Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Deal Talk (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Canon PowerShot ELPH 530 HS 10MP 12x Optical WiFi 3.2" Touch LCD Digital Camera w/ 1080p HD Video (White) $140 + Free Shipping (http://slickdeals.net/f/5834116-canon-powershot-elph-530-hs-10mp-12x-optical-wifi-3-2-touch-lcd-digital-camera-w-1080p-hd-video-white-140-free-shipping)

iconian 02-01-2013 10:09 AM

Canon PowerShot ELPH 530 HS 10MP 12x Optical WiFi 3.2" Touch LCD Digital Camera w/ 1080p HD Video (White) $140 + Free Shipping
 
1 Attachment(s)
Pretty hot price :)$140 + free shipping

brisar 02-01-2013 10:09 AM

Canon PowerShot ELPH 530 HS 10MP 12x Optical WiFi 3.2" Touch LCD Digital Camera w/ 1080p HD Video (White) $140 + Free Shipping
 
2 Attachment(s)
Update: Black model is back in stock.

Adorama.com has Canon PowerShot ELPH 530 HS 10MP 12x Optical WiFi 3.2" Touch LCD Digital Camera w/ 1080p HD Video for $140 with free shipping. Thanks iconian

Price Research: Our research indicates that Canon PowerShot ELPH 530 HS 10MP Digital Camera is $59 lower (30% savings) than the next best available price from a reputable merchant with prices ranging from $199 to $400. - yuugotserved

Hands on review courtesy of Engadget

gabe23111 02-01-2013 11:03 AM

This is an excellent price.

I don't remember seeing this go below $180. And even that is a rare low price for this.

Iconian... you sir are on fire with these photography threads :cool:

JMUFly 02-01-2013 11:08 AM

Somewhat middling reviews on amazon. [amazon.com] Not a ton of reviews yet. Great price though.

gabe23111 02-01-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMUFly (Post 57296512)
Somewhat middling reviews on amazon. [amazon.com] Not a ton of reviews yet. Great price though.

It's currently $200 on Amazon which is the lowest it's been there. Most of the reviewers paid significantly more than that for this camera.

Whenever I see reviews from people who paid a lot more than what I would pay I take it with a grain of salt. When you pay more you also expect more.

I'll give you an example... I was looking for a tripod the other day and reviews of a $20 tripod [amazon.com]were rated higher than the ones I saw at $100+. That doesn't make the $20 tripod better than the $100 dollar one.

I would imagine that if some of these reviewers paid significantly less than what they did then the reviews may be different.

Worse comes to worse if you're not happy with it you can flip it on eBay. Used ones sold for $150.

Not arguing with your point... just thinking out loud :lol:

passthebeernuts 02-01-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabe23111 (Post 57297182)
It's currently $200 on Amazon which is the lowest it's been there. Most of the reviewers paid significantly more than that for this camera.

Whenever I see reviews from people who paid a lot more than what I would pay I take it with a grain of salt. When you pay more you also expect more.

I'll give you an example... I was looking for a tripod the other day and reviews of a $20 tripod [amazon.com]were rated higher than the ones I saw at $100+. That doesn't make the $20 tripod better than the $100 dollar one.

I would imagine that if some of these reviewers paid significantly less than what they did then the reviews may be different.

Worse comes to worse if you're not happy with it you can flip it on eBay. Used ones sold for $150.

Not arguing with your point... just thinking out loud :lol:

Excellent points on price paid vs. expectations.

Great price for this. The previous cheapest price I've seen was when Amazon had both black and white for $169 lightning deal 12/19, but I think that lasted only a few minutes if memory serves. Amazon's regular price was $230 until a few days ago when it dropped to $200. The price seems to be trending down on this model, but I doubt it will go any lower than this.

iconian 02-01-2013 11:56 AM

I think this camera has some elements which set it apart form others.

Not always you will have wifi, touchscreen, cmos, 1080p video for $140. Generally you will have 1 of those elements.

travfar 02-01-2013 11:58 AM

If you don't need the WiFi, the 520HS is $88 at Sears B&M.

travfar 02-01-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabe23111 (Post 57297182)
It's currently $200 on Amazon which is the lowest it's been there. Most of the reviewers paid significantly more than that for this camera.

Whenever I see reviews from people who paid a lot more than what I would pay I take it with a grain of salt. When you pay more you also expect more.

I'll give you an example... I was looking for a tripod the other day and reviews of a $20 tripod [amazon.com]were rated higher than the ones I saw at $100+. That doesn't make the $20 tripod better than the $100 dollar one.

I would imagine that if some of these reviewers paid significantly less than what they did then the reviews may be different.

Worse comes to worse if you're not happy with it you can flip it on eBay. Used ones sold for $150.

Not arguing with your point... just thinking out loud :lol:

Here's the problem with the 520/530HS. It has a 16MP sensor where they only use the center 10MP. So effectively, the sensor is even smaller than a 1/2.3" sensor used in most P&S cameras. It's like a 1/3.68" sensor. That's like cell phone size. They had to crop the 16MP sensor dow to 10MP to get the level of zoom.

gabe23111 02-01-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travfar (Post 57298126)
If you don't need the WiFi, the 520HS is $88 at Sears B&M.

Not sure why you post this in every "Elph" thread when most can't get in on it.

You also forgot to post the link you usually post in other peoples threads:

http://slickdeals.net/f/5795946-Canon-SX150is-camera-for-50-at-Sears-B-M-Canon-520HS-for-88 (doesn't look like too many people were successful)

This is out of character for me to make a post like this, but it's enough already :threadj:

geniv 02-01-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travfar (Post 57298208)
Here's the problem with the 520/530HS. It has a 16MP sensor where they only use the center 10MP. So effectively, the sensor is even smaller than a 1/2.3" sensor used in most P&S cameras. It's like a 1/3.68" sensor. That's like cell phone size. They had to crop the 16MP sensor dow to 10MP to get the level of zoom.

are you sure it's "CROP" instead of "Down sample/scaled" ?

reason is that if you take 16mp optically and scale it down in resolution to 10mp it will it will offer better image quality (assumming they use decent scaling algorithms) than just a "crop" of a 16mp pixel picture.

if it is the case of a crop then it's a retartded system.

dizzie 02-01-2013 12:34 PM

only 24fps @ 1080p kills deal :)

Just kidding, great camera!

fatbb 02-01-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geniv (Post 57298994)
are you sure it's "CROP" instead of "Down sample/scaled" ?

reason is that if you take 16mp optically and scale it down in resolution to 10mp it will it will offer better image quality (assumming they use decent scaling algorithms) than just a "crop" of a 16mp pixel picture.

if it is the case of a crop then it's a retartded system.


Trust travfar, he know betta than Canon on what make picture look good and not retartded :lmao:

izx 02-01-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geniv (Post 57298994)
are you sure it's "CROP" instead of "Down sample/scaled" ?

if it is the case of a crop then it's a retartded system.

It's a crop (center 10mp area from 16mp sensor). Canon's shareholders probably love it - another way of product differentiation using the same sensor.

All in all, this is a decent, compact snapshot camera with the buzzword bells and whistles for people who've only used snapshot cameras. If you've shot higher-end compacts or DSLRs, the image quality (noisy...) will keep nagging at you.

travfar 02-01-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabe23111 (Post 57298340)
Not sure why you post this in every "Elph" thread when most can't get in on it.

You also forgot to post the link you usually post in other peoples threads:

http://slickdeals.net/f/5795946-Canon-SX150is-camera-for-50-at-Sears-B-M-Canon-520HS-for-88 (doesn't look like too many people were successful)

This is out of character for me to make a post like this, but it's enough already :threadj:

If you don't like it, put me on your ignore list. Just like I'm putting you on mine in about 2 seconds. :nono2:

travfar 02-01-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geniv (Post 57298994)
are you sure it's "CROP" instead of "Down sample/scaled" ?

reason is that if you take 16mp optically and scale it down in resolution to 10mp it will it will offer better image quality (assumming they use decent scaling algorithms) than just a "crop" of a 16mp pixel picture.

if it is the case of a crop then it's a retartded system.

Just scaling it down from 16MP defeats the purpose of doing it at all. Why not just keep it at 16MP then? Cropping the central 10MP boosts the focal length of the lens.

fatbb 02-01-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geniv (Post 57298994)
are you sure it's "CROP" instead of "Down sample/scaled" ?

reason is that if you take 16mp optically and scale it down in resolution to 10mp it will it will offer better image quality (assumming they use decent scaling algorithms) than just a "crop" of a 16mp pixel picture.

if it is the case of a crop then it's a retartded system.

Quote:

Originally Posted by izx (Post 57299378)
It's a crop (center 10mp area from 16mp sensor). Canon's shareholders probably love it - another way of product differentiation using the same sensor.

All in all, this is a decent, compact snapshot camera with the buzzword bells and whistles for people who've only used snapshot cameras. If you've shot higher-end compacts or DSLRs, the image quality (noisy...) will keep nagging at you.


for 140 dolla don't holla so much.
it only crop a little like the RED area.
SLR type lighten my wallet, but weigh down my pocket on vacation.

http://digital-photography-school...ht-for-you

leomon 02-01-2013 08:03 PM

Sensor 1/3-inch CMOS

Really? This is really small. must be wrong information

Why this camera is so expensive?

izx 02-02-2013 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leomon (Post 57308672)
Sensor 1/3-inch CMOS

Really? This is really small. must be wrong information

Why this camera is so expensive?

Huh? Most compacts - even some that cost thrice as much - use a 1/2.7" sensor, this one is a little smaller at 1/3". For larger sensors you have to upgrade to the S100/110 series, or move on to mirrorless/SLRs (exception: Sony RX100 with a 1" sensor but that's $600+).

For its class, this camera is expensive because it's fairly compact and has wifi, touch screen, etc.

Yummyyyy 02-02-2013 01:45 AM

I see $219.00?
Maybe they increased the price

phedoblue 02-02-2013 02:10 AM

don't do it, sony wx50 for cheaper and better :)

brisar 02-02-2013 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yummyyyy (Post 57312216)
I see $219.00?
Maybe they increased the price

Looks like it's just the white one that is $140 now

Brooklynite 02-02-2013 02:49 AM

After seeing the Samsung Galaxy Camera, I have a feeling Canon and Nikon are going where the 8000lbs gorillas of mobile (Nokia, Erricson, Motorolla) went a few years ago. Touch screen alone doesnt help when people are used to a certain response when touching a screen from iOS and Android devices. Operating system also is a huge factor, Android vs some junk home made Canon that just gets the job done? incomparable.

mightywatcher 02-02-2013 02:52 AM

Thinking about jumping on this deal before it runs out.. Why should I buy this camera?

Wieland 02-02-2013 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by japanman24 (Post 57312500)
Thinking about jumping on this deal before it runs out.. Why should I buy this camera?

You really shouldn't. Picture quality on these is really poor. Not even in comparison to DSLRs and the like; an Elph 110 HS will perform much better. Canon cut too many corners to make a small camera with 12x zoom. So buy it only if you have to have the zoom and wifis and the touchscreen and the 1080p video in a camera this small, and you don't want to pay more than $140 for it.

slagman5 02-02-2013 04:48 AM

That's not a bad price for this camera, but honestly, you're paying for a lot of gimmicks. The Touchscreen and wifi are things that really you don't need, but end up paying more for. You can probably get another Canon camera with better photo performance but without those features for the same price or less...

pug_ster 02-02-2013 05:40 AM

Yeah touchscreen and wifi are gimmick features. Rather have a camera with a gps on it for geotagging.

Pizzahut 02-02-2013 06:17 AM

this deal is hot!!!

Hopefully I can wire-lessly sync with my comp.

umustwait101 02-02-2013 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travfar (Post 57299714)
Just scaling it down from 16MP defeats the purpose of doing it at all. Why not just keep it at 16MP then? Cropping the central 10MP boosts the focal length of the lens.

It probably is that the image quality at 16MP is unacceptable, so instead of 16MP, where each transistor translates to a pixel, they made it 10MP, where maybe the average of 6 transistors translates to a pixel, or something like that. Think of it like shooting an arrow at a target. Now, instead of relying on one arrow to hit the bulls eye of the most accurate color, you have 6 arrows that hopefully average out to the most accurate color.

Perhaps even if they used a 10MP sensor, they would only be able to use the central part (making it like 8MP or something) due to the constraints placed by the zoom.

CordaroyFog 02-02-2013 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phedoblue (Post 57312324)
don't do it, sony wx50 for cheaper and better :)

Uh huh, and it also have half the optical zoom...


I'm picking one up to pit against my 300 HS. I would love the much longer zoom, I really would.THE LOSER WILL BE SOLD!

atoneapone 02-02-2013 07:05 AM

When looking at image resource [imaging-resource.com] to see the image quality of the canon 530hs and 520hs, the 5xx hs line seem to have a slightly worse image quality than the 100/110 and 300/310/320 hs line of canon P&S. Images look more grainy and less sharp.

So when comparing to other canon P&S, I thought the higher the number the better, but this doesn't seem the case when comparing image quality .....

So I keep ignoring these 5xx deals and waiting for a very low priced deal on a Canon 3xx hs or the best comparably priced Sony P&S camera.

zstone303 02-02-2013 07:11 AM

My order status is "on hold" instead of "ready". Feel like they will cancel the order. price mistake or something?

leomon 02-02-2013 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by izx (Post 57311984)
Huh? Most compacts - even some that cost thrice as much - use a 1/2.7" sensor, this one is a little smaller at 1/3". For larger sensors you have to upgrade to the S100/110 series, or move on to mirrorless/SLRs (exception: Sony RX100 with a 1" sensor but that's $600+).

For its class, this camera is expensive because it's fairly compact and has wifi, touch screen, etc.


I saw most camera now day has 1/2.3 size.

Even my Nikon p50 from 4 - 5 years back has 1/2.5

Unless the density of CMOS change. may be what they call HD CMOS or SMOS?

But I confuse with the size now. size means nothing of CMOS quality at all. Most low end camera has 1/2.3 now.

evre1deal 02-02-2013 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travfar (Post 57299640)
Quote:

Originally Posted by gabe23111 (Post 57298340)
Not sure why you post this in every "Elph" thread when most can't get in on it.

You also forgot to post the link you usually post in other peoples threads:

http://slickdeals.net/f/5795946-Canon-SX150is-camera-for-50-at-Sears-B-M-Canon-520HS-for-88 (doesn't look like too many people were successful)

This is out of character for me to make a post like this, but it's enough already :threadj:

If you don't like it, put me on your ignore list. Just like I'm putting you on mine in about 2 seconds. :nono2:

I looked up at sears.com. 520HS is listed at $149.99. Did u find 520hs for $88 at sears store?

Michael-M 02-02-2013 07:56 AM

I'd hop on this, except for the fact that it takes some wonky battery. If my eneloops can't be loved by my camera, there's no point.

WeLikeIke 02-02-2013 08:27 AM

got one... thank you!

travfar 02-02-2013 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by umustwait101 (Post 57313640)
It probably is that the image quality at 16MP is unacceptable, so instead of 16MP, where each transistor translates to a pixel, they made it 10MP, where maybe the average of 6 transistors translates to a pixel, or something like that. Think of it like shooting an arrow at a target. Now, instead of relying on one arrow to hit the bulls eye of the most accurate color, you have 6 arrows that hopefully average out to the most accurate color.

Perhaps even if they used a 10MP sensor, they would only be able to use the central part (making it like 8MP or something) due to the constraints placed by the zoom.

What? No, they simply did it so they could make it a superzoom by cropping. That 16MP sensor is the same sensor they use on the other elphs where they use all 16MPs.

jeepingsurfing 02-02-2013 09:12 AM

Can't believe I have wasted money on buying mirrorless digital cameras... Wish I would of just bought the DSLR Camera at first. Now I ended up with 5d Mark III . It was a long journey.

travfar 02-02-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepingsurfing (Post 57316000)
Can't believe I have wasted money on buying mirrorless digital cameras... Wish I would of just bought the DSLR Camera at first. Now I ended up with 5d Mark III . It was a long journey.

The NEX revolution roars on.

"It would appear the full frame sensor is now rather pointless."

http://www.eoshd.com/content/9485...ull-review
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2...ones-magic

izzo 02-02-2013 11:41 AM

I really dislike touch screen in a point and shoot camera.
Only pros I am finding in this one are the wifi and zoom,
but even for that price I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole - this is one damn ugly camera!
Looks like a little brick!

Turbotalon 02-02-2013 12:47 PM

I'm thinking the "white" gets discolored easily and it's why they're selling them at clearance prices. That and touchscreen only isn't very popular, how do you hold that thing??

cgigate 02-02-2013 01:49 PM

who needs 10mp camera nowaday?

Crustan 02-02-2013 02:03 PM

To sum up my experience and what some other people have said:

For the price this might be a good deal, but this camera doesn't offer the best picture quality for its class, and is totally overpriced at its MSRP. The touchscreen and wifi aren't that great on this or any of the recent powershot elph cameras. The powershot elph series used to offer above average picture quailty in an easy to use and small form factor, while these cameras are still small and easy to use point and shoots, the picture quality in recent years has really gone downhill. Also keep in mind that most of the powershot elph models used to be made in Japan, now most of them are made in China or Malaysia. The best small canon to get right now is probably the S110, but it also costs quite a bit more than this camera.

CordaroyFog 02-02-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crustan (Post 57321094)
To sum up my experience and what some other people have said:

For the price this might be a good deal, but this camera doesn't offer the best picture quality for its class, and is totally overpriced at its MSRP. The touchscreen and wifi aren't that great on this or any of the recent powershot elph cameras. The powershot elph series used to offer above average picture quailty in an easy to use and small form factor, while these cameras are still small and easy to use point and shoots, the picture quality in recent years has really gone downhill. Also keep in mind that most of the powershot elph models used to be made in Japan, now most of them are made in China or Malaysia. The best small canon to get right now is probably the S110, but it also costs quite a bit more than this camera.



Exactly MSRP is meaningless here. For the price the features are very good. The zoom alone is tremendous and reviews on unbiased sites say good picture quality. It's tiny and thats all I need. The touchscreen and the wifi are just add ons.

joew 02-02-2013 02:47 PM

can someone recommend a decent compact camera that i can put it in my denim pocket. i don't need gps, wifi or touch screen.

joew 02-02-2013 03:01 PM

does not seem to be compact camera though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by phedoblue (Post 57312324)
don't do it, sony wx50 for cheaper and better :)


boosterjm 02-02-2013 03:48 PM

Guys I bought samsung st201 for 69 at walmart.com deal (was fp on sd). I haven't opened the box yet. Other than 1080p vs 720p is there any substantial diff in pic quality? I don't care at all about wifi and touchscreen. Thanks

phedoblue 02-02-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joew (Post 57321984)
does not seem to be compact camera though.


how is the wx50 not compact, I have it right now :) , $108, brand new on amazon

HexiumVII 02-02-2013 05:18 PM

Hows the Wifi on this? I have an EyeFi and its slow, spotty, terrible altogether. I do a lot of ebay and would love something that can upload my pics fast to my pc to review them.

timothyjay 02-02-2013 06:06 PM

Got one thanks! Been meaning to find a replacement to my missing SD1400! If its any good as my old one, I'll be happy.

JJLL 02-04-2013 09:45 AM

price back to $219... i wonder if this was a price mistake or not...

jpham 02-04-2013 10:15 AM

I also see price of both black and white as $219. Dead?

UPDATE: refreshed a couple of times and now price shows $140. Thanks!

gabe23111 02-04-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJLL (Post 57354714)
price back to $219... i wonder if this was a price mistake or not...

I don't think it is. Adorama is a big enough company that they wouldn't let it go on for 3 days after hitting SD's FP. I also received shipping confirmation from my Friday order (even though Adorama has honored a price mistake for me before)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpham (Post 57355662)
I also see price of both black and white as $219. Dead?

I'm seeing $140 on the black...white is at $219

JJLL 02-04-2013 03:14 PM

saw this at Frys over the weekend... it's a very nice looking camera. I guess we'll see about the quality/UI when it gets here...

ashesoftime 02-04-2013 08:12 PM

Thank you! I have $35 gift certificate which expires tomorrow.. used it before it is gone.

CordaroyFog 02-07-2013 09:14 AM

Just got mine in the mail, so awesome!

I don't know what everyone is complaining about in these threads.
The photos looks great, the zoom is unbelievable! This blow my HS 300 out of the water!

thedreamer2 02-11-2013 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CordaroyFog (Post 57429512)
Just got mine in the mail, so awesome!

I don't know what everyone is complaining about in these threads.
The photos looks great, the zoom is unbelievable! This blow my HS 300 out of the water!

Thanks for the update. I had not opened mine thinking if I should just return the package after reading the mostly negative comments/Amazon reviews on this one.
Now I will go ahead and check it out though I do not need another camera. Like so often, slickdeals makes me get stuff that I do not need.

I have a 320HS which is ok (touchscreen). I liked the Powershot ELPHI 300HS better which I gave out as a gift.
Probably it's time to gift out/retire the 320HS too.

CordaroyFog 02-11-2013 05:07 AM

Yea the touchscreen isn't the best but its usable and I havent nor will I bother with the Wifi, but the zoom. oh my, amazing.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:05 PM.


1999-2014