Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Help Me Find a Deal (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Help me find a new prepaid cellphone service provider (http://slickdeals.net/f/5863494-help-me-find-a-new-prepaid-cellphone-service-provider)

mystery250 02-18-2013 01:01 PM

Help me find a new prepaid cellphone service provider

I'm currently using T-Mobile's $60 a month prepaid plan. It's unlimited talk/text/data with 2gb (at 2g speeds after 2gb).

I'm looking for something with unlimited minutes and texts preferably and at least 500mb of data (preferably more).

I need to save a bit of cash, so $60 a month is a tad more than I want to pay.

I have a Samsung Galaxy s2 (t-mo branded).

I need to keep my current number.

It's appreciated as always. :)

Dealbro22 02-18-2013 01:37 PM

Ting.com

mystery250 02-18-2013 01:50 PM

Ting wouldn't work - can't bring my own phone, not compatible with their services. Also, after their regulatory fee's, it'd cost more for less mins/texts/data.

Dealbro22 02-18-2013 01:57 PM

Could have sworn they let people bring a phone over. Sorry.

Doing a quick google search comes up with platinumtel... kind of a crappy deal though. Only the first 250MB a month are "high speed".

You could always sell your phone and go with RepublicWireless. $259 initial fee for the phone and whatnot, but then only $19/month for unlimited everything.

mystery250 02-18-2013 02:05 PM

They do let people port their phones over, but only from Sprint and my t989 tmo Samsung Galaxy s2 isn't listed.

I've heard horror stories about Republic Wireless, so I'm thinking not. I'd rather stick to a more 'traditional' type of company, not some weird wifi/regular calling combo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dealbro22 (Post 57664288)
Could have sworn they let people bring a phone over. Sorry.

Doing a quick google search comes up with platinumtel... kind of a crappy deal though. Only the first 250MB a month are "high speed".

You could always sell your phone and go with RepublicWireless. $259 initial fee for the phone and whatnot, but then only $19/month for unlimited everything.

mattb1102 02-18-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mystery250 (Post 57662952)
I'm currently using T-Mobile's $60 a month prepaid plan. It's unlimited talk/text/data with 2gb (at 2g speeds after 2gb).

I'm looking for something with unlimited minutes and texts preferably and at least 500mb of data (preferably more).

I need to save a bit of cash, so $60 a month is a tad more than I want to pay.

I have a Samsung Galaxy s2 (t-mo branded).

I need to keep my current number.

It's appreciated as always. :)

Get a straight talk tmobile sim. You won't have to unlock your phone and straight talk just leased from T-mobile so it's just a rebranded tmobile service with unlimited everything for $45 a month. I hear they may kick you out after too much data usage but I had them for months and used 2+gigs a month with no issues. If you prepay 3 months its discounted to $40 a month.

mystery250 02-18-2013 02:35 PM

Will I be able to keep my current phone number from T-mo?

Debating it. Wish they'd offer SIM's for free as some do.

Also nervous about their data usage policies, however I hardly ever go over 1gb so I'd probably be safe..

mattb1102 02-18-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mystery250 (Post 57665372)
Will I be able to keep my current phone number from T-mo?

Debating it. Wish they'd offer SIM's for free as some do.

Also nervous about their data usage policies, however I hardly ever go over 1gb so I'd probably be safe..

They have sim sales on occasion but its been awhile. You can port numbers to and from ( I've done both).
If you use less than 2gb a month it sounds like a perfect fit. You will make up the cost of the SIM card in the first month. After that your looking at no less than $15 savings per month and $20 if you buy three months in advance. Same tmobile service cheaper price. They're tech support/call center appears to be all out sourced to India but that's the only drawback from my standpoint.

Only reason I switched is I had 5 lines, and tmobile a pricing was better for multiple lines since 500 per line sufficed for majority of my group.

mystery250 02-18-2013 05:00 PM

One reason I like t mo is due to I have a direct number to VIP support.. They can get anything fixed.