Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Deal Talk (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Back. Arctic Cooling MX-2-1.5 MX-2 Thermal Compound 1.5Gram $.99 f/s (http://slickdeals.net/f/5746244-back-arctic-cooling-mx-2-1-5-mx-2-thermal-compound-1-5gram-99-f-s)

shoemaker909 12-26-2012 09:16 AM

Back. Arctic Cooling MX-2-1.5 MX-2 Thermal Compound 1.5Gram $.99 f/s

1 Attachment(s)
Arctic Cooling MX-2-1.5 MX-2 Thermal Compound 1.5Gram from Mwave via Ebay $.99 shipped

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arctic-Co...660033511?

Description:
ARCTIC MX-2 is the thermal compound offering high thermal conductivity and low thermal resistance to dissipate heat efficiently from CPU / GPU to the installed heatsink.

The ARCTIC MX-2 compound is composed of carbon micro-particles which lead to an extremely high thermal conductivity. It guarantees that heat from the CPU or GPU can be dissipated quickly and efficiently. With its performance, the ARCTIC MX-2 outperforms other well-known thermal compounds in the market.

As the ARCTIC MX-2 does not contain any metallic particles so electrical conductivity will not be an issue. Unlike other silver and copper compounds, the ARCTIC MX-2 ensures that contact with any electrical pins would not result in any sort of damage. Moreover the ARCTIC MX-2 is very easy to apply as it has ideal consistency.

Technical Information:
Thermal Conductivity W/(mK) 5.6
Viscosity (poise) 850
Density (g/cm3) 3.96
Net Weight 1.5g

yuugotserved 12-26-2012 09:16 AM

Arctic Cooling MX-2 Thermal Compound (1.5 Gram) $1 + Free Shipping

1 Attachment(s)
Mwave via eBay has Arctic Cooling MX-2 Thermal Compound (1.5 Gram) for $0.99 with free shipping. Thanks shoemaker909

wikipost 12-26-2012 09:16 AM

This post can and should be edited by users like you :)

DEAD! 1500 sold and no longer availble.

This post can be edited by most users to provide up-to-date information about developments of this thread based on user responses, and user findings. Feel free to add, change or remove information shown here as it becomes available. This includes new coupons, rebates, ideas, thread summary, and similar items.

Once a Thread Wiki is added to a thread, "Create Wiki" button will disappear. If you would like to learn more about Thread Wiki feature, click here.

njoy7788 12-26-2012 03:00 PM

cool. in 4 1

Loogs 12-26-2012 06:00 PM

Thanks for posting. I purchased 2.

Price is a steal with free shipping, I'm skeptical to the quality... (old stock?)

I'm not too worried, though, as I've read online that thermal compound will retain consistency after many, many years of (proper) storage. Removing plunger & stirring contents before application probably wouldn't hurt.

JirafaBo 12-26-2012 06:24 PM

Can anyone explain to a noob how a compound dissipates heat? Never built my own pc but have looked into it and thermal compounds have always made me wonder.

zero2dash 12-26-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loogs (Post 56404794)
Price is a steal with free shipping, I'm skeptical to the quality... (old stock?)

It's MX2, and now you can get MX3 and MX4. Minor temperature difference between them and any other thermal compounds, but it's still very good stuff and easily comparable to stuff 10x as much.

Loogs 12-26-2012 06:34 PM

JirafaBo, to explain simply, the thermal compound fills in the microscopic gaps between & on the surfaces of the CPU & its heat sink. This allows them to contact better for more efficient heat dissipation, which is relative to the overall life of your CPU & especially important when you are overclocking.

It is my understanding that many beginners sometimes apply too much compound; an entire tube for example. This is a situation where "less is more", just enough to get the job done, sometimes referenced as a "pea-sized" amount, give or take.

kinglee 12-26-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JirafaBo (Post 56405298)
Can anyone explain to a noob how a compound dissipates heat? Never built my own pc but have looked into it and thermal compounds have always made me wonder.

Not sure if you are trolling are really asking, but anyway.............

you have to put a heatsink on top of every processor to cool it down. As you can imagine, there will be a small air gap between the top of the processor and the heat sink. this compound basically fills that gap so that heat an be properly conducted from the processor to the heatsink and disipatted.

zero2dash 12-26-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loogs (Post 56405538)
JirafaBo, to explain simply, the thermal compound fills in the microscopic gaps between & on the surfaces of the CPU & its heat sink. This allows them to contact better for more efficient heat dissipation, which is relative to the overall life of your CPU & especially important when you are overclocking.

It is my understanding that many beginners sometimes apply too much compound; an entire tube for example. This is a situation where "less is more", just enough to get the job done, sometimes referenced as a "pea-sized" amount, give or take.

All true. I believe it's really any machined metallic surfaces such as aluminum, copper, or steel. Even the most smooth, polished looking surfaces such as the lid of a CPU have microscopic pits and craters. Thermal compound fills in those holes and provides a good solid contact surface between the two pieces; in this case, the lid of the CPU and the bottom of the heatsink.

In a pinch, you can even use a piece of cheese [hardocp.com] (though I'd replace that as soon as possible with some real compound :lmao:).

inCTomi 12-26-2012 06:46 PM

Got this for my first build! good price

Loogs 12-26-2012 06:48 PM

Thanks for the clarification, zero2dash. This is definitely a quality product. I have looked at comparison tests before & the difference is usually just a few degrees Celsius between something like MX-2 & the "best of the best".

The argument for striving for those extra few degrees of cooling power via thermal compound is probably only voiced by those building the absolute latest, energy-vacuuming gaming powerhouse machine that is pushed to run overclocked for many hours everyday day.

JirafaBo 12-26-2012 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zero2dash (Post 56405654)
All true. I believe it's really any machined metallic surfaces such as aluminum, copper, or steel. Even the most smooth, polished looking surfaces such as the lid of a CPU have microscopic pits and craters. Thermal compound fills in those holes and provides a good solid contact surface between the two pieces; in this case, the lid of the CPU and the bottom of the heatsink.

In a pinch, you can even use a piece of cheese [hardocp.com] (though I'd replace that as soon as possible with some real compound :lmao:).

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinglee (Post 56405610)

you have to put a heatsink on top of every processor to cool it down. As you can imagine, there will be a small air gap between the top of the processor and the heat sink. this compound basically fills that gap so that heat an be properly conducted from the processor to the heatsink and disipatted.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loogs (Post 56405538)

Definitely not trolling. I guess my trouble is actually knowing what a heat sink is. But now I at least know what the compound does, just provides a better bridge for the heat to move to the heat sink. I guess this compound is some kind of technological advancement as it's usually an expensive add on when ordering pre built pc's. I would think if it just needs such a small amount itd just be part of every build.

JirafaBo 12-26-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zero2dash (Post 56405654)

Which is ironic because on many metal products, the more surface area, the better the heat dissipates. That's why we see grated/ribbed metal pieces in a radiator, etc.

zero2dash 12-26-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loogs (Post 56405828)
Thanks for the clarification, zero2dash. This is definitely a quality product. I have looked at comparison tests before & the difference is usually just a few degrees Celsius between something like MX-2 & the "best of the best".

And oddly enough you can clean off and reapply thermal compound more than once and you probably won't get any consistent results anyway. :nod: I've used several and I'll admit that I buy something that's name brand, but between the ones I've had (AS5, ZM-STG1, NT-H1, OCZ Freeze, MX-2)...really the minor difference is application method (since the ZM-STG1 spreads like nail polish, and the others are generally a 'small dab in the middle'). I can't really say one is so much better temp wise than another; I'll leave that up to the reviewers and people who go nuts over as little as 1/2 a degree. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JirafaBo (Post 56406424)
Definitely not trolling. I guess my trouble is actually knowing what a heat sink is. But now I at least know what the compound does, just provides a better bridge for the heat to move to the heat sink. I guess this compound is some kind of technological advancement as it's usually an expensive add on when ordering pre built pc's. I would think if it just needs such a small amount itd just be part of every build.

Stock coolers always have it preapplied and the stock compound is a lot more solid, almost like a wax base (because it melts and spreads the 1st time you power the system on). Most of the aftermarket coolers all come with compound, some better than others. Again as I stated above....I've used several, and I can't really say preference. I just get what's on sale, cheap, and actually is a decent brand. Stuff in a tub or a plastic baggie....I'm not going to buy that stuff. I'd rather use cheese until a tube of something was delivered (or I walked into Microcenter and bought a tube). :lol:

I bought 3 tubes of $0.99 cent MX-2 about a month ago just for future use, because my AS5 was just about gone and the Freeze I have is about 1/2 left. From what I understand....compound typically doesn't really have a shelf life; I've heard people say that they store AS5 upside down or in the fridge, or they 'stir' it with a toothpick because the elements separate over time. My experience has been that I use the stuff every few months anyway, and it'll probably take years to actually lose any consistency, and by that time, the tube's empty anyway. :)

Manadyne 12-26-2012 07:30 PM

I also like that these are 1.5gram, so I'm not going to be sad if some coworker walks off with it.

bigsid05 12-26-2012 08:04 PM

Thanks OP. Picked a few up.

baphomet58 12-26-2012 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinglee (Post 56405610)

Why would he be trolling you jerk? I'm sure 90%+ of the population doesn't know thermal compound exists or what it does.

mister42 12-26-2012 08:17 PM

Thanks, bought two. Repped and TU.

MillaTyme 12-26-2012 08:18 PM

"Arctic Cooling" eh? Will this work on a nasty hemorrhoid?

justainchoe 12-26-2012 08:23 PM

Thanks OP. In for 5 (limit).

lawchingto 12-26-2012 08:24 PM

good deal

BoldIntrepid 12-26-2012 08:24 PM

This dries up if you don't use it right?

hammurabi1337 12-26-2012 08:28 PM

You know SD has spoiled you when $1 is too expensive... Thermal Compound is free after rebate at least once a month, MX-4 just was a week or two ago.

Venger 12-26-2012 08:31 PM

Got me 1 - never know when you might need some, .99 is just right...

Cify 12-26-2012 08:37 PM

in for 2! thanks op TU

Windows7User 12-26-2012 08:42 PM

Good deal for those that missed out on the mx-4 4gram tubes that were FAR from newegg.

doema 12-26-2012 08:43 PM

In 4 2

gtmaster303 12-26-2012 08:46 PM

How do I snort this?

Vossy 12-26-2012 08:52 PM

Ordered 2, thanks op.

kefe 12-26-2012 08:55 PM

Thanks, bought 3. Ran out of paste a long time ago when I used what came with my Megahalem. You never know when you'll need them. I had a MX-3 with a little paste left over and used it on my old 7600gt that was always running hot. It took 15 degrees off of it.

WhiteFireDragon 12-26-2012 08:56 PM

This stuff works really well. Better than the average paste you can buy. I applied this paste between the CPU die and IHS and got an average of 20C drop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXs0I5kuoX4

Baddogdaddy 12-26-2012 08:58 PM

Is this a good compound to use when refreshing the paste on the ps3? I'm about to do a tear down and cleaning on it. Thanks

John88 12-26-2012 08:58 PM

Ordered 2, thanks!

sp4rkyblue 12-26-2012 09:01 PM

Got two, thanks!

rhenium1 12-26-2012 09:02 PM

awesome, missed this the past couple times.
the super cheap stuff i used in my laptop is throwing off the fan sensor

lizzy210 12-26-2012 09:08 PM

thanks

elf 12-26-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JirafaBo (Post 56405298)

One thing to be aware of: dont ever apply too much thermal goop. Less is more, you really only need a paper thin coating on your cpu and you are good to go.

A rice grain sized amount in the center, and then you can use a piece of plastic to evenly spread that over the whole area.

I asked a buddy of mine what her IT guys use on their servers and she told me Arctic Silver 5. She also said they use Windex to clean thermal paste off when they have to re-apply it. Typically Ive used 90% pure alcohol, but next time I will give the Windex trick a try.

Just be wary of any thermal paste that has metal in it, because a stray blob of it on your mobo can short it out. AS5 has metal in it, this MX2 doesnt.

When in doubt, google the directions on how a company suggest to apply their paste or read some pages that talk about paste application in general. There are a few different methods.

Cracktower 12-26-2012 09:13 PM

in 4 1, even though most fans come with paste anyway and this will do at least 5 builds.

lilbuddy 12-26-2012 09:26 PM

Sure, why not. Might do a build in a while so this could come in handy. Better to buy for $1 than bother looking for my 6 year old stuff.

itaintrite 12-26-2012 09:35 PM

In for 50 so I can resell on eBay! ;P

BuffaloBillius 12-26-2012 09:39 PM

Great price. Includes free UPS shipping too? Damn.

Wow. Just made it. Ordered 3rd from the end.

macbooker 12-26-2012 09:41 PM

Jesus, 1500 pcs sold! The deal is dead now.

BaconMode 12-26-2012 09:41 PM

Sold out, clicked Buy Now and it's over :(

elektrosha 12-26-2012 09:49 PM

I use only Arctic Silver 5. Its way more expensive, but it works very well

5thElement 12-26-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elektrosha (Post 56409534)
I use only Arctic Silver 5. Its way more expensive, but it works very well

This MX-2 is better than Arctic Silver 5.

peppermint 12-27-2012 01:24 AM

thanks

stopspazzing 12-27-2012 12:07 PM

All 1,500 were sold. Listing is closed. No more for sale. :(

elektrosha 12-27-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5thElement (Post 56410640)
Quote from elektrosha :I use only Arctic Silver 5. Its way more expensive, but it works very well

This MX-2 is better than Arctic Silver 5.

Just checked some forums and whey appears to be about the same with AS5 easier to apply

Slickone_ 12-28-2012 08:46 AM

Someone here [tomshardware.com] says most reviews say MX-2 is easier to apply (maybe he's confused). :confused: It would seem the thinner ones would be the easiest(?), whichever that is. Though I doesn't seem any of them would be much trouble to apply.

This [hardwaresecrets.com] test seems to say that AS5 is maybe better than even MX-4. You have to look at the difference column. Room was 3 deg hotter for the AS5 test, but core temp was still only 1 deg higher than MX-4. And they didn't let them break in either. Arctic Silver says: "Due to the unique shape and sizes of the particles in Arctic Silver 5's conductive matrix, it will take a up to 200 hours and several thermal cycles to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity."

But, Arctic Silver dries out and has to be reapplied periodically. Does MX-2? Also AS is conductive which can be bad.