Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Deal Talk (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Craftsman Tool Sale: 3-pc Mini Box Joint Pliers Set $9, 3-pc Pry Bar Set in Tray $20, Corded Reciprocating 6 Amps Saw w/ Dual LED Lights $25.50 & More + Free In-Store Pickup (http://slickdeals.net/f/5856776-craftsman-tool-sale-3-pc-mini-box-joint-pliers-set-9-3-pc-pry-bar-set-in-tray-20-corded-reciprocating-6-amps-saw-w-dual-led-lights-25-50-amp-more-free-in-store-pickup)

Corwin 02-14-2013 01:35 PM

Craftsman Tool Sale: 3-pc Mini Box Joint Pliers Set $9, 3-pc Pry Bar Set in Tray $20, Corded Reciprocating 6 Amps Saw w/ Dual LED Lights $25.50 & More + Free In-Store Pickup

65526 Attachment(s)
EDIT: 3 pc Mini-Pliers Set now $8.50

Store pickup is free or get free 2 day shipping with SYWM. Sign up for the free 90 day trial here [sears.com].
Orders over $50 use SEARS2013 or VALPAK5 for $5 off, code EARN10 will earn you $10 in SYWR points on a $50 purchase.
Orders over $10 use CSOSHI01 for $10 back in points (NOTE: Some are reporting points are not being credited)(must be signed into SYWR account and can only be used once per account).

MyGofer.com has Craftsman 6 Amps Corded Reciprocating Saw w/ Dual LED Lights [mygofer.com] for $25.49 when you apply promo code TRY15 at checkout. Select free in-store pick up. ( I just recently noticed you could get it using this code. Thanks for updating Brisar. :nod:)

Craftsman 6 amp Corded Reciprocating Saw with Dual LED Work Lights $29.99 (reg. $59.99) [sears.com]

Craftsman 3 pc. Pry Bar Set in Tray $19.99 (reg. $39.99) [sears.com]

Craftsman 3 pc. Pliers Set, Mini Box-Joint $8.50 (reg. $19.99) [sears.com]

Craftsman 12 pc. Metric Easy to Read Impact Socket Set, 6 pt. Deep, 1/2 in. Drive $44.99 (reg. $89.99) [sears.com]

Craftsman 12 pc. Standard Easy to Read Impact Socket Set, 6 pt. Deep, 1/2 in. Drive $44.99 (reg. $89.99) [sears.com]

brisar 02-14-2013 01:35 PM

Craftsman Tool Sale: 3-pc Mini Box Joint Pliers Set $9, 3-pc Pry Bar Set in Tray $20, Corded Reciprocating 6 Amps Saw w/ Dual LED Lights $25.50 & More + Free In-Store Pickup

1 Attachment(s)
Sears.com has various Craftsman Tools on Sale listed below. Select in-store pickup to save on shipping or free shipping with your Shop Your Way Max (Free sign-up here). Orders over $50, save an additional $5 with promo code SEARS2013 or VALPAK5. Please refer to the forum thread for additional details. Thanks Corwin76
MyGofer.com hasCraftsman 6 Amps Corded Reciprocating Saw w/ Dual LED Lights for $25.49 when you apply promo code TRY15 at checkout. Select free in-store pick up.

wikipost 02-14-2013 01:35 PM

This post can and should be edited by users like you :)

TRY15 through mygofer.com. Wish I had realized it sooner.

http://www.mygofer.com/craftsman-...917175000P

got it for $26 had to chat to get free shipping to work but it was easy..$-8.20

big_wake 02-14-2013 08:20 PM

Thanks, I picked up the pliers using $5 Bonus reward points.

Medic311 02-14-2013 08:54 PM

those prybars are the real deal - not the crap from HF

these actually go above and beyond what they are rated for. i bought 1 set for $20 during the Craftsman Club Days and i just bought another set to keep in the trunk of my car

amazonORnewegg 02-14-2013 09:07 PM

good deal

Corwin 02-14-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medic311 (Post 57590740)

these actually go above and beyond what they are rated for. i bought 1 set for $20 during the Craftsman Club Days and i just bought another set to keep in the trunk of my car

That's good to know, I'm very tempted to get a set for myself. I have a lot of different sized conventional pry bars, but I've had the occasion to use this type before and I can see benefits to them. I also noticed the packaging in the picture says made in USA as well.

Medic311 02-14-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corwin76 (Post 57591558)
That's good to know, I'm very tempted to get a set for myself. I have a lot of different sized conventional pry bars, but I've had the occasion to use this type before and I can see benefits to them. I also noticed the packaging in the picture says made in USA as well.

not only is it made in the USA, but these are the most solidly built pry bars i have ever used.

plus in the 3-pack it comes with an extra extra long one which is VERY helpful when trying to pry in a confined area that you can't reach down into (such as an engine bay or trying to remove hardwood flooring between a wall and a large section of installed furniture)

you and i seem to always run into each other on the Craftsman slick deal threads haha. i guess we're both on the hunt to stock up our tool chests. speaking of...my new tool chest i ordered during Craftsman Club Week should be arriving at the store tomorrow...

soundmaster31 02-14-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medic311 (Post 57590740)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corwin76 (Post 57591558)

I'll vouch for the pry bars as well. I use them to lift heavy aluminum molds for polypropylene foam containers at work and these hold up quite well in every manner. The steel is good quality and well heat treated. The finish doesn't flake off like painted Harbor Freight models(we have a few different ones - some are painted, some have phosphate finish - also have Tekton/Michigan Industrial Tools pry bars --->>>CRAP CRAP CRAP). The handles have superior durability. Some people have used them as a chisel in a pinch or struck the end of the handle with a hammer and they've survived that fairly well. The Harbor freight ones? The handle just shatters or the metal shaft gets driven deeper into the handle. Not their intended purpose, we know. They flex very little when lifting heavier loads(as long as you're using the thickest shaft diameter possible).

We've even accidentally done a torture test on a Craftsman pry bar that got left inside a mold and ran a few hundred cycles in the molding press that uses steam running around 300F by the time it hits the mold. Came out a little rusty(use steam to heat and mold the foam bead / water to cool them down) and the plastic handle was discolored to say the least but it was still functional. Was it 100% functional? I wouldn't use it for the heaviest loads anymore. That many heat cycles can really start affecting the metal's quality.

Medic311 02-14-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundmaster31 (Post 57592016)
I'll vouch for the pry bars as well. I use them to lift heavy aluminum molds for polypropylene foam containers at work and these hold up quite well in every manner. The steel is good quality and well heat treated. The finish doesn't flake off like painted Harbor Freight models(we have a few different ones - some are painted, some have phosphate finish - also have Tekton/Michigan Industrial Tools pry bars --->>>CRAP CRAP CRAP). The handles have superior durability. Some people have used them as a chisel in a pinch or struck the end of the handle with a hammer and they've survived that fairly well. The Harbor freight ones? The handle just shatters or the metal shaft gets driven deeper into the handle. Not their intended purpose, we know. They flex very little when lifting heavier loads(as long as you're using the thickest shaft diameter possible).

We've even accidentally done a torture test on a Craftsman pry bar that got left inside a mold and ran a few hundred cycles in the molding press that uses steam running around 300F by the time it hits the mold. Came out a little rusty(use steam to heat and mold the foam bead / water to cool them down) and the plastic handle was discolored to say the least but it was still functional. Was it 100% functional? I wouldn't use it for the heaviest loads anymore. That many heat cycles can really start affecting the metal's quality.

now THAT is impressive - just goes to show how robust these pry bars are...they survived hundreds of cycles during a plastic molding process. unreal.

go Craftsman!

now only if we can get them to in-source their Metric wrench sets again...ugh. during the Craftsman Club week i went to buy 2 x 26pc Combination Wrench set in Standard and Metric. the Standard one is made in the USA and the Metric one is made in China. the ironic thing is - the Chinese made set had a better quality polish but i didn't care. i refuse to have Chinese made wrenches in my tool box. not happening if i can help it. so i returned the Metric set and i found the identical USA-made set on eBay (Craftsman made the switch very recently...i believe mid-2012)

soundmaster31 02-14-2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medic311 (Post 57592094)
now THAT is impressive - just goes to show how robust these pry bars are...they survived a plastic molding process. unreal.

go Craftsman!

now only if we can get them to in-source their Metric wrench sets again...ugh

Well, it's polypropylene foam (think like styrofoam), which is not injection molding so the temps are much lower. Our steam runs at 360 but by the time it reaches inside the molding press it's more around 300 or just below. Still, more hostile than your usual environment.

Medic311 02-14-2013 10:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundmaster31 (Post 57592146)
Well, it's polypropylene foam (think like styrofoam), which is not injection molding so the temps are much lower. Our steam runs at 360 but by the time it reaches inside the molding press it's more around 300 or just below. Still, more hostile than your usual environment.

oh whoops. sorry i saw Polypropylene and missed the foam part...i just jumped to the conclusion it was PP. speaking of...

Corwin 02-14-2013 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medic311 (Post 57591882)
not only is it made in the USA, but these are the most solidly built pry bars i have ever used.

plus in the 3-pack it comes with an extra extra long one which is VERY helpful when trying to pry in a confined area that you can't reach down into (such as an engine bay or trying to remove hardwood flooring between a wall and a large section of installed furniture)

you and i seem to always run into each other on the Craftsman slick deal threads haha. i guess we're both on the hunt to stock up our tool chests. speaking of...my new tool chest i ordered during Craftsman Club Week should be arriving at the store tomorrow...

Between you and soundmaster31, I think I'm convinced I need these now. Yeah, we do keep running into each other on these threads. I've been trying to fill in holes in my collection of tools....my problem is that whenever I get a tool, I find two more I think I need. Congrats on the tool chest, sounds like you're going to have a nice home for all these tool deals we've been finding. :nod:

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundmaster31 (Post 57592016)

Wow, that's one hell of a testament to them right there. I occasionally beat the crap out of some of my tools when a situation arises that demands it. I like tools that can take some punishment and these certainly sound like they can.

Medic311 02-14-2013 10:37 PM

6A is a bit low for a reciprocating saw as i was reading that it was struggling on regular 2 x 4's (it will cut through but it struggles to do so).

i checked out the prices for the 10A and 12A...whew...it's more than double the price!

WasteU 02-14-2013 10:38 PM

Anyone wondering about the Pry Bar Set I bought 2 all ready and they are very nice. However they go on sale for the 19.99 price at least 20 times a year so if you don't have extra at the moment do not feel bad waiting.

Medic311 02-14-2013 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WasteU (Post 57592420)
Anyone wondering about the Pry Bar Set I bought 2 all ready and they are very nice. However they go on sale for the 19.99 price at least 20 times a year so if you don't have extra at the moment do not feel bad waiting.

this is very true, but at the same time Craftsman has started shifting suppliers to China (ie their Metric wrench sets which accounts for a HUGE chunk of their tools sold each year) so at this point i want to get my hands on as many USA-made Craftsman tools as i can...even if i know it could be on sale at a later date. just because Craftsman could make the switch without notice just like they did with the Metric wrench sets

i don't know how much longer the rest of Craftsman's stuff will be made in the USA. when my kids are of the age that i want to pass down my tools - how can i in good faith give them some chinese-made wrenches and tell them "they don't make tools like they used to"...i can't hand them junk.

oh the humaniy

Ch3apSk8 02-14-2013 11:15 PM

Bain Capital bought Apex Tool Group, so maybe Mitt Romney will convince his friends to move production back to the U.S.? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medic311 (Post 57592616)
this is very true, but at the same time Craftsman has started shifting suppliers to China (ie their Metric wrench sets which accounts for a HUGE chunk of their tools sold each year) so at this point i want to get my hands on as many USA-made Craftsman tools as i can...even if i know it could be on sale at a later date. just because Craftsman could make the switch without notice just like they did with the Metric wrench sets

i don't know how much longer the rest of Craftsman's stuff will be made in the USA. when my kids are of the age that i want to pass down my tools - how can i in good faith give them some chinese-made wrenches and tell them "they don't make tools like they used to"...i can't hand them junk.

oh the humaniy

fcastro 02-14-2013 11:21 PM

Nothing special here, same old sears sales. Impact sockets are silly over priced. HF impact sockets are just as good and half the cost of there sale price. Pry bars are always on sale for 20 bucks. boring sears...

xXxREDxXx 02-15-2013 12:19 AM

my sears in store pickup experience stopped me from buying

the1rockstar 02-15-2013 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medic311 (Post 57592094)
now THAT is impressive - just goes to show how robust these pry bars are...they survived hundreds of cycles during a plastic molding process. unreal.

go Craftsman!

now only if we can get them to in-source their Metric wrench sets again...ugh. during the Craftsman Club week i went to buy 2 x 26pc Combination Wrench set in Standard and Metric. the Standard one is made in the USA and the Metric one is made in China. the ironic thing is - the Chinese made set had a better quality polish but i didn't care. i refuse to have Chinese made wrenches in my tool box. not happening if i can help it. so i returned the Metric set and i found the identical USA-made set on eBay (Craftsman made the switch very recently...i believe mid-2012)

Not to thread crap, but who did you get the metric set from on ebay? I have the standard wrenches, but I am looking to get the USA made metric preferably 10mm-25mm at least.

mookie3333 02-15-2013 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xXxREDxXx (Post 57593466)
my sears in store pickup experience stopped me from buying

YES! Same with me. Everytime I buy something from Sears, I kick myself for thinking I'd run in there, pick up my order, and be out within 5 minutes. It always turns into a half hour ordeal with people who don't know anything and computer systems 20 years behind time. Get with the program, Sears. I try to avoid this store at all costs.

EDIT: Actually, looking back in time, I've NEVER had a single good store pickup experience with Sears.

Medic311 02-15-2013 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the1rockstar (Post 57595358)
Not to thread crap, but who did you get the metric set from on ebay? I have the standard wrenches, but I am looking to get the USA made metric preferably 10mm-25mm at least.

i just did a search for "craftsman 26pc wrench set metric" and came across a metric set

it only goes up to 22 though

Medic311 02-15-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by decolores9 (Post 57598524)
The current draw is not a good basis for comparison - it doesn't consider efficiency. Many 15A saws are "weaker" than 6A saws.

i am just going off of what the reviews are saying, as i said earlier. people are saying this 6A one can barely cut through 2x4's where as the 10A corded model can do it fine. so regardless of what other factors are involved, the next model up can do the job fine. just stating what multiple reviews have said on the Sears.com website. but yes, there are other factors involved...

Quote:

Originally Posted by decolores9 (Post 57598524)
Craftsman tools haven't been made in the US in a while - what has changed is the labelling requirements, so they have to label tools they would have previously labelled "made in USA" as made in China.

well Craftsman isn't a manufacturer first off - they're just a brand that contracts it to a manufacturer. so it has always just been a matter of which supplier they are using. what i said before was that they have shifted significant portions of their production to Chinese-based suppliers for some of their most popular products - metric wrenches being one of them. the mislabeling is whole other story which i won't get into b/c they were sued and the information is public records and can be google'd very easily. i was merely saying that what is left of Craftsman's USA-made production tools will be dwindling down very soon so if buying quality USA-made tools at a value price is important, one should consider buying up whatever pops up for sale whether it's pry bars or pliers. that was my comment in response to someone saying that these pry bars are $19.99 several times a year. while that is true, don't be surprised if later this year they become $19.99 permanently but all of a sudden are Made in China

Medic311 02-15-2013 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by decolores9 (Post 57599586)
Yes, I assumed that was common knowledge.

Yes, but that shift was completed years ago. They have not sold tools that were actually made in USA for several years. The tools that are labelled "made in USA" were manufactured overseas and assembled or packaged in the US to skirt the labelling laws. Now they can't do that anymore and have to label them with the the manufacturing country name.

so what you're saying is that all of their Made in USA tools currently are actually made in China? i don't buy that...any tool that has USA forged, stamped, or molded onto it is made in the USA. any add-on such as bits, blades and whatnot could be made in China yes.

so the 26pc standard combo wrench set that i bought 3 weeks ago that says Made in USA is made in China despite it being forged on the handle "USA" ??? the Metric set just says "Craftsman" and nothing about USA so that's how i knew it was Made in China (in combination with the fact the packaging said so).

ducky2802 02-15-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by decolores9 (Post 57599586)
Yes, I assumed that was common knowledge.

Yes, but that shift was completed years ago. They have not sold tools that were actually made in USA for several years. The tools that are labelled "made in USA" were manufactured overseas and assembled or packaged in the US to skirt the labelling laws. Now they can't do that anymore and have to label them with the the manufacturing country name.

Interesting. Does the same reasoning hold for single tools, no moving parts like combination wrenches, that really dont have much packaging and are stamped on each tool itself? I got some mini wrenches, in a package that says "made in usa" but each tool itself doesnt have any stamp and I suspect they are made in china.

Keyser_Soze_09 02-15-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mookie3333 (Post 57595728)
YES! Same with me. Everytime I buy something from Sears, I kick myself for thinking I'd run in there, pick up my order, and be out within 5 minutes. It always turns into a half hour ordeal with people who don't know anything and computer systems 20 years behind time. Get with the program, Sears. I try to avoid this store at all costs.

EDIT: Actually, looking back in time, I've NEVER had a single good store pickup experience with Sears.

Man, that sucks. Oddly enough for me, even though their website is horrid, once I order something and go to pick it up I've never waited longer than 2 minutes for them to hand me the package and add a sticker to tell the security folks I bought it. Only issue is the Sears is 25 miles away..

zackman1 02-15-2013 11:41 AM

YMMV but received the following email from Shop your way rewards. Picked up the reciprocating saw for ~20 bucks as the points are added instantly to your order.

Get an instant $10 in Points. Here's how!
• Make a purchase in Tools.
• Redeem any amount of your current Points.
• Unlock an extra $10 in Points (10,000 Points) on that purchase!

Medic311 02-15-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by decolores9 (Post 57601192)
Yes. Sets of open end wrenches, for example, were shrink-wrapped in the US. For "loose" wrenches, they attached UPC labels, put them in a plastic hang tag, or did other minor "assembly" or "packaging" in the US.

The chinese-made "made in USA" tools will be around for a little while - they had to retool the forging dies to take off the "made in USA" label for many of the tools and that took a while. They should all be properly labelled within another year or so.

The ironic part is that the "made in USA" tools that people say are higher quality are, in fact, higher quality because they were made in China. The original outsourcing effort was driven by declining quality of tool production in the US. Economics was also part of it, but the main reason was they could not find a US manufacturer that could meet the quality and durability standards.

really??? i wasn't aware that tools with forged "USA" were actually made in China. i thought it was strictly a packaging loop hole....are you sure about that? i did the research and i thought it centered around the packaging loop hole.

and you have a solid point about quality. the Chinese-made wrenches actually have a MUCH nicer polish than the USA-made ones. the USA-made ones have a rough polish - not smooth whatsoever. the Chinese-made ones are very very smooth. ratchets are a different story - you can easily tell the Chinese ones from the USA ones as the Chinese ones have sharper edges on the handle indents

tennis8363 02-15-2013 12:33 PM

Hmm, might grab the reciprocating saw to trim some bushes and a small tree.

geb1222 02-15-2013 12:51 PM

Any thoughts on how the reciprocating saw compares to the Harbor Freight 6 amp saw for $ 20.

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-am...MSJ9%0D%0A

ducky2802 02-15-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by decolores9 (Post 57601192)
Yes. Sets of open end wrenches, for example, were shrink-wrapped in the US. For "loose" wrenches, they attached UPC labels, put them in a plastic hang tag, or did other minor "assembly" or "packaging" in the US.

The chinese-made "made in USA" tools will be around for a little while - they had to retool the forging dies to take off the "made in USA" label for many of the tools and that took a while. They should all be properly labelled within another year or so.

The ironic part is that the "made in USA" tools that people say are higher quality are, in fact, higher quality because they were made in China. The original outsourcing effort was driven by declining quality of tool production in the US. Economics was also part of it, but the main reason was they could not find a US manufacturer that could meet the quality and durability standards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medic311 (Post 57603948)
really??? i wasn't aware that tools with forged "USA" were actually made in China. i thought it was strictly a packaging loop hole....are you sure about that? i did the research and i thought it centered around the packaging loop hole.

and you have a solid point about quality. the Chinese-made wrenches actually have a MUCH nicer polish than the USA-made ones. the USA-made ones have a rough polish - not smooth whatsoever. the Chinese-made ones are very very smooth. ratchets are a different story - you can easily tell the Chinese ones from the USA ones as the Chinese ones have sharper edges on the handle indents

Ha, I thought it was just something I noticed. Ive been buying a few made in usa pieces from sears, and while they look good, I didnt notice a night and day difference in quality or presentation... in fact presentation wise seemed to favor many of my made somewhere in asia tools (like the crescent set from taiwan) with a fantastic polish, super thick chrome plating, quality 6 point sockets that are curved slightly to grip only the sides and not the edges, etc. versus the made in usa set CM stuff with a meh finish, sometimes sketchy chrome plating and stamping, but still good quality internal 6 pt grips. The USA CM might be higher quality (maybe the ones that say forged?) and less likely to break, but Ive been beating my HF composite ratchet and their super cheap but ever useful 1/2" extendable for quite a while and mechanisms are still in fantastic shape.

Medic311 02-15-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducky2802 (Post 57605644)
Ha, I thought it was just something I noticed. Ive been buying a few made in usa pieces from sears, and while they look good, I didnt notice a night and day difference in quality or presentation... in fact presentation wise seemed to favor many of my made somewhere in asia tools (like the crescent set from taiwan) with a fantastic polish, super thick chrome plating, quality 6 point sockets that are curved slightly to grip only the sides and not the edges, etc. versus the made in usa set CM stuff with a meh finish, sometimes sketchy chrome plating and stamping, but still good quality internal 6 pt grips. The USA CM might be higher quality (maybe the ones that say forged?) and less likely to break, but Ive been beating my HF composite ratchet and their super cheap but ever useful 1/2" extendable for quite a while and mechanisms are still in fantastic shape.

yeah the asia tools seem to look better, but looks are deceiving sometimes especially with tools.

i'm torn on the whole thing and to be honest i feel betrayed since i have spent extra $$ and my time looking for USA-made Craftsman tools and believing if they say "USA" forged into the handle that actually means made in China. i want to know for sure if that's the case.

otherwise, i might throw in the towel on everything - go return all of my crap back to Sears and just buy everything at HF. i mean what's the point anyways.......ugh.

rant over

Evan55 02-15-2013 01:19 PM

yikes, not so sure $9 is a good deal for those small pliers.
The husky version of that set is regularly on sale for $5-$7 at hd

Medic311 02-15-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan55 (Post 57605902)
yikes, not so sure $9 is a good deal for those small pliers.
The husky version of that set is regularly on sale for $5-$7 at hd

and these are made in the USA and the Husky ones are made in China. spending an extra $2 out of your pocket is a smaller price to pay than the continual increase in your state unemployment taxes as more people lose their manufacturing jobs to Chinese suppliers.

you can make that call though

ducky2802 02-15-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medic311 (Post 57606272)
and these are made in the USA and the Husky ones are made in China. spending an extra $2 out of your pocket is a smaller price to pay than the continual increase in your state unemployment taxes as more people lose their manufacturing jobs to Chinese suppliers.

I think these are the made in china version. I picked up a similar 6 piece set 3 mo ago with a case. The jaws on 1 or 2 were not ground symmetric. Identical set to HF from what I saw in the store: http://www.harborfreight.com/6-pi...94931.html

Medic311 02-15-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducky2802 (Post 57606546)
I think these are the made in china version. I picked up a similar 6 piece set 3 mo ago with a case. The jaws on 1 or 2 were not ground symmetric. Identical set to HF from what I saw in the store: http://www.harborfreight.com/6-pi...94931.html

hmmm

i could have sworn it said "Made In USA" on the pliers. i just checked the website and it doesn't say it. shiiiiiiiiiit
i guess i'll find out when i pick them up this afternoon

i hope this isn't another kick to the balls with Craftsman.........

tennis8363 02-15-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medic311 (Post 57606272)

I don't think these are made in the USA (The Sears' ones)

Corwin 02-15-2013 01:59 PM

FYI: I just recently realized that the Reciprocating Saw could be had for $25.49 with free store pickup if you add code TRY15 through mygofer.com. Wish I had realized it sooner.

Medic311 02-15-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis8363 (Post 57606880)
I don't think these are made in the USA (The Sears' ones)

yeah i think may have been mistaken

i will verify when i pick them up tonight

Corwin 02-15-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medic311 (Post 57607068)
yeah i think may have been mistaken

i will verify when i pick them up tonight

I just checked my 4pc professional set with gold/black handles that appear to be basically the same pliers. Unfortunately, there was "China" marked on the back. This is on a set that I bought at least 3 - 4 years ago, so apparently the little pliers have been made there for quite awhile.

dj-3lusion 02-15-2013 02:24 PM

funny the sockets looks similar to harbor freights [harborfreight.com] only $12 they have different ones and they really feel like they are good quality

Xtreme-D 02-15-2013 02:27 PM

This whole Craftsman/china crap is depressing.
I went there on black friday to buy both sets of 26 pc (i think) wrenches. I picked up the metric set and it was made in USA. I picked up the SAE set and it was made in china! I was upset and amused at the same time. I thought it was rather ironic that the SAE set was asian and the metric set was American!
There was a huge stack of each on a table in the center isle. I went to where they were normally stocked and found a few more sets stacked on the shelf. The very bottom set of SAE wrenches was made in USA!! SCORE!!

I refuse to buy a chinese/taiwanese tool from Sears. Why pay USA prices for chinese products. If they lowered the prices to HF prices...then maybe...MAYBE!

(Anybody else notice I didn't capitalize the word "china"??)

Perpetual deal or not...I may have to get the prybars while still USA made.

D

Medic311 02-15-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xtreme-D (Post 57607698)
This whole Craftsman/china crap is depressing.
I went there on black friday to buy both sets of 26 pc (i think) wrenches. I picked up the metric set and it was made in USA. I picked up the SAE set and it was made in china! I was upset and amused at the same time. I thought it was rather ironic that the SAE set was asian and the metric set was American!
There was a huge stack of each on a table in the center isle. I went to where they were normally stocked and found a few more sets stacked on the shelf. The very bottom set of SAE wrenches was made in USA!! SCORE!!

I refuse to buy a chinese/taiwanese tool from Sears. Why pay USA prices for chinese products. If they lowered the prices to HF prices...then maybe...MAYBE!

(Anybody else notice I didn't capitalize the word "china"??)

Perpetual deal or not...I may have to get the prybars while still USA made.

D

the opposite thing happened to me - the metric set was made in the China and the SAE set was made in the USA

Chinese metric set has MUCH better polish than the USA made SAE kit. looks are deceiving though - the USA made set could be structurally superior. only time will tell...if i don't end up returning both in disgust that the sets don't even visually match

iancole 02-15-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corwin76 (Post 57607006)
FYI: I just recently realized that the Reciprocating Saw could be had for $25.49 with free store pickup if you add code TRY15 through mygofer.com. Wish I had realized it sooner.

Damn it. I just managed to pass it up for $29.99. For $25.49.. I can't. It's just too cheap not to buy.

Corwin 02-15-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iancole (Post 57608330)
Damn it. I just managed to pass it up for $29.99. For $25.49.. I can't. It's just too cheap not to buy.

Sickdeals is like a giant black hole, sucking all your time/money into it. :D

Corwin 02-15-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medic311 (Post 57608646)
Slickdeals needs their own credit card w/ 3% cash back lol

Yeah, really, with a huge "SD" on the front. I want a platinum one with 10% CB. :nod:

WTB 02-15-2013 03:13 PM

TRY15 code takes 15% off the entire order, not just the reciprocating saw. In for the saw + pry bars.

now to find ~$8 of filler to get me to free shipping.

Corwin 02-15-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WTB (Post 57608925)
TRY15 code takes 15% off the entire order, not just the reciprocating saw. In for the saw + pry bars.

Yup, that code is very handy for certain sale items. If I remember correctly, I think I was able to get free shipping through mygofer once by live chatting with them and telling them I had SYWM.

TheeeGod 02-15-2013 04:26 PM

I am looking for a 3/8" Drive Socket Wrench, a 3/8" Drive Torque Wrench, 3/8" Drive Extension - do any of the tool sets have these?

stinkybottom 02-15-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medic311 (Post 57592398)
6A is a bit low for a reciprocating saw as i was reading that it was struggling on regular 2 x 4's (it will cut through but it struggles to do so).

i checked out the prices for the 10A and 12A...whew...it's more than double the price!

You are forgetting how much Sears is paying SD being the reason this is FP.

krazyrph 02-15-2013 05:07 PM

Scored one at mygofer for 25.49. Great reviews on the saw. Thanks

fretcapo 02-15-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corwin76 (Post 57609292)
Yup, that code is very handy for certain sale items. If I remember correctly, I think I was able to get free shipping through mygofer once by live chatting with them and telling them I had SYWM.

I have sywm and the shipping is always free at mygofer.

aggrex 02-15-2013 05:36 PM

"The current draw is not a good basis for comparison - it doesn't consider efficiency. Many 15A saws are "weaker" than 6A saws."

INCREDIBLE FACTS THAT ARE ONLY FOUND ON SD

Corwin 02-15-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fretcapo (Post 57611270)
I have sywm and the shipping is always free at mygofer.

It would be nice if they actually showed that you have free shipping when you sign into your account, it always shows a shipping charge for me no matter if I'm signed in or not. Sears should make the checkout cart on all of their sites the same.

Arcticat 02-15-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch3apSk8 (Post 57592904)
Bain Capital bought Apex Tool Group, so maybe Mitt Romney will convince his friends to move production back to the U.S.? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Or Obama to his home country in Kenya. I read on the internet that he flies there in a drone every weekend.

Arcticat 02-15-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WTB (Post 57608925)

This promo code doesn't match one in our system. Please check the code and try again.

Alpha Zero 02-16-2013 12:30 AM

DAMNIT!
I had the saw in my cart for $14.50 shipped with $8.50 of it being shipping! I tried to be greedy and change to store pick up now I can't get it back in my cart for that price! DAMNIT!
I have no idea what I did or what coupons were applied. Oh well. You win this time MyGofer...

gloriaalred 02-16-2013 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHeston (Post 57613192)
Yeah and my comment gets removed for being too "political". Just shows what worthless hacks these mods truly are.

pay no attention to this guy. Hopefully he'll get his GED one day.

DlickSeals 02-16-2013 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpha Zero (Post 57617626)
DAMNIT!
I had the saw in my cart for $14.50 shipped with $8.50 of it being shipping! I tried to be greedy and change to store pick up now I can't get it back in my cart for that price! DAMNIT!
I have no idea what I did or what coupons were applied. Oh well. You win this time MyGofer...

Made me laugh, friend! :lol:

Btw: http://www.sears.com/made-in-usa-...6157&aff=Y

kfpworld 02-16-2013 07:03 AM

got one saw for $26.00 fs- 4.50 rewards
useed http://www.mygofer.com/craftsman-...917175000P

droiddeals 02-16-2013 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kfpworld (Post 57619416)
got one saw for $26.00 fs- 4.50 rewards
useed http://www.mygofer.com/craftsman-...917175000P

Does the mygofer code still work? TRY15 seems to be dead

Corwin 02-17-2013 06:58 AM

FYI: The 3pc Mini-Pliers Set is now $8.50

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-3-...5850&aff=Y

Medic311 02-25-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corwin76 (Post 57581214)
EDIT: 3 pc Mini-Pliers Set now $8.50

Store pickup is free or get free 2 day shipping with SYWM. Sign up for the free 90 day trial here [sears.com].
Orders over $50 use SEARS2013 or VALPAK5 for $5 off, code EARN10 will earn you $10 in SYWR points on a $50 purchase.
Orders over $10 use CSOSHI01 for $10 back in points (NOTE: Some are reporting points are not being credited)(must be signed into SYWR account and can only be used once per account).

MyGofer.com has Craftsman 6 Amps Corded Reciprocating Saw w/ Dual LED Lights [mygofer.com] for $25.49 when you apply promo code TRY15 at checkout. Select free in-store pick up. ( I just recently noticed you could get it using this code. Thanks for updating Brisar. :nod:)

Craftsman 6 amp Corded Reciprocating Saw with Dual LED Work Lights $29.99 (reg. $59.99) [sears.com]

Craftsman 3 pc. Pry Bar Set in Tray $19.99 (reg. $39.99) [sears.com]

Craftsman 3 pc. Pliers Set, Mini Box-Joint $8.50 (reg. $19.99) [sears.com]

Craftsman 12 pc. Metric Easy to Read Impact Socket Set, 6 pt. Deep, 1/2 in. Drive $44.99 (reg. $89.99) [sears.com]

Craftsman 12 pc. Standard Easy to Read Impact Socket Set, 6 pt. Deep, 1/2 in. Drive $44.99 (reg. $89.99) [sears.com]

i ditched my C3 Reciprocating Saw as it never had enough juice to complete projects

i grabbed the reciprocating saw from this deal. do you have any experience with it? it arrived on Friday and when i opened it up i saw that the handle is angled? what's up with that. i would think the best grip is the pistol-grip style of the C3 saw and the corded professional one. i haven't used the one from this deal yet, but i predict it being uncomfortable to hold after a while. i'm curious what that angled handle will feel like after using it for a few hours taking down a plaster wall between the living room and kitchen in one of my rental units (will be making it a half-wall bar that opens to the living room)

thoughts?

Corwin 02-25-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medic311 (Post 57823958)
i ditched my C3 Reciprocating Saw as it never had enough juice to complete projects

i grabbed the reciprocating saw from this deal. do you have any experience with it? it arrived on Friday and when i opened it up i saw that the handle is angled? what's up with that. i would think the best grip is the pistol-grip style of the C3 saw and the corded professional one. i haven't used the one from this deal yet, but i predict it being uncomfortable to hold after a while. i'm curious what that angled handle will feel like after using it for a few hours taking down a plaster wall between the living room and kitchen in one of my rental units (will be making it a half-wall bar that opens to the living room)

thoughts?

No, I've never tried it. I have a monster of a Dewalt that I use for demo (a little too heavy sometimes). I agree on your point about the handle. I think a pistol grip would be better (more control) when the saw catches on something and kicks back at you....and it will. :nod:
That sounds like a nice project, I like rooms that have an open feel.

On an unrelated note, I updated the OP for the professional socket sets, since many were sold out and the prices had gone up. I also added Kmart links for many, since the prices there were the same as the prices Sears had them for yesterday.....why pay more when there is a better alternative. ;)

Medic311 02-25-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corwin76 (Post 57824360)
No, I've never tried it. I have a monster of a Dewalt that I use for demo (a little too heavy sometimes). I agree on your point about the handle. I think a pistol grip would be better (more control) when the saw catches on something and kicks back at you....and it will. :nod:
That sounds like a nice project, I like rooms that have an open feel.

On an unrelated note, I updated the OP for the professional socket sets, since many were sold out and the prices had gone up. I also added Kmart links for many, since the prices there were the same as the prices Sears had them for yesterday.....why pay more when there is a better alternative. ;)

yeah those Industrial sets went FAST. what was up with that dude trolling the forums saying they weren't made in the USA despite it being stamped on the sockets and ratchet handles MADE IN USA lolol.

see - even the Harbor Freight saw has a pistol-grip and it's only $20 after coupon! http://www.harborfreight.com/6-am...ource=1002

what the hell was Craftsman thinking....:shake:

Corwin 02-25-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medic311 (Post 57824628)
yeah those Industrial sets went FAST. what was up with that dude trolling the forums saying they weren't made in the USA despite it being stamped on the sockets and ratchet handles MADE IN USA lolol.

see - even the Harbor Freight saw has a pistol-grip and it's only $20 after coupon! http://www.harborfreight.com/6-am...ource=1002

what the hell was Craftsman thinking....:shake:

Yeah, I remember in the other thread someone had identified the stamped codes that showed they were USA made. The HF recip. is pretty much disposable at that price, even if you only used it for a couple projects before it died, you'd likely have gotten your money out of it. As far as "what the hell Craftsman was thinking.." goes, I think they're thinking: "We're Craftsman, so people will pay more." Generally, it's probably true, but that will change if people start to think the value of the brand isn't what it was. You can only coast on a good reputation like that for so long.