Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Deal Talk (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   32GB Asus VivoTab 10.1" Wi-Fi Windows 8 RT Tablet with VivoTab Keyboard Docking Station $350 + Free Shipping (http://slickdeals.net/f/5876654-32gb-asus-vivotab-10-1-wi-fi-windows-8-rt-tablet-with-vivotab-keyboard-docking-station-350-free-shipping)

DJ3xclusive 02-26-2013 08:47 AM

32GB Asus VivoTab 10.1" Wi-Fi Windows 8 RT Tablet with VivoTab Keyboard Docking Station $350 + Free Shipping

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390528788138

brisar 02-26-2013 08:47 AM

32GB Asus VivoTab 10.1" Wi-Fi Windows 8 RT Tablet with VivoTab Keyboard Docking Station $350 + Free Shipping

1 Attachment(s)
Adorama via eBay has 32GB Asus VivoTab 10.1" Wi-Fi Windows 8 RT Tablet with Keyboard w/ VivoTab Keyboard Docking Station (TF600T-B1-GR) for $349.99 with free shipping. Thanks DJ3xclusive

Price Research: Our research indicates that this 32GB Asus VivoTab 10.1" Wi-Fi Windows 8 RT Tablet with Keyboard (TF600T-B1-GR) is $49 lower (12.5% savings) than the next best available price from a reputable merchant with prices starting from $399. - brisar

Specs:
  • NVIDIA Tegra 3.0 1.3GHz Processor
  • 32 GB Flash Memory, 2 GB RAM Memory
  • 1366x768 Display
  • Wireless N
  • Windows 8 RT
Review courtesy of Engadget

wikipost 02-26-2013 08:47 AM

This post can and should be edited by users like you :)

Deal has ended

cyborg95 02-26-2013 08:51 AM

It's back. Good deal.

Steaktaco 02-26-2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyborg95 (Post 57835894)
It's back. Good deal.

Can this thing play facebook games?

deal_or_no_deal 02-26-2013 09:01 AM

Asus 10.1" HD Super IPS 32GB Tablet, Bundle w/VivoTab Keyboard Docking Station $349.99 @ ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-10-1...0528788138

cyborg95 02-26-2013 09:01 AM

I am not sure, as I don't use facebook. But, I am using these are flash games.
There is a way to whitelist a website to enable flash on that site. Might work.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steaktaco (Post 57836010)
Can this thing play facebook games?

Corrosive 02-26-2013 09:02 AM

Was able to sell this for a slight profit last time on craigslist... much less than I expected. The last deal offered free next day shipping though.

cyborg95 02-26-2013 09:03 AM

Repost. http://slickdeals.net/f/5876654-32GB-Asus-VivoTab-10-1-Wi-Fi-Windows-8-RT-Tablet-w-VivoTab-Keyboard-Docking-Station-350-Free-Shipping-Ebay-Daily-Deal?p=57836144#post57836144

zen313 02-26-2013 09:04 AM

Dammit... I was hoping the previous deal wouldn't return... but it has. The main boon to this is that the built-in IE can browse ANY WEBSITE. Flash, no flash, I couldn't find any website it couldn't load or use well. This is in contrast to surfing on Android/iOS tablets, which definitely do not have 100% compatibility with all websites.

Fun toy. :)

caveman017 02-26-2013 09:04 AM

I still can't bite on one of these RT tabs, even with this great deal. Lack of apps kills it. Now if I could dual boot with Andorid....

Jakeafella 02-26-2013 09:07 AM

Does anybody know how this compares to the Asus Infinity? Seems to be a cheaper price than Infinity but wasn't it released after?

Corrosive 02-26-2013 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakeafella (Post 57836260)
Does anybody know how this compares to the Asus Infinity? Seems to be a cheaper price than Infinity but wasn't it released after?

This runs windows rt infinity is android
This has 2gb ram infinity has 1
This has 768 resolution, infinity has 1200

sonofabit 02-26-2013 09:36 AM

the description says it includes "USB Dongle", does this mean the device that lets you connect a usb device like a flash drive or mouse without needing the full dock?

AaronDotNET 02-26-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonofabit (Post 57836926)
the description says it includes "USB Dongle", does this mean the device that lets you connect a usb device like a flash drive or mouse without needing the full dock?

Yeah, while the dock has a full sized USB port, the actual tablet has a proprietary port. The dongle will let you connect a USB device to that port.

dbay.com 02-26-2013 09:41 AM

Can this be flashed and put Jellybean on it?

sonofabit 02-26-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronDotNET (Post 57837002)
Yeah, while the dock has a full sized USB port, the actual tablet has a proprietary port. The dongle will let you connect a USB device to that port.

thanks but what I meant was if anyone can confirm that this bundle INCLUDES that dongle...

I messaged the seller but I don't know if they'll get back to me.

MAN I'm on the fence! on one hand, I would prefer an Atom based tablet that runs full windows 8, but on the other hand this thing is only $350!

AaronDotNET 02-26-2013 09:43 AM

This is an amazing deal. The last time it ran, I made sure to snap one up for my father in law. He loves the thing. The tablet itself is amazingly light, 1.2 pounds. When connected to the dock, its basically a light weight laptop with 16 hours of battery life. I tried to explain to him the limitations with WinRT not running desktop programs that weren't already installed, but I think that all went over his head. He just asked me if it had Office and could watch Youtube videos and go on Facebook. He liked when I showed him how to dock the metro messaging app to the side while he browsed the interwebs. When you think about it, there is a large section of the population for which WinRT is perfectly fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonofabit (Post 57837098)
thanks but what I meant was if anyone can confirm that this bundle INCLUDES that dongle...

MAN I'm on the fence! on one hand, I would prefer an Atom based tablet that runs full windows 8, but on the other hand this thing is only $350!

Yes I can confirm that. I bought the deal the last time it was available and it came with everything.

doksarmy 02-26-2013 09:45 AM

I am selling mine that I bought last time. It is awesome for somethings such as typing in excel, word and powerpoint but its annoying because you cant install chrome. Otherwise this is a great tablet. I am buying a surface pro so If anyone in NYC wants to buy mines, its in like new condition and with no tax. Make your best offer but dont lowball me in a private message.

jsherm101 02-26-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbay.com (Post 57837058)
Can this be flashed and put Jellybean on it?

Jellybean cannot be put on it

This is a great deal. I ended up caving for $440 on Amazon Friday (lucky me :( ) and I'm happy with what it can do. If you're looking for a $350 laptop look elsewhere. if you want a decent netbook with great battery life this is the thing.

XDA is doing some great development with it too

http://forum.xda-developers.com/f...php?f=2130

Manlet 02-26-2013 09:48 AM

Is it worth it to wait for the new Nexus 10?

sonofabit 02-26-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronDotNET (Post 57837102)
This is an amazing deal. The last time it ran, I made sure to snap one up for my father in law. He loves the thing. The tablet itself is amazingly light, 1.2 pounds. When connected to the dock, its basically a light weight laptop with 16 hours of battery life. I tried to explain to him the limitations with WinRT not running desktop programs that weren't already installed, but I think that all went over his head. He just asked me if it had Office and could watch Youtube videos and go on Facebook. He liked when I showed him how to dock the metro messaging app to the side while he browsed the interwebs. When you think about it, there is a large section of the population for which WinRT is perfectly fine.

Yes I can confirm that. I bought the deal the last time it was available and it came with everything.

thank you for confirming, I think I'm gonna bite! I wanted to wait for an atom tablet to hit around $400 because I really want to be able to install some things like FeedDemon, trillian, etc which I use every day

but honestly what I really want this for is a bedtime reader/browser, I could probably even sell the dock for a few bucks since I doubt I would ever even use it...

argh I think I'm gonna bite!

AaronDotNET 02-26-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonofabit (Post 57837098)

Sorry for responding again, but I wanted to offer my personal experiences in case they help. Thus far, I haven't been recommending WinRT tablets to people since the Atom tablets are just as cheap and have about as good battery life. Also, putting aside that Atom can run full Windows, its also better performance than ARM from what I read. I myself have a Surface RT and I'm not happy with the performance, especially the load times for apps. Maybe this will all change with Tegra 4, but that is the current situation. However, for $350, I think this RT tablet is certainly worth it. If anything, maybe it can hold you over until lighter weight Haswell tablets come.

jsherm101 02-26-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonofabit (Post 57837280)
thank you for confirming, I think I'm gonna bite! I wanted to wait for an atom tablet to hit around $400 because I really want to be able to install some things like FeedDemon, trillian, etc which I use every day

but honestly what I really want this for is a bedtime reader/browser, I could probably even sell the dock for a few bucks since I doubt I would ever even use it...

argh I think I'm gonna bite!

Atom tablets will not hit $400 for a while. The prices are so low because nobody is buying Windows RT, so it's a sort of firesale.

Quote:

Originally Posted by disoneviet (Post 57837246)
Is it worth it to wait for the new Nexus 10?

depends on what you want to use it for. Not many apps for this tablet yet, but its pretty snappy and its very versatile thanks to Windows RT

DJ3xclusive 02-26-2013 09:58 AM

My cousin just grabbed one but just wanted to confirm this tablet does come with the wacom pen?

Manlet 02-26-2013 09:58 AM

So it's pretty responsive? I read some posts on the old thread and some complained about it opening the Office programs slow and whatnot.

AaronDotNET 02-26-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ3xclusive (Post 57837502)
My cousin just grabbed one but just wanted to confirm this tablet does come with the wacom pen?

No it does not. I'm not sure of any RT tablet with pen support. You may be confused with the Surface Pro which comes with a pen.

sonofabit 02-26-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronDotNET (Post 57837362)
Sorry for responding again, but I wanted to offer my personal experiences in case they help. Thus far, I haven't been recommending WinRT tablets to people since the Atom tablets are just as cheap and have about as good battery life. Also, putting aside that Atom can run full Windows, its also better performance than ARM from what I read. I myself have a Surface RT and I'm not happy with the performance, especially the load times for apps. Maybe this will all change with Tegra 4, but that is the current situation. However, for $350, I think this RT tablet is certainly worth it. If anything, maybe it can hold you over until lighter weight Haswell tablets come.

i think you're right. I would absolutely buy this for my wife or parents, but I just KNOW it won't be enough for me. gonna hold out a little for an atom. If I buy this now and an atom later, I'll have spent what an atom costs now anyway may as well spring

still, this is absolutely a great deal and people should definitely take advantage!

saldog78 02-26-2013 10:04 AM

I need to be able to grade papers digitally in the form of PDFs. I want to be able to write on a PDF, draw arrows, circle things, etc. Would this work well for this? I was planning on getting a Galaxy Note 10.1, but i'd consider a Windows RT tablet/netbook.

Thanks.

DJ3xclusive 02-26-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronDotNET (Post 57837612)
No it does not. I'm not sure of any RT tablet with pen support. You may be confused with the Surface Pro which comes with a pen.

Hmm.. thank you. He brought an XPS 10 Tablet w/ Dock for $600 but I told him o grab this one instead since it's $250+ cheaper and return the dell tablet. Based on overall reviews, the Asus VivoTab got rated higher across the boards

AaronDotNET 02-26-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disoneviet (Post 57837506)
So it's pretty responsive? I read some posts on the old thread and some complained about it opening the Office programs slow and whatnot.

It is responsive with some caveats. Maybe its because I'm used to my 256GB desktop solid state drive now, but I find that apps load a bit slow on the RT tablets. I don't know what kind of solid state drive comes with the Atom tablets, but I did compare my Surface RT to my friends Surface Pro (which runs Core i5). The Surface Pro did load apps significantly faster than the RT. In the end though, its all perspective. We are only talking about an extra half a second or so. For $350 I think this is an amazing deal for a great companion device. It might not load Word as quickly as your Ultrabook or Desktop, but it loads it, and when your on the road that is whats important.

kevin2926 02-26-2013 10:11 AM

Atom tablets will always be more expesive. Microsoft practically give RT away while charging license fee for full windows. Microsoft earns money when you buy software from windows store. Like iOS and most andriod software, you can only install software on RT from windows store.

Manlet 02-26-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronDotNET (Post 57837740)
It is responsive with some caveats. Maybe its because I'm used to my 256GB desktop solid state drive now, but I find that apps load a bit slow on the RT tablets. I don't know what kind of solid state drive comes with the Atom tablets, but I did compare my Surface RT to my friends Surface Pro (which runs Core i5). The Surface Pro did load apps significantly faster than the RT. In the end though, its all perspective. We are only talking about an extra half a second or so. For $350 I think this is an amazing deal for a great companion device. It might not load Word as quickly as your Ultrabook or Desktop, but it loads it, and when your on the road that is whats important.

Thanks! I currently have a Chromebook just to bring to class to take notes and it's been working fine. Just wanted a tablet just for fun, but I also look for one that'll last me awhile in terms of performance when technology advances.

AaronDotNET 02-26-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saldog78 (Post 57837702)
I need to be able to grade papers digitally in the form of PDFs. I want to be able to write on a PDF, draw arrows, circle things, etc. Would this work well for this? I was planning on getting a Galaxy Note 10.1, but i'd consider a Windows RT tablet/netbook.

Thanks.

There is a default PDF application for RT, but I'm not sure what its editing capabilities are. However, it sounds like you may need pen input capability. I'm not sure if any of the RT tablets support pen, I know this one doesn't and neither does the Surface RT. The Surface Pro and some other W8 tablets certainly do however. But those may be out of the price range you are looking for.

wksk 02-26-2013 10:15 AM

In for 1. Thanks OP. Now my girlfriend can look at recipes while shes cooking instead of using that bulky laptop.

HamZer11 02-26-2013 10:20 AM

Was really excited but tax in NY pushes it closer to the $400 mark. Will have to wait

AaronDotNET 02-26-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wksk (Post 57837988)
In for 1. Thanks OP. Now my girlfriend can look at recipes while shes cooking instead of using that bulky laptop.

That's exactly what my wife uses my Surface RT for. Aside from the excellent IE10 browser, there are some great recipe apps for RT.

ioric18 02-26-2013 10:22 AM

It's been a while since I'm following up with the tablet trends, so sorry for the dumb question.
Can I root a RT tablet and put in Android?

psplax17 02-26-2013 10:22 AM

In for one.

sixers_610 02-26-2013 10:25 AM

I thought this was the smart.. I almost freaked! this is a great deal though.

Ualdayan 02-26-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doksarmy (Post 57837162)
I am selling mine that I bought last time. It is awesome for somethings such as typing in excel, word and powerpoint but its annoying because you cant install chrome. Otherwise this is a great tablet. I am buying a surface pro so If anyone in NYC wants to buy mines, its in like new condition and with no tax. Make your best offer but dont lowball me in a private message.

I have a Surface Pro and to be honest you're probably going to end up using IE anyway. Chrome is way less polished for a device with a touchscreen than IE is. Things like zooming in for example - under IE you pinch to zoom. On Chrome you have to click the three lines in the corner, then click a little + next to Zoom. If you double tap text in IE it zooms to fit the text to the screen. If you double tap in Chrome it just highlights the text for copy/paste. I've gone back to using IE which I haven't done in years on any other machine of mine.

tehxeno 02-26-2013 10:29 AM

So, if I'm looking to get a tablet for Splashtop Remote + eReader + Web Browser + Media viewing + Emulating games.... this is not for me, right?

kennyminot 02-26-2013 10:29 AM

Great deal. But - mark my words - this will drop more in the summer months! :)

NeverSummer07 02-26-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ3xclusive (Post 57837724)
Hmm.. thank you. He brought an XPS 10 Tablet w/ Dock for $600 but I told him o grab this one instead since it's $250+ cheaper and return the dell tablet. Based on overall reviews, the Asus VivoTab got rated higher across the boards

Dell Latitude 10 tablet (Atom) is $499 now, better than XPS 10. 64GB storage and support Wacom digitizer pen. I have the Samsung 500T and my sister has Latitude 10. Both are amazing tablets. The digitizer pen is where Win8 tablet shine, OneNote and SketchBook Pro:)

dpham00 02-26-2013 10:35 AM

I want something that can play movies from a USB stick. Does this work for that? Any movie format restrictions? Would it play 108p video smoothly from a USB stick?

nocalsf 02-26-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tehxeno (Post 57838346)
So, if I'm looking to get a tablet for Splashtop Remote + eReader + Web Browser + Media viewing + Emulating games.... this is not for me, right?

No...it does ALL of that...so yes...jump on it.

DJ3xclusive 02-26-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeverSummer07 (Post 57838406)
Dell Latitude 10 tablet (Atom) is $499 now, better than XPS 10. 64GB storage and support Wacom digitizer pen. I have the Samsung 500T and my sister has Latitude 10. Both are amazing tablets. The digitizer pen is where Win8 tablet shine, OneNote and SketchBook Pro:)

Would you say the VivoTab is better than the XPS 10 w/ Dock he brought (purchase price $600)?

grnday_fn 02-26-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saldog78 (Post 57837702)

Thanks.

I don't have this tablet but i have the transformer prime and i bought the app qPDF Notes and i'm able to write and draw arrows and circles on pdfs.

NeverSummer07 02-26-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ3xclusive (Post 57837502)

From Microsoft, Windows RT tablets don't support digitizer pen. Only some Atom and i3/i5 tablets support this. Read the spec and description for digitizer/wacom pen support, most likely if they don't mention it that means pens don't work on the tablet. Example Acer Win8 tablets don't support it.

supradealz 02-26-2013 10:39 AM

windows fail... typical MS tactic, late to the game trying to bully everyone else out.

and whats up with the flood of apple-clone devices.... samsung chromebook, this, look like a spitting image of my macbook pro keyboard/mouse

gibsonbass 02-26-2013 10:39 AM

Can I install any printer on window RT?

beggerking 02-26-2013 10:43 AM

sorry but Windows RT is not gonna make it :(

it makes much more sense to buy a tablet with full windows 8 installed, Atom or i3/i5.

Best, get a surface pro with real window on it, much more useful and world of difference.

NeverSummer07 02-26-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ3xclusive (Post 57838528)
Would you say the VivoTab is better than the XPS 10 w/ Dock he brought (purchase price $600)?

I've never used XPS. If he can return it, he should get the Latitude 10. It has an Atom chip, which means any x86 software can be installed. Note power programs may not run smoothly. Also, Atom chip is faster than RT/ARM chip.

playsccr 02-26-2013 10:44 AM

will this work with MS office: Outlook, Word, Excel. Thats all i need. thank you.

TheJagMan 02-26-2013 10:46 AM

Well I am in for one. I missed out on the last deal. Was undecided but did not want to miss out on the deal this time. Looks like they are going fast so I do not know how much longer they will last. Looks like re-sellers are buying 5 at a time.

AaronDotNET 02-26-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpham00 (Post 57838498)
I want something that can play movies from a USB stick. Does this work for that? Any movie format restrictions? Would it play 108p video smoothly from a USB stick?

Yes this can play movies from a USB stick. Im pretty sure it can play 1080p smoothly but the screen is only 1366/768

IamJack 02-26-2013 10:47 AM

I have the Vivobook and must say Windows 8 apps are severely lacking compared to iOS and Android..

Something to keep in mind.

AaronDotNET 02-26-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by playsccr (Post 57838770)
will this work with MS office: Outlook, Word, Excel. Thats all i need. thank you.

Yes except for Outlook. Office on RT does not include Outlook. There are rumors they are porting Outlook to RT but there is no official word yet.

deymayor 02-26-2013 10:49 AM

This is a very limited Windows device but the price is great. Too bad they charge tax in NJ and NY.

AaronDotNET 02-26-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beggerking (Post 57838716)
sorry but Windows RT is not gonna make it :(

it makes much more sense to buy a tablet with full windows 8 installed, Atom or i3/i5.

Best, get a surface pro with real window on it, much more useful and world of difference.

I mostly agree for that except when you have a sale like this. For $350 you really are getting a good bargain on a great companion device.

ViRaL 02-26-2013 10:51 AM

I have this and I like it. No it doesn't do everything full Windows 8 Pro tablet does, but we're also talking about $350. Even with the Latitude 10 at@499, you're still adding $119 for a dock (which doesn't include a keyboard or pointing device) and NO OFFICE APPS included.

I've set mine up to print to my Brother HL-2270DW with the generic Brother PCL6 driver. I can connect to any wi-fi, it has front and rear facing cameras, bluetooth, NFC, HDMI out and a MicroSD slot. In the end, think of it as a great tablet that runs WindowsRT. There are a fair number of apps in the app store for it and they're adding more. Will it do everything Windows 8 Pro will do? No, absolutely not. Will it do more than enough to make it a great tablet and a great deal at $350? Yes, it will.

playsccr 02-26-2013 10:51 AM

is there outlook on the pro?

gibsonbass 02-26-2013 10:54 AM

Can I print from Window RT?

dpham00 02-26-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronDotNET (Post 57838840)
Yes this can play movies from a USB stick. Im pretty sure it can play 1080p smoothly but the screen is only 1366/768

Thanks, yes, I know the resolution limitation. I just don't want to have to re encode video just for one device.

sleepybubba 02-26-2013 10:55 AM

No HDMI - no deal

aedgington 02-26-2013 10:55 AM

So WinRT can handle MKVs ?

Zephon13 02-26-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ualdayan (Post 57838284)
I have a Surface Pro and to be honest you're probably going to end up using IE anyway. Chrome is way less polished for a device with a touchscreen than IE is. Things like zooming in for example - under IE you pinch to zoom. On Chrome you have to click the three lines in the corner, then click a little + next to Zoom. If you double tap text in IE it zooms to fit the text to the screen. If you double tap in Chrome it just highlights the text for copy/paste. I've gone back to using IE which I haven't done in years on any other machine of mine.

I never thought I'd do it either, but I find myself using IE10 on the Surface Pro and it's really not bad at all. Chrome was a pain in the ass to use on here. MS did a pretty good job building the touchscreen interface. So far I've liked my experience with it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by playsccr (Post 57838996)
is there outlook on the pro?

I'm guessing you mean the Surface Pro? There's any Windows application you want. It's a full featured OS. I have League of Legends and Project64 installed on it. I play N64 games using a USB N64 controller when I'm on the go LOL. As well as remote support for clients, IT management at sites, etc. It's an amazing little device. Powerful too.

AaronDotNET 02-26-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IamJack (Post 57838864)
I have the Vivobook and must say Windows 8 apps are severely lacking compared to iOS and Android..

Something to keep in mind.

WinRT may not have the app count of iOS and Android, but don't overlook some of its benefits. USB ports, memory card reader, compatibility with Windows Home Group (for printing and sharing files). Also I think the interface is the best for tablets with the contextual charms bar and the ability to snap apps side by side for real multitasking. Besides, the app store is growing pretty rapidly and due to its inclusion in general Windows 8 there is no way developers will ignore the platform given its inevitable market share of hundreds of millions of devices.

playsccr 02-26-2013 11:00 AM

so i use ms exchange at work,,,will this RT play nice with it and it what way? is there an application or am i screwed?

tehxeno 02-26-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nocalsf (Post 57838502)

I thought that you can't install anything on the tablet other than the pre-installed things from Windows 8 RT?

How would I get emulators on it and whatnot?

I can understand e-reader being pre-supported... and web browsing through explorer... but not really the games or splashtop.

AaronDotNET 02-26-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aedgington (Post 57839158)

Off the top of my head, I'm not sure what codecs RT supports by default. However I know the VLC team is working on an app for RT which I'm sure would handle MKV's.

Stryder5 02-26-2013 11:02 AM

Wow, this deal is back again. Hot!

AaronDotNET 02-26-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tehxeno (Post 57839288)
I thought that you can't install anything on the tablet other than the pre-installed things from Windows 8 RT?

How would I get emulators on it and whatnot?

I can understand e-reader being pre-supported... and web browsing through explorer... but not really the games or splashtop.

You are correct that you can only install apps from the store, unless you unlock your device from the tools by the XDA folks, but thats another topic.

WP7/8 have emulators in the WP store. If the W8 store doesn't already have emulators, I'm sure there will be some soon.

tehxeno 02-26-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nocalsf (Post 57838502)

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronDotNET (Post 57839360)
You are correct that you can only install apps from the store, unless you unlock your device from the tools by the XDA folks, but thats another topic.

WP7/8 have emulators in the WP store. If the W8 store doesn't already have emulators, I'm sure there will be some soon.

Is there anywhere I can browse the current apps in the store?
I tried a brief google search and found a link to the Snes8x emulator, but I can't find anywhere to browse other apps.

sd40 02-26-2013 11:08 AM

I bought this last time it was on front page. What a slick deal, possibly the best deal I've gotten here. My wife loves this. Bundled Office suite is nice. Fantastic display. I am tempted to buy another one for myself now.

Zephon13 02-26-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supradealz (Post 57838600)
windows fail... typical MS tactic, late to the game trying to bully everyone else out.

and whats up with the flood of apple-clone devices.... samsung chromebook, this, look like a spitting image of my macbook pro keyboard/mouse

I love how everyone tries to say Apple-clones when Crapple is the one that stole the technology from Microsoft. LOL gtfo bro. You don't even know enough about this industry to make a statement like that.

Microsoft had the first tablet PC.

Processing... 02-26-2013 11:10 AM

so this comes with office pre installed, right?

also, can you easily access your existing word and excel files on this tablet?

thanks in advance (reps to anyone who answers)

jjct1 02-26-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gibsonbass (Post 57839082)
Can I print from Window RT?

Yes, you can find the device compatibility list here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...enter/Home

Also, it seems that if your printer is close to a compatible device it might work. For instance if you have a Canon MP40 but only Canon MP50 is listed as supported, if you install the MP50 driver it might work for the MP40. My printer was listed as compatible but I used a driver that was close and it worked.

Another cool thing is that it supports Xbox controllers for gaming if you get the USB connector they make for Windows. There are emulators and Xbox Live games that support the Xbox controller.

http://mcakins.wordpress.com/2013...nostalgia/

AaronDotNET 02-26-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tehxeno (Post 57839468)
Is there anywhere I can browse the current apps in the store?
I tried a brief google search and found a link to the Snes8x emulator, but I can't find anywhere to browse other apps.

Believe it or not, there is no way to browse the W8 app store without a W8 device. That is doubly perplexing given that you can browse the Windows Phone app store. I can tell you that Snes8x is an emulator available on WP. Not sure if they ported the app to W8 or not, but I wouldn't be surprised since it should be easy given the similar API's.

gibsonbass 02-26-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjct1 (Post 57839562)
Yes, you can find the device compatibility list here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...enter/Home

Also, it seems that if your printer is close to a compatible device it might work. For instance if you have a Canon MP40 but only Canon MP50 is listed as supported, if you install the MP50 driver it might work for the MP40. My printer was listed as compatible but I used a driver that was close and it worked.

Another cool thing is that it supports Xbox controllers for gaming if you get the USB connector they make for Windows. There are emulators and Xbox Live games that support the Xbox controller.

http://mcakins.wordpress.com/2013...nostalgia/

Thanx for the info...both of my printers are compatible,,,its tempting

agentkhiem 02-26-2013 11:13 AM

Thank you for sharing this deal, I think the 10 hour battery life will help out a lot in college.

AaronDotNET 02-26-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Processing... (Post 57839520)
so this comes with office pre installed, right?

also, can you easily access your existing word and excel files on this tablet?

thanks in advance (reps to anyone who answers)

Yes, it comes with Word, Excel, and Powerpoint for free. It does not have Outlook. You can easily access your files on this tablet through its USB port, through Windows Home Group file sharing, through Skydrive, basically through any method you could on a regular windows machine.

Dozens 02-26-2013 11:17 AM

Less than a hundred left now.

Processing... 02-26-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronDotNET (Post 57839626)
Yes, it comes with Word, Excel, and Powerpoint for free. It does not have Outlook. You can easily access your files on this tablet through its USB port, through Windows Home Group file sharing, through Skydrive, basically through any method you could on a regular windows machine.

thanks for the info!

playsccr 02-26-2013 11:20 AM

is there any application that will play nice with my work's exchange server?

also does the surface pro come with Outlook?

AaronDotNET 02-26-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by playsccr (Post 57839784)
is there any application that will play nice with my work's exchange server?

also does the surface pro come with Outlook?

The People/Mail/Calendar apps are all tied together. Yes you can add an Exchange account to your list of synced accounts, in addition to Microsoft, Google, Yahoo, etc... I should tell you I tried this last night with my Surface RT for my works Exchange account. For some reason it failed to work, but I think I might have been putting in a wrong value for domain or site URL or something. One of my other coworkers says he synced his work account successfully.

I believe you have to provide your own copy of Office for Surface Pro as you would for any other Windows machine.

flyingroach 02-26-2013 11:25 AM

This price makes it worth a try for many geeks. NOTE this is first gen RT AND early builds os this tab had issues. BUT again this price has to be below cost. I assume the returned models with wacky touchscreen issues after update are these refurbs?

Warning this 32 g version has only about 15g available for apps, no big deal, just store on micro sd, cloud and move recovery partition to usb drive.

sd40 02-26-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sd40 (Post 57839474)
I bought this last time it was on front page. What a slick deal, possibly the best deal I've gotten here. My wife loves this. Bundled Office suite is nice. Fantastic display. I am tempted to buy another one for myself now.

LOL I just bought another one. It's too good to pass up.

There is a lot of misinformation going on about Windows RT. IMO Windows RT is better than ipad and Android tablets.

Also note that majority of bad Amazon reviews on this were from buyers who didn't get the free keyboard. And a few earlier buyers who ran into initial SW bugs that have been fixed since then. This tablet rocks at $400 without the keyboard. $350 WITH keyboard is a steal IMO. Office alone is worth $130.

shootermcgav1n 02-26-2013 11:27 AM

not a bad price, i too was looking at this but based on the negative reviews of RT i opted for the vivoBOOK instead.

simba39 02-26-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepybubba (Post 57839136)
No HDMI - no deal

According to the specs, it does have a Micro HDMI port, so I guess you have to come up with another reason, or get your wallet out.:D

tommitls 02-26-2013 11:30 AM

i snagged two! one for me and one for my father in law! brownie points HA

tehxeno 02-26-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronDotNET (Post 57839572)
Believe it or not, there is no way to browse the W8 app store without a W8 device. That is doubly perplexing given that you can browse the Windows Phone app store. I can tell you that Snes8x is an emulator available on WP. Not sure if they ported the app to W8 or not, but I wouldn't be surprised since it should be easy given the similar API's.

That's just... Well, poor marketing.

In that case... can anyone tell me if Windows 8 RT supports Splashtop Remote HD?

Also, if someone could list available emulators that'd be awesome.

If there is splashtop support I would probably jump.

Edit: I found a workaround to search through the store...
Use google with I did not find any splashtop support, but there is support for VNC.

There is also a lack of emulators, it seems SNES only one currently.

I will opt out of this deal. Thanks for the post though!

AaronDotNET 02-26-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sd40 (Post 57839926)
LOL I just bought another one. It's too good to pass up.

There is a lot of misinformation going on about Windows RT. IMO Windows RT is better than ipad and Android tablets.

Also note that majority of bad Amazon reviews on this were from buyers who didn't get the free keyboard. And a few earlier buyers who ran into initial SW bugs that have been fixed since then. This tablet rocks at $400 without the keyboard. $350 WITH keyboard is a steal IMO. Office alone is worth $130.

i agree. There is a ton of miss-information going on. What amazes me is that when these are compared to iPads there is never any mention of the USB ports, memory card readers, and side by side app multitasking. These are huge points that need to be advertised more. USB makes them compatible with flash drives, printers, cameras, basically everything. Memory card reader lets you double or triple storage very cheaply.

NeverSummer07 02-26-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agentkhiem (Post 57839614)
Thank you for sharing this deal, I think the 10 hour battery life will help out a lot in college.

I read about 15-18 hrs when dock with the keyboard (it has a built-in battery).

Thanks OP. Just ordered one. But stupid PayPal won't let me checkout because of send money limitation.

jaytalent 02-26-2013 11:35 AM

I know a few people with this tablet and they love it. Great deal too. I was looking at this a few months ago and might jump on it now for the price.

viperdk 02-26-2013 11:36 AM

I bought this with the same deal last time around and let me tell you, this is an amazing device. I had the Surface RT at launch and this unit seems to perfect all of my gripes with the Microsoft branded tablet. The Surface was heavy and awkward, this is very light and comfortable to hold. The Surface had poor screen resolution for my tastes. The Asus screen is so bright and vibrant it almost rivals my iPad 4. The Surface kickstand/keyboard combo was not usable on my lap. The dock hinge on the Asus makes it like a netbook/laptop so no problems there. The Surface also was very slow and buggy to me whereas the Asus is fast and smooth. However, I only had the Surface at launch and returned it a month later, so it's possible many of the issues I encountered were bugs with the Windows 8 launch which have been resolved.

I only have 1 gripe with the unit itself: The tablet is supposed to lock into place to the dock hinge. However, while it seems to be sturdy when docked, I can easily pull the tablet off of the dock without using the latch. This sometimes occurs unintentionally when I am opening it from a closed/docked state.

My other issues are with Windows RT itself, whereas it only supports flash for websites it calls out in the Registry. This encompasses most heavily used websites but some smaller sites need to be added manually to the registry in order to "unlock" flash (the universal unsanctioned work around at the moment). The other RT complaint I have is the mail app, which is slow and fails to connect to the mail servers to update more often than I would like.

Don't listen to the complaints that the app store is small. It's rapidly growing and all of your essentials are there or on the way. I have owned several Apple and Android tablets over the years and this is my second Windows tablet, In my own personal opinion (and I don't mean to offend anyone), Apple tablets are restrictive in what they let you do, but are the most reliable. Android tablets are more functional and customizable, but are not as reliable or polished as Apple. Windows RT seems to take the middle ground and fills a hole in the market between these two interfaces. If you are contemplating this tablet, buy it!

agentkhiem 02-26-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeverSummer07 (Post 57840204)
I read about 15-18 hrs when dock with the keyboard (it has a built-in battery).

Thanks OP. Just ordered one. But stupid PayPal won't let me checkout because of send money limitation.

Wow, you're right.

Quote:

Battery Life
A 25 Wh, non-removable lithium polymer battery is installed in the tablet. In the realistic "surfing via Wi-Fi" test, the VivoTab RT convinced with a runtime of 10 hours and 18 minutes which is an excellent figure. The tablet from Redmond [notebookcheck.net] already exhibited a remarkable time, but could not achieve this excellent result (difference: 102 minutes). The lithium polymer battery lasted for 16 hours and 10 minutes when the screen's brightness was set to minimum and we disabled the wireless modules. This should be enough to easily survive for a whole work day without an external power source.
Should this outstanding battery runtime not be enough, you could think about buying thekeyboard dock. The keyboard's built-in lithium polymer battery would add acapacity of 22 Whto the 25 Wh of the tablet's battery and would almost double the runtime. The charger needs 2 hours and 58 minutes to completely recharge the tablet's battery.

sd40 02-26-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tehxeno (Post 57840060)

In that case... can anyone tell me if Windows 8 RT supports Splashtop Remote HD?

Windows RT version is coming according to Splashtop:

http://support-remote.splashtop.c...op-client-

AaronDotNET 02-26-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viperdk (Post 57840292)
I bought this with the same deal last time around and let me tell you, this is an amazing device. I had the Surface RT at launch and this unit seems to perfect all of my gripes with the Microsoft branded tablet. The Surface was heavy and awkward, this is very light and comfortable to hold. The Surface had poor screen resolution for my tastes. The Asus screen is so bright and vibrant it almost rivals my iPad 4. The Surface kickstand/keyboard combo was not usable on my lap. The dock hinge on the Asus makes it like a netbook/laptop so no problems there. The Surface also was very slow and buggy to me whereas the Asus is fast and smooth. However, I only had the Surface at launch and returned it a month later, so it's possible many of the issues I encountered were bugs with the Windows 8 launch which have been resolved.

I only have 1 gripe with the unit itself: The tablet is supposed to lock into place to the dock hinge. However, while it seems to be sturdy when docked, I can easily pull the tablet off of the dock without using the latch. This sometimes occurs unintentionally when I am opening it from a closed/docked state.

My other issues are with Windows RT itself, whereas it only supports flash for websites it calls out in the Registry. This encompasses most heavily used websites but some smaller sites need to be added manually to the registry in order to "unlock" flash (the universal unsanctioned work around at the moment). The other RT complaint I have is the mail app, which is slow and fails to connect to the mail servers to update more often than I would like.

Don't listen to the complaints that the app store is small. It's rapidly growing and all of your essentials are there or on the way. I have owned several Apple and Android tablets over the years and this is my second Windows tablet, In my own personal opinion (and I don't mean to offend anyone), Apple tablets are restrictive in what they let you do, but are the most reliable. Android tablets are more functional and customizable, but are not as reliable or polished as Apple. Windows RT seems to take the middle ground and fills a hole in the market between these two interfaces. If you are contemplating this tablet, buy it!

I have the Surface RT and got this tablet for my father in law so was able to compare the two. Performance wise these tablets have identical specs as far as I know so that might just have been early software issues you encountered with your RT. I do think the ASUS one has a lot of stuff going for it and its a shame it doesn't get the same amount of attention as the Surface. They both have their pros and cons. Being used to the Surface kickstand, I can't imagine tablets without them now. Also the magnetically attached keyboard is awesome, especially if you opt for the Type cover with real keys. I do agree using it in your lap isn't as ideal as the ASUS. However, I do have a gripe with the difficulty of docking/undocking the ASUS keyboard. In the end though, I think I almost prefer the ASUS due to the lighter weight of the tablet part, the laptop feel of its dock, and the incredible 16 hours of battery life when docked.

viperdk 02-26-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agentkhiem (Post 57840380)
Wow, you're right.

I forgot to comment on battery life in my post above. Again, a complaint of mine with the surface was that the battery was about 5-6 hours at best. The Asus is closer to 9 hours when only in tablet form and 15 while docked. Again, it's real close (in tablet form) to that of my iPad 4.

jjct1 02-26-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simba39 (Post 57840048)
According to the specs, it does have a Micro HDMI port, so I guess you have to come up with another reason, or get your wallet out.:D

With the Surface RT (and I assume this) you can pick up a $5 adapter from Monoprice to hook it up to an HDMI screen. There is also a way to do VGA out with a different adapter (haven't found that one at Monoprice). If the Asus has the Micro HDMI it should work the same.

dragontales 02-26-2013 11:51 AM

O snap! Only 1 left.

LOL damn you SD! In for 1.

xedubx 02-26-2013 11:52 AM

OOS as I was pulling the trigger. grrr

AvengerLE 02-26-2013 11:52 AM

Hi all,

I have used both this tablet and the SurfaceRT for non-trivial amount of time. The battery on this (with dock) does last for quite a while. I never actually had it shut down on me (SurfaceRT did that several times).

The speakers on this is a bit weaker compared to the RT, but that may just have been my unit.
I was not able to notice any difference in the displays.
The kickstand on the RT is EXTREMELY handy. I do tend to use the RT more when I had both because of the convenience of the stand.
While on paper it sounds like the RT is just slightly heavier, in real life I do notice a big difference. Enough to make me wish Asus built a kickstand on this thing so I could have had the best of both worlds.

Oh yeah, and yes, this is an awesome tablet with dock. The charging cable/block is a USB cable + USB to wall outlet adapter, so you can potentially charge this thing on any USB (I never tried). At the very least, less adapter blocks to carry.

mgftp 02-26-2013 12:02 PM

I am so on the fence with this.... I have decided I am going to get a 10" tablet and this price on this is great, especially considering it includes the dock/keyboard even though it probably wont get much use from me.

But I have grown to hate Windows since iOS and Android have come about, and you can't even install Google Chrome on this thing from what I am reading, ugh. Maybe I am just better spending the extra money for the Nexus 10.

-

Edit: Well looks like my debate was decided for me, OOS now.

tommitls 02-26-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sd40 (Post 57840470)
Windows RT version is coming according to Splashtop:

http://support-remote.splashtop.c...op-client-

I suggest using teamviewer unattended access :) teamviewer is already available on windows 8 app store and is compatible with most operating systems

dragontales 02-26-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgftp (Post 57841004)
I am so on the fence with this.... I have decided I am going to get a 10" tablet and this price on this is great, especially considering it includes the dock/keyboard even though it probably wont get much use from me.

But I have grown to hate Windows since iOS and Android have come about, and you can't even install Google Chrome on this thing from what I am reading, ugh. Maybe I am just better spending the extra money for the Nexus 10.

-

isn't the iOS a pretty stagnant os?

Windows 7 has been great.

wholovepandora 02-26-2013 12:08 PM

Can I install Google Chrome on it?

sleepybubba 02-26-2013 12:09 PM

already did :( this place will get me bankrupted

Zephon13 02-26-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tehxeno (Post 57840060)

Also, if someone could list available emulators that'd be awesome.

If there is splashtop support I would probably jump.

Edit: I found a workaround to search through the store...
Use google with

I did not find any splashtop support, but there is support for VNC.

There is also a lack of emulators, it seems SNES only one currently.

I will opt out of this deal. Thanks for the post though!

You could also use TeamViewer... From what I can tell, RT supports it.

Edit: I see someone else recommended it too, lol. I use it everyday at work for supporting clients. It's a well featured remote access utility and it runs very smoothly on a good connection.

AaronDotNET 02-26-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wholovepandora (Post 57841180)
Can I install Google Chrome on it?

Short answer, no. Long answer, on RT devices you can only install apps from the W8 store. So unless Google submits a Chrome app to the store, you will not have Chome. Although the folks at XDA have created a tool to unlock the WinRT desktop and let you run unsigned code. They are even working on a port of Chromium to WinRT desktop. However, I'm not sure what your reasons are for wanting Chrome, but IE10 is a very capable touch based browser that shouldn't be prejudged based on past versions of IE.

tehxeno 02-26-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zephon13 (Post 57841224)
You could also use TeamViewer... From what I can tell, RT supports it.

Edit: I see someone else recommended it too, lol. I use it everyday at work for supporting clients. It's a well featured remote access utility and it runs very smoothly on a good connection.

I have had better results with Splashtop when using it for remotely playing games on the touch screen.
I didn't get to test it much, was waiting to get a tablet before I really bothered to set up many games.

wholovepandora 02-26-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronDotNET (Post 57841314)
Short answer, no. Long answer, on RT devices you can only install apps from the W8 store. So unless Google submits a Chrome app to the store, you will not have Chome. Although the folks at XDA have created a tool to unlock the WinRT desktop and let you run unsigned code. They are even working on a port of Chromium to WinRT desktop. However, I'm not sure what your reasons are for wanting Chrome, but IE10 is a very capable touch based browser that shouldn't be prejudged based on past versions of IE.

Thanks!

sillingworth 02-26-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aedgington (Post 57839158)

It can handle the h264 content in the mkv but it does not support hte mkv codec. This will soon change with the release of vlc for windows rt. When I want to play my mkv files on my surface I use vlc to change the codec from mkv to mp4 with out encoding the audio or video. This process takes 10 seconds and the files play great off my sd card.

NeverSummer07 02-26-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgftp (Post 57841004)

-

I used to hate MS, love Google/Apple/linux. Now I don't care, I buy things that serve my needs. Being a fanboy is too much work,... and hates:)

I have Chrome and FF installed in my Samsung 500T Atom tablet and use neither after using Metro IE. It is 99.9% browser of choice for Win8 tablet. UI work so well with touch, my favorite feature is swipe left to go back a page and right to forward a page.

Ryan456789 02-26-2013 12:21 PM

Too bad they ended it

cyborg95 02-26-2013 12:22 PM

Sold out

puddnhead 02-26-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ioric18 (Post 57838146)
It's been a while since I'm following up with the tablet trends, so sorry for the dumb question.
Can I root a RT tablet and put in Android?

No. .

beggerking 02-26-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViRaL (Post 57838986)
I have this and I like it. No it doesn't do everything full Windows 8 Pro tablet does, but we're also talking about $350. Even with the Latitude 10 at@499, you're still adding $119 for a dock (which doesn't include a keyboard or pointing device) and NO OFFICE APPS included.

I've set mine up to print to my Brother HL-2270DW with the generic Brother PCL6 driver. I can connect to any wi-fi, it has front and rear facing cameras, bluetooth, NFC, HDMI out and a MicroSD slot. In the end, think of it as a great tablet that runs WindowsRT. There are a fair number of apps in the app store for it and they're adding more. Will it do everything Windows 8 Pro will do? No, absolutely not. Will it do more than enough to make it a great tablet and a great deal at $350? Yes, it will.

honestly, i would take http://www.amazon.com/VivoTab-Sma...574&sr=1-5
over this deal anyday..

it runs full windows8 which enables you to install office, openoffice, or any software available out there...

unfortunately MS store software are severely lacking... not looking good...

I would still take over over anything iCrapple makes.

deymayor 02-26-2013 12:30 PM

I dont see the point of comparing this or any Win 8 devices to iPad or Android devices. Clearly, it serves a purpose that no other ecosystem can so let's just leave it at that.

ViRaL 02-26-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beggerking (Post 57841624)
honestly, i would take http://www.amazon.com/VivoTab-Sma...574&sr=1-5
over this deal anyday..

it runs full windows8 which enables you to install office, openoffice, or any software available out there...

unfortunately MS store software are severely lacking... not looking good...

I would still take over over anything iCrapple makes.

Over $700 with the dock (which doesn't add battery life like this one) and even the most basic MS Office and while it does give you the full Windows 8 Pro experience, it's still an Atom.

gibsonbass 02-26-2013 12:32 PM

Thanx god it went oos. Else, I would have been short of $350.

tommitls 02-26-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tehxeno (Post 57841354)
I have had better results with Splashtop when using it for remotely playing games on the touch screen.
I didn't get to test it much, was waiting to get a tablet before I really bothered to set up many games.

oooh didn't realize you could really play games using RDP...figure it would be too laggy

behappyhk 02-26-2013 01:02 PM

Seems like back in stock.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-10-1...5aeea3a95e

Barbados82 02-26-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by behappyhk (Post 57842576)

Oh boy...I was hoping that wasn't the case. My wallet somehow opened itself up and crapped out $350. :omg:

dragontales 02-26-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbados82 (Post 57842792)
Oh boy...I was hoping that wasn't the case. My wallet somehow opened itself up and crapped out $350. :omg:

my wallet is taking a smelly endless dump thanks to sd. :mad:

Barbados82 02-26-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragontales (Post 57842816)
my wallet is taking a smelly endless dump thanks to sd. :mad:

Seriously! Slickdeals has the same effect of Taco Bell, except on my wallet.

However, this will be my first Windows 8 tablet and I'm looking forward to good things. Only tablet I own is the HP Touchpad, which will be eBay fodder soon. Any tips on what to load up on the Asus when I get it?

beggerking 02-26-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViRaL (Post 57841788)
Over $700 with the dock (which doesn't add battery life like this one) and even the most basic MS Office and while it does give you the full Windows 8 Pro experience, it's still an Atom.

well it is a dual core atom, about 5 times faster than the Arm cpu in this deal.

OpenOffice is free...trial is free

don't need a dock... just get any bluetooth keyboard or any keyboard with USB.

g0tw33d 02-26-2013 01:29 PM

Did anybody get the squaretrade warranty with this tablet?

Manlet 02-26-2013 01:38 PM

Bought it, if I like it better than my Chromebook, that will just go to my dad!

mgftp 02-26-2013 01:38 PM

Oh no, now I need to think again about if I want it or not.

Any idea of how much this could be sold on Ebay lightly used for? Can we expect a slew of resells after this sale? If I can get my money back a month down the line I'd like to try it out, just too nervous I am going to hate Windows RT.

Nikola-Tesla 02-26-2013 01:57 PM

Great deal. Thanks

Processing... 02-26-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g0tw33d (Post 57843200)
Did anybody get the squaretrade warranty with this tablet?

I got an automatic email quote from squaretrade for $39 for two years of coverage, but when I clicked on the link it increased the price to $59 (I think it has something to do with the fact that the seller had changed the price from $350 to $550, which changed the squaretrade warranty from "100% Parts & Labor $349.00" to "100% Parts & Labor $549.00"). I'm assuming that I'd be able to manually change the price if I independently went on the site to request the warranty.

g0tw33d 02-26-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Processing... (Post 57843958)
I got an automatic email quote from squaretrade for $39 for two years of coverage, but when I clicked on the link it increased the price to $59 (I think it has something to do with the fact that the seller had changed the price from $350 to $550, which changed the squaretrade warranty from "100% Parts & Labor $349.00" to "100% Parts & Labor $549.00"). I'm assuming that I'd be able to manually change the price if I independently went on the site to request the warranty.

Is this for the machine itself or the accidental coverage?

Processing... 02-26-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g0tw33d (Post 57844098)
Is this for the machine itself or the accidental coverage?

just the tablet, it will at least double the cost to include accidental coverage

rock91306 02-26-2013 02:45 PM

If open this, would it still be returnable, or is the return policy only applicable when its still sealed?

dragontales 02-26-2013 02:53 PM

Got this email pretty quickly:

"Shipping Notification
Thanks for your order! Your order has been packed and has been assigned a tracking number(s). It will ship by the end of today. Please find all shipping details below. "

Dozens 02-26-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rock91306 (Post 57845108)
If open this, would it still be returnable, or is the return policy only applicable when its still sealed?

Notebooks, Netbooks, Tablets, iPads and Computers cannot be returned or exchanged once opened or unwrapped.

http://www.adorama.com/help/returnPolicy

dragontales 02-26-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dozens (Post 57845472)
Notebooks, Netbooks, Tablets, iPads and Computers cannot be returned or exchanged once opened or unwrapped.

http://www.adorama.com/help/returnPolicy

Better watch tons of youtube reviews before opening that sucker. :D

Corrosive 02-26-2013 03:13 PM

So I got noticed that my dock shipped but not the tablet... Also there is showing a charge that I still owe 80 to adarama (I think)... My paypal shows that I payed 350 already though... Also the tablet says its backordered so who knows when I will get it... I am hoping I can cancel my order. I don't want to have to wait around for this to come in.

dragontales 02-26-2013 04:36 PM

Got a tracking number (although not trackable yet) for the tablet. WOoooooo!

Dozens 02-26-2013 05:31 PM

Got my tracking number too. Too bad I'm on the other side of the country, UPS Ground will be painfully slow.

Corrosive 02-26-2013 06:06 PM

I had a total false alarm, mine is on the way too.

integra15 02-26-2013 06:59 PM

This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available.

TheJagMan 02-26-2013 08:30 PM

Mine is expected to be delivered on Monday. Now the wait begins.

Barbados82 02-26-2013 09:44 PM

Anybody see any good cases for this?

ViRaL 02-27-2013 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbados82 (Post 57853172)
Anybody see any good cases for this?

I've got this one and I like it. The keyboard piece can unsnap from the tablet if you don't want to take it along.

http://www.amazon.com/Poetic-Keyb...se+vivo+rt

PromoGuru 02-27-2013 07:50 AM

They had this also last week but this is a great price.

uhsarp 02-27-2013 09:16 AM

I was waiting for a full featured windows 8 tablet for $150 - $300 (call me crazy but I'm a true slickdealer) even if I have to wait for a few months. Not at all ready to spend $800 -$1200 for a surface pro. But I jumped on this deal because the price seems to be good. Now I'm wondering if its worth it considering the limited support of apps and most importantly the inability to install native apps. Anybody else in the same boat and planning to return without opening it?

dragontales 02-27-2013 09:17 AM

both tablet and kb has shipped. looks like they are coming from diff places and arriving at diff times.

mathiasdk 02-27-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uhsarp (Post 57860214)
I was waiting for a full featured windows 8 tablet for $150 - $300 (call me crazy but I'm a true slickdealer) even if I have to wait for a few months. Not at all ready to spend $800 -$1200 for a surface pro. But I jumped on this deal because the price seems to be good. Now I'm wondering if its worth it considering the limited support of apps and most importantly the inability to install native apps. Anybody else in the same boat and planning to return without opening it?

would you be willing to sell it to me, and ship it to Denmark for a small Premeium, I waited a tad to long yesterday to get it directly through adorama.

suicideskull 02-27-2013 02:02 PM

getting mine tomorrow!

Barbados82 02-27-2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uhsarp (Post 57860214)

I'm not gonna lie...I thought about it. However, after spending several hours doing research, I came to the conclusion that it's a really good tablet at $350. I really just wanted something with light weight, mobility, and around 10" or higher. I already own a gaming desktop that I put together and an Asus Republic of Gamers laptop, so this Vivotab (with keyboard) will fill in for my frustratingly bad HP Touchpad. The Touchpad, even with Android, was a mess and I'll be happy to get rid of it.

Just ask yourself what you really need your tablet to do. Web browsing and Microsoft Office? RT will get the job done just fine.

IssacClarke 02-28-2013 11:01 AM

I'll buy it for $375 if anyone is having buyers remorse.

uhsarp 02-28-2013 06:04 PM

I was planning to use it for video streaming, browsing (with roboform plugin! Really HATE to type in firstname,lastname, address, CC info and filling forms while shopping or causal browsing. And the android roboform plugin sucks) So I wanted a windows tablet with roboform support and seamless Windows network sharing (CIFS in android). No sane person should have to copy files & videos to a tablet before you can play on it (for offline content.. not talking about cloud).
But being a frugal person and after being burned down by other tablets before, I felt like maybe I should wait for a few more months for one of surface pro tablets to be offered on sale.. maybe around $350 like this one. Wouldn't that be worth the wait?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbados82 (Post 57877164)
I'm not gonna lie...I thought about it. However, after spending several hours doing research, I came to the conclusion that it's a really good tablet at $350. I really just wanted something with light weight, mobility, and around 10" or higher. I already own a gaming desktop that I put together and an Asus Republic of Gamers laptop, so this Vivotab (with keyboard) will fill in for my frustratingly bad HP Touchpad. The Touchpad, even with Android, was a mess and I'll be happy to get rid of it.

Just ask yourself what you really need your tablet to do. Web browsing and Microsoft Office? RT will get the job done just fine.

Barbados82 02-28-2013 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uhsarp (Post 57898328)
I was planning to use it for video streaming, browsing (with roboform plugin! Really HATE to type in firstname,lastname, address, CC info and filling forms while shopping or causal browsing. And the android roboform plugin sucks) So I wanted a windows tablet with roboform support and seamless Windows network sharing (CIFS in android). No sane person should have to copy files & videos to a tablet before you can play on it (for offline content.. not talking about cloud).
But being a frugal person and after being burned down by other tablets before, I felt like maybe I should wait for a few more months for one of surface pro tablets to be offered on sale.. maybe around $350 like this one. Wouldn't that be worth the wait?

I know what you mean about being burned. Granted, the only tablet I really had was the Touchpad (unless you count the original Nook Color too).

As for the Windows 8 tablets? You're probably going to be waiting for awhile. I highly doubt they will drop in price, especially to $350, anytime soon.

uhsarp 02-28-2013 09:13 PM

I owned a touchpad and switched to a native android tablet first chance I got. Touchpad felt terrible after the transition.
I'm a bit more optimistic about finding a good deal on the win 8 tablets later this year. Many reasons for this. As next generation tablets make their way out, these first generation tablet prices have to come down. Secondly, Microsoft sales figures aren't that good and they will offer them on sale from time to time in the coming months. Also more manufacturers will be producing windows 8 tablets as the rt ecosystem is in the process of evolving which will foster competition and bring the prices down. Six months is a long time in the smartphone/tablet business. I bought Note 1 for $600 a couple of months after it was released. 6 months later (and now) I can get a nice used one for $300 on cowboom. Moreover I bet I'll find a full featured windows 8 tablet for $300 to $400 this black friday.

But the question is are we willing to wait that long to save a few hundred bucks to get a full windows 8 tablet? The answer for me is yes because here's the math if I hold on to this rt and buy a full win 8 tablet in november.

rt price = $350
pro price (estd in nov) = $400

by then I can probably sell rt for ~$200
so total cost would be $750-$200 = $550

so one would be paying $150 approx. just for owing a tablet till bf 2013. Since I have a note, I can probably wait. And if we get lucky, we might find a better deal for the same price in the next couple of months.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbados82 (Post 57901364)
I know what you mean about being burned. Granted, the only tablet I really had was the Touchpad (unless you count the original Nook Color too).

As for the Windows 8 tablets? You're probably going to be waiting for awhile. I highly doubt they will drop in price, especially to $350, anytime soon.

Pagefault 02-28-2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disoneviet (Post 57837506)

The version of Office that shipped pre-installed was a beta, and it was sluggish. Running Windows Update to get the final version of Office made it plenty responsive.

Likewise, there were a couple OS and firmware updates early on that sped things up and generally made things feel snappy. Compared to the Surface Pro, apps load slower, but if you don't have that to compare, the load times aren't bad.

Except for the mail app. It's kind of a slug and I hope it gets a major update soon.

Pagefault 02-28-2013 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommitls (Post 57841866)
oooh didn't realize you could really play games using RDP...figure it would be too laggy

Remote Desktop is greatly improved when going Windows 8 to Windows 8. You wouldn't want to play anything fast twitch (Jetpack Joyride is a bad idea), but you'd be surprised what is playable, especially on a fast network.

wksk 03-01-2013 08:34 AM

Mines out for delivery. Should be here to my office within an hour or so. pretty stoked to play with it. kinda bored with ios and android. theres already a way to root it and an x86 emulator and people porting apps so should be fun to tinker with at least for a while

wksk 03-01-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wksk (Post 57909644)
Mines out for delivery. Should be here to my office within an hour or so. pretty stoked to play with it. kinda bored with ios and android. theres already a way to root it and an x86 emulator and people porting apps so should be fun to tinker with at least for a while

Just got it in. The unit itself seems solid in the hand. really digging the windows 8 platform so far. its nice to be able to use a mouse. im very excited about this purchase. thanks again op

uhsarp 03-01-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wksk (Post 57913194)
Just got it in. The unit itself seems solid in the hand. really digging the windows 8 platform so far. its nice to be able to use a mouse. im very excited about this purchase. thanks again op

post a video review..:cool:

Manlet 03-02-2013 09:44 PM

When I updated the tablet, the icons on the taskbar for all the Office programs aren't showing up, they're all white pages, instead of the standard images. Anyone know how to fix this? Already tried restarting, shutting down.

cybernevets 03-03-2013 08:20 AM

I wish I had a solution for you. I've owned 3 different brands of RT tablets and have not seen this on any of them both before and after the Office RT update. You may get an answer if you post your situation on the Surface forum:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-u.../surfwinrt

sd40 03-03-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disoneviet (Post 57948316)
When I updated the tablet, the icons on the taskbar for all the Office programs aren't showing up, they're all white pages, instead of the standard images. Anyone know how to fix this? Already tried restarting, shutting down.

They upgraded Office from Preview to Final version and in the process the old taskbar shortcuts are removed somehow. You can manually re-pin them as you normally do in Windows 7. In the start screen, type Word (or Excel or whatever you want) to launch the program, then on the desktop taskbar, press and hold to bring up the option to pin.

Manlet 03-03-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sd40 (Post 57956922)
They upgraded Office from Preview to Final version and in the process the old taskbar shortcuts are removed somehow. You can manually re-pin them as you normally do in Windows 7. In the start screen, type Word (or Excel or whatever you want) to launch the program, then on the desktop taskbar, press and hold to bring up the option to pin.

Yep, that's what I ended up doing! Thanks.

Manlet 03-03-2013 04:38 PM

Ah, another problem. I'm trying to download and install apps from the store, but it never does it! All it says is "pending" and never does anything else..

agentkhiem 03-04-2013 07:10 PM

A couple of problems so far. First, the backlight seems to flicker when it's at it's lowest setting. Second, the brightness isn't as bright I thought. My Nexus 7 is brighter. Third, I got a dead pixel. And last, the keyboard dock's arrow key has this extra plastic that wasn't cut properly, so it's like leaving crumbs in it and trying to press the keys.

I'm going to try and process an exchange because I still want to love this tablet.

Processing... 03-05-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agentkhiem (Post 57992770)
A couple of problems so far. First, the backlight seems to flicker when it's at it's lowest setting. Second, the brightness isn't as bright I thought. My Nexus 7 is brighter. Third, I got a dead pixel. And last, the keyboard dock's arrow key has this extra plastic that wasn't cut properly, so it's like leaving crumbs in it and trying to press the keys.

I'm going to try and process an exchange because I still want to love this tablet.

the brightness issue may be because it comes with the auto-brightness setting on...if you go to settings you can turn this off and manually set the brightness level. I haven't compared it to a Nexus 7, but it seems a lot brighter than some of the older tablets I've had (touchpad, playbook, ipad, ipad2, sony tablet s)

I also have a dead pixel...do you know if they will replace the tablet with a new or refurbished unit? We have 30 days on the pixel warranty and I think that I'd rather keep it with the dead pixel than have a refurbished unit (having the refurbished unit may hurt the resale value).

TheJagMan 03-05-2013 02:24 PM

The keyboard sure makes it feel heavy. I have had not issues with mine so far. I am favoring my Chromebook over it because of the larger screen the Chromebooks has.

agentkhiem 03-05-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Processing... (Post 58011760)
the brightness issue may be because it comes with the auto-brightness setting on...if you go to settings you can turn this off and manually set the brightness level. I haven't compared it to a Nexus 7, but it seems a lot brighter than some of the older tablets I've had (touchpad, playbook, ipad, ipad2, sony tablet s)

I also have a dead pixel...do you know if they will replace the tablet with a new or refurbished unit? We have 30 days on the pixel warranty and I think that I'd rather keep it with the dead pixel than have a refurbished unit (having the refurbished unit may hurt the resale value).

Yes I forced it to maximum brightness. My Nexus 7 and my LG Optimus L9 are brighter :(

I'm trying to do an exchange, IMO I think that's better than using the warranty.

Processing... 03-06-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agentkhiem (Post 58013968)
Yes I forced it to maximum brightness. My Nexus 7 and my LG Optimus L9 are brighter :(

I'm trying to do an exchange, IMO I think that's better than using the warranty.

I didn't even think about asking for an exchange (given that it was an eBay purchase)...how did that go?

agentkhiem 03-06-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Processing... (Post 58031754)
I didn't even think about asking for an exchange (given that it was an eBay purchase)...how did that go?

Going smooth so far. They replied back to call ASUS for a case number and them send it to Adorama for the exchange. They'll be covering my return shipping, so that's very nice of them. I'm not sure if they do that regularly but I'm glad of what they can offer.

badflash 03-06-2013 12:42 PM

Anyone in the Bay Area want my Asus Vivotab RT? Should be arriving today. Will sell at cost. Thanks.

dragontales 03-06-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badflash (Post 58035648)
Anyone in the Bay Area want my Asus Vivotab RT? Should be arriving today. Will sell at cost. Thanks.

you no likey?

TheJagMan 03-06-2013 01:18 PM

Anyone have an issue of the Vivotab not automatically connecting to your wi-fi network? I have to to manually connect to my wi-fi network each time I turn the Vivotab on. I have checked the box to connect to this network automatically.

badflash 03-06-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragontales (Post 58035808)
you no likey?

Can't afford it at this time. Bought too many toys this month. LOL. Someone take it off my hands, too tempted to open it..

dragontales 03-06-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badflash (Post 58038572)
Can't afford it at this time. Bought too many toys this month. LOL. Someone take it off my hands, too tempted to open it..

I just opened mine. This thing is thin, light and sleek. You have to open it haha!

playsccr 03-06-2013 09:50 PM

is the hinge on the keyboard "stiff" to open.

Processing... 03-07-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agentkhiem (Post 58033110)
Going smooth so far. They replied back to call ASUS for a case number and them send it to Adorama for the exchange. They'll be covering my return shipping, so that's very nice of them. I'm not sure if they do that regularly but I'm glad of what they can offer.

good to know, I'll have to try contacting them before I go through ASUS directly, thanks

agentkhiem 03-08-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Processing... (Post 58059318)
good to know, I'll have to try contacting them before I go through ASUS directly, thanks

I just sent mine back yesterday. Good store to work with.

playsccr 03-12-2013 12:07 AM

I'm interested in selling mine at cost. Pm me

s4alex 03-12-2013 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badflash (Post 58038572)

You still want to sell it? Where in the Bay are you?

playsccr 03-14-2013 12:17 PM

wksk 03-15-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agentkhiem (Post 58089200)
I just sent mine back yesterday. Good store to work with.

i sent mine back the other day and they received it. got an email from adorama saying that warehouse is out of stock so they will only issue refund. not sure what im going to do at this point but theres a heads up

Reuchlin 03-15-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by playsccr (Post 58158300)

sending a pm.....

mmbond 04-02-2013 01:13 PM

Also interested in selling at cost. PM me...