Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Tech Support (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Smartphone Recommendations (http://slickdeals.net/f/5888270-smartphone-recommendations)

Foreveryours 03-04-2013 04:14 PM

Smartphone Recommendations

I have 3 lines eligible for upgrade with AT&T, talked to Retention after receiving no help from Sales. When asked what my total termination fee would be, I was offered $150 discount off each line upgrade. So Galaxy S3 will cost me $50, Note 2 $150, and so on. If I get a phone priced at less than $150, such as the Nokia Windows 8 phone, then the balance would not transfer.

What would be your recommendations?

mrbobhcrhs 03-04-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foreveryours (Post 57990226)
I have 3 lines eligible for upgrade with AT&T, talked to Retention after receiving no help from Sales. When asked what my total termination fee would be, I was offered $150 discount off each line upgrade. So Galaxy S3 will cost me $50, Note 2 $150, and so on. If I get a phone priced at less than $150, such as the Nokia Windows 8 phone, then the balance would not transfer.

I read a lifehacker story that you can often apply the discount to your bill. Granted you will have to pay for the phones outright, but could be an option if you are looking at something less then the $150.

Foreveryours 03-04-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrbobhcrhs (Post 57991168)
I read a lifehacker story that you can often apply the discount to your bill. Granted you will have to pay for the phones outright, but could be an option if you are looking at something less then the $150.

Good to know, rep'd.

mrbobhcrhs 03-04-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foreveryours (Post 57991504)
Good to know, rep'd.

This [lifehacker.com] should be the link, but LF is messed up on my network.

Foreveryours 03-04-2013 06:19 PM

LG Optimus G vs Lumia 920 vs Xperia TL?

Shadows292 03-04-2013 09:27 PM

I just got the Lumia 810. I like WP8 very much. The looking is refreshing and it's snappy. There's not as many apps for WP, but all I want is a few games, so it work for me. My Andriod phone experience is limited to the original Galaxy, which had terrible battery life, though I like my Nexus 7. Luckily, I put the Galaxy through the washer and had to get something else. The 810 goes about two days, but the champ was the iPhone, which went three.

LiquidRetro 03-05-2013 06:56 AM

S3 and Note 2 are great phones. S3 is a little old at this point and a new model is being announced in about a week. Although it probably wont be available for a few months. I have the note 2 on verizon and love it. It's a bit big but still quite nice. Battery life is amazing, since it has about 2x the battery of just about any other phone. Let me know if you have questions.

Curtieson 03-05-2013 07:20 AM

I have a Nokia Lumia 920 and am really happy with the experience. I am constantly screwing around / reading up on phones so I can be a bit partial to what I have decided 'is best'...but I also bought one for my sister, who is as much of an average NYC Mom on a Phone as you can get, and she loves it. Just talked to her last week and she was talking about how she couldn't imagine plugging her phone in any more. Whenever she is at her house she sets it on the wireless charger and fills it up.

When we got our phones the charger was free. They are $50 normally...you could perhaps get them to push some of the $150 balance to free chargers if they won't let it apply to the bill.

The main knock to the Lumia 920 hardware is the size, but it isn't any bigger than an iPhone in a case. Battery life is as to be expected...right in that 'average' area where you will have to charge it at the end of a long day, but it will get you a couple of days if you baby it, no problem. Plus it has the best low light camera (indoor shots) of anything on the market.

Also, if you read up on the Tech News, you will read about Nokia really pushing to get into the smartphone game. The end result of that is a company DRIVEN to give you the best experience possible and throwing money around to get results. They are constantly coming out with new exclusive apps, and really pushing their navigation experience with their HERE platform.

Kolto 03-05-2013 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtieson (Post 58002504)
Also, if you read up on the Tech News, you will read about Nokia really pushing to get into the smartphone game. The end result of that is a company DRIVEN to give you the best experience possible and throwing money around to get results. They are constantly coming out with new exclusive apps, and really pushing their navigation experience with their HERE platform.

seriously you're such a shill lol.
This reads just like a PR release dude.

Why can't the argument be the same for Samsung pushing the Smartphone game by claiming #1 from Apple? Or the constant push of new hardware/innovation from them?
Why aren't they driven to give you the best experience possible and throw money around?

Or Google with its investment in Android and the whole google experience?
Come on man, unless you're being paid to be a PR guy, leave this type of garbage out of your bias opinion lol.

Curtieson 03-05-2013 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IPT (Post 58002774)

I am not a shill, I am a share holder...there is a difference. I even clearly said I was partial to my choice. So...:shutup: with the personal attacks.

Fine...say Samsung is all in on Android...then why are they making their own OS or going in with Intel??? Can you explain that one? Apple was never #1 in cell phone sales, so they couldn't have taken it over from them.

Never said Samsung didn't make great devices, I have own one for 5 years...but they were not in his latest list of 3 options now, were they.

But they are clearly not pushing Android like Nokia is pushing WP8...that is a fact and clearly visible by them openly creating an escape plan. http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-...ys-report/

What in my statement could not be found in any of the 100 product reviews on the internet?

Quote:

Come on man, unless you're being paid to be a PR guy, leave this type of garbage out of your bias opinion lol.

If your issue was JUST with the last paragraph...understandable...I'll give you that.

The last paragraph was just to state a contradiction to any one that says "there are no apps on Windows Phone 8".

Kolto 03-05-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtieson (Post 58003060)
I am not a shill, I am a share holder...there is a difference. I even clearly said I was partial to my choice. So...:shutup: with the personal attacks.

Fine...say Samsung is all in on Android...then why are they making their own OS or going in with Intel??? Can you explain that one? Apple was never #1 in cell phone sales, so they couldn't have taken it over from them.

Never said Samsung didn't make great devices, I have own one for 5 years...but they were not in his latest list of 3 options now, were they.

But they are clearly not pushing Android like Nokia is pushing WP8...that is a fact and clearly visible by them openly creating an escape plan. http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-...ys-report/

What in my statement could not be found in any of the 100 product reviews on the internet?

If your issue was JUST with the last paragraph...understandable...I'll give you that.

The last paragraph was just to state a contradiction to any one that says "there are no apps on Windows Phone 8".

my issue was your last paragraph
i didn't say anything else about your other points.

Btw, i didn't mention Android anywhere in my Samsung comment. You just assumed I was talking android.
Guess their marketing is pretty good if you associate Android with Samsung.
And if your flagship device is running android, i'd say you're pushing android pretty hard
or is the Galaxy S3/Note 2 not android devices?
Is the Galaxy S4 not an android device?

And Apple was #1 in global mobile smartphone market for the beginning of 2012, until Samsung dethroned them.
http://www.droiddog.com/android-b...3rd-place/

Nokia holds its market not for smartphones, but for overall cellphones including a bunch of dumbphones still running around the world lol.

oh and the USA loves apple
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tec...s/1882945/
heck even LG is ahead of Nokia in the USA

Foreveryours 03-05-2013 11:37 AM

No love for the Xperia?

Curtieson 03-05-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foreveryours (Post 58009464)
No love for the Xperia?

i don't think even Sony is showing love for the Xperia, haha.

Not sure, but I think Frogstar had an Xperia Play at some point (the one with the controller built in.)

fyu 03-05-2013 11:48 AM

personally, I would only suggest the samsung galaxy or note line. just a massive amount of roms avaliable.

I got an optimus g and there are like 2, and they are super buggy.

but if you are switching phones every 1.5 years, then it's not really a big deal.

redmaxx 03-05-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Why can't the argument be the same for Samsung pushing the Smartphone game by claiming #1 from Apple? Or the constant push of new hardware/innovation from them?
Why aren't they driven to give you the best experience possible and throw money around?

Or Google with its investment in Android and the whole google experience?

I don't want to get in the middle of your holy war, but Google doesn't count. They admitted that Motorola is pushing crappy phones.

On-topic, what about the new HTC One?

FAL 03-07-2013 11:33 PM

Quote:

Are you getting any other discounfs(aka FAN)?The prices on the S3 and other phone "special" pricing are the normal sale prices of the phones. Anyways, the S3 should be free after the release of the S4 next week. So wait just a little longer.

S III New Contract with Verizon Wireless $9.99 with Free Shipping and Free $50 Dell GC 02-20-2013 -

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtieson (Post 58002504)
I have a Nokia Lumia 920 and am really happy with the experience. ...

Are you promoting Win. Phone 8 because you want more people using WP8 so it forces more developers to build apps for the WP8?

Foreveryours 03-08-2013 06:57 AM

Yeah. Got shot down on trying to have them give me statement credit of $150/line. Would have been sweet because BB has the S3s for $100 this week and I signed up for the $50 upgrade GC deal.

Kolto 03-08-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAL (Post 58076636)
Are you getting any other discounfs(aka FAN)?The prices on the S3 and other phone "special" pricing are the normal sale prices of the phones. Anyways, the S3 should be free after the release of the S4 next week. So wait just a little longer.

S III New Contract with Verizon Wireless $9.99 with Free Shipping and Free $50 Dell GC 02-20-2013 -

Are you promoting Win. Phone 8 because you want more people using WP8 so it forces more developers to build apps for the WP8?

S4 isn't launching next week, it'll be revealed.
i don't see US Carriers getting it till summer

Curtieson 03-08-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAL (Post 58076636)

Partially...of course. The more adopters the better the platform. But I do believe that Nokia has the best value for hardware on the market currently and it so happens that they only make WP8 hardware.

How much would an S3 with 32GB and wireless charging cost you?

Curtieson 03-08-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foreveryours (Post 58080304)
Yeah. Got shot down on trying to have them give me statement credit of $150/line. Would have been sweet because BB has the S3s for $100 this week and I signed up for the $50 upgrade GC deal.

The suggestion of getting them to apply the discount to your bill was in PLACE of the upgrade, not along side it. The article was talking about instead of getting an S3 for $100 when you sign a contract, you could sign a new 2 year contract, get a $250 credit on your bill and continue using your current phone or buy something else off contract for cheap.

FAL 03-08-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtieson (Post 58085462)
Partially...of course. The more adopters the better the platform. But I do believe that Nokia has the best value for hardware on the market currently and it so happens that they only make WP8 hardware.

How much would an S3 with 32GB and wireless charging cost you?

Yeah the 920 is great,but your have cross your fingers to see if ms will screw you with a wp9 reboot.
A 32gb s3 doesn't cost much as a 32/64gb sd card , nfc is more handy than nokia 920 "portless" charging. True wireless 2 band charging is still future tech.

Curtieson 03-08-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAL (Post 58090948)
Yeah the 920 is great,but your have cross your fingers to see if ms will screw you with a wp9 reboot.
A 32gb s3 doesn't cost much as a 32/64gb sd card , nfc is more handy than nokia 920 "portless" charging. True wireless 2 band charging is still future tech.

Everything worth its salt has NFC now days...that is like saying that LTE is handy. Yes, it is handy, and everything has it so it isn't a factor.

What is 2 band charging? the 'Portless' charging in and of itself is nothing more than gimick, but when it starts to get implemented into airports and coffee shops like it IS, that is when it gets exciting and useful. I wouldn't be surprised if the S4 had it.

The S3 can use an SD Card like internal storage...right? So a 16GB plus a 16GB card is like $110? Throw on the 'portless' charging back with charger at a STEAL for $50 on Amazon and you are at $160 for what is $50 in the 920.

It really is a great value. As long as you are comfortable with taking a gamble that a company that has been around for ~150 years isn't going to go out of business. But I bet you the old Lumia 900 has received more updates in the last 3 months than the S3.

FAL 03-08-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtieson (Post 58091848)
...What is 2 band charging? ...

2 Band Wireless Charging is using 2 RF signals to charge a device remotely. Currently, its undergoing testing at various college campus and requires alot of power to transmit energy over distance. The human health effect are yet unknown.

redmaxx 03-08-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtieson (Post 58091848)
Everything worth its salt has NFC now days...that is like saying that LTE is handy. Yes, it is handy, and everything has it so it isn't a factor.

What is 2 band charging? the 'Portless' charging in and of itself is nothing more than gimick, but when it starts to get implemented into airports and coffee shops like it IS, that is when it gets exciting and useful. I wouldn't be surprised if the S4 had it.

The S3 can use an SD Card like internal storage...right? So a 16GB plus a 16GB card is like $110? Throw on the 'portless' charging back with charger at a STEAL for $50 on Amazon and you are at $160 for what is $50 in the 920.

It really is a great value. As long as you are comfortable with taking a gamble that a company that has been around for ~150 years isn't going to go out of business. But I bet you the old Lumia 900 has received more updates in the last 3 months than the S3.

Seriously, what are you all using NFC for? I think McDonald's, CVS and Fry's Food (and only then the pharmacy) take NFC payments around here.

Kolto 03-08-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redmaxx (Post 58092406)
Seriously, what are you all using NFC for? I think McDonald's, CVS and Fry's Food (and only then the pharmacy) take NFC payments around here.

you realize you're talking to someone not about the tech, but about how its microsoft and nokia offering the tech?

because somehow a phone that's gotten many upgrades to fix various bugs is better than a phone that has hardly gotten any upgrades because there aren't any game breaking bugs

redmaxx 03-08-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IPT (Post 58096914)
you realize you're talking to someone not about the tech, but about how its microsoft and nokia offering the tech?

because somehow a phone that's gotten many upgrades to fix various bugs is better than a phone that has hardly gotten any upgrades because there aren't any game breaking bugs

I wouldn't be so fast with that. Android is fundamentally broken in the Bluetooth department. Not just the Galaxy line, but AOSP.

slapshot136 03-09-2013 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redmaxx (Post 58097664)
I wouldn't be so fast with that. Android is fundamentally broken in the Bluetooth department. Not just the Galaxy line, but AOSP.

iphone bluetooth is worse though..

redmaxx 03-09-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slapshot136 (Post 58104290)
iphone bluetooth is worse though..

Nope. Works every time. Seriously, check the number of forums and people that can't get Android to play back correctly with their car, their stereo headsets, etc.

slapshot136 03-09-2013 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redmaxx (Post 58104670)
Nope. Works every time. Seriously, check the number of forums and people that can't get Android to play back correctly with their car, their stereo headsets, etc.

I haven't had issues - but I can't get any iphone bluetooth to send/receive files with others stuff

redmaxx 03-09-2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slapshot136 (Post 58104728)
I haven't had issues - but I can't get any iphone bluetooth to send/receive files with others stuff

Isn't that a design limitation though? I didn't think Apple allowed random files to be sent over bluetooth.

Foreveryours 03-09-2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redmaxx (Post 58104778)
Isn't that a design limitation though? I didn't think Apple allowed random files to be sent over bluetooth.

They're not random to him :lol:

redmaxx 03-09-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foreveryours (Post 58104810)
They're not random to him :lol:

:roll:

slapshot136 03-09-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redmaxx (Post 58104778)

which is why the iphone BT is crippled (although not random files, not even stuff like pictures taken with the phone)

redmaxx 03-09-2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slapshot136 (Post 58105140)
which is why the iphone BT is crippled (although not random files, not even stuff like pictures taken with the phone)

Crippled != broken. iPhone's Bluetooth does everything I need it to, whereas Android doesn't do everything it says it does. I'm fine with people liking Android for doing things the iPhone doesn't. However, there's no reason to slam the iPhone's capability every time someone points out that Android isn't this wonderful, magical, all-capable OS that the fanboys make it out to be.

For photo sharing, it looks like there's apps that can handle that.

slapshot136 03-09-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redmaxx (Post 58105464)
For photo sharing, it looks like there's apps that can handle that.

outside of a FTP client/server, what apps can share pictures locally?

redmaxx 03-09-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slapshot136 (Post 58105576)
outside of a FTP client/server, what apps can share pictures locally?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/b...09583?mt=8

Kolto 03-09-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redmaxx (Post 58097664)

I dunno if they're game breaking. My s3 syncs fine with my alpine unit, but of course my iPod has to be hardwired to the unit cause of iOS crippling

redmaxx 03-09-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IPT (Post 58107016)
I dunno if they're game breaking. My s3 syncs fine with my alpine unit, but of course my iPod has to be hardwired to the unit cause of iOS crippling

I've got a 2012 Chrysler 300 with Bluetooth handsfree and car stereo. Never once did Android Gingerbread, ICS, or either iteration of Jelly Bean connect automatically and play back whatever I was listening to last. iOS works perfectly fine. I hop in my car and moments after starting it I've got whatever music or podcast I was last listening to pumping through my speakers. Calls pause and resume the music, Android would swap the music back over to the phone while putting call audio through the car. That's just stupid and clearly an Android bug. The list goes on and on and can be found all over various phone and Android websites, including Google's own.

Curtieson 03-09-2013 04:27 PM

Before my Blutooth would not play video sound through it...you'd be playing music and want to play a song on YouTube and it would put it through the phone speaker...stupid. Its fixed now though.

Will Siri read texts when it is connected to your car speakers? The wife didn't know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by redmaxx (Post 58092406)

currently...nothing. Whole foods and Meijer have all Fast Tap pay also. At&T has that shiz locked down because they don't know how to get their beak wet yet and the platform is small enough that they can get away with it.

I'd love to be able to use my phone to pay for everything. It is just as secure as having a card in my pocket.

the part that scars me currently is that Android, any tag you swipe will just do the actions...and people could information farm with that...but on the flip side MS doesn't allow ANYTHING to happen automatically, even tags that I write. That is just annoying. (it brings up the toggles to turn off WiFi but won't turn it off automatically.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IPT (Post 58096914)

here we go again ;)

I have never bought a phone from Microsoft...do you own a Microsoft motherboard?

Nokia is a great company because they release a top tier Maps app and update it by monthly because...just because they want to make it better. They are constantly releasing something...

D1337 03-09-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IPT (Post 58085418)
S4 isn't launching next week, it'll be revealed.
i don't see US Carriers getting it till summer

its speculated to be revealed next week, and its also speculated to be launched a month after the revealing. Nothing has been confirmed yet. Though people were able to come to an announcement time months before samsung said a word, so id go with it coming out in roughly a month.

Zodiac 03-09-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D1337 (Post 58111494)
its speculated to be revealed next week, and its also speculated to be launched a month after the revealing. Nothing has been confirmed yet. Though people were able to come to an announcement time months before samsung said a word, so id go with it coming out in roughly a month.

It has been the same way for the last Galaxy series releases. The international version always comes out a few months before the dumbed down carrier specific US versions.

D1337 03-09-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodiac (Post 58113594)
It has been the same way for the last Galaxy series releases. The international version always comes out a few months before the dumbed down carrier specific US versions.

Yes it has in the past. They have also always done international press releases first/only in the past, and then released internationally a month later. One of the reasons why the US got the s3 last was due to the LTE mess, and having to use a different CPU with it onboard.

This time they are doing the press event in new york and then afterwords internationally. This time they have LTE built in for exynos. They want apples market share, but they know their marketing cant compete with apples branding, so wait until the 5s is announced?

Im just saying, a very good amount of rumors that were released about the s4 have been true, and with the change up of press releases and LTE now onboard, they very well could release US first or even possibly a worldwide launch, but thats doubtful.

We will see what they say next week!

Kolto 03-09-2013 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D1337 (Post 58113990)
Yes it has in the past. They have also always done international press releases first/only in the past, and then released internationally a month later. One of the reasons why the US got the s3 last was due to the LTE mess, and having to use a different CPU with it onboard.

This time they are doing the press event in new york and then afterwords internationally. This time they have LTE built in for exynos. They want apples market share, but they know their marketing cant compete with apples branding, so wait until the 5s is announced?

Im just saying, a very good amount of rumors that were released about the s4 have been true, and with the change up of press releases and LTE now onboard, they very well could release US first or even possibly a worldwide launch, but thats doubtful.

We will see what they say next week!

USA LTE is still a mess, with all the different Bands that our LTE Markets run on still

redmaxx 03-10-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtieson (Post 58111276)
Will Siri read texts when it is connected to your car speakers? The wife didn't know.

I don't use Siri too often, but Siri is non-functional when connected to my car stereo. Chrysler could probably update it and support Siri, but auto manufacturers are notoriously horrible about updates after selling the car.

golakers 03-10-2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Dont get S3. Not that its not a good phone, rather S4 is coming out pretty soon. Not sure when though.

Curtieson 03-12-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redmaxx (Post 58127444)
I don't use Siri too often, but Siri is non-functional when connected to my car stereo. Chrysler could probably update it and support Siri, but auto manufacturers are notoriously horrible about updates after selling the car.

Why does anything need to be done by all the car companies?

If I am connected to ANYthing Bluetooth or have a headset plugged in, my phone will pause the music and read any incoming texts or facebook messages and prompt me to reply with my voice.

C'mon Siri! Get on that...

It was failed in that the volume of the text was at a '10' level when the music was at a '60' level...I haven't tried it on the newest OS though to see if that's fixed.

redmaxx 03-12-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtieson (Post 58168296)
Why does anything need to be done by all the car companies?

If I am connected to ANYthing Bluetooth or have a headset plugged in, my phone will pause the music and read any incoming texts or facebook messages and prompt me to reply with my voice.

C'mon Siri! Get on that...

It was failed in that the volume of the text was at a '10' level when the music was at a '60' level...I haven't tried it on the newest OS though to see if that's fixed.

It's not an issue with Siri, it's an issue with the Bluetooth profile support the car is offering/advertising.

Curtieson 03-12-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redmaxx (Post 58168432)
It's not an issue with Siri, it's an issue with the Bluetooth profile support the car is offering/advertising.

Why? What does that matter? How does the car have a clue what is attached or what is happening? The phone is smart enough to realize "I am playing music......I get a call...I take the call. I get a text, I read the text"

A $15 bluetooth headset or $5 mic/stereo headset can do it...the car doesn't change that. Just because the car can skip tracks doesn't mean the phone stops working completely.

redmaxx 03-12-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtieson (Post 58168698)
Why? What does that matter? How does the car have a clue what is attached or what is happening? The phone is smart enough to realize "I am playing music......I get a call...I take the call. I get a text, I read the text"

A $15 bluetooth headset or $5 mic/stereo headset can do it...the car doesn't change that. Just because the car can skip tracks doesn't mean the phone stops working completely.

It's not that simple. There's one profile for stereo A2DP, one profile for handsfree (and I thought there was a third that could apply but I forget...) and the car and phone have to agree on which profile to use for which application. I'm listening to music, so the A2DP profile takes precedence. When the Siri button is hit, the iPhone says, "hey, this car has handsfree, so I'm going to use that so I can get the car's microphone and noise cancelling". Except, the car doesn't agree, and cancels the request, going back to music. The car is correctly programmed to accept switches when calls come in, so it goes to handsfree for the call and then back to A2DP for music when the call is over.

The reason I know I can blame it on the car, is my coworker's Prius handles the switch seamlessly. Siri works perfectly through his car stereo with his car's microphone. My car just isn't handling this one case correctly. And it's crucial to getting Siri to work correctly, since the iPhone wants to be in handsfree mode for Siri but the car doesn't agree with the switch because it's not being told a call is incoming.

Curtieson 03-12-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redmaxx (Post 58169300)
It's not that simple. There's one profile for stereo A2DP, one profile for handsfree (and I thought there was a third that could apply but I forget...) and the car and phone have to agree on which profile to use for which application. I'm listening to music, so the A2DP profile takes precedence. When the Siri button is hit, the iPhone says, "hey, this car has handsfree, so I'm going to use that so I can get the car's microphone and noise cancelling". Except, the car doesn't agree, and cancels the request, going back to music. The car is correctly programmed to accept switches when calls come in, so it goes to handsfree for the call and then back to A2DP for music when the call is over.

The reason I know I can blame it on the car, is my coworker's Prius handles the switch seamlessly. Siri works perfectly through his car stereo with his car's microphone. My car just isn't handling this one case correctly. And it's crucial to getting Siri to work correctly, since the iPhone wants to be in handsfree mode for Siri but the car doesn't agree with the switch because it's not being told a call is incoming.

OK, I get what you are saying.

But why would it ever do that? So what is the benefit to that profile? Why have that at all? Why can't the car just act like the $15 headset that works perfectly and actually performs hands free texting? I'd guess the only benefit would be able to view the songs as data? But I can bring up whatever song I want with my voice anyway so all that is doing is making things dangerous.

It sounds like the current app situation...companies pass on an HTML5 website that would work on EVERY phone to make a special app that only works on <40% of the phones and gain nothing from it.

redmaxx 03-12-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtieson (Post 58169814)
OK, I get what you are saying.

But why would it ever do that? So what is the benefit to that profile? Why have that at all? Why can't the car just act like the $15 headset that works perfectly and actually performs hands free texting? I'd guess the only benefit would be able to view the songs as data? But I can bring up whatever song I want with my voice anyway so all that is doing is making things dangerous.

It sounds like the current app situation...companies pass on an HTML5 website that would work on EVERY phone to make a special app that only works on <40% of the phones and gain nothing from it.

You need the A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile) to get high quality, stereo audio from the phone to the other end. You need the handsfree profile to get mono audio with mic linked up. It's just that the Chrysler (or Delphi or whoever built the radio) engineers goofed when they coded the radio's logic for switching between the profiles. The $15 headset does it better, but it still does it.