Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Deal Talk (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition (PC Digital Download) $17.49 or less (http://slickdeals.net/f/5820154-dark-souls-prepare-to-die-edition-pc-digital-download-17-49-or-less)

DJ3xclusive 01-25-2013 09:56 AM

Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition (PC Digital Download) $17.49 or less

1 Attachment(s)
*STARTS 01/31/13*

Lowest price yet

Link [amazon.com]

credit to dvg

brisar 01-25-2013 09:56 AM

Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition (PC Digital Download) $17.49 or less

2 Attachment(s)
Amazon has Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition (PC Digital Download) for $17.49. Thanks DJ3xclusive

Please note, for those who still have Editor's Choice coupons linked to their account can purchase this item for $12.49 after discount applied during final checkout

wikipost 01-25-2013 09:56 AM

This post can and should be edited by users like you :)

How to Use A PS3 Controller On Your PC Using Motioninjoy (By Someone Who Plays Dark Souls a Lot)
[youtube.com]

Also make sure to use the latest version of DSFix at darksouls.nexusmods.com
Generally considered a must-have because it unlocks FPS (otherwise capped at 30) and improves resolution. The game will look startlingly washed-out and muddy otherwise (although combat still top notch).

DSFix Author's Website (to reiterate, this is a MUST-HAVE. Without this, internal resolution is capped at 1024x720):
http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/

Gwyn 01-25-2013 10:00 AM

This game is pretty good, and well worth it at either price. Definitely pick it up if you're at all interested, though also know it is a port designed to be played with a gamepad. All the button prompts are controller buttons, and menus can only be comfortably navigated with a gamepad. You can play it without, but it's going to make a tough game needlessly tougher.

DJ3xclusive 01-25-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwyn (Post 57122350)
This game is pretty good, and well worth it at either price. Definitely pick it up if you're at all interested, though also know it is a port designed to be played with a gamepad. All the button prompts are controller buttons, and menus can only be comfortably navigated with a gamepad. You can play it without, but it's going to make a tough game needlessly tougher.

thanks for the feedback :D

evila 01-25-2013 12:29 PM

great, now do the same on console versions

Teldin 01-25-2013 03:13 PM

tu for Dark Souls

agentghost 01-25-2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evila (Post 57126788)
great, now do the same on console versions

No :lmao:

marcos6 01-25-2013 04:35 PM

I heard that there was a high-resolution mod for this. Is it easy to install? I assume this game would be installed under Steam.

Gwyn 01-25-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcos6 (Post 57133008)
I heard that there was a high-resolution mod for this. Is it easy to install? I assume this game would be installed under Steam.

Pretty simple. You download the file, put it in the install directory, and then change the .ini file to the various settings you want (1-4 for AA level, type of anti-aliasing, etc.). The game still isn't super pretty, but it fixes the framerate problem and makes it look nicer.

It installs through Steam but requires both Steam and GFWL.

Kardon86 01-25-2013 05:09 PM

I should have bough more $0.32 dlc for coupons. O well.

evila 01-25-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agentghost (Post 57133000)
No :lmao:

:wave::wave:

agentghost 01-25-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evila (Post 57133954)
:wave::wave:

You do realize that I was just messing around with you right? :D Ya, it'll be nice if console price drop that low

Drzombie 01-25-2013 06:33 PM

Praise the sun! :worship:

TU for Dark Souls deal!

redshirt72 01-25-2013 07:25 PM

I'm on my second PS3 playthrough of it, and really wanted the DLC...I want to pull the trigger on this deal, but I'd really, really hate to have to reacquire all my rings, unique weapons, ores etc.

alchi 01-25-2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redshirt72 (Post 57136206)
I'm on my second PS3 playthrough of it, and really wanted the DLC...I want to pull the trigger on this deal, but I'd really, really hate to have to reacquire all my rings, unique weapons, ores etc.

Start a new playthrough on PC as a build you've never tried before. Go dual shields or whip only if you're feeling brave.

Halewafa 01-25-2013 08:18 PM

Just watched a video review on it, looks pretty good. Have an editors choice discount, was thinking it was going to go to waste since I haven't seen anything else that great come up... Thanks OP

Pedantyc 01-25-2013 08:52 PM

I grabbed this day 1 at full price. Never regretted it.

CephalicCarnage 01-26-2013 12:09 AM

Certainly not for the faint of heart, but I agree that this is one of the best RPGs ever made. I've already played through it multiple times on PS3 but I'm definitely picking it up to play it again on PC.

Castaa 01-26-2013 03:33 AM

Two things. I just finished Dark Souls this past week.

First, playing with a Xbox 360 type controller is a must with Dark Souls. Second, this game is very difficult and takes hours to master even basic combat. And you will be required to redo sections over and over until you are able to finish them before dying. Even though Dark Souls is considered to be an RPG, it's a reaction based sword fighting game first and foremost.

But once you get down the basics the game is pretty rewarding.

One final tip: Spend your Humanity on reversing your hollowing and then kindle bonfires to gain additional health renewal via your health flask. Once you get into the game, those terms will become clear.

slackingoff7 01-26-2013 05:41 PM

On the contrary to most people, I found the experience enjoyable with a mouse and keyboard. I had to change the mouse sensitivity down and set my macro key that was closest to the left "CRTL" button to "o" (lock-on). This should make your experience with computer accessories much more enjoyable.

http://darksouls.nexusmods.com/
For all your modding needs. I applied the high resolution patch and that fixed most of my gripes with the visuals. Look at the settings carefully!

ROKET 01-26-2013 06:06 PM

Does anyone have an extra coupon they could spare for me? Id love to get the game for $12.49. Been looking for a new grizzly RPG after playing the Witcher 2.

evila 01-28-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agentghost (Post 57134230)
You do realize that I was just messing around with you right? :D Ya, it'll be nice if console price drop that low

Of course I knew, and I was also messing around with you too. :D:D:D:D

Miwo 01-28-2013 12:39 PM

Isn't the PC community rampant with cheaters using stuff like infinite health, etc?

chicken_soup_2 01-28-2013 12:47 PM

I've only run into 1 person cheating in over 20 encounters on PC. That said, GFWL makes invading/summoning/etc fail much more frequently than on the console versions

kalrith 01-29-2013 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROKET (Post 57154486)
Does anyone have an extra coupon they could spare for me? Id love to get the game for $12.49. Been looking for a new grizzly RPG after playing the Witcher 2.

And if someone still has a coupon after ROKET gets his, then I'd love one as well :)

ROKET 01-29-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalrith (Post 57211200)
And if someone still has a coupon after ROKET gets his, then I'd love one as well :)

Haha. Thanks. :D

Herse 01-29-2013 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalrith (Post 57211200)

Just so you know. There are no coupons or coupon codes. The discount is account bound and automatically appears in your cart. So, I don't think there is a way to send someone the discount.

kalrith 01-29-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herse (Post 57212556)
Just so you know. There are no coupons or coupon codes. The discount is account bound and automatically appears in your cart. So, I don't think there is a way to send someone the discount.

Thank you. That's very helpful (yet disappointing :()

Audrin 01-29-2013 03:41 PM

Anyone know how to tell if you still have any EC coupons left?

metalhawk 01-30-2013 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audrin (Post 57223868)

I'm curious about this too. I'm sure I do, because I know I got one, and haven't used it. But I don't think I got *more* than one, yet, when I look at my amazon credit it says I have ~$25. I don't know what's up with that or where it came from (not complaining). I'm just curious of the EC shows up there, or if that's something completely different...

AllWhacked 01-30-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audrin (Post 57223868)

Just click "buy and download" on one of the eligible games/bundles and before you complete your purchase, you should see the discount applied. No discount, then no credit.

metalhawk 01-31-2013 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllWhacked (Post 57253312)
Just click "buy and download" on one of the eligible games/bundles and before you complete your purchase, you should see the discount applied. No discount, then no credit.

Yep. And apparently the ~$25 "credit" I have is 5 coupons (though I'm not sure how). After getting Dark Souls for $12.49, I went back to the credit balance checking page (Link [amazon.com]), and now my software download "balance" is $5 less.

Junkboy0 01-31-2013 04:37 AM

Just bought my copy, also shouldn't this be on FP? /bump

TheGeneralCS 01-31-2013 05:19 AM

great game cant stress enough, I havent seen many cheaters on PC if any, but the lag does suck

jnthornh 01-31-2013 05:43 AM

Most people probably already jumped on the Green Man Gaming deal from a few days ago, but I'm glad I waited this one out since I have the EC coupon. Thanks OP!

jrodslick 01-31-2013 06:09 AM

I have an Xbox controller for PC, but I doubt my laptop can play this.
AMD A4-3300M
6480G Radeon Mobility Video card
8GB RAM

I play Sleeping Dogs fairly well, but I'm thinking the poor PC Dark Souls port will leave me in frame rates less than 10 Fps.

Anyone play okay with a similar laptop? I'd love to get this game.

beundertaker 01-31-2013 08:34 AM

would get this...but damn I just got ni no kuni!

kalrith 01-31-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGeneralCS (Post 57260822)
great game cant stress enough, I havent seen many cheaters on PC if any, but the lag does suck

You lag comment concerns me. Can I play this game offline? I have satellite internet, which makes online gaming stink!

Halewafa 01-31-2013 08:41 AM

Thanks OP! Just got it with my EC coupon. Repped!

aznguyen316 01-31-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

The xbox 360 version was $12 maybe a month or two ago. It was what got me interested in looking into the game. I passed as I prefer playing games on the PC. I have a few coupons tied to my account (just checked $49.92 balance wtf?) so I thought about picking this up for $12.50, but again I may pass lol.

Frenchie14 01-31-2013 08:59 AM

Just chiming in: this game is amazing. Get it! But, you MUST be patient. There's a definite learning curve to this game. Try playing through the first time without ever looking at a guide and this will be a very rewarding experience. Once you've beaten it, feel free to look at all the guides and wiki's you want.

gatech311 01-31-2013 09:06 AM

Finished 2 playthrough a on ps3 and I'm my 3rd playthrough on PC. I just can't bring myself to play anything else!

macschwag14 01-31-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrodslick (Post 57261556)
I have an Xbox controller for PC, but I doubt my laptop can play this.
AMD A4-3300M
6480G Radeon Mobility Video card
8GB RAM

I play Sleeping Dogs fairly well, but I'm thinking the poor PC Dark Souls port will leave me in frame rates less than 10 Fps.

Anyone play okay with a similar laptop? I'd love to get this game.

Visit http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri and run the plugin. It will give you a good idea of if you can it and how well. Good luck!

terrorshahk 01-31-2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Dark souls on PS3 has been 16 dollars on numerous occasions.

shaosam 01-31-2013 09:15 AM

How do you guys have time to play all these games? Aren't your backlogs just massive? I still haven't even played Final Fantasy X on PS2...

derisch2 01-31-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macschwag14 (Post 57265632)
Visit http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri and run the plugin. It will give you a good idea of if you can it and how well. Good luck!

All that program does is check your system against the back of the box requirements

TheGeneralCS 01-31-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalrith (Post 57264786)
You lag comment concerns me. Can I play this game offline? I have satellite internet, which makes online gaming stink!

I would say dont worry, honestly the amount of people gaming on PC with this game is small. first of all you have to make a change in the game aka turn human in order to interact with any players online. So if you dont want to dont worry about it. Although I play the game looking for PVP I still would say about 70% of the time people fail to connect thats with ports forwarded and an open NAT with upnp enabled. Even if they do come in its not hard to beat people if your good at the combat system. Btw if you need any help check out my youtube channel Im doing a couple playthroughs on the game, and the one Im on now is thorough. youtube.com/thegenera1cs

darkonex 01-31-2013 09:26 AM

This effin game sux!

TheGeneralCS 01-31-2013 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkonex (Post 57266128)
This effin game sux!

sounds like you just suck at the game

SuzukiDan7 01-31-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGeneralCS (Post 57266172)
sounds like you just suck at the game

Hes a troll, the game is a lot of fun its just very time consuming and very difficult. People who can't pick up a game and master it in 30 minutes hate this game. But for the rest of us its tons of fun!

Multiplayer is one of the best parts of this game honestly. It can be played single player but the interaction with friendly players for coop, or enemy players for PvP (person vs person) adds a whole other dimension to the game. I have the ps3 version so I cannot comment on how laggy or buggy the online play is for the PC version, but if it is seriously flawed, I would say get a console version. But if its not that bad then go for this deal if you don't have a ps3.

TheGeneralCS 01-31-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuzukiDan7 (Post 57266460)
Hes a troll, the game is a lot of fun its just very time consuming and very difficult. People who can't pick up a game and master it in 30 minutes hate this game. But for the rest of us its tons of fun!

Multiplayer is one of the best parts of this game honestly. It can be played single player but the interaction with friendly players for coop, or enemy players for PvP (person vs person) adds a whole other dimension to the game. I have the ps3 version so I cannot comment on how laggy or buggy the online play is for the PC version, but if it is seriously flawed, I would say get a console version. But if its not that bad then go for this deal if you don't have a ps3.

console has plenty of its own problems, blighttown lag in particular, long load times, locked frame rate, plus pc version comes with free DLC. the lag is due to non dedicated servers.

BigGreenMat 01-31-2013 09:53 AM

So is this game kind of like Ninja Gaiden Black in level of difficulty? Or much much harder?

jrodslick 01-31-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macschwag14 (Post 57265632)

Thanks, gave it a spin. Said both my CPU and Video card don't make it. Then I tested for Sleeping Dogs ( which I run at 1280X720 and minimal video settings and works fairly well except with rain in car chases)
and it said CPU fail, but video card okay.

So, on my mediocre laptop (bought in 2012, sigh ) it probably won't run as well as Sleeping Dogs and would probably slow down to single digit FPS in major battles even at lowest settings.

Maybe I'll grab it next time around when I've got some hardware for it. I don't have an Xbox or Ps3 console, just the Wii for my kids. Not that I don't sneak in at night and play Monstor Hunter Tri & Goldeneye. :-). This current laptop is fairly okay on most 2011 major game releases, but Dark Souls is not one of them. Plenty enough games on my steam backlog, though, for now.

Halewafa 01-31-2013 10:05 AM

Looks like I have another EC code that I won't be using. Feel bad letting it go to waste, if anyone wants to send $12.50 through paypal I can send you the code for steam. It still also works for that windows arcade bundle and AoE III. So if anyone wants any of those let me know!

EDIT: Someone took me up on the offer, no longer available

dragonblade1214 01-31-2013 10:44 AM

So just to verify, does this validate on Steam?

Halewafa 01-31-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragonblade1214 (Post 57268364)
So just to verify, does this validate on Steam?

Yup, bought it a couple of hours ago, validated, and downloaded just fine

battywalker 01-31-2013 11:22 AM

just chiming in to say this is a great game, very atmospheric, moody, challenging, rewarding, etc.

multiplayer on pc does seem to suck (gfwl or lag or something makes only 1/5 multiplayer attempts work for me), but you definitely do not need a friend to beat the game, and the game provides you with your own computer buddies anyway (\o/ praise the sun)

fwiw, i also found it okay to play with just a mouse and keyboard, although i did also grow up playing descent 1 on a keyboard.... anyway, the scheme is WASD as movement, IJKL as camera control, O as "z-targeting" from ocarina of time (and yes, you can tap it to center the camera behind you), and UH as strong and weak attack.

also, the game is hard because it requires patience, not because it is cheap and there are gear-checks or some nonsense like that. you can youtube some videos of lvl 1 characters with no equipment beating late game bosses...

cantbecontained 01-31-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaosam (Post 57265838)
How do you guys have time to play all these games? Aren't your backlogs just massive? I still haven't even played Final Fantasy X on PS2...

You have no idea how massive my backlog is. I have games spanning from the PS3, 360, Wii U, and of course the PC that I haven't touched yet. At least half my console games haven't been open yet. I wish I didn't work so I can play all day

xplicitone 01-31-2013 11:38 AM

Getting older with more responsibilities and time is more valuable, stinks. I made a list of 4 games I want to try to beat in February already. Ni No Kuni, Walking Dead, Prince of Persia, and Borderlands 2. I wish I had time to try Dark Souls!

guyver2077 01-31-2013 11:44 AM

Is this GFWL compatible?

edit- according to amazon it is. So i am assuming achievements, etc?

and whats up with the locked resolution? Does it not take advantage of pc hardware?

DJ3xclusive 01-31-2013 02:12 PM

Anyone has spare EC coupon? Wanted to grab walking dead :D

Wildpir8 01-31-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ3xclusive (Post 57274544)
Anyone has spare EC coupon? Wanted to grab walking dead :D

I've got one you can grab it with. PM if you'd like.

Saboth 01-31-2013 02:28 PM

I picked this up around Christmas and I'm on my 3rd play through of it. I hardly ever play a game more than once, and never 3 times in a row. Get the High Res patch and a wired Xbox controller.

jayvo2008 01-31-2013 02:37 PM

Ugh, I've heard so much about Dark Souls that I had to buy it. Don't know a thing about it other than it being a sequel to Demon's Soul. So I'm hoping its as good as I'm thinking and I hope playing Demon's Souls isn't really a requirement storywise....:)

AllWhacked 01-31-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayvo2008 (Post 57275134)
Ugh, I've heard so much about Dark Souls that I had to buy it. Don't know a thing about it other than it being a sequel to Demon's Soul. So I'm hoping its as good as I'm thinking and I hope playing Demon's Souls isn't really a requirement storywise....:)

It's the spiritual successor to Demon's Souls (as it's made by the same developer), but it's an entirely different game story wise so no need to play the former to play the latter.

SuzukiDan7 01-31-2013 02:57 PM

There honestly isn't that much of a story, its kinda cryptic and weird but the worlds, enemies and bosses are very entertaining. Its a magical land of death and confusion that you try to conquer.

If you do encounter any invaders (dark spirits) aka other players who try to kill you, don't worry about it when they obliterate you in 1 hit or repeatedly backstab you from 10 feet away.. its just trolls learning tricks / glitches of the game just to get good at killing other players. It may piss you off but best thing you can do is try to summon friendly players to protect you, hide behind them and hope they win. It will take at least 100-200 hours of play time before you will be able to compete with the experienced "dark spirit".

jayvo2008 01-31-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllWhacked (Post 57275304)
It's the spiritual successor to Demon's Souls (as it's made by the same developer), but it's an entirely different game story wise so no need to play the former to play the latter.

Awesome! I was worried about that more than anything. I hate starting games in the middle of a story. I'd rather start at the beginning, but ever since I built this gaming PC, my PS3 has been collection dust and I really don't want to go back and play Demon's Soul on the PS3 :nod:

srfrog 01-31-2013 05:24 PM

I used my coupon earlier in the month when it was on sale and just finished playing through my first time. Put in around 65 hours going to every area and killing every boss. It was a lot of fun but I got smoked almost everytime I was invaded. If you like Demon's Souls I don't see why you wouldn't like this one. I have a ton of games in the backlog but if I didn't, I would have no problem playing this again and maybe trying to better in the PvP.

raymacfla 01-31-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedantyc (Post 57137626)
I grabbed this day 1 at full price. Never regretted it.

Full Price Freddy, :lmao:

losingnewbie 02-01-2013 06:07 AM

I was about to buy this, but it looks like it went up to $40 now. Sadface :(.

BKA 02-01-2013 06:28 AM

I picked it up last night and played for a while. You guys weren't lying about the difficulty. But after strategizing I got through the first boss after dying 10 times first. Lol