Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Site Questions, Issues or Suggestions (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Resolved: [Resolved] Filter threads to ignore list - gun threads (http://slickdeals.net/f/5795872-resolved-resolved-filter-threads-to-ignore-list-gun-threads)

snowcrash 01-12-2013 03:42 PM

Resolved: [Resolved] Filter threads to ignore list - gun threads

Is it possible to set up a filter with a keyword and automatically send it to my ignore thread list?

For example, the gun threads in hotdeals forum are really pissing me off. I would like to set up a keyword "gun" in thread titles so when I click hotdeals forum all the thread title with the word "gun" will not show up and instead sent to my ignore thread.

calistyle 01-12-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowcrash (Post 56810486)
Is it possible to set up a filter with a keyword and automatically send it to my ignore thread list?

For example, the gun threads in hotdeals forum are really pissing me off. I would like to set up a keyword "gun" in thread titles so when I click hotdeals forum all the thread title with the word "gun" will not show up and instead sent to my ignore thread.

Here's how you can avoid deals you don't want to see...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schooby (Post 51870224)
^^ This.

You can go to the front page and on the right hand side just above the front page deals you will see a box labeled "Preferences" Click on that, go to the left hand column and scroll down to "Sports & Outdoors" In there you'll see Guns & Ammo. You can slide the bar to dislike and you shouldn't have to see anymore deals for those items.

Quote:

Originally Posted by widgit (Post 51885094)
You can also filter them out of the Hot Deals forum if you wish. On the top left of the forum, click on the Filtering Options tab. Then click Edit on the By Category area. A box will pop with with all the categories and subcategories. Either type Guns in the text box or scroll down to Sports & Outdoors and either click the little + sign next to that category, and it'll expand to show all the subcategories. Click on the Guns & Ammo subcategory and you'll get a pop up where you can either include or exclude that subcategory. Click Exclude, then Apply. This will filter out any thread that has been tagged with the Guns & Ammo subcategory tag.

You also have the option to set the above filter as your default filter, at the bottom of the filtering options. Or if you don't want that as your default, you can choose to Save the filter you just set and then can just choose that saved filter whenever you wish.

snowcrash 01-12-2013 11:46 PM

TYVM, calistyle.

snowcrash 01-28-2013 04:08 PM

The filter only seems to be working half the time. I'm assuming it's on the server's end? Probably just from the sheer number of filters in use right? I have the same issue whether it's PC or tablet.

cgrady 01-28-2013 05:01 PM

No, filters don't just randomly disable. If you're seeing threads make it through, check to be sure they're tagged with your exclusion, and that your filters are actually active, then mention them here in SIS :)

snowcrash 01-28-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgrady (Post 57198484)
No, filters don't just randomly disable. If you're seeing threads make it through, check to be sure they're tagged with your exclusion, and that your filters are actually active, then mention them here in SIS :)

I have the filter setup and set it as default. In the Hotdeals Forum the filter is showing up pink. It sometimes works and sometimes don't. When it doesn't work, if I refresh the page a few times, all the gun threads with the relevant tags would disappear.

This is on the specific gun threads with the proper tags.
Sport&Travel, Gun&Ammo.

cgrady 01-28-2013 06:48 PM

Hmm, odd. I'll look into it - that shouldn't be happening :)

destroyrobots 02-07-2013 05:26 AM

I would like to see slickdeals take a bold and progressive stance and ban gun deals from the site. I'm not anti gun, but every other deal is for assault rifles and accessories. Top rated deals on ar-15s pervaded the site not even 24 hours after Sandy Hook. If we want to reduce future gun violence we need to start by thinking differently about guns.

kasty 02-09-2013 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by destroyrobots (Post 57424540)
I would like to see slickdeals take a bold and progressive stance and ban gun deals from the site. I'm not anti gun, but every other deal is for assault rifles and accessories. Top rated deals on ar-15s pervaded the site not even 24 hours after Sandy Hook. If we want to reduce future gun violence we need to start by thinking differently about guns.

This has already been brought up and answered. The best thing is to set them to ignore.

destroyrobots 02-09-2013 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kasty (Post 57468394)
This has already been brought up and answered. The best thing is to set them to ignore.

If by "answered" you mean shouted down by pro gun crowd, then you're right. I am starting a letter campaign to slickdeals corporate urging they consider banning gun deals outright or sending them to their own sub forum.

I strongly suggest others who want to see changes do the same.

medicchick 02-09-2013 10:20 PM

Considering that Slickdeals "corporate" is on this (privately owned) site, I don't think it will have much impact. If you want to discuss your gun views I suggest the Podium, I think that is a better forum for your views to be aired than the help section.

snowcrash 02-10-2013 12:04 AM

I just want the filtering option to work 100% of the time. That is all I am hoping for. I know from reading couple threads here and there that gun threads are here to stay. No matter how much some of us disagree, it's not going to change anyone's mind.

destroyrobots 02-10-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by medicchick (Post 57482420)
Considering that Slickdeals "corporate" is on this (privately owned) site, I don't think it will have much impact. If you want to discuss your gun views I suggest the Podium, I think that is a better forum for your views to be aired than the help section.

Slickdeals being smaller and private is all the better. I'm not really interested in discussing my gun views on the internet with strangers, so the podium doesn't sound like what I'm after.

However, I AM interested in perpetuating a shift on our nation's culture of gun violence. For those who would like to see fewer gun deals (or none at all) on Slickdeals.net, I suggest writing to:

Bryant Quan, CEO
Slickdeals Inc.
10300 W. Charleston Blvd
Ste. #13-131, Las Vegas, NV 89135

medicchick 02-10-2013 01:02 PM

Or send him a PM. As I said, those in charge are ON here. I believe he's even posted some gun deals himself. Your "issue" has been posed and addressed many times already though.

snowcrash 02-10-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by destroyrobots (Post 57489608)
Slickdeals being smaller and private is all the better. I'm not really interested in discussing my gun views on the internet with strangers, so the podium doesn't sound like what I'm after.

However, I AM interested in perpetuating a shift on our nation's culture of gun violence. For those who would like to see fewer gun deals (or none at all) on Slickdeals.net, I suggest writing to:

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=56636596&postcount=12

That is BryantQ's post so it's going to take a lot to change his mind. I'm also uncomfortable at pressuring him to cater to some segment of SDers. It's as mentioned earlier, a private site that he owns. He should have the freedom to run SD as he see fit. I applaud you for your efforts and I'm on your side, but again, I would rather it not go so far. If the filtering option can be fixed and work as it should, then those of us who dislike gun threads can filter them out of existence.

destroyrobots 02-10-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by medicchick (Post 57482420)

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowcrash (Post 57493160)

That is BryantQ's post so it's going to take a lot to change his mind. I'm also uncomfortable at pressuring him to cater to some segment of SDers. It's as mentioned earlier, a private site that he owns. He should have the freedom to run SD as he see fit. I applaud you for your efforts and I'm on your side, but again, I would rather it not go so far. If the filtering option can be fixed and work as it should, then those of us who dislike gun threads can filter them out of existence.

I'm disappointed to see that post, however I am not deterred. I think the filter option puts the onus on people who don't like gun deals, and I don't think that should be the case. It should be opt-in, not opt-out. Create a sub-forum as other deal sites have done.

calistyle 02-10-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowcrash (Post 57493160)

bryantq = CEO
slickdeals = owner

snowcrash 02-10-2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calistyle (Post 57493792)
bryantq = CEO
slickdeals = owner

My apologies. I was going by what was posted in this thread and made a wrong assumption.

calistyle 02-10-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowcrash (Post 57494530)
My apologies. I was going by what was posted in this thread and made a wrong assumption.

It's okay; I was just clarifying. :)

cgrady 02-10-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by destroyrobots (Post 57493782)
I'm disappointed to see that post, however I am not deterred. I think the filter option puts the onus on people who don't like gun deals, and I don't think that should be the case. It should be opt-in, not opt-out. Create a sub-forum as other deal sites have done.

Why should the majority have to opt-in, as opposed to the minority having to opt-out? :)

destroyrobots 02-10-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgrady (Post 57496110)
Why should the majority have to opt-in, as opposed to the minority having to opt-out? :)

Assuming that slickdeals is a microcosm of the United States, the majority of users/households are not gun owners and outnumber the minority by approximately 20%. And that's not even talking about individual gun owners: 80 million out of 600 million American citizens. What majority are you referring to again?

cgrady 02-10-2013 08:08 PM

Not owning a gun doesn't make someone opposed to them.

hootenanny22 03-05-2013 05:40 AM

I find it very hard to believe that there are this many people into gun deals. This has to be a small group of 10-20 people who upvote every gun deal to get it on the front page. The other day there were 4 count them FOUR gun & ammo deals on the front page of Popular Deals. On Fatwallet and DealNews I never see a single gun deal. I'm pretty close to leaving SlickDeals because of this, not only because I find it offensive, but also because it's deals I have no interest in.

Example from some gun nut: "I vote for more slick deals on guns and ammo to safe guard our families and society."

They aren't voting on the DEALS. They are voting for the category. I'm here for deals, not for ideology.

Also, the instructions to filter out these "deals" don't work on the Popular Deals page, which is the only page I care about.

Majide 03-07-2013 11:57 AM

I don't understand what's so offensive about a Deals website displaying deals for guns... If it isn't a deal, by all means downvote it. There's a small little button for every thread that will add said thread to your ignore list. Then the filter options mentioned.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgrady (Post 57496110)

:iagree: with this
Quote:

Originally Posted by cgrady (Post 57496962)
Not owning a gun doesn't make someone opposed to them.

...and this.

I don't have one, but I'm not opposed to buying one. Not opposed to other people buying them either. I don't like seeing deals for all sorts of crap in Hot Deals, but I either ignore it with the button, or ignore it as I skim through the page. No big deal...

snowcrash 03-29-2013 10:35 PM

Just wondering if there are any updates in regards to filter not working sometimes? Gun threads are starting to appear again and the filter are letting them thru. This one, for example. It has both Sports & Outdoors, Guns&Ammo tags which are the filters I set. Same results whether using a different browser (Chrome) or iPad's Safari.

cgrady 03-29-2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowcrash (Post 58555964)
Just wondering if there are any updates in regards to filter not working sometimes? Gun threads are starting to appear again and the filter are letting them thru. This one, for example. It has both Sports & Outdoors, Guns&Ammo tags which are the filters I set. Same results whether using a different browser (Chrome) or iPad's Safari.

I was unaware this was still an issue; it hasn't been reported in quite some time after I fixed it last time.

I'll make a note to look into it again.

bluejen 03-30-2013 12:42 PM

Another voice for filtering out the gun deals. It really is over the top in light of what's been going on lately. Well, for a long time, but the attention is on it now. I've set my filters, so will see if it works and if not, I'll come back here and post.

SP33DFR34K 04-01-2013 01:03 PM

Let's keep this topic on the focus on filtering certain deals out. You're free to debate guns in our Podium forum.

cgrady 04-01-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowcrash (Post 58555964)

Can you let me know if you still have this issue from here on? I've made some updates to the filtering.

snowcrash 04-01-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgrady (Post 58600906)
Can you let me know if you still have this issue from here on? I've made some updates to the filtering.

Filter appears to be working properly in the 3 browsers I tried. Tyvm for taking the time to fix it, cgrady.

cgrady 04-01-2013 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowcrash (Post 58602600)
Filter appears to be working properly in the 3 browsers I tried. Tyvm for taking the time to fix it, cgrady.

Great; let me know if anything acts up again in the future :)