Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Deal Talk (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Free OfficeSuite Professional 6 App for Android Phones (http://slickdeals.net/e/5745262-free-officesuite-professional-6-app-for-android-phones)

MWink 12-26-2012 01:59 AM

Free OfficeSuite Professional 6 App for Android Phones

See the full list Here [amazon.com]

Includes:

TuneIn Radio Pro [amzn.com]

OfficeSuite Professional 6 [amzn.com] (reg $14.99)

Moon Phase Pro [amzn.com]

Splashtop Remote Desktop [amzn.com]

Gravilux [amzn.com]

Mahjong Artifacts [amzn.com]

Call of Atlantis (Premium) [amzn.com]

Missile Defender [amzn.com]

Red Wrecker [amzn.com]

KeepTrack Pro [amzn.com]

Lame Castle HD [amzn.com]

Radiant HD [amzn.com]

Buzzwords [amzn.com]

Shopper's Paradise HD [amzn.com]

Unolingo [amzn.com]

Discombobulated 12-26-2012 01:59 AM

Free OfficeSuite Professional 6 App for Android Phones

1 Attachment(s)
Amazon Appstore has OfficeSuite Professional 6 App for Android Phones for Free. Please refer to the forum thread for any additional deals. Thanks MWink

Note, you may also recieve a $1 Amazon MP3 Credit with a purchase of this app, more info here.

wikipost 12-26-2012 01:59 AM

This post can and should be edited by users like you :)

Responses to the common questions and concerns that people are having about the Amazon Appstore - Original Post found here http://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=56394956&postcount=158

Quote:

Originally Posted by spinnindeals (Post 56390098)
If you delete an app from your phone, will it stay on your cloud?

Yes. In fact, the best way to save an app to your cloud, that you do not plan on using immediately, is to purchase is from your browser. If you purchase through the appstore, on your Android device, it will save the app to your phone and use up that memory on your device, even if you don't actually install the app. Here are the instructions to clear out those useless downloads:

FYI, IF YOU NEED TO CLEAR OUT MEMORY ON YOUR ANDROID DEVICE:
Download a file explorer, such as ES File Explorer. Open it and go to sdcard>Android>data>com.amazon.venezia>cache
This is all of the apps that you have downloaded from the Amazon, that you may or may not have installed on your device. They are useless leftovers that hog your internal memory (though, of course, it may not be a problem if you have tons of memory). Clearing out these apk files should not effect how the app functions on your device. As stated above, at this time, all apps purchased from the Amazon Appstore are saved to your account, and can be downloaded and installed at any time. However, there is no reason to keep the leftover apk on your device (unless you want to keep the original file for an app that you do not want to update).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Impact-Vector (Post 56389066)
I tried to install them but get an error that I dont have a credit card on file with Amazon. Anyone else see this message ?

You get that message whenever you use Amazon Appstore for the first time. You may already have a (or several) credit cards linked to your regular Amazon account. However, when you first use Amazon Appstore, you need to follow the instructions associated with that error message. It will take you to a page that lets you choose one of your Amazon-linked credit cards, and specifically link it to your Amazon Appstore. You shouldn't even need to worry about re-entering the info. Just click the bubble on the card that you want to link, save it, and go back to the appstore to make your purchase.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alochet (Post 56391090)
is there anyway to install these without using the amazon app?

Quote:

Originally Posted by alochet (Post 56391344)
Is it possible to install them with amazon, then backup it up with titanium, then uninstall amazon app and restore the app from titanium? Or are these fully dependent on amazon being installed

These apps cannot be installed, from Amazon, without the Amazon Appstore installed on your device. Also, all apps that you download from the appstore run a check to make sure that the app matches your Amazon Appstore account (just like most apps from Google play). If you do not have the appstore installed, then the apps will not work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spinnindeals (Post 56390718)
Can you quit the app so it isn't running?

Probably, though it will likely restart. And in any case, if you quit it, you will not be able to run any of the apps that you purchased from the Amazon Appstore. This is Amazon's method of IP protection. Essentially, your Amazon account is linked to your Amazon Appstore account, which is linked to your Amazon Appstore App on your device. So all of the apps that you download through your account must check your device's Amazon Appstore app, to allow it to function, in order to make sure that you have actually purchased the app and not just pirated a copy from someone else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaliu (Post 56389850)
keep getting purchasing errors. will i get charged if i delete the amazon app after getting office? it seems the amazon app is pretty shifty from some reviews. they have access to your internet and texts, and try to make all the charges.

You should not be charged. However, the Office app will no longer open on your device. Yes, the appstore does have many required permissions, but first, check some of the previously posted explanations of the permissions. And secondly, compare it to Google's permissions on your device...

Quote:

Originally Posted by spinnindeals (Post 56389724)
Does anyone know the difference between Splashtop Remote Desktop and Splashtop2?
The first one has way more reviews but the second seems newer? Both are free.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rat_slick (Post 56392510)
I am wondering the same ...anyone ?

As far as I can tell, Splashtop 2 has IAPs, and does NOT include the ability to remotely access your desktop over 3G/4G connections (hence, you can purchase that ability through the IAP), whereas regular splashtop seems to include 3G/4G connectivity. Also, Splashtop 2 seems to be optimized to function better with Windows 8.

Quote:

Originally Posted by techx (Post 56390642)
Those free amazon apps are sure alluring but I wonder how many of you know that the amazon app itself is ALWAYS RUNNING after you install it. So just be aware of that before you DL.

Yes, it is always running, just like Google Play, because all of the apps that you download from Amazon must be able to verify your Amazon Appstore account in order to function.
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxman1 (Post 56392982)
That is a big drawback for me. It is always running and when I had it installed, it was using a lot of data. Way too much for any legitimate need. I don't know what it was communicating, but that was enough for me to uninstall it and all the apps I got via Amazon.

I think you might be confused with download vs. upload data usage. Of course it uses a lot of data downloading... it uses data every single time that you purchase an app through the appstore, because it is downloading the app onto your device. Downloading apps is not only a legitimate need, it's the entire purpose of the appstore. If, on the other hand, the appstore is using tons of data doing uploads (i.e. sending data to Amazon) then there might be a problem. Granted, my personal upload total for the Amazon Appstore, for this entire month (26 days combined), is 4.07MB. That's nothing in the realm of data usage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommyz23 (Post 56390090)
It would be nice if these were available on the Play store. The problem with the Amazon store is the apps don't get updated as often. ie. Weatherbug Elite is still an old version on Amazon.

Very true. However, see the following statement:
Quote:

Originally Posted by plumrt (Post 56392070)
Multiple people share our amazon account apps. Can do it with play store, but you still need to sign everyone in to that account. Amazon seems like less trouble for us.

Same here. I prefer to obtain all of my apps through the Amazon Appstore. I don't care to connect the rest of my family to my Google Account and bombard their devices with all of my incoming emails and google talk messages. Plus, the Amazon Appstore has a fully-functioning and intuitive on/off switch for restricting IAPs so that the kids cannot make purchases from their devices. Personally, I think that Amazon Appstore is vastly superior when sharing apps across multiple devices owned by multiple people.

ONE LAST THING:
If you are concerned about data usage when downloading apps, go to:
Menu>Settings>Use Wi-Fi When Downloading
And change the restriction to 1MB.
This will prevent you from using tons of data, on your wireless carrier, in the Amazon Appstore.

- CriticalCritic

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note:
Amazon Appstore app issues
  • Many SDers in this thread complain about the Amazon Appstore running in blackground which means (read this threads for more detail)....
    • it drain battery a lot quicker
    • it use a lot of mobile data
  • Amazon review of Splashtop Remote Desktop:
    "This app (Splashtop Desktop) used to be my go to app to control my computer but since they announced splashtop 2 and "upgraded" the streamer, splashtop 1's performance went down the drain. on hspa with full signal, I'm lucky to perform 3 actions before the screen freezes and I have to log out then back in for a refresh.
    They intentionally crippled splashtop 1(Splashtop Desktop) i n hopes of getting you to pay a monthly fee for splashtop 2 to be able to access your system outside the LAN."
  • Quote:

That is a big drawback for me. It is always running and when I had it installed, it was using a lot of data. Way too much for any legitimate need. I don't know what it was communicating, but that was enough for me to uninstall it and all the apps I got via Amazon.

• Quote:

Originally Posted by frenchy12405 (Post 56393410)
    I know that everyone is excited about this, and I was exited intialy as well. But! A word of advice, do not install Officesuite! It seems that its runs in the back round. Im sure most of you know that when something runs in the backround it drains battery. This is a no go.

The other app that may seem like a good deal, is really not. TuneinPro is essentially the same is the free Tunein so I dont see the point. There doesnt seem to be any other decent apps for free. No Go For Me!

Case in point: see the previous post from user mpkb.

• Quote:

Originally Posted by mpkb (Post 56393402)
    I've had Amazon Appstore installed for a long time. Apps delivered through it are "special" versions- they require Amazon Appstore to be installed, so don't think you can uninstall once you get the apps.

Curiously, just last week I had to uninstall Amazon Appstore. My phone battery was mysteriously draining within hours even when idle. It was also crashing on its own too. After checking apps, Amazon Appstore was at 27mb, biggest hog by far. Most apps are like 2mb. I reinstalled, and it dropped the memory consumption down to half. The battery life returned, but the phone would sometimes be extremely slow to the point of not being able to use it.

So I had to uninstall it again. And I left it off, at least for now. Phone is back to normal, but I can't use the apps I got from Amazon. Haven't solved this yet...

Disclaimer: I am not an Amazon hater.

• Quote:

Originally Posted by Damocles (Post 56395400)
    i love amazon, but my only complaint is that occasionally it needs to *connect* for me to use apps. i had just started a 16 hour car ride with kids, and when they turned on the tablet, no games would play because amazon app store couldn't connect to internet. that was frustrating. i have no idea why it happened, games have always been playable offline. i think this has happened 2 or 3 times over 2 years (but only once on long car ride).

It's not free, but Bejeweled 2 [amazon.com] is on sale for 99 cents. Note: It does not work on Samsung Galaxy S3 with Jelly Bean and perhaps other Jelly Bean OS phones.

Splashtop2 [amazon.com] is (always) free (since day 1) as well. This is pay as you go (yearly subscription) app if you want Anywhere Access Pack to access your computer over 3G/4G or from across the Internet. Without that yearly subscription pack, you can only access your computer within your own home network.

If you want to accumulate Amazon Free Apps without an Android device, try bluestacks.com

This post can be edited by most users to provide up-to-date information about developments of this thread based on user responses, and user findings. Feel free to add, change or remove information shown here as it becomes available. This includes new coupons, rebates, ideas, thread summary, and similar items.

Once a Thread Wiki is added to a thread, "Create Wiki" button will disappear. If you would like to learn more about Thread Wiki feature, click here.

Pharmageek 12-26-2012 04:10 AM

Dangit! I thought I would be able to scoop the community on this one...Great offers here if you've been following the androidpolice.com page - FREE is always better than any discounted price. ;-)

gabe23111 12-26-2012 04:32 AM

Excellent post & thanks for sharing OP.

This is the best "free app" thread for Android I can remember.

:repped:

alterego 12-26-2012 05:29 AM

Thanks OP. This seems to be great...

blockhead 12-26-2012 05:33 AM

Thanks, OP. I only missed one on the list. :D Very, very cool of Amazon to do this.

specialized999 12-26-2012 05:34 AM

Well done!

There's also Final Freeway 2R [amazon.com].

Iggy 12-26-2012 05:36 AM

Thanks OP.....had virtually all of these as a result of Amazon's App of Day giveaway. I think since they've been giving away apps, I have only missed a hand-full of them,

Rep point coming your way....

thelatest2008 12-26-2012 05:45 AM

wish i had office suite free for ipad. any way i can get it on there? i already have this on my android phone and i love the app.

Bushdog 12-26-2012 05:47 AM

Great deal!

millhouse24 12-26-2012 05:48 AM

Will these apps work on the kindle fire HD?

alterego 12-26-2012 05:54 AM

Are they also giving away $1 MP3 credit along with the app itself.. I just purchased all apps for free from the web but dont see any credit added...

LondonsCalling 12-26-2012 05:54 AM

Thanks.

Bushdog 12-26-2012 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by millhouse24 (Post 56388234)

Don't have one, but almost definite that Amazon would make sure this content will make sure it works of their tablet.

No risk to buying them, so snatch them all up, and test yourself!

mgmanoj 12-26-2012 05:56 AM

Will this work on Samsung Galaxy Tab 2

blockhead 12-26-2012 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alterego (Post 56388346)
Are they also giving away $1 MP3 credit along with the app itself.. I just purchased all apps for free from the web but dont see any credit added...

It's a one time offer that's been running for months. Perhaps you already redeemed it?

anothauserhere 12-26-2012 05:57 AM

Thanks OP

alterego 12-26-2012 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blockhead (Post 56388376)
It's a one time offer that's been running for months. Perhaps you already redeemed it?

Oh yeah... I definitely got quite a lot of MP3 credits.. Guess this one must have been redeemed already then...:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

specialized999 12-26-2012 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgmanoj (Post 56388372)
Will this work on Samsung Galaxy Tab 2

Yes, they should. Galaxy Tab = android.

jmurrhee 12-26-2012 06:00 AM

Thanks OP!

darkstar1968 12-26-2012 06:04 AM

Careful with any apps, but especially these.... Read the reviews, lots of problems....

grueber 12-26-2012 06:06 AM

Have to grab these when I get home.

nycdude 12-26-2012 06:06 AM

Thanks OP, I have most of these FAotD.

specialized999 12-26-2012 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkstar1968 (Post 56388478)
Careful with any apps, but especially these.... Read the reviews, lots of problems....

Free.

Uninstalling those I don't like. :-)

iloveant 12-26-2012 06:12 AM

Thanks OP. I got most of them last time from Amazon though.

ppt 12-26-2012 06:16 AM

Thanks OP. Got couple of apps.

jbloggs 12-26-2012 06:25 AM

Wow, some great free apps. Already had a couple of them and went ahead got the others.

pvjk 12-26-2012 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by millhouse24 (Post 56388234)

Just queued em all up for my gf's Fire HD I got her for Xmas, all said they're Kindle compatible.

(Had these all already on my account as FAOTD's, good post tho, TU)

jaytalent 12-26-2012 06:31 AM

Not such a great deal from what I read...tries to nickle and dime you for things such as common fonts. I also read that it has access to your private data, such as text messages, and can do who knows what with it. I would use with caution.

rrc06 12-26-2012 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nycdude (Post 56388506)
Thanks OP, I have most of these FAotD.

Yup. Missed a couple along the way though.

jdmst77 12-26-2012 06:34 AM

Pretty useless to people who have been getting the Amazon FAOTD deals since the start. These are recycled from that list except maybe the last app???

Great deal for those who haven't been in top of their FAOTD deals

Bushdog 12-26-2012 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmst77 (Post 56388892)
Pretty useless to people who have been getting the Amazon FAOTD deals since the start. These are recycled from that list except maybe the last app???

Great deal for those who haven't been in top of their FAOTD deals

Is it possible they were targeting people who just got a tablet for Christmas, who wouldn't have these apps back from January of last year?

1 or 2 of these I needed to grab, so worked out well for me. I'm on top of the FAOTD, but miss some occasionally.

rpower 12-26-2012 06:39 AM

Anyone have any comments on Office Suite Pro 6 vs QuickOffice Pro? Which is better?

Megalomac 12-26-2012 06:43 AM

Yep, these have all been free before and I already have them. More or less a repost.

sandmans42 12-26-2012 06:45 AM

uninstalled the regular, installed the pro.. thanks!

Impact-Vector 12-26-2012 06:45 AM

I tried to install them but get an error that I dont have a credit card on file with Amazon. Anyone else see this message ?

jdmst77 12-26-2012 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpower (Post 56388980)
Anyone have any comments on Office Suite Pro 6 vs QuickOffice Pro? Which is better?

I have both on my old cell phone but haven't gotten around to installing either on my GSIII yet. I must have uninstalled QOP HD from my TouchPad for some reason since OSP is the only one on that device. I haven't used either in a while but from what I remember they worked well for different things and I didn't have a need for QOP HD at least on my TP

hmongketchup 12-26-2012 06:53 AM

Thanks!

kapitanpogi 12-26-2012 06:54 AM

Thanks op, SD! and amazon as always! im now loaded on more games ;).

Neel71 12-26-2012 06:57 AM

Why did I buy (even though on sale) most of these apps from Google Play store???

iahawks550 12-26-2012 07:00 AM

Thanks...I was looking for a couple of those.

rrc06 12-26-2012 07:01 AM

They didn't put World of Goo on there, surprisingly. It was the free app yesterday. A lot of fun IMO

dmcccdmn 12-26-2012 07:02 AM

Is there any way to save this app then put it on your Android phone at a later date? I don't have an Android phone yet but planning to get one.

DKTVPN 12-26-2012 07:06 AM

I have no idea these apps are good or not but I got all of the apps from the list that costs more than $0.99.

jdatb 12-26-2012 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmcccdmn (Post 56389322)
Is there any way to save this app then put it on your Android phone at a later date? I don't have an Android phone yet but planning to get one.

If you "Get this now with one click" won't it save the purchase to your amazon account?

Zer0320 12-26-2012 07:08 AM

Quote:

Yea the app is saved to your amazon account on the cloud. Once you get an android and put the app store on it, you can download the apps from the cloud.

dmcccdmn 12-26-2012 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zer0320 (Post 56389410)
Yea the app is saved to your amazon account on the cloud. Once you get an android and put the app store on it, you can download the apps from the cloud.

I see no button to save the App? I see on the right there's a link to "Download the Amazon Appstore" button. Clicking on that button only brings you to the page that says "Follow these instructions to install the Amazon Appstore on your Android phone or tablet."

uniten 12-26-2012 07:11 AM

As someone who has been claiming free apps every day on amazon, Red Wrecker and Shopper's Paradise HD were the only 2 I have not seen before. Though it might be because I missed them by accident too.

Also you can get BlueStack or Android Emulator and run Android apps on your pc.

Ignatz 12-26-2012 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megalomac (Post 56389032)
Yep, these have all been free before and I already have them. More or less a repost.

Are these free all the time?

khuang81 12-26-2012 07:12 AM

Thanks OP!!!

downloaded and informed my friends to get it now.....

Woohoo...

Zer0320 12-26-2012 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmcccdmn (Post 56389470)
I see no button to save the App? I see on the right there's a link to "Download the Amazon Appstore" button. Clicking on that button only brings you to the page that says "Follow these instructions to install the Amazon Appstore on your Android phone or tablet."

Once you "buy" the app, its on your account. So when you do get a droid, you will have the option of downloading the apps from the account(cloud) via the amazon app store.

Rattor 12-26-2012 07:14 AM

Quote:

Go to the pages for one of the apps (like TuneIn Pro [amazon.com]), click "Get Now With 1-Click", and it should save it to your Amazon account.

SlickDealio 12-26-2012 07:15 AM

OP's post threw me off a bit. I thought the OfficeSuite Professional included all the other free apps listed. :P

With all these free apps, I don't have to buy apps anymore. :)

Compatible with my Kindle Fire HD and Acer A200.

Probably won't use them all, but got them all since they are free.

anothauserhere 12-26-2012 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neel71 (Post 56389224)
Why did I buy (even though on sale) most of these apps from Google Play store???

The only draw back is you must have amazon app store installed to use these apps. Which is another app always running.

dmcccdmn 12-26-2012 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zer0320 (Post 56389502)
Once you "buy" the app, its on your account. So when you do get a droid, you will have the option of downloading the apps from the account(cloud) via the amazon app store.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattor (Post 56389526)
Go to the pages for one of the apps (like TuneIn Pro [amazon.com]), click "Get Now With 1-Click", and it should save it to your Amazon account.

I think that's the problem. I have no option to buy any Android apps, free or not. I think you only get that option if you have a Device listed on your account.

NCSU2008 12-26-2012 07:24 AM

TuneIn Radio Pro, free for android on Amazon App Store

65535 Attachment(s)
While I was getting office suite pro 6, I noticed this. I got the pro version for free when I had an iPhone. IIRC it was 1.99 on their app store...when I got my Galaxy nexus, I didn't want to pay for it, so i got the free version. Now the pro version is free on the Amazon App Store

Link: http://www.amazon.com/TuneIn-Radi...B004XDYJRU

spinnindeals 12-26-2012 07:25 AM

Does anyone know the difference between Splashtop Remote Desktop and Splashtop2?

hbsjr 12-26-2012 07:28 AM

i'm in!

darksel 12-26-2012 07:29 AM

Must install 3rd party app store, and a credit card is required for everything - even to purchase free applications.

2p1o 12-26-2012 07:29 AM

Had most of these already. Thanks...

bunnym 12-26-2012 07:31 AM

Thanks

jaliu 12-26-2012 07:31 AM

keep getting purchasing errors. will i get charged if i delete the amazon app after getting office? it seems the amazon app is pretty shifty from some reviews. they have access to your internet and texts, and try to make all the charges.

alterego 12-26-2012 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmcccdmn (Post 56389686)
I think that's the problem. I have no option to buy any Android apps, free or not. I think you only get that option if you have a Device listed on your account.

Try something like bluestacks.com... Lets you run Android apps on your PC. That way you can install Amazon AppStore on that virtual Android device and start gathering free apps...

LooksGood2Me 12-26-2012 07:31 AM

Already have it but thanks and Repped!

VerticalCobra 12-26-2012 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCSU2008 (Post 56389694)
While I was getting office suite pro 6, I noticed this. I got the pro version for free when I had an iPhone. IIRC it was 1.99 on their app store...when I got my Galaxy nexus, I didn't want to pay for it, so i got the free version. Now the pro version is free on the Amazon App Store

Link: http://www.amazon.com/TuneIn-Radi...B004XDYJRU

Thanks. Great find! :)

chiefy3 12-26-2012 07:32 AM

Thanks, it was a quick download to my wife's new Nexus 7. Works great!

GUI_Center 12-26-2012 07:32 AM

http://slickdeals.net/f/5745262-Free-OfficeSuite-Professional-6-App-for-Android-Phones

All already posted, but thanks.

NCSU2008 12-26-2012 07:32 AM

i didn't have to enter my credit card to purchase it. i guess since its already on file with amazon it automatically goes through. idk what you mean by the amazon app store being a 3rd party app store though. i thought the amazon app store was common

^oh i thought that thread was for that one particular program

Rattor 12-26-2012 07:33 AM

Quote:

If you know someone else with an Android device, you could ask them if you could sign into the Amazon Appstore on their device to assign one to your account. They could sign out of the Appstore, allow you to sign in to attach the device to your account, then you could sign back out and have them sign back in. That way, Amazon thinks you have a device attached to your account and you can start "buying" free Amazon apps.

EDIT:
Or this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by alterego (Post 56389852)
Try something like bluestacks.com... Lets you run Android apps on your PC. That way you can install Amazon AppStore on that virtual Android device and start gathering free apps...

SDRebel 12-26-2012 07:33 AM

Great app, I had already paid for it, well worth it

Quote:

Originally Posted by darksel (Post 56389796)
Must install 3rd party app store, and a credit card is required for everything - even to purchase free applications.

A ton of people already have the amazon app.

codym 12-26-2012 07:34 AM

Don't download unless you like to be data mined.

gabe23111 12-26-2012 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignatz (Post 56389486)
Are these free all the time?

Nope... Best would be to grab them today even if you don't install them.

SueDoeNemesis 12-26-2012 07:36 AM

Quote:

Unfortunately I think you have to have your Android device before you can begin buying apps from the Amazon App Store. This was my first time using Amazon Apps with my Asus Transformer tablet and before I could purchase apps I first had to download the AmazonAppStore to my android tablet. Once I did this and went to Amazon it had a checked box showing my "compatible device" and the "Get with one click" button showed on the screen.

Hope this helps.

Dicka24 12-26-2012 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by codym (Post 56389922)

I'm having serious second thoughts becuase of this. It seems from reviews that this app not only runs at all times, non stop, but it also has access to your personal information and text messages via its Terms & Condtions. I'm not sure it's worth it.

SueDoeNemesis 12-26-2012 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alterego (Post 56389852)

Good suggestion for dmcccdmn. I didn't know about bluestacks.com, but will check it out.

mrtasan 12-26-2012 07:41 AM

thanks good stuff! splashtop 2 is also free

tommyz23 12-26-2012 07:41 AM

It would be nice if these were available on the Play store. The problem with the Amazon store is the apps don't get updated as often. ie. Weatherbug Elite is still an old version on Amazon.

spinnindeals 12-26-2012 07:41 AM

SDRebel 12-26-2012 07:41 AM

Quote:

Just click where it says free but don't click on get it

TheJuice 12-26-2012 07:41 AM

It's not free, but Bejeweled 2 [amazon.com] is on sale for 99 cents. Note: It does not work on Samsung Galaxy S3 with Jelly Bean and perhaps other Jelly Bean OS phones.

TurboVern 12-26-2012 07:45 AM

Wow. Loaded up on tablet. Now for the phone. Thanks OP.

SDRebel 12-26-2012 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJuice (Post 56390108)

Any idea why is that?
Even on ICS my wife has trouble with it in the SGS3

jdmst77 12-26-2012 07:47 AM

Quote:

troll

itaintrite 12-26-2012 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDRebel (Post 56389906)
Great app, I had already paid for it, well worth it

A ton of people already have the amazon app.

And even more people already have an Amazon account. Don't worry if you don't have one already though, they're safe to shop at ;)

longbean 12-26-2012 07:53 AM

Quote:

It will stay in the cloud and you can install it again at a later time or on a different device.

pvjk 12-26-2012 07:55 AM

nm, wrong topic

jdmst77 12-26-2012 07:55 AM

Quote:

Amazon wants your business from Google. Unfortunately they have a rather lengthy development life cycle from the developer to the end user. Some Developers choose not to have their app available to Amazon, some are delayed because they have to jump through additional red tape to be on Amazon, and some follow the Amazon SDLC and are delayed because of Amazon.

All in all Amazon is offering them free, they will probably be updated to the same version on Google Play but it isn't promised and it may take longer if a developer is willing to jump through the red tape.

Complain to Amazon if you are upset about the delay. Amazon may do nothing but in most cases it isn't the developers faults like most of the disgrundled amazon customers believe on the app reviews

SDRebel 12-26-2012 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itaintrite (Post 56390254)
And even more people already have an Amazon account. Don't worry if you don't have one already though, they're safe to shop at ;)

I know....he is talking as if this were getjar or something like that

uniten 12-26-2012 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDRebel (Post 56390194)
Any idea why is that?
Even on ICS my wife has trouble with it in the SGS3

As of ICS Android had a HUGE upgrade to the system and the way apps work. Developers had to make minor tweaks to their app to make it work for ICS and above.

Effectively if an app does not work on ICS = lazy devs

nitemare 12-26-2012 07:58 AM

in for moon phase, office pro(downloaded to cloud but not installed),red wrecker,lame castle.
All working fine on Touchpad running latest CM9. Thanks and repped!

cyfan 12-26-2012 08:00 AM

I liked this program okay for finding "hometown" radio stations across the country that would broadcast the football games of my Alma Mater. However I noticed there was always something running from this app even after a reboot...so I uninstalled it because I don't like Apps running that I almost never use.

mfeuell 12-26-2012 08:01 AM

Every single one was "you purchased this item on xxxx". Every single one. Guessing this is because they were all previously a free app of the day.

If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend Splashtop Remote Desktop. Of that list it's the one I've used the most.

Holysmoke 12-26-2012 08:02 AM

I did 100% Christmas shopping there. Didn't have to go to any store got good prices, no tax and free shipping and no hassle returns.

sakdeals 12-26-2012 08:02 AM

Had this with getjar but was not getting any update.
No longer need getjar, since i use Amazon.. Nice find Thanks and Repped!

MicKatMom 12-26-2012 08:05 AM

I'll recommend Unolingo. Good game!

techx 12-26-2012 08:06 AM

Those free amazon apps are sure alluring but I wonder how many of you know that the amazon app itself is ALWAYS RUNNING after you install it. So just be aware of that before you DL.

Ynot303 12-26-2012 08:09 AM

Downloaded, thanks!

spinnindeals 12-26-2012 08:09 AM

Quote:

jbloggs 12-26-2012 08:14 AM

Quote:

Somebody may have already mentioned it, but just to reiterate, Amazon needs to have a Android device associated with your account. This is normally done by installing the Amazon App Store app on your device and if you don't have a device yet you can use BlueStack on PC and download the Amazon store app on that. Once you have a "device" associated with your account then you will be able to purchase/download apps from the Amazon.

Woz2000 12-26-2012 08:16 AM

So I'm in Canada for the holidays and Amazon (app store app) is saying my payment method is not from a supported country.. Very disappointing for something from Amazon! The item is free and Canada should be supported if it isn't (and I have a GC balance)!!!

Anyone have a link for free US proxy???

Fogmoose 12-26-2012 08:19 AM

Got them all for my Kindle Fire HD... Awesome post!

jbloggs 12-26-2012 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJuice (Post 56390108)

There is one called Jewel Star that has over 300,000 reviews (4.7 Stars) and its free.

https://play.google.com/store/app...c1N0YXIiXQ..

Cracktower 12-26-2012 08:24 AM

They ALL are compatible for the Toshiba Thrive..... Now to go delete all my e-mail confirmations.

alochet 12-26-2012 08:28 AM

bastage 12-26-2012 08:34 AM

several good apps ehre.. a couple for me & most of the games are going on my daughters tablet

seezar 12-26-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

If you are getting them through Amazon.... No.

bjsguess 12-26-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megalomac (Post 56389032)

So ... most (if not all) of these items have been this price at some point in time in the past but never all at once and that constitutes a repost?

Using that logic, a person should only post on slickdeals if the current deal beats any historic deal?

rockmo 12-26-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Don't go on the internet if you don't wanna be data mined.:lol:

aerotive 12-26-2012 08:38 AM

I can't install any of these...get to the "do you want to install this application" prompt and only the Cancel button can be selected.

Any ideas how to get fix this?

jdigger 12-26-2012 08:38 AM

Thanks OP, TU and repped!

alochet 12-26-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seezar (Post 56391204)
If you are getting them through Amazon.... No.

Is it possible to install them with amazon, then backup it up with titanium, then uninstall amazon app and restore the app from titanium?

Or are these fully dependent on amazon being installed

Hawk600 12-26-2012 08:40 AM

Tunein Radio Pro is a great app and you can record some content to hear later.
I think it worth dealing with the Amazon app. If not so I will just uninstall both.
Thank you OP! Repped!

SDRebel 12-26-2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dicka24 (Post 56390036)
I'm having serious second thoughts becuase of this. It seems from reviews that this app not only runs at all times, non stop, but it also has access to your personal information and text messages via its Terms & Condtions. I'm not sure it's worth it.

Agreed on the concerns

mysterymeat21 12-26-2012 08:49 AM

been waiting for free splashtop!!

very cool repped.

onom 12-26-2012 08:49 AM

Thanks a lot . Working great on my KFHD

sakdeals 12-26-2012 08:50 AM

Almost most of them i have purchased earlier in Daily deal..
But I was using getjar TuneinRadio Pro with no update.
Now i can use Amazon which would get updates
Thanks and Repped!

Sephoroth 12-26-2012 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dicka24 (Post 56390036)

If you're interested in their explanation of what they use such permissions for: http://www.mobisystems.com/androi...ermissions

Quote:

Originally Posted by Office Suite Website
How OfficeSuite uses the granted permissions on your phone?

Read SMS or MMS - Used for opening documents attached to MMS messages.
Modify/delete SD card contents - Used for saving files on SD memory cards.
Prevent phone from sleeping - Used for keeping the screen from sleeping (e.g. while running a PowerPoint presentation).
Reorder running applications, retrieve running applications - If a document is opened from external file browser and you try to open it via the file browser in OfficeSuite, the task is switched to the already opened file.
Read phone state and identity - For reading the device IMEI which is used for generating a unique license key for OfficeSuite.
Full internet access - Used for accessing the Internet (e.g. while you open a remote Google Drive, DropBox or Box account).
Manage the accounts list, use the authentication credentials of an account - The Google accounts registered on the phone are used for access to Google Drive and thus user does not have to enter the account credentials in OfficeSuite.
Automatically start at boot - Used for file search in the OfficeSuite file browser.
View Wi-Fi state - For Reading the device Mac address which is used for OfficeSuite license key (for tablets or devices without sim card).
Control vibrator - Vibration is used for user feedback in some cases.
Discover known accounts - Used for access to already registered Google Drive accounts.

husky55 12-26-2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerotive (Post 56391284)
I can't install any of these...get to the "do you want to install this application" prompt and only the Cancel button can be selected.

Any ideas how to get fix this?

You need to go to Settings - Device - Security and allow install from sources unknown. Amazon is considered source unknown for Android which uses the Play Store as the known source.

ProContra 12-26-2012 09:06 AM

Had every single one except Unolingo, must of missed that one on one of the free days.

slickuseeker 12-26-2012 09:11 AM

Great apps and Thanks OP.

plumrt 12-26-2012 09:12 AM

Multiple people share our amazon account apps. Can do it with play store, but you still need to sign everyone in to that account. Amazon seems like less trouble for us.

itaintrite 12-26-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

That is how Android multitasking works. Nothing gets killed unless the OS thinks there's a NEED to. But again, all the required permissions are shown when you install the app. If you're not ok with that, maybe just don't install the app store I guess.

Quote:

I just made a dummy Google account to share my paid apps. You can also purchase prepaid cards to leave no paper trail!

Briwas101 12-26-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Office suite pro 6 is waaaaaaaaay better than quickoffice pro. I had both, then deleted quick office because it is garbage compared office suite. You probably did the same thing and forgot

rat_slick 12-26-2012 09:28 AM

Quote:

sebastian_k 12-26-2012 09:30 AM

Can't get outside US :(

beowulf7 12-26-2012 09:32 AM

Amazon also had this available for free on 10/26/11. It's a pretty good Office app for one's Android device.

veggie59 12-26-2012 09:38 AM

I just installed the free office app. Will I be able to add it to anther phone when I get my new phone ? Thanks

Thaineseguy 12-26-2012 09:38 AM

only one missing was Moon Phase Pro. Thx OP!

Quote:

Originally Posted by veggie59 (Post 56392720)
I just installed the free office app. Will I be able to add it to anther phone when I get my new phone ? Thanks

you should be able to if you sign into the same account.

throlly 12-26-2012 09:40 AM

For those worrying about security issues, like an app retrieving call logs, text messages, etc. If you're Android device is rooted (basically admin privileges), you can install LBE Privacy Guard to prevent the app from getting this information. Though if you have Android version Jelly Bean (4.1 or 4.2), don't install it right now as it will make your device go into a loop. Wait until the developer updates it for JB.
https://play.google.com/store/app...lite&hl=en
Also, if you're rooted, I would also advise AdAway to block Ads on your device.
https://play.google.com/store/app...away&hl=en

dragonol2 12-26-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veggie59 (Post 56392720)

In short, yes. Any app you install is added to your Amazon app cloud and is available to download to your new device once you upgrade (confirmed since I've done the same thing on my last few Samsung Galaxy phones...)

Quote:

Originally Posted by throlly (Post 56392776)
Also, if you're rooted, I would also advise AdAway to block Ads on your device.
https://play.google.com/store/app...away&hl=en

+1... rooting and then using an ad-blocking app like Ad Away or a variety of others works wonders on those apps that like to throw the stupid ads at you while you're trying to play games (i.e. Angry Birds)

An alternative to that would be disabling your internet connection (either wi-fi or 3G); that also helps to block ads some of the time

finerva 12-26-2012 09:48 AM

got it, thanks! repped

pdxman1 12-26-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anothauserhere (Post 56389616)
The only draw back is you must have amazon app store installed to use these apps. Which is another app always running.

codeaddict 12-26-2012 09:53 AM

Got thi the last time it was free(Oct 27 2011) .. Anyways thanks OP, Good deal!

Rfcferreira 12-26-2012 09:55 AM

Got a couple of Apps, Tks so much.

Yell0w 12-26-2012 09:57 AM

Thanks, got most of them but had a couple that I must have missed when it was on the app of the day.

CriticalCritic 12-26-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

From my personal experience, if you are planning on strictly using the word processor for your android device, go with QuickOffice. But if you are planning on wirelessly sharing documents between your Android and your laptop, then g with Office Suite Pro.

Quick Office Pro is much better when using a bluetooth keyboard with my tablet. The responsiveness is perfect. Whereas, for some reason, Office Suite Pro has about a 1 second delay, for every keypress, that is VERY annoying.

HOWEVER, I keep all of my documents uploaded to SugarSync for free, so that I can access and edit my documents at any time from any device (Android or Laptop). When I simply save the edited document it automatically syncs the newest version with all of my devices without any other steps (selecting upload options, connecting wires, etc). The trouble is that Office Suite Pro IS capable of doing this incredibly valuable process, whereas QuickOffice is NOT compatible with SugarSync's cloud storage (though maybe it is with others? I don't know).

MozartA 12-26-2012 10:04 AM

Quote:

Splashtop2 is not totally free. Read the description and you will notice if will only work within your home network. If you want to use it over 3G/4G or over internet, you will need to pay yearly subscription fee.
Splashtop2 App is ALWAYS free since day 1 because of the yearly subscription fee required to use over internet.

While Splashtop Remote Desktop can use over internet for free but it is not optimized like Splashtop2.
This is one review for Splashtop Remote Desktop.
Amazon review:
"This app used to be my go to app to control my computer but since they announced splashtop 2 and "upgraded" the streamer, splashtop 1's performance went down the drain. on hspa with full signal, I'm lucky to perform 3 actions before the screen freezes and I have to log out then back in for a refresh.
They intentionally crippled splashtop 1 i n hopes of getting you to pay a monthly fee for splashtop 2 to be able to access your system outside the LAN."

mpkb 12-26-2012 10:04 AM

Quote:

I've had Amazon Appstore installed for a long time. Apps delivered through it are "special" versions- they require Amazon Appstore to be installed, so don't think you can uninstall once you get the apps.

Curiously, just last week I had to uninstall Amazon Appstore. My phone battery was mysteriously draining within hours even when idle. It was also crashing on its own too. After checking apps, Amazon Appstore was at 27mb, biggest hog by far. Most apps are like 2mb. I reinstalled, and it dropped the memory consumption down to half. The battery life returned, but the phone would sometimes be extremely slow to the point of not being able to use it.

So I had to uninstall it again. And I left it off, at least for now. Phone is back to normal, but I can't use the apps I got from Amazon. Haven't solved this yet...

frenchy12405 12-26-2012 10:04 AM

I know that everyone is excited about this, and I was exited intialy as well. But! A word of advice, do not install Officesuite! It seems that its runs in the back round. Im sure most of you know that when something runs in the backround it drains battery. This is a no go.

The other app that may seem like a good deal, is really not. TuneinPro is essentially the same is the free Tunein so I dont see the point. There doesnt seem to be any other decent apps for free. No Go For Me!

SlickForLife 12-26-2012 10:06 AM

im on my pc, and would rather that my husband does the download of the app thing for me. But i don't want to miss out on this so can i just email the link to myself or something? I'm not sure how to do that? Can someone help? thanks
when i click on the office suite professional6 link, i do see on the right side "download the amazon app store", is that what i need to click on?

prismatic 12-26-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Thank you for clearing that up. This is a big no for me too. Unless amazon changes their policy I am not going to install anything from them even it is free.

ubuntu_guru 12-26-2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrc06 (Post 56389310)
They didn't put World of Goo on there, surprisingly. It was the free app yesterday. A lot of fun IMO

Oh.. I missed the Goo.

MozartA 12-26-2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frenchy12405 (Post 56393410)

For Splashtop, they have the newer version Splashtop 2 which is ALWAYS free but need to pay yearly subscription fee to use over 3G/4G/internet.

And based on Amazon review below, they intentionally make Splashtop Desktop worse so people will get Splashtop 2 and pay for the yearly subscription to use over 3G/4G/internet.

Amazon review:
"This app (Splashtop Desktop) used to be my go to app to control my computer but since they announced splashtop 2 and "upgraded" the streamer, splashtop 1's performance went down the drain. on hspa with full signal, I'm lucky to perform 3 actions before the screen freezes and I have to log out then back in for a refresh.
They intentionally crippled splashtop 1 i n hopes of getting you to pay a monthly fee for splashtop 2 to be able to access your system outside the LAN."

UpSideDownDesi 12-26-2012 10:13 AM

nevermind...edit

cpnfantstk 12-26-2012 10:15 AM

Tunein pro is my absolute favorite. The ability to record shows and use sleep timer is just great. Paid a quarter for it but for free, nice gift for you all.

puddnhead 12-26-2012 10:18 AM

Quote:

Speaking as someone trying to do the same thing as you before I bought my first android device this past summer, yes that is exactly the case (I think the other people who've answered you already don't understand your circumstance). I could not get any of the free apps until I registered my first android device. You don't have to load the apps right away on your device, but you DO have ot have one registered with amazon to acquire it.

MozartA 12-26-2012 10:23 AM

Based on what multiple people mentioned here, looks like for those that monitor their phone battery usage and data usage, they notice a bit different when using Amazon AppStore? Meaning it use battery noticeable faster and use more mobile data?

qjj123 12-26-2012 10:30 AM

Is there any way for me to add it to my amazon account without a device. I am expecting my android device in the next week or so but do not have it yet.

MozartA 12-26-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qjj123 (Post 56394026)
Is there any way for me to add it to my amazon account without a device. I am expecting my android device in the next week or so but do not have it yet.

You have to register at least ONE device. Either borrow someone else device and register it to your account once. Or try the link below it is a pc/mac program that allows you to install Android App on your computer. Not sure if it can install Amazon Appstore but you can play around with it to try it out.
http://bluestacks.com/indexPC.html

Rattor 12-26-2012 10:37 AM

Quote:

You could try running an Android device emulator via the Android SDK [android.com], and installing the Amazon appstore to that to trick Amazon into thinking you have an Android device attached to your account, and then you'd be able to buy apps. You could also try asking a friend if he would let you install the Amazon Appstore on his device, sign in to it, then sign back out, which would also attach an Android device to your Amazon account.

DarrellS 12-26-2012 10:43 AM

Thanks, been waiting for a full version to be free for some time now.

indobuckeye 12-26-2012 10:56 AM

Gees!
Only by "purchasing" all of this apps without installing (considering negative feedbacks in the wiki), I can get ~$8 in amazon MP3 credit. So why complain?
Thanks OP and rep'd, of course!

alterego 12-26-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Try bluestacks.com...

mc4nam 12-26-2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

So, Now That I have the office suite showing purchased on my amazon account online, can I remove the amazon appstore and still on the office suite app for later use if I decide to install app store app again later? Also, why can't I use the office suite pro after I remove amazon appstore app? It seems to work on my gs3 now and I just removed the amazon app store.

rockmo 12-26-2012 11:00 AM

Are the $1 MP3 credits showing up in your accounts? Or, is that not offered while they're free?

Nattefrost 12-26-2012 11:01 AM

Doesnt the apple store or itunes require CC info when you sign up even when dling free apps? Whats the difference btw that and amazon appstore?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mc4nam (Post 56394656)
So, Now That I have the office suite showing purchased on my amazon account online, can I remove the amazon appstore and still on the office suite app for later use if I decide to install app store app again later? Also, why can't I use the office suite pro after I remove amazon appstore app? It seems to work on my gs3 now and I just removed the amazon app store.

Wondering the same will I get charged if uninstalling amazon app? Office still works after amazon app was gone.

CriticalCritic 12-26-2012 11:09 AM

Responses to the common questions and concerns that people are having about the Amazon Appstore

Quote:

Yes. In fact, the best way to save an app to your cloud, that you do not plan on using immediately, is to purchase is from your browser. If you purchase through the appstore, on your Android device, it will save the app to your phone and use up that memory on your device, even if you don't actually install the app. Here are the instructions to clear out those useless downloads:

Download a file explorer, such as ES File Explorer. Open it and go to sdcard>Android>data>com.amazon.venezia>cache
This is all of the apps that you have downloaded from the Amazon, that you may or may not have installed on your device. They are useless leftovers that hog your internal memory (though, of course, it may not be a problem if you have tons of memory). Clearing out these apk files should not effect how the app functions on your device. As stated above, at this time, all apps purchased from the Amazon Appstore are saved to your account, and can be downloaded and installed at any time. However, there is no reason to keep the leftover apk on your device (unless you want to keep the original file for an app that you do not want to update).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Impact-Vector (Post 56389066)

You get that message whenever you use Amazon Appstore for the first time. You may already have a (or several) credit cards linked to your regular Amazon account. However, when you first use Amazon Appstore, you need to follow the instructions associated with that error message. It will take you to a page that lets you choose one of your Amazon-linked credit cards, and specifically link it to your Amazon Appstore. You shouldn't even need to worry about re-entering the info. Just click the bubble on the card that you want to link, save it, and go back to the appstore to make your purchase.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by alochet (Post 56391344)
Is it possible to install them with amazon, then backup it up with titanium, then uninstall amazon app and restore the app from titanium? Or are these fully dependent on amazon being installed

These apps cannot be installed, from Amazon, without the Amazon Appstore installed on your device. Also, all apps that you download from the appstore run a check to make sure that the app matches your Amazon Appstore account (just like most apps from Google play). If you do not have the appstore installed, then the apps will not work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spinnindeals (Post 56390718)

Probably, though it will likely restart. And in any case, if you quit it, you will not be able to run any of the apps that you purchased from the Amazon Appstore. This is Amazon's method of IP protection. Essentially, your Amazon account is linked to your Amazon Appstore account, which is linked to your Amazon Appstore App on your device. So all of the apps that you download through your account must check your device's Amazon Appstore app, to allow it to function, in order to make sure that you have actually purchased the app and not just pirated a copy from someone else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaliu (Post 56389850)

You should not be charged. However, the Office app will no longer open on your device. Yes, the appstore does have many required permissions, but first, check some of the previously posted explanations of the permissions. And secondly, compare it to Google's permissions on your device...

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by rat_slick (Post 56392510)

As far as I can tell, Splashtop 2 has IAPs, and does NOT include the ability to remotely access your desktop over 3G/4G connections (hence, you can purchase that ability through the IAP), whereas regular splashtop seems to include 3G/4G connectivity. Also, Splashtop 2 seems to be optimized to function better with Windows 8.

Quote:

Yes, it is always running, just like Google Play, because all of the apps that you download from Amazon must be able to verify your Amazon Appstore account in order to function.
Quote:

I think you might be confused with download vs. upload data usage. Of course it uses a lot of data downloading... it uses data every single time that you purchase an app through the appstore, because it is downloading the app onto your device. Downloading apps is not only a legitimate need, it's the entire purpose of the appstore. If, on the other hand, the appstore is using tons of data doing uploads (i.e. sending data to Amazon) then there might be a problem. Granted, my personal upload total for the Amazon Appstore, for this entire month (26 days combined), is 4.07MB. That's nothing in the realm of data usage.
Quote:

Originally Posted by prismatic (Post 56393496)
Thank you for clearing that up. This is a big no for me too. Unless amazon changes their policy I am not going to install anything from them even it is free.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDRebel (Post 56391480)
Agreed on the concerns

Read the two above responses. It may completely change your understanding.

Quote:

Very true. However, see the following statement:
Quote:

Same here. I prefer to obtain all of my apps through the Amazon Appstore. I don't care to connect the rest of my family to my Google Account and bombard their devices with all of my incoming emails and google talk messages. Plus, the Amazon Appstore has a fully-functioning and intuitive on/off switch for restricting IAPs so that the kids cannot make purchases from their devices.

ONE LAST THING:
This will prevent you from using tons of data, on your wireless carrier, in the Amazon Appstore.

david_bryan 12-26-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nattefrost (Post 56394736)
Doesnt the apple store or itunes require CC info when you sign up even when dling free apps? Whats the difference btw that and amazon appstore?

Wondering the same will I get charged if uninstalling amazon app? Office still works after amazon app was gone.

You won't get charged. If I remember correctly, the app will continue to work until there is an update available for that app. At that time, the app will try to send you to Amazon app store for the update. I think the app is then unusable until you take the update and you will not be able to update any apps downloaded from the Amazon app store through Google Play.

qjj123 12-26-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MozartA (Post 56394172)
You have to register at least ONE device. Either borrow someone else device and register it to your account once. Or try the link below it is a pc/mac program that allows you to install Android App on your computer. Not sure if it can install Amazon Appstore but you can play around with it to try it out.
http://bluestacks.com/indexPC.html

Excellent. Thanks for the info. I had to do it on a PC. Mac version is very limited.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alterego (Post 56394648)
Try bluestacks.com...

Thanks.

VerticalCobra 12-26-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Only a few apps seem to be ok without the Amazon appstore :mad:...TuneInRadio Free and QuickOffice seem to be exceptions.

Amazon Appstore will begin running in the background and can only be stopped by using apps that prevent it from doing so such as ROM Toolbox. I have disabled the Amazon appstore from starting up and it has not interfered in running any Amazon apps or games. :D

Damocles 12-26-2012 11:23 AM

apparently unolingo is the only one i missed during the regular offers. grabbed it.

Damocles 12-26-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CriticalCritic (Post 56394956)
snipped

i found it is a lot easier to refresh/clear amazon app by uninstalling it and reinstalling it. no need for navigating files through ES.

i love amazon, but my only complaint is that occasionally it needs to *connect* for me to use apps. i had just started a 16 hour car ride with kids, and when they turned on the tablet, no games would play because amazon app store couldn't connect to internet. that was frustrating. i have no idea why it happened, games have always been playable offline. i think this has happened 2 or 3 times over 2 years (but only once on long car ride).

jf2go 12-26-2012 11:29 AM

In for 1 OfficeSuite. I can finally ditch QuickOffice so I can print my docs. Thanks OP!

MozartA 12-26-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Very true. However, see the following statement: Same here. I prefer to obtain all of my apps through the Amazon Appstore. I don't care to connect the rest of my family to my Google Account and bombard their devices with all of my incoming emails and google talk messages. Plus, the Amazon Appstore has a fully-functioning and intuitive on/off switch for restricting IAPs so that the kids cannot make purchases from their devices.

If you are setting your Google Accounts like that for all your family Android device, you are doing it wrong.
The best way is create a separate Google account just to buy apps and nothing else. Don't use that for email, google talk, etc. And each Android device can setup to have their own Google Account for device backup. But for google play, setup to use this Google Play account that ONLY use for Google play purchase and nothing else.
As people mentioned before, I believe developers upgrade their apps at Google Play first and sometime it takes them long time to update their apps in Amazon Appstore if at all.
A lot of people willing to buy directly from Google play for a bit more just for that (plus don't have to deal with the extra battery/memory/data usage from Amazon Appstore.

Rumstocker 12-26-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Responses to the common questions and concerns that people are having about the Amazon Appstore

Read the two above responses. It may completely change your understanding.

Very true. However, see the following statement: Same here. I prefer to obtain all of my apps through the Amazon Appstore. I don't care to connect the rest of my family to my Google Account and bombard their devices with all of my incoming emails and google talk messages. Plus, the Amazon Appstore has a fully-functioning and intuitive on/off switch for restricting IAPs so that the kids cannot make purchases from their devices.

ONE LAST THING:

One of the best SD posts I have ever read.

bru20 12-26-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsulistioadi (Post 56394614)
Gees!
Only by "purchasing" all of this apps without installing (considering negative feedbacks in the wiki), I can get ~$8 in amazon MP3 credit. So why complain?

Are you getting the credits? Mine have not been registering for weeks.

I literally spent two hours on live chat on Christmas Eve tring to resolve. Speaking to several people in India, no doubt. I could not believe the things they were telling me. The last thing they said was terms say only $1 per person. This even after I showed them the terms.

Amazon is as bad as any when it comes to CS.

BaseShip 12-26-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VerticalCobra (Post 56395158)
I have disabled the Amazon appstore from starting up and it has not interfered in running any Amazon apps or games. :D

Android novice here...how do you do that?

bru20 12-26-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockmo (Post 56394724)
Are the $1 MP3 credits showing up in your accounts? Or, is that not offered while they're free?

See my post above. After two hours on chat they decided there was a problem with this $1 mp3 credit promotion. I think it was just their way to get rid of me (after they supposedly gave me credits in my account).

MozartA 12-26-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsulistioadi (Post 56394614)
Gees!

Are you sure it is $1 per apps install and not one per customer during the whole promotion period from July to Dec?

In their term and condition, it said ...

5. Limit one promotional credit per customer.

In addition

Promotional offer valid for a limited time only and subject to change. Promotional offer is valid from July 2, 2012 through December 31, 2012 at 11:59 PM PST. You must redeem the credit by January 31, 2013 at 11:59 PM PST.

CriticalCritic 12-26-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MozartA (Post 56395552)
If you are setting your Google Accounts like that for all your family Android device, you are doing it wrong.
The best way is create a separate Google account just to buy apps and nothing else. Don't use that for email, google talk, etc. And each Android device can setup to have their own email. But for google play, setup to use this account that ONLY use for Google play purchase and nothing else.
As people mentioned before, I believe developers upgrade their apps at Google Play first and sometime it takes them long time to update their apps in Amazon Appstore if at all.
A lot of people willing to buy directly from Google play for a bit more just for that (plus don't have to deal with the extra battery/memory/data usage from Amazon Appstore.

I see. So you suggest creating a separate Google account and add it to all devices as a secondary to each device (in addition to the normal essential Google account). I think that's a great idea, but I would still worry about them keeping the accounts straight. In other words, that they might save contacts, or calendar entries, etc, to the separate account. Also, I see no way to remotely disconnect a device from the Google Play account.

Yes, Play definitely gets updates before Amazon, and Play has more apps than Amazon. Personally, I actively avoid taking updates for fear of removing features, adding permissions, and inadvertently including bugs in newer releases that just frustrate me. So that difference really doesn't weigh on my decision-making. However, I really really like your idea as it would be applied to Tasker and Titanium/Mybackup (essential apps that are only available on Google Play). Also, I think it has great uses for apps for which Amazon ONLY offers the Kindle Versions (as is the case with most Gameloft Games).

Thanks for the suggestion!

jachammercyclin 12-26-2012 11:48 AM

Thanks!!! :)

uscpsycho 12-26-2012 11:51 AM

Amazon Free App of the Day Greatest Hits Back Again - Keep Track Pro, TuneIn Radio, Splashtop, Office Suite Pro and more (15 total)

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=tsm_1...2350149011

Looks good!

CriticalCritic 12-26-2012 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rumstocker (Post 56395694)
One of the best SD posts I have ever read.

Thanks! Glad I could help. :nod:

ImYoungxD 12-26-2012 11:58 AM

delete

CriticalCritic 12-26-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damocles (Post 56395400)
i found it is a lot easier to refresh/clear amazon app by uninstalling it and reinstalling it. no need for navigating files through ES.

I know exactly what you mean. It happens when the appstore app somehow gets logged out. It happened to me sometime within this past week. I have an old Evo setup as a VOIP home phone using Google Voice and Groove IP. The trouble is that Groove IP was an app that I picked up as an FAOTD. So when the appstore logged out, I was no longer able to receive phone calls until I noticed what had happened.

I thought that it may have logged out as a result of one of the recent updates, though I have no idea for sure.

Have you considered looking into the wireless hotspot feature for your phone? It would have saved you that headache during that 16 hour drive.

tickle_tickle 12-26-2012 12:08 PM

Just wanted to tell anyone who is curious - OfficeSuite Pro is the best of all of the android office apps (IMO, of course). I've gotten all of them for free via Amazon App of the Day. None of the others could read long (fifty page +) documents, nor could they reflow text for reading.

This app does both. I also use it for note-taking during meetings. It's great for short edits on a phone.

For free, this is an absolute no brainer.

mgftp 12-26-2012 12:56 PM

Can I uninstall this stupid amazon appstore after I install this?

nitemare 12-26-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgftp (Post 56397768)

Yes, but why would you?? Amazon app store is where I get half my stuff from and other half from google play. All works fine on HP Touchpad CM9,.,.

tvo9 12-26-2012 01:01 PM

For people who are asking, OfficeSuite is still working fine after removing Amazon Apps.

DrumTek 12-26-2012 01:06 PM

Ok so I used One Click to cue these up so I coul decide which ones to install. It says to get the app, open the Amazon Appstore but when I do that, I don't see them anywhere. Anyone know where I have to navigate in the amazon appstore to download these at a later date?

in5ane 12-26-2012 01:11 PM

excellent post OP, thanks a bunch

Landshark77 12-26-2012 01:20 PM

I dl the office app on to my Nexus 7 just fine. I want to install it on my kids Nabis as well but when I go to purchase it I get notification that I already own it and to check my Apps. I can see it in my apps on the browser, the app store on the Nexus 7, but not the app store on the Nabis. where can I find it to install on the Nabis? It says it is compatable in my apps page on Amazon. Thanx!

dcmanryan 12-26-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgftp (Post 56397768)

You can but your paid apps you got free won't work you got from Amazon.

shadowsjc 12-26-2012 01:50 PM

i have the officesuite app installed from a previous free giveaway - i personally like the Excel feature on it better than any of the comparable Office apps (docs 2 go and quickoffice)

landon87 12-26-2012 01:53 PM

just got it for my padfone 2 thanks

house kitten 12-26-2012 02:04 PM

I have amazon app on my nexus 7. I have paid for the apps but they still do not show up on my nexus 7. I get no notification that I have apps to download.

Bajanqueen 12-26-2012 02:15 PM

Thank you!!

veggie59 12-26-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragonol2 (Post 56392928)
In short, yes. Any app you install is added to your Amazon app cloud and is available to download to your new device once you upgrade (confirmed since I've done the same thing on my last few Samsung Galaxy phones...)

Thanks!!

dwarf_tossr 12-26-2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

I like the way that Quickoffice Pro displays .doc files better, it seems to always properly format the ascii-style charts and stuff that teachers like to do sometimes. Office Suite Pro is very capable though, and will work just fine for most.

Also, reps and such to the OP. And yes, it *is* quite possible that Amazon is doing this for new Kindle owners, heh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumTek (Post 56398074)
Anyone know where I have to navigate in the amazon appstore to download these at a later date?

Hit the menu button and navigate to "My Apps" in the amazon appstore app, then select "Cloud" and they will be listed there. Going from memory but that's the gist.

Nattefrost 12-26-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prismatic (Post 56393496)

Google play app does the same and is even more intrusive. Doesnt bother me bc in this day and age eveything is available if you are after it.

pdxman1 12-26-2012 04:11 PM

Quote:

Quote from pdxman1

I couldn't figure out how to quote properly from that big post, so above is the best I could do.

No, I wasn't talking about the data to download the apps. I only downloaded a few apps and then months later noticed that the amazon appstore app was using lots of data all the time. It was a while back, so it may or may not be the case with the current version. I guess it could have been some problem with the installation on my phone, but when it happened I did some googling and others were reporting similar massive data usage by the Amazon Appstore, so it wasn't just me.

Anyway I don't like the idea of having to put up with whatever Amazon decides it wants to do in order to get their apps. Yes, I know its the same with the google play app, but that is a necessity for using the Android OS.

mgftp 12-26-2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcmanryan (Post 56398690)
You can but your paid apps you got free won't work you got from Amazon.

Terrible ... but thanks for the reply.

VerticalCobra 12-26-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaseShip (Post 56395738)
Android novice here...how do you do that?

You need to be rooted and you need to install ROM Toolbox [google.com]. You can shut off programs that auto start using Auto Start Manager in Tools section of ROM Toolbox.

dmcccdmn 12-26-2012 07:48 PM

Thank you and repped everyone that tried to help me and eventually pointed to the Bluestacks solution that works flawlessly. Finally able to grab these free apps. Have been missing out on so many but I can now start collecting these freebies. Thank you.

Fuwapa 12-26-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MozartA (Post 56393532)
For Splashtop, they have the newer version Splashtop 2 which is ALWAYS free but need to pay yearly subscription fee to use over 3G/4G/internet.

And based on Amazon review below, they intentionally make Splashtop Desktop worse so people will get Splashtop 2 and pay for the yearly subscription to use over 3G/4G/internet.

Amazon review:

I have used Splashtop Remote Desktop for a long time. I have both the SD and HD version. Google Play doesn't let me install the HD version on my phone go figure... I've also tried Splashtop 2, since it give you a few days to test it over internet for free.
From what I can tell, the original Splashtop has a hard time with ports. If i setup ports properly I get a good connection with decent latency. I can even watch 720p videos streaming from my computer at home over the internet at work. I don't think the bandwidth is really that demanding. I rarely get speedtests over 3mbps at work and the image is just a little more choppy than home on wifi. If you get this setup and you get horrible latency over the internet (like just 10 seconds per update) it's probably the port setup.
Splashtop 2 seems to do it more streamlined. I could get the internet connection going without any port forwarding. It didn't seem any snappier though. It also supports HD resolutions, which is useful for the new high res tablets and phones.
So if you need internet streaming, can get the ports setup, and don't need resolution above 1280x800: go with Splashtop 1.
If you don't need internet streaming, and need HD resolutions: go with Splashtop 2.

lizzy210 12-26-2012 09:03 PM

Thanks!

Samwise Gamgee 12-26-2012 10:52 PM

Sorry noob question. I've searched, but I might not be using the right keywords.
Also, I haven't used my Touchpad in a while, so I might be out of touch.

Can I get this on my HP Touchpad with Android? Or, do I need to have the Kindle Fire?

Or, do I just need the Amazon AppStore application, and then I can download for free? Can I get the Amazon AppStore from Google Market (or is it now called "Play")?

Thanks in advance!

balloonshark 12-27-2012 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by house kitten (Post 56399660)
I have amazon app on my nexus 7. I have paid for the apps but they still do not show up on my nexus 7. I get no notification that I have apps to download.

I also didn't see the notifications. If they did download click on your home button then click the circle with the 6 dots right above the home button. Your apps should be in that list of apps.

If you still can't find them start up the Amazon app store, click the 3 vertical dots in the lower right hand corner. Now click "My Apps" and it should list the apps and will let you either open them or install/download them.

peppermint 12-27-2012 02:28 AM

thanks