMHO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GunMan (Post 56110510)
The auger on the J8006 is made of "8 times harder" plastic to be "more durable".
"More durable" should mean it wears less. Weating less means less plastic coming off the auger and going into frut (& plastic) drink. Will probably just stick with the 8006...

I am guessing that it you get the 8005 and during 10 years the softer auger wears out/too much during normal use, through no fault of yours, they would replace it for free?

If you notice the auger has abrasions or missing chunks that could be scary. But with either model, I recommend inspecting the pieces before and after each use.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joegrinde (Post 56110540)
Thanks GunMan, one of the review pretty much states that; 5 years later they sent out a new for free.
Sounds like they're both solid machines with great service/warranty behind them

Many similar reports, they are supposed to be a great company to deal with that backs up their products.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GunMan (Post 56110576)
Some vegetables aren't all that fun to eat, especially in quantities. But, when you mix them with pineapples, apples, bananas, strawberries,...

Agreed. However, when it's in juice form I can shoot a glass full of just about any kind of juice without any problem. I reserve the sweets for the thicker smoothies I make in the vitamix, which take a while to swallow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GunMan (Post 56110784)
I'm seeing youtube videos that say that it doesn't deal that well soft fruits like nectarines and bananas that well, and they are better for use with a blender?

Also, saw one that said that you can make crackers by dehydratin the pulp. Anyone tried it?

Interesting idea on the crackers, I know we have used it in baking. I think I'll have to research that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pesto126 (Post 56110936)
Right on... try eating 3 pounds of spinach, 4 apples, 2 pounds of carrots and a lemon for lunch and see how long you go... now, try it in the juicer and enjoy living well for an afternoon.

Just keep in mind... although better than buying junk food... juicing can be expensive - especially organic juicing. 5 lbs of carrots can make a few cups of juice - I buy organic mini carrots at Costco which keeps the costs down..

To good health mate!

Costco certainly helps. My wife also frequents a few vegetable/fruit stores. You gotta shop around, bc it does get costly.

firemedic1343 12-16-2012 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GunMan (Post 56110536)
Very small feed on both... Anyone get sick of cutting the fruits so small and having to feed in so many individual pieces?

Not yet. It only takes a few seconds to prep. Especially if it's a 2 man op.

GunMan 12-16-2012 07:02 AM

This amazon review: http://www.amazon.com/review/R1JY...hisHelpful
claims:

"It takes me a good 10-15 min. to juice two bunches of parsley and one bunch of kale, excluding clean-up, simply because you have to cautiously feed each item or risk a jam. The amount of juice produced is under 4 oz., enough green juice for one person. If I had to spend 10-15 min. juicing for each person (not including cleanup) in my household, that's a good 45 min. of juicing time plus cleanup."

Does this sound legit?

GunMan 12-16-2012 07:07 AM

So, I'm seeing claims that a centrifugul juicer is faster and "better" (excluding concerns for potential effect of the higher speed on nutritional value) for most things excluding greens, which it cannot extract efficiently and a masticating juicer is much better at juicing greens but not as good for the other stuff and a masticating juicer adds more heat during the juicing process? Is this about right?

Do the 8005/8006 juicers process carrots, bananas, strawberries, pineapples, blueberries, rasberries at least adequately or better?

GunMan 12-16-2012 07:14 AM

I guess my other question is: Is there a list of vegetables and fruit that this machine is not recommended for?

qwertyuio 12-16-2012 07:14 AM

How does this compared to the Breville 800JEXL Juice Fountain Elite?
I saw one of the review where the reviewer rated the Breville mush higher but I am not sure if it is legit. Just want to confirm with SDers who are familiar wit hboth models. Thanks.

AirJames 12-16-2012 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GunMan (Post 56110576)

Quote:

Originally Posted by GunMan (Post 56111310)
claims:

"It takes me a good 10-15 min. to juice two bunches of parsley and one bunch of kale, excluding clean-up, simply because you have to cautiously feed each item or risk a jam. The amount of juice produced is under 4 oz., enough green juice for one person. If I had to spend 10-15 min. juicing for each person (not including cleanup) in my household, that's a good 45 min. of juicing time plus cleanup."

Does this sound legit?

I admit that I bought this juicer with plans on using it often to be healthier because it did take a while for me to learn things I wish I knew now which tainted my initial experiences. It does have a small chute, filter jamming and cleanup mess. There are some nuances to juicing with this juicer that will cut time and disappointment and you should follow these tips(I'm sure there are more) to really make your juicing experience much more fun.
  1. Get fruits without seeds (no blackberries, raspberries, strawberries) and no gunky stuff like potatoes that will jam the filter.
  2. Prep ALL stuff beforehand, then feed. Don't worry about seeds, cores, roots and skins during prep.
  3. Cut all items to less than chute width to allow things to go down to not have to use plunger and add more work.
  4. Build a larger funnel because the one they have does not drop items into the chute and will build up so you have to manually shove them in..
  5. Dunk all items in soap water immediately after juicing to avoid longer cleanup time.

I think once you've learned to streamline the process, it is much more fun and makes this juicer the best you can buy. It does take work at first but once you get good, it's easy... and will be well worth it. You WILL notice a difference in health benefits almost immediately. Sports performance is guaranteed.

horatio_underpa 12-16-2012 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AirJames (Post 56111590)
I admit that I bought this juicer with plans on using it often to be healthier because it did take a while for me to learn things I wish I knew now which tainted my initial experiences. It does have a small chute, filter jamming and cleanup mess. There are some nuances to juicing with this juicer that will cut time and disappointment and you should follow these tips(I'm sure there are more) to really make your juicing experience much more fun.

Good stuff, thanks.

I currently throw whatever I want into a blender and drink the results. Fruit, powder, vegetables etc make a great smoothie. Only takes a few minutes, I'm trying to figure out how this is different / better?

GunMan 12-16-2012 07:34 AM

No strawberries and rasberries? I guess I could put those though my blender and add them to the final product...

GunMan 12-16-2012 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horatio_underpa (Post 56111850)
Good stuff, thanks.

I currently throw whatever I want into a blender and drink the results. Fruit, powder, vegetables etc make a great smoothie. Only takes a few minutes, I'm trying to figure out how this is different / better?

My GUESS is that if you are fine with all the pulp, then this probably would not be better for you and you are also getting much more fiber currently.

This would probably only be better for you if you wanted to extract the juice from a larger quantity (for probably more vitamins) or have a latent aversion for pulp that you aren't yet aware of.:lol:

GunMan 12-16-2012 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horatio_underpa (Post 56111850)
Good stuff, thanks.

Do you use vegetables like cellery, spinach, or other greens?

milletar 12-16-2012 07:46 AM

Some may find this youtube video helpful. There's a brief comparison of the j8005 and j8006, and a demonstration showing assembly, use and cleaning of the j8006.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r437hboI_U

araif1 12-16-2012 07:47 AM

While I use an omega vert350hd instead of this one I have a few tips that I believe will still apply to this model.

- quickly prep fruits and veggies before putting them in the juicer. I breakup big leafy greens into smaller chunks and quickly cut apples and carrots into pieces that will easily fit in the chute.

- try to cycle through produce that you're juicing. for instance if I'm juicing a lot of greens i'll sneak a few pieces of carrot or apple in between handfuls of greens to keep the machine from getting clogged on all that plant fiber. also if I'm juicing celery i break the stalk into 1" pieces so the long stringy fiber doesn't clog the machine. this isn't necessary, but it will drastically decrease your cleanup time and improve the efficiency of the machine so I highly recommend experimenting.

- save a few pieces of harder produce to end with. doing so will also help clean out the remainder of the pulp and make sure all the soft mushy stuff gets pushed through and juiced thoroughly.

- clean the machine right away and the extra pulp rinses out much more easily.

LogHead116 12-16-2012 07:50 AM

Quote:

To good health mate!

So for one drink you need that much fruit/veg? (3 pounds of spinach, 4 apples, and 2 pounds of carrots)

I can see how this would be quite expensive.

GunMan 12-16-2012 07:50 AM

Anyone HATE this or returned it and just went back to using a blender?

huffbanger 12-16-2012 07:52 AM

We have the 8006 and like it. This type of juicer is not as fast as a centrifugal, but it preserves the enzymes and nutrients better because of the slow speed. If your juicing greens (wheat grass/kale) I would go with this. If you mainly juice fruits I would go with a centrifugal. This may juice slower than a centrifugal, but it is easier to clean.

GunMan 12-16-2012 07:54 AM

Damn I wish I weren't so afraid of plastic, would save and go with the 8005. Plastic grinds/chips in particular are probably completely harmless probably passing through the body undigested.
Wishi knew of a cheap and good one wiht a steel auger and steel screen.

araif1 12-16-2012 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LogHead116 (Post 56112184)
So for one drink you need that much fruit/veg? (3 pounds of spinach, 4 apples, and 2 pounds of carrots) I can see how this would be quite expensive.

with the omega vert350hd that would make a lot of juice and I'm sure it would with this model as well. I think his point was more that you can consume a large quantity of nutrient rich produce very easily by juicing it as opposed to trying to eat a massive 8lb salad. lol. I personally like to eat fruits and veggies so I continue to eat a lot of them with my meals and use the juice as a healthy treat. there are days when I'm rushing and it will be my breakfast. you'd be surprised how filling a green juice can be. keeps you going a lot longer than a bowl of cereal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GunMan (Post 56112190)

I doubt you'd want to blend the stuff you can juice with this. you'd end up with an incredibly thick puree of fruits and vegetables instead of a smooth delicious juice...

firemedic1343 12-16-2012 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GunMan (Post 56112190)

I have an Omega and a Vitamix. Because I like having the right tool for the right job.

horatio_underpa 12-16-2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GunMan (Post 56112028)

Mainly broccoli & kale. Tried celery, it's ok in small quantities.

Cauliflower didn't taste so good. But chocolate protein powder masks the taste of most things. :)

Pitcom 12-16-2012 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GunMan (Post 56112028)

I juice about 1 pound of spinach in my J8006 every say. I also juice a mixture of kale and chard. This machine does a wonderful job of juicing leafy greens. As others have pointed out, after a few hand fulls of spinach or other leafy material, its best to put in a large piece of carrot to push all of that fiber through. Beets also work very well pushing through the softer items. I also juice lots of cucumbers in this machine and they do not clog or get stuck in the machine whatsoever. I would tell anyone who buys this machine, to seriously consider having carrots handy at all times. The carrot is your "go to vegetable" to keep the omega juicers running fluidly. Sometimes I will juice 48 ounces of juice in one sitting without any problems whatsoever.

chumpsky2010 12-16-2012 08:38 AM

Here is my dilemma: When I watch these videos on the Omega juicer and others, I see sooo much pulp being lost....

And yet, with a blender, it would be just too pulpy to make anything with lots of greens.

So my question is this, is there a machine that's sort of a happy medium between the two?

Maybe a juicer that will leave some more pulp in the drink? I would like to have some of those lost nutrients/fiber in my drink....

Anyone else feel the same way as me?

exhurt 12-16-2012 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chumpsky2010 (Post 56113234)
Here is my dilemma: When I watch these videos on the Omega juicer and others, I see sooo much pulp being lost....

And yet, with a blender, it would be just too pulpy to make anything with lots of greens.

So my question is this, is there a machine that's sort of a happy medium between the two?

Maybe a juicer that will leave some more pulp in the drink? I would like to have some of those lost nutrients/fiber in my drink....

This seems like the perfect machine for you. If you want more pulp, then don't put the strainer above the container that collects the juice. If you want more juice and less pulp, put the strainer on.

omz 12-16-2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobma (Post 56109140)

do some research about juicing. juicing is very important to good health.

GunMan 12-16-2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Take some of the pulp and mix it back in. Add a little bit at a time until you learn what your tolerance threashold is. :D

spurs 12-16-2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

Haha, LOL, we are getting lazier... And unhealthier...bypass the enzymes in salivary by drinking juice

Visualize 12-16-2012 08:56 AM

Someone please help, I ordered the J8006 ( http://slickdeals.net/f/5702994-Omega-Masticating-Juicer-209-Amazon ) last night, is it worth the extra $50 or should I just cancel and order this one ?

barnz008 12-16-2012 09:08 AM

Wow, Omega is really pushing these babies over the holidays.

himarty 12-16-2012 09:11 AM

Quote:

It depends. For sick, overweight or on medications, juicing is better because you get a lot more nutrients from juicing. It is easier to consume 4 glasses of juice a day vs 4 plates of veggies a day.

Personally I prefer raw and cooking [drfuhrman.com] for maintaining health.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaNola (Post 56107272)
Is there a website or book someone can suggest to give ideas on what and how to make things?

drfuhrman.com
[drfuhrman.com] books: Super Immunity [amazon.com], Eat to Live [amazon.com] (see deal), etc.

Aggregate Nutrient Density Index (ANDI) score is a good place to start. Generally speaking, sick, overweight or on medications go for the highest score with a little of the other item to improve taste. Once immune system and weight improve, they get some of the other items such as nuts and avocado (fat). For normal-weight people fat from fruits and nuts is good and should not be avoided.

Quote:

To good health mate!

It does not have to be expensive. I focus on whatever is on sale during the week and stock up so they last for 2-3 weeks. This way you get a mix from a rolling 2-3 week selling period.

If I was sick, overweight or on meds it is expensive early on because of the focus on high ANDI regardless of price. But that is just for the first few weeks or months (however long it takes to recover). I think at $14 per day like in fatsickandnearlydead.com [fatsickandnearlydead.com] it is worth it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GunMan (Post 56111310)
claims:

Does this sound legit?

Clean up is a breeze but it does take longer to juice, plus a few more minutes if you want to rejuice to get more out of the pulp. This is like preparing a meal, which also take time; and you can drink it in lieu of a meal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GunMan (Post 56111406)
So, I'm seeing claims that a centrifugul juicer is faster and "better" (excluding concerns for potential effect of the higher speed on nutritional value) for most things excluding greens, which it cannot extract efficiently and a masticating juicer is much better at juicing greens but not as good for the other stuff and a masticating juicer adds more heat during the juicing process? Is this about right?

Do the 8005/8006 juicers process carrots, bananas, strawberries, pineapples, blueberries, rasberries at least adequately or better?

Masticating is better for greens (you get more juice). Although slower than centrifugal, they pack and retain more nutrients. When you cut a vegetable with a knife, it slowly loses nutrients, so you want to consume it within a short time. How fast depends on what you are cutting, for example I think onions are immediate, hence they are better for cooking whole to increase its benefits. With a masticating you have more time to consume it than centrifugal (again, depends on what you are juicing).

Quote:

Originally Posted by firemedic1343 (Post 56112734)
I have an Omega and a Vitamix. Because I like having the right tool for the right job.

Very common to have both. A few go further and add a dehydrator [amazon.com].

Quote:

Great question. I was trying to come up with the ultimate list, because the information is all over the place (one example [blendhappy.com]).

The most comprehensive list I have come up with for the pulp: You can put the fiber back in the juice or use it in soup, cake, sauce, dressing/strews, feed the pet, compost or as GunMan said, dehydrate into crackers.

Does it answer the question?

barnz008 12-16-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Buy a Norwalk for like $2000. I'm sure you'll achieve nirvana.

Why people buy a juicer and then want pulp in it is beyond me. The whole point is to pull the nutrients from the plant cells without damaging them leaving the fiber behind. The dryer the pulp, the better the juicer.

It's funny how a very common reaction to those who drink fresh juice for the first time is to run to the bathroom 5 min later. No fiber. No bulk to help evacuate the bowel. What? How is this possible! ;)

GunMan 12-16-2012 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by himarty (Post 56113990)
dehydrate into crackers.

I guess I would need a dehydrator? Or can that be done with an oven?
I think the youtube video mentioned sprinkling some little seed or maybe nuts on top of the cackers.

himarty 12-16-2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barnz008 (Post 56114114)
Why people buy a juicer and then want pulp in it is beyond me.

Maybe because the juicer (a) breaks it down further (b) gives the option of adding the "right" amount of pulp. Also (c) a top line juicer is cheaper than a top line mixer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GunMan (Post 56114194)
I guess I would need a dehydrator? Or can that be done with an oven?
I think the youtube video mentioned sprinkling some little seed or maybe nuts on top of the cackers.

It is the first time I heard it so thanks and repped!

Dehydrator is good for maintaining nutrients. For example, if you like mango and they are only on sale during a particular time of year, dehydrate them for later use. Same goes if you have a garden and can only grow during a certain time. It is also good for snacks.

If you do not already have one (for other uses) than baking makes more sense.

barnz008 12-16-2012 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by himarty (Post 56114552)
Maybe because the juicer (a) breaks it down further (b) gives the option of adding the "right" amount of pulp.

As far as the function of the juicer is concerned, the "right" amount of pulp is zero. If there's pulp in your juice, you're not juicing. And if there's juice in your pulp, you're also not juicing. A Norwalk basically produces sawdust pulp. At a cost, yes.

If you prefer a little pulp in your juice, well that's a different story.

Omega masticators do a fairly good job, but certainly not the best. Their ultimate value is in their ability to chew all kinds of stuff, not only as a pulp and juice separator. I'm talking grinding grain to make meal/flour, nuts to make nut butters, meat, coffee beans, whatever.

If you want to blend, then blend. Trust me, I have all the tools; juicer, Vitamix, dehydrator, etc. If they all did the same thing and provided the same benefits, I have no reason to own them all.

TheeeGod 12-16-2012 10:10 AM

J8006 for $210 versus J8005 for 160

Can any juicing gurus comment on which one to get and why? Thanks.

jaksiemas40 12-16-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by satanslover (Post 56109172)

increased surface area to chew and indulge in the fruits and veg

milletar 12-16-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barnz008 (Post 56115064)
. Their ultimate value is in their ability to chew all kinds of stuff, not only as a pulp and juice separator. I'm talking grinding grain to make meal/flour, nuts to make nut butters, meat, coffee beans, whatever.

Really? People put meat through a juicer? This thing works as a meat grinder?

TrickyKid 12-16-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milletar (Post 56116322)

Yes, these come with 6 different end caps for grinding your own meat or mincing salsa or making pasta, etc.

Tosunum 12-16-2012 11:44 AM

After going through some of the reviews and videos I decided to stick with 8006 since I will be mostly using it to make some nut butter.

I'm still skeptical about all the fiber lost but I'll try to take them by different means (as in making crackers etc like told here)

stephan949 12-16-2012 12:22 PM

8006 vs 8005

Went with the 8005 for $50 less. Dont think the black plastic and 5 years more warranty is worth the extrea $50

coupwn 12-16-2012 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spurs (Post 56113590)
Haha, LOL, we are getting lazier... And unhealthier...bypass the enzymes in salivary by drinking juice

Not sure about you, but there's no way I'm eating a huge plate of raw collards and spinach for breakfeast...but in a juice with some apple and ginger its a tasty and very healthy breakfast.

barnz008 12-16-2012 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milletar (Post 56116322)

Kind of. It's about as good of a meat grinder as a real meat grinder is a juicer. It will work in a flash if you want to chew something down. The gap between the auger and the cone is only a mm or so, so it's more like slow churn puree.

We used it a lot to make baby food for my son. I'd add cooked liver in between handfulls of peas and squash. :D

If you want to make nut better just be aware that you're probably going to have to add some oil back to the final product. So for peanuts, have some peanut oil handy. You get the idea.

kevbox 12-16-2012 12:42 PM

thanks and repped. went with the 8005, reviews on it are outstanding, a 10 year warranty is also no joke.

jmills616 12-16-2012 01:04 PM

I'm sticking with the 8006. It's harder and lasts longer. ;)

craezie 12-16-2012 01:34 PM

I've had this juicer for about 2 years, and I can't say that I would buy it again. My mom has a champion, and I have tried them side by side. While they work in the same way, hers will extract almost double the juice from the same vegetables or fruits (things like carrots, beets, apples) I have to re-feed the pulp to extract more juice, otherwise I'm just wasting veggies. Hers will do a decent job on oranges and soft fruits, and mine won't at all. The screen just gums up. The only thing mine juices better is greens. So if you are into green juice -- spinach, wheatgrass, and the like, then this is the juicer for you. Otherwise, I'd look elsewhere.

Also, like others said, it takes FOREVER to feed things through, and they must be in small pieces.

MadPup 12-16-2012 01:43 PM

I've watched YouTube videos on this thing, and it looks like a real PITA to use. I'm not sure how they consider this as "commercial" because no business would survive if they had to spend all day operating this. This is one rare occasion that I totally disagree with the Amazon reviews.

gcb922 12-16-2012 02:26 PM

For people concerned with juicing softer fruits (banana / peaches / berries / etc) -

Don't 'juice' them, freeze them and make a sorbet. Eat the sorbet as-is or add your juice to it and have a nice cool fruit/veggy juice.

video: http://omega8006guide.com/how-to-...bet-video/

dTor 12-16-2012 02:30 PM

wow - amazing timing on this deal. My wife just told me yesterday that she wanted a juicer for Christmas. Totally out of the blue.... she's been reading on the benefits of juicing. For this quality of a juicer at an entry-level price, I could not turn it down.

wills916 12-16-2012 04:37 PM

I was just about to buy this thing after reading this whole thread and the reviews and now its sold out. arghh

BiancaB 12-16-2012 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wills916 (Post 56124868)
I was just about to buy this thing after reading this whole thread and the reviews and now its sold out. arghh

me too
:D
waiting for the next deal....

andchef 12-16-2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmills616 (Post 56119354)
I'm sticking with the 8006. It's harder and lasts longer. ;)

That's what she said.

jonesenberg 12-16-2012 11:09 PM

Great price on a very high quality juicer. Ignore idiots in thread...

eydaimon 12-16-2012 11:46 PM

How long are these deals valid ?I thought they were good until end of day. Looks like it's over before.

scottman 12-16-2012 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eydaimon (Post 56137266)
How long are these deals valid ?I thought they were good until end of day. Looks like it's over before.

...or until it sells out. They can't sell more than they have in stock.

eydaimon 12-16-2012 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottman (Post 56137374)
...or until it sells out. They can't sell more than they have in stock.

Says they have 14 in stock, and it was 15 mins until midnight :( I couldn't get it earlier for complicated reasons. I was hoping it would still be good

scottman 12-16-2012 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eydaimon (Post 56137430)
Says they have 14 in stock, and it was 15 mins until midnight :( I couldn't get it earlier for complicated reasons. I was hoping it would still be good

Has to be "sold by amazon". All the current listings including the 14 you mentioned are sold by other sellers.

eydaimon 12-17-2012 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottman (Post 56137514)
Has to be "sold by amazon". All the current listings including the 14 you mentioned are sold by other sellers.

Doh, I didn't notice. thank you for explaining.

sdslick 12-17-2012 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaNola (Post 56107272)

There are many recipes online. But I don't really follow them. This is what I do. I buy a bunch of veggies that I know are healthy and a few fruits I like to drink as juice. For example, broccoli, kale, spinach and Mango and oranges. I juice them in about equal parts veggies to fruit. And voila I have a healthy mango/orange juice. The trick is that with about half fruit juice or maybe less, you don't really taste the veggies!

I do have an issue with soft fruits like blueberries. They get stuck and make a mess. The manual says to mix in hard and soft to avoid this issue. But I havent gotten it to work well yet. Can anyone confirm juicing soft things like blueberries?

RVD26 12-24-2012 12:56 PM

Anybody have any cleaning instructions/tips for this thing?
We just used it for the 1st time today and we are having problems getting all the vegetable/fruit pieces out.

*Never mind, figured it out*