Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Deal Talk (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Jack Link's Beef Jerky (http://slickdeals.net/f/5892220-jack-link-s-beef-jerky)

Ribtits 03-06-2013 12:56 PM

Jack Link's Beef Jerky

2 Attachment(s)
Amazon has a $4.00 off coupon for Jack Link's Beef Jerky 4 pack.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/coupon/j...TQPK4FZZDQ

Clip the coupon and add the item to cart. Save 5% with SS.

Total came out to be $11.12 for 4 pack of Teriyaki Beef Steak Nuggets. Price vary with flavors.

Foreveryours 03-06-2013 12:58 PM

$11 for a pound of jerky doesn't seem very slick, TD.

Ribtits 03-06-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foreveryours (Post 58037846)

hmm thought it would be based on how well this post did

http://slickdeals.net/f/5632296-Jack-Link-s-Beef-Jerky?

oh well...:(

dayv 03-06-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foreveryours (Post 58037846)

normal price is .75 to a dollar per ounce. but this isn't a pound for 11 bucks either.

tmly 03-06-2013 02:17 PM

$11 for a pound of jerky is a great deal. Unfortunately, this is for 13 oz or $13.60/lb, which isn't too bad.

mrredskin 03-06-2013 02:19 PM

yeah this is the same price as big lots

Snowclimb 03-06-2013 02:22 PM

[QUOTE=mrredskin;58040100]yeah this is the same price as big lots[/QUOTE

It is a slick deal to avoid Big Lots. I've only been once and doubt that I will ever go again

quik2 03-06-2013 02:24 PM

[QUOTE=Snowclimb;58040178]
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrredskin (Post 58040100)
yeah this is the same price as big lots[/QUOTE

It is a slick deal to avoid Big Lots. I've only been once and doubt that I will ever go again

This is good price as Walmart sells them for about $3.7x per bag. Too bad they don't have Carne Seca Jalapeno favor, these things are so addicting. I usually buy 3-4 bags each time.

empiretc 03-06-2013 02:38 PM

in 4 - 1

mlongo024 03-06-2013 02:41 PM

In for 1 thanks

nutsaboutgolf 03-06-2013 02:48 PM

It is a good deal; if you have a big lots or a regional discounter in your area you may be able to beat this price. My walmart sells the smaller bags for $3.XX but this 3.25oz bag is $5-something.

Doremon 03-06-2013 02:56 PM

thanks...don't really want to drive to wal-mart or biglots and wait in line to buy just beef jerky.

Halewafa 03-06-2013 03:00 PM

Thanks OP. Got a snowboard trip coming up next week and these are perfect to snack on so you don't have to take a break from the slopes

TDMVP73 03-06-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doremon (Post 58041036)
thanks...don't really want to drive to wal-mart or biglots and wait in line to buy just beef jerky.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nutsaboutgolf (Post 58040866)
It is a good deal; if you have a big lots or a regional discounter in your area you may be able to beat this price. My walmart sells the smaller bags for $3.XX but this 3.25oz bag is $5-something.

Depending on what flavor you like, Sam's Club sells 1 Lb Bags of both Original and Teriyaki for $12.88
Teriyaki 1 Lb. [samsclub.com]
Original 1 Lb. [samsclub.com]

Nate650 03-06-2013 03:01 PM

Sample ingredient list [jacklinks.com] ("Original Hickory Smokehouse Jerky"):
BEEF, WATER, SUGAR, VINEGAR, LESS THAN 2% SALT, BROWN SUGAR, MALTODEXTRIN, FLAVORINGS, MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE, SPICES, SMOKE FLAVOR, SODIUM ERYTHORBATE, CITRIC ACID, SODIUM NITRITE.

Stunner2xx 03-06-2013 03:08 PM

monosodium glutamate = MSG. no wonder it tastes good

AMiller 03-06-2013 03:27 PM

Bad price for a bad product.

Jerky is very easy to make, much healthier, and cheaper.

skhomer 03-06-2013 03:31 PM

is this a reputable merchant

Rocko99 03-06-2013 03:34 PM

This stuff is nasty. A hair above slim jims.

dealmaster00 03-06-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMiller (Post 58041688)
Bad price for a bad product.

Jerky is very easy to make, much healthier, and cheaper.

Do you have directions you can share to make better beef jerky?

Foreveryours 03-06-2013 04:06 PM

I had 4 other items in S&S, came out to $9.65, rep'd :thumbup:

TR99 03-06-2013 04:12 PM

Watching carbs so I got the plain beef jerky for the same price. Tried to repeat the order but coupon didn't apply to 2nd order.

GIRay 03-06-2013 04:20 PM

I have had stomachache after I ate the whole bag. Still a good deal tho.

jlpicardq 03-06-2013 04:22 PM

Mmmmmmmm.... the sweet & spicy is awesome. Perfect timing for my roadtrip next week! Thanks!

mard0g 03-06-2013 04:30 PM

their pork jerky is their best. Jack links beef tends to be tough.

DealaMeal 03-06-2013 04:41 PM

your way way better off buying a dehydrator and a jerky gun. I make 4-6 pounds at a time for under $30

solarisV 03-06-2013 04:45 PM

Kirkland Signature Premium Beef Steak > Jack Links. I recently tried the Costco brand beef jerky and now I can't stand Jack Links jerky. They use thick tender cuts of meat that are moist and not fatty or stringy. Jack Links Jerky tend to be a bit on the dry side. At the everyday price of about $10 for 12oz it's only slightly more expensive for a much much better product. It just goes to show how much people are being ripped off by Jack Links because their retail price is ridiculous.

Dealseeker16 03-06-2013 04:46 PM

Walmart beef jerky is actually really good

talmania 03-06-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dealmaster00 (Post 58042372)
Do you have directions you can share to make better beef jerky?

Look up Alton Brown's recipe and use your oven at the lowest setting. I used flank and it turned out awesome...I think I overdried it cause the hot jerky out of the oven was amazing but chilled was just ok.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dealseeker16 (Post 58043310)

Agreed...I really like their Sweet Hot Beef. Although with the recent repackaging it is different...not sure exactly but it is.

MarkG34 03-06-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DealaMeal (Post 58043200)
your way way better off buying a dehydrator and a jerky gun. I make 4-6 pounds at a time for under $30

Agreed watch for the better cuts like sirloin to go on special and it can even be less per pound. Plenty of recipes online too, I am constantly trying new recipes.

fido14dido 03-06-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

your way way better off buying a dehydrator and a jerky gun.

Thats what she said

dealmaster00 03-06-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talmania (Post 58043462)
Look up Alton Brown's recipe and use your oven at the lowest setting. I used flank and it turned out awesome...I think I overdried it cause the hot jerky out of the oven was amazing but chilled was just ok.

Agreed...I really like their Sweet Hot Beef. Although with the recent repackaging it is different...not sure exactly but it is.

cool thanks dude, i repped u. i'll give it a shot!

mantis3 03-06-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Can you elaborate on this? I'd love to make my own beef jerky but I always assumed it was a complicated, costly process.

veronicavaudeville 03-06-2013 05:27 PM

I like their turkey jerky! ...or whoever makes it. But I like making homemade venison jerky better.

tmb1085 03-06-2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talmania (Post 58043462)

Sweet. Hot. Beef.

Lol...

Follywood 03-06-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dealseeker16 (Post 58043310)

because it's actually horse meat :woot:

buontinh1 03-06-2013 07:13 PM

why sam's club is cheaper?

jsam4633 03-06-2013 07:51 PM

In 4 1.
Thanks & Repped.

Shingwedzi 03-06-2013 08:09 PM

Always an appreciated care package for the carnivorous kids away at college.
Thanks, OP.

DealaMeal 03-06-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mantis3 (Post 58044130)
Can you elaborate on this? I'd love to make my own beef jerky but I always assumed it was a complicated, costly process.

I eat pretty much Paleo style so I end up eating lots of protein. So jerky is naturally a nice quick protein source. Okay search for Nesco American Harvest FD-61WHC w the jerky gun it runs about $60. So now you load the jerky gun with ground beef 93%-97% that has been seasoned with whatever seasonings you want. I usually pick out alot of the fat that's left. Turn the dehydrator on to 160 degrees and let it run for 5 hours and your done. Or you could just get a jerky gun and use your oven. Just google jerky gun. I also do strips whenever they had london broil or top round for $2.99. I'll end up dehydrating 6 pounds which will give me a little over or under 2 lbs.

mantis3 03-06-2013 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DealaMeal (Post 58048792)
I eat pretty much Paleo style so I end up eating lots of protein. So jerky is naturally a nice quick protein source. Okay search for Nesco American Harvest FD-61WHC w the jerky gun it runs about $60. So now you load the jerky gun with ground beef 93%-97% that has been seasoned with whatever seasonings you want. I usually pick out alot of the fat that's left. Turn the dehydrator on to 160 degrees and let it run for 5 hours and your done. Or you could just get a jerky gun and use your oven. Just google jerky gun. I also do strips whenever they had london broil or top round for $2.99. I'll end up dehydrating 6 pounds which will give me a little over or under 2 lbs.

How is it, taste-wise, compared to higher quality beef jerky store brands? $30 for 2 lbs doesn't seem to be much (if at all) cheaper than store-bought, but I suppose it's got a lot less additives

thanks for the info though!

Dealseeker16 03-06-2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Follywood (Post 58045418)

Haha I actually read somewhere that jack links makes walmarts jerky...

Home made jerky is good and cheap but really time consuming. I hate cutting the thin slices...

Sparkyblue 03-06-2013 11:18 PM

A single pack at a regular grocery store like Safeway or Luckys goes for around $10. This is a great deal!

Thanks, purchased one!

damnthatsadeal 03-07-2013 02:54 AM

Too bad they don't offer Peppered with coupon. That's where it's at IMO.

krayziejoe 03-07-2013 05:38 AM

Can you use the coupon more than once? I want to order more than one, but want the coupon to apply to each lol

nutsaboutgolf 03-07-2013 06:03 AM

For those who think you can make a cheaper jerky at home; it's quite difficult. I own a slicer and a weston horizontal machine and after all the effort and minimal cost savings, have reverted back to store bought. What's already been pointed out, when all is said and done, you only yield about 33% of the original roast. So a 10lb roast will yield 3.33lbs of jerky.

With Jack Links, while they sell formed strips and nuggets, the majority of their products are whole strips. To make whole strips at home is going to be the most costly. Also eat/make a lot of it, you're going to be doing a lot of slicing and will need to sharpen your knife often or you can invest in a slicer...When you deal with large roast, there's going to be some unused trimmings.

If you're okay with the jerky gun and using hamburger which is a much different but less costly product you have another factor to worry about, pink slime. It's still around so if you don't want to eat that, then you need to do your homework and you may discover that the great deal on hamburger you've been buying does indeed contain pink slime.

Now there's the ingredients/spices, obvoiusly they're not free and if you buy in bulk you will save more. Most recipes calls for marinading the meat in Worchestershire or Soy sauce. One problem with that stuff is it's smell soaks into your hands, so you either live with the smell, buy gloves or you need to scrub your hands with a slice of lemon to get the smell out. Next with the odor, obviously your kitchen or possibly the whole house is going to smell like a meat locker. Then there's effort and small expense of clean up and the electricity used to create and clean whatever equipment you use.

leadfoot46 03-07-2013 06:37 AM

Temp out of stock..Went with the $17.92 with $4.00 coupon.. Thanks

tech_turtle 03-07-2013 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Follywood (Post 58045418)

Only if you buy it in the EU [wikipedia.org]. LOL!

Actually, horse is pretty good. Used to eat it all the time when I lived in Sardegna (Italy).

dubojr1 03-07-2013 08:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by krayziejoe (Post 58053110)
Can you use the coupon more than once? I want to order more than one, but want the coupon to apply to each lol

Looks like you can as long as it is 2 seperate orders. I was able to do it on the one of each of the nuggets and jerky. Shows "temp.OOS" but it worked. :bounce:

mrredskin 03-07-2013 08:54 AM

[QUOTE=Snowclimb;58040178]
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrredskin (Post 58040100)
yeah this is the same price as big lots[/QUOTE

ok chief. learn how to quote, too

werewolfalpha 03-07-2013 09:02 AM

This jerky is garbage. If you want great jerky, I got this link from another SD user and this jerky is AMAZING. I've made my own jerky and people love it. These guys make mine look bad, and the price is out of this world. And the selection variety is also outstanding. Beef, chicken, turkey, pork, ostrich, venison, buffalo, elk, pheasant, duck, rabbit, kangaroo, and wild boar. The beef, chicken and turkey all run around $13.00 lb. with the more outlandish varieties running around $18-20 lb. Not to mention their flavors will blow your mind. Cherry, chili-cheese, BBQ, pepper, cajun, hellfire, teriyaki, mesquite, hawaiian, honey mustard, etc, etc. Over 50 varieties of jerky. And it comes in 1/2 lb or even 1/4 lb packages so you can try everything to see what you like without spending a ton. AND they accept Pay-Pal! AND they ship to APO/FPO/DPO's so you can send this to service members overseas. Enjoy your new favorite jerky place!
I know I sound like a commercial, but I live in Tn and this store is in Michigan. I'm just a big fan of their jerky!
http://www.dublinstore.com/mm5/merchant.mvc

J03 03-07-2013 09:05 AM

I see the complaints about $13/lb of jerky yet if I buy decent ground beef from the store and make my own, it's going to come out to more than $13/lb.

HeathAU25 03-07-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nutsaboutgolf (Post 58053522)
For those who think you can make a cheaper jerky at home; it's quite difficult. I own a slicer and a weston horizontal machine and after all the effort and minimal cost savings, have reverted back to store bought. What's already been pointed out, when all is said and done, you only yield about 33% of the original roast. So a 10lb roast will yield 3.33lbs of jerky.

With Jack Links, while they sell formed strips and nuggets, the majority of their products are whole strips. To make whole strips at home is going to be the most costly. Also eat/make a lot of it, you're going to be doing a lot of slicing and will need to sharpen your knife often or you can invest in a slicer...When you deal with large roast, there's going to be some unused trimmings.

If you're okay with the jerky gun and using hamburger which is a much different but less costly product you have another factor to worry about, pink slime. It's still around so if you don't want to eat that, then you need to do your homework and you may discover that the great deal on hamburger you've been buying does indeed contain pink slime.

Now there's the ingredients/spices, obvoiusly they're not free and if you buy in bulk you will save more. Most recipes calls for marinading the meat in Worchestershire or Soy sauce. One problem with that stuff is it's smell soaks into your hands, so you either live with the smell, buy gloves or you need to scrub your hands with a slice of lemon to get the smell out. Next with the odor, obviously your kitchen or possibly the whole house is going to smell like a meat locker. Then there's effort and small expense of clean up and the electricity used to create and clean whatever equipment you use.

Also the cost of running an oven, dehydrator, or heat gun for hours. I agree with everything said above. Looking at cost, I don't think it's worth making your own. If you like it as a hobby and enjoy the whole process, then that's different.

tmly 03-07-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by werewolfalpha (Post 58057882)
This jerky is garbage. If you want great jerky, I got this link from another SD user and this jerky is AMAZING. I've made my own jerky and people love it. These guys make mine look bad, and the price is out of this world. And the selection variety is also outstanding. Beef, chicken, turkey, pork, ostrich, venison, buffalo, elk, pheasant, duck, rabbit, kangaroo, and wild boar. The beef, chicken and turkey all run around $13.00 lb. with the more outlandish varieties running around $18-20 lb. Not to mention their flavors will blow your mind. Cherry, chili-cheese, BBQ, pepper, cajun, hellfire, teriyaki, mesquite, hawaiian, honey mustard, etc, etc. Over 50 varieties of jerky. And it comes in 1/2 lb or even 1/4 lb packages so you can try everything to see what you like without spending a ton. AND they accept Pay-Pal! AND they ship to APO/FPO/DPO's so you can send this to service members overseas. Enjoy your new favorite jerky place!
I know I sound like a commercial, but I live in Tn and this store is in Michigan. I'm just a big fan of their jerky!
http://www.dublinstore.com/mm5/merchant.mvc

I'm interested in trying this, but don't want to pay $9 for shipping.

BStu185 03-07-2013 10:16 AM

Can't wait until this is OOS so I can say, "The Jerky Store called, and they're running out of YOU."

I'll show myself out.

werewolfalpha 03-07-2013 10:37 AM

I made my last order when they had a special of buy 100$ and get free shipping. You might try calling them and asking if they would eat the shipping if you bought a certain amount. It's a mom and pop kinda shop so there is a chance they might hook you up. I have a freezer I keep mine in, and I'm actually about to make another order. (Since I can't keep my kids out of it, lol) I order in the 1/4 lb bags and they keep really well frozen and make great snacks.