Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Deal Talk (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   $5.99 + FSSS Anker® 15W 3.1A Simultaneous Dual-Port Car Charger (New Version) (http://slickdeals.net/f/5865058-5-99-fsss-anker-15w-3-1a-simultaneous-dual-port-car-charger-new-version)

deeznutz206 02-19-2013 10:00 AM

$5.99 + FSSS Anker® 15W 3.1A Simultaneous Dual-Port Car Charger (New Version)

1 Attachment(s)
I was searching for car chargers and found this charger from Anker. What was appealing to me about this charger is the output of 3.1A. Wow! Most chargers I found only outputs between 1.0 - 1.5A so this will charge your device in half the time. Now before anyone starts saying the amp output will damage your device, wrong. Devices these days have an internal regulator that prevents this from happening.

Out of 67 reviews, it has a 4.5 rating, 50 being 5 stars and 4 being 1 stars. 2 of those 1 stars were buyers not being aware that for iPhones, iPads and iPods, you have to use your own cables that originally came with them. Those other 2 1 stars were DOA where and it looks like Anker customer service team took care of them right away.

Product Description:

Distinguishing Features of the Anker Car Charger:
Equipped with both a USB port and a Micro USB port and power wire, the Anker car charger is capable of fast dual charge. Outperforming most car chargers on the market, the Anker car charger is able to charge an iPad and an Android phone at the same time at full speed.

Dual Charge - Two ports for charging two devices at the same time
High Output - 15W 3.1A output delivers a full-speed charge to Apple products via the USB port and a full-speed charge to Android devices via the Micro USB port
Android Friendly - Custom Micro USB power wire circuit design enables Android phones to charge up to 2x faster compared to ordinary chargers
Safe & Reliable - A built-in fuse to prevent short circuit, overload, and over-voltage

Compatible Models:
Apple: iPad / iPad 2 / iPad 3 / iPad mini / the retina iPad (iPad 4) @ 1 to 2.4 Ampere Max
iPhone 5 / iPhone 4S / iPhone 4 / iPhone 3GS / iPod Touch Classic Nano @ 1 Ampere Max
Android Phones: Samsung Galaxy S3 / Motorola / Nokia / Blackberry / LG @ 0.5 to 3.1 Ampere Max
Other Devices: PSP / Nook Color / MP3 MP4 MP5 / GPS / Tablets etc. @ 0.5 to 3.1 Ampere Max

Note:
1. Please keep the charger away from high temperatures (above 140°F / 60°C).
2. This charger can provide a maximum 3.1A output to (a) two ports totaling no more than 3.1A, or (b) a single port at 3.1A max.
3. Please use your own cable for iPhones, iPads and iPods.

http://www.amazon.com/Version-Sim...roduct_top

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbfirebreather (Post 57686612)
The circuitry in your device should limit how much current it draws. If it needs 1A to charge, it will try and pull up to 1A. If the power source (car charger) is limited to 0.5A, the device will only be able to pull in 0.5A. There's no reason for your device to blow up because it's trying to draw 3.1A from this car charger. It will pull as much as it's designed to pull, assuming the source can drive it.

yuugotserved 02-19-2013 10:00 AM

Anker 15W 3.1A Simultaneous Dual USB Port Car Charger $6

1 Attachment(s)
Anker via Amazon has Anker 15W 3.1A (2.1A + 1A) Simultaneous Dual USB Port Car Charger for $5.99. Free shipping with Prime (free student accounts available) or if you spend $25 or more. Thanks deeznutz206

wikipost 02-19-2013 10:00 AM

This post can and should be edited by users like you :)

1 Attachment(s)
Back up to $12.99 @ 6pm PST
OOS @540p CST
IN STOCK as of 7:28 pm EST

This was free when you purchased a 10,000 mAH battery.

This charger has an advantage of being able to charge android devices at full speed. Most USB port chargers only charge at 500ma, regardless of their rating (OS limitation), so the coiled wire helps, I got a DOA last week though.

lekhak: Attached image from amazon product page provides necessary clarity. Charger is a dual charger:
  1. 1 regular USB: Anker suggests using the USB port (no cable) with Apple devices, so it MAY have been optimized for use with Apple devices with 2.1A. If that is true, non-Apple devices MAY just get 500mA from this port - unless Anker came up with a way to support both Apple and non-Apple at 2.1A; and if it did, would have advertised the product so, which Anker does not.
  2. 1 micro USB: The micro-USB port is an actual coiled cable suggested for use by Anker with Android devices with 1A.
Amazon Technical Details section states, "2 ports with a maximum output of 3.1A; Charge a 5V 2.1A iPad and a 5V 1A Android phone simultaneously at FULL speed".

bareyataghan 02-19-2013 10:09 AM

TU I snagged one. Good price for what it is.

deeznutz206 02-19-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bareyataghan (Post 57684910)
TU I snagged one. Good price for what it is.

NP. Anker makes quality products (I have 2 of their battery packs) and their CS team is the best that I have ever dealt with.

microkelvin 02-19-2013 10:16 AM

will it kill my phones if too much current flowing in?

timropp 02-19-2013 10:19 AM

Thanks, wife's van needed a new charger so I'm in for one!

fkhan11 02-19-2013 10:22 AM

Alright, dumb question - I know it says dual port, but none of the pictures show the second port - am I missing something? At least the one in black...I don't even know where the white one came from...

mrlocalhost 02-19-2013 10:24 AM

is there a link to the one with two usb ports?

deeznutz206 02-19-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by microkelvin (Post 57685102)

No. As I had noted in the original post, most modern devices these days have a built in regulator that prevents this from happening.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fkhan11 (Post 57685276)
Alright, dumb question - I know it says dual port, but none of the pictures show the second port - am I missing something? At least the one in black...I don't even know where the white one came from...

Yeah, I was a little confused at first. I think they are calling it dual port because of the 1 open usb port and the other micro USB port.

That pic of the white charger automatically showed up after I posted this thread. Tried several times to delete it but it keeps coming back :mad:

Joe123456 02-19-2013 10:36 AM

1) The thumbnail photo above of the white dual port part---Does that come with it?

2) The iPad 4 notes 1-2.4 amp max. Is that good? Would this be a good choice for the iPad 4?

Tardcore 02-19-2013 10:38 AM

recently got one of these for free in a package deal with an Anker Astro 3E.

Cannot comment on the price, but I like the charger well enough.

It is nice to have the ability to charge my Apple device along with either my backup battery (the Astro 3E) or an android toting passenger's phone.

Only negative thing I can think of is that It sticks out of the cigarette lighter plug thingy quite a bit further than my old one.

DrunkenBastard 02-19-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Quote from microkelvin :
No. As I had noted in the original post, most modern devices these days have a built in regulator that prevents this from happening.
The answer is a little more complicated but it boils down to this:
USB is backwards compatible and will default to 500mA 5V unless otherwise noted. All usb devices can handle this without any issue.

There is a way (two actually) to wire the connections so that if the device and charger agree the charger will provide significantly increased amps in order to provide newer devices the power necessary to charge them while running. The issue as I understand it is that Apple and USB don't agree on this standard connection to trigger higher amp charging and a charger will either register a higher demand for one connection setting or the other. This charger may have come up with a way to avoid with problem but other devices with two connections have dedicated one to rapid charging Apple products and one for everything else. This may be their solution as well but I am not sure.

Anything or everything that I have said could be wrong so take it with a grain of salt.

bossusa 02-19-2013 10:41 AM

is this good for nexus 7?

shane.kelly55 02-19-2013 10:43 AM

drats, i paid 9.99 2 weeks ago.

By far the best car charger i'v ever used. Very quick charging and great CS.

deeznutz206 02-19-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe123456 (Post 57685676)
1) The thumbnail photo above of the white dual port part---Does that come with it?

2) The iPad 4 notes 1-2.4 amp max. Is that good? Would this be a good choice for the iPad 4?

1) That pic of the white charger automatically appeared and I can't get rid of it after trying several times.

2) No problem for the iPad 4. Reviews from iPad 4 users are there and none mentions it damaged their device.

TofuVic 02-19-2013 10:56 AM

I just purchased one to use for 2 LG Nexus 4 phones. If for any reason it's not a good idea to use this charger for this phone, please let me know. Thanks.

Thanks, OP. I have given you reputation points,
Tofu Vic

Joe123456 02-19-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deeznutz206 (Post 57686058)
1) That pic of the white charger automatically appeared and I can't get rid of it after trying several times.

2) No problem for the iPad 4. Reviews from iPad 4 users are there and none mentions it damaged their device.

Thanks deeznutz206.

mrk829 02-19-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shane.kelly55 (Post 57685886)
drats, i paid 9.99 2 weeks ago.

By far the best car charger i'v ever used. Very quick charging and great CS.

contact Amazon CS and get a price adjustment, they will give you a credit or refund your money

BrokenVisage 02-19-2013 11:05 AM

Got 1, hope it can charge my Garmin GPS though, all the other aftermarket USB car chargers I've tried put it in "computer mode" or something and prevents me from turning it on.

kbfirebreather 02-19-2013 11:08 AM

The circuitry in your device should limit how much current it draws. If it needs 1A to charge, it will try and pull up to 1A. If the power source (car charger) is limited to 0.5A, the device will only be able to pull in 0.5A. There's no reason for your device to blow up because it's trying to draw 3.1A from this car charger. It will pull as much as it's designed to pull, assuming the source can drive it.

deeznutz206 02-19-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbfirebreather (Post 57686612)

Thanks kb. Pretty much what I thought too. I'll put this in the original post.

wangcliff 02-19-2013 11:12 AM

Got one even I don't really need one.

imolam3 02-19-2013 11:14 AM

in 4 1 for my LG Nexus 4. Thanks OP - Repped

rsveteran 02-19-2013 11:14 AM

If anyone is interested in buying two 3.1A chargers, this [amazon.com] is a slightly better deal. You can bypass Amazon's FSSS requirement and buy directly from the seller for the same $10.95 price and $0 shipping.

BoomSchtick 02-19-2013 11:18 AM

Nice deal! I would have preferred two open usb ports, but I'm sure that the micro usb will come in handy some day.

BoomSchtick 02-19-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsveteran (Post 57686800)
If anyone is interested in buying two 3.1A chargers, this [amazon.com] is a slightly better deal. You can bypass Amazon's FSSS requirement and buy directly from the seller for the same $10.95 price and $0 shipping.

Agreed. For me that's the better deal with the two open USB ports and a cable that I can use Micro USB if I want to.

Repped!

deeznutz206 02-19-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoomSchtick (Post 57687044)
Agreed. For me that's the better deal with the two open USB ports and a cable that I can use Micro USB if I want to.

Repped!

It really depends on the devices that you have and your uses. If your device can charge using the micro usb (both of mine can!), then this eliminates the need to carry an extra cable. But I agree that that is a good deal for those that want to open usb ports.

Thrice 02-19-2013 11:43 AM

Thanks, OP. I had been looking for a dual charger and this is perfect, and cheapest I've seen.

filipm 02-19-2013 11:43 AM

man... just bought one yesterday. Off to CSR land!

reactions 02-19-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deeznutz206 (Post 57686058)

I'd be on this if it didnt have that cable sticking out

shane.kelly55 02-19-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrk829 (Post 57686544)
contact Amazon CS and get a price adjustment, they will give you a credit or refund your money

Tried, Nadia said no.

LiquidRetro 02-19-2013 12:08 PM

After reading reviews of AC chargers like this http://www.righto.com/2012/10/a-d...le-is.html I am wondering what the quality of this thing is.

dj_mikmik 02-19-2013 12:08 PM

This is a much better deal:

SD Link

Tardcore 02-19-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mikmik (Post 57688240)
This is a much better deal:

SD Link

This deal is great. I'll just swing by a dealership to buy a second car tonight.

saved $.50.

Thanks!

rkingj 02-19-2013 12:18 PM

in for 1, great price!

zonino 02-19-2013 12:19 PM

thanks in for one

deeznutz206 02-19-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidRetro (Post 57688238)
After reading reviews of AC chargers like this http://www.righto.com/2012/10/a-d...le-is.html I am wondering what the quality of this thing is.

Read the reviews on Amazon. 4.5 star ratings. 50 5 stars and 2 actual 1 stars where product was DOA but CS took care of them right away. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tardcore (Post 57688494)
This deal is great. I'll just swing by a dealership to buy a second car tonight.

saved $.50.

Thanks!

Lol. Repped.

Rezer 02-19-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

As best as I can tell, those only charge full speed on apple products without a modified cable. A usb port can either fast charge apple or android, but not both since the specs differ on the voltage applied to the data lines to tell the phone "yeah, go ahead and pull all the power you want." The OP's deal sounds like the USB port charges apple products at full speed and the micro usb cable charges android products, but I'm not 100% on that as I don't own this charger...

deeznutz206 02-19-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reactions (Post 57687820)

Errrrr ok. Having a cable sticking out doesn't really bother me. If this charger is being used, then there always will be a wire sticking out.

deeznutz206 02-19-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rezer (Post 57688608)
As best as I can tell, those only charge full speed on apple products without a modified cable. A usb port can either fast charge apple or android, but not both since the specs differ on the voltage applied to the data lines to tell the phone "yeah, go ahead and pull all the power you want." The OP's deal sounds like the USB port charges apple products at full speed and the micro usb cable charges android products, but I'm not 100% on that as I don't own this charger...

Yep, that other charger only charges at 2A or 1A per which port you use. This Anker can charge @ 3.1A if one device is plugged in.

inspyral 02-19-2013 12:52 PM

I linked these chargers in the thread for the Haier deal a while back. I ordered them and found that for my devices(Galaxy Nexus phone and Nexus 7 tablet), the actual charging results were inconsistent. The generic USB cable included with the NewTrent chargers seems to limit charging to USB mode(~500mA) on both my phone and tablet. When using OEM cables(Samsung and Asus), my tablet was able to charge in AC mode(full rate), while my phone would still only charge in USB mode. The weird thing is, the generic single port charger I have is able to charge my phone in AC mode. If you're unfamiliar with the difference between USB and AC mode charging, nightanole explained it well in the other thread.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoomSchtick (Post 57687044)

Repped!

Quote:

Originally Posted by deeznutz206 (Post 57687440)
It really depends on the devices that you have and your uses. If your device can charge using the micro usb (both of mine can!), then this eliminates the need to carry an extra cable. But I agree that that is a good deal for those that want to open usb ports.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rezer (Post 57688608)

Quote:

Originally Posted by deeznutz206 (Post 57688722)
Yep, that other charger only charges at 2A or 1A per which port you use. This Anker can charge @ 3.1A if one device is plugged in.

2p1o 02-19-2013 12:56 PM

Thanks op

elektrosha 02-19-2013 01:00 PM

I bought new trent one from previous FP deal, same 2.1A and 1A and i can say that it is junk. My old griffin powerjolt with 1A output charge phone faster and does not stop charging if the phone gets warm from navigation and internet radio, like the new trent does in either one of outputs. Can't say anything about this one, but might be same junk. Just my 2cents

rsveteran 02-19-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inspyral (Post 57689268)
I linked these chargers in the thread for the Haier deal a while back. I ordered them and found that for my devices(Galaxy Nexus phone and Nexus 7 tablet), the actual charging results were inconsistent. The generic USB cable included with the NewTrent chargers seems to limit charging to USB mode(~500mA) on both my phone and tablet. When using OEM cables(Samsung and Asus), my tablet was able to charge in AC mode(full rate), while my phone would still only charge in USB mode. The weird thing is, the generic single port charger I have is able to charge my phone in AC mode. If you're unfamiliar with the difference between USB and AC mode charging, nightanole explained it well in the other thread.

So if I already have a modified cable, I should get 1A and 2.1A out, respectively? Do I need to modify the charger too?

OwaN 02-19-2013 01:20 PM

Whats the quality like on this thing? I find that most cheap car chargers introduce a ton of interference when listening to the radio. I've had a few that didn't do that that I don't have anymore for whatever reason and I'd like to replace the cheap ones that drown out my radio every time I plug them in

snotrag 02-19-2013 01:23 PM

I just love experts. The current rating is what the device can provide. If you hook up a device that draws .5 amps, that is all it will draw.

gergev 02-19-2013 01:30 PM

Will it charge touchpad?

microkelvin 02-19-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snotrag (Post 57690130)
I just love experts. The current rating is what the device can provide. If you hook up a device that draws .5 amps, that is all it will draw.

the device draws or the current flows?

regal 02-19-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snotrag (Post 57690130)

And what about when you hook up a device that wants 950mA but the USB or charger will only charge in USB mode which makes the device only request 500mA? That's what the experts are talking about. What's the issue here?

nynate 02-19-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reactions (Post 57687820)

Quote:

Originally Posted by deeznutz206 (Post 57688658)
Errrrr ok. Having a cable sticking out doesn't really bother me. If this charger is being used, then there always will be a wire sticking out.

I use retractable charging cables so I dont have cables lying around when not in use. This is why I dont like the permanently attatched wire on this.

snotrag 02-19-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by microkelvin (Post 57690600)
the device draws or the current flows?

Simple enough? [makezine.com]

inspyral 02-19-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsveteran (Post 57689750)
So if I already have a modified cable, I should get 1A and 2.1A out, respectively? Do I need to modify the charger too?

I think you can either mod the cable, or the charger itself, as long as you're shorting the data pins. Again, it really depends on your device and how it regulates charging current. Some might work fine with no mods, while others will need the data pins shorted.

OneIsntEnough 02-19-2013 02:46 PM

If you dont need the dual ports...this is a MUCH better deal.

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Ve...ar+charger

rsveteran 02-19-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneIsntEnough (Post 57692112)

That's only 950mA

regal 02-19-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

That's the SAME price.

EricL30 02-19-2013 02:55 PM

Taking a car trip down the coast in a few weeks. In for 1 to charge my ipod while im charging my phone. Thanks OP

Quote:

False? You get less?

OneIsntEnough 02-19-2013 03:14 PM

5 left in stock.

OneIsntEnough 02-19-2013 03:22 PM

Okay i was wrong. This is far superior to what i posted before. In for 2.

bcmbkup 02-19-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regal (Post 57690752)
And what about when you hook up a device that wants 950mA but the USB or charger will only charge in USB mode which makes the device only request 500mA? That's what the experts are talking about. What's the issue here?

That's often because the charger did not tell the device that it is a AC wall charger and more power can be drew from it safely. The needed signal usually vary from device to device.

KDeezy415 02-19-2013 04:03 PM

Oos...

ParadigmShift 02-19-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcmbkup (Post 57693198)
That's often because the charger did not tell the device that it is a AC wall charger and more power can be drew from it safely. The needed signal usually vary from device to device.

There is no 2-way communication with a USB charger. That only happens on a PC. I can assure you, if you were to disassemble this charger, there would only be connections on 2 of the 4 pins (2 being power and 2 being TX/RX) on the USB port.

Any device that supplies power will have a maximum amperage rating and any device that draws power will have a power requirement.

Generally speaking, you need your power supply (ie, charger) to simply supply enough power. If your power supply can supply more power, fine. It makes no difference to the device. It's not the power supply determining how much current to "give" the device, but rather the device that determines how much power it needs to draw, up to the maximum the power supply can give.

Consider your home power circuits. They are typically 15 ampers. That doesn't mean when you plug in your TV, 15 amps are delivered to it and the TV explodes. The TV simply draws the amount of current it needs. The more current a circuit provides, the more quantity and power-hungry of devices you can supply with that circuit.

What happens when you try to turn on the microwave, dishwasher, and a blender all at once? The circuit breaker trips. That's exactly what will happen in any power supply. Generally, they will just shut off, but cheaper devices like this have a fuse:

Quote:

Safe & Reliable - A built-in fuse to prevent short circuit, overload, and over-voltage

lano1717 02-19-2013 04:34 PM

Must be back in stock, just bought one. Thanks OP

smt0222 02-19-2013 04:34 PM

Still in stock 4:34 PM PST... just purchased one... thanks OP!

argothiusz 02-19-2013 04:53 PM

Awesome deal! Bought it for $10 last week for SF trip. I can confirm that it works with iPAD :D

burticus 02-19-2013 05:33 PM

Bought one for $6 shipped. TU and repped. Can always use a spare for the other car.

harpwned 02-19-2013 05:35 PM

be aware these guys fail sometimes...i recently got one when they were free with the astro 3e 10000 mAh battery. After my car charger failed, they sent me a new one that's been working well thus far.

although, their customer service has bad english and hasn't given me the amazon gift card they promised me....and it's been almost 2 weeks now of back and forth correspondence

jgcsd 02-19-2013 05:39 PM

Now up to $12+

deeznutz206 02-19-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgcsd (Post 57695582)
Now up to $12+

Yep, looks like the deal is over. Hope those who wanted this got one at the sale price.

hishai 02-19-2013 06:37 PM

Showing OOS for me :(

ikas 02-19-2013 06:40 PM

deal dead ?
shows $13 on amazon now...

amazingtrojan 02-19-2013 06:45 PM

got 2 earlier today.

ciris 02-19-2013 07:30 PM

I was on here to get in on this deal but missed it. However I do feel inclined to express a throw back phrase: DEEZ NUTZ!

kekwowse01 02-19-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ParadigmShift (Post 57693776)
There is no 2-way communication with a USB charger. That only happens on a PC. I can assure you, if you were to disassemble this charger, there would only be connections on 2 of the 4 pins (2 being power and 2 being TX/RX) on the USB port.

Any device that supplies power will have a maximum amperage rating and any device that draws power will have a power requirement.

Generally speaking, you need your power supply (ie, charger) to simply supply enough power. If your power supply can supply more power, fine. It makes no difference to the device. It's not the power supply determining how much current to "give" the device, but rather the device that determines how much power it needs to draw, up to the maximum the power supply can give.

Consider your home power circuits. They are typically 15 ampers. That doesn't mean when you plug in your TV, 15 amps are delivered to it and the TV explodes. The TV simply draws the amount of current it needs. The more current a circuit provides, the more quantity and power-hungry of devices you can supply with that circuit.

What happens when you try to turn on the microwave, dishwasher, and a blender all at once? The circuit breaker trips. That's exactly what will happen in any power supply. Generally, they will just shut off, but cheaper devices like this have a fuse:

I hold a different opinion on the USB part as my cell sometime would recognize my 1A wall charger as USB charger and only draw power at a slower rate. A simple remove and reinsert the device-side USB (micro USB) would help the device to correctly recognize the charger and draw at higher current. I am not suggesting 2 way communication, but I am sure the hardware configurations provide the difference. At last, according to my knowledge, HP Touchpad, ASUS Transformer and some Apple products would require special hardware configuration on the charger/USB cable to tell the device to charge at faster rate. (Well, I do have to agree ASUS Transformer maybe a totally different case)

Slimeyface 02-20-2013 12:13 AM

Every time i read the brand name, I think of Jackie Chan movies

Pablo Francisco knows what Im talkin about

Rezer 02-20-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ParadigmShift (Post 57693776)

Wrong. The method of communication is *very* simplistic, but it does occur. The charger has the D+ and D- lines either tied together or connected through a voltage divider to the VCC and GND lines. When the device sees the expected voltage on D+ and D-, or D+ and D- shorted together (it varies between apple, android, palm, etc), then the device will charge at its maximum rate. This is part of the USB spec, any charge pulled over 100ma must be negotiated with the host. In the case of chargers, the negotiation process is very simplistic. Do some research before you go making claims that have absolutely no basis in reality. [wikipedia.org]

rsveteran 02-20-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rezer (Post 57709816)
The charger has the D+ and D- lines either tied together or connected through a voltage divider to the VCC and GND lines.When the device sees the expected voltage on D+ and D-, or D+ and D- shorted together (it varies between apple, android, palm, etc), then the device will charge at its maximum rate.

When I was researching charge-only USB cables, I saw the same D+, D- terminology. I thought these lines were for data transmission only, so why would they be in a charger?

mrk829 02-20-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shane.kelly55 (Post 57687912)
Tried, Nadia said no.

why did she say no? they have 30 day policy and I have never had any trouble

inspyral 02-20-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsveteran (Post 57710108)
When I was researching charge-only USB cables, I saw the same D+, D- terminology. I thought these lines were for data transmission only, so why would they be in a charger?

I think it's because the device being charged will look for a signal/voltage to determine if it's connected to a USB port or a wall/car charger, as Rezer pointed out:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rezer (Post 57709816)
When the device sees the expected voltage on D+ and D-, or D+ and D- shorted together (it varies between apple, android, palm, etc), then the device will charge at its maximum rate.

shane.kelly55 02-20-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrk829 (Post 57712156)
why did she say no? they have 30 day policy and I have never had any trouble

My first purchase was not thru Amazon.