Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Hot Deals (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   NETGEAR NTV300SL NeoTV Max Streaming Player $60 (http://slickdeals.net/f/5831196-netgear-ntv300sl-neotv-max-streaming-player-60)

Selma 01-31-2013 02:28 AM

NETGEAR NTV300SL NeoTV Max Streaming Player $60

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/netge...64143.html

wikipost 01-31-2013 02:28 AM

This post can and should be edited by users like you :)

Method for rooting the earlier NTV300 model:
http://www.devttys0.com/2012/10/j...the-neotv/

Brooklynite 02-10-2013 02:25 PM

I got the Roku 2 XS and absolutely don't line or because I doesnt play most mkv files and doesnt read from my 2TB NAS nor shared folders from PCs. Does this one have the same handicaps? Looking for a deal on WDTV but can't find one.

It's the same price asset Target by the way for those who have the red card even cheaper a few bucks.

pocketchange 02-10-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooklynite (Post 57491944)
I got the Roku 2 XS and absolutely don't line or because I doesnt play most mkv files and doesnt read from my 2TB NAS nor shared folders from PCs. Does this one have the same handicaps? Looking for a deal on WDTV but can't find one.

It's the same price asset Target by the way for those who have the red card even cheaper a few bucks.

Either buy the WDTV or wait for a deal, it is worth it...

NotReal 02-10-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

I got the Roku 2 XS and absolutely don't line or because I doesnt play most mkv files and doesnt read from my 2TB NAS nor shared folders from PCs.

Try PLEX. Your ROKU will work very well with it, .mkv files and all

Brooklynite 02-10-2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotReal (Post 57492290)
Try PLEX. Your ROKU will work very well with it, .mkv files and all

No it doesnt. Dont even get me started on credit card begging ROKU, it sucks. I am so pissed that I used my $50 off $100 Mastercard deal for BB on that.

PLEX, while is good for low quality DIVX files from 2006 that no longer are in use, is extremely slow on the files I have (2GB avg, 720p and 1080p), requires a PC running, doesnt read directly from NAS or shared folders (doesnt have Microsoft's SMB or Samba which is probably 10x faster than media sharing "servers").

Plex doesnt read over half my MKV files and in fact ignores them (doesnt tell me half of my files are missing from its list). It does a cool thing of bringing in JPG images of my video files, kudos for that but whats the point, I cant watch the movies lol). Some MP4 and h.264 files also are missing after its hours long media searching and indexing. When I add a file I have to open PLEX and hit refresh and wait for it to search and index again not knowing it will be ignored or added. PLEX also ignores FOLDER structure, its good for newbies who have a few video files, but for me with tons of files and folders which are structured (one season in one folder for example) having all the files mixed up in one list is just plain idiotic.

I dont ever understand why I need a PC running to read my files off a network with some sort of a media server. I could easily and instantly open a file from a network location back in 1994 with zero effort. My WDTV opens video files directly from NAS or shared folders on my network.

nrq007 02-10-2013 11:29 PM

Quote:

Try to find a GoogleTV. I'm using an old Logitech Revue and it handles all type of files either using Logitech Media Player apps or Avia Player (FREE). I stream my files from my 3TB Seagate NAS drive via UPNP / DLNA.

NotReal 02-10-2013 11:34 PM

Well, I can only speak from my own experience. I currently own several WDTV devices, two Logitech Revues and the one ROKU 2 XS - which is by far the best for what I want to use it for

I have about 10 TB's of .mkv files, the majority of which are in the 6 to 8 GB range (1080p) that play flawlessly. My TV shows work fine with one season per folder. (You have to actually follow the instructions and use their naming convection, but that is pretty standard S01E05, etc....) Plex auto updates the library every hour or immediately if it detects new media. Enter your credit card and then delete it - no big deal

Use your WDTV - and what do you get a directory listing? I will stick with PLEX with the cover art, ratings, description, the ability to stream to my cell phone (over 3g) or to my tablet AND share my library with my friends and family...

ps - even the WDTV works better with PLEX