Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Hot Deals (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Bose Acoustimass 6 + Pioneer VSX-822K bundle - $800 - Costco B&M (http://slickdeals.net/f/5814634-bose-acoustimass-6-pioneer-vsx-822k-bundle-800-costco-b-m)

reachthiru 01-22-2013 09:44 PM

Bose Acoustimass 6 + Pioneer VSX-822K bundle - $800 - Costco B&M
 
Went to the Costco Sunnyvale, CA store today and saw this deal

Bose Acoustimass 6 Home Theater System Pioneer bundle
- Pioneer VSX-822K 5.1
- Channel Receiver
- Speaker package
- 5 speakers, 1 subwoofer
- Airplay certified
- Includes cable for iPad, iPhone, iPod connection
- Includes HDMI cable

Price is $799.99. Searched their site but couldn't find.

coach_x+ 01-27-2013 12:38 PM

I'm confused, thumbs down with no replies.
Just the Bose Acoustimass 6 every other location is $699 yet you get a receiver w/ this.
I was considering these speakers, any insight or better 5.1 speakers would be appreciated.

smokarz 01-27-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coach_x+ (Post 57168110)
I'm confused, thumbs down with no replies.
Just the Bose Acoustimass 6 every other location is $699 yet you get a receiver w/ this.
I was considering these speakers, any insight or better 5.1 speakers would be appreciated.


Here are some suggestions. They beat the crap out of those Bose any day.

FYI, no lows, no highs, it must be Bose. When you hear the name Bose, put your money back in your wallet and run.


http://slickdeals.net/f/5819942-Energy-Veritas-Mini-5-0-Reference-Home-Theater-Speaker-Package-Black-or-Rosenut-400-Free-Shipping-Ebay-Daily-Deal


http://slickdeals.net/f/5817954-Pioneer-Home-Theater-Speakers-great-prices-TigerDirect-SP-BS22-LR-90-pair-SP-C22-Center-70-SW-8MK2-90-SP-FS52-100

http://slickdeals.net/f/5812364-Klipsch-KB-15-bookshelf-speakers-99-at-best-buy

Aballer99 01-27-2013 12:59 PM

Please leave this thread

smokarz 01-27-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aballer99 (Post 57168486)
Please leave this thread


What do we have here, a Bose fan boy?

guyhandsome 02-22-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokarz (Post 57168536)
What do we have here, a Bose fan boy?

No high, no lows, must be Bose ... because you know way better than 300 sound engineers who have dedicated their lives to sound with a company founded by an MIT professor.

I fail to understand why that company gets killed on this site other than price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokarz (Post 57168536)
What do we have here, a Bose fan boy?

No high, no lows, must be Bose ... because you know way better than 300 sound engineers who have dedicated their lives to audio with a company founded by an MIT professor.

I fail to understand why that company gets killed on this site other than price.

fyu 02-22-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guyhandsome (Post 57762778)
No high, no lows, must be Bose ... because you know way better than 300 sound engineers who have dedicated their lives to sound with a company founded by an MIT professor.

I fail to understand why that company gets killed on this site other than price.

rofl. yea. dedicated their lives.... to marketing.

wlhungdude 02-22-2013 02:01 PM

They get killed here because they are overpriced for what they offer. IF the prices were about 75% less, that'd be more reasonable. They appeal to the uninformed masses. And they sue anyone who gives an honest review of their product.
How do you think they can afford full page ads in every magazine you pick up? they sell overpriced, underperforming products. Do your research, instead of drinking the BlOSE kool-aid.

yurmaster 02-22-2013 02:25 PM

They get killed on any forum where people take their music/AV experience even moderately serious because its junk science combined with poor quality components at bloated prices.

ShishirR 02-23-2013 06:09 PM

I see the price for this on Amazon is 1299 and in Costco I can get it for 799, is it worth buying? I have Samsung 3D TV and am looking for a good home theater system. Other options are Samsung systems but I am keen on buying Bose. Suggestion please

DonRSD 02-23-2013 06:18 PM

B uy
O ther
S ound
E quipment

guyhandsome 02-27-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wlhungdude (Post 57764338)
They get killed here because they are overpriced for what they offer. IF the prices were about 75% less, that'd be more reasonable. They appeal to the uninformed masses. And they sue anyone who gives an honest review of their product.
How do you think they can afford full page ads in every magazine you pick up? they sell overpriced, underperforming products. Do your research, instead of drinking the BlOSE kool-aid.


They don't underperform. They perform perfectly for what they should do. The only problem is the price and lack of sales/discounts.

And, every goddamn company has full page ads. That doesn't make them a marketing juggernaut. I've seen two commercials for Bose in my life. One at 1 AM about their radio, and then recently a commercial during NFL games. That's it.

People who don't like them seem uniformly against them with the exact same bullshit answers. "They're expensive ,...AND they suck!" No they don't. They sound fine. No one has a level-headed opinion about them. It's really weird.

guyhandsome 02-27-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yurmaster (Post 57764970)
They get killed on any forum where people take their music/AV experience even moderately serious because its junk science combined with poor quality components at bloated prices.

Again -- a weird, demonizing answer. "Everything they've ever made is shit, and it's too expensive, and they lie." It was literally founded by a group of people from MIT, so I don't know how much junk science really slips in there. It seems like they try to make sound equipment for the general population, not super-obnoxious audiophiles. And they're doing a good job with doing exactly what they set out to do.

I mean, don't get me wrong, this is pretty expensive. But the Bose-bashing gets to me.

wlhungdude 02-27-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guyhandsome (Post 57868612)
They don't underperform. They perform perfectly for what they should do. The only problem is the price and lack of sales/discounts.

And, every goddamn company has full page ads. That doesn't make them a marketing juggernaut. I've seen two commercials for Bose in my life. One at 1 AM about their radio, and then recently a commercial during NFL games. That's it.

People who don't like them seem uniformly against them with the exact same bullshit answers. "They're expensive ,...AND they suck!" No they don't. They sound fine. No one has a level-headed opinion about them. It's really weird.

Now that's funny. I guess they sound fine if you've never heard better. Why don't they publish frequency response charts? Why don't they have any THX certified speakers? Why do they not allow their 'certified vendors' to place them in the same area as other speakers? And how many times do you listen to them in your home with the rear speakers suspended on curved holders 1 foot behind your head? If you've ever compared them to any of the ID speakers companies, you'd eat your own words.

yes, they do suck, and they're expensive. you've been drinking their Kool-Aid, or you are trying to justify your own foolish purchase. Ever hear of cognitive dissonance? Do a little research.

guyhandsome 02-28-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wlhungdude (Post 57875746)
Now that's funny. I guess they sound fine if you've never heard better. Why don't they publish frequency response charts? Why don't they have any THX certified speakers? Why do they not allow their 'certified vendors' to place them in the same area as other speakers? And how many times do you listen to them in your home with the rear speakers suspended on curved holders 1 foot behind your head? If you've ever compared them to any of the ID speakers companies, you'd eat your own words.

yes, they do suck, and they're expensive. you've been drinking their Kool-Aid, or you are trying to justify your own foolish purchase. Ever hear of cognitive dissonance? Do a little research.


I don't own a system. I'm arguing because I just keep seeing really weak logic from other people. ("They don't print frequency numbers, so the only possible reason they do that is because they suck.") If you can display your product in a separate area than the others, then you do it. That's pretty simple to figure out. And why would you want the speakers one foot behind your head? But I was wondering about the story behind frequency response thing, so I looked up why they wouldn't display them.

It turns out that frequency response numbers are actually very significant to the company. The guy who started Bose -- Amar Bose, again, an MIT professor -- bought some speakers based on frequency response back in the 60's. Based on the numbers, the speakers should have been really good, but they weren't. He started his own company and was dead-set against using frequency response numbers as a selling point, because when people see those numbers, they base too much information solely on the numbers rather than listening for themselves. Frequency response numbers might be the reason he even started the company!

So, with that, I guess the real question is: is it ironic when someone with this head up his ass tells other people to practice cognitive dissonance? Or it is just annoying?

smokarz 02-28-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guyhandsome (Post 57893336)
I don't own a system. I'm arguing because I just keep seeing really weak logic from other people. ("They don't print frequency numbers, so the only possible reason they do that is because they suck.") If you can display your product in a separate area than the others, then you do it. That's pretty simple to figure out. And why would you want the speakers one foot behind your head? But I was wondering about the story behind frequency response thing, so I looked up why they wouldn't display them.

It turns out that frequency response numbers are actually very significant to the company. The guy who started Bose -- Amar Bose, again, an MIT professor -- bought some speakers based on frequency response back in the 60's. Based on the numbers, the speakers should have been really good, but they weren't. He started his own company and was dead-set against using frequency response numbers as a selling point, because when people see those numbers, they base too much information solely on the numbers rather than listening for themselves. Frequency response numbers might be the reason he even started the company!

So, with that, I guess the real question is: is it ironic when someone with this head up his ass tells other people to practice cognitive dissonance? Or it is just annoying?




You must be working for BOSE don't you?

EVERY speaker manufacturer that's worth their peanuts provide specs for their speakers such as sensitivity, impedance, SPL, and yes frequency response.

The same reason why EVERY car provide specs such as horsepower, mpg, etc. Oh, sorry you bought the car because you like its bright green neon color, even though it didn't come with 4 sets of wheels.

Bose don't provide any FR because it plain SUCKS.

Nothing useable exist on their speakers under 200hz, and their highs fall off the cliff way before 8khz. There are peaks and valleys all over when you attempt to measure FR on their speakers. That's why there's the saying..."no lows, no highs, it must be.....blah"

wlhungdude 03-01-2013 02:04 AM

LOL
"hey buddy, you should go buy something overpriced, then justify your purchase by ignoring science and facts"
yeah, that's what I'm doing. That statement
"...tells other people to practice cognitive dissonance" shows you don't even know what you're talking about.

look at science and facts BEFORE you make the purchase. Especially one with that high of a price tag. You'll find much better options than Bose.

guyhandsome 03-01-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokarz (Post 57894010)
You must be working for BOSE don't you?

EVERY speaker manufacturer that's worth their peanuts provide specs for their speakers such as sensitivity, impedance, SPL, and yes frequency response.

The same reason why EVERY car provide specs such as horsepower, mpg, etc. Oh, sorry you bought the car because you like its bright green neon color, even though it didn't come with 4 sets of wheels.

Bose don't provide any FR because it plain SUCKS.

Nothing useable exist on their speakers under 200hz, and their highs fall off the cliff way before 8khz. There are peaks and valleys all over when you attempt to measure FR on their speakers. That's why there's the saying..."no lows, no highs, it must be.....blah"


Oh, Jesus -- if I was getting paid for this I certainly wouldn't be arguing with a 12-year-old over this shit. I just keep seeing self-righteous/aggressive opinions and I disagree with the mentality. If people were like, "Yeah, they sound fine, which I don't need to have numbers tell me because I have ears and I'm an adult, but they're too expensive," then I wouldn't have a problem with it. But for some weird reason people are bananas about hating the company and it's weird. If you can buy/build a better system so be it.

But people always, always mention the frequency response and the marketing. If the speaker couldn't sound over 8khz, you'd hear it. Easily. The ear can pick up 20,000 khz. I've never heard a Bose speaker and said, "Wow, that was all distorted" or "it couldn't make the sound on that part." And the marketing isn't that impressive. It's probably different because it has super-plain language, doesn't exaggerate -- but they have one frigging commercial. Sorry, two.

I'm not some Bose super-fan; the company's fine. If I wanted a sound system they're probably too expensive and I'd just slickdeal it. But I just don't like holier-than-thou attitudes from people when someone asks about the company. Have some humility that you don't know the whole story.

guyhandsome 03-01-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wlhungdude (Post 57905282)
LOL
"hey buddy, you should go buy something overpriced, then justify your purchase by ignoring science and facts"
yeah, that's what I'm doing. That statement
"...tells other people to practice cognitive dissonance" shows you don't even know what you're talking about.

look at science and facts BEFORE you make the purchase. Especially one with that high of a price tag. You'll find much better options than Bose.


I didn't say they were the best. The products don't suck -- they're good -- but I'm sure there are better, cheaper options. People are dicks about the company, almost universally, and it's unwarranted. This mass uniformity of opinion that "Bose is evil and that's the end of the story" is shady. They're just building shit for the mass population -- they sounds good, and it's easy to put together. End of story. If you're an audiophile, buy something else. They're not building it for you.

wlhungdude 03-01-2013 12:00 PM

at least we agree that they're building shit.

Buckeyefan 1 03-01-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guyhandsome (Post 57868612)
And, every goddamn company has full page ads. That doesn't make them a marketing juggernaut. I've seen two commercials for Bose in my life. One at 1 AM about their radio, and then recently a commercial during NFL games. That's it.

They are in every AARP publication. They market to the older generation - those whose hearing has left the building. They've sued Consumer Reports for negative reviews, as well as countless other magazines. They use oversized tweeters to reproduce a frequency range of a crow, and a bass module that extends to 1000Hz. Any other questions why audiophiles, as well as the general informed public avoid Bose? There's plenty of idiot engineers with phD's whose main goal is to rip off the public via scamvertising. It's in the Koolaide. If you haven't drank from the eternal well, quit defending them. They pray on your folk's hard earned retirement funds.

Now, please tell me why people rip Bose apart?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Bose%...&cp=1&lp=3

The Bose 901's were supposedly high end speakers back in the 80's. They called them direct reflecting. They had a dozen similar sized drivers - most of which were facing backwards. You had to place them against a wall, just right, to get proper imaging. And to get a somewhat flat frequency response, you had to use their parametric equalizer. That was the trick. The same trick they use in all their cube systems. They charge you thousands to preset an internal equalizer with a house curve, and people are amazed at the sound that comes from a large tweeter and base module. Anyone who knew anything about sound had 10 band eq's with their systems back in the day. For $100 to $150, you could tailor the sound to overcome room abnormalities. You don't see them today because of the lack of a monitor out jack, as well as only being able to process analog signals. Some of the better AVR's have built in equalizers, but they are nothing like what you had back in the day.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:18 PM.