Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Hot Deals (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   The MiniDrive (Nifty competitor) (flush SD adapter for Macbooks) - $6 (if funded) (http://slickdeals.net/f/5726972-the-minidrive-nifty-competitor-flush-sd-adapter-for-macbooks-6-if-funded)

veejl 12-20-2012 08:27 AM

The MiniDrive (Nifty competitor) (flush SD adapter for Macbooks) - $6 (if funded)

5 Attachment(s)
http://www.indiegogo.com/TheMiniDrive
The MiniDrive sits flush and fits securely into the SD slot of all modern (2010+) MacBook computers.

WITHOUT THE MINIDRIVE:
If you just stick any old SD card into your MacBook slot to add storage, it's going to stick out of your computer. That is not something viable for a device that's thrown into your MacBook case or backpack. It will get broken...

It's a knockoff of the Nifty drive. But this is much more barebones and as such cheaper. If you don't know about the Nifty drive (http://www.kickstarter.com/projec...-minidrive, http://theniftyminidrive.com)

Its $6 via Indiegogo.com. Campaign ends in 11 days. If it gets funded, you get a $6 MiniDrive. If they don't reach the goal, you get your money back. Seems like a win-win situation to me...

If you want one asap - they have stores on Amazon and eBay (roughly $20 on those sites, Amazon slightly cheaper)

151max 12-20-2012 08:52 AM

Yep. $6 sounds reasonable for what this (& niftydrive) is: a micro SD adapter.

norse2 12-20-2012 09:57 AM

I can not understand why this got any thumbs down votes. There are no comments here (or on other sites) to justify the negatives. I am in for one for my Macbook Air. The no risk crowd-sourcing model makes this a simple choice.

veejl 12-20-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norse2 (Post 56255508)
I can not understand why this got any thumbs down votes. There are no comments here (or on other sites) to justify the negatives. I am in for one for my Macbook Air. The no risk crowd-sourcing model makes this a simple choice.

my sentiments exactly! I was hoping SD would give this the boost it needs to actually get funded.

supaflydude 12-20-2012 11:16 AM

This is awesome! In for 1

a.b 12-20-2012 01:05 PM

Ordered one, that's exactly what I'm looking for! Not sure how to extract this piece from the laptop :) Hopefully it wouldn't be an issue.

Chi-YanC 12-20-2012 01:16 PM

I have not used kickstarter or indiegogo before.

If I made the contribution (donation), and they meet their $6000 goal, what prevents these people from running away with our money -- without sending us our "perks"?

k-y 12-20-2012 02:53 PM

Online reputation is the only thing that is preventing crooks from running away with your money. Kickstarter is an investment vehicle and the perks are what you get if the investment pans out. It's not a guarantee on a product like you would expect from an online retailer.

I "invested" in the Zeyez project and don't expect to see those glasses ever shipped to me.

purple 12-20-2012 03:03 PM

I am in for 1 too. Hopefully they receive enough funding and we get something back :)

skizo 12-21-2012 01:14 AM

Thanks OP! This is a fair-priced alternative and I hope it's successful; now to keep an eye out on 64GB microSD card deals...

cubbyw86 12-21-2012 04:48 AM

hmm OP , is there any other difference beside how Nifty looks? How can Nifty charge 35 dollars while minidrive only charges 6?

jimh 12-21-2012 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k-y (Post 56264958)
Online reputation is the only thing that is preventing crooks from running away with your money. Kickstarter is an investment vehicle and the perks are what you get if the investment pans out. It's not a guarantee on a product like you would expect from an online retailer.

I "invested" in the Zeyez project and don't expect to see those glasses ever shipped to me.

I also got burnt on Zeyes. It has turned me off of Kickstarter altogether.

veejl 12-21-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubbyw86 (Post 56279350)
hmm OP , is there any other difference beside how Nifty looks? How can Nifty charge 35 dollars while minidrive only charges 6?

I think its just looks. Like having it with a metal edge that sits flush, vs this being just a flimsy plastic adapter.

If you want to go cheaper, you could by a microSD to TF/USB adapter for $2-3 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Practical...4cfc4d4ebd), and then try and shave off the edge. Which I imagine this guy did originally based on how it looks. But I was reading forum posts on doing that, and some people were reporting that if you shaved too much the whole thing would fail. If this actually works as he advertised, its worth the extra IMO. If the campaign fails however, I'll prolly do the eBay DIY route.

cubbyw86 12-21-2012 11:24 AM

OP Delivers

Quote:

Originally Posted by veejl (Post 56287000)
I think its just looks. Like having it with a metal edge that sits flush, vs this being just a flimsy plastic adapter.

If you want to go cheaper, you could by a microSD to TF/USB adapter for $2-3 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Practical...4cfc4d4ebd), and then try and shave off the edge. Which I imagine this guy did originally based on how it looks. But I was reading forum posts on doing that, and some people were reporting that if you shaved too much the whole thing would fail. If this actually works as he advertised, its worth the extra IMO. If the campaign fails however, I'll prolly do the eBay DIY route.

Wow OP delivers! TY. Hmm I agree. I am in for two @$6 minidrive's indiegogo campaign. At that price , it cost- effective for me to buy a working minidrive than experimenting with a DIY. I hope they get funded.

caljr 12-21-2012 11:31 AM

Hmmm... looks kind of like the current Raspberry Pi low profile SD adapter.

http://adafruit.com/products/966

Might be interested if it fits better than the one on Adafruit. That one is really tight and hard to get out if you have it in an enclosure.

errdayallday 12-21-2012 12:10 PM

not worth it

cubbyw86 12-21-2012 12:14 PM

Good Find, but sold out

Quote:

Originally Posted by caljr (Post 56289602)
Hmmm... looks kind of like the current Raspberry Pi low profile SD adapter.

http://adafruit.com/products/966

Might be interested if it fits better than the one on Adafruit. That one is really tight and hard to get out if you have it in an enclosure.

Nice find! , I wonder if it fits well into my MBP. Too bad it is sold out. I would have definitely brought one to mess around with at $6. The Raspberry Pi low profile looks like what Nifty minidrive base their model off of. It just looks too similar with a different enclosure.

I wish raspberry pi low profile SD adapter wasn't sold out :(

Royal2000H 12-21-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norse2 (Post 56255508)

How is it no-risk?
If they reach their campaign goal, they can disappear with your money. The only 'no-risk' is them not getting money if they don't get to the campaign goal.

sizzlenizz 12-21-2012 12:24 PM

so with current market microSD capacities, this miniDrive will only allow me to add an extra 64gb of capacity to my computer? with slower transfer speeds than my internal SATA HDD (and SSD for that matter)?

Assuming I have a macbook pro with > 500GB, i don't see the benefit of this product
Assuming i had a macbook air...SSD with about 128GB capacity, I guess adding another 64gb (at a slower transfer rate) would be attractive.

sizzlenizz 12-21-2012 12:28 PM

so with current market microSD capacities, this miniDrive will only allow me to add an extra 64gb of capacity to my machine? with slower transfer speeds than my internal SATA HDD (and SSD for that matter)?

Assuming I have a macbook pro with > 500GB, i don't see the benefit of this product
Assuming i had a macbook air...SSD with about 128GB capacity, I guess adding another 64gb (at a slower transfer rate) would be attractive @ $6 + cost of SDcard (~$50). about $56 total to add 64gb capacity to my machine. I should note that 1tb external SATA HDD's go for about $60 these days.
Albeit, the external HDD won't fit flush in your laptop and look pretty.

Platin465 12-21-2012 12:31 PM

Couldn't we just buy this:

used parts from eBay [ebay.com]

and cut off the USB like he obviously did? Sure, his final product may (hopefully) be a part he will be having made without the USB part. But hey, we are slickdeals! And $2 is slicker than $6.

sizzlenizz 12-21-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Platin465 (Post 56291380)
Couldn't we just buy this:

used parts from eBay [ebay.com]

and cut off the USB like he obviously did? Sure, his final product may (hopefully) be a part he will be having made without the USB part. But hey, we are slickdeals! And $2 is slicker than $6.

yeh, precisely. I don't believe in the future of this 'MiniDrive'. You can't just make shit look pretty/colorful and suggest you've got a 'new/innovative' product.

cubbyw86 12-21-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royal2000H (Post 56291056)
How is it no-risk?
If they reach their campaign goal, they can disappear with your money. The only 'no-risk' is them not getting money if they don't get to the campaign goal.

Wow , I didn't know kickstater / indiegogo was like that. Well this is just a FYI , not endorsing anything , theminidrive [theminidrive.com] are already selling on ebay & amazon for instant shipment. So i think they are producing already.

I hope nifty minidrive give out what they promise on kickstarter. As with any start-up it is tough to ramp up high production.

sizzlenizz 12-21-2012 01:01 PM

I wonder if future generation macbooks will have the SD slot; i hope it does not become obsolete.

For example, the retina macbook no longer features a CD/DVD player; as CD's have become rather obsolete.

kkiran 12-21-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sizzlenizz (Post 56292236)
I wonder if future generation macbooks will have the SD slot; i hope it does not become obsolete.

For example, the retina macbook no longer features a CD/DVD player; as CD's have become rather obsolete.

Flash won't be obsolete anytime soon and SD cards for cameras are here to stay for a little longer!

rickrone 12-21-2012 01:39 PM

selling for $20 on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nifty-Min...3f2007162f

buy it for 1.95 w/ free shipping
just cut of the end to make it flush

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280973271...ID=1225267

Fry-kun 12-21-2012 01:42 PM

If you can afford a microSD card, you can also afford a regular-sized SD one of the same size -- and chop off the excess. See http://hackaday.com/2012/11/22/ha...-slashed1/
If you do this, make sure to check the size of the internal PCB before you cut it!

sizzlenizz 12-21-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkiran (Post 56292890)
Flash won't be obsolete anytime soon and SD cards for cameras are here to stay for a little longer!

mm that is true; i don't know of any other small form factor flash devices that can currently replace SD. And you're right, SD slot on cameras has become commonplace now, thus Apple should support the SD slot for that reason alone.

But, i should note that the SD slot uses the most real estate on the macbook Retina (when compared to Tbolt, USB, magPower, HDMI), thus it is an area to look at in the future (for apple engineers).

webhappy 12-21-2012 01:44 PM

Stuff like this should not be posted on slickdeals. This is an investment opportunity that MAY receive in a product being delivered. This should not be advertised as no-risk.

Wooty 12-21-2012 01:46 PM

good deal.... don't own a mac pro, but this is awesome!

movingincircles 12-21-2012 01:58 PM

anyone know how leaving an SD card in the slot will affect battery life?

corazones 12-21-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k-y (Post 56264958)

Good to know. the sd buy first think later mentality makes doing homework (aka researching the individual) a chore

completing 12-21-2012 02:21 PM

If the product actually comes out(eithere this or niffydrive), I guarantee there will be $1 generic versions within a month or two.

These are just a microSD to SD converter that costs slim to none to make. (no complex design, no expensive components, etc)

I don't think it's worth taking a risk and over-pay.

zAlbee 12-21-2012 02:49 PM

WTF? Is this just a microSD to SD adapter? Because every microSD card I've every bought comes with this adapter for free. Quick search: http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer...F8&index=1

I can't believe there are over 9000 stupid people who funded that Kickstarter.

APhamX 12-21-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zAlbee (Post 56294804)
WTF? Is this just a microSD to SD adapter? Because every microSD card I've every bought comes with this adapter for free. Quick search: http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer...F8&index=1

I can't believe there are over 9000 stupid people who funded that Kickstarter.

It's not standard SD. Something that forces apple users to buy in order to use I guess.

CDI 12-21-2012 02:57 PM

I've invested in 2 things on Kickstarter:
1. Spike (iPhone keyboard case) - delayed
2. SmartThings - delayed
Neither kept to their estimated timeline although they claim they will still ship them out someday.

I'm not sure how much better IndieGoGo is. I will say the plastic tab design and the way of pulling the adapter out looks like crap.

The Nifty drive seems like something actually doable and in reasonable time. I'm confused though, is there no patent on the Nifty?

deelseaker 12-21-2012 03:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My Google is screwed up. This is what I get when I search for 'mini drive'. :D

purple 12-21-2012 04:01 PM

Nifty sells for $35.

You can always buy an adapter and chop the edge but there is no guarantee it will work. For $6 this ain't so bad for people who barely use the sd slot and would like to add additional storage. 64 Gb of space will definitely help on a macbook air.

You are actually buying into the idea and not just the product. Maybe people on SD have become too cheap to appreciate a decent idea that is affordable.

pcgamer4life 12-21-2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubbyw86 (Post 56279350)

That's like asking how can Apple charge $1,200 while Dell only charges $799. (Extreme generalization, you get the point.)
It's all about image, perception, and rounding up a group of people willing to pay for the same product with a different name and better aesthetics.

Bmr4life 12-21-2012 04:14 PM

Another reason why Macs suck.

DubbDubb 12-21-2012 04:55 PM

Seems like an okay idea !! but I wouldn't want to order without knowing the time frame. I'm also okay with it sticking out.. just pop in when I need it and pop out when I don't.. this isn't a phone

sphrth88 12-21-2012 05:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
If you want to make one yourself, it is extremely easy. $1.94 shipped on ebay. You don't even have to cut the usb end off completely to make it flush like the guy does. That way the chances of it not working properly is very low. I've made two already for two macbooks.

151max 12-21-2012 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphrth88 (Post 56298354)
If you want to make one yourself, it is extremely easy. $1.94 shipped on ebay. You don't even have to cut the usb end off completely to make it flush like the guy does. That way the chances of it not working properly is very low. I've made two already for two macbooks.

Great post. Find them on eBay. Just search "micro sd adapter u disk".

cubbyw86 12-22-2012 07:21 AM

Ebay parts

Quote:

Originally Posted by 151max (Post 56299990)
Great post. Find them on eBay. Just search "micro sd adapter u disk".

good post for DIY, I wonder what are the chance of me cutting off too much tho? How do you tell where to cut? the reason why you dont want it sticking out is because , it will break if u leave it in there while carrying it in your backpack.

supaflydude 12-22-2012 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmr4life (Post 56296910)
Another reason why Macs suck.

lolwut? SD Cards stick out of most PC laptops also

Bmr4life 12-22-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supaflydude (Post 56310634)
lolwut? SD Cards stick out of most PC laptops also

Not every and none of the 5 I've had.

cubbyw86 12-22-2012 10:12 AM

so true

Quote:

Originally Posted by purple (Post 56296588)
Nifty sells for $35.

You can always buy an adapter and chop the edge but there is no guarantee it will work. For $6 this ain't so bad for people who barely use the sd slot and would like to add additional storage. 64 Gb of space will definitely help on a macbook air.

You are actually buying into the idea and not just the product. Maybe people on SD have become too cheap to appreciate a decent idea that is affordable.

I agree $6 dollar is totally affordable , that is why i hope they reach their funding. You can't even buy a big mac meal for 6 dollars in NYC

sphrth88 12-22-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubbyw86 (Post 56309800)
good post for DIY, I wonder what are the chance of me cutting off too much tho? How do you tell where to cut? the reason why you dont want it sticking out is because , it will break if u leave it in there while carrying it in your backpack.

To check where to cut the card, just stick it into the slot on your macbook and make a mark where it would be flush. For me, it was somewhere around half of the usb section. The more you cut off, the greater the chance of it breaking, so as long as you dont cut the usb section completely off the chances are pretty low. You definitely want to have the piece of tape tho, as removal would be very hard without it.

cubbyw86 12-22-2012 05:29 PM

TY good info

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphrth88 (Post 56313412)
To check where to cut the card, just stick it into the slot on your macbook and make a mark where it would be flush. For me, it was somewhere around half of the usb section. The more you cut off, the greater the chance of it breaking, so as long as you dont cut the usb section completely off the chances are pretty low. You definitely want to have the piece of tape tho, as removal would be very hard without it.

TY very helpful. Now i just have to wait for my parts from china to arrive :woot:

hightop32 12-22-2012 05:37 PM

indiegogo, kickstarter and other promised vapor does not belong on slickdeals.

hightop32 12-22-2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubbyw86 (Post 56312908)
I agree $6 dollar is totally affordable , that is why i hope they reach their funding. You can't even buy a big mac meal for 6 dollars in NYC

Quote:

Originally Posted by purple (Post 56296588)
Nifty sells for $35.

you act like this product is some marvel of innovation.

they are basically doing a group buy, having the adapter already linked slightly modified (and cheapened, by not needing USB) by in a factory in china and charging you 5x markup.

cool product, yes, these types of 'deals', no. hell maybe if it was a novel idea or had some sense of invention....