Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Gamer's Lounge (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Official Dead Space 3 thread (http://slickdeals.net/f/5837752-official-dead-space-3-thread)

AmAngel 02-03-2013 05:26 PM

Official Dead Space 3 thread
 
Dead Space 3 is being released soon! Who is getting it?

Here's the trailer:
http://youtu.be/vWSLV3VeTDg

Both are download purchases, so you won't get a case/cd!
Directgamecards.com [directgamecards.com]- got my pre-order here @ $36 (use gamecard5off as coupon)
Amazon [amazon.com]- link for amazon @ $59.99

Looks badass, I haven't played the previous Dead Space releases, so I'm not sure what to expect. But I've always been a fan of those games where you walk around in a dark and almost claustrophic area to have monsters popping up everywhere around you. What are your thoughts? Co-op mode is going to be badass!

johny3 02-03-2013 06:42 PM

I was not impressed with the demo on xbox but it was probably more the controls and I bet if I gave it more time I would like it more.

AmAngel 02-03-2013 07:10 PM

Ah, did you play any of the previous releases?

Pedantyc 02-03-2013 10:00 PM

The first one had such bad controls I couldn't finish it. The second one just turned into a shooter but a decent shooter. I imagine that this game will be another shooter with extra gore thrown in.

Nikzilla90 02-03-2013 10:07 PM

I tried the demo and it looked better than I last remembered seeing, but it's just another sequel-evolution and not a revolution like the first one was (continuation revolutions are possible, see: Halo:CE and Halo 2).

I wish they just remastered the first one; by making Isaac Clarc talk and replace the "moonboots" zero-G with the new zero-G controls + some more scares and an endless horde mode (the only multiplayer that everyone wants in DS). The Marker plot isn't believable enough to base an entire franchise on.

http://www.mhvt.net/quicktime/eng/de...aac_clarke.jpg
Rig 1 suit is still the best.

AmAngel 02-04-2013 09:58 AM

Man, now you guys just got my hopes down.. hopefully for the better because I might be expecting less, then it actually becomes decent. I just really miss good horror/scary shooters. Action shooters are just too prevalent these days..

koekiejj 02-04-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArchieAm (Post 57342508)
Dead Space 3 is being released soon! Who is getting it?

Here's the trailer:
http://youtu.be/vWSLV3VeTDg

Both are download purchases, so you won't get a case/cd!
Directgamecards.com [directgamecards.com]- got my pre-order here @ $40.79
Amazon [amazon.com]- link for amazon @ $59.99

Looks badass, I haven't played the previous Dead Space releases, so I'm not sure what to expect. But I've always been a fan of those games where you walk around in a dark and almost claustrophic area to have monsters popping up everywhere around you. What are your thoughts? Co-op mode is going to be badass!

I liked the first and second part. Decent action games, if somewhat over the top as far as the gore element goes.

The next part is supposed to be more of an action than horror game, which I actually prefere. Seeing the trailer this could very well be the best DS :bounce:

Just pre-ordered at the same place as you did. Thanks for the link, let me know what you think of the game when it comes out.

Pedantyc 02-04-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArchieAm (Post 57355106)
Man, now you guys just got my hopes down.. hopefully for the better because I might be expecting less, then it actually becomes decent. I just really miss good horror/scary shooters. Action shooters are just too prevalent these days..

I wouldn't worry too much, 2 was more actiony than the first but it was a good game. One major change was a main character with a personality. The first game had a faceless character who never spoke. The second game changed this up immediately by giving you a personality, a voice and a face to your main hero.

The only thing I hated about the second one was the addition of quick time events, which seem to be a court ordered requirement for games these days. If these were in the first game, I don't remember them.

If you cranked the difficulty, it certianly became a survival game. Ammo was scarce and each enemy jumping at you could mess you up badly. This added much more of a fear element to the game. On easy, you easily mow down everything you see without any thought to getting scared of anything. The harder modes have you constantly aware that you have only a few shots left while you constantly hear scratching all around you.

Mixmode 02-04-2013 11:36 AM

I wanted to play the DS games but remember the PC key bindings being really effed in the first one. I never tried the 2nd one though. Were they any better or could you edit them?

jbonez21 02-04-2013 11:37 AM

I completed 1 and 2 on PS3, I'll pick up Dead Space 3 when it is $10-$20.

Pedantyc 02-04-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mixmode (Post 57358128)
I wanted to play the DS games but remember the PC key bindings being really effed in the first one. I never tried the 2nd one though. Were they any better or could you edit them?


The second one was fine as far as I remember. The first one had huge issues with the mouse acceleration. Your mouse moved the guys head, but you had to jam it all the way over to make him turn. This had you moving the mouse all the way over, then whipping it back to re-aim. There was also that annoying thing where you defaulted to that slow and useless melee attack unless you held down another button while attacking. Then hit another button to get your weapon set in the correct mode.

Very broken, but they completely did away with that in the second one and gave you responsive controls which you didn't have to hold a mess of buttons to do simple things.

SkeezaPleez 02-04-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbonez21 (Post 57358194)
I completed 1 and 2 on PS3, I'll pick up Dead Space 3 when it is $10-$20.

I plan on ripping through the campaign on co-op and turning around and selling it for 40 or so in a couple weeks.

himeko123 02-04-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkeezaPleez (Post 57359486)
I plan on ripping through the campaign on co-op and turning around and selling it for 40 or so in a couple weeks.

Same plan, but it sucks that there is no local split-screen. I'm planning on borrowing my cousin's PS3 and buying 2 copies of Dead Space 3 to play co-op.

I still remember playing Dead Space 1 and getting stuck on the part where you need destroy asteroids and space debris with mounted turret. That part was too hard for me, so I just loaded a trainer for god mode to beat that part.

SkeezaPleez 02-04-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by himeko123 (Post 57361192)
Same plan, but it sucks that there is no local split-screen. I'm planning on borrowing my cousin's PS3 and buying 2 copies of Dead Space 3 to play co-op.

I still remember playing Dead Space 1 and getting stuck on the part where you need destroy asteroids and space debris with mounted turret. That part was too hard for me, so I just loaded a trainer for god mode to beat that part.

That part was tough for me as well but I eventually got through it.

johny3 02-04-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArchieAm (Post 57344236)
Ah, did you play any of the previous releases?

i think i played one of the previous games at a friends house or something. I tend to lean towards multiplayer TDM and objective game types of late so I will be playing crysis 3 instead

AmAngel 02-04-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedantyc (Post 57357368)
I wouldn't worry too much, 2 was more actiony than the first but it was a good game. One major change was a main character with a personality. The first game had a faceless character who never spoke. The second game changed this up immediately by giving you a personality, a voice and a face to your main hero.

The only thing I hated about the second one was the addition of quick time events, which seem to be a court ordered requirement for games these days. If these were in the first game, I don't remember them.

If you cranked the difficulty, it certianly became a survival game. Ammo was scarce and each enemy jumping at you could mess you up badly. This added much more of a fear element to the game. On easy, you easily mow down everything you see without any thought to getting scared of anything. The harder modes have you constantly aware that you have only a few shots left while you constantly hear scratching all around you.

Hearing what you said makes me really want to play the game now, games aren't balanced around easy mode anyway so this is all good. Lights off, hard mode on, oh boy, this will be awesome. Co-op mode seems to be a nice addition as well. Do you have any other games you can recommend with the same kind of play-style? Constantly having to be aware that some creep is popping up out of the nowhere, minding your ammo, stuff like that?

@johny3 - yeah, I had that time. For some reason I'm pretty tired of these shooters, well, they are fun for max an hour for me, after that it becomes really repetitive. I much rather go through campaigns or play RTS. But I'll definitely give Crysis 3 a shot, just looks too slick to not try it out.

DiarrheaRobusto 02-04-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArchieAm (Post 57364232)
Hearing what you said makes me really want to play the game now, games aren't balanced around easy mode anyway so this is all good. Lights off, hard mode on, oh boy, this will be awesome. Co-op mode seems to be a nice addition as well. Do you have any other games you can recommend with the same kind of play-style? Constantly having to be aware that some creep is popping up out of the nowhere, minding your ammo, stuff like that?

Metro 2033 falls into that category and its sequel is due out in a few months (although not near as much popping out of no where as the Dead Space series)

Pedantyc 02-04-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArchieAm (Post 57364232)
... Do you have any other games you can recommend with the same kind of play-style? Constantly having to be aware that some creep is popping up out of the nowhere, minding your ammo, stuff like that?...

Nothing really comes to mind for recent games. I certainly felt that way at then end of Uncharted 1. Otherwise, the indy game Amnesia was rather creepy, mostly due to you not having any ability to fight. Besides that, you have to go back to the days of Fatal Frame, Silent Hill, or a few of the other haunted-esk games. The game I Am Alive gives you the survival feel of bad choices and little supplies, but the game simply wasn't done well.

There just are not many games these days where you feel so underpowered and ill prepared. Many other shooters become difficult and ammo lacking when you crank the difficulty (Singularity comes to mind mostly due to me not figuring out how to use weapon lockers until halfway though the game) but you really don't get the forboding and dread in those games. Never had a game where something as simple as a door was out to kill me.

It may have to do with the fact that you start to really feel for the the poor guy (Isaac) after seeing him brutalized so many times.

Roland Deschain 02-05-2013 06:32 AM

I'm looking forward to playing this game as I really enjoyed the first two installments...but will be waiting for discounted pricing further down the road.

SkeezaPleez 02-05-2013 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roland Deschain (Post 57375860)
I'm looking forward to playing this game as I really enjoyed the first two installments...but will be waiting for discounted pricing further down the road.

Mine is sitting at home waiting for me. :sadwalk:

UPS delivers about 20 minutes after I walk out the door for work typically. Damn you!

Roland Deschain 02-05-2013 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkeezaPleez (Post 57377120)
Mine is sitting at home waiting for me. :sadwalk:

UPS delivers about 20 minutes after I walk out the door for work typically. Damn you!

guess I know what you're doing tonight!

I got FC3 still wrapped sitting at home. But first I gotta beat Darksiders2. I've been saying that for about a month now...haha

Waxed 02-06-2013 12:34 AM

I have the game for PC and would like to do some coop if anyone is interested. I don't know how to type or activate the microphone. If anyone knows, I'd appreciate it.

SkeezaPleez 02-06-2013 04:53 AM

Great game so far. I am trying to pace myself with it as my buddy who I'll be playing co-op with won't have it for another few days. Well done so far though.

AmAngel 02-06-2013 07:12 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'll take a look at the games mentioned above. Older games aren't necessarily bad anyway, buy them at a bargain price and have some fun with them... On another note, old games might be better. I'm still playing on my laptop (a poor student that can't afford a desktop nor a new laptop, got mine for ages now), which is the reason I postponed Hitman Absolution.. It's still eating dust in my Steam lib, now I think the same thing will happen to DS3 lol, always so triggerhappy to buy things without minding my laptop performance. Time to take out a loan and get a new laptop..

How would you rate the game Waxed and Skeeza? EU release is Feb 8th so I'm still waiting to see if my laptop can take it.

SkeezaPleez 02-06-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArchieAm (Post 57401956)

How would you rate the game Waxed and Skeeza? EU release is Feb 8th so I'm still waiting to see if my laptop can take it.

I've only played through 4 chapters so I can't give it a fair evaluation yet, but so far I'd give it an 8/10

Waxed 02-06-2013 10:45 AM

It's as good as the second one and plays the same. Only thing I don't like so far is the crafting system for weapons since the ui had me confused early on.

SkeezaPleez 02-25-2013 10:20 AM

So I beat it on regular mode.

Then I went through and beat it on Classic mode(which was a bitch BTW) but I unlocked the Devil Horns. Those things are effing sweet. 1 or 2 shot kill on most necromorphs and the go down in like 3 hits.

There is some exploit where you can use the Devil Horns on Pure Survival mode, so I did that and went through that mode in about a day.

Now I'm ready to sell.

My review? If you liked the first two, you'll enjoy the 3rd. The game play didn't really change and the co-op mode simply adds to the single player campaign. It was nice to get some clarity on the plot too.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:13 AM.


1999-2014