Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Help Me Find a Deal (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Need help replacing 8 year old desktop (http://slickdeals.net/f/5864680-need-help-replacing-8-year-old-desktop)

NDmonk 02-19-2013 07:43 AM

Need help replacing 8 year old desktop

Hi All,

Need to replace an eight year old Dell desktop computer for family member. It crashes atleast few times a day. The replacement will primarly used for internet browsing, emails, and their kid doing homework online. it will not be used for playing games or anything like that.

I have an old HP P6720f from 2 years ago and they like that and want something similar to that.

They want something in <$350 range. I was checking hotdeals computer forum and there are many different models and CPUs......it makes me dizzy:confused:

What they do not want:
No Dell!! They are done with it!! I don't blaim them.
No Refurb.
No computer where they have to open and upgrade HD, memory, etc

What they want:
wi-fi capable
HDMI
Be able to run microsoft office 2010 without any issue

Question: Would 4GB memory sufficient or should they get atleast something with 6GB?

I saw the Lenovo H430 deal for $274. But, I think that's over. It is currently still on sale for $350. With tax, it will be slightly higher. Would you think this is good price for a desktop?

If it helps, I get AMEX Open discount at HP and OfficeMax (I think it is 5% or 10%). If I can get cheaper deal there, I would like to help them get the cost down little bit.

Please suggest Desktop to me.

Thank you.

oyouno 02-19-2013 11:30 AM

That Lenovo H430 deal is really good for your needs. Check to see if your local staples has it for pickup. I just checked mine and there are some instock near me, so might be worth checking out.

Also, even the h430 deal, you would need to buy a wireless card/adapter, Most desktops do not come with them already installed.

4gb would be fine.

Also I would highly recommend checking out lenovo outlet at refurbished items, When they are on sale you can find good deals.

HP p6-2378 AMD A8 8GB 1TB Win 8 HP Pavilion P6-2378 Desktop, AMD A8-5600K Trinity Quad-Core 3.6GHz, 8GB DDR3, 1TB SATA, USB 3.0, Radeon HD 7560D, Win 8 (Refurbished)

$329.99

http://moofi.woot.com/offers/hp-q...-desktop-9

This one is really good too for the price as well. But refurbished. If you have a credit card that doubles warranties then use it to buy it to double the 90day warranty to 180day.
But you would still need to buy a wireless adapter (15-20) and a dvi-hdmi adapter (usually like 2dollars on ebay)

NDmonk 02-19-2013 12:34 PM

Thank you oyouno.

I guess the HDMI and wi-fi are not a must haves.

How long does it take for the woot deal to come if it is ordered today? I will ask if they want that one. However, they want to stay away from refurb. I told them to hold off a week or two until something comes up. However, they want to replace the computer this week.

Edit: never mind about the woot. it's sold out anyway -:(

NDmonk 02-20-2013 07:44 AM

Need help replacing 8 year old desktop - GOT ONE - Thanks

Got one Dell Inspiron 2020 from this hot deal.. I know they didn't want Dell. But, price was too good for me to refuse this deal.

Couldn't wait to get confirmation from my family as I already had one in my cart and someone in that thread reported OOS. So I went ahead with the purchase. If they don't want, I'll keep this one. This is great for small places + every day computing.

Foreveryours 02-20-2013 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NDmonk (Post 57704012)
Got one Dell Inspiron 2020 from this hot deal.. I know they didn't want Dell. But, price was too good for me to refuse this deal.

Couldn't wait to get confirmation from my family as I already had one in my cart and someone in that thread reported OOS. So I went ahead with the purchase. If they don't want, I'll keep this one. This is great for small places + every day computing.

I refrained from recommending that same model because you specifically stated no Dell :lol:

NDmonk 02-21-2013 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foreveryours (Post 57718312)
I refrained from recommending that same model because you specifically stated no Dell :lol:

Note to self: never rule anything out in future :-)

Haven't told them of the new purchase yet. When it is delivered next week, will find out how it goes.

zzyzzx 02-21-2013 07:42 AM

Have you thought about reformatting the hard drive of the old PC and installing Linux? I'm partial towards Fedora, but there are plenty of other good ones to choose from.

NDmonk 02-22-2013 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zzyzzx (Post 57729476)
Have you thought about reformatting the hard drive of the old PC and installing Linux? I'm partial towards Fedora, but there are plenty of other good ones to choose from.

Just reformat and recycle. No other plans.