Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Hot Deals (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   MK802 II for $30 with free shipping (http://slickdeals.net/f/5858696-mk802-ii-for-30-with-free-shipping)

SoberSDer 02-15-2013 11:26 AM

MK802 II for $30 with free shipping
 
Amazon has MK802 II for $30 with free shipping.

Link:

http://www.amazon.com/Rikomagic-G...ords=mk802

mutha_scratcha 02-15-2013 11:38 AM

oh sweet a mk802 II!
I was about to buy a MK801 but this came along.
MK802 II !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

robinski_ 02-15-2013 11:42 AM

can this be used to stream movies from a windows 7 computer?

microkelvin 02-15-2013 11:45 AM

the hype is over.

all of the android sticks that i got from china, expensive or cheap. all eventually have wifi issues.
yeah yeah i've heard about antennna grounding or heat issues. but some of them are not just about the shorted circuit. it's the cheap antenna itself too.

ozmotion 02-15-2013 11:47 AM

These are a good concept, but they all seem poorly executed. I wonder when someone will design a legit one..

StarfirePrime 02-15-2013 11:48 AM

I swear, shopping for these things is like shopping for mattresses - no one seems to have a consistent naming scheme and you can never really comparison shop. MK 801,802,808,809? Mark I, II, III? Allwinner, Rockchip, A8, A9? Argh. Basil - what does it all mean?

Bagira 02-15-2013 11:51 AM

Be ready to get unstable overheating counterfeit unit from Silverstone, been there, done this.
Fortunately Amazon has a nice return policy.
There is a long discussion of this stick here on SD when it was selling for $39.99 or so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by microkelvin (Post 57603412)
the hype is over.

all of the android sticks that i got from china, expensive or cheap. all eventually have wifi issues.
yeah yeah i've heard about antennna grounding or heat issues. but some of them are not just about the shorted circuit. it's the cheap antenna itself too.

My UHOST 1A sticks have no wifi issues whatsoever, I have 3 of them. Although I had to turn one of my routers into the wireless access point to get a better reception.

microkelvin 02-15-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bagira (Post 57603618)
Be ready to get unstable overheating counterfeit unit from Silverstone, been there, done this.
Fortunately Amazon has a nice return policy.
There is a long discussion of this stick here on SD when it was selling for $39.99 or so.



My UHOST 1A sticks have no wifi issues whatsoever, I have 3 of them. Although I had to turn one of my routers into the wireless access point to get a better reception.

there are no suck things as counterfeits on this product.
they are all "invented" and made in china. all of these are manufactured by the 'counterfeits' facilities. none of them are made for American standard. if they are copied/faked, they are just copy from 1 shitty quality product to another.

billcsho 02-15-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robinski_ (Post 57603360)
can this be used to stream movies from a windows 7 computer?

Yes. Use android apps such as ES explorer with MX Player.

robinski_ 02-15-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billcsho (Post 57604072)
Yes. Use android apps such as ES explorer with MX Player.

million dollar question:
will it lag? or is a 15GB 1080p .mkv file no problem?

Bagira 02-15-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by microkelvin (Post 57603954)
there are no suck things as counterfeits on this product.
they are all "invented" and made in china. all of these are manufactured by the 'counterfeits' facilities. none of them are made for American standard. if they are copied/faked, they are just copy from 1 shitty quality product to another.

I highly recommend you read the previous thread on MK802.

satnav4 02-15-2013 12:15 PM

I would like to run Sirius/XM stereo on my TV/Stereo through this. Can I download the Sirius/XM app on it (like the one on my Android phone) and stream satellite radio from my internet subscription? Any help appreciated.

billcsho 02-15-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robinski_ (Post 57604218)
million dollar question:
will it lag? or is a 15GB 1080p .mkv file no problem?

Not sure about this particular stick. I use that on my tablet and it works fine with moderate bit rate HD movies (~5-10GB). 15GB movies may hit the bandwidth limit of wireless network that it does not stream well even on my other network media players and a 4-core HTPC.

Ignatz 02-15-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bagira (Post 57603618)
My UHOST 1A sticks have no wifi issues whatsoever, I have 3 of them. Although I had to turn one of my routers into the wireless access point to get a better reception.

Have the same good experience with my UHOST 1A. Wifi was fine, with no issues, but ended up added a usb hub/network jack (already had a wired access point right nearby) for $4 because, hey, for $4 why not?

jonthompson 02-15-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by satnav4 (Post 57604308)
I would like to run Sirius/XM stereo on my TV/Stereo through this. Can I download the Sirius/XM app on it (like the one on my Android phone) and stream satellite radio from my internet subscription? Any help appreciated.

Yes, that should work fine.

Unforgiven 02-15-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutha_scratcha (Post 57603260)
oh sweet a mk802 II!
I was about to buy a MK801 but this came along.
MK802 II !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES! YESSSS!!!


What's an MK802 II?

robinski_ 02-15-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billcsho (Post 57604320)
Not sure about this particular stick. I use that on my tablet and it works fine with moderate bit rate HD movies (~5-10GB). 15GB movies may hit the bandwidth limit of wireless network that it does not stream well even on my other network media players and a 4-core HTPC.

guess i'll just have to grab a stick and try it ouy, thanks!

satnav4 02-15-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonthompson (Post 57604708)
Yes, that should work fine.

Thanks.

jonthompson 02-15-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robinski_ (Post 57604882)
guess i'll just have to grab a stick and try it ouy, thanks!

I would personally recommend an MK808 for 1080p mkv playback. My mk802ii gets a little slow on local playback/controls - and occasionally the frame rate suffers.

I was able to play back 1080p over wifi but at lower bitrates, didnt try anything that high.

Also it occasionally has video issues and crashes and I need to reboot it to play back video again. I am using the original firmware, I havent bothered with a custom one (yet)..

krisman2003 02-15-2013 01:42 PM

The only thing I need is Netflix. That's it. Is this sufficient?

satnav4 02-15-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonthompson (Post 57606128)
I would personally recommend an MK808 for 1080p mkv playback. My mk802ii gets a little slow on local playback/controls - and occasionally the frame rate suffers.

I was able to play back 1080p over wifi but at lower bitrates, didnt try anything that high.

Also it occasionally has video issues and crashes and I need to reboot it to play back video again. I am using the original firmware, I havent bothered with a custom one (yet)..

What is your video source? Netflix?

jonthompson 02-15-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by satnav4 (Post 57610036)
What is your video source? Netflix?

1080p mkv files from a local NAS.

Never used netflix on it, sorry.

satnav4 02-15-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonthompson (Post 57613596)
1080p mkv files from a local NAS.

Never used netflix on it, sorry.

So what program do you use to stream videos from your NAS? I have an NAS, but store WMC recordings in WTV format on my computer accessible from the LAN. Do you have any bright ideas.

The real reason I bought this is to stream Sirius/XM radio from an Android Sirius/XM app. I would like to use the stick to do more.

cyclops13 02-16-2013 10:35 AM

Rikomagic MK802 II Android Player for $29.99 on Amazon FSSS
 
1 Attachment(s)
Lowest price so far,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0091UHMHO/

Seller is Silverstone LLC and Fulfilled by Amazon.

EDIT: Thats pretty odd, I did search twice before posting...

K6-2 02-16-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyclops13 (Post 57622632)
... EDIT: Thats pretty odd, I did search twice before posting...

SD search is a Black Art :lmao:

guitardedboy 02-16-2013 04:37 PM

good deal for 30

dealwxy 02-19-2013 12:31 PM

A reviewer at Amazon said Silverstone LLC sold him a knock off unit, a stick looks similar but without the MK802 words on it.
Do anyone else have experience dealing with Silverstone?

SoberSDer 02-19-2013 10:48 PM

Works great with Netflix
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by krisman2003 (Post 57606544)
The only thing I need is Netflix. That's it. Is this sufficient?

Just received my MK802 II today. Bought a USB to Ethernet Adapter (you can get it from Amazon) and a powered USB hub. Installed Netflix from Google Play Store. The playback is smooth in high definition. Will try xbmc when I get time.

k3u 02-19-2013 11:30 PM

I've heard bad things about the MK's series especially how their WiFi burns out easily. I recently purchased one of the top tiered Android Boxes, the Minix Neo X5. Apparently it's the most stabilized Android TV out there in the market currently according to the XDA Developer's forums.

Source: http://forum.xda-developers.com/s...?t=2142448

Larron 02-19-2013 11:48 PM

Amazon vendor Silverstone LLC is shipping both legitimate Rikomagic units and inferior fakes. If you contact them before purchasing, you'll probably get a genuine Rikomagic unit. If you do get a fake from them, Silverstone has been sending out authentic replacement units to anyone that contacts them after receiving a fake.

Seems like a weird way to run a business, but at least they have good customer service.

If you get a fake, SEND IT BACK. The authentic Rikomagic units are worth the money, the fakes are not. The fakes have a different WiFi chip that is not supported by Rikomagic firmwares. The fakes (in general) don't seem to be as stable. How do you know if you've received a fake? If the box and the unit do not both have Rikomagic printed on them, it's a fake.

To answer some of the other questions.

Video playback? An authentic Rikomagic MK802 II can and will play 1080P video files, in 3D, with full hardware acceleration, no dropped frames when using MX Player, Mobo Player, and a few others. MX seems to be the preferred player.

Overheating? No. The first two generations of Rikomagic MK802 units did have overheating issues. The MK802 II has solved those issues. Unlike the previous units, the MK802 II has voltage regulation and ESD. Even after hours of thrashing these devices, they rarely get warmer than 90 degrees F. The heat issues have been fixed.

WiFI? Yes, WiFi works but is hugely dependent on channel interference in your specific area. Some (like me) who have congestion issues use a $5 USB to Ethernet dongle instead. Monoprice sells a very cheap unit (item 6150) that works fine with most Android devices, including this.

XBMC? There is a version that works, it is a forked version that use MX Player as the core playback engine. Standard XBMC for Android will work, but doesn't have hardware acceleration so is only capable of playing standard definition (though work is being done to support hardware acceleration).

Plex? This may be a better alternative than XBMC at this time. I don't use either, but there seem to be many more proponents of Plex than XBMC for these devices.

Here is a previous thread on this product that answers many questions, The last few pages are probably the ones with the most info.
http://slickdeals.net/f/5765352-37-Android-4-0-Mini-PC-Stick-MK802-1GB-Amazon-Prime-Eligible?p=57480002#post57480002

SoberSDer 02-20-2013 08:39 AM

Good Information
 
Thanks for the complete information. The unit turned out better than I expected. Last night I had been watching Netflix for hours and the stick just felt a bit warm. Both Youtube and Netflix HD contents were very smooth. It is definitely necessary to use the USB to Ethernet dongle. The Wifi was not working very well for me even when I had the router right next to the stick. Compared to the Raspberry PI I had, I prefer this one better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larron (Post 57700698)
Amazon vendor Silverstone LLC is shipping both legitimate Rikomagic units and inferior fakes. If you contact them before purchasing, you'll probably get a genuine Rikomagic unit. If you do get a fake from them, Silverstone has been sending out authentic replacement units to anyone that contacts them after receiving a fake.

Seems like a weird way to run a business, but at least they have good customer service.

If you get a fake, SEND IT BACK. The authentic Rikomagic units are worth the money, the fakes are not. The fakes have a different WiFi chip that is not supported by Rikomagic firmwares. The fakes (in general) don't seem to be as stable. How do you know if you've received a fake? If the box and the unit do not both have Rikomagic printed on them, it's a fake.

To answer some of the other questions.

Video playback? An authentic Rikomagic MK802 II can and will play 1080P video files, in 3D, with full hardware acceleration, no dropped frames when using MX Player, Mobo Player, and a few others. MX seems to be the preferred player.

Overheating? No. The first two generations of Rikomagic MK802 units did have overheating issues. The MK802 II has solved those issues. Unlike the previous units, the MK802 II has voltage regulation and ESD. Even after hours of thrashing these devices, they rarely get warmer than 90 degrees F. The heat issues have been fixed.

WiFI? Yes, WiFi works but is hugely dependent on channel interference in your specific area. Some (like me) who have congestion issues use a $5 USB to Ethernet dongle instead. Monoprice sells a very cheap unit (item 6150) that works fine with most Android devices, including this.

XBMC? There is a version that works, it is a forked version that use MX Player as the core playback engine. Standard XBMC for Android will work, but doesn't have hardware acceleration so is only capable of playing standard definition (though work is being done to support hardware acceleration).

Plex? This may be a better alternative than XBMC at this time. I don't use either, but there seem to be many more proponents of Plex than XBMC for these devices.

Here is a previous thread on this product that answers many questions, The last few pages are probably the ones with the most info.
http://slickdeals.net/f/5765352-37-Android-4-0-Mini-PC-Stick-MK802-1GB-Amazon-Prime-Eligible?p=57480002#post57480002


rocco24 02-20-2013 08:51 AM

Price went up to 38.60 :(

SoberSDer 02-21-2013 11:10 AM

It is back again
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rocco24 (Post 57705512)
Price went up to 38.60 :(

It is back again for $29.99

rocco24 02-21-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoberSDer (Post 57735248)
It is back again for $29.99

Sweet getting one now

stormlight 02-21-2013 01:46 PM

In my opinion, get the one with Rock3066. This one is an A10. Single core cpu/gpu. Only $24 more, u can get dual core and quad gpu. Performance is better than tegra 2 chipset. I just bough mk808b ($54). Very happy with it.

Larron 02-21-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stormlight (Post 57739274)
In my opinion, get the one with Rock3066. This one is an A10. Single core cpu/gpu. Only $24 more, u can get dual core and quad gpu. Performance is better than tegra 2 chipset. I just bough mk808b ($54). Very happy with it.

The dual core units really aren't any better for the primary use of these products. These sticks are great for playing HD video, they're really not great at anything else. Games? Not so much and not because of the procsser. They're not great for games because most Android games are designed to be used with a touch screen. The same with web browsing, yes, it works, but it's not optimal.

Buy one of these to play HD video and you'll (probably) be very happy. Dual core won't make playing video any better or faster. The single core, $30 units play video as well as most dedicated HTPC's. That's their killer feature, it's pretty amazing that they can do this. It is the reason they're useful and worth the money.

For now at least, for most folks, there's no reason to pay more than $30 for one of these.

rocco24 02-21-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stormlight (Post 57739274)
In my opinion, get the one with Rock3066. This one is an A10. Single core cpu/gpu. Only $24 more, u can get dual core and quad gpu. Performance is better than tegra 2 chipset. I just bough mk808b ($54). Very happy with it.

Do you have a link ?

stormlight 02-21-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocco24 (Post 57740064)
Do you have a link ?

Please regard this post for links. http://slickdeals.net/f/5688410-MK808B-Android-4-1-Jelly-Bean-PC-Stick-1-6Ghz-Dual-Core-CPU-HDMI-Bluetooth-Mali-400-GPU-56-99-Shipped-FREE?

I bought mine off ebay for $54 freeshipping with bluetooth. The dual core is great improvement over single core when you are running multi-apps. Youtube run much smoother, load faster, the same goes for web browsing. You can also hook up gamepad and make it a console replacement. Why buy an i5 or i7 when a Pentium 3 can web browse and video just fine (but just slower).

reference link for third party firmware: omegamoon.com freaktab.com

satnav4 03-02-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larron (Post 57739830)
The dual core units really aren't any better for the primary use of these products. These sticks are great for playing HD video, they're really not great at anything else. Games? Not so much and not because of the procsser. They're not great for games because most Android games are designed to be used with a touch screen. The same with web browsing, yes, it works, but it's not optimal.

Buy one of these to play HD video and you'll (probably) be very happy. Dual core won't make playing video any better or faster. The single core, $30 units play video as well as most dedicated HTPC's. That's their killer feature, it's pretty amazing that they can do this. It is the reason they're useful and worth the money.

For now at least, for most folks, there's no reason to pay more than $30 for one of these.

Agreed. I just unboxed mine and installed it this morning. I am amazed at how well it works. The Wi-Fi connection is 3/4, which is better than the connection to my netbook, tablet and Toshiba DVD player. The MK 802 is downstairs, and the N class router is upstairs.

Without realizing the Google play store was already installed (it is not on the start page, but on the second page brought up by the icon in the top right of the start screen), I used the Internet connection to download and install the store. I also installed the Amazon App Store. From each site, I downloaded several of the applications I use on my telephone and tablet. Only one was incompatible; I cannot recall which one it was. I can search the Internet without a glitch and can play Netflix without a hiccup. Using Ceton's My Media Center, I am able to look at the Windows Media Center guide, and schedule Windows Media Center recordings, without having to run upstairs to my main recording computer (I use an internal Ceton cable card tuner).

There are things I have not yet resolved, but it is not clear whether the device is to blame. I am trying to tap into my main computer's videos, photos and documents, but keep getting an "access denied" warning. The device is able to communicate with an NAS drive on my network, suggesting it is a computer setting.

As far as I can tell, this device needs power from a USB connection. In my case, my TV has HDMI and USB connections very close, permitting a very tight and unobtrusive connection. If you not have this situation, you will need some form of AC/USB adapter into which to plug the standard USB connection from the supplied cable. The USB connection on the device itself is micro-USB, so you might be able to power the unit with a cell phone charger, although I would make sure to check the power requirements.

For $30, this is a steal. I can't speak to longevity, because I only started to use it. After streaming Netflix for 20 min., the unit was only mildly warm.

caseyatbt 03-15-2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoberSDer (Post 57735248)
It is back again for $29.99

Now it's $49


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:06 PM.