Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Podium (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Are Plastic Bag Bans Making us Sick? (http://slickdeals.net/f/5821274-are-plastic-bag-bans-making-us-sick)

homers 01-25-2013 08:38 PM

Are Plastic Bag Bans Making us Sick?

Using the logic, "If we can save only one life, it is worth it (to repeal the plastic bag bans)"

http://reason.com/blog/2013/01/24...ng-us-sick

A new study finds that plastic bag bans may be causing an uptick in emergency room visits and even deaths from common foodborne bacteria like coliform and E.coli.

To quote the study:

"We find that the San Francisco County ban is associated with a 46 percent increase in deaths from foodborne illnesses. This implies an increase of 5.5 annual deaths for the county."

"Basically people were schlepping leaky packages of meat and other foods in their canvas bags, then wadding to the bags somewhere for awhile, leaving bacteria to grow until the next trip, when they tossed celery or other foods likely to be eaten raw in the same bags."

BigBananaMess 01-25-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homers (Post 57137442)

"Basically people were schlepping leaky packages of meat and other foods in their canvas bags, then wadding to the bags somewhere for awhile, leaving bacteria to grow until the next trip, when they tossed celery or other foods likely to be eaten raw in the same bags."

LOL @ hippies schlepping their canvas bags for a $0.01 discount and getting e. coli as a result.

TheWoman 01-25-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Wow, I guess people are stupid. I use reusable bags off and on, but I never, ever let them put raw meat in a reusable bag. If, for any reason, the bag seems dirty, I wash it. Seems like common sense.

124nic8 01-25-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Using the logic, "If we can save only one life, it is worth it (to repeal the plastic bag bans)"

Because repealing the ban is the only solution? :nono:

How about sealing the meat packages so they don't leak?

Dumpsterdiver 01-25-2013 10:42 PM

Those morons got rid of bags at the meat counter? They deserve to die.

I still remember having to get rid of paper because of how killing renewable trees to make recyclable paper for bags is bad for the environment.

Radeck 01-26-2013 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dumpsterdiver (Post 57139154)
Those morons got rid of bags at the meat counter? They deserve to die.

I still remember having to get rid of paper because of how killing renewable trees to make recyclable paper for bags is bad for the environment.

very little that the fringe tree-huggers do makes sense or basic logic...they act on emotion alone...they should be BEGGING everyone to use paper, and use it a lot, because the tree farms used to produce paper take that evil carbon out of the air, fix it in the paper bags, which then lock the carbon away in the land fills when the bags end up there (even if recycled, most of the paper eventually ends up in the landfill or locked in one form or another)....but then cult followers were never big on free-thought and logical analyses...it's just about mindlessly following anything the high priest preaches

vivahate 01-26-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBananaMess (Post 57137610)
LOL @ hippies schlepping their canvas bags for a $0.01 discount and getting e. coli as a result.

The jokes on you :-) The hippies are probably vegan.

124nic8 01-26-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radeck (Post 57140932)
very little that the fringe tree-huggers do makes sense or basic logic...they act on emotion alone...they should be BEGGING everyone to use paper, and use it a lot, because the tree farms used to produce paper take that evil carbon out of the air, fix it in the paper bags, which then lock the carbon away in the land fills when the bags end up there (even if recycled, most of the paper eventually ends up in the landfill or locked in one form or another)....but then cult followers were never big on free-thought and logical analyses...it's just about mindlessly following anything the high priest preaches

Speaking of which, paper continues to decay and release CO2 (and methane) while being "locked away" in landfills. Landfills have vents to release the build up of gases.

homers 01-26-2013 10:49 AM

Also from the study: (and this is just for San Fran, not all the other cities/counties that have implemented similar bans).

"Our results suggest that the San Francisco ban led to, conservatively, 5.4 annual additional deaths. Using the EPA’s current estimated value of a statistical life, 8.4 million in current dollars, this suggests an annual loss of about $45 million without considering the additional hospital costs, either associated with these deaths or with the increased ER visits documented above, or the personal costs suffered by individuals who do not seek medical care."

"Despite these concerns, it could be argued that a simple solution exists, namely fastidious washing of the reusable bags. Such a solution is problematic, however. First, washing such bags will itself have negative environmental consequences through excess water use. Further, the detergents necessary to clean the bags add to the environmental costs, as does the use of water hot enough to kill the bacteria."

roughnready 01-26-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radeck (Post 57140932)
very little that the fringe tree-huggers do makes sense or basic logic...they act on emotion alone...they should be BEGGING everyone to use paper, and use it a lot, because the tree farms used to produce paper take that evil carbon out of the air

Carbon neutral paper production. That's a new one.

Dr. J 01-26-2013 05:04 PM

Also

Tests find high levels of lead in reusable bags [usatoday.com]

The non-woven-polypropylene bags, sold by chains including Safeway, Walgreen's and Bloom, all had lead content above 100 parts per million — the highest level that many states allow in consumer packaging.

Other retailers and organizations with bags or bag inserts tested by CCF that had lead levels above 100 ppm include: Giant; Giant Eagle; KTA Super Stores; Staples; Piggly Wiggly; Brookshire Brothers; Gerbes; Stater Bros.; University of Oregon; the Defense Commissary Agency; Washington, D.C., Department of the Environment; and the Florida Department of Environmental Protection.

adr 01-26-2013 06:09 PM

I wonder how much bacteria is on the surface of the shopping carts, baskets or the rubber conveyor belt at the checkout stand.

vaultaddict 01-26-2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. J (Post 57153404)
Also

Tests find high levels of lead in reusable bags [usatoday.com]

The non-woven-polypropylene bags, sold by chains including Safeway, Walgreen's and Bloom, all had lead content above 100 parts per million — the highest level that many states allow in consumer packaging.

Other retailers and organizations with bags or bag inserts tested by CCF that had lead levels above 100 ppm include: Giant; Giant Eagle; KTA Super Stores; Staples; Piggly Wiggly; Brookshire Brothers; Gerbes; Stater Bros.; University of Oregon; the Defense Commissary Agency; Washington, D.C., Department of the Environment; and the Florida Department of Environmental Protection.

Grocery bags are considered packaging?

barnz008 01-27-2013 01:47 PM

LOL, canvas bags. Silly OS hippy trash.

Any cool crunchy hippy kid that's worth his/her weight in a hemp necklace rock the Flip and Tumble's...http://www.flipandtumble.com/

And I'm actually serious. Those bags are great. The Mrs has about nine of them. When they get all scuzzy, you just toss it in the wash...right after you barf blood and have non-stop hot liquid ejections from all the 0157:H7, of course. ;)

LivninSC 01-28-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWoman (Post 57137664)
Wow, I guess people are stupid. I use reusable bags off and on, but I never, ever let them put raw meat in a reusable bag. If, for any reason, the bag seems dirty, I wash it. Seems like common sense.

Seriously. I was actually talking about this very thing this weekend. Basically if you put your meats in the plastic bags and that's it you're good. Use your brain people :D

homers 01-28-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LivninSC (Post 57187114)
Seriously. I was actually talking about this very thing this weekend. Basically if you put your meats in the plastic bags and that's it you're good. Use your brain people :D

Well, appartently the masses aren't as smart as many believe. Remember that if you think the average person isn't that smart, that there's half the population who is dumber than the average person.

Mr. Sparkles 02-03-2013 09:48 PM

The world could certainly use fewer meat eaters. I'm glad they are self-correcting their population.

riznick 02-04-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Sparkles (Post 57346450)
The world could certainly use fewer meat eaters. I'm glad they are self-correcting their population.

Happy that kids are dying?

vivahate 02-04-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riznick (Post 57363536)
Happy that kids are dying?

If they're the annoying kind that revel in how much bacon they eat and have no empathy for the misery that factory farming causes then, yes.

If they're dying because of the stupidity of their parents/guardians, then no.

Happy to help!