Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Deal Talk (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Asus K55A-DH71 15.6" Notebook Core i7-3630QM 2.4GHz, 4GB, 500GB HDD Windows 8 $550 + Free Shipping (Ebay Daily Deal) (http://slickdeals.net/f/5873270-asus-k55a-dh71-15-6-notebook-core-i7-3630qm-2-4ghz-4gb-500gb-hdd-windows-8-550-free-shipping-ebay-daily-deal)

DJ3xclusive 02-24-2013 07:46 AM

Asus K55A-DH71 15.6" Notebook Core i7-3630QM 2.4GHz, 4GB, 500GB HDD Windows 8 $550 + Free Shipping (Ebay Daily Deal)
 
1 Attachment(s)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390547850208

yuugotserved 02-24-2013 07:46 AM

Asus K55A-DH71 Notebook: Core i7 3630QM 2.4GHz, 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD, 15.6" 1366x768 LED, Intel HD 4000, 6-cell, Windows 8 $550 + Free Shipping
 
1 Attachment(s)
Adorama via eBay has Asus K55A-DH71 Notebook for $549.99 with free shipping. Thanks DJ3xclusive

Specs
  • Intel Core i7 3630QM 2.4GHz
  • 4GB DDR3
  • 500GB HDD
  • 15.6" 1366x768 LED
  • Intel HD 4000 Graphics
  • DVD±RW Drive
  • WiFi N
  • 6-cell Battery
  • Windows 8
Price Research: Our research indicates that Asus K55A-DH71 Notebook is $100 lower (15% savings) than the next best available price from a reputable merchant with prices ranging from $650 to $700. - yuugotserved

wikipost 02-24-2013 07:46 AM

This post can and should be edited by users like you :)
 
Lots of good points made in this thread. Read it before clicking buy...

Pzark41 02-24-2013 07:58 AM

If I had any need for a CPU more powerful than my current desktop - I'd be all over this.

Do note tho: Intel HD Graphics 4000

elfnumber1 02-24-2013 08:07 AM

Is this a good deal? Seems like it would be. But so much talk about screen reso's on smaller lappies and this one us the same on a 15"

Pzark41 02-24-2013 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elfnumber1 (Post 57792438)
Is this a good deal? Seems like it would be. But so much talk about screen reso's on smaller lappies and this one us the same on a 15"

I'd say it's a good deal - nothing spectacular. If it had a decent GPU no doubt it would be FP.

halfrless 02-24-2013 08:43 AM

1366 x 768 Native Resolution

I want an i7 laptop, but don't want to settle for this low resolution screen. I may settle for 1600x900, but would prefer 1920x1080.

Nate650 02-24-2013 08:55 AM

$100 more at Newegg [newegg.com].

gabe23111 02-24-2013 09:59 AM

Nice :)

:thanks:

scottym19342 02-24-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate650 (Post 57793144)
$100 more at Newegg [newegg.com].

$100 more at Amazon, too

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-K55A-D...B009F1E7EK

Zavelin 02-24-2013 10:06 AM

Yep, cost savings are realized due to the meh GPU and resolution. But this certainly is a great deal for someone out there.

scottym19342 02-24-2013 10:07 AM

My Dad needs a computer, wanted to get the $265 Lenovo the other day. Thinking about pulling the trigger on this. Would have to reformat to Win 7.

ScorpioRising 02-24-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halfrless (Post 57792954)
1366 x 768 Native Resolution

I want an i7 laptop, but don't want to settle for this low resolution screen. I may settle for 1600x900, but would prefer 1920x1080.

This. I got a Dell Inspiron 15R SE with 1080p, HD4000 and AMD 7730M graphics with core i5 (not i7) 2.5MHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB drive, Ivy Bridge for a tad less than this price a few months ago from the Dell outlet. Granted, it was a refurb and a Dell, not an ASUS, but I'd expect more for this price. When our phones have better resoution than laptops, something is wrong.

phillosis 02-24-2013 10:51 AM

decent deal

APhamX 02-24-2013 10:53 AM

Please, no more 1366 x 768 resolution laptops... Please... :c

elite001 02-24-2013 10:54 AM

how's the battery life for this particular lappy.... anyone know can last how long?

jerobahn 02-24-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by APhamX (Post 57795212)
Please, no more 1366 x 768 resolution laptops... Please... :c

this this this this this.

so sick of super sucky resolution on these laptops. Cracks me up that a 15" laptop comes with less than 1/2 the resolution of some 10" tablets.

boruguru 02-24-2013 11:04 AM

Not a balanced system. Slow Drive, Not good resolution. If they want to have a i7 CPU, they better have decent Drive, Memory, and Screen to go with it. Don't buy this crap, Go with a i5 with a fast SSD and good resolution screen for same money and you will be happier than this. .

elfnumber1 02-24-2013 11:33 AM

all good to know comments, i will pass. thanks op and all.

BobbyT9721 02-24-2013 12:39 PM

How is ASUS, looks like all of the reviews are good but sometimes it is hard to tell!

ggoblin 02-24-2013 12:39 PM

How does this compare to the Toshiba L855-S5372 that was at Staples for $452.50 last week? I know the Toshiba is better but is this one even close?
The specs on that one:
Intel Core i7-3630QM
15.6" 1366x768 LED-Backlit Display
6GB DDR3 1600MHz SDRAM Memory (expandable to 16 GB)
640GB Hard Drive (5400 RPM, Serial ATA)
Mobile Intel® HD 4000 Graphics
DVD Super-Multi Drive (+/-R & Double-Layer)
1 USB 2.0 Port, 2 USB 3.0 Ports
Memory Card Reader
HDMI Output
48 Wh 6-Cell Battery
Windows 8

Lukkie 02-24-2013 01:13 PM

Staples deal had a little more RAM (4gb vs 6gb), and a bit more HDD space (640gb vs 500gb). I don't care about HDD sapce too much, but 4gb of RAM is too little for me (I am a crazy multitasker), hell even 6gb is a bit low. I prefer at least 8gb which is the most you usually see stock in notebooks. Either way, this is still a great deal. The Intel 4000 graphics is actually pretty decent, I have one in an i5 notebook and it runs a lot of games (such as Diablo 3) very well even with the details on medium-high (just have to turn off shadows).

elektrosha 02-24-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ggoblin (Post 57796980)
How does this compare to the Toshiba L855-S5372 that was at Staples for $452.50 last week? I know the Toshiba is better but is this one even close?
The specs on that one:
Intel Core i7-3630QM
15.6" 1366x768 LED-Backlit Display
6GB DDR3 1600MHz SDRAM Memory (expandable to 16 GB)
640GB Hard Drive (5400 RPM, Serial ATA)
Mobile Intel® HD 4000 Graphics
DVD Super-Multi Drive (+/-R & Double-Layer)
1 USB 2.0 Port, 2 USB 3.0 Ports
Memory Card Reader
HDMI Output
48 Wh 6-Cell Battery
Windows 8

I would take Asus over Toshiba any day. Better quality stuff.

JustaGeek 02-24-2013 01:16 PM

What he said...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by boruguru (Post 57795410)
Not a balanced system. Slow Drive, Not good resolution. If they want to have a i7 CPU, they better have decent Drive, Memory, and Screen to go with it. Don't buy this crap, Go with a i5 with a fast SSD and good resolution screen for same money and you will be happier than this. .

Fully agreed!

I don't understand the high end processor with a slow drive and a 4GB of RAM.

And to top it off, a 0.3 Megapixel camera!

Every single HP laptop advertised here has an HD camera.

I would not recommend this laptop to anyone. Buy an i3 laptop for $200 less and you won't feel any difference in performance.

iBoo 02-24-2013 01:17 PM

consumer laptops aren't good but for the price

Devaney1984 02-24-2013 01:19 PM

TU thanks, will upgrade to 8 gb of ram for ~$20. Love my last ASUS but could use an upgrade.

76 sold already, will probably sell out today?

Edit: just hit FP, so yup.

Kiev 02-24-2013 01:24 PM

Why do people complain about having a slow drive? Most people will take out the slow drive and put in a 128 or 256 ssd for cheap like a M4. Then use the mechanical as an external for swapping files and image backups.

The resolution is the only valid complaint, should be 900p, but won't get 1080p for this price.

Memory is another cheap upgrade, but ideally should come with 6 at this price.

guest2011 02-24-2013 01:36 PM

i bought an asus notebook once. it's a gamble. always buy 2 in case need to RMA one, because you may not see it for a few or four months.

any new chipset coming out this year?

crazyrowser 02-24-2013 01:43 PM

For basic adobe premiere editing is this a good laptop to use?

Renaissanceman 02-24-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottym19342 (Post 57794348)
My Dad needs a computer, wanted to get the $265 Lenovo the other day. Thinking about pulling the trigger on this. Would have to reformat to Win 7.

Yeah, I prefer Lenovo to Asus and the OD deal was AWESOME. (Got two of them and used coupons AFTER sale). I don't understand needing to go to Windows 7 though. Windows 8 runs better, faster and safer and has a few options that 7 doesn't. Plus if you use a program like ClassicShell you can add a start button, bypass the Metro screen and go straight to desktop and more! http://download.cnet.com/Classic-...53853.html :confused:

toywlf 02-24-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halfrless (Post 57792954)
1366 x 768 Native Resolution

I want an i7 laptop, but don't want to settle for this low resolution screen. I may settle for 1600x900, but would prefer 1920x1080.

I love it that HD is now considered "low resolution". :). Bring on the 4Kx2K resolution! I need new TVs & Blu-rays anyway... I might wait until the the Standards take hold, though.

Kiev 02-24-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyrowser (Post 57798078)
For basic adobe premiere editing is this a good laptop to use?

I am far from an expert, but I would say no since it has no dedicated video card and only 720p resolution. Then again it would depend on your definition of basic.

mwgrad 02-24-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustaGeek (Post 57797554)
Fully agreed!

I don't understand the high end processor with a slow drive and a 4GB of RAM.

And to top it off, a 0.3 Megapixel camera!

Every single HP laptop advertised here has an HD camera.

I would not recommend this laptop to anyone. Buy an i3 laptop for $200 less and you won't feel any difference in performance.

Agreed.
This build makes no sense.

It is not really a good buy IMHO because the Whole is definitely less than the sum of the parts in this case.

I

crazyrowser 02-24-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiev (Post 57798310)
I am far from an expert, but I would say no since it has no dedicated video card and only 720p resolution. Then again it would depend on your definition of basic.

Basic would be editing videos taken from my gopro hero3...nothing up there like adding effects...maybe just slow motion since it records up to 120 fps but basic video editing from marathons and bike rides :look:

Dave89 02-24-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyrowser (Post 57798408)
Basic would be editing videos taken from my gopro hero3...nothing up there like adding effects...maybe just slow motion since it records up to 120 fps but basic video editing from marathons and bike rides :look:

Yes this is enough for just that.

diablofreak 02-24-2013 02:16 PM

17" and still 1366 resolution smfh

Kryspie 02-24-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyrowser (Post 57798408)
Basic would be editing videos taken from my gopro hero3...nothing up there like adding effects...maybe just slow motion since it records up to 120 fps but basic video editing from marathons and bike rides :look:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave89 (Post 57798556)
Yes this is enough for just that.


Yes the CPU is enough, but I would pop out the HDD and swap it with an SSD. And then take the DVD drive out and pop the HDD back in there. The SSD will make a world of difference when photo/video editing, I would argue more than the dGPU would. The SSD will speed up your entire workflow, dGPU would help only in encoding.

Dave89 02-24-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kryspie (Post 57798720)
Yes the CPU is enough, but I would pop out the HDD and swap it with an SSD. And then take the DVD drive out and pop the HDD back in there. The SSD will make a world of difference when photo/video editing, I would argue more than the dGPU would. The SSD will speed up your entire workflow, dGPU would help only in encoding.

I would probably do the same if it was me buying it, but it sounds like this is good enough for his needs.

Holysmoke 02-24-2013 02:32 PM

:lol:an i7 paired with 5400 rpm drive

stylingal 02-24-2013 02:34 PM

Thanks for the input guys. Looking on behalf of friend, but will pass.

AznCracker 02-24-2013 02:37 PM

hmm how did this become FP with so little votes? standards are slipping

blackb1rd88 02-24-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diablofreak (Post 57798622)
17" and still 1366 resolution smfh

It's 15"

OliverTwisterJr 02-24-2013 02:51 PM

The search continues
 
:(Another Front-Page Laptop with only a 1366 x 768 resolution

Fincoon 02-24-2013 03:03 PM

Asus are nice laptops, but resolution of 1366 x 768 is subpar on a 15" laptop. No dedicated graphics card. The search continues.

woxe 02-24-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyT9721 (Post 57796964)
How is ASUS, looks like all of the reviews are good but sometimes it is hard to tell!

asus is great. comes with 1 year manufacturer warranty. you also get accident warranty like keyboard spills, but you have to register your laptop on the asus website (completely free)

i spilled water on my keyboard, and made the mistake of calling before registering. they said they could of fixed it for free, but i had already told them i damaged my laptop :[

menace33 02-24-2013 03:41 PM

Great processor, price, specs, but the max screen res limits the dedicated graphics on the whole which sucks. The rest is pretty good though.

Kryspie 02-24-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave89 (Post 57798802)
I would probably do the same if it was me buying it, but it sounds like this is good enough for his needs.


He's probably gonna need another 4GB stick of RAM too.

I know there's no time machine, but with that Staples deal last week and the prices on i7s dropping, coupled with Haswell coming this summer. I'd say $500 and under is the new sweet spot for 3rd gen i7s with no dGPUs. Also considering all the upgrades you'd still have to do with this machine after purchase.

6GB RAM and above should be the new standard. Especially for intro video editing.

canonikon 02-24-2013 04:56 PM

This is WAAAYYY better than this deal.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus-...ifications

yardguy00 02-24-2013 05:23 PM

why pair such a badass processor with NO nvidia/ati grfx implemented. Incredibly imbalanced.

nevershoutchris 02-24-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canonikon (Post 57801216)
This is WAAAYYY better than this deal.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus-...ifications

that's an i5.

Buckeyefan 1 02-24-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevershoutchris (Post 57801740)
that's an i5.

And same meh resolution.

VerbalEruptionZ 02-24-2013 06:30 PM

ppl want more but dont want to pay more....

heggood 02-24-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boruguru (Post 57795410)
Not a balanced system. Slow Drive, Not good resolution. If they want to have a i7 CPU, they better have decent Drive, Memory, and Screen to go with it. Don't buy this crap, Go with a i5 with a fast SSD and good resolution screen for same money and you will be happier than this. .


Link please? Where is this deal you speak of?

BasilR 02-24-2013 07:40 PM

What an unpredictable, non-repetitive thread!

GrandmasterBBC 02-24-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustaGeek (Post 57797554)
Buy an i3 laptop for $200 less and you won't feel any difference in performance.

While I agree that this system is lacking in comparison to the processor, I think this statement is off base. For processor intensive tasks, this i7 will still run circles around any i3 processor. Try playing a video game on each platform, for example, and tell me there is not noticable difference in performance.

SB1 02-24-2013 08:09 PM

So many haters in this thread. I bought a 160gb ssd for $90 and will buy another 4gb of matching ram once I see what is in it. Not bad for a $700 I7, 8gb, 160gb ssd laptop!

edplayer 02-24-2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fincoon (Post 57799316)
Asus are nice laptops, but resolution of 1366 x 768 is subpar on a 15" laptop.

par is the standard so reality is the opposite of what you posted.


Quote:

Originally Posted by menace33 (Post 57799866)
Great processor, price, specs, but the max screen res limits the dedicated graphics on the whole which sucks.

the other options on 15" screens are higher resolution so this res is going to get you the best performance (for gaming). The integrated graphics aren't very powerful.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Kryspie (Post 57799910)
6GB RAM and above should be the new standard. Especially for intro video editing.

more RAM would be good but RAM is the easiest thing to change on laptops (and usually fairly cheap). CPUs are not. If you need a quad core laptop and are OK with the res (or work with external monitors) this deal could be good for you.

randomsmash 02-24-2013 08:12 PM

It is disappointing that so many 15" laptops are still 1366x768.

I think the new iPhones have a higher res than this.

SB1 02-24-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randomsmash (Post 57804668)
It is disappointing that so many 15" laptops are still 1366x768.

I think the new iPhones have a higher res than this.

I always see posts on SD about the crappy 720P resolutions and integrated graphics making these laptops not worth getting. The reason they sell is because people like me need them for things other than gaming and graphics and I have purchased several in the last two months because they are a bargain and increase productivity for my employees using these. I need fast laptops with minimal graphics and I rarely see any SDers saying this. If you want better graphics, spend more money and quit bitching. There are models for every purpose but you have to pay for upgrades if you need them. Go stock up on some tampons while you wait for your dream gamer deal....

edplayer 02-24-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SB1 (Post 57805044)
I always see posts on SD about the crappy 720P resolutions and integrated graphics making these laptops not worth getting. The reason they sell is because people like me need them for things other than gaming and graphics and I have purchased several in the last two months because they are a bargain and increase productivity for my employees using these. I need fast laptops with minimal graphics and I rarely see any SDers saying this. If you want better graphics, spend more money and quit bitching. There are models for every purpose but you have to pay for upgrades if you need them. Go stock up on some tampons while you wait for your dream gamer deal....



Reps for a good post.

Tired of reading all these ding dongs complaining about why a laptop priced cheaply for its specs doesn't come with the most expensive display.

Ryuk 02-24-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boruguru (Post 57795410)
Not a balanced system. Slow Drive, Not good resolution. If they want to have a i7 CPU, they better have decent Drive, Memory, and Screen to go with it. Don't buy this crap, Go with a i5 with a fast SSD and good resolution screen for same money and you will be happier than this. .

Link or at least a name of such laptop for this price?

SB1 02-24-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edplayer (Post 57805130)
Reps for a good post.

Tired of reading all these ding dongs complaining about why a laptop priced cheaply for its specs doesn't come with the most expensive display.

seriously! thanks for stepping up!. for the record I have a G74SX as well and I paid more for it because I CARED ABOUT GRAPHICS AND WAS WILLING TO PAY FOR IT!

Dillweed 02-24-2013 09:18 PM

Not a deal at all. $500 for a machine w/ a 720p display a power hungry CPU and no GPU isn't worth $500. Doesn't matter if it's the best price for the "specs" --it's just a bad buy. Too may corners cut and too high a price.

Dillweed 02-24-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryuk (Post 57805230)
Link or at least a name of such laptop for this price?

A Lenovo G585 on newegg for $500 comes with the same speed drive and display, but with an A8+7670m.

Dillweed 02-24-2013 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kryspie (Post 57799910)
He's probably gonna need another 4GB stick of RAM too.

I know there's no time machine, but with that Staples deal last week and the prices on i7s dropping, coupled with Haswell coming this summer. I'd say $500 and under is the new sweet spot for 3rd gen i7s with no dGPUs. Also considering all the upgrades you'd still have to do with this machine after purchase.

6GB RAM and above should be the new standard. Especially for intro video editing.

Why would you do video editing in anything but GPGPU? Are you using Sony Vegas or something else horribly antiquated?

Kryspie 02-24-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillweed (Post 57805692)
Why would you do video editing in anything but GPGPU? Are you using Sony Vegas or something else horribly antiquated?


Adobe CS6 and because of necessity and not wanting to pay the GPU premium. With the upgrade tips he's been given, he should be able to do entry level editing and still have a decent workflow, long length HD films or even 720p youtube clips over 20 mins might be a bit beyond his reach with this machine.

Keep in mind I work on an AMD so the "no dGPU" argument doesnt hit me quite as hard.....

mikelou26 02-24-2013 10:42 PM

too bad max memory only 8gb

Ryuk 02-24-2013 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillweed (Post 57805610)
A Lenovo G585 on newegg for $500 comes with the same speed drive and display, but with an A8+7670m.

I think you mean Z585, It has good spec but it's kinda heavy at 6 lbs. it might me suitable fit for my friend though so Thanks!

BoldIntrepid 02-25-2013 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SB1 (Post 57805044)
I always see posts on SD about the crappy 720P resolutions and integrated graphics making these laptops not worth getting. The reason they sell is because people like me need them for things other than gaming and graphics and I have purchased several in the last two months because they are a bargain and increase productivity for my employees using these. I need fast laptops with minimal graphics and I rarely see any SDers saying this. If you want better graphics, spend more money and quit bitching. There are models for every purpose but you have to pay for upgrades if you need them. Go stock up on some tampons while you wait for your dream gamer deal....

+1 for this

x2ruff4u 02-25-2013 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by APhamX (Post 57795212)
Please, no more 1366 x 768 resolution laptops... Please... :c

Lol I was just about to say that! :shake:

elite001 02-25-2013 02:29 AM

only if this was 17", it would definately a GO for me...

ScorpioRising 02-25-2013 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SB1 (Post 57805044)
I always see posts on SD about the crappy 720P resolutions and integrated graphics making these laptops not worth getting. The reason they sell is because people like me need them for things other than gaming and graphics and I have purchased several in the last two months because they are a bargain and increase productivity for my employees using these. I need fast laptops with minimal graphics and I rarely see any SDers saying this. If you want better graphics, spend more money and quit bitching. There are models for every purpose but you have to pay for upgrades if you need them. Go stock up on some tampons while you wait for your dream gamer deal....

This is crap. Your employees need more resolution. Resolution is not for gaming, it's to get more information on the screen at any one time so you don't have to go f$@#ing scrolling all over the place. I am not a gamer and don't need anything beyond an HD4000, but I can tell you the higher the resolution the more productive you will be. Our minds are capable of comprehending much more information on the screen, and with all the frickin' toolbars and such on Windows, there's not a lot of room left for real content. Especially _vertically_.

These low resolutions sell because they are pushed down our throats by the manufacturers. They are cheap to make. But another $20 or so in manufacturer costs will get you 1600x900. We as a consumer need to demand more, especially when phones and tablets have better resolutions.

Zephon13 02-25-2013 06:58 AM

Here we go again. Another FP deal for a 720p craptop.

Zephon13 02-25-2013 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SB1 (Post 57805044)
I always see posts on SD about the crappy 720P resolutions and integrated graphics making these laptops not worth getting. The reason they sell is because people like me need them for things other than gaming and graphics and I have purchased several in the last two months because they are a bargain and increase productivity for my employees using these. I need fast laptops with minimal graphics and I rarely see any SDers saying this. If you want better graphics, spend more money and quit bitching. There are models for every purpose but you have to pay for upgrades if you need them. Go stock up on some tampons while you wait for your dream gamer deal....

Apparently you have no idea what the hell resolution is for. The more pixels you have available on the display, the larger your effective workspace is. Oh yea, bro is takes some super complicated science to figure out that simple little fact.

Get out of here with your uneducated crap. Some people need real laptops to get real work done. Stop spreading misinformation.

1080p or no deal. Not only is it a waste of an i7, it's integrated graphics, and the entire laptop itself, it's a waste of my time for having to read this crap.

Even my phone is 1080p.

Zephon13 02-25-2013 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toywlf (Post 57798246)
I love it that HD is now considered "low resolution". :). Bring on the 4Kx2K resolution! I need new TVs & Blu-rays anyway... I might wait until the the Standards take hold, though.

Yea bro 720p is so up to date. Bro, it's so cutting edge that I used to use that on my CRT's back in the 90's.

mwgrad 02-25-2013 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zephon13 (Post 57809506)
Apparently you have no idea what the hell resolution is for. The more pixels you have available on the display, the larger your effective workspace is. Oh yea, bro is takes some super complicated science to figure out that simple little fact.

Get out of here with your uneducated crap. Some people need real laptops to get real work done. Stop spreading misinformation.

1080p or no deal. Not only is it a waste of an i7, it's integrated graphics, and the entire laptop itself, it's a waste of my time for having to read this crap.

Even my phone is 1080p.

And if you want a "FASTER" laptop, this is likely not it...........

In General, the Processing Power is overkill for nearly all tasks.
Especially tasks that require the mobility of a laptop.

A nice SSD and I5 would be much faster and not cost more for nearly all tasks.
It would also use less power and increase it's "Mobility".

The comments about using it to convert HD Movies is funny, since you can't even properly view them on this box.

How about a higher end wireless card instead of the relatively chea one they popped in there. This is another major area of performance.

The DELAYS and SLOWNESS most people experience have NOTHING to do with the CPU so WASTING money on a faster CPU and not on the bottlenecks is just DUMB.

This is only a good deal if you have VERY specialized and VERY unique needs and those needs will require you to likely rip out parts such as the HDD which means it is not really $550.

Simply put, if the i5 to i7 costs were applied to upgrade other parts of the laptop it would be a good deal, but sadly since bottlenecks were not addressed it will really not be much faster if at all than laptops $100-$200 less because the CPU is NOT the bottleneck.

Zephon13 02-25-2013 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwgrad (Post 57809860)
And if you want a "FASTER" laptop, this is likely not it...........

In General, the Processing Power is overkill for nearly all tasks.
Especially tasks that require the mobility of a laptop.

An nice SSD and I5 would be much faster and not cost more for nearly all tasks.
It would also use less power and increase it's "Mobility".

The comments about using it to convert HD Movies is funny, since you can't even properly view them on this box.

How about a higher end wireless card instead of the relatively chea one they popped in there. This is another major area of performance.

The DELAYS and SLOWNESS most people experience have NOTHING to do with the CPU so WASTING money on a faster CPU and not on the bottlenecks is just DUMB.

This is only a good deal if you have VERY specialized and VERY unique needs and those needs will require you to likely rip out parts such as the HDD which means it is not really $550.

Let's be honest, people just see i7 and $550 and think it's a deal. They have no clue what a bottleneck even is. When you throw an i7 onto a system with slow memory, slow drive, and a crap display, you have a cheap little machine that will attract a bunch of people who have no clue how any of it works or what they even need for that matter.

randomsmash 02-25-2013 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SB1 (Post 57805044)
I always see posts on SD about the crappy 720P resolutions and integrated graphics making these laptops not worth getting. The reason they sell is because people like me need them for things other than gaming and graphics and I have purchased several in the last two months because they are a bargain and increase productivity for my employees using these. I need fast laptops with minimal graphics and I rarely see any SDers saying this. If you want better graphics, spend more money and quit bitching. There are models for every purpose but you have to pay for upgrades if you need them. Go stock up on some tampons while you wait for your dream gamer deal....

I always see posts bitching about my bitching. Like yours.

On the subject of tampons...doubtlessly, you're an expert in that field. Care to tell me where to find a good tampon deal?

Here's a free tip to increase your "worker's productivity." High resolution means more retail space on their screen, which leads to more things they can see at once, which leads to...you guessed it, boss-man, increased productivity!

I don't see how someone supposedly working at a leading position in a business can't see such a simple connection.

Michael-M 02-25-2013 08:19 AM

Wish this was in a 13" configuration [with a webcam that didn't suck].

Dillweed 02-25-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kryspie (Post 57806352)
Adobe CS6 and because of necessity and not wanting to pay the GPU premium. With the upgrade tips he's been given, he should be able to do entry level editing and still have a decent workflow, long length HD films or even 720p youtube clips over 20 mins might be a bit beyond his reach with this machine.

Keep in mind I work on an AMD so the "no dGPU" argument doesnt hit me quite as hard.....

I'd agree with 2 major caviats.

#1 This drive is too slow and the RAM sucks. No way I'd ever go conversion, editing or transcoding on anything without a GPU(or APU), SSD and good RAM.

One corner cut is okay --four (including the resolution) is too many.

#2 An APU is the only mobile CPU worth a damn outside of desktop replacements. Intel gets raped in mobile performance below 45w (AMD doesn't even make a 45w mobile APU) and AMD gets better battery life.

Thing is, Intel is back at their BS a la Prescott v. Athlon. AMD isn't even readily availible --and AMD's contracts are disappearing despite massive desire to own them. Not to mention no APU machine on the market is even availible properly configured OOB. Just stupid...

Dillweed 02-25-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryuk (Post 57806606)
I think you mean Z585, It has good spec but it's kinda heavy at 6 lbs. it might me suitable fit for my friend though so Thanks!

Yes, I mean Z585. I've bought 4 this year so far, and all are top notch. My sister, mother, mother's boss and wife all use one for home PCs. All are in love, and I think for almost everyone it's a damn good deal. Intel is irrellevant outside of 45w CPUs w/ a discrete GPU now that APU+GPU boxes are so cheap.

jordanb9095 02-25-2013 12:46 PM

So if this is a craptop, what good laptops are out there at this price point?

Dillweed 02-25-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jordanb9095 (Post 57818386)
So if this is a craptop, what good laptops are out there at this price point?

Depends on what you want. Lenovo has a z585 w/ an A8-4500m and a 7670m which can crossfire for insane gaming or media value for your money. You've also got an option in occasional sales for HP's DV6z w/ an A10-4600m and free 1080p screen upgrade for about $50 more.

Then you'll find several decent i5+low end Nvidia GPUs for the same budget.

It's about what you need in a PC. To use the overblown car analogy --don't buy a sports car if what you need is a hatchback, and don't buy a minivan when you really need a pickup. Get what you need for what you're doing.

Kryspie 02-25-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillweed (Post 57815100)
I'd agree with 2 major caviats.

#1 This drive is too slow and the RAM sucks. No way I'd ever go conversion, editing or transcoding on anything without a GPU(or APU), SSD and good RAM.

One corner cut is okay --four (including the resolution) is too many.

#2 An APU is the only mobile CPU worth a damn outside of desktop replacements. Intel gets raped in mobile performance below 45w (AMD doesn't even make a 45w mobile APU) and AMD gets better battery life.

Thing is, Intel is back at their BS a la Prescott v. Athlon. AMD isn't even readily availible --and AMD's contracts are disappearing despite massive desire to own them. Not to mention no APU machine on the market is even availible properly configured OOB. Just stupid...

Drive is too slow is solved when SSD is in I would believe.


I argee with you about the APU but ill be honest, I would think the ideal solution for a power user would be i7 + dGPU. Preferably a dGPU of GT 650 and above. My only caveat about that setup is checking the temps and not wanting the CPU to run hot all the time. And also the price. Youre not gonna get that kind of power below $650 these days, for GT 650 or beyond, may have to pay even more.

APUs are awesome for people that want all around power without breaking the bank. Love how easy it is to overclock the Llano and some AMD fans prefer it over Trinity, its wild.

Dillweed 02-25-2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zephon13 (Post 57809770)
Yea bro 720p is so up to date. Bro, it's so cutting edge that I used to use that on my CRT's back in the 90's.


My CRT in the 90's was 1440*1200...

SB1 02-25-2013 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScorpioRising (Post 57808892)
This is crap. Your employees need more resolution. Resolution is not for gaming, it's to get more information on the screen at any one time so you don't have to go f$@#ing scrolling all over the place. I am not a gamer and don't need anything beyond an HD4000, but I can tell you the higher the resolution the more productive you will be. Our minds are capable of comprehending much more information on the screen, and with all the frickin' toolbars and such on Windows, there's not a lot of room left for real content. Especially _vertically_.

These low resolutions sell because they are pushed down our throats by the manufacturers. They are cheap to make. But another $20 or so in manufacturer costs will get you 1600x900. We as a consumer need to demand more, especially when phones and tablets have better resolutions.

We are running one program at a time and the lower resolution with larger text size works best for that software. There are no need for multiple windows etc.

A larger screen makes the software less effective and I will continue to buy laptops with this resolution until it makes the software more useful.

I am only commenting because so many of you tards always chime in about how a cheap laptop doesn't give you some sort of retina experience. STFU and spend some money if you want a better resolution. There are plenty of options.

SB1 02-25-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randomsmash (Post 57810298)
I always see posts bitching about my bitching. Like yours.

On the subject of tampons...doubtlessly, you're an expert in that field. Care to tell me where to find a good tampon deal?

Here's a free tip to increase your "worker's productivity." High resolution means more retail space on their screen, which leads to more things they can see at once, which leads to...you guessed it, boss-man, increased productivity!

I don't see how someone supposedly working at a leading position in a business can't see such a simple connection.

Fail. This thing with a new SSD and a fresh install of W7 is a very capable machine.

There are far more people in these forums crying about resolution at bargain prices just like you and I'm sure you have no problems finding tampons to fill your bloody gash.

Zephon13 02-26-2013 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SB1 (Post 57826304)
We are running one program at a time and the lower resolution with larger text size works best for that software. There are no need for multiple windows etc.

A larger screen makes the software less effective and I will continue to buy laptops with this resolution until it makes the software more useful.

I am only commenting because so many of you tards always chime in about how a cheap laptop doesn't give you some sort of retina experience. STFU and spend some money if you want a better resolution. There are plenty of options.

Hey retard, I've seen laptops with 1080p for cheaper than this. GTFO this thread, you have no clue what you're talking about.

Hell there's one right now with at least double the performance on FP for only $150 more. And you say they can't put a 1080p display on for this price... :lol:

jordanb9095 02-26-2013 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillweed (Post 57821824)
Depends on what you want. Lenovo has a z585 w/ an A8-4500m and a 7670m which can crossfire for insane gaming or media value for your money. You've also got an option in occasional sales for HP's DV6z w/ an A10-4600m and free 1080p screen upgrade for about $50 more.

Then you'll find several decent i5+low end Nvidia GPUs for the same budget.

It's about what you need in a PC. To use the overblown car analogy --don't buy a sports car if what you need is a hatchback, and don't buy a minivan when you really need a pickup. Get what you need for what you're doing.

I looked into the z585 and it has the same resolution and the processor has an average benchmark. For the other laptop, how can it be a free 1080p screen upgrade when it costs $50?

Zephon13 02-26-2013 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jordanb9095 (Post 57834750)
I looked into the z585 and it has the same resolution and the processor has an average benchmark. For the other laptop, how can it be a free 1080p screen upgrade when it costs $50?

From the context, it sounds like the laptop as a whole is $50 more, but you get a 1080p screen included...

Dillweed 02-26-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jordanb9095 (Post 57834750)
I looked into the z585 and it has the same resolution and the processor has an average benchmark. For the other laptop, how can it be a free 1080p screen upgrade when it costs $50?

The APU is more than good enough. If you need an explination on how benchmarks aren't viable, I can give you one, but it's easiest to say that Intel's benchmarks are geared around legacy code whereas AMDs are geared around total system performance. Both are slanted towards their stregnths, but Intel has more money for the spin game.

720P isn't bad *for gaming* because of increased frame rate but it's crap for productivity and movies. I would say if you only write papers and crunch numbers go super high res, but if you're a broke gamer go low res for the lonevity factor.

And the HP is $50 more than the Lenovo. It's availible with a 1080p screen. I had one myself and LOVED it, but HP is stupid and they send me an Arabic KB --so I returned it and ordered a European dual GPU Thinkpad via a family member. The Thinkpad is better but NOT cheap.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:08 AM.


1999-2014