Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Deal Talk (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Samsung HW-E450 Soundbar (refurb) $139.99 shipped (http://slickdeals.net/e/5856646-samsung-hw-e450-soundbar-refurb-139-99-shipped)

Harold 02-14-2013 12:41 PM

Samsung HW-E450 Soundbar (refurb) $139.99 shipped

1 Attachment(s)
Tiger Direct is selling the Samsung HW-E450 soundbar (refurbished) through it's ebay site for $139.99 with free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-4...35c4682da9

This is a very well rated soundbar on Amazon and elsewhere.
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HW-...AB6EA12PX8

This refurbed item is currently offered on Tiger Direct's own website for the same price of $139.99 but shipping is not included. Depending on where you live shipping for this item can be anywhere from $14 to $27.

This is the lowest total price I have seen for this item.

There was a thread about this item in late January and some were complaining about the shipping cost killing the deal. For those people, your complaints are answered.
http://slickdeals.net/f/5804538-Samsung-HW-E450-Soundbar-139-99-Refurbished

I just got this and it sounds very good, with a full rich sound and the bonus of bluetooth streaming for mobile devices.

This high quality sound at this low price would be hard to beat.

adam119 02-14-2013 01:53 PM

Any idea how reliable the refurbs are? Been on the market for a new soundbar for a while and this one fits the bill for exactly what I want (bluetooth, wireless subwoofer, under $150) but refurbs make me nervous

Shogelash 02-14-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adam119 (Post 57581720)
Any idea how reliable the refurbs are? Been on the market for a new soundbar for a while and this one fits the bill for exactly what I want (bluetooth, wireless subwoofer, under $150) but refurbs make me nervous

I've purchased many refurb electronics with mostly good results, but never from TigerDirect and never a sound bar. The price is right at half a new one. But I'm uncertain how this will pair with my Toshiba TV, and the return policy speaks of only manufacturer defects. Anyone know if this comes with a manufacturer warranty beyond the 30 day tiger return policy?

vettejock99 02-14-2013 02:32 PM

I bought one from TigerDirect recently and it had two cuts in the power cord to the subwoofer. Almost electrocuted myself. Having said that, I've had TVs and some other items come from them just fine and I did end up with a replacement E450 which I love, so I'm in for another one. If it is defective I'll be done with TD.

Nehonda 02-14-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

I have purchased one refurb from tigerdirect and one from wal-mart. Both are functioning great. The Walmart soundbar had some white residue on one of the speaker inserts, no big deal.

The tigerdirect refurb was in new condition; however, it did not come with the hdmi or digital optical cable the the new ones or the Walmart refurb did. It did come with the analog cord. The Walmart did not. Finally the tigerdirect soundbar came with a photo copied manual. Not the origional.

BTW. It's is a great sounding unit. I have purchased two for a reason. Cannot beat the quality for the refub price.

tobey17 02-14-2013 03:30 PM

Womdering if i should return my sony ht-c60 that i picked up from costco for 100$. Anyone knows about the sound quality on this one?

superld 02-14-2013 03:48 PM

They charge tax for me even if I go through ebay.

DWad 02-14-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Unlike other types of refurb items, speakers, especially TV speakers, basically just sit and play sound. Damage could come as a result of blasting the sound too loud (which people rarely do), or as a result of physically damaging the speakers, but for the most part they just sit there and do their job.

Contrast this to something like a laptop, tablet, phone, mouse, etc. These items get handled frequently, they get moved around, dropped, bumped, kicked, sat on, and generally they just take much more physical abuse. You can turn up a laptop's speakers too loud, smudge/crack the screen, let it overheat in a backpack.. there's a lot you can do to screw it up. And if the hard drive is starting to go? That's not always noticeable.

With speakers, just hook them up, turn the volume up a bit, and make sure you don't hear any buzzing/hissing, and that the sound doesn't cut out randomly. If they do, send it back, but generally speaking (heh, speaking, get it? like, a speaker. speaking. get it? *nudge nudge*), a speaker is a pretty safe bet for a refurb.

adam119 02-14-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DWad (Post 57586122)
Unlike other types of refurb items, speakers, especially TV speakers, basically just sit and play sound. Damage could come as a result of blasting the sound too loud (which people rarely do), or as a result of physically damaging the speakers, but for the most part they just sit there and do their job.

Contrast this to something like a laptop, tablet, phone, mouse, etc. These items get handled frequently, they get moved around, dropped, bumped, kicked, sat on, and generally they just take much more physical abuse. You can turn up a laptop's speakers too loud, smudge/crack the screen, let it overheat in a backpack.. there's a lot you can do to screw it up. And if the hard drive is starting to go? That's not always noticeable.

With speakers, just hook them up, turn the volume up a bit, and make sure you don't hear any buzzing/hissing, and that the sound doesn't cut out randomly. If they do, send it back, but generally speaking (heh, speaking, get it? like, a speaker. speaking. get it? *nudge nudge*), a speaker is a pretty safe bet for a refurb.

I bit the bullet and bought them, hopefully theyre as great as they sound (oh, i get it!)

thanks OP!

cnbcook 02-14-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vettejock99 (Post 57583338)
I bought one from TigerDirect recently and it had two cuts in the power cord to the subwoofer. Almost electrocuted myself. Having said that, I've had TVs and some other items come from them just fine and I did end up with a replacement E450 which I love, so I'm in for another one. If it is defective I'll be done with TD.

You almost eletrocuted yourself? Were you standing in a bucket water holding a toaster at the same time?

Psygnius 02-14-2013 05:04 PM

I've bought a refurb of this sound bar before. Great sound, love it. I've ran into some problems where the sound bar would stop receiving audio once in a while, but found out that turning off the bar and the tv, then turning them both back on fixes it. I bought this from Amazon for about $185 about 6 months ago, and can attest that the wireless sub works great, and the bluetooth feature is so convenient.

If you're thinking about buying a soundbar, this one is totally worth it, especially at this price!

Harold 02-14-2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogelash (Post 57582108)
.... Anyone know if this comes with a manufacturer warranty beyond the 30 day tiger return policy?

Tiger Direct's website listing for this unit says it carries a "3 months parts; 3 months labor" warranty for this refurbished item.

matthewf01 02-14-2013 05:18 PM

Description on ebay is unclear --- will this include the wireless subwoofer, or not?

Phoeniix 02-14-2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthewf01 (Post 57587346)
Description on ebay is unclear --- will this include the wireless subwoofer, or not?

Number of Speakers: Sound Bar + Sub

Also the sub with this model is wireless

Csublime 02-14-2013 07:29 PM

picked one up, thanks! great price considering $250 new

3hrs 02-14-2013 08:21 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMpG5FEOeq4

Ray167 02-14-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3hrs (Post 57590200)

Video review is for the C450, Much older model.

missmex1 02-14-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3hrs (Post 57590200)

Its a different model,

Samsung HW-C450 review

Not the one listed in this thread.

mvinuela4812 02-14-2013 08:43 PM

I have this model very good and loud only con Bluetooth sound is crappy.

vettejock99 02-14-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnbcook (Post 57586800)
You almost eletrocuted yourself? Were you standing in a bucket water holding a toaster at the same time?

Nice one, d/b. I'd tell you to try it without the water but I don't want to be liable. Go ask your science teacher about grabbing an A/C circuit with one side completely severed open.

missmex1 02-14-2013 11:06 PM

Price increased to $149.99

warriordude07 02-15-2013 12:06 AM

Got this to go with my New Samsung 60" 3D tv! :)

tobey17 02-15-2013 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missmex1 (Post 57592798)
Price increased to $149.99

Darn it.. Was close to exchange this with my sony soundbar

engeler1 02-15-2013 05:59 AM

Hi, I bought this soundbar to go with my <1year old Samsung LCD 50" TV. I have a modern DirecTV box sending signal to my TV right now by HDMI.

What I was wondering if anyone knew is what's the "best" way to hook this up? Should I run the optical audio to the soundbar? Or should I run the HDMI to and then from the Soundbar?

I'd like to use a single remote to control everything.

I downloaded the owners manual and read the comments here and am sitll not clear which way to go.

Thanks!

Psygnius 02-15-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by engeler1 (Post 57595388)
Hi, I bought this soundbar to go with my <1year old Samsung LCD 50" TV. I have a modern DirecTV box sending signal to my TV right now by HDMI.

What I was wondering if anyone knew is what's the "best" way to hook this up? Should I run the optical audio to the soundbar? Or should I run the HDMI to and then from the Soundbar?

I'd like to use a single remote to control everything.

I downloaded the owners manual and read the comments here and am sitll not clear which way to go.

Thanks!

Go with Optical if you can. There's a setting for it to turn on the sound bar when you turn on your TV.

thescinema 02-15-2013 09:11 AM

I bought this soundbar from TD's site direct. It was supposed to be 149.99 + shipping but they had it for 139.99+shipping instead. I felt it was a great deal at the time, and once set up, that feeling was confirmed. This thing is great for a bedroom or smaller living room. Great sound. Highly recommended. Go to Squaretrade and get a warranty on it, though. I think mine was like $13 extra (after coupon) for 2 or 3 years.

RadYOacTiVe 02-15-2013 09:22 AM

I bought this for more Thanksgiving weekend and was worth the money. I use it with a 55" Sammmy and works perfect for the room it's in. Don't be fooled, this won't give you "surround" sound but much better than the small speakers you get with the new flat panel tvs. The subwoofer is small enough to fit in my credenza but still provide enough bass. Good price at $140.

BTW, I have my STB and PC going HDMI to the TV and optical out from the TV into the soundbar.

engeler1 02-15-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psygnius (Post 57599124)
Go with Optical if you can. There's a setting for it to turn on the sound bar when you turn on your TV.

OK, thanks for the advice! Appreciate it. Once upon a time I knew

- Component better than Coax
- S-video better than component
- 5 wire component better than video

But alas...technology is getter away from me!:(

manonfire 02-15-2013 12:53 PM

How loud is the wireless sub? I bought the refurb HWE450 from TD and mine barely makes any sound. Wonder if I got a dud?

Psygnius 02-15-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manonfire (Post 57605274)
How loud is the wireless sub? I bought the refurb HWE450 from TD and mine barely makes any sound. Wonder if I got a dud?

Mine does not make much noise either, but you can feel the the volume in the bass. It's not a dud, just the way it's supposed to be. I have mine pressed against my couch, so you can really feel it.

Shogelash 02-16-2013 08:29 PM

Tigerdirect.com has it new for $200 now with free shipping.

Geronemo3 02-16-2013 09:11 PM

Never tried soundbars, are they any good?

matthewf01 02-18-2013 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogelash (Post 57631122)
Tigerdirect.com has it new for $200 now with free shipping.

$199 at Amazon, Prime-eligible and no tax for some (TigerDirect has a store here in GA, for instance)
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HW-...roduct_top

matthewf01 02-21-2013 11:44 AM

Price is back to 139

adam119 02-21-2013 01:59 PM

got mine last night. Easy to set up, in good condition and sounds GREAT

highly recommend

Csublime 02-22-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by engeler1 (Post 57601180)
OK, thanks for the advice! Appreciate it. Once upon a time I knew

- Component better than Coax
- S-video better than component
- 5 wire component better than video

But alas...technology is getter away from me!:(

your tv is newer than mine so it may not help, but my 2006 samsung tv will not output optical if an hdmi device is connected for some strange reason.

So I had to connect it to the optical out of the Directv box--which kind of sucks as the wii has to go through the tv sound unless I split the component cable from the wii, using a female rca/stereo to aux adapter and go through the aux port on the sound bar.

I did manage to get the directv remote to work with the soundbar by using the auto setup
feature.. you go to

menu on directv,
settings
settings
remote control
program remote
and go through the auto program setting an audio device for AV1, then find samsung, and it didn't have this exact model but the code for HWC450 worked for me.

I can now adjust the volume with the directv remote set normally, and power the soundbar on and off if the remote is switched to av1. I've not been able to change the source for the soundbar.. but I'm better off than I had been.

also allows me to pressure a bit for a new tv

missmex1 02-26-2013 04:53 PM

Got mine today. Just the soundbar & woofer in the package. No manual, cables, remote or mounting kits. Are they suppose to be in there?

Harold 02-26-2013 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missmex1 (Post 57847608)
Got mine today. Just the soundbar & woofer in the package. No manual, cables, remote or mounting kits. Are they suppose to be in there?

Yes they are! Mine came in a brown cardboard box with "Samsung" and "Refurbished" printed on it on all sides. It was about the same size as the original box that these soundbars come in but no pictures or product information printed on the box. Just plain brown box as stated. It was obviously made for, and packed by Samsung for these refurbished items. Also the subwoofer should have come wrapped in plastic and encased in two polyurethane foam brackets to protect it. The soundbar itself should have come heavily wrapped in plastic and the further wrapped in a lot of bubble wrap.

The accessories (remote, cables, mounting bracket and manual) were all packed together in a separate plastic bag in the box.

The "mounting kit" is just a small metal bar with holes and slots in it. No screws for mounting are included.

You should have gotten the remote (it is essential to operate the soundbar) some cables and the manual along with a printed "Quick Start" sheet.

I would contact TigerDirect and let them know. Hopefully they will make it right.

missmex1 02-26-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harold (Post 57848400)
Yes they are! Mine came in a brown cardboard box with "Samsung" and "Refurbished" printed on it on all sides. It was about the same size as the original box that these soundbars come in but no pictures or product information printed on the box. Just plain brown box as stated. It was obviously made for, and packed by Samsung for these refurbished items. Also the subwoofer should have come wrapped in plastic and encased in two polyurethane foam brackets to protect it. The soundbar itself should have come heavily wrapped in plastic and the further wrapped in a lot of bubble wrap.

The accessories (remote, cables, mounting bracket and manual) were all packed together in a separate plastic bag in the box.

The "mounting kit" is just a small metal bar with holes and slots in it. No screws for mounting are included.

You should have gotten the remote (it is essential to operate the soundbar) some cables and the manual along with a printed "Quick Start" sheet.

I would contact TigerDirect and let them know. Hopefully they will make it right.

Thx, Mine came in the same kinda box. But nothing other than the soundbar and woofer. TD CS asked me to contact samsung first, if not they will do an exchange and samsung CS wouldn't honor missing parts. Since this is an ebay order, TD CS made me do a return and placed a new order directly with them for the same price and free 2 day shipping. Hopefully the replacement will have the missing parts.