Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Deal Talk (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Canon PIXMA MG6220 AIO $69.95 (SSS @ Amazon) (http://slickdeals.net/f/5839314-canon-pixma-mg6220-aio-69-95-sss-amazon)

jhallas 02-04-2013 02:15 PM

Canon PIXMA MG6220 AIO $69.95 (SSS @ Amazon)

1 Attachment(s)
I didn't get one during the deals late last year and am tempted on this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-MG622...words=6220

wikipost 02-04-2013 02:15 PM

This post can and should be edited by users like you :)

Dead - OOS

Amazon Price History
Type Price When
Current $69.95 Feb 04, 2013
Highest * $199.99 Aug 29, 2011
Lowest * $59.99 Oct 08, 2012
Average + $113.08

This post can be edited by most users to provide up-to-date information about developments of this thread based on user responses, and user findings. Feel free to add, change or remove information shown here as it becomes available. This includes new coupons, rebates, ideas, thread summary, and similar items.

iTalk 02-04-2013 02:33 PM

This seems like an excellent deal if you missed it around BF. I got two from Staples. Terrific for printing high quality photo images.

deal03 02-04-2013 03:32 PM

still like MX892

jhallas 02-04-2013 03:37 PM

I decided on the MG6220 over the MX892 because it supposedly has better print quality and I don't need a document feeder which I see as the biggest benefit of the MX892.

jakiehack 02-04-2013 04:00 PM

Does anyone know how much does the ink cost on these printers?

jhallas 02-04-2013 04:08 PM

Here's a 6 pack for $7.28.
http://www.amazon.com/PGI-225BK-C...gy_e_img_y

Not sure how that ranks compared to other ink prices but one of the draws they talk about on the older deal thread is that there are a lot of choices for cheap ink for these printers.

C17chief 02-04-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakiehack (Post 57364630)

I dont know about this particular model...but I recently picked up a MG2120 for $35....and it's going in the trash when the ink runs out. $49 for both, and its one of those printers you have to have both to work. No cheap 3rd party carts for it either.

trendkiller 02-04-2013 04:41 PM

My old Canon Pixma just died and I bought a great Brother last week from Costco. Brother won me over after getting one for work. So I would recommend it over the Canon if you're in the market, although it will be more expensive than this deal. Also, the model I got prints on CDs, which I actually use!

http://www.costco.com/Brother-MFC...00907.html

Also reviewed here: http://www.consumersearch.com/mul...mfc-j825dw

This is available near this price from the usual suspects as well if you don't like Costco.

Cheap ink:

http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B005ZHHVSW/1.-20/

Or, for high yield cartridges:

http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B00561U3EG/1.-20/

jakiehack 02-04-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhallas (Post 57364809)

Not sure how that ranks compared to other ink prices but one of the draws they talk about on the older deal thread is that there are a lot of choices for cheap ink for these printers.

Thanks for the info

rpearlberg 02-04-2013 05:05 PM

I got the Epson Expression XP-800 the other day from Best Buy, but not sure i want to spend the $150 on it....the reviews are great though....
How does this one compare?

hoarder 02-04-2013 05:13 PM

no hdmi ..pass

Nate650 02-04-2013 05:27 PM

CNET review [cnet.com]

solarwind 02-04-2013 05:47 PM

"Feature-rich, but wastes ink and some driver issues"

I read that on Amazon. Honestly, I don't want a printer which wastes ink during cleaning cycles everyday, so I'll have to pass on this deal. Thanks anyway.

Behave 02-04-2013 05:48 PM

Amazon Price History
Type Price When
Current $69.95 Feb 04, 2013
Highest * $199.99 Aug 29, 2011
Lowest * $59.99 Oct 08, 2012
Average + $113.08

Quote:

Originally Posted by deal03 (Post 57364020)
still like MX892

:punk::punk::punk:

jimmylavino 02-04-2013 05:54 PM

My 12 yr old Canon finally died so I got this model for $60 from Staples during BF. I've been very happy with it! 4x6 pictures are very quick and almost indistinguishable from professional prints IMO. I haven't had to buy new ink yet, but I would be a little leery of the off brand stuff because of fading over time...

BTW... I was also concerned about the "wasting ink" comments, but I haven't had that issue. I am connecting via wireless and the printer stays on 24/7. Maybe if you were turning it on and off each time it would be a problem.

MOkoFOko 02-04-2013 06:07 PM

Great printer--good price indeed. Not as good as the 892 for office needs, but still a good deal after selling the genuine ink and going with generics.

jhallas 02-04-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solarwind (Post 57366820)

I read that on Amazon. Honestly, I don't want a printer which wastes ink during cleaning cycles everyday, so I'll have to pass on this deal. Thanks anyway.

From other reviews it seems that it doesn't do cleaning cycles as much if you connect wirelessly rather than through USB.

nc3780 02-04-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

I picked up this printer on bf and also use a mg5320, although they do an auto clean once in a while I don't think it uses that much ink, generic ink is like 1 dollar per cart so it's very cheap to replace. Also consider that it may help increase the life of the printer, mg5320 moderate to heavy use over 1 1/2 years never had a single problem with print quality.

canon makes some really nice printers which is why I got the 6220 for home use. wifi was pretty easy to set up in my case.

XtraCrispi 02-04-2013 06:39 PM

Wish this did bigger prints than 8.5 x 11. Looking for decent photo printer to do larger images.

NewtonFine 02-04-2013 06:39 PM

Thanks OP. Do you know what time today the new pricing went into effect? Printed the page off the Amazon website and am going to have BB pricematch the MG6220 I purchased about 3 weeks ago. Up until this, I had the price(match) down to $84.99 plus tax (also against Amazon).

EDIT: Not knowing whether Amazon will change their price by tomorrow (to guarantee my PM@BB), I went ahead and placed an order for Qty.1 of Canon MG6220 AIO Printer and Qty.2 of High Vision Compatible Ink Cartridges (link [amazon.com]) today. I wasn't about to waste $5 on gas (today) when all I could possibly do (today) is head over to BB (and nothing else of interest to me). Repped. Good way of using the Amazon GCs I got on MLK from BB, I suppose. :cool:

guat 02-04-2013 07:01 PM

In for 1 maybe 2

NewtonFine 02-04-2013 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iTalk (Post 57362716)
This seems like an excellent deal if you missed it around BF. I got two from Staples. Terrific for printing high quality photo images.

I went to Staples on BF2012 (after getting in on the Amazon deal for the MX892) and saw a stack of them in the aisle. I even visited Staples just a bit earlier that same month (Nov 2012) w/a 25% off coupon and was oblivious to an even better deal on the MG6220. My bad was in not researching a new inkjet prior to BF; I ended up selling the MX892 to a friend and waited for a good deal (like this) on the MG6220.
Quote:

Originally Posted by deal03 (Post 57364020)
still like MX892

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhallas (Post 57364168)
I decided on the MG6220 over the MX892 because it supposedly has better print quality and I don't need a document feeder which I see as the biggest benefit of the MX892.

I also decided on the MG6220 over the MX892 for similar reasons. I already have a Brother LASERFAX (b&w) and wanted CD/DVD printing more than having a built-in doc feeder. I used to own an Epson RX300 which was great for printing on custom CDs/DVDs. For the longest, I have wanted to find something that would enable me to have that capability again.
Quote:

Originally Posted by jakiehack (Post 57364630)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhallas (Post 57364809)

I looked around all over eBay and on Amazon, these are the least expensive (generic) replacements I have found:

Amazon: link #1 [amazon.com] and #2 [amazon.com], as well as eBay: link #1 [ebay.com], #2 [ebay.com], #3 [ebay.com], and #4 [ebay.com].

NOTE: Above linked, there are vendors on eBay selling "bottomless" ink supply units as well as nifty refillable cartridges (no drilling necessary). All above have chips included, with the refillable cartridges/systems having resettable chips.
Quote:

Originally Posted by C17chief (Post 57365132)
I dont know about this particular model...but I recently picked up a MG2120 for $35....and it's going in the trash when the ink runs out. $49 for both, and its one of those printers you have to have both to work. No cheap 3rd party carts for it either.

Best Buy has an in-store recycle program and will dispose of your unwanted printer free of charge. Staples will give you Rewards $$$ (usually $2/ea or more) for your empty ink cartridges.
Quote:

Originally Posted by trendkiller (Post 57365500)
Also, the model I got prints on CDs, which I actually use!

This model also prints on CDs. Check bullet #5 under "Product Features [amazon.com]"
Quote:

Originally Posted by rpearlberg (Post 57365932)
I got the Epson Expression XP-800 the other day from Best Buy, but not sure i want to spend the $150 on it....the reviews are great though....

Quote:

After reading many-many reviews, this printer (MG6220) can be your "best bet". However, like ALL inkjets, the way to avoid wasted ink is to leave it on 24/7 to avoid (extra) unnecessary cleaning cycles. Also, if you do not print all that frequently, you should STILL print out a FULL (ie; one that fires up all nozzles) color page, at worst, every 2 weeks or so. Doing so will help avoid you from having your cartridge pads/sponges dry out and keep the unit's printhead from clogging itself up with dried ink.
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmylavino (Post 57366972)
My 12 yr old Canon finally died so I got this model for $60 from Staples during BF. I've been very happy with it! 4x6 pictures are very quick and almost indistinguishable from professional prints IMO. I haven't had to buy new ink yet, but I would be a little leery of the off brand stuff because of fading over time...

BTW... I was also concerned about the "wasting ink" comments, but I haven't had that issue. I am connecting via wireless and the printer stays on 24/7. Maybe if you were turning it on and off each time it would be a problem.

The MG6220 supposedly uses two different types of inks. One is a dye (eg; dye sublimation technology) and the other is pigment based. So long as the generic ink one buys is of the same type, one shouldn't have a problem with fading. I've read some promising reviews from customers of generic suppliers as to the superb quality of their generic replacement ink cartridges. I suppose now I will be finding out first-hand myself.
Quote:

Originally Posted by MOkoFOko (Post 57367212)
Great printer--good price indeed. Not as good as the 892 for office needs, but still a good deal after selling the genuine ink and going with generics.

Thanks! Good idea; your the reason I added generic ink to my order. Repped!
Quote:

Originally Posted by jhallas (Post 57367658)
From other reviews it seems that it doesn't do cleaning cycles as much if you connect wirelessly rather than through USB.

Good to know. That will most definitely be the case in my household. :nod:
Quote:

Originally Posted by XtraCrispi (Post 57367870)
Wish this did bigger prints than 8.5 x 11. Looking for decent photo printer to do larger images.

Canon also puts out a PIXMA Pro [amazon.com] series that prints beyond 11x17. Though, of course, we are now talking way more $$$.

hahahaha 02-04-2013 09:54 PM

My previous two Canon printers all died at about one year. To get them work, I had to replace print head, which costs more than a new printer. What a waste.

MOkoFOko 02-04-2013 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewtonFine (Post 57371604)
I went to Staples on BF2012 (after getting in on the Amazon deal for the MX892) and saw a stack of them in the aisle. I even visited Staples just a bit earlier that same month (Nov 2012) w/a 25% off coupon and was oblivious to an even better deal on the MG6220. My bad was in not researching a new inkjet prior to BF; I ended up selling the MX892 to a friend and waited for a good deal (like this) on the MG6220.

I also decided on the MG6220 over the MX892 for similar reasons. I already have a Brother LASERFAX (b&w) and wanted CD/DVD printing more than having a built-in doc feeder. I used to own an Epson RX300 which was great for printing on custom CDs/DVDs. For the longest, I have wanted to find something that would enable me to have that capability again.

I looked around all over eBay and on Amazon, these are the least expensive (generic) replacements I have found:

Amazon: link #1 [amazon.com] and #2 [amazon.com], as well as eBay: link #1 [ebay.com], #2 [ebay.com], #3 [ebay.com], and #4 [ebay.com].

NOTE: Above linked, there are vendors on eBay selling "bottomless" ink supply units as well as nifty refillable cartridges (no drilling necessary). All above have chips included, with the refillable cartridges/systems having resettable chips.

Best Buy has an in-store recycle program and will dispose of your unwanted printer free of charge. Staples will give you Rewards $$$ (usually $2/ea or more) for your empty ink cartridges.

This model also prints on CDs. Check bullet #5 under "Product Features [amazon.com]"

After reading many-many reviews, this printer (MG6220) can be your "best bet". However, like ALL inkjets, the way to avoid wasted ink is to leave it on 24/7 to avoid (extra) unnecessary cleaning cycles. Also, if you do not print all that frequently, you should STILL print out a FULL (ie; one that fires up all nozzles) color page, at worst, every 2 weeks or so. Doing so will help avoid you from having your cartridge pads/sponges dry out and keep the unit's printhead from clogging itself up with dried ink.

The MG6220 supposedly uses two different types of inks. One is a dye (eg; dye sublimation technology) and the other is pigment based. So long as the generic ink one buys is of the same type, one shouldn't have a problem with fading. I've read some promising reviews from customers of generic suppliers as to the superb quality of their generic replacement ink cartridges. I suppose now I will be finding out first-hand myself.

Thanks! Good idea; your the reason I added generic ink to my order. Repped!

Good to know. That will most definitely be the case in my household. :nod:

Canon also puts out a PIXMA Pro [amazon.com] series that prints beyond 11x17. Though, of course, we are now talking way more $$$.

Be sure you get well-reviewed ink. There are plenty of generics out there of low quality that will clog printheads, require repeated cleanings after only a few prints, etc etc.

MOkoFOko 02-04-2013 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hahahaha (Post 57371688)
My previous two Canon printers all died at about one year. To get them work, I had to replace print head, which costs more than a new printer. What a waste.

There's a reason I have 4-5 backup 892's--which I sold the ink for--bringing the price down to like $15 each. If the printhead goes bad, you buy a new printer--not a new printhead!! And printheads don't go bad often unless you use poor inks...like mixing in cheaper dye inks in place of pigments.

NewtonFine 02-04-2013 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOkoFOko (Post 57372338)
Be sure you get well-reviewed ink. There are plenty of generics out there of low quality that will clog printheads, require repeated cleanings after only a few prints, etc etc.

Thank you. Well, the ink I ordered definitely does not fit the bill; it has only 3 total reviews, two 5-star and the other being a '1-star'. (I ignored the '1-star' as being attributable to "user-error" since she [amazon.com] was dumb enough to be playing with inks over her carpet.) :eek: The other one I linked to above (at Amazon) had zero reviews so I stayed away.... Can you recommend any sources?

P.S. - I am considering going with either the refillable or continuous systems I linked to above and buying 500ml bottles (or larger) of good quality inks should I know where to get it. The same vendors sell their systems with/without ink. BTW, I believe that is where I read the good reviews (on the systems and the ink).

NewtonFine 02-04-2013 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOkoFOko (Post 57372380)
There's a reason I have 4-5 backup 892's--which I sold the ink for--bringing the price down to like $15 each. If the printhead goes bad, you buy a new printer--not a new printhead!! And printheads don't go bad often unless you use poor inks...like mixing in cheaper dye inks in place of pigments.

Every since my dreadful experience with the Deathstars many moons ago, I put into practice the same tactic when it comes to HDDs. I usually buy two/double the quantity I need of every hard disk I intend to use long-term. :cool: I also try to buy the same models/makes for my clients for the same reason(s). That way, should a HDD "go down" suffering a catastrophic failure, I can work on getting it operational again ASAP. Sometimes it is the PCB (if your lucky), :bounce: other times it is the mechanism (not so lucky). :(

aikis 02-04-2013 11:22 PM

So happy to find this deal which is useful to me. Thanks OP!

MOkoFOko 02-04-2013 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewtonFine (Post 57372522)
Thank you. Well, the ink I ordered definitely does not fit the bill; it has only 3 total reviews, two 5-star and the other being a '1-star'. (I ignored the '1-star' as being attributable to "user-error" since she [amazon.com] was dumb enough to be playing with inks over her carpet.) :eek: The other one I linked to above (at Amazon) had zero reviews so I stayed away.... Can you recommend any sources?

P.S. - I am considering going with either the refillable or continuous systems I linked to above and buying 500ml bottles (or larger) of good quality inks should I know where to get it. The same vendors sell their systems with/without ink. BTW, I believe that is where I read the good reviews (on the systems and the ink).

Blakeprinting is good. Currently have 5 sets of their ink in use. G&G is the king of the hill when it comes to generic ink. The rest will come down to reviews and trial&error.

just4ivaylo 02-04-2013 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpearlberg (Post 57365932)

The XP-800 is similar to this Canon. It's the best photo printer/all-in-one that you can buy at Best Buy...and this printer was sold by Best Buy until recently, when Canon released a newer version. That is why Amazon is practically giving this away.

NewtonFine 02-05-2013 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOkoFOko (Post 57372950)
Blakeprinting is good. Currently have 5 sets of their ink in use. G&G is the king of the hill when it comes to generic ink. The rest will come down to reviews and trial&error.

Thanks for dropping their names. I just finished checking out Blake Printing and they seem pretty good. Just like the supplier I ordered from, Vision Supplies, Blake also has a 4.8/5.0 12-month rating. As some reviewers have alleged, they both still seem to reset the feedback/reviews on their products regularly though; :rolleyes: as neither of the two has lengthy feedback on many of the items they sell. (I checked out all 20 pages of ink by Blake and many/most have # of reviews in single digits or even@zero.)

I'll have to check out G&G, if they are as good as you say/heard. If I notice they sell 500ml bottles, I'll consider myself done for the time being after placing an order. :nod:

EDIT: Same story with G & G; lots of "new" product pages, etc.. They are definitely more friendly to MX892 owners, as I believe I spotted a 5-ink but not a 6-ink set, even though I was able to find the G & G CL-226 Gray [amazon.com] sold individually. Good prices too (on the MX892 set anyways); you made them sound buku expensive. :)

P.S. - After seeing their boxes online, I am almost certain that G & G is the brand I bought in bulk for my Epson R300 way back in 2003/4. If that is the case (which I am almost certain...), the ink I purchased for my old Epson from G & G did fade over time and the color correctness of my Epson was off whenever I was using their inks. Hopefully that is no longer the case (???), as their cartridges were top-notch quality otherwise.

To be fair, my previous problems with fading and color-correctness could've been (photo) paper-related. The only copied DVDs I still have from back then are a 4 disc set of Star Trek - The Cartoon Series and the ink on the labels (even though simplistic) still looks as good as the day they were printed. After purchasing a couple of cheap 100 packs of 4x6 paper (from frys.com, I think) I learned to stick with the good, hardy stocks from Canon, HP, and Epson (in that order).

NewtonFine 02-05-2013 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by just4ivaylo (Post 57372976)
The XP-800 is similar to this Canon. It's the best photo printer/all-in-one that you can buy at Best Buy...and this printer was sold by Best Buy until recently, when Canon released a newer version. That is why Amazon is practically giving this away.

FYI, Best Buy still sells the MG6220, both online [bestbuy.com] and at their B&Ms. It is Staples that has removed the SKU [staples.com] from their website a few weeks back, leaving me with nothing to do w/my $25 off $75 online/phone only coupon. :mad: You might still be able to find it for $99.99 (less coupons & rewards) at their B&Ms though. I think their in-store kiosks will take orders as well, if what I was told recently in-store is correct (SKU: 356592).

MOkoFOko 02-05-2013 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewtonFine (Post 57373294)
Thanks for dropping their names. I just finished checking out Blake Printing and they seem pretty good. Just like the supplier I ordered from, Vision Supplies, Blake also has a 4.8/5.0 12-month rating. As some reviewers have alleged, they both still seem to reset the feedback/reviews on their products regularly though; :rolleyes: as neither of the two has lengthy feedback on many of the items they sell. (I checked out all 20 pages of ink by Blake and many/most have # of reviews in single digits or even@zero.)

I'll have to check out G&G, if they are as good as you say/heard. If I notice they sell 500ml bottles, I'll consider myself done for the time being after placing an order. :nod:

Not sure what you're talking about:
http://www.amazon.com/Blake-Print...ewpoints=1

Average 4.5 star rating with 200+ reviews is as good as it gets. They come from ONE single supplier--unlike many other listings where you've potentially got dozens of resellers to choose from. And when it comes to choosing where to buy your ink, variety isn't always good. One new seller can be listing his self-made crap-quality ink within a product listing that has lots of positive reviews (based on transactions with other sellers). I don't need to explain how that can be a bad thing.

I was primarily talking about looking at feedback for the products themselves, and not the sellers. Some of those resellers get their ink from a variety of sources--they don't all mix inks on their own (blake does). They can be selling good ink for a while, and then sell garbage that they get at a discount from somewhere else.

Also, Amazon doesn't reset feedback. It is what it is. Where are you seeing these claims?

NewtonFine 02-05-2013 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOkoFOko (Post 57373558)
Not sure what you're talking about:
http://www.amazon.com/Blake-Print...ewpoints=1

Average 4.5 star rating with 200+ reviews is as good as it gets. They come from ONE single supplier--unlike many other listings where you've potentially got dozens of resellers to choose from. And when it comes to choosing where to buy your ink, variety isn't always good. One new seller can be listing his self-made crap-quality ink within a product listing that has lots of positive reviews (based on transactions with other sellers). I don't need to explain how that can be a bad thing.

I was primarily talking about looking at feedback for the products themselves, and not the sellers. Some of those resellers get their ink from a variety of sources--they don't all mix inks on their own (blake does). They can be selling good ink for a while, and then sell garbage that they get at a discount from somewhere else.

Also, Amazon doesn't reset feedback. It is what it is. Where are you seeing these claims?

What I was talking about is this [amazon.com], in general, and (of course) this [amazon.com] particular MG6220-related page. To Blake's credit, the page/product you linked to above is the ONLY item I found in 20 pages of their products (both ink and non-ink, I suppose) that had hundreds of reviews. I will most likely tell my friend to order his 5-ink sets from them.

P.S. - BTW, I edited (added-to) my post prior to this one.

NewtonFine 02-05-2013 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOkoFOko (Post 57373558)
Not sure what you're talking about... Where are you seeing these claims?

Actually, I read -A- single review :P:O that alleged that the reason why so many ink cartridge product pages have so few reviews is b/c once a product receives "enough" negative reviews, the seller "resets" the page by posting the product anew. It seems/seemed a reasonable hypothesis as to what I was seeing while looking for this when most others look like this [amazon.com]. I mean, seriously, this printer has been out for a year. Right? So why is the first review available on this [amazon.com] 6-ink set dated after the product (MG6220) has been discontinued? What about the MG6120, etc. that is compatible with this same ink? What happened to all those (alleged: missing) reviews? :confused:

MOkoFOko 02-05-2013 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewtonFine (Post 57373650)
What I was talking about is this [amazon.com], in general, and (of course) this [amazon.com] particular MG6220-related page. To Blake's credit, the page/product you linked to above is the ONLY item I found in 20 pages of their products (both ink and non-ink, I suppose) that had hundreds of reviews. I will most likely tell my friend to order his 5-ink sets from them.

P.S. - BTW, I edited (added-to) my post prior to this one.

He'll need to keep in mind that the 6220 requires the gray cartridges as well. Not a problem for me, since I use the 892s which don't use gray (office printer, rather than a photo-printer). Buy separately, or have to try other listings. I've had good luck pairing cheap 6-pack inks with my 6220, but I also don't care if the printheads clog up, as they're backup units.

MOkoFOko 02-05-2013 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewtonFine (Post 57373716)
Actually, I read -A- single review :P:O that alleged that the reason why so many ink cartridge product pages have so few reviews is b/c once a product receives "enough" negative reviews, the seller "resets" the page by posting the product anew. It seems/seemed a reasonable hypothesis as to what I was seeing while looking for this when most others look like this [amazon.com]. I mean, seriously, this printer has been out for a year. Right? So why is the first review available on this [amazon.com] 6-ink set dated after the product (MG6220) has been discontinued? What about the MG6120, etc. that is compatible with this same ink? What happened to all those (alleged: missing) reviews? :confused:

You've lost me. Blake is relatively new with inks on amazon. I can state as a matter of fact that they haven't been listing these inks over and over for more than a year--because I was searching for these inks more than a year back and their listings did not exist!!!

In any case, simple answer to this. The new one you're linking (which was created back in December 2012) is just plain new. There isn't as big a market for the gray cartridges. We're lucky they're even listing the gray at this time--they didn't have them available for sale back in August when I asked them about it. There's no conspiracy here--just sellers listing new products from time to time. While there are some cases where reviews for similar products do get meshed together, obviously that is not happening here.

I'll tell you one thing for a fact--individual sellers don't have the ability to just delete who products from the amazon catalog. They have to be removed by amazon--otherwise they remain up until the end of time. Try searching some outdated listings sometimes, and you may find that they haven't been used for a good 3-4 years :lol:

dstppy 02-05-2013 03:45 AM

Dead, oos, can't order from Amazon

screwu2man 02-05-2013 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dstppy (Post 57374058)

That's cause I ordered the last one. :) Sorry.

NewtonFine 02-05-2013 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOkoFOko (Post 57373758)
He'll need to keep in mind that the 6220 requires the gray cartridges as well. Not a problem for me, since I use the 892s which don't use gray (office printer, rather than a photo-printer). Buy separately, or have to try other listings. I've had good luck pairing cheap 6-pack inks with my 6220, but I also don't care if the printheads clog up, as they're backup units.

No, my friend ended up buying the MX892 from me that I bought off of Amazon just before BF2012. I mentioned this earlier in this thread.
Quote:

Originally Posted by MOkoFOko (Post 57373786)
You've lost me. Blake is relatively new with inks on amazon. I can state as a matter of fact that they haven't been listing these inks over and over for more than a year--because I was searching for these inks more than a year back and their listings did not exist!!!

Ah, good to know. I wont hold any formulations that result from "the hypothesis" against them then at this point in time. :D
Quote:

In any case, simple answer to this. The new one you're linking (which was created back in December 2012) is just plain new. There isn't as big a market for the gray cartridges. We're lucky they're even listing the gray at this time--they didn't have them available for sale back in August when I asked them about it. There's no conspiracy here--just sellers listing new products from time to time. While there are some cases where reviews for similar products do get meshed together, obviously that is not happening here.

So what did owners of the MG6120, MG8120, etc. do for generic 6-ink sets? I find it hard to believe that generic 6-ink sets only became available recently, as opposed to having been a viable option for the 1st generation of these PIXMA printers.
Quote:

I'll tell you one thing for a fact--individual sellers don't have the ability to just delete who products from the amazon catalog. They have to be removed by amazon--otherwise they remain up until the end of time. Try searching some outdated listings sometimes, and you may find that they haven't been used for a good 3-4 years :lol:

Oh yeah, that I understand. However, if as a seller you do not take the "easy" route of posting an item to a known/pre-existing category, product ID, SKU, or ASIN, then you can pretty much have Amazon's system generate your own unique SKU/ASIN for your item(s) and "delete" it into oblivion accordingly whenever "you", the seller, decide to "delete" the unique SKU/ASIN from your product listings. Sure, it will still be assigned an ASIN on Amazon, but how will anyone find it w/o going through hundreds, perhaps thousands of pages in a search? For just about any ink supplier selling his/her own brand of generic inks on Amazon, they are going to end up generating their own unique ASINs for their unique products. In which case, the above scenario of their item(s) "deleting into oblivion" would apply.

Just look here [amazon.com] to see what I mean. Who has the time to go over 378 pages of results to figure out who is hiding "bad ink"? Not me! It would be easier to work for the FTC. :P Oh BTW, I found some suppliers on Amazon selling refillable systems with ink bottles via this search [amazon.com]. Oddly enough, prices are better than those I found on eBay and you (probably) wont have to wait on your shipment making its way over from China. :lmao:

NewtonFine 02-05-2013 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dstppy (Post 57374058)

System is showing "Only 1 left in stock." for me. Probably the one I cancelled earlier making its way back into inventory b/c I forgot to use my Amazon GCs for purchase. :P

EDIT: Oh, never mind, different vendor plus S&H. Yuk! Wow, glad I didn't wait for my PM w/BB today. :yummy:

rpearlberg 02-05-2013 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewtonFine (Post 57373356)
FYI, Best Buy still sells the MG6220, both online [bestbuy.com] and at their B&Ms. It is Staples that has removed the SKU [staples.com] from their website a few weeks back, leaving me with nothing to do w/my $25 off $75 online/phone only coupon. :mad: You might still be able to find it for $99.99 (less coupons & rewards) at their B&Ms though. I think their in-store kiosks will take orders as well, if what I was told recently in-store is correct (SKU: 356592).

Thanks. I haven't opened the Epson yet, but I think I'll just keep it. The reviews are really good and it has a lot of different functions. The main reason I want it is to print 4x6 pictures, but the all in one feature is nice to have.

NewtonFine 02-08-2013 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewtonFine (Post 57374276)
System is showing "Only 1 left in stock." for me. Probably the one I cancelled earlier making its way back into inventory b/c I forgot to use my Amazon GCs for purchase. :P

EDIT: Oh, never mind, different vendor plus S&H. Yuk! Wow, glad I didn't wait for my PM w/BB today. :yummy:

UPDATE: Brought my still NIB MG6220 back to BB yesterday ready for a return w/my Amazon $69.95 "in stock" printout in-hand. The CSR gave me a PM w/the 3-day old printout!!! :omg: Considering the price point, I'll keep both units (one as a spare) and sell off all of the OEM ink to offset the costs ("trick" learned from MOkoFOko here...).

XtraCrispi 02-09-2013 09:52 AM

Anyone get theirs and use it yet? I got mine sitting here in the box as I contemplate. Again, wish it did larger prints. All the reviews and posts got me excited so I pulled the trigger. I want to hear more.

What was the final verdict on inexpensive quality inks to purchase? I might be using this to make some prints for clients and my fear is the cheap ink might just fade. I've got a few 4x6 photos I printed with some generic ink a year or two ago (on a different printer) and they are totally washed out now.