Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Deal Talk (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   P3 Kill A Watt EZ Appliance Efficiency Monitor (P4460) $20 + Free Ship-to-Store (http://slickdeals.net/f/5859376-p3-kill-a-watt-ez-appliance-efficiency-monitor-p4460-20-free-ship-to-store)

DealBreak 02-15-2013 05:16 PM

P3 Kill A Watt EZ Appliance Efficiency Monitor (P4460) $20 + Free Ship-to-Store

2 Attachment(s)
P3 P4460 Kill-A-Watt EZ Electricity Cost Usage Meter - calculates dollar amounts

http://www.radioshack.com/product...ndSrc=cart

$20 shipped to store through 2/18. A few dollars more than the basic one
The last time this was $20 on SD was 5/11.

P3 model comparison: http://www.p3international.com/pr...-chart.pdf

Now you can cut your energy costs and find out what appliances are actually worth keeping plugged in. Simply connect these appliances to the Kill A Watt® EZ, and it will assess how efficient they really are. Large LCD display will count consumption by the Killowatt-hour, same as your local utility.

- Shows the operating costs of your household appliances
- Accurate to within 0.2%
- Large LCD Display
- Calculates cost and forecasts by week, month and year
- Built-in battery backup
- Displays eight critical units of measure

****If you don't use shoprunner and ship to store you may still see a shipping charge. Per customer service, the site is misfiring and they are resolving the issue. In the meantime, you can call in your order or get a shipping charge refund on pickup.****

brisar 02-15-2013 05:16 PM

P3 Kill A Watt EZ Appliance Efficiency Monitor (P4460) $20 + Free Ship-to-Store

2 Attachment(s)
RadioShack.com has P3 Kill A Watt EZ Appliance Efficiency Monitor (P4460) for $19.99 with free ship-to-store. Thanks DealBreak

Alternatively, Amazon has it for $23.

wikipost 02-15-2013 05:16 PM

This post can and should be edited by users like you :)

This post can be edited by most users to provide up-to-date information about developments of this thread based on user responses, and user findings. Feel free to add, change or remove information shown here as it becomes available. This includes new coupons, rebates, ideas, thread summary, and similar items.

Once a Thread Wiki is added to a thread, "Create Wiki" button will disappear. If you would like to learn more about Thread Wiki feature, click here.

For those with the 4400, here is the link to a spreadsheet linked by wake1080 on Amazon: DOC LINK [mediafire.com]

gamefreakgcb 02-15-2013 07:35 PM

Free shipping via Shoprunner. I think most of SD has a membership there for free.

I've had a $20 RS gift card for the past two years. Finally found a use for it. Thanks OP.

xxxHolic 02-15-2013 08:35 PM

Is the P4200 better?

rlochner 02-15-2013 08:35 PM

For those who don't need to own one of these, they can be checked out at some public libraries. For those wanting to own, this seems like a decent price, although it's pretty close to Amazon's price.

DealBreak 02-15-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlochner (Post 57615482)
For those who don't need to own one of these, they can be checked out at some public libraries. For those wanting to own, this seems like a decent price, although it's pretty close to Amazon's price.

Amazon has it for $23. This model is easily confused with the P4400 that's posted a lot.

http://www.amazon.com/P3-Internat...564&sr=1-2

MeatCatalog 02-16-2013 06:13 AM

I love these things. The P4400 is $16 on sale at newegg and its just cool. I know my Fridge costs about $8/mo in straight electricity now. Hah!

TheSpatulaOfLuv 02-16-2013 06:27 AM

Any big-box stores that carry this and will pricematch? I'd love to pick one up today, as I'm doing some home stuff with the whole family. Teachable moments!

SAN_MARINO 02-16-2013 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlochner (Post 57615482)

What do you mean by checked out at some public libraries? :confused:

tigerdude77 02-16-2013 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamefreakgcb (Post 57614566)
Free shipping via Shoprunner. I think most of SD has a membership there for free.

I've had a $20 RS gift card for the past two years. Finally found a use for it. Thanks OP.

Just to add to this. Shoprunner membership is free for 30 days, but $8.95 /month or $79/year for membership after the 30 days are up. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Also, shipping to store apparently is not free for orders under $50, so S/H is not free. Total cost is ~ $27 if you can't get the free shipping.

txab 02-16-2013 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAN_MARINO (Post 57619922)
What do you mean by checked out at some public libraries? :confused:

Meaning just like a book, these can be checked out from some libraries.

DealBreak 02-16-2013 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigerdude77 (Post 57619956)
Also, shipping to store apparently is not free for orders under $50, so S/H is not free. Total cost is ~ $27 if you can't get the free shipping.

Free shipping over $50 pertains to home deliveries. Shipping is free to store.

Ship-to-Store

www.radioshack.com offers thousands of products online, including many which are not available in our retail stores. We know the hassle and worry associated with shipping high-end electronics and accessories to your home. Now you can order online and enjoy FREE shipping to a RadioShack.com location near you.

Enjoy FREE shipping
Safe, secure delivery!
Convenient pick-up locations, no other retailer offers as many!

YoSlick 02-16-2013 06:56 AM

Quote:

Just to add to this. Shoprunner membership is free for 30 days, but $8.95 /month or $79/year for membership after the 30 days are up. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Many people on SD got in on the "year for free" which has been offered a few times. They have even extended that offer to 3 more month or even another year. I am going on my 3rd free year, I think.

chromewavez 02-16-2013 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeatCatalog (Post 57619486)
I love these things. The P4400 is $16 on sale at newegg and its just cool. I know my Fridge costs about $8/mo in straight electricity now. Hah!

Is there a code to get it for $16? I only see it for $20. Thanks!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Pro...rentOnly=1

tigerdude77 02-16-2013 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YoSlick (Post 57620064)
Many people on SD got in on the "year for free" which has been offered a few times. They have even extended that offer to 3 more month or even another year. I am going on my 3rd free year, I think.

Okay - that explains a lot. I missed that. Congrats to those that got that. That would be sweet.

As for the free shipping to store - I chose that option, selected the store, but the cart still shows shipping costs. I'll play with it some more to see if I'm just doing something stupid.

J03 02-16-2013 07:04 AM

Quote:

While you're not technically wrong on this, there are threads every year with a free year of shoprunner deal. I got in on one over a year ago and they just extended it out another year for kicks so 2 years free shipping now. Not sure what would be a good deal notification to catch it but I would suggest looking. That's why he said "at this point most slickdealers have it" because thousands have jumped on the free year when it came up and they extended it for everyone.

DealBreak 02-16-2013 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigerdude77 (Post 57620112)
As for the free shipping to store - I chose that option, selected the store, but the cart still shows shipping costs. I'll play with it some more to see if I'm just doing something stupid.

My bad. I just saw the same thing and called customer service. They verified the site is misfiring and expediting the issue. In the meantime, you can place your order over the phone or get shipping cost credit when you pick up. Shoprunner is an option also.

javaking_1000 02-16-2013 07:25 AM

If I didn't already have an original model P4400, I'd grab one of these. But it's not too difficult to use a hand calculator and the P4400 to manually calculate the daily and monthly cost of electricity. I do like the battery backup feature, but not enough to spring for a new unit!

Good deal for those who don't already own another model, or want to monitor multiple appliances.

iflabs 02-16-2013 07:25 AM

Pretty cool how it can measure power factor.

h1qual1ty 02-16-2013 07:45 AM

I always think this is a cool idea but then I'm like, okay so I know this takes up X kilowatts/year. Am I going to start unplugging it or stop using it to save a couple bucks / month? hell no.

wavesine 02-16-2013 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeatCatalog (Post 57619486)

I love these things and I like conserving energy but you know what some people don't realize? Most electricity plans charge a monthly fee if you don't use a minimum amount of energy. For instance, my plan charges me a $9.95 fee if I use less than 500 kilowatts per month. (The fee varies from 5-15 dollars depending on what provider you use) I have gas central heat so I use less than 500 kilowatts per month most of the year. So you can conserve energy but you are not saving money because the energy company gets it back in the monthly service charge. I think this should be outlawed because it actually penalizes people who conserve energy. So I can be very green and turn off lights I am not using and my bill can be the same as my neighbor who leaves lights on wasting energy because he uses more than 500 kilowatts per month and doesn't have to pay the $9.95 fee.

baphomet58 02-16-2013 07:48 AM

does this thing immediately measure the cost per x? or, do you need to keep it plugged in for awhile to get an accurate measurement?

juzt1 02-16-2013 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baphomet58 (Post 57620796)
does this thing immediately measure the cost per x? or, do you need to keep it plugged in for awhile to get an accurate measurement?

It depends on the appliance. You get immediate calculations but they will get more accurate the longer you have them plugged up as some appliances (fridge) will cycle and use more power at times. This model is nifty but no backlight and no angled display make it a pain for low or hidden outlets and using extension is the only practical way in some cases.

Daniel14 02-16-2013 07:53 AM

this is good to satisfy your curiosity, but once you know that the appliance costs you X dollars per month in electricity, is not like you are better off buying another kind that is more efficient, so I do not see the point. Unless you have some very old appliance and knowing that it uses a ton of electricity is what makes you buy a new one right away.

odie91 02-16-2013 08:00 AM

I was going to buy one of these, but found out I could check one out at my local library. You might want to check if your library carries these before buying one.

northroad 02-16-2013 08:00 AM

Anyone use one of these to measure phantom power drain? Would like to see which outlets/power strips would be worth the effort of shutting off when not in use.

coffeeduck 02-16-2013 08:04 AM

I bought the P4400 last year. Used it like, three times. For some reason, the LED started getting dimmer and dimmer until I couldn't read it without a flashlight. Warranty was 3 months; it probably died at around the 6 month mark (or was it 6 months and then it died at the 1 year mark? Don't remember. Definitely got it new from the egg though.) Probably won't be buying one from this company ever again... just my experience, YMMV obviously.

I notice this one has a 6 month warranty, so ... psssh. whatever. still giving a thumbs up to OP, but just be careful

vsiev 02-16-2013 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northroad (Post 57621010)
Anyone use one of these to measure phantom power drain? Would like to see which outlets/power strips would be worth the effort of shutting off when not in use.

I would think you can place the unit between the outlet and power strip to get a power drain reading on the power strips....not sure if you could pull a reading from just the outlet by itself though.

Juanleeto 02-16-2013 08:10 AM

so did amazon pricematch radioshack or something? otherwise this isnt a good deal if its just always $23 with amazon prime, radioshack is $22 after tax and you have to use gas and time to pick it up............

not understanding why this is front page?

HJM 02-16-2013 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavesine (Post 57620772)
I love these things and I like conserving energy but you know what some people don't realize? Most electricity plans charge a monthly fee if you don't use a minimum amount of energy. For instance, my plan charges me a $9.95 fee if I use less than 500 kilowatts per month. (The fee varies from 5-15 dollars depending on what provider you use) I have gas central heat so I use less than 500 kilowatts most of the year. So you can conserve energy but you are not saving money because the energy company gets it back in the monthly service charge. I think this should be outlawed because it actually penalizes people who conserve energy. So I can be very green and turn off lights I am not using and my bill can be the same as my neighbor who leaves lights on wasting energy because he uses more than 500 kilowatts and doesn't have to pay the $9.95 fee.

What do you think will happen when more and more people buy fuel efficient hybrid / electric cars? The government relies on gasoline taxes, and more efficient vehicles mean less gas sold, thus less tax collected. Government solution: tax people on miles driven. Who does that punish? The people who, wanting to conserve gas to save money or the environment, paid a little more for a more efficient car. You can't win! That doesn't even take into account how increased demand for electricity to power electric vehicles will drive up the cost of electricity for powering everything else, plus increase pollution via power plants instead of tailpipes.

sho0318 02-16-2013 08:23 AM

Finally got to use my $10 off coupon on something that was useful.

BMW5SERIES 02-16-2013 08:24 AM

Could not ship to store

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigerdude77 (Post 57620112)
Okay - that explains a lot. I missed that. Congrats to those that got that. That would be sweet.

I was having the same problem trying to ship to store. I gave up.

MichaelIv 02-16-2013 08:30 AM

$20 on eBay shipped from Ohio for those who don't appreciate sales tax, but seems like it's model P4400, vs P4460 at RadioShack. Anybody knows the difference ?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/P3-KILL-A...3a752ec163

DealBreak 02-16-2013 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phamvince (Post 57621432)
I was having the same problem trying to ship to store. I gave up.

I called customer service about this. Until fixed, you can call in the order or get a shipping refund when you pickup.

busgamer 02-16-2013 08:41 AM

http://www.icemonkey.com/p3-inter...phic-timer
Bought from there before, legit site but shipping is sluggish

EiBWeN 02-16-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by busgamer (Post 57621712)

Refurbished w/6 month warranty - Pass

MichaelIv 02-16-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by busgamer (Post 57621712)

Ha, nice, site admin, where do you ship from ? :)
Anyway you should specify that it is refurb. Still great price.

beatstreet 02-16-2013 08:49 AM

right on time. i just canceled my order of the 4400 i placed last night on newegg to order this one. thanks!

BMW5SERIES 02-16-2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chromewavez (Post 57620082)
Is there a code to get it for $16? I only see it for $20. Thanks!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Pro...rentOnly=1

I wouldn't get the P4400 because it does not calculate costs automatically.

Here is the comparison chart:
http://www.p3international.com/pr...-chart.pdf

sklar 02-16-2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel14 (Post 57620898)
this is good to satisfy your curiosity, but once you know that the appliance costs you X dollars per month in electricity, is not like you are better off buying another kind that is more efficient, so I do not see the point. Unless you have some very old appliance and knowing that it uses a ton of electricity is what makes you buy a new one right away.

I think the problem here is lack of imagination. I've used this device a ridiculous number of times to learn some useful things.

Such as:

- My garage refrigerator uses much less electricity than I thought, even in the summer when its hot out there. I figured it for a few hundred a year at least, but it was only about $60. So I quit unplugging it in the summer and used it year round, since I wasn't really saving much by not using it

- My wife required a fan running in the bedroom all night. We have about 12 fans. Several used about 1/10th the electricity of the others while moving a similar amount of air. I save about $150 a year using the most efficient fan.

- The battery charger for my tools uses ~80 watts anytime there is a battery in it, even if the battery is fully charged. I put those on a switch and turn them off when I'm not using them. Cut my electric bill significantly since I have four of them.

- Took it to the store when buying a tv. Despite the power ratings on the sets, once I gave them a basic tweaking as I'd set them in my house, the power requirements changed dramatically. Between a handful of sets that I liked, one took much less electricity than the others. That'll save me hundreds of $ over the life of the set. Those super cheap plasma tv's? Some of them were pulling 4x the watts of a similar size LED set.

Basically without one of these, you're lacking a fairly critical piece of information: how much electricity does something actually use. With that info, you can make decisions on what and how to use appliances and what to buy. Without it, you'll probably spend hundreds, if not thousands of dollars extra in electricity every year

BMW5SERIES 02-16-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelIv (Post 57621530)
$20 on eBay shipped from Ohio for those who don't appreciate sales tax, but seems like it's model P4400, vs P4460 at RadioShack. Anybody knows the difference ?

I wouldn't get the P4400 because it does not calculate costs automatically.

Here is the comparison chart:
http://www.p3international.com/pr...-chart.pdf

vicdub85 02-16-2013 09:13 AM

Someone plug this into a dvr receiver and tell me what its reading.

ECarlson 02-16-2013 09:21 AM

I have one of mine permanently connected to my computer, and I have it sitting on my desk where I can see it.

It's great when I make changes, for example, my i7 computer system idles at about 65 watts. I was trying out another video card and I noticed that it used an additional 20 watts (85 watts) at idle when only 1 monitor is connected, and uses an additional 40 watts (105 watts) at idle with both monitors connected. Since I didn't see any advantage for my needs with the other video card, I switched back to my original video card, which stays at about 65 watts total system power at idle regardless of the number of monitors connected.

I also noticed that with a certain sound card software setting, the computer used an extra 5 watts, so I was able to save 5 watts by changing a sound card software setting.

(PS: My computer system is documented on my web site.)

MeatCatalog 02-16-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavesine (Post 57620772)
I love these things and I like conserving energy but you know what some people don't realize? Most electricity plans charge a monthly fee if you don't use a minimum amount of energy. For instance, my plan charges me a $9.95 fee if I use less than 500 kilowatts per month. (The fee varies from 5-15 dollars depending on what provider you use) I have gas central heat so I use less than 500 kilowatts per month most of the year. So you can conserve energy but you are not saving money because the energy company gets it back in the monthly service charge. I think this should be outlawed because it actually penalizes people who conserve energy. So I can be very green and turn off lights I am not using and my bill can be the same as my neighbor who leaves lights on wasting energy because he uses more than 500 kilowatts per month and doesn't have to pay the $9.95 fee.

You live in a different world dude. My electric company charges $29/month to have an account and the first 500KWH are subsidized at about 7c per. After that you are "penalized" for "excessive use" and must pay about 13c per for the next 1000. After 1500kwh the fees go even higher because you are "wasting energy". I don't know how high it goes though because I never use that much, myself.

In the end I pay about 11.3c per killowatt hour with the $29 monthly fee. Above national average but I have no choice as I live in a monopoly only city.

sklar 02-16-2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vicdub85 (Post 57622204)
Someone plug this into a dvr receiver and tell me what its reading.

That would depend on what model. Some old dish, directv and older tivo dvr's can use quite a bit more than current models. Off the top of my head the newer models are in the 25-30 watt range, while some 6-8 year old dvr's and older receivers may use 150-250 watts or more.

phildoc 02-16-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EiBWeN (Post 57621744)
Refurbished w/6 month warranty - Pass

Checked warranty listing from manufacturerer on Radio Shack's site -- 6 month warranty there as well.

Cryo 02-16-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelIv (Post 57621530)

The P4400 doesn't have battery backup, which is potentially useful for long-term monitoring, and won't automatically calculate the electricity cost, though you can calculate that on your own pretty easily. Otherwise, they're practically identical. That price on eBay isn't particularly great though, since the P4400 often goes on sale for around $16 (I bought mine for $15 shipped). If you don't need long-term monitoring on outlets that may potentially be turned off during that time, and can multiply kilowatt hours by the price listed on your electricity bill, then the P4400 should be fine, and will cost several dollars less.

One thing these are very useful for is if you have an uninterruptible power supply, and want to determine how much power a device will draw from your limited source. A couple months back, the power here was knocked out for a few days due to Winter Storm Draco, and a UPS was used to charge small devices, periodically power an aquarium's pumps, and other such things. The Kill-A-Watt made it easy to see how much power the various devices were using. Some UPS units will have a small screen and provide this information on their own, but most don't.

You can also check how much power devices use while "sleeping", determine how much electricity a television uses at different brightness levels, find how much power a 120 volt air conditioner, dehumidifier or heater uses when set to various levels, and so on.

These models don't have backlit screens, and will block an adjacent outlet, so its probably a good idea to attach them to a short extension cord. A heavy-duty one to three foot extension cord or power strip should work fine, unless you're using it on some hard to reach outlet, like behind a refrigerator, in which case you might want something longer.

2devnull 02-16-2013 10:22 AM

For those with the 4400, here is the link to a spreadsheet linked by wake1080 on Amazon: DOC LINK [mediafire.com]

dimagwala 02-16-2013 10:34 AM

Useful probably to use $10 off coupon.

stasis 02-16-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h1qual1ty (Post 57620750)
I always think this is a cool idea but then I'm like, okay so I know this takes up X kilowatts/year. Am I going to start unplugging it or stop using it to save a couple bucks / month? hell no.

LOL i think the same way. geek factor pushing you to buy it

testshot 02-16-2013 11:01 AM

Thanks OP and others - picked up one for STS (probably the only SDer WITHOUT free ShopRunner)

lano1717 02-16-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northroad (Post 57621010)

I did an experiment back in college on this, and it worked great for measuring phantom drain. Didn't do an R&R on it so I have no idea how reliable it is at low loads, but it does work to some extent

r53719 02-16-2013 11:17 AM

these are free at the library

Juanleeto 02-16-2013 11:25 AM

how do you get the radioshack $10 coupon?

did they ever fix the site to store problem where they are still charging you the shipping fee?

rvaidyan 02-16-2013 11:43 AM

Is the only real difference between the 4400 and the 4460 that the 4460 does a simple multiplication for you?

I don't get it. Why not get the much cheaper 4400 and just carry a calculator (or use a spreadsheet) to multiply the power consumption by your kwh rate?

Dfinder 02-16-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvaidyan (Post 57624708)
Is the only real difference between the 4400 and the 4460 that the 4460 does a simple multiplication for you?

I don't get it. Why not get the much cheaper 4400 and just carry a calculator (or use a spreadsheet) to multiply the power consumption by your kwh rate?

Battery backup, not the calulator. As soon as you unplug 4400 it looses the settings

kabukicho 02-16-2013 11:58 AM

these are useful, but suspect quality. mine seems to still work but the watt screen is stuck at between 40 to 43 watts always. so whatever i measure, i have to minus 40-43 on purpose to get my real reading.

Michael02 02-16-2013 12:55 PM

Does it come with Tetris?

bostonlou 02-16-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txab (Post 57619984)

what is a book???

:D

yazyazoo 02-16-2013 01:44 PM

Can anyone answer this question about power usage with one of these?

Trying to build a server for movies and downloading. Would it be more power efficient to use a AMD E350 low powered laptop with 2 or 3 USB drives attached or a desktop with an Intel i3 with those hard drives built into it?

I know the E350 uses like only 20w full load whereas i3 is a 65w I think? So is the processor always using 65w?

Anyone know what a Full size usb drive uses in watts?

SAN_MARINO 02-16-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txab (Post 57619984)

I thought he meant we can borrow "P3 Kill A Wall EZ Appliance Efficiency Monitor" from some libraries.

txab 02-16-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAN_MARINO (Post 57626286)
I thought he meant we can borrow "P3 Kill A Wall EZ Appliance Efficiency Monitor" from some libraries.

Check-out, borrow, whatever word you like. Same thing

bszelda 02-16-2013 02:05 PM

I've had one of these for over a year and after about 8 months, the screen completely faded out. I can't read anything at all on the screen. Sucks that I paid 20 bucks for it on Newegg over a year ago and I think the warranty is only 6 months :P

Bethgzus 02-16-2013 03:12 PM

Thanks OP! This things are super useful!

damnthatsadeal 02-16-2013 04:20 PM

Does anyone have a $10 off coupon code they can spare? This would help a lot with the kids and all their gadgets. Please PM me. Thx

epistax 02-16-2013 06:09 PM

Check your local library. You might be able to borrow these for free.

cowguy 02-16-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yazyazoo (Post 57626272)
Can anyone answer this question about power usage with one of these?

Trying to build a server for movies and downloading. Would it be more power efficient to use a AMD E350 low powered laptop with 2 or 3 USB drives attached or a desktop with an Intel i3 with those hard drives built into it?

I know the E350 uses like only 20w full load whereas i3 is a 65w I think? So is the processor always using 65w?

Anyone know what a Full size usb drive uses in watts?

Two things to consider here:

The i3s peak TDP is 65w , idling TDP is a lot lesser. Depending on what your usage needs are the 45w peak TDP ivy bridge celerons may be a better choice.

The e350 cannot handle any kind of transcoding , so we are really talking two different kind of servers with different capabilities. Also it's not a good idea to run external HD 24/7 with a server. Cooling is poor I those external HDDs and if you were worried about data, I d suggest a desktop server with some kind of redundancy.

OAKside 02-16-2013 07:18 PM

Edit: Nothing to see here...

laptopquestions 02-16-2013 07:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
1-Foot Extension Power Cables [amazon.com] are also incredibly useful for this given the plug design.

HoboTheClown 02-16-2013 07:45 PM

Been wanting to buy one of these energy monitors. Thanks!

Ps3Rules 02-16-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bszelda (Post 57626540)
I've had one of these for over a year and after about 8 months, the screen completely faded out. I can't read anything at all on the screen. Sucks that I paid 20 bucks for it on Newegg over a year ago and I think the warranty is only 6 months :P

Does that have anything to do with an internal battery possibly dying? (I know the lower model just uses the wall power, I'm assuming they all do but who knows!)

weigle2 02-17-2013 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laptopquestions (Post 57631082)
1-Foot Extension Power Cables [amazon.com] are also incredibly useful for this given the plug design.

I get these from Monoprice (rated at 13 amps) for $1.11 when you buy 2 or more. They are a good source for just about any cable needed. Also, they have very cheap Cat 5/5e/6 cables in many lengths and colors. Their shipping cost is not the best, FYI.

weigle2 02-17-2013 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ps3Rules (Post 57631380)
Does that have anything to do with an internal battery possibly dying? (I know the lower model just uses the wall power, I'm assuming they all do but who knows!)

According to the manual, no battery is used in this model.

Bdubslawman 02-17-2013 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HJM (Post 57621260)
What do you think will happen when more and more people buy fuel efficient hybrid / electric cars? The government relies on gasoline taxes, and more efficient vehicles mean less gas sold, thus less tax collected. Government solution: tax people on miles driven. Who does that punish? The people who, wanting to conserve gas to save money or the environment, paid a little more for a more efficient car. You can't win! That doesn't even take into account how increased demand for electricity to power electric vehicles will drive up the cost of electricity for powering everything else, plus increase pollution via power plants instead of tailpipes.

Well, I read through the whole thread & since no one else did, I have to reply briefly. 1st Electricity companies are not the Govt. #2 - tax people on the miles driven - So you think they are going to pull odometer readings? You are inventing a tax & a straw man where one doesn't exist; why IDK so you can become upset. No mainstream politician has proposed or suggested any such thing. That's is besides the point of this device / electricity use.
#3 That doesn't even take into account how increased demand for electricity to power electric vehicles will drive up the cost of electricity for powering everything else, plus increase pollution via power plants instead of tailpipe - That is a total fallacy. 1st the majority of the country would charge their vehicles at night, power plants on most nights (dependent on regional variables - and weather factors high heat etc.) maintains a higher output than required (although much lower than the day) in order to be able to handle / cope with spikes and sections that go down. People would/should be incentivized to use high powered items after 9PM when supply is high vs demand. (Our local energy Co-Op refuses to offer this unless you pay into a much higher plan - rather than with the new digital meters that can record when power is used they should credit or charge less in off peak/demand times for high use appliances (vacuums, washer/dryer, car charging... but in some areas & with enough pressure it will happen).

The second false statement or misconception is that switching over to hybrids or fully electric cars would "increase pollution via power plants instead of their tailpipes" This is incorrect. It would be a significant net decrease in pollution. Yes, power plants output would have to increase if everyone switched over to electric, but the reality is that total pollution would decrease significantly. This would be a measurable step in the right direction.
The internal combustion engine as powerful as it is, is inherently WASTEFUL! The MAJORITY of the available energy that is contained in gasoline never comes close to reaching the road in propulsion forward. Only about ~15-20% of the energy in Internal combustion engines is realized even with modern vehicles. Compared to ~75% in electric motored vehicles (electric not hybrid).

So not only do the electric cars operate more efficiently (lighter, far less loss of energy in the conversion to momentum) and they require less energy to charge than to fill the tank to propel the vehicle forward (and despite what many think they can extremely fast (see tesla cars)). They can take advantage of idle/wasted power plants operation levels if there was a true push / mandate for electric cars then electric production would have to be increased on scale but the point is it's a far less (lesser of two evils). The environmental footprint is WORSE by burning (oil refined into gasoline) than it is using primarily coal in the US, some natural gas, and a small amount of nuclear/wind/solar. The by products of coal not to mention the strip mining are TERRIBLE, but it's still better than oil refined gasoline (environmentally and politically).

The true negatives are that we haven't yet begun to take advantage of the ample sources in many areas of this country to implement solar and wind, and Nuclear as a stop gap. One day hopefully Nuclear Fusion (using non-radioactive material) - literally a thimble full of water to produce a massive quantity of clean electricity will happen. But funding is next to non-existent since the 1970's and what happened in Japan (with good reasons) will set it back another 20 years unfortunately.
http://www.ehow.com/list_6454862_...gines.html
http://www.consumerenergycenter.o...osses.html
http://ffden-2.phys.uaf.edu/102sp...20main.htm
http://www.beyond-the-edge.com/au...-your-car/

timtim2008 02-17-2013 06:03 AM

beware: this will MELT at 1500 watts at 8hours or more.

Bdubslawman 02-17-2013 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timtim2008 (Post 57636466)

Is this one of those Fire Marshall Bill (in living color videos? )
Seriously, do you have video? And what were running that's 1500 Watts? :lol:

timtim2008 02-17-2013 07:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bdubslawman (Post 57636532)
Is this one of those Fire Marshall Bill (in living color videos? )
Seriously, do you have video? And what were running that's 1500 Watts? :lol:

yes im VERY serious

no video.

and LOTS of household items, run use 1500watts. space heaters, microwaves, electric car chargers etc.

just google "kill-a-watt warning"

laptopquestions 02-17-2013 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weigle2 (Post 57636124)
I get these from Monoprice (rated at 13 amps) for $1.11 when you buy 2 or more. They are a good source for just about any cable needed. Also, they have very cheap Cat 5/5e/6 cables in many lengths and colors. Their shipping cost is not the best, FYI.

I actually bought these, a week or so back:
1-Foot Extension Power Cable 16 AWG, 10-Pack [amazon.com] $15.99 shipped via prime. In the past, I have bought lots of cables from Monoprice [monoprice.com] and have never been disappointed.

BTW, the primary reason I bought the cables was not for the monitor, but actually for my power strips and UPSs.

Bdubslawman 02-17-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by decolores9 (Post 57641108)
Might want to check your facts before posting next time - and if that was "brief", I'd hate to see "long" :lol:.
Briefly, your statements are not accurate, you appear to be reading invalid sources of information. Best to check objective research rather than "proponents" or "opponents" information.
No point in debating it, just wanted to let you know your information is incorrect.

I'll give you that you were brief, but you forgot the :P at the end. In fact why not just make your entire brief post ":P" - since it's quite clear you showed me the errors briefly without showing them to me, a sort of jeet-kune-do verbal fighting without fighting. ;)

Since the post covered a lot of ground, your post, without citing which statements you claim to be in error is like saying neener neener, I know you are but what am I.

How ever will I learn? Was it:
1) the inefficiency of the combustion engine? vs
2) the efficiency of the electric motor direct drive train?
3) the pollution differential between fossil fuel fired coal/oil plants charging vehicle batteries vs what comes out of the exhaust pipe?
4) current Nuclear Fission (radioactive) vs the future potential of Nuclear Fusion?

Adults debate =or= post to share ideas =or= clear up a point/misconception =or= ask additional thoughts, but chiming in to say something is wrong and then saying but no point in debating...your just wrong is a cute parlor trick.
---------------------------
-----Classic FIRE MARSHALL BILL ----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD3AsjzLwdQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE...07FDC76B4D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXriAFYdU84
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQmIERPy744

CrazyCoconut 02-17-2013 11:48 AM

To make it more slick, try this $5 off coupon from RS.

http://slickdeals.net/f/5828496-5-off-Anything-Radioshack-For-Checking-Phone-Upgrade-Eligibility-Any-Company

DealBreak 02-17-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysorbet (Post 57642016)

I don't know about this $5 but I just left a RadioShack store after buying a $30 Clip Zip [radioshack.com] and was handed a printout for $5 off next purchase a week from now. Perfect for an additional microSDHC.

I'm not sure if it's based on amount spent or certain items qualify.

DealBreak 02-17-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bdubslawman (Post 57641906)

Thank you for this. Perhaps the best character ever created on a comedy skit show and that includes the SNL heydays.

This might be all of them in one collection. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z...07FDC76B4D

snowcrash 02-17-2013 02:37 PM

I remember buying 3 for like $11 or $12 each at Lowes I think last year.

Edit - Nvm. Found the thread. It was clearance sale at Lowes so it doesn't apply here.

Cryo 02-17-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timtim2008 (Post 57636466)

Quote:

Originally Posted by timtim2008 (Post 57637366)
and LOTS of household items, run use 1500watts. space heaters, microwaves, electric car chargers etc.

People run their microwaves for 8 hours or more? o_o

Also, I don't think too many microwaves draw upward of 1500 watts. Common household units tend to stay below 1250. Anything significantly higher wattage than that will be a big commercial unit costing around a thousand dollars or more, and those typically require 240v outlets anyway, so they wouldn't even work with this.

Higher-powered portable heaters and electric car chargers I could see potentially causing problems during extended run times though, especially if the ambient temperature were high. Those are probably not the kinds of appliances that should be left attached to something like this for extended lengths of time though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by decolores9 (Post 57641164)
As they note, though, this device is rated for 8A - 1,000 watts - maximum, so using it with a car charger or other higher wattage device is abusing the meter. It's not surprising it burned when used at 1.5 times its maximum rating.

Actually, these Kill-A-Watts are rated for a maximum of 15 amps, 1875 VA, the same as a typical household outlet. That still doesn't mean you should be running them near those limits for hours on end though.

timtim2008 02-17-2013 07:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cryo (Post 57647866)
People run their microwaves for 8 hours or more? o_o

Also, I don't think too many microwaves draw upward of 1500 watts. Common household units tend to stay below 1250. Anything significantly higher wattage than that will be a big commercial unit costing around a thousand dollars or more, and those typically require 240v outlets anyway, so they wouldn't even work with this.

Higher-powered portable heaters and electric car chargers I could see potentially causing problems during extended run times though, especially if the ambient temperature were high. Those are probably not the kinds of appliances that should be left attached to something like this for extended lengths of time though.

Actually, these Kill-A-Watts are rated for a maximum of 15 amps, 1875 VA, the same as a typical household outlet. That still doesn't mean you should be running them near those limits for hours on end though.

NOT true, avg household heater is 1500watts (yes those small electric space heaters) for $20

TRUE the kill-a-wats are rated for a 15A load (about 1800watts), but ive personally run a 12A 1500 watt heater (that use 1475+/- for about 8 or 12hours) and my kill-a-watt personally started to melt.

like the photo in my last post.

ive also seen someone use it on a 12Ampt, 1500watt EVSE (electric car charger) it also begun to melt after just a few days use.

JAXXBOSS 02-17-2013 07:26 PM

I saved a ton of money by not buying this and when i leave the room I turn off the fan and lights.

Bdubslawman 02-18-2013 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by decolores9 (Post 57654214)
You left out "in an appropriate forum" - which is NOT this forum.
If you do want to discuss this, please start a thread in an appropriate forum such as tech support.

LOL - yet another :P - you could have just posted some links or taken 10 seconds to list which were incorrect. It's funny to here an :offtopic: excuse from someone indulging in that exact type of tangent. Anyway moving on & out!

Cryo 02-18-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timtim2008 (Post 57649568)
NOT true, avg household heater is 1500watts (yes those small electric space heaters) for $20

I don't think you properly read my post. I said nothing about household heaters not using 1500 watts, just microwaves. >_>

In any case, my point was that running high-powered appliances like those through this non-stop for many hours on end is probably a bad idea, even if it is rated for those maximum loads. Typically, such appliances will list in their documentation not to run them through things like extension cords and power strips, and that should hold true for something like this as well. For those high-draw devices, it's probably best to just do a quick reading of the power draw, and determine how long the device is turned on for to estimate its daily power use.

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea for Kill-A-Watts to include a temperature sensor with an alarm though, to notify people of a problem before things get damaged.

Quote:

Originally Posted by decolores9 (Post 57654272)
That's incorrect, they are rated for an 8A load or 1000 W, not the 15A load (which is really 1500 watts, not 1800 watts).

Actually, I believe it is 15 Amps, 1875 VA for the Kill-A-Watts. It lists that right on the back on my Kill-A-Watt, as well as on the product's official web site. That's the same rating as a typical household outlet. However, appliances are required to not draw more than 80% of that upper limit, which would be 12 Amps, 1500 VA. There are 1500 watt heaters and such designed for 120 volt outlets.

cyberian73 02-18-2013 09:43 PM

did anyone actually buy this? the free ship to store does not work! i want to buy this but how did you guys get the s2s to work?

DealBreak 02-19-2013 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberian73 (Post 57674686)
did anyone actually buy this? the free ship to store does not work! i want to buy this but how did you guys get the s2s to work?

Call your order in or get the shipping cost refunded when you pick it up. Shoprunner is free also.