Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Hot Deals (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Canon EOS 6D 20.2 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD and EF24-105mm IS Lens Kit $2,400.02 w/2% in rewards / fs @ amazon (http://slickdeals.net/e/5827582-canon-eos-6d-20-2-mp-cmos-digital-slr-camera-with-3-0-inch-lcd-and-ef24-105mm-is-lens-kit-2-400-02-w-2-in-rewards-fs-amazon)

Cookie21 01-29-2013 11:05 AM

Canon EOS 6D 20.2 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD and EF24-105mm IS Lens Kit $2,400.02 w/2% in rewards / fs @ amazon

Canon EOS 6D 20.2 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD and EF24-105mm IS Lens Kit [amazon.com]

$2.326.55 if you use mamazon visa @ 3% cb! ;)

Product Features
Style: EOS 6D and EF24-105mm IS Kit

20.2 MP Full-Frame CMOS Sensor DSLR and EF24-105mm f4L IS USM Lens
11 Point AF points, 63-zone Dual-Level Metering Sensor
Canon iMAGE GATEWAY to Share and Upload Photos Anyhwere on iOS or Android Devices with Free EOS Remote Application
Built-in GPS Receiver and Wi-Fi Transmitter
Memory Cards: SD?SDHS/SDXC, and Ultra High-Speed (UHS-I) cards

dougpaw57 01-29-2013 11:07 AM

Your title says 2%, should be 3%.

intence01 01-29-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dougpaw57 (Post 57214692)
Your title says 2%, should be 3%.

Perhaps 3% from the Visa and 2% in Amazon rewards?

BH is the same price for those who get taxed by Amazon.

dougpaw57 01-29-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intence01 (Post 57214782)
Perhaps 3% from the Visa and 2% in Amazon rewards?

BH is the same price for those who get taxed by Amazon.

I missed that, I'm in CA so Amazon is no good.

intence01 01-29-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dougpaw57 (Post 57214848)
I missed that, I'm in CA so Amazon is no good.

Add it to your card to see the price:
BH Photo Canon 6D [bhphotovideo.com]

I should also point out that the 6D is lacking a few features, but some of them could be overlooked given the recent price drop:

AF is supposedly better than the 5D Mark II, but still very underwhelming as only the center point is of the more sensitive "cross-type". 11 AF Points total (BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT OF the 6D)

Single Memory Card Slot (no backup of your pictures, or the ability to shoot RAW to the first card and jpg to the 2nd)

Viewfinder is NOT 100%. I think around 97%.

No on-camera flash ... useful for fill or using as a master/commander

Crummier build quality/controls compared to the 5D series (either Mark II or III).

Having said all that, at $2449 for the kit, if you can sell the lens for $750 and factor in your cashback, you're probably looking at around $1650 for the camera. At that price the limitations aren't so bad.

flipper123 01-29-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intence01 (Post 57215058)
Add it to your card to see the price:
BH Photo Canon 6D [bhphotovideo.com]

I should also point out that the 6D is lacking a few features, but some of them could be overlooked given the recent price drop:

AF is supposedly better than the 5D Mark II, but still very underwhelming as only the center point is of the more sensitive "cross-type". 11 AF Points total (BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT OF the 6D)

Single Memory Card Slot (no backup of your pictures, or the ability to shoot RAW to the first card and jpg to the 2nd)

Viewfinder is NOT 100%. I think around 97%.

No on-camera flash ... useful for fill or using as a master/commander

Crummier build quality/controls compared to the 5D series (either Mark II or III).

Having said all that, at $2449 for the kit, if you can sell the lens for $750 and factor in your cashback, you're probably looking at around $1650 for the camera. At that price the limitations aren't so bad.

What you mean Crummier build quality/controls compared to the 5D series (either Mark II or III).?

I'm debating between the 5d mark ii vs the 6d....do you know which one have better weather seal?

GoEagles997 01-29-2013 11:42 AM

The 6D has more plastic parts to it as opposed to the Mark II/Mark III that has a lot more that magnesium alloy.

intence01 01-29-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canonikon (Post 57215608)
What you mean Crummier build quality/controls compared to the 5D series (either Mark II or III).?

I'm debating between the 5d mark ii vs the 6d....do you know which one have better weather seal?

Not sure on the weather sealing, but the overall build of the 5D II is better, although if you're spending upwards of 2K on a camera, just wait it out for a 5D III deal. All you're really getting with the 6D is the full frame sensor (and useless WiFi/GPS) over the T4i/60D/7D, and you end up with a crappier AF system vs. those APS-C cameras. Keep in mind that the 5D II is a 4-year old camera, so electronics / technology have improved since then.

The 6D is built closer to a 60D (although most of the body on the 6D is magnesium, except the top). The 5D2/5D3 have better build, more dedicated buttons, joystick for selecting AF points, glass screen for the display, larger display, etc. etc.

The 5D3 is arguably the best all-around camera until you're spending well over 5k. The 5D2 was legendary, the 6D was designed to meet budget requirements.

I suspect we're seeing so many 6D deals because sales must be putrid. If you have a nice collection of Canon lenses, then you probably want the 5D3 to take advantage of those lenses, if you have a 5D2, then 6D isn't really an upgrade. If you don't have many EF lenses, and don't want to spend the money of a 5D3, then other vendors are offering more features at the same price as the 6D. At the 6D's current price though, it seems like a good deal.

On the plus side, the 24-105mm f4L is a very capable walk-around lens, and very sharp if you have a good copy.

dt4ever 01-29-2013 12:59 PM

For those who said 6D get a crappier AF system, please enlighten me how "crappier" it actually is in real life shot (not by spec). Also, I don't see any built in flash on either 5D2 or 3. Comparing 6D to 60D, T4i or even 7D is a joke, you either never shoot on these camera or just completely specs bias.

GoatSaver 01-29-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intence01 (Post 57215950)
Not sure on the weather sealing, but the overall build of the 5D II is better, although if you're spending upwards of 2K on a camera, just wait it out for a 5D III deal. All you're really getting with the 6D is the full frame sensor (and useless WiFi/GPS) over the T4i/60D/7D, and you end up with a crappier AF system vs. those APS-C cameras. Keep in mind that the 5D II is a 4-year old camera, so electronics / technology have improved since then.

The 6D is built closer to a 60D (although most of the body on the 6D is magnesium, except the top). The 5D2/5D3 have better build, more dedicated buttons, joystick for selecting AF points, glass screen for the display, larger display, etc. etc.

The 5D3 is arguably the best all-around camera until you're spending well over 5k. The 5D2 was legendary, the 6D was designed to meet budget requirements.

I suspect we're seeing so many 6D deals because sales must be putrid. If you have a nice collection of Canon lenses, then you probably want the 5D3 to take advantage of those lenses, if you have a 5D2, then 6D isn't really an upgrade. If you don't have many EF lenses, and don't want to spend the money of a 5D3, then other vendors are offering more features at the same price as the 6D. At the 6D's current price though, it seems like a good deal.

On the plus side, the 24-105mm f4L is a very capable walk-around lens, and very sharp if you have a good copy.

I'm debating between 5D2 and 6D, 5D3 would be nice but not sure I can justify the cost. My leaning is towards the 6D, as it seems like greater sensitivity would be a plus. I've never dropped my camera, feel okay about the build quality, though not sure if I need Wifi/GPS either. Any strong arguments against the 6D in favor of the 5D2?

intence01 01-29-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dt4ever (Post 57218090)
For those who said 6D get a crappier AF system, please enlighten me how "crappier" it actually is in real life shot (not by spec). Also, I don't see any built in flash on either 5D2 or 3. Comparing 6D to 60D, T4i or even 7D is a joke, you either never shoot on these camera or just completely specs bias.

You're completely correct, the 6D AF system is great, 11 points are better than 61, and better than 19. 1 Cross-point is better is than 41, 19, and 9. In case you haven't figured it out, Canon severely crippled the 6D so that it wouldn't affect 5D3 sales. Nikon didn't have to do this since D600 and D800 are fundamentally different (granted there are other problems with the D600, it's not perfect either).

Read the reviews watch the videos, use the cameras. There is ONE SINGLE CROSS-POINT ON THE 6D.

Simple test, put on a fast prime, open up the aperture, now try and take a few sharp images. Only center point is going to focus 100% reliably (especially in dim light). Focus / recompose is a disaster with shallow DOF.

5D3 is pro-level, they're assuming you've probably got an external flash or lighting system. The 6D is NOT a pro-level body.

The biggest complaint users had with the 5D2 was the AF system. Canon did as little as possible to improve this on the 6D.

The 7D is a far better camera than the 6D in almost every way except for lacking a Full Frame sensor, and lacking WiFi/GPS (which purists wouldn't care about). Better AF, better build, better weather-sealing, faster frame rate ... you name it. All Canon had to do was throw a FF sensor in the 7D and they'd be selling like hotcakes. The 6D is underwhelming at best. Don't believe me, read reviews, talk to people who used a variety of cameras, and while they'll get blacklisted for writing/publishing overwhelmingly bad reviews, the 6D typically doesn't do all that well compared to its competition.

Again, even after having said all that, at $1650ish after selling the lens (or factoring in the lens price) it's a good deal. At $2100 it was a really bad joke.

preppyak 01-29-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoatSaver (Post 57219824)
Any strong arguments against the 6D in favor of the 5D2?

Well, there are a couple. First, the 5dII has generally been about $400 cheaper in deals, if not more. So, from a price perspective, you usually save cash. That's probably the strongest argument, especially if you don't have need for wifi or GPS. Likewise, if you do any video work, the 5d2 has magic lantern, the 6D does not.

But, beyond that, at worst you are basically getting a slightly improved model with the 6D. With the way Canon has been building their stuff lately, it'll last and repairs will be cheap, because they've taken a much smarter approach to things. In real world terms, I'm not sure you'd see a difference between the 5d2 and 6D unless you shoot a lot in really dark rooms

intence01 01-29-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoatSaver (Post 57219824)
I'm debating between 5D2 and 6D, 5D3 would be nice but not sure I can justify the cost. My leaning is towards the 6D, as it seems like greater sensitivity would be a plus. I've never dropped my camera, feel okay about the build quality, though not sure if I need Wifi/GPS either. Any strong arguments against the 6D in favor of the 5D2?

Between the two, today, at similar pricing I'd probably pick the 6D. The 5D2 is a better body, but 4-year old tech.

The 6D will work just fine, it's just so close spec-wise to the 5D2. The slightly better sensor, slightly better AF, and other features (WiFi, GPS, Digic 5) probably make up for it. I'd also think really hard about if I needed FF, and if so, I Canon was the way to go.

intence01 01-29-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by preppyak (Post 57219998)
Well, there are a couple. First, the 5dII has generally been about $400 cheaper in deals, if not more. So, from a price perspective, you usually save cash. That's probably the strongest argument, especially if you don't have need for wifi or GPS. Likewise, if you do any video work, the 5d2 has magic lantern, the 6D does not.

But, beyond that, at worst you are basically getting a slightly improved model with the 6D. With the way Canon has been building their stuff lately, it'll last and repairs will be cheap, because they've taken a much smarter approach to things. In real world terms, I'm not sure you'd see a difference between the 5d2 and 6D unless you shoot a lot in really dark rooms

Agreed, a $400 makes it harder to justify. That's $400 you could put towards lenses, which will have more impact IMO than 5D2 vs 6D.

dt4ever 01-29-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intence01 (Post 57219936)
You're completely correct, the 6D AF system is great, 11 points are better than 61, and better than 19. 1 Cross-point is better is than 41, 19, and 9. In case you haven't figured it out, Canon severely crippled the 6D so that it wouldn't affect 5D3 sales. Nikon didn't have to do this since D600 and D800 are fundamentally different (granted there are other problems with the D600, it's not perfect either).

Read the reviews watch the videos, use the cameras. There is ONE SINGLE CROSS-POINT ON THE 6D.

Simple test, put on a fast prime, open up the aperture, now try and take a few sharp images. Only center point is going to focus 100% reliably (especially in dim light). Focus / recompose is a disaster with shallow DOF.

5D3 is pro-level, they're assuming you've probably got an external flash or lighting system. The 6D is NOT a pro-level body.

The biggest complaint users had with the 5D2 was the AF system. Canon did as little as possible to improve this on the 6D.

And if you consider 5D3 is real pro body than what is 1Dx for? Extreme pro? On camera flash is a joke if you're talking pro.

The 7D is a far better camera than the 6D in almost every way except for lacking a Full Frame sensor, and lacking WiFi/GPS (which purists wouldn't care about). Better AF, better build, better weather-sealing, faster frame rate ... you name it. All Canon had to do was throw a FF sensor in the 7D and they'd be selling like hotcakes. The 6D is underwhelming at best. Don't believe me, read reviews, talk to people who used a variety of cameras, and while they'll get blacklisted for writing/publishing overwhelmingly bad reviews, the 6D typically doesn't do all that well compared to its competition.

Again, even after having said all that, at $1650ish after selling the lens (or factoring in the lens price) it's a good deal. At $2100 it was a really bad joke.

Why you keep on comparing 6D against 5D3? They're 2 different camera for different purpose, and they're a grand MSRP difference. I own 60D, 7D and 6D with 35 1.4 and 50 1.2 L. I tested all of them in extremely low light condition and honestly saying 6D smokes the other two in both AF (even at outer focus point) and high ISO performance. Everything you said is correct base on spec perception. Find me a reliable review or professional forums that prove 7D or 60D better than 6D than we talk.

It's funny when Canon "assumes" you already had external flash or lighting system when you buy only "pro" body. I bet Canon will appreciate such "sense of humor" feedback.

Also, if you consider 5D3 real "pro" body than what is 1Dx for? Extreme pro? Btw, you can have 6D for less than $1899 anytime now from reputable merchants.

GoatSaver 01-29-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intence01 (Post 57220264)
Between the two, today, at similar pricing I'd probably pick the 6D. The 5D2 is a better body, but 4-year old tech.

The 6D will work just fine, it's just so close spec-wise to the 5D2. The slightly better sensor, slightly better AF, and other features (WiFi, GPS, Digic 5) probably make up for it. I'd also think really hard about if I needed FF, and if so, I Canon was the way to go.

I already have a couple EF lenses, nothing stellar but a nice place to start, my main complaint about the 20D I'm still rocking is noise in low-light. I enjoy nature photography, landscapes, panoramas, longer exposures at night, close-up animal/plant. The real problem is that I'm on such an old camera that it's hard to get a sense for how much better the low-light focus is on the 6D than the 5D2, guessing they both blow away the 20D.

dt4ever 01-29-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoatSaver (Post 57220508)
I already have a couple EF lenses, nothing stellar but a nice place to start, my main complaint about the 20D I'm still rocking is noise in low-light. I enjoy nature photography, landscapes, panoramas, longer exposures at night, close-up animal/plant. The real problem is that I'm on such an old camera that it's hard to get a sense for how much better the low-light focus is on the 6D than the 5D2, guessing they both blow away the 20D.

Get the 6D, you won't be disappointed with high ISO performance. 5D2 is a fantastic camera but it's 4 years old. I've been shooting with 6D at ISO 12K+ with very little noise. About the AF, i doubt if you will ever use more than center point, but outer point AF on 6D never miss on me in low light especially in AI SERVO mode. I can pm you sample if interested.

intence01 01-29-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

I was under the impression that the 5D2 was based on the 20D but I could be wrong. With current pricing, the 6D seems decent, especially the kit price (if you're planning on selling or keeping the 24-105)

intence01 01-29-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dt4ever (Post 57220308)
Why you keep on comparing 6D against 5D3? They're 2 different camera for different purpose, and they're a grand MSRP difference. I own 60D, 7D and 6D with 35 1.4 and 50 1.2 L. I tested all of them in extremely low light condition and honestly saying 6D smokes the other two in both AF (even at outer focus point) and high ISO performance. Everything you said is correct base on spec perception. Find me a reliable review or professional forums that prove 7D or 60D better than 6D than we talk.

It's funny when Canon "assumes" you already had external flash or lighting system when you buy only "pro" body. I bet Canon will appreciate such "sense of humor" feedback.

Also, if you consider 5D3 real "pro" body than what is 1Dx for? Extreme pro? Btw, you can have 6D for less than $1899 anytime now from reputable merchants.

That's my point, i'm not saying the 6D is terrible, just that it's overpriced at $2100, hence all the "sales". It's unlikely that it will sell routinely at $2100.

The 6D really is better than the 7D in AF? Even with fast moving subjects? I'd like to do some serious testing, since i'd find that surprising, but also would make the 6D much more compelling.

GoatSaver 01-29-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dt4ever (Post 57220686)
Get the 6D, you won't be disappointed with high ISO performance. 5D2 is a fantastic camera but it's 4 years old. I've been shooting with 6D at ISO 12K+ with very little noise. About the AF, i doubt if you will ever use more than center point, but outer point AF on 6D never miss on me in low light especially in AI SERVO mode. I can pm you sample if interested.

I'm pretty well in the habit of center-point focusing and re-framing anyway, but guessing all aspects are still a far jump from the 20D. Seems like there's a pretty solid argument for the 6D if you don't want to spend for the 5D3. I need to look into the Magic Lantern thing more, I'm excited about video capabilities on my upgrade, but not planning anything too exciting.

dt4ever 01-29-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intence01 (Post 57221586)
That's my point, i'm not saying the 6D is terrible, just that it's overpriced at $2100, hence all the "sales". It's unlikely that it will sell routinely at $2100.

The 6D really is better than the 7D in AF? Even with fast moving subjects? I'd like to do some serious testing, since i'd find that surprising, but also would make the 6D much more compelling.

Yes, I have been chasing after my kids with 7D in door at high ISO with lots of noise. When I got the 6D to replace the 7D, I was so amazed how well the center and outer points AF perform. I probably miss 1 or 2 out of 10 shots with outer point AF. Not saying 7D is bad either, it's just those cameras are designed for different purposes. I'm not a pro by any mean, but I try my best not to judge thing base on spec perception and limited research.

dt4ever 01-29-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoatSaver (Post 57221744)
I'm pretty well in the habit of center-point focusing and re-framing anyway, but guessing all aspects are still a far jump from the 20D. Seems like there's a pretty solid argument for the 6D if you don't want to spend for the 5D3. I need to look into the Magic Lantern thing more, I'm excited about video capabilities on my upgrade, but not planning anything too exciting.

Trust me, it will feel like jumping on a 400hp M3 from a Civic or Corolla. I might be over exaggerated, but i bet that how you will feel with a 6D.

flipper123 01-29-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intence01 (Post 57215950)

I have both the 5d Mark ii and 6D in hand and I am debating which one to sell for $1600 on craigslist. Let's say money is not an issue and both would be sold at the same price (matter in fact I just sold one today for $1600 on craigslist from the FRYS deal last week bought a few from that deal)

So let's say you have both the 5dmkii and 6d and need to sell one both at the same price. Which one would you keep?

5dmkii is a 4 year old cam...but it's discontinued so the value might be higher...the 6D, the prices keeps dropping which scares me. I don't want it to be worth $1300 6 months from now and the 5d mark ii is still strong at $1600 cause of it's discontinuation.

I'm more into value/depreciation over IQ person since I buy and sell a lot. Every time I sell a camera it's sold higher than what I originally paid for it and I can keep upgrading without paying a penny for depreciation.

decisions, decisions....

batotman 01-29-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

That's ghastly. A T4i (hell a T2i) will destroy the 20D in low light. 20D was good for it's time (2004) and awhile after. And it's still good enough for stuff with lower ISO and 8MP and under. Though, there's been some pretty good advances in DSLR tech since then.

batotman 01-29-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canonikon (Post 57221980)
I have both the 5d Mark ii and 6D in hand and I am debating which one to sell for $1600 on craigslist. Let's say money is not an issue and both would be sold at the same price (matter in fact I just sold one today for $1600 on craigslist from the FRYS deal last week bought a few from that deal)

So let's say you have both the 5dmkii and 6d and need to sell one both at the same price. Which one would you keep?

5dmkii is a 4 year old cam...but it's discontinued so the value might be higher...the 6D, the prices keeps dropping which scares me. I don't want it to be worth $1300 6 months from now and the 5d mark ii is still strong at $1600 cause of it's discontinuation.

I'm more into value/depreciation over IQ person since I buy and sell a lot. Every time I sell a camera it's sold higher than what I originally paid for it and I can keep upgrading without paying a penny for depreciation.

decisions, decisions....

Anyone who thinks the 6D body will be below $1500 in a year is smoking crack or deluded. End of story.

dt4ever 01-29-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

decisions, decisions....

Sell the 6D for $1600 and keep the 5D2. Someone will love you for such sweet deal on a 6D. And only God know how long, but you will make a "fortune" on the 5D2 as a discontinue antique piece of dated camera :lol:.

Omg I have had so much laughing in one day already.

tramposo 01-29-2013 04:02 PM

6D real world autofcus tracking test: http://photography-on-the.net/for...?t=1258444

Canon EOS 6D DSLR Review and Field Test: http://www.slrlounge.com/canon-eo...y-dslr-yet

Misc links:
http://photography-on-the.net/for...tcount=966

intence01 01-29-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batotman (Post 57222304)
Anyone who thinks the 6D body will be below $1500 in a year is smoking crack or deluded. End of story.

Ummm, take the 2% credit and sell the lens and you're $1650 bud. $1500 is not a stretch by any means. I'm thinking we'll see $1500 well before the end of the year.

intence01 01-29-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tramposo (Post 57222964)
6D real world autofcus tracking test: http://photography-on-the.net/for...?t=1258444

Canon EOS 6D DSLR Review and Field Test: http://www.slrlounge.com/canon-eo...y-dslr-yet

Misc links:

Did you actually read those? They both talk about how great the center point is, we know that already, nobody's debating that. The AF test was done using the center point ONLY. The bird shot even mentions that it was against a bright background.

The problem is that you have one really good AF point, and that's it. 7D has 19 of them. What are you going to do when you don't want your subject in the center of the frame?

intence01 01-29-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

decisions, decisions....

Hard to say, as the 6D will remain current, while the 5D2 will be an older model. Magic Lantern users + Pros who want the superior build will choose the 5D2, people wanting a newer camera will go for the 6D. Not sure what to tell, it depends if these deals continue or not, or if Canon decides to keep the price firm after the end of Jan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dt4ever (Post 57222418)
Sell the 6D for $1600 and keep the 5D2. Someone will love you for such sweet deal on a 6D. And only God know how long, but you will make a "fortune" on the 5D2 as a discontinue antique piece of dated camera :lol:.

Why would I buy his camera for $1600, I can jump on the kit, sell the lens for $750, take my amazon/bh credit, and i'm at $1650 for a new one w/warranty.

dt4ever 01-29-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intence01 (Post 57223452)
Hard to say, as the 6D will remain current, while the 5D2 will be an older model. Magic Lantern users + Pros who want the superior build will choose the 5D2, people wanting a newer camera will go for the 6D. Not sure what to tell, it depends if these deals continue or not, or if Canon decides to keep the price firm after the end of Jan.

Why would I buy his camera for $1600, I can jump on the kit, sell the lens for $750, take my amazon/bh credit, and i'm at $1650 for a new one w/warranty.

You're "assuming" again. Not everyone can sell the lens for$750. The craigslist here in Atlanta is flooded with these kit lenses. One more thing, not everyone on craigslist is on SD, same for eBay. I bet if I throw my 6d body only for $1600 on craigslist, my phone will be on "fire"....

AkumaX 01-29-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

decisions, decisions....

if i had a choice between a 5d2 and 6d for the same price, i'd go for 6d hands down

--

5d2's prices are already down. if i could sell my 5d2 for 1600 i would, and get a 6d for 1600

eurojams 01-29-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batotman (Post 57222304)

I think 1 more year, 6D will be about $1500, DSLR bodies seem price drop pretty fast.

Just look at 5D3 when it came out around March 2012, original price was $3500, now it's below $3000, so I guess 6D will be much lower in a year.

emmarosemc 01-29-2013 06:04 PM

I got it last time there was a deal have since used it for the U20 hockey world championships in serbia with a non hockey lens (100mm macro) and I really cant complain. The AF kept up, some had completely missed focus but its hockey... I am definitely impressed with this one. Coming from a 5d classic its insane how much you can push the settings and still get results

flipper123 01-29-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dt4ever (Post 57222418)

Going for $1800 street price, I already sold 2 from the buydig deal. I mean I could either keep the 6D for $1500 out of pocket or sell it and make $300 and keep the 5D Mark II....can't decide...

Quote:

Originally Posted by tramposo (Post 57222964)

Misc links:

SWEEEET repped

raacerx 01-29-2013 08:41 PM

The 6D destroys the MKII in almost everything, especially focal points and low light.

It's even better than a 5D MKIII in some situations, although the 5D is still better in others. The fact that a $1800 camera can beat a $3000 camera in some situations is pretty amazing to me.

Add in the gadgets like the wifi and gps, and you've got a winner for someone like myself. I couldn't be happier with my new 6D.

In the end, 6D or 5D or whatever won't matter if you're shooting through some shitty glass, which is what most people end up doing anyways.

batotman 01-29-2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intence01 (Post 57223224)
Ummm, take the 2% credit and sell the lens and you're $1650 bud. $1500 is not a stretch by any means. I'm thinking we'll see $1500 well before the end of the year.

It came out at $2099. And if there's a 7D Mk II coming soon they're not going to be selling for more than a full frame. Plus factor in the rumored 70D. Wouldn't make any sense to tier them that way.

And don't forget $70 in fees if selling in eBay. Or 100 offers for used speakers and possibly getting stabbed on Craigslist. :lmao:

batotman 01-29-2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eurojams (Post 57224212)
I think 1 more year, 6D will be about $1500, DSLR bodies seem price drop pretty fast.

Just look at 5D3 when it came out around March 2012, original price was $3500, now it's below $3000, so I guess 6D will be much lower in a year.

Using the same percentage, it would put the 6D body at $1800 after a year.

5D Mk II was $2699 upon release in September 2008. It didn't drop below $2300 until 4 years later (when the 6D showed up to replace that price point).

They inflate prices on the early adopters then they settle until the successor is released. It's always been that way.

intence01 01-29-2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batotman (Post 57231720)
It came out at $2099. And if there's a 7D Mk II coming soon they're not going to be selling for more than a full frame. Plus factor in the rumored 70D. Wouldn't make any sense to tier them that way.

And don't forget $70 in fees if selling in eBay. Or 100 offers for used speakers and possibly getting stabbed on Craigslist. :lmao:

Yeah, I agree with the Craigslist / eBay part, not to mention the scam artists. Especially on a $750+ item.

I don't know how they're going to position it, since the 7D2 will have to bring *something* to the party. There's no way Canon will release it with the same 18MP sensor (well they might, but that would suck). Assuming they release it with something comparable to the Sony sensors, then I can see it selling for $2k for sports/bird shooters. They'd want the reach of a crop anyway, and the higher FPS, better AF, weather-sealing etc. would be necessary for them, since the next step up would be the 5D3. There's always that nagging rumor that Canon might bring back APS-H but I doubt it. I guess we'll see when the 7D2 comes out. They could price it exactly the same at the 6D, where with the 6D you get a decent studio camera, and with the 7D you get a sports camera but sacrifice the sensor.

intence01 01-29-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batotman (Post 57231886)
Using the same percentage, it would put the 6D body at $1800 after a year.

5D Mk II was $2699 upon release in September 2008. It didn't drop below $2300 until 4 years later (when the 6D showed up to replace that price point).

They inflate prices on the early adopters then they settle until the successor is released. It's always been that way.

It also depends on what Nikon's released at the same time. 5D MKII held its price since D700 wasn't as well received. At its price point, there was no reason to choose anything other than the 5D2, until you spent much much more. The 60D took a price hit since the D7000 was arguably better in that class. This time around, the D800 was released at $3k MSRP with only a recent price drop to $2800, with the D800 changing the game for landscape and medium format shooters who can now get an amazing camera for around $3k. The 5D3 was already in trouble coming out the door at $3500, so they had no choice but to cut prices quickly. In fact aftermarket/street prices on the 5D3 were better BEFORE the 6D was released. Same story with the D600, it's arguably better than the 6D (if you don't mind spots), with the D600 holding steady (except for the 2 week promo by Nikon) and the 6D getting cut to $1900 already.

IMO Canon prices will drop faster in this round since Nikon's offerings are competitive. If Canon finally brings out a new family of sensors based on better production technology, then they may dominate the next round, and their prices will hold firm while Nikon is forced to drop theirs.