Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Hot Deals (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   HP Pavilion G6-2235us 15.6" Laptop $329.99 a/$50 rebate @ STAPLES (http://slickdeals.net/f/5845046-hp-pavilion-g6-2235us-15-6-laptop-329-99-a-50-rebate-staples)

Seyi1 02-07-2013 12:10 PM

HP Pavilion G6-2235us 15.6" Laptop $329.99 a/$50 rebate @ STAPLES

Staples has HP Pavilion G6-2235us 15.6" Laptop $329.99 a/$50 easy rebate

link here
http://weeklyad.staples.com/Stapl...genumber=1

Windows 8 with the HP Pavilion G6-2235us Laptop.
•Next Gen AMD A6-4400M 2.7GHz up to 3.2GHz 1MB L2 Accelerated Cache Processor
•4GB DDR3 SDRAM (1 DIMM) Installed Memory
•750GB 5400RPM Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
•15.6" diagonal HD (3) BrightView LED-backlit display (1366 x 768)

SkyKing02 02-07-2013 12:17 PM

is this 64 bits?

steppedinit 02-07-2013 12:17 PM

Available online too: http://www.staples.com/All-Laptop...sc_content

QuickStriker 02-07-2013 12:25 PM

How is this laptop around this price range compared to other laptop under 400 dollar range??

Trying to buy a laptop for my younger sister by her b-day next month, she's in high school and a laptop hopefully lasting her for at least 3-4 years...

Since Intel i3-i5 series are much more expensive... and idk about A6 series that well for AMD... is this even a quad core?

DesertCoyote 02-07-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuickStriker (Post 57432682)
How is this laptop around this price range compared to other laptop under 400 dollar range??

Trying to buy a laptop for my younger sister by her b-day next month, she's in high school and a laptop hopefully lasting her for at least 3-4 years...

Since Intel i3-i5 series are much more expensive... and idk about A6 series that well for AMD... is this even a quad core?

this is OK for now, but probably would not last her for 3-4 years. Of course depends on what she wants to use it for. I think you should look to at least i3, and i5 would be better. Try the Lenovo outlet, for example.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.p...-4400M+APU

QuickStriker 02-07-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertCoyote (Post 57432782)
this is OK for now, but probably would not last her for 3-4 years. Of course depends on what she wants to use it for. I think you should look to at least i3, and i5 would be better. Try the Lenovo outlet, for example.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.p...-4400M+APU

So my best bet would look for those Lenovo outlet and find a possible i3 or i5 laptops AND that's also new (she hates used products) for around or under 400 dollars???

Were there deals like that or is that even possible? I never seen such deals!!

Thanks for the help.

DesertCoyote 02-07-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuickStriker (Post 57432920)
So my best bet would look for those Lenovo outlet and find a possible i3 or i5 laptops AND that's also new (she hates used products) for around or under 400 dollars???

Thanks for the help.

you can easily look around and find an i3 for under 400. Many of the lenovo outlet items are new or look new. They might be a returned item, an open box, etc. I believe that they come with the same warranty as new. Staples and Best Buy have specials, as does Dell. There should be continuing sales, since, in general, fewer people are buying laptops.

I am still using an older dual core laptop, but I am not doing anything requiring much video/processing power. If I was to buy a new laptop now, I would not buy less than i3, if I expected to use it for a couple of years in general use.

QuickStriker 02-07-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertCoyote (Post 57433060)
you can easily look around and find an i3 for under 400. Many of the lenovo outlet items are new or look new. They might be a returned item, an open box, etc. I believe that they come with the same warranty as new. Staples and Best Buy have specials, as does Dell. There should be continuing sales, since, in general, fewer people are buying laptops.

I am still using an older dual core laptop, but I am not doing anything requiring much video/processing power. If I was to buy a new laptop now, I would not buy less than i3, if I expected to use it for a couple of years in general use.

Hmmm alright, I'll have to do some research and digging for these deals... returned item may not be good for I'll just have to focus if I see any good new deals that's at least i3 and under 400.

Thanks for the advice.

muffinz 02-07-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyKing02 (Post 57432492)
is this 64 bits?

yes it is.

ctsinc 02-07-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyKing02 (Post 57432492)
is this 64 bits?

Everything made int he last 5+ years is 64bit.

muffinz 02-07-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuickStriker (Post 57432682)

I have an A6 desktop. I'm betting it would be ok for high school stuff for the next 4 years. I'm not sure about the A6 mobile processor. I'd bet it would be ok. Memory would be a bigger issue in the years to come. Make sure whatever you get is expandable to at least 8GB. Not sure if this laptop is or not.

edit: wow, ok, the new A6 is considerably weaker than the llano A6. It's pentium level performance.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-...726.0.html

I think you might be better off getting an A10 or a cheap i3 off the lenovo outlet.

jcbecker 02-07-2013 01:14 PM

I bought this for my high school son in December. It looks great and does what he needs to to do. It has windows 8 on it and I am kind of lost in using it since I am used to windows 7 and below. Other than that, it is very quick and large screen.

QuickStriker 02-07-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muffinz (Post 57433804)
I have an A6 desktop. I'm betting it would be ok for high school stuff for the next 4 years. I'm not sure about the A6 mobile processor. I'd bet it would be ok. Memory would be a bigger issue in the years to come. Make sure whatever you get is expandable to at least 8GB. Not sure if this laptop is or not.

edit: wow, ok, the new A6 is considerably weaker than the llano A6. It's pentium level performance.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-...726.0.html

I think you might be better off getting an A10 or a cheap i3 off the lenovo outlet.

Yea I noticed, I had a llano A6 laptop last year and realized this is different A6...

My sister is already more than half-way done so she only have 1.5 years left till college. So I'm just hoping this might last for half way into her college years...

But it seems I should just hunt laptops for the next several weeks at lenovo outlet until her b-day week comes which is when I panic if I don't find a laptop by then.

yarnim 02-07-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuickStriker (Post 57433214)
Hmmm alright, I'll have to do some research and digging for these deals... returned item may not be good for I'll just have to focus if I see any good new deals that's at least i3 and under 400.

Thanks for the advice.

i would not quote him on anything.

ie. the system he uses, and he does not seem to have any first hand experience.

I have first hand experience with 10+ refurb lenovo's from lenovo outlet as well as virtually most of the computers out there ranging from entry to very highest end.

long story short on them leonvo refurbs: AVOID. unless they are thinkpad line.

an A6 is NOT a weak processor. the processing power itself lacks a little compared to an intel, sure, but people are working with processors that are already overkill in most occasions.

unless your sister is going to be doing some serious photowork, script writings or an entertainment freak that shes always encoding and transcoding media, this will be more than enough for several years if she takes care of it.

plus, 3~4 years is already more than the average life span of any given computer electronics nowdays.

muffinz 02-07-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuickStriker (Post 57434046)
Yea I noticed, I had a llano A6 laptop last year and realized this is different A6...

My sister is already more than half-way done so she only have 1.5 years left till college. So I'm just hoping this might last for half way into her college years...

But it seems I should just hunt laptops for the next several weeks at lenovo outlet until her b-day week comes which is when I panic if I don't find a laptop by then.

Staples and Bestbuy (although rarely) might have what you need in the $350 range in the coming weeks as well. Also keep an eye on newegg since no tax for most.

I think good deals on new laptops are very infrequent in the lenovo outlet. Mostly refurbs.

gfx2 02-07-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuickStriker (Post 57433214)

Thanks for the advice.

Just wanted to put my two cents here:

Avoid HP and AMD any combination if you want a laptop for more than 2 years, and not want additional room heaters.

Dell Outlet is, in my opinion, a great place to get what u want in sub400. They are not used, specially the refurbished, non scratch-and-dent ones and work well.

I have personally gone through 2 HP heaters and made my friends (on budget) get great Dell outlet deals that have lasted long enough.

steppedinit 02-07-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertCoyote (Post 57433060)
you can easily look around and find an i3 for under 400. Many of the lenovo outlet items are new or look new. They might be a returned item, an open box, etc. I believe that they come with the same warranty as new.

I have a ThinkPad Edge E520 enroute from Lenovo Outlet Doorbusters which is i3 that was $235.21, but those are very few and far in between.

1 year warranty.

zeth006 02-07-2013 01:46 PM

Don't the A-series processors have decent GPUs at this price point?

WorkingMan 02-07-2013 02:06 PM

My two cents:

I am currently using a Lenovo I bought from the outlet... it had obviously been dropped and had the screen replaced. No big deal - just broken plastic and a dent in the wrist rest area!

WAIT!!! Lenovo says they won't send any out that have that kind of defect that could affect that area - thanks to it being annoying or scratching you wrist etc!!!

Well, mine does!

And the screen is sooo weak - my screen just cracked one day on the bottom (I have had it only about 4 months) Lenovo won't touch it now...

so I have it hooked up to an external monitor... lovely and portable... (sarcasm)

POINT IS: you just never know what you are going to get... stick w/ HP. Stick w/ New!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by gfx2 (Post 57434376)
Just wanted to put my two cents here:

Avoid HP and AMD any combination if you want a laptop for more than 2 years, and not want additional room heaters.

Dell Outlet is, in my opinion, a great place to get what u want in sub400. They are not used, specially the refurbished, non scratch-and-dent ones and work well.

I have personally gone through 2 HP heaters and made my friends (on budget) get great Dell outlet deals that have lasted long enough. Lenovo outlet is good too, if u can find one there.

duenor 02-07-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yarnim (Post 57434160)
i would not quote him on anything.

ie. the system he uses, and he does not seem to have any first hand experience.

I have first hand experience with 10+ refurb lenovo's from lenovo outlet as well as virtually most of the computers out there ranging from entry to very highest end.

long story short on them leonvo refurbs: AVOID. unless they are thinkpad line.

an A6 is NOT a weak processor. the processing power itself lacks a little compared to an intel, sure, but people are working with processors that are already overkill in most occasions.

unless your sister is going to be doing some serious photowork, script writings or an entertainment freak that shes always encoding and transcoding media, this will be more than enough for several years if she takes care of it.

plus, 3~4 years is already more than the average life span of any given computer electronics nowdays.

A big +1.
Lenovo = low quality PC builds that take otherwise quality components and put them together with such shoddy workmanship and design that the whole becomes crap. on PAPER they sound great but in reality they are crap. Even the much maligned Acer laptops are better. Lenovo support is also crap as well. You'd probably be better of spending it on a Dell refurb.
Once you own a Lenovo, you'll realize how important design is - you can have the best components in the world, but a poor design renders the whole into junk.

As for AMD A6 - don't discount them. They are quite powerful and will do the job well into the next four to six years. Here is where I disagree with this poster - I would argue that the rate of obsoletion is actually slowing down quite a bit unless users are gamers (and even then, it is slowing). If your sister is like most college students (esp. girls), this laptop will do her fine well into her first job or through grad school.

AMDs are weaker than intel in raw processing power but have a very robust integrated video solution. The end result is that in real world use they are just as strong and may even be better in some areas (such as playing games).

As a point of reference, I own very high end hardware at home but I have not felt underpowered at all using my HP 6710B which runs an old core2duo with 4gb of ram and an SSD with win7.

BTW, slickdeals and google docs run just fine even on a Pentium 4....

joshuaNH 02-07-2013 02:30 PM

Do yourself a favor...

Get a A8 or A10 for a few bucks more.

AMD makes "budget gaming laptops" the A6 just does not cut it. IF YOU DO NOT GAME then go with a i3 (seems there is always a $350 deal somewhere).

SO THUMBS DOWNS... product is just lacking.

crimsonroses 02-07-2013 02:38 PM

how does this compare to a Lenovo g580 intel celeron b830 4gb ram 320gb hard drive 15.6 screen? I bought it for below 190 and brand new but i might just sell it and get one of the HP? My current laptop i bought in 2007 and has held up well it runs a dual core. i'm not a laptop snob just need a laptop to skype, web browse, send mail, and millescaneous administrative things.

QuickStriker 02-07-2013 02:41 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Well I heard horrific stories regarding mixing HP and AMD several days back on some other threads so I probably should avoid this if I know what's good for my sister until she can afford her own laptop sometime in future in college...

But this may be a little bit difficult to find then if my standards to buy a laptop over next month to last 3-4 years is:

1. At least Intel i3
2. Has a CD/DVD drive
3. Stable build so it can actually last a good 3-4 years at least
4. Under 400 dollars...

Factoring all this, I might have to decline this deal on this thread unless others can convince me otherwise... but we'll see how the market goes in the next few weeks until I'm really in trouble because I didn't buy a present for her b-day in March..

DWad 02-07-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuickStriker (Post 57436056)

Well I heard horrific stories regarding mixing HP and AMD several days back on some other threads so I probably should avoid this if I know what's good for my sister until she can afford her own laptop sometime in future in college...

But this may be a little bit difficult to find then if my standards to buy a laptop over next month to last 3-4 years is:

1. At least Intel i3
2. Has a CD/DVD drive
4. Under 400 dollars...

Factoring all this, I might have to decline this deal on this thread unless others can convince me otherwise... but we'll see how the market goes in the next few weeks until I'm really in trouble because I didn't buy a present for her b-day in March..

I would say you would probably want to decline this deal more because it's an A6 processor, and less because it's an HP with an AMD processor. An A8 would be sufficient, an A10 would be better than an i3. They'll also usually give you better battery life, although probably not by much.

If you want something to last 3-4 years, get something with an i5 for under 500. It'll last you a little longer, and it will be a little faster. Also, any regular laptop (i.e. not an ultrabook/ultraportable/sleekbook/whatever) will have a dvd drive.

tennisplayer888 02-07-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuickStriker (Post 57432920)

Thanks for the help.

Just open up the package and remove the refurbished sticker off th bottom of the laptop and call it new.

And yes, Lenovo outlet did and does have new models on sale/clearance.

joshuaNH 02-07-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetjg (Post 57435980)
how does this compare to a Lenovo g580 intel celeron b830 4gb ram 320gb hard drive 15.6 screen? I bought it for below 190 and brand new but i might just sell it and get one of the HP? My current laptop i bought in 2007 and has held up well it runs a dual core. i'm not a laptop snob just need a laptop to skype, web browse, send mail, and millescaneous administrative things.

Not a fan of Celeron... sorry.

sponz 02-07-2013 03:28 PM

What the hell are you guys doing with a 330 dollar laptop that requires more horsepower than an A6 will provide?

This laptop will easily do all your web browsing, e-mailing, basic photo editing, and even some light gaming. The expectation of a high end gaming machine is unrealistic at this price unless it is a price mistake.

It will play 1080p blueray files, 1080/720 MKVs, and all the flash games out there. My wife has an old AMD X2 laptop that is probably 6 years old and can do most of that already (not the blueray).

The requirements of browsing the web, doing office, e-mail, etc is *NOT* going to change in 4 years. Everything you can do now with it, you *WILL* be able to do in 4 years. Everything my wife could do with her laptop when she bought it 6 years ago, she can still do today. It hasn't changed.

Anyone who says you need an i3 or an i5 because it will be outdated in 3-4 years is a fool.

muffinz 02-07-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WorkingMan (Post 57435114)
My two cents:

POINT IS: you just never know what you are going to get... stick w/ HP. Stick w/ New!!

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

POINT IS: life is a box of chocolates......stick w/ HP. Stick w/ New!!

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

rbd13 02-07-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DWad (Post 57436160)
I would say you would probably want to decline this deal more because it's an A6 processor, and less because it's an HP with an AMD processor. An A8 would be sufficient, an A10 would be better than an i3. They'll also usually give you better battery life, although probably not by much.

If you want something to last 3-4 years, get something with an i5 for under 500. It'll last you a little longer, and it will be a little faster. Also, any regular laptop (i.e. not an ultrabook/ultraportable/sleekbook/whatever) will have a dvd drive.

check this out. i got this one for 419.
link [bestbuy.com]

yarnim 02-07-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sponz (Post 57437190)
What the hell are you guys doing with a 330 dollar laptop that requires more horsepower than an A6 will provide?

This laptop will easily do all your web browsing, e-mailing, basic photo editing, and even some light gaming. The expectation of a high end gaming machine is unrealistic at this price unless it is a price mistake.

It will play 1080p blueray files, 1080/720 MKVs, and all the flash games out there. My wife has an old AMD X2 laptop that is probably 6 years old and can do most of that already (not the blueray).

The requirements of browsing the web, doing office, e-mail, etc is *NOT* going to change in 4 years. Everything you can do now with it, you *WILL* be able to do in 4 years. Everything my wife could do with her laptop when she bought it 6 years ago, she can still do today. It hasn't changed.

Anyone who says you need an i3 or an i5 because it will be outdated in 3-4 years is a fool.

absolutely correct. there are way too many of those people in the SD community. they've no idea what they're talking about, yet they just see stuff on SD and think thats everything.

rbd13 02-07-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuickStriker (Post 57436056)

1. At least Intel i3
2. Has a CD/DVD drive
4. Under 400 dollars...

this one is now 449 for an i5.
link [bestbuy.com]

original thread

defbrizzo 02-07-2013 06:14 PM

I bought one for my mother. Nice unit for this price point. Lenovo outlet is hit or miss with stock and this unit IS better than a Celeron or E series AMD by far. (Well not ALL Celerons but the low end anyway)

And I got it for free,, sort of. I have over $900 in rewards I am trying to burn.

aegrotatio 02-07-2013 10:25 PM

I want the low-end laptops to move up from 1366x768 some day.

QuickStriker 02-07-2013 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbd13 (Post 57439706)
this one is now 449 for an i5.
link [bestbuy.com]

original thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbd13 (Post 57438524)
check this out. i got this one for 419.
link [bestbuy.com]

These look like an alright deal except it's not on sale anymore and my budget to buy my sister's b-day present as a laptop is under 400 dollars... Sure it's over my budget by 50 dollars.... but will I have to think and consider eating ramen several weeks just so my sister can have a better lasting laptop to last for 4 years?

But seriously, is this the best deal a NEW i5 laptop can offer at this price? Hmm...

rbd13 02-07-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuickStriker (Post 57444676)
These look like an alright deal except it's not on sale anymore and my budget to buy my sister's b-day present as a laptop is under 400 dollars... Sure it's over my budget by 50 dollars.... but will I have to think and consider eating ramen several weeks just so my sister can have a better lasting laptop to last for 4 years?

But seriously, is this the best deal a NEW i5 laptop can offer at this price? Hmm...

most new laptops will "last" 4 years. You can get those for under 400. If you need the laptop for basic purposes, Best Buy has this on sale for 299 link. It does not have a cd drive though, so...

RBGIANTFAN 02-07-2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duenor (Post 57435236)
A big +1.
Lenovo = low quality PC builds that take otherwise quality components and put them together with such shoddy workmanship and design that the whole becomes crap. on PAPER they sound great but in reality they are crap. Even the much maligned Acer laptops are better. Lenovo support is also crap as well. You'd probably be better of spending it on a Dell refurb.

You can get a lemon from almost any manufacturer. I own 2 Acer laptops and have been very impressed with their build quality. I think that they are an excellent choice when it comes to bang for the buck.
I didn't know they were "much maligned" but I gues I am not disagreeing with you as you are saying you think they're better than Lenovo. One other note on Lenovo though: The Thinkpad line is excellent. Still the best laptop keyboard I've found.

kristinNY 02-07-2013 11:49 PM

I've had two Acer laptops too, and I really liked them both. In fact the first one lasted through 5 years of daily use as a college student (during which I traveled a lot and moved back and forth across the country twice), and was still fine when I decided I wanted something newer and sleeker. I opted for a Toshiba, which a lot of people recommend over Acer, and I absolutely hated that thing.

duenor 02-08-2013 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RBGIANTFAN (Post 57445100)
You can get a lemon from almost any manufacturer. I own 2 Acer laptops and have been very impressed with their build quality. I think that they are an excellent choice when it comes to bang for the buck.
I didn't know they were "much maligned" but I gues I am not disagreeing with you as you are saying you think they're better than Lenovo. One other note on Lenovo though: The Thinkpad line is excellent. Still the best laptop keyboard I've found.

I own two acers as well.
Acers aren't built to be used like enterprise laptops, that's for sure - mostly plastic, stiff mouse buttons, not really sleek or slender. Their displays also tend toward the lower-res and heavy side.

But they do work well, especially for the money. They are well designed, and the (mostly) good design makes up for the lower-tier parts used within.

The thinkpad line when made by IBM was THE standard for enterprise laptops, with the Dell Latitude line a close second. Today, they are decent, but a far cry from what they used to be. The plastic is much thinner and weaker; metal hinges have been thinned and reduced.

To anyone buing refurbs, I'd strongly recommend enterprise class refurbs.

federer 02-08-2013 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duenor (Post 57435236)
A big +1.

As for AMD A6 - don't discount them. They are quite powerful and will do the job well into the next four to six years. Here is where I disagree with this poster - I would argue that the rate of obsoletion is actually slowing down quite a bit unless users are gamers (and even then, it is slowing). If your sister is like most college students (esp. girls), this laptop will do her fine well into her first job or through grad school.

AMDs are weaker than intel in raw processing power but have a very robust integrated video solution. The end result is that in real world use they are just as strong and may even be better in some areas (such as playing games).

As a point of reference, I own very high end hardware at home but I have not felt underpowered at all using my HP 6710B which runs an old core2duo with 4gb of ram and an SSD with win7.

BTW, slickdeals and google docs run just fine even on a Pentium 4....

yes! guess what guys? i am on my desktop, with a amd athlon 64 1ghz dual core!

duenor 02-08-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by federer (Post 57445754)
yes! guess what guys? i am on my desktop, with a amd athlon 64 1ghz dual core!

Yep. It's all about the build... this is why the American craftsman still has a hope. As long as we keep innovating on design, form, and build quality we'll stay on top of the cheap-labor Chinese factories.

Good hardware design + good software design = great computer.

federer 02-08-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duenor (Post 57449428)
Yep. It's all about the build... this is why the American craftsman still has a hope. As long as we keep innovating on design, form, and build quality we'll stay on top of the cheap-labor Chinese factories.

Good hardware design + good software design = great computer.

haha my box is pretty slow and what not but for my purposes it still works, so. i think its now 5yrs old?

napnap 02-08-2013 10:22 AM

Any dollar off coupon that we can use with this?