Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Product Reviews (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Terrible Experience with Avas Flowers (http://slickdeals.net/e/5852862-terrible-experience-with-avas-flowers)

MtnTripp 02-12-2013 01:08 PM

Terrible Experience with Avas Flowers

Let me first start off saying this is only my experience and it could possibly be a one time deal... I wanted to order flowers for my wife as a pre-Valentine's day gift, just to show how she is special to me on everyday, not just Valentine's. Lets just say I ordered from the wrong company.
Here is the paraphrased email that I sent to their "Customer Service" (I removed some text that was either personnel information or repetitive):
"I have attached my receipt. I ordered the 6 Calla Lilies/12 Roses arrangement for my wife. What my wife received was 11 "Hybrid Lilies" (only 1 of which had even started to bloom) and 7 roses (that were well past their prime, having brown spots and beginning to wilt).
First problem, is that these are not the flowers that I had the intention of ordering. I realize now that you had a small warning tucked away at the end of the description tab about how the Calla Lilies may be substituted for "Hybrid Lilies". If your warning would have been more prominent then I would not have bought these to begin with, these Hybrid Lilies stink, set off my wife's allergies, and in my opinion are not attractive in a bouquet of roses. Calla Lilies are a lot more attractive, do not carry nearly as much pollen, do not stink, and happen to be my wife's favorite flower.
Second problem, is the value and appearance of the substituted arrangement. Taken directly from your website, "a great effort will be made to keep the same look and feel of the arrangement, using flowers of greater or equal value." How can you tell me that 11 Hybrid Lilies and 7 roses come up to the same value as what I ordered (12 roses/6 calla lilies). The appearance of the flowers is not even close to what I ordered, the white-to-red ratio will be completely when the 11 off-white/yellowed Hybrid Lilies start to bloom, they will completely overrun the 7 red roses (which will probably won't have any petals left by then anyways).
The third problem, is the quality and life cycle of the flowers, the Hybrid Lilies buds appear to be in good condition, but they are just buds, only one has started to bloom. The roses are already fully bloomed and are not in good condition. Most had brown spots on the petals, and appeared to be getting ready to wilt their petals off. So it seems that my wife will be able to enjoy the half-baked roses for another day or so, then a little while later she will be able to enjoy the hybrid lilies by having allergies.
I paid almost $64 (after a 15% discount) for your flowers and services. For the quality, value, and types of flowers my wife received, it would have been cheaper, less hassle, and more meaningful for me to take time off work go buy twice as many same quality flowers from a local grocery store and deliver them myself...
"

That concludes the problems with my first order.
I received a call the next day from their call center (in a foreign country btw) offering to good quality flowers with the correct order (6 calla lilies/12 roses) delivered again the very next day. It sounded like a good solution, so I told the guy that the flowers would have to be sent to my home address since my wife would not be at her office (which is located in another city) for a few days since it was the weekend.
...So the next day, Long story short the flowers were delivered to her WORK address AND they were 6 roses short, and nobody at their call center even knew they were delivered to the wrong address. Three days after they were delivered, my wife returned to work, you can only imagine the shape the flowers were in.
Needless to say, I have been trying to talk to a manager to get my money back for the past 5 business days. I have been juggled around between departments, had to tell my story to a dozen different people and left multiple messages with them to have their manager call me back since getting my money back "is not an option".
I have gotten multiple phone calls at random times from different members of the call center all needing me to explain my situation before they try and find a solution. The only solution they offer me 20% off my next purchase :mad:(Are you kidding me?). Not once have I ever gotten a manager or anyone would could even have the option of giving me a refund.

I highly recommend skipping over this company when considering ordering flowers online. I will update this post if any resolution is actually made. Sorry to be long-winded but believe it is necessary to explain the how frustrating this company has been.

EDIT 2/13
I received a phone call from them yesterday while at work, of course it was nobody in management. After about 10 minutes of describing the situation, yet again, and being offered 12 roses for a Valentine's day delivery, I finally gave up on being able to talk to a manager, and settled for a redelivery to my wife of my original order (12 roses/ 6 calla) lilies in about a week from now. I was assured that they would be fresh flowers, exactly what I ordered, and delivered to the correct address.
I have my fingers crossed

EDIT 2/14
So, here is another twist... last night while taking out the trash I noticed a flower box from Avas Flowers sitting on my back porch. After opening, they were exactly the same as the first batch that was sent to my wife's work (including all the same problems). I have no idea why I am getting more flowers sent to my home, I'm just praying that these are not the replacement flowers that were supposed to be sent to my wife's work next week. I did check my credit card, and I wasn't charged for these... just ready to be done with this.

MtnTripp 02-20-2013 09:08 AM

So this is the last edit to my post... if anybody cares :] I'm very iterested to hear from anybody else who ordered from this company.
Well in conclusion, my wife recieved flowers yesterday at her work (correct address, correct date, and correct types of flowers this time), however they were STILL worse quality than if I would have paid $20 at a local grocery store, at least then I could have picked flowers that didn't have so many brown spots! let me remind you that what I ordered in the first place was 12 roses and 6 calla lilies. Not once have they sent me any more than 7 roses... on top of all the other mishaps and problems, why on earth can I not get what I ordered?!
Quote:

Originally Posted by MtnTripp (Post 57533952)
Let me first start off saying this is only my experience and it could possibly be a one time deal...

I don't see how this could be just a one time deal anymore, considering that I have now recieved 4 sets of flowers through them, none of them being good quality (which I could have probably overlooked if it wasn't for all the other problems), always getting shorted by at least 5 roses, 2 times not the correct type of lilie (which could have been overlooked again since I did manage to find in the fine print where they mentioned they might have to switch the type of lilie), sent to the wrong address once, 2 times the lilies weren't even blooming but the roses were on their last wind, spending a few hours on the phone with their call center in India over multiple days, and leaving multiple message for a manager/supervisor to call me back (never did).
I imagine since they are an online company, they figure they can send out just about whatever they want to the recipient and the orderer will never know if they were the correct flowers, correct ammount, or even in decent condition, so they have probably been getting away with it many times, making a load of money by sending out less than what was paid for:soapbox: Moral: Support local florists not an online company.

gloria7819 03-21-2013 05:03 PM

I am new to posting, but I would suggest you go to a local florist and pick out what flowers you want and let them make the arrangement up and deliver it to your wife. Then you will know you are getting what you want.

MtnTripp 04-02-2013 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gloria7819 (Post 58378744)
I am new to posting, but I would suggest you go to a local florist and pick out what flowers you want and let them make the arrangement up and deliver it to your wife. Then you will know you are getting what you want.

Welcome Gloria! I'm fairly new as well.

Absolutely! Local florists can appear to be more pricey at first, but when ordering from online companies there is always $20+ shipping and handeling charges, the likely-hood that either your order will be screwed up or that you will get poor quality flowers, and nobody to hold accountable.

Fun Fact: I posted a negative (but fair) review for the flowers that I recieved the first time on the company's flower rating page and they didn't let it go on the website.

MtnTripp 02-03-2014 10:29 AM

Bump,
Valentine's is coming back around and wanted everyone to be aware of these online flower companies being SUCH A HEADACHE. If you care at all about the quality or or accuracy of flowers you send to someone then please call a local florist!

MarchBaby 03-11-2014 06:20 AM

WOW, that's quite an ordeal you've been through. Are you talking about AvasFlowers.com?

I ordered twice from them and the bouquets were beautiful. BUT, I didn't have very specific requirements: I just wanted a birthday arrangement for my daughter's birthday to be sent to her college dorm. And she loved what she received. And they hand delivered.

I hope your next flower ordering experience is better.

MtnTripp 03-14-2014 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adrianaco (Post 66692934)
WOW, that's quite an ordeal you've been through. Are you talking about AvasFlowers.com?

I ordered twice from them and the bouquets were beautiful. BUT, I didn't have very specific requirements: I just wanted a birthday arrangement for my daughter's birthday to be sent to her college dorm. And she loved what she received. And they hand delivered.

I hope your next flower ordering experience is better.

It was interesting to say the least. Yes it was AvasFlowers.com
After researching it makes sense, online order companies like AvasFlowers.com use certain "somewhat" local florists in order to fill their orders (and ship through FedEx or UPS). These florists don't get much profit off of these orders and often times those who place the order won't see the flowers, so the florists will cut corners to save money and because there is no accountability on their part (the customer will never know which florist their flowers came from, and if you complain all you get is the runaround and at best an offer to replace the flowers [which would more than likely come from the same florist who cut corners to begin with]).

On another note I've ordered from ProFlowers once before and the flowers that arrived looked great and lasted for weeks (though it was a simple order)... It could possibly be a hit or miss, I just happened missed 4 times in a row with one order from AvasFlowers, lol.

jstokes431 05-22-2014 04:05 PM

Wow. So sorry MtnTripp. After reading your experiences, I went to look at AvasFlowers.com and at the very top of the page it says "Five Star Rated Shopper Approved - See Our Ratings & Awards!"

I recently sent flowers from ProFlowers and had an amazing experience. The flowers were going to Philadelphia and so I took a risk. They did an awesome job. Of course it was my first order and it was not Valentine's Day when even the best florists may lose their normal excellent ratings due to the massive volume.

Your wife is very lucky to have such a devoted husband. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.

MtnTripp 05-27-2014 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jstokes431 (Post 68197580)
Wow. So sorry MtnTripp. After reading your experiences, I went to look at AvasFlowers.com and at the very top of the page it says "Five Star Rated Shopper Approved - See Our Ratings & Awards!"

I recently sent flowers from ProFlowers and had an amazing experience. The flowers were going to Philadelphia and so I took a risk. They did an awesome job. Of course it was my first order and it was not Valentine's Day when even the best florists may lose their normal excellent ratings due to the massive volume.

Your wife is very lucky to have such a devoted husband. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.

Thank you for your sympathy.
Ha, that is why I find it hard to believe any reviews that you find on a company's (or supplier's) website. They filter out the negative reviews because they don't want their sales to go down.
I'm glad your experience with ProFlowers was good, I had a good experience with them as well.
You did bring up a good point about the massive volume around Valentine's Day, and that could have been a big factor. The thing that really got to me was that there was absolutely no accountability for the original order (and the 3 replacements) being incorrect and poor.

jstokes431 05-27-2014 04:55 PM

I hear you MtnTripp. It's bad enough when you have to endure any type of problems with an order you are paying good money for. It's worse when there is no accountability. I see that so much these days and I always just shake my head and then cross that company off my list for future business.

I have been on the Customer Service end of a few companies over the years and I always offer an immediate apology right up front. I then bend over backwards to take responsibility.

Whether it's truly our fault or not doesn't matter. The Customer took the time to shop with the company, spend their hard earned money and are counting on getting what they ordered. They need to be totally taken care of so that they are 100% thrilled, even after a big problem occurs.

It's even worse when it's someone who is going out of their way to do something very special for a loved one, like in the case of your wife. That was so sweet how you were doing something so loving for her and the the florist messed it all up.

Very disappointing. I felt so bad for you when I read your account.

A friend of mine used to work for a huge florist here in Dallas where I live. She warned me never to order any type of flowers on Valentine's Day. My friend also told me because of the massive number of orders many florists will ship in frozen flowers from all over the world.

Because they've been frozen, they don't last long at all. She also told me the quality is often very poor because every one is frantically trying to make all the orders. My friend also said that flowers that might never make it out the door of a florist because they are in very bad shape, go out to meet the demands.

Based on her feedback she told me to order flowers a week before Valentines or 2 weeks after, but never for the big day.

Again, I hear you about no accountability. That would have made me very upset as well. Fingers crossed that ProFlowers continues to perform for both of us. Your wife is very lucky to have such a sweet husband.

Have a great week.

MtnTripp 05-28-2014 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jstokes431 (Post 68283058)
I hear you MtnTripp.
I have been on the Customer Service end of a few companies over the years and I always offer an immediate apology right up front. I then bend over backwards to take responsibility.

That's interesting, I have worked in Customer Service type positions for a number of years as well, I'm sure that is why this has bothered me so much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jstokes431 (Post 68283058)
Based on her feedback she told me to order flowers a week before Valentines or 2 weeks after, but never for the big day.

I actually placed the original order to be delivered a week or so before Valentines Day.
I've decided that I will buy local when I want to give flowers in the future, less of a hassle and get to help support local jobs.

jstokes431 05-29-2014 04:51 PM

Yes, working in Customer Service can make it all the more upsetting.

Next year we want to see photos. I'm sure you'll have awesome flowers. You're due. Good flower karma and all. :-)