Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Hot Deals (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   MoCA Network Adapter - $50+SH+tax (http://slickdeals.net/f/5883278-moca-network-adapter-50-sh-tax)

gabu 03-01-2013 12:50 PM

MoCA Network Adapter - $50+SH+tax

This is the cheapest i've seen for a MoCA Network Adapter.

Shipping was 8.50 for me and and not much more if you order more than one.

Link [tivo.com]

deando 03-01-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabu (Post 57918818)

Link [tivo.com]

It's not clear to me whether $50 for a single adapter or it comes in a pair? Not a good deal if it's just for one.

Anyone know if this is compatible with Netgear MoCA adapter. I currently have the Netgear, and it works great. I would like to add more adapters to other rooms.

w3bCraw1er 03-01-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Link [tivo.com]

This is Actiontec Moca 2500 model. You can buy both for about $85 with no tax on Amazon (other vendor).

I assume Tivo is selling one for 49 + Tax + SH which is not really awesome deal. I think Amazon has the same one for $63 (single).

ron111 03-01-2013 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w3bCraw1er (Post 57922094)
This is Actiontec Moca 2500 model. You can buy both for about $85 with no tax on Amazon (other vendor).

I assume Tivo is selling one for 49 + Tax + SH which is not really awesome deal. I think Amazon has the same one for $63 (single).

Actually there is Amazon tax on us Californians now.

Phoeniix 03-05-2013 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ron111 (Post 57931118)
Actually there is Amazon tax on us Californians now.

Some third party vendors do not charge tax. I think that's why he put (other vendor)

bonkman 03-05-2013 04:55 AM

Quote:

Link [tivo.com]

ebay actiontec mi424wr router.

It's a moca bridge. And is almost always cheaper than this.

Not as tiny, though.

Goodhur 03-05-2013 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w3bCraw1er (Post 57922094)
Quote:

Link [tivo.com]

I just was looking for one of these. It is a decent price.

I ended up getting a used $15 westell 9100 router, using its moca capabilities, bridging it and using the ethernet ports as an ethernet switch. By using the router that way I have ethernet for my game console, bluray and TV. I would have bought the posted moca adapter before but not now I know about using the old routers instead. The router solution worked best for me.

jdmst77 03-05-2013 05:19 AM

is there any other use for a MoCA network other than TiVo & ?DVR??

Beradon 03-05-2013 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmst77 (Post 58000282)

Its a good way to extend an Ethernet network in your house without having to wire it. Its quite a lot more reliable than powerline networking and gives much more consistant speeds, although they wont claim to be as fast.

I have 2 Netgear MOCA adapters that I get a consistant 70-100mbps between and they are across the house from one another. Most Powerline adapters claim speeds in the range of 200-500mbps but usually cant pull off more than 15-30mbps if you are lucky, especially if you have to go any real distance in a house with them. Those speeds they claim are usually from one outlet to another in a single room without traversing any junction boxes.

thadiyan 03-05-2013 05:24 AM

You use this to create a wired LAN at home between upstairs and downstairs, works like a charm even when I am streaming 1080p mkvs around. I have had these for about 4 years now and it is ROCK solid. PM me if you have any specific questions.

Quote:

jdmst77 03-05-2013 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beradon (Post 58000304)
Its a good way to extend an Ethernet network in your house without having to wire it. Its quite a lot more reliable than powerline networking and gives much more consistant speeds, although they wont claim to be as fast.

I have 2 Netgear MOCA adapters that I get 70mbps between and they are across the house from one another. Most Powerline adapters claim speeds in the range of 200-500mbps but usually cant pull off more than 15-30mbps if you are lucky, especially if you have to go any real distance in a house with them. Those speeds they claim are usually from one outlet to another in a single room without traversing any junction boxes.

wow, if it is that slow, I'll just stick to my FIOS N router to my E3000 (Tomato) N bridge setup that I'm currently running
Quote:

Originally Posted by thadiyan (Post 58000312)
You use this to create a wired LAN at home between upstairs and downstairs, works like a charm even when I am streaming 1080p mkvs around. I have had these for about 4 years now and it is ROCK solid. PM me if you have any specific questions.

do you get the same slow speeds reported above?

Beradon 03-05-2013 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmst77 (Post 58000360)
wow, if it is that slow, I'll just stick to my FIOS N router to my E3000 (Tomato) N bridge setup that I'm currently running

If your wireless connection is stable and solid, then by all means, stick with it. MOCA isnt fast, read the capability of that adapter, like the Netgear, it has a combined multistream speed of about 185mbps (and I mean that in a bidirectional sense, single stream, single direction performance is right at what I said, around 70-100mbps, the ethernet port on the adapters are even only 100Mb ports).

http://support.actiontec.com/doc_...dapter.pdf

The Actiontec MOCA has the same chipset in it as my Netgear, so dont expect any difference.

The biggest benefit to the MOCA is the stability. If you have a lot of usage on your wireless network, since it is a shared medium, these actually have a chance at offering a more consistent and more stable connection. I wouldnt use these to transfer large files or anything, but for video streaming, nothing is better (outside of an actual wired ethernet connection).

On that note, however, and in reference to this specific deal, if you really are interested in MOCA, you'd want to determine if the MOCA for this deal is a single or multiple adapters. If it is a single one, the price is not all that great. There are a number of examples of getting 2 MOCA adapters (actiontec or netgear) for around the $80 range:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-New-Net...35c51ddd4f

bonkman 03-05-2013 05:42 AM

Quote:

Rather than running ethernet in my house, I used a MoCA bridge on my bedroom HTPC to connect to the internet via coax.

yazyazoo 03-05-2013 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goodhur (Post 58000106)

I ended up getting a used $15 westell 9100 router, using its moca capabilities, bridging it and using the ethernet ports as an ethernet switch. By using the router that way I have ethernet for my game console, bluray and TV. I would have bought the posted moca adapter before but not now I know about using the old routers instead. The router solution worked best for me.

So do you have to disable the wireless on these westell? What if you want to use your own router? Did you need a splitter at each connection that has a tv also? Was bridging between two a setting in the router menu?

I have the old Netgear MOCA for years. Love it. I needed to put a switch to get more than one port so you method looks nice. The Netgear was easy to get to talk to each other and that is why I am asking what you did for the westell?

thadiyan 03-05-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmst77 (Post 58000360)

I get the same speeds the previous poster mentioned, but it is consistent and serves my need perfectly. Although gigabit would be nice, there isn't much of a requirement for me.

jdmst77 03-05-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beradon (Post 58000452)
If your wireless connection is stable and solid, then by all means, stick with it. MOCA isnt fast, read the capability of that adapter, like the Netgear, it has a combined multistream speed of about 185mbps (and I mean that in a bidirectional sense, single stream, single direction performance is right at what I said, around 70-100mbps, the ethernet port on the adapters are even only 100Mb ports).

http://support.actiontec.com/doc_...dapter.pdf

The Actiontec MOCA has the same chipset in it as my Netgear, so dont expect any difference.

The biggest benefit to the MOCA is the stability. If you have a lot of usage on your wireless network, since it is a shared medium, these actually have a chance at offering a more consistent and more stable connection. I wouldnt use these to transfer large files or anything, but for video streaming, nothing is better (outside of an actual wired ethernet connection).

On that note, however, and in reference to this specific deal, if you really are interested in MOCA, you'd want to determine if the MOCA for this deal is a single or multiple adapters. If it is a single one, the price is not all that great. There are a number of examples of getting 2 MOCA adapters (actiontec or netgear) for around the $80 range:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-New-Net...35c51ddd4f

Thanks. Repped for the advice. My wireless network is extremely stable now that I got Verizon to upgrade the router to the new wireless N version. My TV and cable box are all connected to through a Gigabit ethernet port then bridged to the modem/router.
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonkman (Post 58000554)
Rather than running ethernet in my house, I used a MoCA bridge on my bedroom HTPC to connect to the internet via coax.

I guess that would be an option if the bridge I have setup couldn't hold a good signal to the main router. Thanks and Repped for the response.
Quote:

Originally Posted by thadiyan (Post 58006328)
I get the same speeds the previous poster mentioned, but it is consistent and serves my need perfectly. Although gigabit would be nice, there isn't much of a requirement for me.

Thanks, also repped

bonkman 03-05-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmst77 (Post 58008174)
I guess that would be an option if the bridge I have setup couldn't hold a good signal to the main router. Thanks and Repped for the response.

Exactly. My wireless doesn't stretch and so this was an easy and reliable solution.

Plus, since I'm using mi424wr routers as the bridges, I have an additional wireless access point for my network, which is nice.

Goodhur 03-06-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yazyazoo (Post 58000888)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goodhur (Post 58000106)

So do you have to disable the wireless on these westell? What if you want to use your own router? Did you need a splitter at each connection that has a tv also? Was bridging between two a setting in the router menu?

I have the old Netgear MOCA for years. Love it. I needed to put a switch to get more than one port so you method looks nice. The Netgear was easy to get to talk to each other and that is why I am asking what you did for the westell?

I did opt to disable the wireless, yes a coax splitter is needed to the TV. I used this guide: http://fooit.blogspot.com/2009/07...-mode.html
I am using my own router (airport extreme to fios ONT) I change the DHCP range in the guide from 192.168.0.x to 10.0.1.x to work with AirPort Extreme. I can re enable the wireless as an ap. VOD, wifi remote work fine, I don't use media manager (don't know if that works)
I did lose ability to access dvr outside my network I.e over 3G. Not a big deal for me

rjs987 12-03-2013 06:44 PM

Does this come with 2 units as shown in the picture?