Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Deal Talk (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Panasonic NB-G110P Flash Xpress Toaster Oven 89$@amzn shipped (http://slickdeals.net/f/5845918-panasonic-nb-g110p-flash-xpress-toaster-oven-89-amzn-shipped)

bens_brother 02-07-2013 09:53 PM

Panasonic NB-G110P Flash Xpress Toaster Oven 89$@amzn shipped

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/...PDKIKX0DER

clip 10$ coupon, down to 89$, best price ever. excellent reviews. :drool: :omg:

yuugotserved 02-07-2013 09:53 PM

Panasonic NB-G110P Flash Xpress Toaster Oven (Silver) $90 + Free Shipping

1 Attachment(s)
Amazon has Panasonic NB-G110P Flash Xpress Toaster Oven (Silver) for $100 - clip $10 coupon on product page = $90. Shipping is free. Thanks bens_brother
Note, must be logged into your account.

Price Research: Our research indicates Panasonic NB-G110P Flash Xpress Toaster Oven (Silver) that is $10 lower (10% savings) than the next best available price from a reputable merchant with prices ranging from $100 to $141. - yuugotserved

yazyazoo 02-07-2013 10:01 PM

This or Breville?

bens_brother 02-07-2013 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yazyazoo (Post 57444890)
This or Breville?

this, no.1 rated. :yummy:

shikado 02-07-2013 10:13 PM

I have one for almost 10yrs now and it's still going strong. Unlike conventional oven, this one has Instant on feature with no waiting period. Highly recommend.

vulches 02-07-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bens_brother (Post 57444812)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/...PDKIKX0DER

clip 10$ coupon, down to 89$, best price ever. excellent reviews. :drool: :omg:

Ever? These used to sell for under $60 until Panasonic stopped making them for a few years.

bens_brother 02-07-2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vulches (Post 57445082)
Ever? These used to sell for under $60 until Panasonic stopped making them for a few years.

this is the new model. has always been 130$ ish..:bulb:

gibsonbass 02-07-2013 10:32 PM

How big is this?

zeelurker 02-07-2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gibsonbass (Post 57445286)
How big is this?

According to the amazon web page

Meaures 10 1/4" (H) x 13" (D) x 12" (D), 7.5 lbs, Silver

gibsonbass 02-07-2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeelurker (Post 57445504)

Kinda small.

tran1981 02-07-2013 11:26 PM

Got one. Been looking for a nice toaster oven.

Highagain420 02-07-2013 11:54 PM

Was waiting for this to drop from $109 to $99. $89 truly makes this slick!

cybazaar 02-08-2013 12:43 AM

I have had a previous model of this since Dec 2004 (8+ years). Had to replace one of the heating elements once. The insides are dirty like a grill that was never cleaned. But it's one of the most used appliances in the kitchen and well worth it. Time for a replacement, even though it still works.

corazones 02-08-2013 01:37 AM

thanks OP! Added to wishlist

gymsock 02-08-2013 01:39 AM

Was seriously considering this until I read a bunch of reviews and see that it does not have a BROIL feature or even a BAKE option. It's mainly for toasting things, making 9" pizzas and reheating leftovers. Not sure if I could justify $89 for an oven that doesn't bake and broil.

Cooking modes:
• Toast
• Waffle
• Roll
• Pizza
• Quick
• Hash Brown

vg92 02-08-2013 04:48 AM

Quote:

Would this silver color match with the other stainless steel appliances in the kitchen? I can't really tell from the pictures though...

ppsagehen 02-08-2013 06:43 AM

Quote:

This or Breville?

If you bake and if you have the extra money to opt for the bigger one I'd go for the breville (when the refurb price drops). If you just toast things probably doesn't matter.

kquig91 02-08-2013 06:54 AM

I remember the first time Consumer Reports tested this. Highly rated when they tested it, loved the speed.

joe221 02-08-2013 07:10 AM

Mine is 8 years old and still going strong. It does bake but it has a learning curve as it's faster than a typical oven. It maxes the timer at 25 minutes and has approximate degree settings. Still, best toaster oven ever. The big Breville 800 is the only challenger if you have the space.
Repped.

mbelsky 02-08-2013 07:25 AM

Quote:

I see 13.9 x 10.3 x 7.8 inches......which is h, w and d?

Edit: correct dimensions are 13" (W) x 12" (D) x 10-1/4" (H). zeelurker was correct..sorry!

hilaryshotlips 02-08-2013 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kquig91 (Post 57448992)
I remember the first time Consumer Reports tested this. Highly rated when they tested it, loved the speed.

CR hasn't tested this in some time, perhaps because it hasn't been released for awhile. Are you referring to the older NB=G100P? CR seems to love the Brevilles.

A review of the Panasonic NB-G110P describes it as "flimsy" although it gets 4.5 stars and the reviewer received it for free for the express purpose of reviewing:

http://www.piecesofamom.com/2012/12/product-review-panasonic-toaster-oven.html

Quote:

The NB-G110P seemed too lightweight for a toaster oven. I was worried that if I dropped it, it might break into a million pieces
continued here:
http://homegadgetsreport.com/panasonic-nb-g110p-review/

I need a toaster/oven to replace my 7 year old Delonghi. The fuse keeps blowing on that one and I have to replace it myself as the authorized repair service labor would be too costly. I would buy a new Delonghi but the Amazon reviews aren't the greatest. I would consider a Breville, but the price is just too much for a small household. Does anyone have this exact unit and does it really feel as cheaply made as the reviewer seems to indicate? My old Delonghi is a solid piece of metal. I would consider purchasing the Panasonic NB-G110P if someone has actually compared it to the old G100P unit, and states that the workmanship and quality of materials used are the same.

I just compared the specs and both the G110P and G100P weigh 7.5 lbs. and have dimensions of 13W x 12D x 10-1/4H. It would seem that this is the same unit with just a different looking design.

The reviews on Amazon are very favorable except they all seem to describe it as a great toaster! I'm looking for a toaster/oven that can broil a turkey burger, salmon, and reheat roasted chicken.

This reviewer says you have to wrap fish in aluminum foil (I'm guessing that it can hurt the infrared elements if juice sprays around the inside of the unit)
http://www.amazon.com/review/R2KGP21RMJ7HP7/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B008C9UFDI&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=

Quote:

Originally Posted by ppsagehen (Post 57448794)
If you bake and if you have the extra money to opt for the bigger one I'd go for the breville (when the refurb price drops).

I could never see buying any refurbished model, unless the company guaranteed that every single part in the unit has been replaced including knobs, heating elements, trays, metal casing, etc. You can never tell how long the previous owner had it, how hard they used it, and what exactly has been refurbished. There's too good a chance that another overused part could go.
Just think of buying a used car. You never can tell what you're really getting, and have to expect a decent amount of annual maintenance as other parts start to go.

sevimli 02-08-2013 07:43 AM

best toaster ever! I got it for $90 around thanksgiving.

Jump on it!

BrianC811 02-08-2013 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gibsonbass (Post 57445552)
Kinda small.

A bigger toaster oven is counter intuitive and almost silly to me...

I had a "4 slice" Delonghi that worked well, upgraded to a "6 slice" Oster with convection and now basic toasting functions take 3-4x's as long because there's so much more area to heat up.

This seems like a good size to me, but I guess it's all about your purpose - mine is to have a toaster that doubles as an oven, not the other way around.

l0l 02-08-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gibsonbass (Post 57445552)
Kinda small.

This is not to replace your regular oven, but is handy for 90% of the baking need. I find the size is perfect for the scarce countertop real estate.

wildta 02-08-2013 07:54 AM

Had mine since 2004. Best toaster over. I've had 0 issues with mine since then and I was really worried when Panasonic discontinued them since mine was so old and I wanted to update mine to stainless steel since I have white. Glad they brought it back. I might buy my SS color now just in case they get discontinued again.

Seriously the fastest toast ever! I love this toaster.

SmellyCat 02-08-2013 07:56 AM

will give it a try!

need a toaster, the normal toaster ovens are too large. this should fit the bill!

HomieG 02-08-2013 07:58 AM

Add me to the list of folks who have the original version of this. It's been great. Had it for about 10 years now. Get's used daily. Makes great toast. Great to reheat stuff in. And bake, like frozen french fries. Glad to see Panasonic came out with a newer version. While ours is still working, who knows how long that will last. Will buy this as a replacement, for sure!

RichTes 02-08-2013 08:19 AM

Does it have a crumb tray? The lack of one is why the current toaster oven is on it's way out.

bobbutts 02-08-2013 08:45 AM

Love the previous model. Superior to conventional toasters in every way.

fymfaholes 02-08-2013 08:55 AM

If you opted for the Breville at $249, then you should consider instead buying a good convection oven. Once I did, I pitched the toaster ovens. And I use a toaster for toast, because they make much better toast and take up less space on the counter top.

The difference between the cheaper stove and the convection stove is only about $150-$250. And it is better overall for everything.

And it is self cleaning!!

m509272 02-08-2013 09:04 AM

Assuming it is the same as the old one, at bottom, easily slide out crumb tray.

As far as broil, well I just put a large chicken breast in a glass dish and it takes about 12 minutes to cook it at 390. My wife makes fish in it all the time same way. Heat up pizza, no brainer.

Even though mine is still working tempted to buy another just in case mine goes. After all it's been going strong for more years than I can remember. So happy to see it back in production. My backup plan up until now was to take the one my parents have!!!

Ahhhh, just bought one. I'll put the somewhat grungy white one I have into the attic as my spare :-)

ppsagehen 02-08-2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hilaryshotlips (Post 57449860)

I could never see buying any refurbished model, unless the company guaranteed that every single part in the unit has been replaced including knobs, heating elements, trays, metal casing, etc. You can never tell how long the previous owner had it, how hard they used it, and what exactly has been refurbished. There's too good a chance that another overused part could go.
Just think of buying a used car. You never can tell what you're really getting, and have to expect a decent amount of annual maintenance as other parts start to go.

fair enough. i have had a great experience with my breville, it is the best appliance i've owned. have never regretted buying it refurb.

tylai 02-08-2013 09:13 AM

Still using mine over 8 years and I love it. I bought one for my mom.

supernoman 02-08-2013 09:16 AM

Got this a few weeks back from JandR with a $10 coupon code. Cheaper since there was no tax. Still in box though. :p

bizi 02-08-2013 09:21 AM

Had NB-G100P (previous model) for a few years and it has worked fine. Recently it developed a problem that tends to shut itself off at middle of baking or toasting.
G100P has good size (square pan), nice control panel (easy to use "frozen pizza", "quick reheat" settings etc.) and heats up pretty fast. One small issue is that the feet don't stick to the counter top (moves when you push the buttons) and also it doesn't have enough control of "shades" for toasting.

I'm not sure it is that much "superior" to other modern toaster ovens though. I have a much cheaper Kenmore now, and the heating elements look similar. Panasonic seems to "light up" faster, the overall toast or baking time is not much different however. For baking, I feel the Panasonic tends to heat up the surface better than inside and the temperature across the pan is not very even either, probably because the pan is a bit deep for the single tube heater (one tube on top, one tube on bottom just like some others) .
Overall it is a good product if the price is right, but it's not magically better than others and has its draw backs.

dustindt 02-08-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

This or Breville?

Ive got both, or at least the old version of this, and the Breville is way more capable. It can control the top and bottom elements independently and is larger so it can hold a whole frozen pizza. Don't get me wrong, I love my Panasonic and its worked well every time i use it for the last 8 years, but its only really good at toast and reheating food. You can use the Breville as a complete oven replacement if you get creative.

HeroTakesAFall 02-08-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustindt (Post 57452156)
Ive got both, or at least the old version of this, and the Breville is way more capable. It can control the top and bottom elements independently and is larger so it can hold a whole frozen pizza. Don't get me wrong, I love my Panasonic and its worked well every time i use it for the last 8 years, but its only really good at toast and reheating food. You can use the Breville as a complete oven replacement if you get creative.

Good info. But where on earth can you get a Breville anywhere close to this price? Aren't we kinda comparing apples to oranges here?

bignuts34 02-08-2013 09:45 AM

just pulled the trigger.....is this better then convection oven?

fymfaholes 02-08-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bignuts34 (Post 57452686)
just pulled the trigger.....is this better then convection oven?

No toaster oven is better than a quality convection oven. Not even the toaster ovens that claim to be convection ovens. And none of them make good toast.

hilaryshotlips 02-08-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sevimli (Post 57449948)
best toaster ever!

I would never pay $90 for just a toaster.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomieG (Post 57450294)
Had it for about 10 years now. Get's used daily. Makes great toast. Great to reheat stuff in.

How about cooking? I used my current Delonghi toaster/oven to reheat chicken, bake and broil fish, broil turkey burgers and steaks, as well as for occasional toast

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylai (Post 57451892)
Still using mine over 8 years and I love it

Do you use it for broiling steaks and turkey burgers? From everything I'm reading, you have to wrap food in foil for fear the juices from the meat spray onto the heating elements. With my Delonghi, you put some foil on the metal pan and were good to go.

I also hear the Panasonic NG-110p comes with a non-stick pan which is problematic for some due to the materials used in making non-stick products.

eeagle 02-08-2013 11:51 AM

Well we've had both the Panasonic and the Breville. The Breville currently occupies a place in our kitchen and the Panasonic is on a shelf in the garage awaiting the next garage sale.

The Panasonic made great toast and that was it. We constantly missed the ability to bake a potato, reheat a casserole etc

hilaryshotlips 02-08-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eeagle (Post 57455682)
Well we've had both the Panasonic and the Breville. The Breville currently occupies a place in our kitchen and the Panasonic is on a shelf in the garage awaiting the next garage sale. The Panasonic made great toast and that was it. We constantly missed the ability to bake a potato, reheat a casserole etc

Unless someone states the opposite of what you wrote, I can't see buying the Panasonic then. My old $60 Delonghi reheats everything and does a great job of broiling steaks and burgers as well as baking fish. It toasts evenly, too.

Why is everyone so keen on this Panasonic if all it really does is make good toast and not have a broil (top heating element) setting?

agent00f 02-08-2013 01:55 PM

This oven uses fundamentally superior technology to traditional heating elements such as those in a Breville or a typical range. The various IR bulbs can modulate much more quickly which when paired with intelligent sensors control cooking very accurately.

It's how the oven always reheats & crisps perfectly in 6-8min (times akin to a microwave) without ever burning. A old-fashioned metal rod or even quartz element simply cannot do this.

These used to sell for hundreds USED on ebay when Panasonic stopped making them such was their following.

cequalspid 02-08-2013 01:58 PM

The question is, are these as good as the original ones. What's changed and where have they cut corners (if any)?

agent00f 02-08-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lessblue (Post 57458626)
The question is, are these as good as the original ones. What's changed and where have they cut corners (if any)?

According to the reviewers, it looks to be the exact same thing with new labels. This is good. I got one earlier today as a backup for when my existing G100P fails (but got beaten by the OP to posting the deal).

hilaryshotlips 02-08-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agent00f (Post 57458572)
This oven uses fundamentally superior technology to traditional heating elements such as those in a Breville or a typical range. The various IR bulbs can modulate much more quickly which when paired with intelligent sensors control cooking very accurately.

It's how the oven always reheats & crisps perfectly in 6-8min (times akin to a microwave) without ever burning. A old-fashioned metal rod or even quartz element simply cannot do this.

If that's the case, why don't I read about anyone mentioning that they make steaks and burgers, and bake fish magnificently. All I see noted is how great the toast is! I wouldn't mind buying it if I could read how great the steaks or burgers taste, and that it cooks perfectly in the center.

agent00f 02-08-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hilaryshotlips (Post 57459324)
If that's the case, why don't I read about anyone mentioning that they make steaks and burgers, and bake fish magnificently. All I see noted is how great the toast is! I wouldn't mind buying it if I could read how great the steaks or burgers taste, and that it cooks perfectly in the center.

You can cook steak, etc, perfectly in a generic $50 circular halogen oven, which is certainly easier still than a fickle traditional oven. It's really more a matter of technique in how to apply the heat.

The "magic" of this oven is in its automated innards which tracks the heating/cooking and gives good results whatever you do, so the learning process is much quicker.

The other secret IR sauce is that its super-fast cooking times are mostly due to almost instantaneous preheat AND its ability to maintain target temp as if it were an infinitely large oven (better than even a large range which will still vary with load). The cheap halogen ovens also do this well, but without the intelligence, wider IR band, or two-sided heating; thus they require more tending.

s.myrr 02-08-2013 06:15 PM

I bought this with my Panasonic direct discount for $99 a couple weeks ago - we love it. Nice and compact and cooks fast. Old toaster oven went to my work.

This is an excellent deal!

hilaryshotlips 02-08-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agent00f (Post 57460108)
The "magic" of this oven is in its automated innards which tracks the heating/cooking and gives good results whatever you do, so the learning process is much quicker.

Have you broiled a steak using this or cooked a hamburger or turkey burger? I'm going to scan those Amazon reviews again and see what they're cooking up with this unit. I keep reading that this unit doesn't broil.

broadwayblue 02-08-2013 06:34 PM

Is it true it always burns the bottom of your toast?

Syber7 02-08-2013 06:42 PM

Apparently young children are like moths to a flame with this thing.

Jump to 4:00 > Link [youtube.com]

discord 02-08-2013 09:15 PM

i <3 panasonic

neonneon 02-08-2013 09:17 PM

Four pages in this thread, and no one seems to be able to vouch for its ability to bake? :dontknow: I see multiple people asking, but no real answers. Did I miss it somewhere? :confused:

ohnims 02-08-2013 09:31 PM

I've been wanting to get a toaster oven that Subway/Starbucks has. I'm not sure if this would do the trick?

errdayallday 02-08-2013 09:43 PM

what kind of tv is this?

nazzster 02-08-2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by errdayallday (Post 57466648)
what kind of tv is this?

One you can find in "Hot Deals"

bens_brother 02-08-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by errdayallday (Post 57466648)
what kind of tv is this?

no hdmi on this model kills this TV deal for you? :eek:

harry411 02-08-2013 09:59 PM

It's the best toaster. It's fast and easy to use. I have been using it for 4 years. Just bought another one for back up.

hou1960 02-08-2013 10:07 PM

this oven doesn't "bake" it only "toast"

nycmart 02-08-2013 10:11 PM

Which one is best one to make BBQ chicken?

errdayallday 02-08-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bens_brother (Post 57466746)

no, screen too small, i like it big like in the 40"s

Baddogdaddy 02-08-2013 10:27 PM

I'm wondering how this does with frozen French fries, chicken fingers, mozzarella sticks etc. ive heard that this style of toaster oven cooks deep fryer foods really well. Can anyone confirm this? I'm mostly concerned with getting these foods crispy without having to deep fry them. Reps for an answer! Thanks.

harry411 02-08-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baddogdaddy (Post 57467106)
I'm wondering how this does with frozen French fries, chicken fingers, mozzarella sticks etc. ive heard that this style of toaster oven cooks deep fryer foods really well. Can anyone confirm this? I'm mostly concerned with getting these foods crispy without having to deep fry them. Reps for an answer! Thanks.

Yes, it cooks frozen fries very well. It takes 20 mins to cook cripspy fries.

solidsnatcher 02-08-2013 10:57 PM

9" pizzas are too small, would hit the trigger if it could fit at least a 12".

PowerForce 02-08-2013 11:05 PM

Delete.

spextar 02-08-2013 11:06 PM

Man, reminds me of the early days of slickdeals...

Cartier 02-08-2013 11:35 PM

Have had mine for years, the original, use it nearly every day.
Awesome for a bachelor.
Sometimes I have 'frozen food' night,
Pop frozen fries, frozen fishsticks, frozen chicken fingers, a frozen egg roll, couple frozen mozzarella sticks, set it to 20 miners and go surf Slick Deals till I hear it 'ding' when done.
A totino's pizza fits great.
One really nice thing about it is how well it reheats things like leftover pizza, or other leftovers, yum!
Highly recommend this for quick, no hassle cookin.
I picked up a box of the 500qty 9inch foil sheets to line the tray, no real cleanup, just toss the sheet. (or fold it in half to get a slick 2nd use out of it)

I think an element went out (infra-red, can I tell if it's out??)
Where do you order a replacement bulb?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baddogdaddy (Post 57467106)

Baddogdaddy 02-08-2013 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cartier (Post 57467750)
Awesome for a bachelor.
Pop frozen fries, frozen fishsticks, frozen chicken fingers, a frozen egg roll, couple frozen mozzarella sticks, set it to 20 miners and go surf Slick Deals till I hear it 'ding' when done.
One really nice thing about it is how well it reheats things like leftover pizza, or other leftovers, yum!
I picked up a box of the 500qty 9inch foil sheets to line the tray, no real cleanup, just toss the sheet. (or fold it in half to get a slick 2nd use out of it)

Exactly the answer I was hoping for.thanks! My wife and i do finger food nights and the deep fryer is a pain. Great idea with the foil sheets, I'm going to hunt them down. Repped!

bosetl 02-09-2013 01:34 AM

Quote:

Awesome for a bachelor.

Finally! Someone who answered the question we all really wanted to know! Thank YOU!

atari 02-09-2013 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichTes (Post 57450694)
Does it have a crumb tray? The lack of one is why the current toaster oven is on it's way out.

Yes it does.

hilaryshotlips 02-09-2013 05:35 AM

Quote:

Awesome for a bachelor.
Pop frozen fries, frozen fishsticks, frozen chicken fingers, a frozen egg roll, couple frozen mozzarella sticks, set it to 20 miners and go surf Slick Deals till

You've never used it to cook a steak or burgers? I'm not looking for a toaster/oven to just heat frozen foods or make toast. Obviously, if it can thaw out frozen food and heat it, it must be able to cook a steak. Am I correct in stating that there's no broil feature? Does that it mean it doesn't have a top heating element? Has anyone at all cooked a simple burger with this unit?
I haven't used an oven in years to cook a steak. My Delonghi toaster/oven was able to do this.

ktg 02-09-2013 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broadwayblue (Post 57463702)
Is it true it always burns the bottom of your toast?

I also have the original version, which appears functionally identical to this one. Mine has always browned the bottom more than the top, although it has never burnt it. More of a cosmetic issue than a real problem in my opinion. If somehow you could move the rack up a half inch, it would probably be more even; but there's no option to do that.

The older model would periodically drop down to $59 at Amazon (I posted one of those deals back in 2007). At that price, it was a no-brainer, and if it was still that price, I would actually be tempted to pick up a backup. But at $90 (plus sales tax, which Amazon wasn't collecting back in 2007) it's hard for me to be as enthusiastic. In fact, I saw this deal pop up at Amazon 2 days ago, and intentionally didn't post it, since I just didn't think Panasonic had added an extra $30+ in value to the device since 2007.

jreuschl 02-09-2013 05:56 AM

Would this cook frozen fish well or no?

TidalWaveOne 02-09-2013 06:11 AM

I assume this uses less energy than a typical toaster oven because it cooks faster and more efficiently?

Ch3apSk8 02-09-2013 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spextar (Post 57467514)
Man, reminds me of the early days of slickdeals...

Did you get the deal with the free Nordic Ware set?

GunMan 02-09-2013 07:10 AM

What can this do for someone who has a $5 slickdeal toaster and $10 slickdeal traditional toaster oven and thinks that those do everything he needs?

Do they make a stainless version to match brushed stainless appliances?

werds 02-09-2013 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baddogdaddy (Post 57467800)
Exactly the answer I was hoping for.thanks! My wife and i do finger food nights and the deep fryer is a pain. Great idea with the foil sheets, I'm going to hunt them down. Repped!

I use our deep fryer at home regularly, I used to hate the cleanup and the storage process with my old fryer. Bought a different fryer last spring and it has been worth it! the self flitering and storage are simple and make cleanup and storage great (i like the low profile storage container too!) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/...04_s00_i00

That said, I have been eyeing up a small toaster oven for those times that we need to quick heat a snack or lunch for our daughters... =)

broadwayblue 02-09-2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktg (Post 57469444)
I also have the original version, which appears functionally identical to this one. Mine has always browned the bottom more than the top, although it has never burnt it. More of a cosmetic issue than a real problem in my opinion. If somehow you could move the rack up a half inch, it would probably be more even; but there's no option to do that.

The older model would periodically drop down to $59 at Amazon (I posted one of those deals back in 2007). At that price, it was a no-brainer, and if it was still that price, I would actually be tempted to pick up a backup. But at $90 (plus sales tax, which Amazon wasn't collecting back in 2007) it's hard for me to be as enthusiastic. In fact, I saw this deal pop up at Amazon 2 days ago, and intentionally didn't post it, since I just didn't think Panasonic had added an extra $30+ in value to the device since 2007.

Thanks. That and the fact you apparently can't heat a typical size frozen pizza in this model is enough to make me pass.

ulall 02-09-2013 08:09 AM

had the original model since 2004. Still works flawlessly even though it has not been kept as clean as it should be. We use it at least 4-5 times a day -- toaster, reheat and even cook some things

Prior to this we were going through a Black & Decker or Procter Silex etc 4 slice toaster bought for $15-30 almost every other year
No comparison in terms of performance either . This one works perfectly each time

tempted to buy another one even though I am not sure why I should

jeopardy 02-09-2013 08:50 AM

Someone asked if Panasonic sells replacement bulbs for the earlier model that many of us have and love. The Panasonic site says they do not, unfortunately.

So I'm in for two -- one for us when ours finally bites the dust after many many years of faithful service, and one for my sister. Thank you OP -- been waiting on a deal on this.

One other note -- we line the bottom of ours with foil, which helps a lot with the mess, but I think it also affects the way it bakes. We also use those foil sheets from the warehouse store, and I think that might affect it too, but again it's very nice for cleanup. Like others have said, there's a learning curve with using it, especially for longer cooking times.

For us it seems to have a little longer times for warming up food than a microwave, but without the food coming out like rubber. For cooking food, it is way faster than a conventional oven. The longer the cooking time in the recipe for a regular oven, the bigger the difference. For example, a 10-minute oven time might be 5 minutes in this oven, while a 30-minute oven time might be only 10 minutes in this oven. You just have to play with it. We love it for baking potatoes especially in the summer, since it runs so much faster -- big difference in how much it heats the kitchen.

agent00f 02-09-2013 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hilaryshotlips (Post 57463634)
Have you broiled a steak using this or cooked a hamburger or turkey burger? I'm going to scan those Amazon reviews again and see what they're cooking up with this unit. I keep reading that this unit doesn't broil.

"Broiling" is just max radiative heat on top. If you just turn the temp to max and use the tray it does exactly this. It also temp controls so you can "broil" at any temp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by errdayallday (Post 57467070)
...too small, i like it big like in the 40"s

That's what she said.

agent00f 02-09-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syber7 (Post 57463826)
Apparently young children are like moths to a flame with this thing.

Jump to 4:00 > Link [youtube.com]

I've seen that "review". Staring at it is not a problem since the lamps are still dimmer than a sunny day so your eyes will adjust just as they do when you step outside. It's only relatively bright for indoors. And frankly the oven isn't the problem if the most attractive thing going on in the house is staring at a toaster.

agent00f 02-09-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broadwayblue (Post 57470872)
Thanks. That and the fact you apparently can't heat a typical size frozen pizza in this model is enough to make me pass.

The pizza I typically cook in this is the Tony's brand in square form. Perfect fit:

http://www.tonys.com/products-ori...pizzas.htm

hilaryshotlips 02-09-2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeopardy (Post 57471514)
One other note -- we line the bottom of ours with foil, which helps a lot with the mess, but I think it also affects the way it bakes. We also use those foil sheets from the warehouse store, and I think that might affect it too, but again it's very nice for cleanup.

You just have to play with it. We love it for baking potatoes especially in the summer, since it runs so much faster -- big difference in how much it heats the kitchen.

1) What's wrong with just tearing off a piece Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil like I do with my Delonghi metal pan?

2) One more time - have you cooked a steak or a burger with this? If so, is it as good as cooking with an oven? I find that my Delonghi cooked even better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ulall (Post 57470914)
We use it at least 4-5 times a day -- toaster, reheat and even cook some things.

"Even cook some things"? I'm amazed at two things here. The first is why spend $90 or more on a small oven if you're not going to use it to cook almost everything - fish, meat, etc. Secondly, I'm surprised at how much toast is being made in this thread! Hasn't everyone heard that you should cut down on bread and carbs?! :shake:

I just looked at the deep fryer link that someone posted. Amazon should sell this thing with a coupon for an angiogram!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AOMA68

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktg (Post 57469444)
I also have the original version..The older model would periodically drop down to $59 at Amazon (I posted one of those deals back in 2007). But at $90 (plus sales tax, which Amazon wasn't collecting back in 2007) it's hard for me to be as enthusiastic... I just didn't think Panasonic had added an extra $30+ in value to the device since 2007.

Has gasoline added anything in value since it's gone up almost 100% since 2007? How about autos and a 10% or more increase. Has orange juice added anything since it's increased about 15% in price and reduced it's 64 oz. container by 5 oz? The same could be said of fruit and vegetables and everything else. The 35% price increase is more than it should be, but it's just a sign of the times.

milpool 02-09-2013 09:32 AM

If you have kids who eat chicken nuggets, fish sticks, and the like, then this oven is a time saver and a no-brainer

jamey1010 02-09-2013 09:44 AM

I had had the older version and one of the heating elements went out and I was able to find a replacement although it was a few years ago so I can't recall where from but they do exist.

I went from that one to the Cusinart TOB-195 and I got to admit the settings where a lot easier on the Panasonic with the Cusinart it always takes several button pushes to get anything cooking although it does a great job and I felt heating was more even. Plus I think it's lasted longer than the Panasonic did.

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-T...en+tob-195

Costco had these was $99 at one point I didn't seem them listed anymore ;(

http://archive.slickdeals.net/f/1007921-Cuisinart-Convection-Toaster-Oven-Broiler-110-Free-3-Pack-Prep-Boards-After-MIR?

bizi 02-09-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jreuschl (Post 57469604)
Would this cook frozen fish well or no?

If you mean packaged battered fish or fish sticks, it works fine. It should be able to bake some fish fillet as well although I haven't tried myself. It is not much different from other toaster ovens. It seems to cook fast on the outside, but harder to get to inside if the food is thick. It does small pizza well though.
A small toaster oven is a good addition to most kitchens, and this is just one of them. It has some nice "one button cooking" feature (easy to operate), but I don't think the performance is better or worse than many others. There are others half of the price, also some double the price. I haven't tried small convection ovens (saw one in Costco some time ago), should compare with those next time.

ktg 02-09-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hilaryshotlips (Post 57472092)
Has gasoline added anything in value since it's gone up almost 100% since 2007? How about autos and a 10% or more increase. Has orange juice added anything since it's increased about 15% in price and reduced it's 64 oz. container by 5 oz? The same could be said of fruit and vegetables and everything else. The 35% price increase is more than it should be, but it's just a sign of the times.

You're right, especially about the 'more than it should be' part. But we're not talking about a 35% price increase in this case...in my case, it's 60% [($96 with tax -$60 old price)/$60 = 60% relative increase]. I don't question that you and others here might be able to absorb or otherwise rationalize that sort of increase, but it exceeds my Slickdealers' sense of value. I can't hide from the increased cost of gas unfortunately, but in the current economy, I can do without buying a back-up toaster oven just because my other one is getting a bit old.

At $90 I would still recommend it if someone actually needed a new toaster oven, since there doesn't seem to be a similarly-priced competitor that seems as durable and as highly-reviewed. It would just be a lot easier to recommend if it were closer to $60.

jeopardy 02-09-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hilaryshotlips (Post 57472092)
1) What's wrong with just tearing off a piece Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil like I do with my Delonghi metal pan?

2) One more time - have you cooked a steak or a burger with this? If so, is it as good as cooking with an oven? I find that my Delonghi cooked even better.

I don't mind tearing off a piece of foil, but the sheets were just uber convenient. And I haven't cooked anything like a steak or burger with this, because 1) I don't cook much of anything anymore since I became a teacher and work 60-70 hours a week and 2) I have a husband who cooks stuff like that on the grill because he enjoys it and he's good at it.

A long time ago in a galaxy far away, I did do some baking in it, although like others have said, it seems to do better in cooking flatter things rather than thicker things. So depending on how you make your burgers or what cut of steak you're talking about, you might have success or you might not. Also if you like your steak more rare inside, then this could work too. I think this might be better than a regular oven for steak, since it tends to cook the outside more than the inside, which most people tend to prefer on steak anyway. But for hamburgers, they might come out raw inside, and that's no good!

agent00f 02-09-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hilaryshotlips;57472092

"Even cook[I
some things[/I]"? I'm amazed at two things here. The first is why spend $90 or more on a small oven if you're not going to use it to cook almost everything - fish, meat, etc. Secondly, I'm surprised at how much toast is being made in this thread! Hasn't everyone heard that you should cut down on bread and carbs?! :shake:

You can basically replace a microwave with this thing and do a better job, and decent microwaves are ~100 by themselves.

The oven isn't designed for pure cooking, in part due to its size (ie a chicken won't fit), but that doesn't mean near IR heating isn't better for that, too, in just about every way. Just look up reviews for NuWave oven, etc which all use IR bulbs and by accounts cooks very well. This is wider band/smarter than the NuWave.

Steak/burger is fine, but grill or sous vide is better for those. I'm not going to cook those in an oven anyway when better alternatives are available.

agent00f 02-09-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeopardy (Post 57473160)
I don't mind tearing off a piece of foil, but the sheets were just uber convenient. And I haven't cooked anything like a steak or burger with this, because 1) I don't cook much of anything anymore since I became a teacher and work 60-70 hours a week and 2) I have a husband who cooks stuff like that on the grill because he enjoys it and he's good at it.

A long time ago in a galaxy far away, I did do some baking in it, although like others have said, it seems to do better in cooking flatter things rather than thicker things. So depending on how you make your burgers or what cut of steak you're talking about, you might have success or you might not. Also if you like your steak more rare inside, then this could work too. I think this might be better than a regular oven for steak, since it tends to cook the outside more than the inside, which most people tend to prefer on steak anyway. But for hamburgers, they might come out raw inside, and that's no good!

The reason why the burgers are raw on the inside is due to inadequate _time_ in the oven. This oven heats up so fast (and you're so used to it for normal reheating) that there's insufficient time for adequate heat to conduct to the center of the meat. This oven is pretty nifty, but it doesn't violate the laws of physics.

The solution is to use lower temp for a longer period, and only jack it up at the end if you want a charred surface. Look us sous vide for the extreme example of this.

To cook well, one must understand what's going with the heat in the food. The panasonic is about as good as heat transition gets, which is why I use it over all other appliances for most reheat jobs and small baking jobs. The only possible improvement is if they add microwave heating in conjunction with near IR, but that can be impractical in a home appliance.

hilaryshotlips 02-09-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktg (Post 57472826)
You're right, especially about the 'more than it should be' part. But we're not talking about a 35% price increase in this case...in my case, it's 60% [($96 with tax -$60 old price)/$60 = 60% relative increase].

Relating to price increases, I was thinking of the old list price which was around $105 in comparison to the current list of $140 for this unit. Was that $60 price for the old unit a one time BF deal or was it the regular sale price? If this unit doesn't sell at a $90 sale price, expect the next slickdeal to be $80.

I was just searching the web for some Consumer Report reviews and other than the expensive Brevilles, they seem to really like the Oster TSSTTVMNDG.
http://news.consumerreports.org/home/2012/09/sure-that-20-toaster-oven-is-a-bargain-but-can-it-make-toast.html
Quote:

It's harder to clean and operate than both Brevilles, but it's just as good at broiling and baking, and it also makes very good toast, whether a full batch or single slice. Costing $80, the Oster TSSTTVMNDG sn't exactly dirt cheap, but it should allow you to get your money's worth.
It's $80 at Walmart but out of stock online. There's alot of good reviews by Walmart customers and they give 4.5 stars:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Oster-Convection-Toaster-Oven/13729290

This reviewer liked it alot, too, but mentions something about the wires not being grounded and the back of the unit getting too hot.

http://toasterovenreviewshq.org/oster-tssttvmndg-toaster-oven-reviews

Anyone have experience with this Oster?

Padmakumara 02-09-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

This or Breville?

There's one review here from someone who bought the Breville and this Panasonic and she says the Breville isn't worth the price but is a good unit (for families): http://www.amazon.com/review/RHGM...MXHGJJEK08

11peach 02-09-2013 01:52 PM

Amazon charge taxes now in AZ. I'm not going to buy from them. Anyone know if NewEgg will match price? thanks.

Padmakumara 02-09-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktg (Post 57472826)
At $90 I would still recommend it if someone actually needed a new toaster oven, since there doesn't seem to be a similarly-priced competitor that seems as durable and as highly-reviewed. It would just be a lot easier to recommend if it were closer to $60.

I been using a Panasonic vacuum cleaner for decades and have also a Panasonic rice cooker. They seem to make durable consumer goods so I have no problem ordering a toaster oven from them.

I do need a toaster oven. Been using a Black and Decker that I got for $9 from a thrift store. Problem with regular toaster ovens, if it's really cold in kitchen, it will sometimes take 30% longer to cook because it takes time to heat up.

Seems like this toaster oven works by light. If that is the case, something like meat wouldn't cook well because the light can't penetrate. Bread, however, is susceptible to light penetration, so it would work.

At $90 there are indeed cheaper toaster ovens, but what appeals to me is the lack of pre-heating required. If the oven does indeed speed up cook times by double as some have attested here, it pays for itself. When it's morning, you need to goto work, and you have only bagel or toast for eating, you need that thing toasted ASAP! I don't know how many times I did not bother to toast with my other oven because it just took too long.

I'm a single person who likes hash browns and tater tots. I've also had a hankering for bagel toasted with butter lately and like to toast my bread sometimes for sandwiches. I can definitely find use for this toaster oven. However, I must say, I do like to make salmon patties and it looks like this Panasonic won't do those, so it's really giving me pause to purchase.

Thanks to the person who gave the link for Viewpoints on Youtube, I'd rep you if I could find your post. Looks like really good reviews that I appreciate. Can't go wrong with a panel of middle aged females' opinions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohnims (Post 57466458)
I've been wanting to get a toaster oven that Subway/Starbucks has. I'm not sure if this would do the trick?

Costco Business Center has the commercial toaster ovens for sale. Don't know if they have exactly what you wanter, but the prices were surprisingly affordable. I should do more shopping over there. I always like to think the restaurants have the best stuff cause they have to. I really like their microwave by Sharp. It has the rotary dial for superfast and intuitive time inputs. I don't know why they use a rotary dial input for all microwaves. I already have 2 microwaves though so I don't need it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mospeed (Post 57476774)
So this is like a massive easy bake oven?

It certainly looks that way, but I think a more proper analogy would be an Easy Bake Oven on steroids because this Panasonic uses an infrared light which is considerably more powerful than an Easy Bake Oven. This Panasonic would probably bake the same pastry in less than half the time of the Easy Bake Oven.

mospeed 02-09-2013 03:19 PM

So this is like a massive easy bake oven?

jimuk 02-09-2013 03:29 PM

Can you bake Pizza in this?

Padmakumara 02-09-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimuk (Post 57476908)
Can you bake Pizza in this?

Here's a small pizza being made in this toaster oven:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fw3-BWmSpI

Bigredhunk 02-09-2013 04:17 PM

Looks like a nice product. I saw the $10 instant coupon when I was looking at my GB quick picks yesterday.

Don't think it's for me. We have a nice Cusinart toaster oven/convection oven from Costco. I'd love something that did toast in a flash (the Cuisinart doesn't...not sure if this does either). What I'm really holding out for is something for cooking things like a regular size (Digiorno) frozen pizza. I don't like running the oven in the summer b/c it has to battle the AC and it drives up electricity usage big time. I'd love something that could be a small replacement for our oven. I almost bit on that Sears Kenmore microwave with an oven drawer thing last week. Hoping something good comes along.

MeAmSuperman 02-09-2013 04:47 PM

So I'm still kinda unclear...is this more so like the subway toaster? I usually don't cook in the standard toaster oven I have. I usually use it for frozen Mozzarella sticks, frozen pita bread, reheating pizza slices and ofcourse, bread. My current toaster does all that fine but if this is similar to the subway one where it will toast it in a matter of 60 seconds then I'd find it suitable for me.

GunMan 02-09-2013 05:19 PM

Will this heat frozen fries and frozen onion rings better than anything else? Or do they turn out just as well on a pan in a regular oven or my $10 toaster oven?

kaabob 02-09-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supernoman (Post 57451944)
Got this a few weeks back from JandR with a $10 coupon code. Cheaper since there was no tax. Still in box though. :p

I have to keep factoring the Amazon tax nowadays. Didn't know it was available through J&R earlier. Drats.
Quote:

Originally Posted by bens_brother (Post 57466746)

And if it were a SSD or HDD , no SATA III?
Quote:

Awesome for a bachelor.

I'm sold!
I'd be reheating small / thin items and haven't baked a casserole or large item, ever! Perfect for the bachelor for who I am a member of ;)

mullen1200 02-09-2013 05:50 PM

In for 1 at my business. We have a tiny kitchen and this will be great for making toasted sandwiches and pizzas. We already have a deep fryer so we dont really need it for the frozen goods.

Padmakumara 02-09-2013 07:27 PM

Fry's is showing this for $99 with free shipping. It shows in stock at my local store.

pinkalmond 02-09-2013 07:31 PM

How does this compare with the Cuisinart TOB-40 [amazon.com]?

I like a really small one because my counter space is tiny!

GunMan 02-09-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenq (Post 57480402)
Fry's is showing this for $99 with free shipping. It shows in stock at my local store.

So that you may pay $10 more + tax?

How could so many people admit that they were "distracted" by the light?
Possibly the same people who are mesmorized by shiny objects?

GunMan 02-09-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkalmond (Post 57480464)
How does this compare with the Cuisinart TOB-40 [amazon.com]?

I like a really small one because my counter space is tiny!

The one you linked to is larger....

geniv 02-09-2013 09:02 PM

MUST RESIST BUYING!!!!

I have one of those round "flavorwave" IR Oven thingy already.

oldjb 02-09-2013 09:25 PM

I don't see the coupon. Do other people still see it?

Padmakumara 02-09-2013 10:59 PM

Quick Review

I decided to go down to Fry's to pick mines up. Just did my first test: a piece of toast. It didn't cook the bread any quicker than a normal toaster would, but then again, a normal toaster has nearly zero pre-heating time. Total time was about 2 mins before it beeped at me. Instructions said to line foil over the baking pan so I did. Not sure how it affects the way it cooks.

I should have taken a pic. Only one side of the toast was browned and it was pretty well browned, only some very small edges were burned but it was very slight. I turned it over and the bottom side was still completely white so I put it back in for about 20 seconds. Took it out and it was ok, looked like the temps inside were of too hot as part of it got brown in a hurry and it wasn't very even.

The instructions imply that the part of the food furthest back will get cooked a little better than the part of the food nearest the front. I guess it's pretty important to place the food dead center maybe a little more towards the back to get good even cooking.

The instructions say the light allows you to see the food while it's cooking to determine if it's done or not. The light is so bright, you really can't see anything. Even though my toast was slightly browned, I couldn't tell at all. All you can do is turn it off take it out and look at it to see how done it is. Maybe I should put on some sunglasses?

Next test perhaps will be either waffle or hash brown. Btw - when you turn it on, the light stays on, at least for toast. It's bright, looks like sunlight in there. I suppose if you live in Seattle like me and need to see some sunlight this model might actually double as a therapy light. :)

I'll play around with it some more later on. I haven't seen anything yet to make me want to return it outright. Maybe I can do a few things to make it cook better on both sides.

Ok, I just did 2 hash browns (one at a time). Took 5 mins for the first. Cooked it pretty good. I opened it during the cooking around the 2 1/2 minute mark and turned it over cause I didn't think it would cook both sides evenly. The hash brown was frozen solid, really hard. It could have been a little hotter and could have been cooked a little longer. Perhaps opening the unit up kind of messed up the cooking time? In any case, both sides were browned, didn't burn and it tasted good. Not too bad at all.

Changed the settings to maximum brown-ness for the second hash brown. It automatically set itself for 7 mins. I opened it up around the 3 1/2 minute mark and turned it over. It comes out hotter and a little better than the first. I'm getting better at cooking with this thing already!

I love hash browns so this could be a reason to keep this thing.

BIOHazard87 02-10-2013 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gymsock (Post 57446492)
Was seriously considering this until I read a bunch of reviews and see that it does not have a BROIL feature or even a BAKE option. It's mainly for toasting things, making 9" pizzas and reheating leftovers. Not sure if I could justify $89 for an oven that doesn't bake and broil.

Cooking modes:
• Toast
• Waffle
• Roll
• Pizza
• Quick
• Hash Brown

This is total crap. I've owned the NB-G100P for 11 years and it most definitely has a bake/broil option as well as this G110P.

You use the bake option by selecting an oven temperature instead of a cooking mode. Broil option is used by selecting 500F on the temperature setting.

DontTaxBeer 02-10-2013 12:14 AM

hard to shell out a c-note to replace my $10 black and decker toaster oven. after 10 years, it's still working perfectly. it toasts perfectly every time, so why replace it?

palmers 02-10-2013 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenq (Post 57482786)
I decided to go down to Fry's to pick mines up. Just did my first test: a piece of toast. It didn't cook the bread any quicker than a normal toaster would, but then again, a normal toaster has nearly zero pre-heating time. Total time was about 2 mins before it beeped at me. Instructions said to line foil over the baking pan so I did. Not sure how it affects the way it cooks.

I should have taken a pic. Only one side of the toast was browned and it was pretty well browned, only some very small edges were burned but it was very slight. I turned it over and the bottom side was still completely white so I put it back in for about 20 seconds. Took it out and it was ok, looked like the temps inside were of too hot as part of it got brown in a hurry and it wasn't very even.

The instructions imply that the part of the food furthest back will get cooked a little better than the part of the food nearest the front. I guess it's pretty important to place the food dead center maybe a little more towards the back to get good even cooking.

The instructions say the light allows you to see the food while it's cooking to determine if it's done or not. The light is so bright, you really can't see anything. Even though my toast was slightly browned, I couldn't tell at all. All you can do is turn it off take it out and look at it to see how done it is. Maybe I should put on some sunglasses?

Next test perhaps will be either waffle or hash brown. Btw - when you turn it on, the light stays on, at least for toast. It's bright, looks like sunlight in there. I suppose if you live in Seattle like me and need to see some sunlight this model might actually double as a therapy light. :)

I'll play around with it some more later on. I haven't seen anything yet to make me want to return it outright. Maybe I can do a few things to make it cook better on both sides.

Ok, I just did 2 hash browns (one at a time). Took 5 mins for the first. Cooked it pretty good. I opened it during the cooking around the 2 1/2 minute mark and turned it over cause I didn't think it would cook both sides evenly. The hash brown was frozen solid, really hard. It could have been a little hotter and could have been cooked a little longer. Perhaps opening the unit up kind of messed up the cooking time? In any case, both sides were browned, didn't burn and it tasted good. Not too bad at all.

Changed the settings to maximum brown-ness for the second hash brown. It automatically set itself for 7 mins. I opened it up around the 3 1/2 minute mark and turned it over. It comes out hotter and a little better than the first. I'm getting better at cooking with this thing already!

I love hash browns so this could be a reason to keep this thing.

FWIW i put my toast right on the rack. no pan. english muffins too. one round with the muffin face down and a second with it face up makes for my perfect cook on it.

you get used to the light after a little while. especially when you get your times down and don't have to stand in front of it the whole time.

damnthatsadeal 02-10-2013 03:14 AM

I totally thought this was a TV or some sort.

slackerace 02-10-2013 07:39 AM

Coupon disappeared. That is what I get for procrastinating. Crap.

agent00f 02-10-2013 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenq (Post 57475654)

Seems like this toaster oven works by light. If that is the case, something like meat wouldn't cook well because the light can't penetrate. Bread, however, is susceptible to light penetration, so it would work.

All ovens bake by IR "light". There is zero "penetration" unlike a microwave, and internal heating is all via conduction. This one just happens to use bulbs which radiate the food more directly (bouncing off the walls, etc) rather than a traditional oven which in large part uses its heavy/hot walls themselves to radiate/heat the air.

haruman 02-10-2013 08:45 AM

For CA folks or where amazon charges tax.

http://www.jr.com/panasonic/pe/PAN_NBG110/

add filler item:
http://www.jr.com/d-andrea/pe/DDR_EP24/

add 10 off 100 coupon: ATJANDR (on top of page)

+ free shipping = 90.60 no tax

agent00f 02-10-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenq (Post 57477010)
Here's a small pizza being made in this toaster oven:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fw3-BWmSpI

IMO pizzas are better when placed directly on the wire tray w/o the pan. One of the main benefits of this oven over the generic halogen bulb ones is that it has the element on the bottom to crisp the crust.

frank10 02-10-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slackerace (Post 57485796)
Coupon disappeared. That is what I get for procrastinating. Crap.

same here

fireballtp 02-10-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haruman (Post 57486612)
For CA folks or where amazon charges tax.

http://www.jr.com/panasonic/pe/PAN_NBG110/

add filler item:
http://www.jr.com/d-andrea/pe/DDR_EP24/

add 10 off 100 coupon: ATJANDR (on top of page)

+ free shipping = 90.60 no tax

Thanks... I was too slow to get amazon deal.. so this will help

Padmakumara 02-11-2013 09:02 PM

Ok, just toasted a bagel cut in half. It worked well, took 5 mins. Put the onion and chive cream cheese on it and I was in mini-heaven. Bagel was not over toasted or under toasted, it was just right and the heat even penetrated a little bit inside the bread. Even the side that was facing downward got toasted which surprised me cause the onions on my onion bagels actually stuck to the bottom of the pan.