Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Deal Talk (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Ticket To Ride (PC/Mac)- 2.99 - Amazon (Requires Steam) (http://slickdeals.net/f/5875720-ticket-to-ride-pc-mac-2-99-amazon-requires-steam)

Dude4God 02-25-2013 05:13 PM

Ticket To Ride (PC/Mac)- 2.99 - Amazon (Requires Steam)

1 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone!

I love ticket to ride the board game, and amazon has the PC/Mac version on sale.

Its normally 9.99 on steam but its only 2.99 on amazon right now.

Not only does it activate on steam, they require it.

http://www.amazon.com/Days-of-Won...et+to+ride

yuugotserved 02-25-2013 05:13 PM

Ticket to Ride (PC Digital Download) $2.25

1 Attachment(s)
Amazon has Ticket to Ride (PC Digital Download) for $2.99 - 25% off with promotion code CAGROCKS = $2.24. Thanks Dude4God

Note, game activates via Steam client

Price Research: Our research indicates that Ticket to Ride (PC Digital Download) is $8 lower (80% savings) than the next best available price from a reputable merchant with prices starting at $10. - yuugotserved

wikipost 02-25-2013 05:13 PM

This post can and should be edited by users like you :)

The coupon CAGROCKS is 25% off. One time use per account, don't use it on a game that is already cheap if you are looking to buy another, more expensive game where you could save an even greater amount.

Additional game information available on Steam (Including tutorial video).
Ticket to Ride [steampowered.com]

Krakn3Dfx 02-25-2013 05:28 PM

$2.24 w/ code CAGROCKS

Dude4God 02-25-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krakn3Dfx (Post 57825388)
$2.24 w/ code CAGROCKS

Thanks for the reminder...I forgot about that code.

donutman27 02-25-2013 06:03 PM

Nice. Awesome price!

Gamer X 02-25-2013 06:03 PM

If only you could play more than one person per computer... may get it yet, to work on strategy for when I finally cave and get the board game :)

aishian 02-25-2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamer X (Post 57825944)
If only you could play more than one person per computer... may get it yet, to work on strategy for when I finally cave and get the board game :)

Just cave in now, it's a great board game.

bleeper4 02-25-2013 06:50 PM

can you play multiplayer on it, whether on the same PC or via internet? Like, could I buy 2 copies for my wife and my computer and play each other?

Kryta 02-25-2013 07:19 PM

thxxxxx

anewdayrising79 02-25-2013 07:19 PM

It's a great game until you realize there is one way that wins 90% of the time and playing on half the map is a complete waste of time.

jephtastic 02-25-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anewdayrising79 (Post 57827368)
It's a great game until you realize there is one way that wins 90% of the time and playing on half the map is a complete waste of time.

are you talking about vs computer AI or does this apply to the board game also?

johnny5yu 02-25-2013 07:28 PM

can a laptop with no dedicated graphics card (ie Mobile IntelĀ® 4 Series Express Chipset Family) and 3gb RAM? thanks!

searingsteel 02-25-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleeper4 (Post 57826832)
can you play multiplayer on it, whether on the same PC or via internet? Like, could I buy 2 copies for my wife and my computer and play each other?

You can play it on any 2 computers as long as you have two steam accounts. If you also have the version on iPad, you should be able to play it against someone who is playing on a PC.

"When playing Online, you are connected to the same servers as the players of our Web and iPad versions, in addition to the PC and Mac."

http://store.steampowered.com/app...1_7_15__13

Solari 02-25-2013 07:31 PM

From the Steam website:

--PC System Requirements
Processor: Dual Core 1.6 GHz or better
Memory: 1GB (XP), 2GB (Vista), 2GB (Windows 7)
Hard Disk Space: 140 MB Free Space
Video Card: OpenGL 1.4 or higher
Sound: Windows supported Sound Card

--Mac System Requirements
Processor: Intel 1.6 GHz single core
Memory: 2 GB
Hard Disk Space: 250 MB
Video Card: 800x600 minimum resolution, 1024x768 or better recommended

Jeraden 02-25-2013 07:44 PM

Reading reviews, it seems the AI is horrible, so only really worth getting if you plan on playing online against other people.

FreeCake 02-25-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anewdayrising79 (Post 57827368)

Please do tell

rlochner 02-25-2013 07:48 PM

Is it possible to buy 2 copies in the same order?

johnny5yu 02-25-2013 07:51 PM

http://www.ononesoftware.com/support/607/

here's a site where you can download an exe to check what OpenGL is compatible with your computer

aquamane 02-25-2013 07:54 PM

Use the Coupon CAGROCKS for an additional 25% off on ONE PURCHASE ONLY On a single item. You cannot use it on multiple items or multiple times. I wasted my coupon on this game...

anewdayrising79 02-25-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jephtastic (Post 57827464)
are you talking about vs computer AI or does this apply to the board game also?

Board game. I've played it competitively at various cons, and it's really all about who can soak up the most 6 train tracks, maybe get longest train and finish the game first. They tried to fix this by adding Globe Trotter bonus in the 1910 expansion, but unless you get really unlucky, that still won't win a game. I used to think playing your tickets would win you the game, but that just isn't true. If you get a good east to west coast ticket, it certainly helps, but anything consisting of mostly 2 train tracks (ie, the large majority of the east coast) is a complete waste; you'd be better off taking the hit.

Think of it this way: a 6 train track is 15 points versus a 2 train track for 2 points. 1 pt per train versus 2.5 points per train. Not only that, but laying 3 separate tracks is 3 turns versus 1 turn for the 6 train track, so it's more economical in both trains and turns to take a 6 train track. There's really no reason you shouldn't aim for at least 5 of the (I think) 10 available 6 car tracks. You want at least 80 points from your train, not including longest route. LA to Vancouver and then to Montreal is a pretty common way to go.

Denial strategy rarely works, but Seattle - Portland, Pheonix to LA, Nashville to Atlanta and New Orleans to Houston are your best choke points if it looks like someone is building that way.

Typically, it is better to start in the middle and build out rather than starting at each end and trying to connect, but that isn't universally true. You just don't want to make it obvious where you're trying to go; someone who knows the routes will get the idea and take the best direct path if they think you'll get in the way.

rlochner 02-25-2013 08:28 PM

Just ordered 2 copies for myself and the wife, I'm hoping my friends who live in other states will follow suit. We've been playing Catan occasionally but I've been getting a little bored with that lately.

Chubby Chuck 02-25-2013 08:53 PM

Sweet deal. Great game!

722 02-25-2013 09:05 PM

One time use per account, don't use it on a game that is already cheap if you are looking to buy another.

nickware 02-25-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 722 (Post 57829152)
One time use per account, don't use it on a game that is already cheap if you are looking to buy another.

Good point. Added to the wiki.

jackc6900 02-25-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anewdayrising79 (Post 57828346)
Board game. I've played it competitively at various cons, and it's really all about who can soak up the most 6 train tracks, maybe get longest train and finish the game first. They tried to fix this by adding Globe Trotter bonus in the 1910 expansion, but unless you get really unlucky, that still won't win a game. I used to think playing your tickets would win you the game, but that just isn't true. If you get a good east to west coast ticket, it certainly helps, but anything consisting of mostly 2 train tracks (ie, the large majority of the east coast) is a complete waste; you'd be better off taking the hit.

Think of it this way: a 6 train track is 15 points versus a 2 train track for 2 points. 1 pt per train versus 2.5 points per train. Not only that, but laying 3 separate tracks is 3 turns versus 1 turn for the 6 train track, so it's more economical in both trains and turns to take a 6 train track. There's really no reason you shouldn't aim for at least 5 of the (I think) 10 available 6 car tracks. You want at least 80 points from your train, not including longest route. LA to Vancouver and then to Montreal is a pretty common way to go.

Denial strategy rarely works, but Seattle - Portland, Pheonix to LA, Nashville to Atlanta and New Orleans to Houston are your best choke points if it looks like someone is building that way.

Typically, it is better to start in the middle and build out rather than starting at each end and trying to connect, but that isn't universally true. You just don't want to make it obvious where you're trying to go; someone who knows the routes will get the idea and take the best direct path if they think you'll get in the way.

Come again...

Fallingeagle 02-25-2013 11:51 PM

Quote:

If you buy the board game there is a free code to activate the online PC game

DJSterf 02-26-2013 12:13 AM

My Solo games vs. Computer opponents have crashed three times out of four, good price, but not impressed with the game integrity thus far.

anewdayrising79 02-26-2013 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackc6900 (Post 57829816)
Come again...

If you couldn't follow that, you're beyond my ability to help. :wave::D

trikster2 02-26-2013 01:06 AM

The ipad version is also only $2.

Which is the better platform, PC or iPAD? It would seem an ipad would be a natural for board game simulation?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/t...54688?mt=8

wiredspider 02-26-2013 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikster2 (Post 57831450)

Which is the better platform, PC or iPAD? It would seem an ipad would be a natural for board game simulation?

That is just Europe?

deslock 02-26-2013 04:36 AM

I have two computers in the house. Do I need to buy two copies of this to install and activate on both of them? (I have to go to work shortly and don't have time to test it)

schpoopty 02-26-2013 06:38 AM

Could somebody please help me. I bought the game, followed the instructions, created a steam account, but cannot find the "add a game" part. Thanks!

schpoopty 02-26-2013 06:56 AM

I think I answered my own question. After creating a steam account online, I had to go to the icon on my desktop and go in that way, not just on the website.

coolzkillaz 02-26-2013 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anewdayrising79 (Post 57828346)
Board game. I've played it competitively at various cons, and it's really all about who can soak up the most 6 train tracks, maybe get longest train and finish the game first.

I'm most surprised that Ticket is played competitively, being such a casual game. Observing and slowly becoming an enthusiast, maybe I shouldn't be. Still a good board game for all ages and would recommend it. I can't speak for the PC/tablet versions, but besides the poor AI, it seems well received/recommended on Steam.

SD might need spoiler tags now that you've broke it ;).

woomer051 02-26-2013 07:23 AM

I've got a ticket to ride, but I don't care.

cnhardwick 02-26-2013 07:29 AM

Quote:

That link is to Ticket to Ride Europe Pocket. This is the US map. Pocket means iPhone app. The iPad app is $6.99.

cr33per 02-26-2013 08:29 AM

I don't know about competitively but the Europe map is more interesting to play and feels less choked up, if you have the opportunity to play that version :)

dorkino 02-26-2013 09:08 AM

Is the game itself good? The only Amazon review comes from someone rating it 2 out of 5 due to their own personal ineptitude; the rating has nothing at all to do with the quality of the product.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deslock (Post 57832566)
I have two computers in the house. Do I need to buy two copies of this to install and activate on both of them? (I have to go to work shortly and don't have time to test it)

If you want to play them simultaneously, yes. If you're going to be signed into Steam on only one PC at a time, then no, you don't need two copies.

jprimoz 02-26-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

... for when I finally cave and get the board game :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by aishian (Post 57826346)
Just cave in now, it's a great board game.

And, when you do cave, think about getting the 1910 expansion while you're at it. IMO, the cards included with the original board game are too small and the 1910 expansion fixes that.

dngrcnnn 02-26-2013 09:50 AM

Cool. Now all I need is for DoW to make Small World for Android and my day will be set.

Putts 02-26-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dngrcnnn (Post 57838946)
Cool. Now all I need is for DoW to make Small World for Android and my day will be set.

There is a Kickstarter campaign for Small World on Steam/Android that will be launched in two weeks.

nico07 02-26-2013 12:25 PM

Excellent board game. Though with real people playing the board game it becomes very crowded and stressful with four or five players.

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny5yu (Post 57827546)
can a laptop with no dedicated graphics card (ie Mobile IntelĀ® 4 Series Express Chipset Family) and 3gb RAM? thanks!

Absolutely, this is a flash style game that isn't demanding on your computers graphic processor.:nod:

AshleyH 02-26-2013 01:04 PM

Bought this. Went to try and get into my games and software library to get the steam code, and the page won't load, and it freezes the browser tab (Chrome). Anyone else having this problem?
Edit: Nevermind, got it working.

krubby 02-26-2013 01:12 PM

I know this thread is about the amazon game, but since the board game has been mentioned as well..

I echo one of the comments above about getting the 1910 expansion. it adds to the cost, BUT if youa re going to actually get the board game, I would say you really should bite the bullet and get the expansion as well.

first off, cards are larger. very very nice feature. plus adds more routes and to some degree takes away the easy of winning (if you get the right tickets) in the non expansion pack game

I have tons of board games. this one is good. not my favorite, but not a bad one. BUT i would say if you are trying to find one you can play with older kids (7 - 11) that you would still like, this is one of them. not too hard for them, not too easy for you. good family game

Maddy 02-26-2013 01:28 PM

The game maker actually has the game you can try as well, if you are unsure if you would like the game. It has been awhile since I used up my free games, but I think you get like 10 games on a couple of the maps free to start.

I own the steam game, but I started playing it online here quite awhile ago. Days of Wonders' interface is slightly different than what you experience on steam but not by much, and the gameplay is the same. If you don't like the game here, it won't be different enough on steam for you to like it imo.

better direct link to the web version http://www.daysofwonder.com/online/en/play/

johnny5yu 02-26-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nico07 (Post 57843098)
Excellent board game. Though with real people playing the board game it becomes very crowded and stressful with four or five players.

Absolutely, this is a flash style game that isn't demanding on your computers graphic processor.:nod:

Thanks!

anewdayrising79 02-26-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolzkillaz (Post 57834890)
I'm most surprised that Ticket is played competitively, being such a casual game.

There are layers to a lot of games that aren't initially seen. I played at a con on a whim and saw the game in a whole new light after seeing how the pros play.

Most of the higher profile niche games are played competitively, actually; Settlers of Catan, for example, is a pretty big deal, and that game is more mainstream than TTR, I would say.

eartha 02-26-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

I am a TTR fan. We have the board game, iPad version, and iPhone version. [BTW, the iPad version is $7. You must be referring to the iPhone or "Pocket" version, which is $2. The iPhone version can be played on the iPad, but the full app has more features.] Of those, the iPad version gets played the most, definitely. Not only is it fun on its own, but it's useful for car trips with the pass-and-play feature. It's much faster and easier to play the game digitally because you don't have to handle all the little game pieces, though nothing replaces the enjoyment of using a real board game with a group of friends.

I've purchased many of the additional maps, and the 1910 expansion is a great one -- both for the digital and the physical versions. For the physical version, it is necessary because the cards are bigger. The cards that come with the board game are too small to comfortably shuffle. For the digital version, the expansion adds a bunch of routes that change up the strategy. I've gotten over 200 points before in a single game using the Mega approach, and most of those were small routes. Once you get comfortable with the US version, try some of the other maps. They add different options, like tunnels and transfer stations and ferries and such, and require you to change your strategy a bit.

adas 02-26-2013 03:38 PM

Waiting for this to be in an indie bundle with all DLCs.... PERFECT candidate, imho.

LVSaint 02-26-2013 03:56 PM

I concur, the iPad version is much nicer, but more expensive.

Wouldn't worry about AI gameplay unless you were looking to get the 'trophies', wifi play is easy and readily available with people online at most times during the day.

dfkjhasdlkjfhloiu 02-26-2013 04:51 PM

very fun game, bought it last night and stayed up way too late. Some graphical glitches, but it might have been my old laptop...

greenheck1 02-26-2013 05:15 PM

for some reason, when i go to play then select online (instead of solo) and number of players I cannot click the GO button ... its grayed out ... whats up with that?
if i go to more then online games, i can play just fine

dngrcnnn 02-26-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenheck1 (Post 57849298)
for some reason, when i go to play then select online (instead of solo) and number of players I cannot click the GO button ... its grayed out ... whats up with that?
if i go to more then online games, i can play just fine

You have to wait until the game is full to hit Go. Once it fills up it will beep at you incessantly to hit Go. At least mine does.

LNCarrillo 02-26-2013 08:33 PM

Thanks. I just bought the game. I'll rep too.

chikkubhai 02-26-2013 09:28 PM

Is this multi player - not online players - on PC? if so, how easy is playing taking turns?

jayeye 02-26-2013 09:47 PM

How wants to play with me?!? :D

Putts 02-27-2013 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chikkubhai (Post 57853772)
Is this multi player - not online players - on PC? if so, how easy is playing taking turns?

I think you're asking about "hotseat" multiplayer, where multiple players take turns on the same computer. That's not supported here. Single player (vs AI) and online multiplayer are supported.