Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Deal Talk (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Panasonic TC-P60U50 60-Inch 600hz High Definition Plasma $798 + Free Shipping (Ebay Daily Deal) *it's back* (http://slickdeals.net/f/5823370-panasonic-tc-p60u50-60-inch-600hz-high-definition-plasma-798-free-shipping-ebay-daily-deal-it-s-back)

DJ3xclusive 01-27-2013 08:55 AM

Panasonic TC-P60U50 60-Inch 600hz High Definition Plasma $798 + Free Shipping (Ebay Daily Deal) *it's back*

3 Attachment(s)
Crisp, Clear Moving Picture: 600Hz Sub-field Drive
  • Panasonic uses its own unique image-analysis technology. This technology converts the motion in each scene into data, and each frame is virtually displayed in a shorter length of time, to create crisp images.
Clear Images from Any Angle Viewing Angle Free
  • Self-illuminating plasma displays can be viewed from anywhere in the living room without any color fading, so images are always clear and beautiful. Each pixel appears exactly the same, so there is no difference in colors even when viewed from an angle.
Get More Excitement Out of Gaming with Game Mode
  • Games are much more fun when there's no lag in operation. VIERA automatically chooses settings that provide the optimal image, so you get super-fast response and no delays. Even dark scenes with delicately rendered details are beautiful and easy to see. Game mode makes all of the game apps on VIERA Connect even more fun to play.
Play Various Types of Formats Easily Media Player
  • Simply insert an SD Memory Card or USB memory stick into the slot to enjoy previously saved photos, video clips and music on VIERA's large screen. You can also add frames and other effects to your photos and videos, and create slide shows complete with background music. A wide variety of formats are supported, so you can listen to PC-based music files and web movies right on your TV
  1. Full HD
  2. 600HZ Sub-field Drive
  3. Media Player (movie & photo capable)
  4. Game Mode
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic...1062984656

iconian 01-27-2013 08:55 AM

60" Panasonic Viera TC-P60U50 600Hz Plasma HDTV $798 + Free Shipping

1 Attachment(s)
Buydig via Ebay has 60" Panasonic Viera TC-P60U50 600Hz Plasma HDTV for $798 with free shipping. Thanks DJ3xclusive

Specs:
  • Tuner: ATSC/QAM/NTSC
  • Resolution: 1920x1080 (1080p)
  • Refresh Rate: 60Hz
  • Connectors:
    • 2x HDMI
    • 1x Composite
    • 1x Component
    • 1x USB
    • 1x Audio
Price Research: Our research indicates that this 60" Panasonic TC-P60U50 600Hz Plasma HDTV is $100 lower (11% savings) than the next best available price from a reputable merchant with prices ranging from $898 to $1199. -yuugotserved

wario76 01-27-2013 09:15 AM

Great find, repped.

savemybucks 01-27-2013 09:21 AM

can one tell if screen is matte or glossy?

derek533 01-27-2013 09:26 AM

Excellent tv for the money. I bought one right after black friday from Amazon and couldn't be happier. Just make sure you can control room lighting as it is a glossy screen. Also, be aware that this is a "dumb" tv with no apps, no 3D, or other costly gadgets. It's just a basic tv with a gorgeous picture. It has two HDMI ports and one set of component inputs as well as a digital optical and that's it. If you need more ports, you'll have to use a cheap hdmi switcher (check monoprice).

You won't find a better picture for the price.

The thumbnail picture of the tv is WRONG. The pedestal is no longer a duck foot style pedestal and looks more like a Samsung or LG. Also, the tv has a clear piece trim plastic all around the bezel giving it a modernized look. Amazon has the same picture as the thumbnail but if you can go to Sam's to check it out in person, you'll see what I mean. The model at Sam's is the P60U54 but it's the exact same set, just a differentiating model number. This set has the same pedestal as the ST and GT series do

Baddogdaddy 01-27-2013 09:27 AM

Now this is what I've been waiting for! Time to bite

EddieLasVegas 01-27-2013 09:28 AM

Certainly a decent deal, but I would caution anyone buying a large TV to look at the return policy for defective merchandise.

For Buydig, the onus is on the buyer and I can't imagine what it cost to ship a large TV any distance. plus there's the bother of actually keeping the original shipping materials to package it properly for return.

Eddie

tennis8363 01-27-2013 09:29 AM

Good review of the TV here:
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-pane...72893.html

tennis8363 01-27-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieLasVegas (Post 57165754)
Certainly a decent deal, but I would caution anyone buying a large TV to look at the return policy for defective merchandise.

For Buydig, the onus is on the buyer and I can't imagine what it cost to ship a large TV any distance. plus there's the bother of actually keeping the original shipping materials to package it properly for return.

Eddie

Not according to their return policy, if you don't like it, you should pay for return shipping IMO anyways. But if there is an issue, no cost to the purchaser.

"Television Returns
If you aren't 100% satisfied with your TV purchase, you may return any factory-sealed new or open like-new Television within 45 days from the shipping date. We'll gladly exchange it or give you a refund, whichever you prefer. All returned or exchanged items must be in their original box and include all the original packing material, manuals, and accessories. When you receive your order, we recommend that you keep all packing materials in case you need to return the TV.

If you just don't like it - we will accept your return; we just ask that you pay for return shipping and processing fees. You'll also need to pack the TV in its original box with all original packing material, and accessories. We'll arrange for a special shipping carrier to pick up TV (over 41 inches) from your home. We will provide you with the return shipping and processing fee prior to arranging the TV pick up or exchange.

If your TV was damaged in shipping - It is important that you inspect the TV (not only the box it came in) prior to signing for it. If the TV is damaged (not the carton), please refuse the delivery and contact us at 1.800.572.3224. All damage related claims must be reported within 48 hours after delivery. A replacement will be sent immediately after we are notified about the damage.

If your TV does not seem to function properly - we'll help troubleshoot and determine how to solve the problem; if we can't, we'll arrange for service to assess the television. If the service doesn't resolve the issue, we can arrange for a refund or exchange."

Quote:

Originally Posted by savemybucks (Post 57165616)

Glossy.

codeyf 01-27-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derek533 (Post 57165708)
Excellent tv for the money. I bought one right after black friday from Amazon and couldn't be happier. Just make sure you can control room lighting as it is a glossy screen. Also, be aware that this is a "dumb" tv with no apps, no 3D, or other costly gadgets. It's just a basic tv with a gorgeous picture. It has two HDMI ports and one set of component inputs as well as a digital optical and that's it. If you need more ports, you'll have to use a cheap hdmi switcher (check monoprice).

The thumbnail picture of the tv is WRONG. The pedestal is no longer a squared off pedestal and is round. Also, the tv has a clear piece trim plastic all around the bezel giving it a modernized look. Amazon has the same picture as the thumbnail but if you can go to Sam's to check it out in person, you'll see what I mean. The model at Sam's is the P60U54 but it's the exact same set, just a differentiating model number. It has the same pedestal as the ST and GT series do

I bought this TV on Thursday when it was on 2-day special at Fry's for the same price. The stand is square. The pictures on Pansonic's own site [panasonic.com] also show the square pedestal. Researching on the differences between the U50 and U54, I also found reports that the U54 is missing some of the picture adjustment settings that are on the U50.

http://i.imgur.com/AG21UTg.jpg

Also confirming that the screen is glossy.

Great set though, at a great price. I'm very happy with mine.

audiokingman 01-27-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ3xclusive (Post 57165106)
[FONT=Arial !important !important !important !important !important !important !important !important !important !important !important !important !important !important !important]Crisp, Clear Moving Picture: 600Hz Sub-field Drive

Thank goodness that "600Hz" is pointed out in the title and description, because there are so many Plasma tv's that don't feature that......

We should also point out that it runs on 120 volts.

markzabin 01-27-2013 09:57 AM

No tax either, finally pulled the trigger on this. This was pretty much TV of the year for dumb budget 60" TVs. Hoping the return policy doesn't bite me in the ass. Frys has had this at $700 before though. EPP had this at $765 with tax prior to selling out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by audiokingman (Post 57166202)
Thank goodness that "600Hz" is pointed out in the title and description, because there are so many Plasma tv's that don't feature that......

We should also point out that it runs on 120 volts.

People that are comparing this to LED or LCD might care, or not know.

haydeecm 01-27-2013 09:57 AM

Seriously debating this or the P55UT50 that will be at costco starting on 1/31 for $749. That one will be about $20 more after taxes, and ease of mind of dealing with costco, but I would really rather have the 5 extra inches than the smart TV/3D which I'll probably never use.

derek533 01-27-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by codeyf (Post 57166152)
I bought this TV on Thursday when it was on 2-day special at Fry's for the same price. The stand is square. Having done the research on the differences between the U50 and U54, I also found that the U54 is missing some of the picture adjustment settings that are on the U50.

http://i.imgur.com/AG21UTg.jpg

Also confirming that the screen is glossy.

Great set though, at a great price. I'm very happy with mine.

I need to edit my post above as the stand is still square, it just doesn't have that duck foot stand in the picture. It's like this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/...d_i=507846

codeyf 01-27-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haydeecm (Post 57166278)
Seriously debating this or the P55UT50 that will be at costco starting on 1/31 for $749. That one will be about $20 more after taxes, and ease of mind of dealing with costco, but I would really rather have the 5 extra inches than the smart TV/3D which I'll probably never use.

This was my exact dilemma. I will never bother with the active 3d glasses, nor will my wife. Kids probably would like it, but it isn't their $$. For smart apps, Roku or Apple TV is a better option. You know the software on those is going to be maintained/updated better than the Panny's.

If that doesn't sway you, the actual screen area of a 60" is 20% more than that of a 55" ;)

MachuPicchu 01-27-2013 10:08 AM

Are the HDTV deals going to get better or worse as we move closer to the superbowl. Was looking for a hot deal on a 60 inch.

aragonry 01-27-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Super glossy

Baddogdaddy 01-27-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought all plasmas were glossy.

tennis8363 01-27-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MachuPicchu (Post 57166464)
Are the HDTV deals going to get better or worse as we move closer to the superbowl. Was looking for a hot deal on a 60 inch.

I suspect that they should get cheaper after. I am in no rush to buy so I might hold off and wait until mid-to-late February for a better deal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baddogdaddy (Post 57166696)

For the most part, but there have been a couple in the past with an anti-glare screen. My Panasonic from 2007 or so had that.

mickster1245 01-27-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Yes, they have a sheet of glass in front of the screen so you get an almost mirror image when the lighting in the room is bright. It's the only caveat of plasma. I was going to get this one last time but it had sold out before I could. My local Fry's had the LG 60PA5500 for $699. so I opted for it. (BTW it is again on sale today only, at my local store http://www.frys.com/product/70625...ate:012713 ). In comparision the only difference I see is LG has 3 HDMIs and the Panny 2 HDMIs and a SDXC card slot. I must add I replaced a 42" panny from 2007 and it was still going strong.:worship:

docdoc157 01-27-2013 11:08 AM

I bought this TV around thanksgiving, LOVE it.

Cyrix2k 01-27-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

No, some have a coating on the screen to reduce glare.
Quote:

Originally Posted by docdoc157 (Post 57167590)
I bought this TV around thanksgiving, LOVE it.

+1! This is a GREAT set with a few caveats. The color rendition and black levels are second to none, but the TV can be on the dim side, it has a glossy screen, 24p playback is at 48hz resulting in noticeable flicker, and it only has two HDMI inputs. In a dark room, like a basement, this set is FANTASTIC if you don't care about 1080/24p playback. It's not unusable in a room with windows, but be prepared to deal with the glare.

DJ3xclusive 01-27-2013 12:05 PM

Great customer reviews across amazon :woot:

the11 01-27-2013 12:13 PM

I bought the one from SAMs yesterday and have 90 days to return. We were originally looking for a 55", but don't need a smart TV due to Apple TV. Local SAMs had 4 in stock and none on display.

thelnel52 01-27-2013 12:26 PM

I bought this from Amazon about a month ago and love it. The difference in size between 60" and the 50" that this replaced for me is amazing.

Changed my life.

joeman37 01-27-2013 12:47 PM

Does anyone have the length and width dimensions of the base? I got this from Fry's last week for $799 and will be building a stand/entertainment center for it before it arrives. Would like the base dimensions before I start cutting wood.

Thanks,

-Joe

tkeppell 01-27-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeO5709 (Post 57169314)
Does anyone have the length and width dimensions of the base? I got this from Fry's last week for $799 and will be building a stand/entertainment center for it before it arrives. Would like the base dimensions before I start cutting wood.

Thanks,

-Joe

Look Here [panasonic.com]

Dimensions with stand
Height [inches (mm)] 34.8" (883 mm)
Width [inches (mm)] 55.2" (1,401 mm)
Depth [inches (mm)] 15.3" (387 mm)

Dimensions W/O stand
Height [inches (mm)] 32.9" (835 mm)
Width [inches (mm)] 55.2" (1,401 mm)
Depth [inches (mm)] Max.: 3.3" (84 mm); General: 2.6" (65 mm)

Oen386 01-27-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis8363 (Post 57166792)
I suspect that they should get cheaper after. I am in no rush to buy so I might hold off and wait until mid-to-late February for a better deal.

I have heard and read that is a bad idea.

Typically vendors push Super Bowl sales to get people that want "the big TV for the game". From what I understand new models come out in February, so prices will be back to regular/high.

Someone correct me if this is wrong, or has changed in the last year or two.

Maconi 01-27-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oen386 (Post 57170950)
I have heard and read that is a bad idea.

Typically vendors push Super Bowl sales to get people that want "the big TV for the game". From what I understand new models come out in February, so prices will be back to regular/high.

Someone correct me if this is wrong, or has changed in the last year or two.

From what I've read most places have already sold most of their old stock. These TVs will be harder and harder to get as time goes on, causing the prices to go back up slightly.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I was trying to hold out until this TV hit $700 (tax free, free shipping) but I'm afraid to hold out any longer so I think I'll bite on this one.

I did notice that Buydig's policy is "inspect upon delivery", so that means you have to figure out any issues before the delivery guy can leave? What's reasonable to check for while you're making the poor guy wait, just immediate damage or is there some defect to look for?

tennis8363 01-27-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maconi (Post 57171336)
From what I've read most places have already sold most of their old stock. These TVs will be harder and harder to get as time goes on, causing the prices to go back up slightly.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I was trying to hold out until this TV hit $700 (tax free, free shipping) but I'm afraid to hold out any longer so I think I'll bite on this one.

I did notice that Buydig's policy is "inspect upon delivery", so that means you have to figure out any issues before the delivery guy can leave? What's reasonable to check for while you're making the poor guy wait, just immediate damage or is there some defect to look for?

It says FedEx delivery, so it may just end up on your door. There is no way the FedEx guy waits around for you to inspect.

jskibo 01-27-2013 03:27 PM

Panasonic direct is now out of stock and this TV has dropped to page two with no way to order now that the 2013 line is out.

I bought three two weeks ago from the EPP site.

Great TV, awesome picture and black levels.

Using my three in a flight sim setup. Screen is glossy, not so noticeable in a dark room.

e2g 01-27-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thelnel52 (Post 57168982)
I bought this from Amazon about a month ago and love it. The difference in size between 60" and the 50" that this replaced for me is amazing.

Changed my life.

Why did you have to say that..I am still rocking my 50" LG plasma but man, I wouldn't mind trying something new :)

skimrn 01-27-2013 05:09 PM

My God times have changed. My 60inch Pioneer Kuro Plasma retailed at $6500 4yrs ago and a good entry level Panasonic plasma like this cost less than $800!!!

Isn't technology great? I can't wait till a 70inch OLED go down to $2000. Since 55inch cost $12,000 right now I am guessing give it about 10years? :)

papitosabe 01-27-2013 05:09 PM

ok, so how does the ranking go regardding plasma, lcd, led?

1. Plasma, Correct?
2. ???
3. ???

I completely forgot about LEDs...I'm guessing its last of the 3...but just a guess...

calistyle 01-27-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papitosabe (Post 57173972)

1. Plasma, Correct?
2. ???
3. ???

I completely forgot about LEDs...I'm guessing its last of the 3...but just a guess...

led > lcd

Prince01 01-27-2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by codeyf (Post 57166420)
This was my exact dilemma. I will never bother with the active 3d glasses, nor will my wife. Kids probably would like it, but it isn't their $$. For smart apps, Roku or Apple TV is a better option. You know the software on those is going to be maintained/updated better than the Panny's.

If that doesn't sway you, the actual screen area of a 60" is 20% more than that of a 55" ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by haydeecm (Post 57166278)

Actually I was about to post similar comment.
I would rather wait for Costco, just yesterday I saw the new Costco sales book and found this deal on first page.
$20 more but comes with Costco customer service and extended service plan from Costco, cant beat.
Beside that Costco TV isn't smart TV I guess.

papitosabe 01-27-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calistyle (Post 57174078)
led > lcd

ahhh...thx...didn't know that...my mom's Haier LCD looks damn good, but will def go for plasma hopefully, or at least an LED next time...

mayurolla 01-27-2013 05:32 PM

Good deal on this TV! Too bad I cant fit a 60" in my room. Now when will budy dig offer the nexus 7...

Catthief 01-27-2013 05:37 PM

Thanks for the post, I'm in for 1!!

omnivor 01-27-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis8363 (Post 57171396)
It says FedEx delivery, so it may just end up on your door. There is no way the FedEx guy waits around for you to inspect.

It says FedEx, but they're actually using http://www.teamww.com/index.php to ship it. The shipper will contact you to arrange a delivery date and time. I just got my shipping confirmation, so I know.

tennis8363 01-27-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince01 (Post 57174134)
Actually I was about to post similar comment.
I would rather wait for Costco, just yesterday I saw the new Costco sales book and found this deal on first page.
$20 more but comes with Costco customer service and extended service plan from Costco, cant beat.
Beside that Costco TV isn't smart TV I guess.

For some of us, buying at Costco will add a tax hit compared to eBay.

papitosabe 01-27-2013 05:50 PM

so is this TV much better than the 60" LG plasma going on at Fry's for $699??

Baddogdaddy 01-27-2013 05:55 PM

I've been on the verge of ordering all day now. I just don't trust the shipping/ return deal. If it was amazon it would have been a no brainer. I just can't chance it.

Cyrix2k 01-27-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papitosabe (Post 57174266)
ahhh...thx...didn't know that...my mom's Haier LCD looks damn good, but will def go for plasma hopefully, or at least an LED next time...

"LED" means LED backlit LCD for todays TVs. The sets with local dimming (thicker, more expensive) will looks better than LCD TVs, the edge lit sets (thinner) don't really have an advantage and sometimes look worse.
Quote:

Originally Posted by papitosabe (Post 57174764)

This TV is the highest ranked in its category. I'm not sure how much better it looks, but it's bound to be at least somewhat better. I'd also buy this one over the LG because the Panasonics have a better reputation for reliability.

tennis8363 01-27-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baddogdaddy (Post 57174838)
I've been on the verge of ordering all day now. I just don't trust the shipping/ return deal. If it was amazon it would have been a no brainer. I just can't chance it.

Same here...

vettefan8 01-27-2013 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papitosabe (Post 57173972)

1. Plasma, Correct?
2. ???
3. ???

They all have +'s and -'s. I personally prefer plasmas.

Plasmas = Thicker, heavier, use more energy, bad glare BUT amazing viewing angles, amazing picture quality, No ghosting/motion blur, pitch black BLACKS.

LED = Very energy efficient, can be very thin, can be very light BUT worse picture quality, lighter blacks (dark gray), can have motion blur or soap opera effect, worse viewing angles

LCD = Middle of the road energy efficiency, middle of the road thickness, middle of the road weight, lighter blacks (dark gray), can have motion blur or soap opera effect, worse viewing angles.

I have 1 great Samsung plasma that I love and 2 older LCD's. I would have gotten 3 plasmas if my house would have allowed for it. Plasmas have a full glass layer over the top and are really bad with glare, so they are not ideal for all rooms of your house. I would strongly recommend a plasma for a room with very few windows or bright lights. If you can find an area where glare won't be an issue, and energy use and thickness of the TV don't matter, you MUST get a plasma. You will still get a small amount of image retention every now and then, if you leave it on a screen for hours at a time, but the issues of burn-in are pretty much over.

wendymark1139 01-27-2013 06:07 PM

i saw the UT 50inch for 799 at costco today.

papitosabe 01-27-2013 06:10 PM

damnit, I was just about to post this deal thinking I snagged the thread of the century.....

http://www.frys.com/product/6254830

buaah, buaahhhh....

mikedaley 01-27-2013 06:11 PM

Uhhh...that's ok. The dude has accumulated over 375 negative feedbacks with the last 12 months - 49 of those within the last month. You people can throw your $$$ away if you want on this fraudster but I prefer to buy a TV from a dealer that I can walk up to and meet face to face - like Best Buy for example. I would NEVER shell out $700 for a TV from a guy on flea bay - just my 2 cents. Not trying to crap the thread but just giving some sound financial advice. You can take it or leave it..

huevos 01-27-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikedaley (Post 57175196)
Uhhh...that's ok. The dude has accumulated over 375 negative feedbacks with the last 12 months - 49 of those within the last month. You people can throw your $$$ away if you want on this fraudster but I prefer to buy a TV from a dealer that I can walk up to and meet face to face - like Best Buy for example. I would NEVER shell out $700 for a TV from a guy on flea bay - just my 2 cents. Not trying to crap the thread but just giving some sound financial advice. You can take it or leave it..

You are aware that "the dude" is BuyDig/Beach Camera, an outfit that has been around for decades? And that 49 negative feedback as a percentage of their sales volume is less than 0.5%?

skimrn 01-27-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calistyle (Post 57174078)
led > lcd

Plasma>LED>LCD

Fact:
Plasma has best picture quality and cheapest. End of story.

eb50 01-27-2013 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skimrn (Post 57175274)
Plasma>LED>LCD

Fact:
Plasma has best picture quality and cheapest. End of story.

if those are your only criteria, CRT FTW lol

Baddogdaddy 01-27-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis8363 (Post 57174982)
Same here...

The thing is, we will see the same if not better deals in the next week. It's not worth taking the chance.

stewtheman 01-27-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eb50 (Post 57175470)

That's a crazy thing to say. "Best quality" and "cheapest" are two completely separate qualities that stand on their own, independent of each other. Plasma does have the best picture quality. Plasma is generally the cheapest option compared to LCD and LED sets. There is no such thing as a 60" or 1080P CRT TV, so a CRT would not be a better option. While I realize your post wasn't meant to be serious, the flawed logic still bothered me. That is all.

haydeecm 01-27-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis8363 (Post 57174642)
For some of us, buying at Costco will add a tax hit compared to eBay.

He was responding to my comment which had already taken into account sales tax.

The costco price is $749, and with tax about $820
Buydig is $800, so about a $20 difference, which is what he was referring to.

So the Costco 55" UT50 comes out to about the same as this 60" U50

papitosabe 01-27-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eb50 (Post 57175470)

dude, my parent are still rockin a 36" Toshiba crt....trying to sell it on CL now for them so they can put that money on a deal...

tennis8363 01-27-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papitosabe (Post 57176168)
dude, my parent are still rockin a 36" Toshiba crt....trying to sell it on CL now for them so they can put that money on a deal...

Good luck selling on CL. I see those things for free all of the time.

papitosabe 01-27-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis8363 (Post 57176194)

sheit, that sucks...was hoping on getting $300 for that, a dvd player, and the stand....

Maconi 01-27-2013 07:06 PM

Amazon/Costco/Frys/etc. have tax for a lot of people on here. Some people don't realize that eBay offers a much better deal for a lot of us on here (although I do wish the return policy was a bit better, just have to be careful).

Also I wouldn't wait much longer on a good TV deal this year. There's really only a week or two left in "deal season" as far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong). Prices are about as low as they're going to go and many models will start going out of stock soon. Get yourself a set while you can IMO. ;)

papitosabe 01-27-2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis8363 (Post 57176194)

damn, you were right...price ranges from free to 35, 50, 75, 135....jeez..folks just said they're gonna keep it then...lol

xpfshost 01-27-2013 07:43 PM

I got this TV from Frys.com a few weeks ago. WOW! First, the shipping was free (otherwise it would have cost $145!!). When the freight company showed up and I saw the box...it was HUGE!! There was only one guy (no idea how he would have gotten it into my house if I hadn't helped him). He did take the box apart so I could inspect it. My personal opinion is that if the front glass isn't cracked, you're probably good to go. I did buy a Squaretrade warranty for it, just to be safe (used 40% off coupon at the time) It's certainly not a PERFECT tv...but I gotta tell ya...the image quality is unbelievable! You can see the most minutest of details! Separate strands of hair. Really amazing sharpness. The glare is a bummer. There is a company on Amazon that sells an anti-glare/screen protector...but it's expensive. I found the speakers to be much better than I expected. Extremely happy with the purchase, and feel 'safe' with the warranty. It's a big 'ole TV, that's for sure. Do NOT try to lift it by yourself. You could break the glass or drop it (and it's a solid 80+ pounds OUT of the box...in the box, it's about 100 pounds). I was surprised that it doesn't put out hardly any heat at all. Get yourself from HDMI cables from Monoprice and enjoy.

carloo 01-27-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papitosabe (Post 57176240)
sheit, that sucks...was hoping on getting $300 for that, a dvd player, and the stand....

You will get A LOT more for the stand than you will for the TV.

jskibo 01-27-2013 08:14 PM

It's not that heavy, supposed to be 78 without stand, but I mounted them to my homemade stands for my sim by myself. Just a bit wide...lol

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...30932d764c.jpg

They look great all together though. Really impressed with the image.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ca3952e491.jpg

Ad the black levels for night flying are great, can see all the stars....

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...94597654c7.jpg

Looks like I need two more now!

papitosabe 01-27-2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jskibo (Post 57177670)
It's not that heavy, supposed to be 78 without stand, but I mounted them to my homemade stands for my sim by myself. Just a bit wide...lol

They look great all together though. Really impressed with the image.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ca3952e491.jpg

Ad the black levels for night flying are great, can see all the stars....

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...94597654c7.jpg

Looks like I need two more now!

wow...regardless if its really yours or not, that is pretty damn sik..if it is yours, kuddos! ...got any videos up on youtube?

Daekwan 01-27-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

I have seen brand new 42" flatscreens go as low as $299. No way you were going to get $300 for a 36 tube set and a DVD player.

jskibo 01-27-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papitosabe (Post 57177770)
wow...regardless if its really yours or not, that is pretty damn sik..if it is yours, kuddos! ...got any videos up on youtube?

Three years work so far....overhead being wired now.

Needed to get the displays so I can fly and stay motivated. Was going to use three projectors, but lost the room in the house to our home theater, so I got stuck in the third bay of the garage (not complaining, I like the theater). Anyway, no room for the projectors now so went with three 60's and since these don't have all the bells and whistles, which I didn't need, and the price point was right ($764 from Panasonic EPP when they were in stock), they work great. Bonus is the image quality is excellent!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...459a824213.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...94e7a0b5ca.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...b580e2c513.jpg

phxdemon 01-27-2013 08:56 PM

wow that sim setup is awesome!

papitosabe 01-27-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jskibo (Post 57177990)

Needed to get the displays so I can fly and stay motivated. Was going to use three projectors, but lost the room in the house to our home theater, so I got stuck in the third bay of the garage (not complaining, I like the theater). Anyway, no room for the projectors now so went with three 60's and since these don't have all the bells and whistles, which I didn't need, and the price point was right ($764 from Panasonic EPP when they were in stock), they work great. Bonus is the image quality is excellent!

I've seen a similar set up like this with the 3 tvs, 3 xboxs, for forza and it was nice too...but this is completely different...

papitosabe 01-27-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daekwan (Post 57177798)
I have seen brand new 42" flatscreens go as low as $299. No way you were going to get $300 for a 36 tube set and a DVD player.

was hoping someone would buy into the nostalgic aspect of having a crt...this thing will be worth thousands in about 100 yrs man... then again, the dollar won't be worth crap either, so it'll still come out to about $10..........

jhun_hapi 01-27-2013 09:21 PM

tnks OP.. picked up 1.. b4 I missed like the last time... hopefully be here b4 superbowl...

mD- 01-27-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jskibo (Post 57177990)

holy shit

Netdude 01-27-2013 09:42 PM

Awesome TV. I picked one up a few weeks ago and the glare is a bummer, but damn, it's a sweet TV.

xpfshost 01-27-2013 10:55 PM

Awesome sim setup! I'm incredibly jealous!

Here's the official weight from the Panasonic website:

Weight W/O stand [lbs] 70.6 lbs.

Weight with stand [lbs] 81.6 lbs

Gross Weight [lbs] 101.5 lbs.

cdog90260 01-27-2013 11:01 PM

I got the LG plasma 60 from this thread: http://slickdeals.net/f/5806432-LG-60PA5500-60-Class-59-8-Actual-Diagonal-Size-1080p-600Hz-TruSlim-Plasma-TV-for-699-free-store-pickup-at-frys

only 699, and kinda surprised it had no traffic on the thread. Bought it on a whim, and floored by the quality. The TV is damn beautiful with the small bezel, and image quality is what you expect from plasma.... simply awesome. Kind of surprised, since I havent been too impressed with LG LCD's and LED's.

dragontales 01-27-2013 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdog90260 (Post 57179926)
I got the LG plasma 60 from this thread: http://slickdeals.net/f/5806432-LG-60PA5500-60-Class-59-8-Actual-Diagonal-Size-1080p-600Hz-TruSlim-Plasma-TV-for-699-free-store-pickup-at-frys

only 699, and kinda surprised it had no traffic on the thread. Bought it on a whim, and floored by the quality. The TV is damn beautiful with the small bezel, and image quality is what you expect from plasma.... simply awesome. Kind of surprised, since I havent been too impressed with LG LCD's and LED's.

That is because when you talk plasma, panny is the brand to get.

jhun_hapi 01-28-2013 12:47 AM

btw jst bought this tv any recommendation an articulating wall mount. tnks..

jskibo 01-28-2013 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhun_hapi (Post 57180712)

Plenty at monoprice.com

mickster1245 01-28-2013 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragontales (Post 57180052)
That is because when you talk plasma, panny is the brand to get.

Not according to PCWorld but what would they know?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/24..._beat.html

jskibo 01-28-2013 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickster1245 (Post 57181784)

Panny has the only better than average score in the image quality of the whole bunch, but I'll give it to you, the LG did score higher in remote, and number of ports. Two of the top things everyone looks for when buying a TV :)

dcnorm29 01-28-2013 05:34 AM

The only TV I might think about taking over a panny is LG. IMO Panny has a slightly better picture but Reliability and Warrenty are very important to me.

yurmaster 01-28-2013 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derek533 (Post 57165708)

The thumbnail picture of the tv is WRONG. The pedestal is no longer a duck foot style pedestal and looks more like a Samsung or LG. Also, the tv has a clear piece trim plastic all around the bezel giving it a modernized look. Amazon has the same picture as the thumbnail but if you can go to Sam's to check it out in person, you'll see what I mean. The model at Sam's is the P60U54 but it's the exact same set, just a differentiating model number. This set has the same pedestal as the ST and GT series do

The point about glossy vs matte screen is very valid. This seems like an outstanding TV and deal for the money. But you need minimal ambient light for the glossy screens or you will regret your purchase. Anyone know of a site that lists current models and screen finish.

yurmaster 01-28-2013 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis8363 (Post 57166792)

For the most part, but there have been a couple in the past with an anti-glare screen. My Panasonic from 2007 or so had that.

I have one from that year too. It's got the anti glare screen. Outstanding tv.

oopsz 01-28-2013 07:44 AM

Quote:

LMAO. I got a 42" Samsung Plasma for $349 - TWO YEARS AGO. The only people buying CRTs are broke students, and they aren't spending hundreds.

ImpyX 01-28-2013 07:53 AM

Am I reading this thread right? This TV can't plan 1080p video well? Want to make sure that..this isn't the case before pulling the trigger. Also how is this tv against burn-in. Does it require that 100hours of breaking in like other plasmas?

thrustbucket 01-28-2013 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImpyX (Post 57184728)
Am I reading this thread right? This TV can't plan 1080p video well? Want to make sure that..this isn't the case before pulling the trigger. Also how is this tv against burn-in. Does it require that 100hours of breaking in like other plasmas?

It does not require it, but it certainly helps. All plasmas need to be babied. Especially when first purchased - if you want the best out of them. This includes being careful with watching lots of tv shows with logos and running break-in dvd's for 100-200 hours to give the phosphers time to dim a bit. Otherwise your IR will be really annoying.

If that sounds like too much work then don't get a plasma. If you just want to plug it in and let the family go wild with the brightness cranked, don't get a plasma. Get an LCD.

Plasmas require a bit more than just plug in and go to get the most out of them.

ImpyX 01-28-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thrustbucket (Post 57185200)
It does not require it, but it certainly helps. All plasmas need to be babied. Especially when first purchased - if you want the best out of them. This includes being careful with watching lots of tv shows with logos and running break-in dvd's for 100-200 hours to give the phosphers time to dim a bit. Otherwise your IR will be really annoying.

If that sounds like too much work then don't get a plasma. If you just want to plug it in and let the family go wild with the brightness cranked, don't get a plasma. Get an LCD.

Plasmas require a bit more than just plug in and go to get the most out of them.

Thanks for the reply. Appreciate it!

maramos 01-28-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

That's from over a year ago and the only recent model they've tested since then is the VT50. I'd say PCWorld isn't a very good place to get TV reviews from. They haven't tested the ST50, GT50, UT50, or U50. And rating the Panasonic's as below average for web connected features is ridiculous. If you look at Cnet who's tested far more tvs and uses actual calibration devices they are huge fans of Panasonic.

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-hdtvs/
http://reviews.cnet.com/best-high...ition-tvs/
http://reviews.cnet.com/best-plasma-tvs/

If you don't want to read through them Panasonic comes up 13 times and has the top stop on all 3. LG comes up once and at the bottom.

m00ky 01-28-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papitosabe (Post 57174764)

Yes, worth the extra money. Interms of quality and reliability, Panasonic is better in the Plasma category.

papitosabe 01-28-2013 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thrustbucket (Post 57185200)

so when you do the break-in dvd thing, do you run it for 100 hours straight? i know its prob a dumb question, but you never know...

mrbb008 01-28-2013 08:38 AM

On the fence on getting this and fear of plasma glare. I have a 15'x15' room with one 8'x6' window. Right now the 32" lcd sits on the corner next to the window so par of the window is behind the TV. There is only only ceiling light. I wonder what has been your experience on optimal placement of plasma?

Eventually I'd like to put the TV on the NE wall and the window would be on the N wall. Is sunlight coming from the side create much glare/reflection?

If this TV was easily returnable I'd jump on this in no time....

thrustbucket 01-28-2013 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papitosabe (Post 57185754)
so when you do the break-in dvd thing, do you run it for 100 hours straight? i know its prob a dumb question, but you never know...

It doesn't matter. It just needs to be 100 hours total. Or, I'd recommend closer to 200. There are various methods of doing it. Some people just run a bluray on a loop for a few days.

Daybringer 01-28-2013 09:27 AM

Dead?

jhun_hapi 01-28-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jskibo (Post 57177670)

Nice set up... Do you have the measurements and more pictures pls. Im thinking of doing the same thing. Dont want put holes on my wall plus I can move this around.. tnks

DTW_flyer 01-28-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jskibo (Post 57181582)
Plenty at monoprice.com

I'm curious on a recommended TV swivel (example a [amazon.com], example b [amazon.com])...

Anyone w/ past experience? TIA :cool:

Scirocco 01-28-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

I bought this one from costco when it was on sale for $80. Works great.

MW-Mounts-125-lb.-Capacity-Low-Profile-Full-Motion-Universal-Mount-MW125C64 [costco.com]

Scirocco 01-28-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrbb008 (Post 57185824)
On the fence on getting this and fear of plasma glare. I have a 15'x15' room with one 8'x6' window. Right now the 32" lcd sits on the corner next to the window so par of the window is behind the TV. There is only only ceiling light. I wonder what has been your experience on optimal placement of plasma?

Eventually I'd like to put the TV on the NE wall and the window would be on the N wall. Is sunlight coming from the side create much glare/reflection?

If this TV was easily returnable I'd jump on this in no time....

My set up is similar to your current one, in our daylight basement. We have a large (3'x6') window ~3' to the left, and a sliding glass door about the same distance to the right. Neither has given us any glare/reflection issues even during the day, and the daylight coming in from those sources is not distracting either since my son and I have our gaming chairs essentially even with our respective side of the tv, angled in. We do have one fairly dim overhead light in the room that is off to the right side of the tv, a little in front of where we sit. Since I sit on the left side of the tv I do see the reflection of the light and if my part of the split screen is on top I turn off the light. (Usually we just play in the dark anyway). I will be getting a lamp to use so that we don't have to sit in complete darkness, but that will sit low enough that it does not cause any reflection issues. My wife does craft work with bright lights in the same room but ~18' to the left of us without causing any unpleasantness on our part.

We had the option to put the tv on the wall perpendicular (and close) to the sliding glass door with the overhead light directly in front of the tv, but I think the reflection would not have been acceptable there without closing the blinds over the door during the day and turning off the light. That being the door that the dogs go in and out of most of the time I think it might have been a pain. The ambient light downstairs is fairly low so i think those actions would have made it an acceptable location but I think where we have it now is probably the best.

Even with that minor reflection issue for us, I am completely happy with this purchase. I hesitated around thanksgiving last year when this was $699 on an EPP deal (this was my first plasma purchase and there were several large LED's on sale at the time as well) and I kick myself now for not jumping on that. I ended up getting it a couple weeks later with the EPP for $764. The picture quality is outstanding. We have a 55" Vizio upstairs (with a matte screen in a very bright room) that we have been very happy with as well, but the deeper blacks on the plasma make much more of a difference than I would have thought. Once I get another blu-ray for this set up I probably won't watch movies upstairs anymore.

Regarding other issues that I remember seeing about this tv:
- I remember reading rumors of a plasma hum when i was researching this tv but I have never noticed it on ours.
- I bought a digital receiver so that I could use some floor speakers from our old analog entertainment system, so the number of HDMI inputs was not a factor for me since the new receiver has plenty.
- Smart TV features are not an issue for me either because like someone else has mentioned there are other devices that provide those features that have a much higher chance of getting updated with new functionality as changes and additional features come out.

We only have our XBOX hooked into the system so far and it has been awesome for that. One difficulty that I have noticed while gaming split screen (that i did not notice on the Vizio) is playing minecraft. When one player opens a menu (crafting or opening a chest, etc) it is a fairly bright chunk of image in the middle of that screen split, that causes the same general area in the other split to get, or at least appear to get darker, in some cases making it hard for the other player to see what they are doing. I have not tweaked any of the tv settings so far, it is factory default, but I'm thinking I should probably try some tweaks and see if I can reduce or eliminate the problem. This is not a big enough issue for me to regret this purchase either tho.

Hope that helps...

dragontales 01-28-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

You stick with your LG while I enjoy my Panny.

jskibo 01-28-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhun_hapi (Post 57192346)
Nice set up... Do you have the measurements and more pictures pls. Im thinking of doing the same thing. Dont want put holes on my wall plus I can move this around.. tnks

Home Depot project.

Inch and a half galvanized pipe, it's threaded at both end and they will cut it for you. I had them cut it in half (can also use two inch black pipe if you like).

One pipe flange

Four 5/16th bolts, eight washers, four lock washers, four nuts

One of their one inch thick 18" round unfinished table tops (I added a 24" x 24" 3/4 play wood under it)

Two U-bolts

24" x 48" 3/4 plywood (I bought the whole sheet and had them cut it as I needed three)

Thin mount from monoprice.com

Cheap, easy to put together and easy to adjust....

markzabin 01-28-2013 06:15 PM

Anyone have calibrated settings for this tv or is each unit too different? Anyone get a ca shipping eta?

cdog90260 01-28-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markzabin (Post 57199838)
Anyone have calibrated settings for this tv or is each unit too different? Anyone get a ca shipping eta?

from amazon poster vince johnson:
My Settings:

Picture Mode: Cinema
Contrast +97
Brightness +62
Color +61
Tint 0
Sharpness +10
Color Temp Normal
Color Management Off
C.A.T.S. Off
Video NR Off

And In Advanced Picture:

Block NR: Off
Mosquito NR Off
Black Level Light
3:2 Pulldown Auto

jhun_hapi 01-28-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jskibo (Post 57196164)
Home Depot project.

Inch and a half galvanized pipe, it's threaded at both end and they will cut it for you. I had them cut it in half (can also use two inch black pipe if you like).

One pipe flange

Four 5/16th bolts, eight washers, four lock washers, four nuts

One of their one inch thick 18" round unfinished table tops (I added a 24" x 24" 3/4 play wood under it)

Two U-bolts

24" x 48" 3/4 plywood (I bought the whole sheet and had them cut it as I needed three)

Thin mount from monoprice.com

Cheap, easy to put together and easy to adjust....

Tnks.. Any pictures?

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdog90260 (Post 57200274)
from amazon poster vince johnson:
My Settings:

Picture Mode: Cinema
Contrast +97
Brightness +62
Color +61
Tint 0
Sharpness +10
Color Temp Normal
Color Management Off
C.A.T.S. Off
Video NR Off

And In Advanced Picture:

Block NR: Off
Mosquito NR Off
Black Level Light
3:2 Pulldown Auto

tnks for the settings

markzabin 01-29-2013 08:02 PM

Estimated delivery: Thu. Jan. 31 - Wed. Feb. 13, FML

teejnut 01-31-2013 12:54 PM

Not sure if anyone has gotten tracking information or a call. But I just called BuyDig and they said they were out of stock and expect new stock come in by Friday and my order will ship out Friday or Monday. I ordered at ~3pm PST on 1/27.

JY333 01-31-2013 02:54 PM

I ordered on Sunday and they have provided me a fake tracking number………. Are they scamming me?

blacky2 01-31-2013 09:30 PM

I ordered mine Monday and Tuesday they sent me an email that they shipped my order, they also provided a tracking number ( the tracking number does not seem to work) According to the email that i received i should receive the tv by Friday...

markzabin 01-31-2013 11:03 PM

Ordered mine on Sunday, the 27th, no shipping details released to me yet. I noticed that the shipping details link they provided me is no longer there either.

Maconi 02-01-2013 04:59 AM

Well damn, now Frys is selling this for $700 (no tax for me, free shipping). According to my tracking number (freight shipping through "Team Worldwide") the TV will arrive today. Buydig's policy says if the TV isn't broken you have to pay return shipping/processing fees which would likely cancel out the $100 difference. Even if the TV is damaged it looks like they prefer replacement over refund so it looks like we're stuck out of the Frys deal. :( lol

http://slickdeals.net/f/5833390-Fry-s-60-Panasonic-Viera-TC-P60U50-600Hz-Plasma-HDTV-699-Free-Shipping

teejnut 02-01-2013 08:03 AM

Since my order didn't ship yet I was able to cancel and jump on the frys deal. Even with tax I still save some $ plus get it sooner.

markzabin 02-01-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teejnut (Post 57291146)
Since my order didn't ship yet I was able to cancel and jump on the frys deal. Even with tax I still save some $ plus get it sooner.

Do you have the number to cancel or did you just email him? I am in the same boat. Never mind, no more free shipping on the current FP deal.

Edit again, they called and shipping it today.

dukeboy73 02-01-2013 09:28 AM

Mine arrived today. Picture is awesome. Really nice TV.

jhun_hapi 02-01-2013 02:26 PM

Mine arrived today too. I was lucky enough that I called in sick today to received it if not will be Monday.. Now I'm felling much better.. Going to Home Depot to get parts to make a stand. Also my articular mount arrive yesterday.. I guess 2 60" will be enough for this Super Bowl... Go 49ers!!!!! Big tnks SD!!!!!

DTW_flyer 02-02-2013 04:45 PM

OT: Squaretrade warranty just added w/ (2/2/13 only $49 off)

I just got 4 years warranty coverage from Squaretrade for only $70.99 after today's upto $49.00 off promo.

Go to squaretrade and generate quote by entering ebay item # [squaretrade.com]321062984656 [squaretrade.com].

Then choose 3yr or also add 4th yr and apply new coupon generated from today's earlier slickdeal (Squaretrade 49% off (up to $49) ANY Protection Plan, today only 2/2/13 until 9pm EST..)

I realize that we have only 1hr 15 min left in the Squaretrade promotion, HTH.