Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Hot Deals (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Nook tablet 16GB @cowboom for $80 + FS (http://slickdeals.net/f/5782752-nook-tablet-16gb-cowboom-for-80-fs)

ltn999 01-05-2013 12:44 PM

Nook tablet 16GB @cowboom for $80 + FS

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.cowboom.com/product/1056950

wikipost 01-05-2013 12:44 PM

This post can and should be edited by users like you :)

This post can be edited by most users to provide up-to-date information about developments of this thread based on user responses, and user findings. Feel free to add, change or remove information shown here as it becomes available. This includes new coupons, rebates, ideas, thread summary, and similar items.

Once a Thread Wiki is added to a thread, "Create Wiki" button will disappear. If you would like to learn more about Thread Wiki feature, click here.

dbz 01-05-2013 12:53 PM

4 and 5 only, meh.

jimuk 01-05-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbz (Post 56645048)
4 and 5 only, meh.

CBs grade doesn't mean whole lot. Many Grade 7 I got are horrible and many Grade 4/5 I got are almost New.

questioneer 01-05-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimuk (Post 56645068)
CBs grade doesn't mean whole lot. Many Grade 7 I got are horrible and many Grade 4/5 I got are almost New.

that makes no sense at all =/ i got a grade 4 and it was terrible. you got ripped off if you got a bad grade 7.

jimuk 01-05-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedukey3 (Post 56645092)
that makes no sense at all =/ i got a grade 4 and it was terrible. you got ripped off if you got a bad grade 7.

With paid Return I have no issues just sending that back.

smokarz 01-05-2013 12:57 PM

No AC Adapter? No USB? Scratches?

trader14 01-05-2013 01:09 PM

in for a 6 - never had a problem with a 5 or above ever

kris259 01-05-2013 01:10 PM

great price... lowest its been I think... by 10 bucks... would roll the dice on grade 4-5 with cowbooms easy free return

Erechtheus 01-05-2013 01:12 PM

I'd suggest the grade isn't as important as the pics. I have seen grade 7s that look worse than grade 4s before since it appears it's just some jackass associate at the buying store that picks the number.

jimuk 01-05-2013 01:14 PM

How JB runs on this? Is it smooth or Custom ROM ,JB, is not so smooth on this?

monkeybiz 01-05-2013 01:15 PM

nice, a late xmas gift, thanks!

Erechtheus 01-05-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimuk (Post 56645458)
How JB runs on this? Is it smooth or Custom ROM ,JB, is not so smooth on this?

I don't even have the latest update on my daughter's NT yet, but the one that is on there runs very nicely. I'd say it rivals my N7 under surfing and even Netflix conditions. In the benchmarks I ran, it is faster than my JB Touchpad.

laowan 01-05-2013 01:23 PM

Got a grade 6!

jimuk 01-05-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erechtheus (Post 56645552)
I don't even have the latest update on my daughter's NT yet, but the one that is on there runs very nicely. I'd say it rivals my N7 under surfing and even Netflix conditions. In the benchmarks I ran, it is faster than my JB Touchpad.

Thanks..Just got one Grade 6 :)

malluprince 01-05-2013 01:38 PM

Just for perspective, BN via eBay had a Certified Pre-owned one for $95 with shipping, and including one year warranty. And these look like brand new.

Erechtheus 01-05-2013 01:40 PM

I tipped my dad to this deal and he bought one. He was a bit jealous of my daughter's.

jimuk 01-05-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malluprince (Post 56645964)
Just for perspective, BN via eBay had a Certified Pre-owned one for $95 with shipping, and including one year warranty. And these look like brand new.

Here with 1 year plan you pay $80 + $8.99
with 2 year plan you pay $80 +$16.99

Tax will be same in either case.

With CB you got option of Free Return as well.

Damocles 01-05-2013 02:04 PM

i've had great experiences with CB. i've bought a 5, 5, and 8 of various electronics, and all looked new. not even scratches on the screen.

zc8 01-05-2013 02:13 PM

Do you have a link? I would like to buy one if that is true.
Quote:

Originally Posted by malluprince (Post 56645964)

Erechtheus 01-05-2013 02:15 PM

I think the operative word there is "HAD". I know of no source of certified preowned NT for a reasonable price at the moment. They may be out there, but they're being held back like we suspect Amazon has held back 1st gen Kindle Fires if they do exist.

gumby8024 01-05-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damocles (Post 56646420)
i've had great experiences with CB. i've bought a 5, 5, and 8 of various electronics, and all looked new. not even scratches on the screen.

was there detailed description for scratches on them? i see some have description about scratches and some don't have any at all.

GIRay 01-05-2013 02:36 PM

Does it has GPS?

ksm 01-05-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GIRay (Post 56646892)
Does it has GPS?

No GPS.

GIRay 01-05-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksm (Post 56646904)
No GPS.

That sucks. I'll wait for the Nexus 7 because I can put Navigon on Nexus 7.
But I might buy the nook for kids tho. They don't need GPS.

pizzaslut 01-05-2013 02:41 PM

Got a refurb on eBay during the BF deal for $60. These tablets are too heavy for reading. The screen leaves a little to be desired. Root was easy as was flashing. The sd setup on this must have not been product tested because it's a pita.

namlook 01-05-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimuk (Post 56645068)

I've never seen a bad 7 or a 4/5 that looked almost new. I have found the grades to be pretty accurate and have bought a lot of stuff. Usually 6 or better is acceptable. Once you get to 5 it's a crapshoot.

Damocles 01-05-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by medcee (Post 56646774)
was there detailed description for scratches on them? i see some have description about scratches and some don't have any at all.

i don't recall the details, but i think the two 5s (phones) generically said "some damage" and the photos were not detailed enough to verify. so i was pleased.

larryc 01-05-2013 02:55 PM

Couple of quick comments:
- Yes, it runs JB fine. Check out XDA-developers.com

- Note that it doesn't come with a charger or usb cable. You can charge the Nook Tablet with a standard charger, but it will charge VERY slowly (e.g, overnight). If you want fast charging, you'll need to use the proprietary cable & charger, which is not included. And, there are no 3rd parties that make this cable.
The cable from B&N is $15 here http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/n...t/23055743
BN seems to be out of the charger, but in theory you could use another 2A charger with the special cable to get fast charging.

spydersdeals69 01-05-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pizzaslut (Post 56646994)
Got a refurb on eBay during the BF deal for $60. These tablets are too heavy for reading. The screen leaves a little to be desired. Root was easy as was flashing. The sd setup on this must have not been product tested because it's a pita.

Agree about the weight. Sucks if you buy a used one that hasn't been de-registered, since it's virtually worthless if you aren't interested in rooting or jailbreaking, as you can never register it, even if you have proof of purchase.

kris259 01-05-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erechtheus (Post 56645552)

how is JB on the touchpad, everything working or not? smooth? worth upgrading yet or should I stick with CM9 ICS?

izx 01-05-2013 03:26 PM

If you buy one without the USB cable, you should know that these come with a proprietary micro-USB cable which is twice as deep as a regular micro-USB plug. The Nook will only charge at full rate (up to 2 amps) with this proprietary cable. With a regular micro-USB charging is limited to 0.5A/500mA no matter which charger you use. Needless to say, that's about eight hours for a full charge versus two with the included cable.

Freeheeler 01-05-2013 03:35 PM

Sold out....
Thanks for the head-up, though, OP.

Erechtheus 01-05-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kris259 (Post 56647614)
how is JB on the touchpad, everything working or not? smooth? worth upgrading yet or should I stick with CM9 ICS?

The JCScullins 12-16 version is I think clearly better than CM9 and features a working camera. I preferred the prior versions of CM10, but they were clearly objectively inferior to CM9. I think the next time he releases a build it may be near perfect (and I wonder if he will then move to CM10.1).

Quote:

Originally Posted by izx (Post 56647856)
If you buy one without the USB cable, you should know that these come with a proprietary micro-USB cable which is twice as deep as a regular micro-USB plug. The Nook will only charge at full rate (up to 2 amps) with this proprietary cable. With a regular micro-USB charging is limited to 0.5A/500mA no matter which charger you use. Needless to say, that's about eight hours for a full charge versus two with the included cable.

The other side of this is that with some relatively great regularity, Cowboom items listed as coming without accessories come with accessories. I bought a LG bluray that listed no remote but came with one, for instance. Since this is sold out, it's just a suggestion to those who got in that they open the box before buying the $20 cable since it may be included after all.

tda388 01-05-2013 03:46 PM

i got a grade 5 last time this came up and it looked almost brand new to my eyes. for fast charging i use the touchpad charger (or any 5v2a equivalent). very easy to root though you have to do some digging for the best method. the xda forums are a bit of a mess with relation to this particular tablet. i don't find it too heavy to read with personally, and in fact that's mostly what i use it for though it's totally fine for light surfing and simple games. no lag or annoyances here.

flancrest 01-05-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GIRay (Post 56646980)
That sucks. I'll wait for the Nexus 7 because I can put Navigon on Nexus 7.
But I might buy the nook for kids tho. They don't need GPS.

It doesn't have cell data, so I really don't understand the need for GPS. You need wifi for the maps to work regardless, and if you have wifi access, you know where you are.

No GPS on a tablet seems trivial when every cell phone in the last five years has it.

The wikis in the deal talk threads on the CPOs from bensoutlet have all you need to know to mod these for CM10 which runs brilliantly.

Erechtheus 01-05-2013 03:59 PM

Some people do subsist on a feature-phone and a hotspot.

FreeBaGeL 01-05-2013 04:32 PM

What kind of battery life does this get when running a JB rom?

lurewars 01-05-2013 04:46 PM

Good Dea! Not the tablet I would buy, but if you insist on getting a sub $100 tablet I don't think you can beat this. My sister has one and her and her kids love it and use it all the time. Decent screen, nice build quality, SD card reader. Just add a sound boosting app and a plug and play speaker and you've got a decent little set up for cheap.

kellyhsieh 01-05-2013 05:05 PM

Got 2 for my kids for Christmas paying $9 more via ebay deal. Installed CyanogenMod 10. Runs better than a samsung galaxy tab. Absolutely amazing.

2000subaru 01-05-2013 06:30 PM

Just put JellyBean on a Micro SD card to bootload for the kids. Did it myself, the instructions on the web are really easy, and it works pretty flawlessly...so far. Great to have the Play Store back instead of the expensive B&N market!

Buckeyefan 1 01-05-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larryc (Post 56647232)
Couple of quick comments:
- Yes, it runs JB fine. Check out XDA-developers.com

- Note that it doesn't come with a charger or usb cable. You can charge the Nook Tablet with a standard charger, but it will charge VERY slowly (e.g, overnight). If you want fast charging, you'll need to use the proprietary cable & charger, which is not included. And, there are no 3rd parties that make this cable.
The cable from B&N is $15 here http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/n...t/23055743
BN seems to be out of the charger, but in theory you could use another 2A charger with the special cable to get fast charging.

It's the worst cable ever made. Horrid design. You're better to use an aftermarket cable and let it charge overnight, and not damage the female insert. The original will bend, as it's too stiff. Read the reviews.

Will the Nook Tablet download and play Tegra 3 games?

mogadgets 01-05-2013 07:44 PM

I did it for the nook :shake:

chrisperkins21 01-05-2013 08:05 PM

game over

geniv 01-05-2013 08:31 PM

deal is ok, I got in on the Nook tablet 16gb from ebay a few weeks ago for $90.

the unit came with box and everying and it is practically new. sure it's $10 more but seems well worth it for the peace of mind. the Cowboom deals are a hit or miss with the quality (though I bought about 4 or 5 tablets from them and they are in pretty good conditions. but some other people have different luck)(

slycat 01-05-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flancrest (Post 56648478)
It doesn't have cell data, so I really don't understand the need for GPS. You need wifi for the maps to work regardless, and if you have wifi access, you know where you are.

No GPS on a tablet seems trivial when every cell phone in the last five years has it.

The wikis in the deal talk threads on the CPOs from bensoutlet have all you need to know to mod these for CM10 which runs brilliantly.

knowing where you are and having a gps can be very different things

sklar 01-05-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeBaGeL (Post 56649078)
What kind of battery life does this get when running a JB rom?

I used mine for 3-4 hours off and on the last two days and still have ~50% battery left. Running cm10 from mid last month.

It was squirrely at first, giving me some problems when running from the microsd. I flashed the internal memory and it was still giving me error messages, but after a day or so the messages stopped and its been pretty reliable since.

Nice tablet. I can hold it comfortably in one hand in either portrait or landscape. The speech recognition is a bit better than my phone and is quite reliable. The performance has been great...nothing at all to complain about. I bought an asus tf300t and returned it because I didn't see that it was really any faster than this tablet except in benchmarks. Visibly, this was about the same in browsing, email, youtube, etc. But I don't play 3d games or any of the higher end cpu demand stuff.

Only thing I'm missing is a camera, but my phone has that. Screen isn't a retina display obviously, but in this size I think most would find it good. More responsive than the tf300t. I like that JB has auto zooming features...when you tap on a link or button and theres a crowd of them, it expands a large zoom window of the area you touched so you can more easily select what you really want. That makes the smaller screen form factor really usable. Wish I could get JB for my phone.

In landscape mode, its the same width as my ipad 2...just have to scroll more when reading,..

zanetheinsane 01-05-2013 11:20 PM

CM10 runs pretty well. Was playing Minecraft PE and Ragnarok Rebellion of the Valkyrie with literally no problems. Bought one for my nephew during the ebay CPO sale and liked it so much I got a second one for myself during the 1SAD deal.

I am running it off the internal memory though. I didn't like the speed when I was dual booting from the SD card but that might have been related to the SD card brand/speed. I know a few others in the thread could see a difference as well.

These seem to be hitting this price pretty consistently, but these tablets are amazing at this price with Android. They are amazingly easier to flash than those cheap Coby tablets you see for around the same price, and the Nook tablet runs about as fast as my HP Touchpad.

Iskander 01-06-2013 07:53 PM

I picked one of these up from that sale a day website. I've got it running CM10 from a microSD. my battery life seems to be only around 5 hours though. Is anyone else experiencing this?

jjstables 01-07-2013 10:37 AM

Now it's OOS.

monkeybiz 01-07-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjstables (Post 56683144)
Now it's OOS.

not surprised, good deal if you get a good grade. Mine just shipped. I have a Nook Color with android but never use it anymore since it's sluggish. I like having a smaller backup to my Sony S.

krnflyboy 01-07-2013 11:24 PM

got a Grade 5. hope it's good enough to keep =)

joesai 01-08-2013 12:29 AM

deal is dead?

susiel2 01-08-2013 06:08 AM

Thanks appreciate this thread, as far as Cowboom goes i had a great experience with a laptop in fantastic condition grade 5 back in October. Recently got a Nintendo 3ds grade 6 it was NOT in good condition to many scratches as well as not all the buttons are responsive so i will be seeing how to go about a return today oh the laptop came in just a few days this time the Nintendo came over 10 days.
I am very pleased with my before black Friday great price lap top , the Nintendo 3ds not so much. So i guess it is a hit and miss....

SonyZ3compact 01-08-2013 06:10 AM

Ive had 3 different nook tablets, installed different version of cm10 on each one and they all died.

zanetheinsane 01-08-2013 06:15 AM

The latest build claims to have fixed the "sleep of death" which may be what did your NTs in. Here is a link to that one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/s...?t=2043867 (This is just pure Android btw, not CM10 but I believe that one may be fixed too)

For any new owners, here is the link to XDA's Nook Tablet forum: http://forum.xda-developers.com/f...php?f=1397

fljoemon 01-08-2013 06:29 AM

I am been running CM10 off an microSDHC card and it has been great. Just go here http://iamafanof.wordpress.com/20...ok-tablet/ and download the image file and write it to the microSDHC card using WinImage. This way you can run Jellybean from the microSDHC card and if need run the default B&N operating system from the internal EMMC partition.

SonyZ3compact 01-08-2013 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zanetheinsane (Post 56704146)
The latest build claims to have fixed the "sleep of death" which may be what did your NTs in. Here is a link to that one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/s...?t=2043867 (This is just pure Android btw, not CM10 but I believe that one may be fixed too)

For any new owners, here is the link to XDA's Nook Tablet forum: http://forum.xda-developers.com/f...php?f=1397

All the roms I used had deep sleep fix, the tablets wouldnt turn back on after battery drained a few times.

enrlover 01-11-2013 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000subaru (Post 56650988)
Just put JellyBean on a Micro SD card to bootload for the kids. Did it myself, the instructions on the web are really easy, and it works pretty flawlessly...so far. Great to have the Play Store back instead of the expensive B&N market!

Which SD card class and size and which ROM did you load? Thanks

2000subaru 01-12-2013 11:20 AM

Just bought a cheap Sandisk 8GB Class 6 at the Walmart. I used the following instructions:

http://www.androidtablets.net/for...ablet.html

It was for the kids and they love it. I have noticed the wireless drop off a few times though.

monkeybiz 01-12-2013 01:03 PM

my grade 5 arrived in perfect condition, looks brand new without a scratch! Like others have said it's a hit and miss with cowboom. I returned two phones that were horrible but my faith has been restored in cowboom. Only wish it had bluetooth for streaming to my BT reciever. I think I'll stick with the stock OS for now, does what I want. My old nook color case and stand should work and I have plenty of microSD cards.

mprayii 01-12-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeybiz (Post 56808488)
my grade 5 arrived in perfect condition, looks brand new without a scratch! Like others have said it's a hit and miss with cowboom. I returned two phones that were horrible but my faith has been restored in cowboom. Only wish it had bluetooth for streaming to my BT reciever. I think I'll stick with the stock OS for now, does what I want. My old nook color case and stand should work and I have plenty of microSD cards.

did it have a power cord? I dont expect one, but I have my fingers crossed :)

bru_that 01-12-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enrlover (Post 56800140)
Which SD card class and size and which ROM did you load? Thanks

I don't have the Tablet, but as someone that does have a Nook Color running android off of an SD card (and have also run android on an old Windows phone off SD), let me say that the class rating of the SD card means nothing in terms of how the OS will run compared to the overall quality of the card.

If you are getting one of these to run regular android, just get a Sandisk card of whatever size you require. Class 4 is fine; or a Mobile Ultra if you do want faster transfer speeds. I have read that Samsung cards are also acceptable for this purpose, but I would not go with anything else. I tried Kingston and Transcend cards on the phone and Nook early on - Android operated horribly on both (though worse on the Kingston card).

monkeybiz 01-12-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mprayii (Post 56808622)

Yes, as advertised, just the tablet and Nook charger in a generic box. I could tell the charger had been used but not abused. Definitely worth $80 just as a reader/browser. Didn't have to wait long for the price to plunge.
I had someone put android on my Nook Color microSD, doubt that same dual boot (CM7?)would work on the Nook tablet.

Solari 01-12-2013 02:36 PM

I recently put CM10 on my Nook color. It runs better than CM7 ever did for me. It's not comparable to brand new tech, but definitely is nice with JB running

s1d1 01-14-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mprayii (Post 56808622)

Mine did not come with power cord. I was thinking that even though it was proprietary, surely there would be some Chinese clones available, but I was mistaken, and after weighing the trouble and time of used on ebay v.s. the extra $12, I just went to the local B&N for it.

That means the Fry's refurb for 99 was a better deal, but it's still pretty warm compared to the currently available options. More so if you get lucky with the power cord.

The condition of the tablet (5) is excellent.

Not impressed with the viewing angle on the screen, and I'm pretty sure I'm seeing PWM, but everyone says it has the best screen of all tablets of its generation, so :shrug:

mprayii 01-14-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s1d1 (Post 56852034)
Mine did not come with power cord. I was thinking that even though it was proprietary, surely there would be some Chinese clones available, but I was mistaken, and after weighing the trouble and time of used on ebay v.s. the extra $12, I just went to the local B&N for it.

That means the Fry's refurb for 99 was a better deal, but it's still pretty warm compared to the currently available options. More so if you get lucky with the power cord.

Not impressed with the viewing angle on the screen, and I'm pretty sure I'm seeing PWM, but everyone says it has the best screen of all tablets of its generation, so :shrug:

I got my "condition 5" today. Looks brand new. I was able to charge it with my blackberry bold 9700's charger. My wife was surprised and is very happy with it... I haven't actually even touched it yet.

trader14 01-16-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s1d1 (Post 56852034)

i got my grade 6 last night and it looks in brand new condition (as have every item i've purchased from cowboom). I didn't have a charger but any micro usb should work. I charged mine overnight with a samsung phone charger for my evo 3d and it worked fine. love this tablet, nice change of pace from the 10" ones i have

sah0724 01-16-2013 09:51 AM

I really need a tablet for reading and movies, I should have picked it up.

Does Jellybean handle file converstion? Like can I drap a mpeg4 movie to the tablet and can it play it?

I heard older versions of android can't do this.

mprayii 01-16-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sah0724 (Post 56889082)
I really need a tablet for reading and movies, I should have picked it up.

Does Jellybean handle file converstion? Like can I drap a mpeg4 movie to the tablet and can it play it?

I heard older versions of android can't do this.

dont feel bad if you missed it.

http://tabletmonkeys.com/new-tablets/

there are some really great things coming, and they are cheap!