Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Deal Talk (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   UPDATE: Dell Outlet: XPS 14 Ultrabook (laptop) $565+tax (A/C) or $490+tax with $75 giftcard, i5-3317U, 4GB ram, 900p 14" LCD, 32GB SSDR mSATA Card & 500GB (5400rpm) (http://slickdeals.net/f/5900212-update-dell-outlet-xps-14-ultrabook-laptop-565-tax-a-c-or-490-tax-with-75-giftcard-i5-3317u-4gb-ram-900p-14-lcd-32gb-ssdr-msata-card-500gb-5400rpm)

shanarya 03-11-2013 01:46 AM

UPDATE: Dell Outlet: XPS 14 Ultrabook (laptop) $565+tax (A/C) or $490+tax with $75 giftcard, i5-3317U, 4GB ram, 900p 14" LCD, 32GB SSDR mSATA Card & 500GB (5400rpm)

9 Attachment(s)
DEAL IS STILL LIVE! AND BETTER THEN EVER IF YOU CAN SNAG ONE. TRY AROUND 3am PST if you really want one.

Link to where you can find it in the outlet [dell.com]

SEE WIKI FOR $75 off with Gift Card.

Look for the price range: $869.00 - $919.00 and you should find a few of the $915 models available.

Use Coupon: 1BFG7QB1B9K82N

Link to review [engadget.com]

Complete Specs:

Processor: Intel Core i5-3317U 3rd Generation Processor (3M Cache, up to 2.6 GHz)
Windows 8
Dell outlet XPS 14 Ultrabook
32GB SSDR mSATA Card
500 GB SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM)
4GB Single Channel DDR3 1600MHz
Intel HD Graphics 4000
Silver Anodized Aluminium
14.0 HD+ 900p True Life Infinity Display with Skype-Certified Hi-Def Webcam
8 Cell Primary Battery
Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 and Bluetooth 3.0
English Keyboard
US English Keyboard, 80 Key
125V Power Cord
65W AC Adapter
Badge
PWA Daughterboard
Windows 64 Bit

This laptop is nice, BUT has had some known issues with wifi (which may have been resolved) and has some complaints about the touchpad being too large (although it does function like a macbook touchpad with the central click).:wave:

wikipost 03-11-2013 01:46 AM

This post can and should be edited by users like you :)

Another review is this. Any review has to have benchmarking numbers. The notebookreview.com has no benchmarking numbers.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2102/5/

*Some of us have had success with Chat adjusting the $919 priced model to $915 under the premise that they are the exact same specs.

SAVE AN ADDITIONAL $75 OFF USING THIS GIFT CARD DEAL:
http://slickdeals.net/f/5916472-New-Dell-eGift-Cards-with-Promo-Bonus-400-75-Bonus

Check your battery wear by installing this BatteryBar free download [batterybarpro.com].

Ezio 03-11-2013 02:02 AM

Not a very good deal compared to the recent Lenovo Yoga or ASUS UX31A deals.

young3 03-11-2013 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ezio (Post 58135304)

Never owned a Yoga, but they don't even feel up to bar with this XPS ultrabook at all. I went and messed with one at my local best buy.

I have an XPS 14, and think the trackpad is large. I even have relatively long fingers. The wifi issues seem to be resolved with the driver update, I had it disconnect on me the first day and not reconnect then when I did a fresh windows 7 install (I hate tiles) and put the latest on the dell website the laptop worked flawlessly.

I got mine for 590 otd at bestbuy. This is a great price.

-Some things to note
-it is heavier (a little bit lighter than a macbook pro) but feels solid quality wise
-The magnesium (like the surface) collects oil on your palms
-Keys are probably the cheapest feature on the laptop but they even don't feel that cheap
-Everything (box and all) feels high quality
-Has a small SSD and regular 2.5mm 7mm HDD in raid, you can format both and use one as storage if you please that is what I did
-when charging the LED blinks orange, when done it turns off outside
-Gorilla glass looks and feels sharp
-When closed it looks stunning with its aluminum build

shanarya 03-11-2013 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ezio (Post 58135304)

Here's some reference points in this regard. I noted battery life difference, 90 day warranty on UX31A, and screen size differences. Also the XPS 14 Ultrabook has some features that are quite different: very good speakers on all XPS models including this one, long battery life, excellent build quality, widi, etc. Also if a person doesn't really care for touch screen that will be a factor.

Recent Lenovo Yoga Thread with nearly same specs

and a Review of the Lenovo Yoga [engadget.com]

Recent ASUS Zenbook UX31A Ultrabook (refurbished) Thread

and both of those deals are dead

NE0tekk 03-11-2013 02:27 AM

Oh wow, I was just about to push the buy now button until I realized it doesn't have integrated graphics. That's the main reason why the XPS line stood out from the rest... Guess it wasn't that great of a deal compared to some of the others after all.

At least it's customizable where you can install two hard drives on it. You get the best of both worlds that way

shanarya 03-11-2013 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NE0tekk (Post 58135434)
Oh wow, I was just about to push the buy now button until I realized it doesn't have integrated graphics. That's the main reason why the XPS line stood out from the rest... Guess it wasn't that great of a deal compared to some of the others after all.

The other deals posted above are all integrated. Are there any comparable ultrabook type deals with integrated grfx? I haven't seen it. Also there are many reasons why the XPS line "stands out" from the crowd of laptops: first and foremost the build quality is superb to say the least.

NE0tekk 03-11-2013 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shanarya (Post 58135456)
The other deals posted above are all integrated. Are there any comparable ultrabook type deals with integrated grfx? I haven't seen it. Also there are many reasons why the XPS line "stands out" from the crowd of laptops: first and foremost the build quality is superb to say the least.

Check the other laptops in the XPS line. MOST of them have dedicated graphics. I know the other laptops you guys are comparing this to have integrated graphics. I beg to differ. I still believe that dedicated graphics was the most attractive feature of the XPS laptops.

Take a look at the benchmarks between some of the dedicated graphics compared to the integrated ones. Some of the older xps laptops have a better dedicated graphics card than some of these with the integrated HD4000.

shanarya 03-11-2013 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NE0tekk (Post 58135526)
Check the other laptops in the XPS line. MOST of them have dedicated graphics. I know the other laptops you guys are comparing this to have integrated graphics. I beg to differ. I still believe that dedicated graphics was the most attractive feature of the XPS laptops.

Take a look at the benchmarks between some of the dedicated graphics compared to the integrated ones. Some of the older xps laptops have a better dedicated graphics card than some of these with the integrated HD4000.

I guess my experience is that integrated vs dedicated graphics is a practical choice everyone has to make whether its an xps laptop or not. Only the 15 and17 in XPS laptops are solely dedicated graphics, and it has been well researched that HD4000 integrated graphics are nearly up to par with the 525m 540m 555m that came with the 2nd gen i-core XPS models. That being said almost all of the 14in, 13in, 12in ultrabook type XPS models are developed with a base model including integrated graphics. The obvious reason being they most likely will not apply to an ultrabook (or typically small form factor) user.

Possibly you can supply links and comparisons and we can have a more fruitful discussion. I'm fairly certain most XPS 14 Ultrabook buyers are not gamers as the screen is not 1080p and the 14" screen is not considered "great" by most. (I will say that the XPS 14 Ultrabook screen is brighter then my XPS 15 L502X 1080p screen). If someone is using the XP 14 laptop for Graphic Design, Rendering, 3D modeling, then the screen won't be so nice also and I have done all of those things sufficiently with the (HD4000 comparable) GTX540M.

NE0tekk 03-11-2013 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shanarya (Post 58135602)
I guess my experience is that integrated vs dedicated graphics is a practical choice everyone has to make whether its an xps laptop or not. Only the 15 and17 in XPS laptops are solely dedicated graphics, and it has been well researched that HD4000 integrated graphics are nearly up to par with the 525m 540m 555m that came with the 2nd gen i-core XPS models. That being said almost all of the 14in, 13in, 12in ultrabook type XPS models are developed with a base model including integrated graphics. The obvious reason being they most likely will not apply to an ultrabook (or typically small form factor) user.

Possibly you can supply links and comparisons and we can have a more fruitful discussion. I'm fairly certain most XPS 14 Ultrabook buyers are not gamers as the screen is not 1080p and the 14" screen is not considered "great" by most. (I will say that the XPS 14 Ultrabook screen is brighter then my XPS 15 L502X 1080p screen). If someone is using the XP 14 laptop for Graphic Design, Rendering, 3D modeling, then the screen won't be so nice also and I have done all of those things sufficiently with the (HD4000 comparable) GTX540M.

Okay well here's a 540M benchmarked at 719
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net...540M&id=27

And here's the results of an Intel HD4000 benchmarked at 473
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net...+4000&id=2

Guess they're "about" the same

Bitech 03-11-2013 03:21 AM

Quote:

Really? Intel's HD graphics are close to Nvidia's last generation mid-range mobile graphics? Show me the research

Fling 03-11-2013 03:31 AM

Nice, no tax when shipping to APO address'! thx OP

megapper 03-11-2013 03:34 AM

great price for a really solid laptop

wonder if any coupons exist for the 15 xps line?

EDIT: actually saw one PB8G1?84T9NP42 on the dell outlet website, but applicable only for $1235 and below, and these are the non-i7 quad and GT630 gfx with no blue-ray, for $750. I think it is still great price though.

and sorry for the random non-related thread post.

isleepwithgoats 03-11-2013 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by young3 (Post 58135354)
Never owned a Yoga, but they don't even feel up to bar with this XPS ultrabook at all. I went and messed with one at my local best buy.

I have an XPS 14, and think the trackpad is large. I even have relatively long fingers. The wifi issues seem to be resolved with the driver update, I had it disconnect on me the first day and not reconnect then when I did a fresh windows 7 install (I hate tiles) and put the latest on the dell website the laptop worked flawlessly.

-Some things to note
-it is heavier (a little bit lighter than a macbook pro) but feels solid quality wise
-Keys are probably the cheapest feature on the laptop but they even don't feel that cheap
-Has a small SSD and regular 2.5mm 7mm HDD in raid, you can format both and use one as storage if you please that is what I did

XPS looks best when stashed somewhere in the basement or closet.

Even ACER looks better than any Dell.

Good luck going with this in public :lmao:

young3 03-11-2013 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isleepwithgoats (Post 58135964)
XPS looks best when stashed somewhere in the basement or closet.

Even ACER looks better than any Dell.

Good luck going with this in public :lmao:

The dell is a beautiful machine. I have loved my time with mine. :lmao: everything about it feels well made.

Bster13 03-11-2013 04:40 AM

I bought one last night. I admit, I would of bought the zenbook ux31a but I missed the deal. Now I'm happy I did.

My thoughts on the XPS 14:

-Though only single channel, the 14 has upgradable ram to 8 gig, zenbook ux31a stuck at 4.
-In performance tests it lagged at time due to 5400 rpm HD, but this is upgradable as well. Ux31a is proprietary adata ssd. Wasn't sure if that would cause upgrade trouble over time.
-screen res is 1600x900. I was happy with anything over my current 1440x900 though the zenbook rocked full 1080p. The TN display is fine for my non-gaming self, we'll see how much the glossy screen bugs me.
- the zenbook and XPS were equal on build quality for me in store. Both solid.
- warranty better on XPS.
- battery life outstanding on XPS. This is the sole reason it is 4.6lbs. Replace the hd for ssd, gets a little lighter. Battery on ux31a replaceable as well as the XPS 14, but over time I trust XPS will be more available.
- I don't travel much so I am ok with extra weight, but the XPS spreads its nice resolution over 14 inches so easier on the eyes.
- most refurb ultra books sub $600 have integrated graphics. Intel 4000 seems to be where it's at.
Both great laptops but the XPS battery life, upgrade ability, warranty, and shall we say parts longevity worked for my situation.

worthmining 03-11-2013 05:33 AM

In 4 1.

The warranty and speaker quality plus 8 cell battery made my decision. I hesitated earlier today on the zenbook when it first came back on buydig.com, its 30 day warranty is ultimately a concern for refurbished laptop, a gamble with buydig's cat return posture (i had first hand experience).

Anyhow, this is a station laptop not for portable so extra weight is tolerable but wife wants a good speaker takes priority. Only wish a touch screen for win8 but dell's return policy allows us to at least try this out first.

Bster13 03-11-2013 06:25 AM

Is anyone really using a laptop with touch screen features all that much? If I'm using touch screen, I'm (relatively) on the go with a tablet or smartphone. W/ a laptop I have that nice keyboard and I can type quickly with it and do all sorts of things with it. I'm not sure how I would benefit with a touchscreen laptop.

tommyg562000 03-11-2013 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bster13 (Post 58137096)
Is anyone really using a laptop with touch screen features all that much? If I'm using touch screen, I'm (relatively) on the go with a tablet or smartphone. W/ a laptop I have that nice keyboard and I can type quickly with it and do all sorts of things with it. I'm not sure how I would benefit with a touchscreen laptop.

I would take touching the screen over using the track pad anyday!

Stryder5 03-11-2013 07:07 AM

Ah wish this was for the XPS 13.

funkmasterta 03-11-2013 07:20 AM

no free s/h???

megapper 03-11-2013 07:28 AM

any updates on the wifi issues with these xps 14?

mine (bestbuy) consisttently gets half of download speed compared to both acer v5 and series 9...

never had to move far from wifi spot but worried that this might be an annoyance in the future...

funkmasterta 03-11-2013 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NE0tekk (Post 58135434)

At least it's customizable where you can install two hard drives on it. You get the best of both worlds that way

You are confusing INTEGRATED with DISCREET.

Here's an easy way to remember it:

Intel = Integrated

Dope A$$ graphics = Discreet

If you want DISCREET graphics, buy an Alienware M14x R2 for $2k. It's slightly thicker than this but weighs the same. Almost all ultra books will have only INTEGRATED graphics because that's the user base ultra books are targeted to.

Gamers don't really care about thin laptops, they want POWER!

menace33 03-11-2013 08:00 AM

Quote:

and it has been well researched that HD4000 integrated graphics are nearly up to par with the 525m 540m 555m that came with the 2nd gen i-core XPS models.

Yeah I'm not getting that. At Notebookcheck, I compared those 3 as well as the 550M to the HD4000 and they all benchmark higher than the HD4000 graphics easily. Perhaps I chose the wrong criteria and you can go there and clarify, but I'm not getting that research at all.

Bster13 03-11-2013 08:03 AM

Shipping is free but I was charged tax in CT.

funkmasterta 03-11-2013 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NE0tekk (Post 58135660)
Okay well here's a 540M benchmarked at 719
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net...540M&id=27

And here's the results of an Intel HD4000 benchmarked at 473
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net...+4000&id=2

Guess they're "about" the same

The old XPS 15 L502x model came with a GT 525M [anandtech.com]:

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net...525M&id=89

Whose score is 559, so IT REALLY IS ABOUT THE SAME.

Remember this is a thin, compact 14" model, compared to the thick, larger 15" L502x model.

Personally, I don't care much for thin, but I do care for light. I'd rather have the JBL 2+1 speakers from our old L502x & L702x models any day! It's been two years and no stupid Beats laptop or Klipsch laptop can beat the sound from those JBL L502/702x models!

warmwxrules 03-11-2013 08:07 AM

Single channel memory kills it for me..its why i didn't grab the Best Buy deal a while back. If you read the reviews on this, they mention that its slower because of that one stick of memory... Obviously if your just surfing the internet it probably isn't going to be noticed... everything else about the computer seems great (including the price)...

funkmasterta 03-11-2013 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bster13 (Post 58136122)
I bought one last night. I admit, I would of bought the zenbook ux31a but I missed the deal. Now I'm happy I did.

My thoughts on the XPS 14:

-Though only single channel, the 14 has upgradable ram to 8 gig, zenbook ux31a stuck at 4.
-In performance tests it lagged at time due to 5400 rpm HD, but this is upgradable as well. Ux31a is proprietary adata ssd. Wasn't sure if that would cause upgrade trouble over time.
-screen res is 1600x900. I was happy with anything over my current 1440x900 though the zenbook rocked full 1080p. The TN display is fine for my non-gaming self, we'll see how much the glossy screen bugs me.
- the zenbook and XPS were equal on build quality for me in store. Both solid.
- warranty better on XPS.
- battery life outstanding on XPS. This is the sole reason it is 4.6lbs. Replace the hd for ssd, gets a little lighter. Battery on ux31a replaceable as well as the XPS 14, but over time I trust XPS will be more available.
- I don't travel much so I am ok with extra weight, but the XPS spreads its nice resolution over 14 inches so easier on the eyes.
- most refurb ultra books sub $600 have integrated graphics. Intel 4000 seems to be where it's at.
Both great laptops but the XPS battery life, upgrade ability, warranty, and shall we say parts longevity worked for my situation.

You forgot these points:

- Thin & compact! Dell's new ultra books use a very small bezel (the "margin" around the display") so they can fit a 14" screen into the body of a 13" laptop.

- Gorilla Glass, the same type of glass used on high end Android phones to make them scratch resistant...the entire screen is one big sheet of Gorilla Glass.

- Spill proof keyboard, not sure how much water you can actually spill on it but it's better than keyboards that aren't spill proof

- Bottom base is NOT aluminum, but made of silicone; the same heat resistant material that kitchen doo-dads are made from...this is to keep the heat away from your lap.

- Dell returns and customer service is top notch. They seriously follow up on everything to make sure you're satisfied.

- I agree that Dell still uses cheap panels. I wish they would start offering IPS displays in their laptops.

Bster13 03-11-2013 08:25 AM

You're right about bezel, I didn't think about that, was more focused on weight in my search, though the XPS 14's footprint is still bigger than the Zenbook UX31A:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/12...eview-2012

THe XPS 13 however, seems to be a leader in footprint according to that article.

Gorilla glass is great I suppose, but I'm not real rough with my laptops. I would of preferred a matte screen, but nbd.

The bottom base silicone is certainly nice for heat, also keeps it from slipping off my lap, big plus there for me as a couch guy.

The returns and service are very good, plus the warranty is great on this refurb vs. the Zenbook, so I'm very happy there.

Both nice laptops so we shall see how that TN display looks. I'm not too picky, just wanted higher res.

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkmasterta (Post 58139174)
You forgot these points:

- Thin & compact! Dell's new ultra books use a very small bezel (the "margin" around the display") so they can fit a 14" screen into the body of a 13" laptop.

- Gorilla Glass, the same type of glass used on high end Android phones to make them scratch resistant...the entire screen is one big sheet of Gorilla Glass.

- Spill proof keyboard, not sure how much water you can actually spill on it but it's better than keyboards that aren't spill proof

- Bottom base is NOT aluminum, but made of silicone; the same heat resistant material that kitchen doo-dads are made from...this is to keep the heat away from your lap.

- Dell returns and customer service is top notch. They seriously follow up on everything to make sure you're satisfied.

- I agree that Dell still uses cheap panels. I wish they would start offering IPS displays in their laptops.

redhot 03-11-2013 08:35 AM

Coupon not working for me.

Bster13 03-11-2013 08:40 AM

Go here:
http://www.dell.com/Learn/us/en/2...pBc0FBQU5N

Scroll down on the left to the XPS 14 for $565 and use the coupon code underneath it.

whozee 03-11-2013 09:58 AM

Backlit keyboard?

shanarya 03-11-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whozee (Post 58141432)
Backlit keyboard?

Only backlit on this model and plenty bright.

sgrwtrprpl 03-11-2013 10:22 AM

in for 1

nguvihuong 03-11-2013 10:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I don't understand, how can an i5 beats an i7? 3DMark06 is tailored only for gamers so that don't count as an overall system performance unlike pcmark. Under the hood, apple uses superior mobo and chipset?

shanarya 03-11-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nguvihuong (Post 58142136)
I don't understand, how can an i5 beats an i7? 3DMark06 is tailored only for gamers so that don't count as an overall system performance unlike pcmark. Under the hood, apple uses superior mobo and chipset?

Thanks for pics. To further your Analysis: this isnt even the i7 model.

aleki 03-11-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nguvihuong (Post 58142136)

The PCMark benchmark has a strong bias torwards SSD's. It's an easy win for the MBA since it's going up against a hybrid drive system..
Also, there is no architectural difference between the ULV(Ultra Low Voltage) i5's and i7's; aside from the marginal clock headroom. Both are dual core, hyper threaded CPU's

nguvihuong 03-11-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleki (Post 58142624)
The PCMark benchmark has a strong bias torwards SSD's. It's an easy win for the MBA since it's going up against a hybrid drive system..
Also, there is no architectural difference between the ULV(Ultra Low Voltage) i5's and i7's; aside from the marginal clock headroom. Both are dual core, hyper threaded CPU's

I see and thanks for educating me. So based on your information, Dell is pretty stupid trying to price their laptop in the same ball park with MacBook Air. What I mean by that is, if I was a consumer out to shop for a new notebook, I would definitely toss the XPS14 into the garbage and wouldn't even consider it.

Now, if it's $500 less (even refurbished) then oh yea, good deal. So the bottom line is, apple is taunting the rest of the world, "bring me your best work and I will bring a mediocre work that will not only be better than your best work but will also make a fashion statement while laughing at your best work"

funkmasterta 03-11-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nguvihuong (Post 58142766)
I see and thanks for educating me. So based on your information, Dell is pretty stupid trying to price their laptop in the same ball park with MacBook Air. What I mean by that is, if I was a consumer out to shop for a new notebook, I would definitely toss the XPS14 into the garbage and wouldn't even consider it.

Now, if it's $500 less (even refurbished) then oh yea, good deal. So the bottom line is, apple is taunting the rest of the world, "bring me your best work and I will bring a mediocre work that will not only be better than your best work but will also make a fashion statement while laughing at your best work"

I would take this Dell over any Macbook, any day!

My sister in law has the Macbook Air 13" and benchmarks don't always translate to real world performance. Her laptop is so slow, she only uses it on airplane trips. For real work, she uses her ThinkPad.

She regrets buying Mac and will probably sell it any day now and get a Nexus 7 for 1/6 of the price.

nguvihuong 03-11-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkmasterta (Post 58143158)
I would take this Dell over any Macbook, any day!

My sister in law has the Macbook Air 13" and benchmarks don't always translate to real world performance. Her laptop is so slow, she only uses it on airplane trips. For real work, she uses her ThinkPad.

Well of course if it's $565. Now try retail price $1100 XPS. What do you take now?

aleki 03-11-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nguvihuong (Post 58142766)

Not really. Remember, it's just a synthetic benchmark; while a system would benefit from an SSD, it doesn't reflect the average usage scenario. Quite simply, Dell was packaging this laptop with storage capacity in mind(since a 512GB SSD is still crazy expensive for both Dell and the consumer, it didn't make any sense to include one). Alternatively, if you wish to improve the performance, you could always drop in a bigger mSATA SSD and install Windows on that partition. Provided it's a comparable drive, you'd edge out the MBA, and still have 500GB of storage from the HDD.

Personally, if I was patient, I'd wait for the refresh XPS14, or buy a refurb FHD XPS13 when it goes on sale. The new FHD XPS 13 is a little terror of a system; and with the right discounts, wouldn't surprise me to see it in the $600 range soon.

nguvihuong 03-11-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleki (Post 58143304)
Not really. Remember, it's just a synthetic benchmark; while a system would benefit from an SSD, it doesn't reflect the average usage scenario. Quite simply, Dell was packaging this laptop with storage capacity in mind(since a 512GB SSD is still crazy expensive for both Dell and the consumer, it didn't make any sense to include one). Alternatively, if you wish to improve the performance, you could always drop in a bigger mSATA SSD and install Windows on that partition. Provided it's a comparable drive, you'd edge out the MBA, and still have 500GB of storage from the HDD.

Personally, if I was patient, I'd wait for the refresh XPS14, or buy a refurb FHD XPS13 when it goes on sale. The new FHD XPS 13 is quite the beast; and with the right discounts, it wouldn't surprise me to see it in the $600 range soon.

Yes the xps line of laptops that are refurb present the best choice for slickdealers like me and you. They have American support and in-home warranty service very similar to SONY. Also, in terms of price/performance ratio is also better as well when compares to the rest of the lenovo, hp, acer crowd.

tennisplayer888 03-11-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nguvihuong (Post 58143186)
Well of course if it's $565. Now try retail price $1100 XPS. What do you take now?

I take the one with best resale value which is Apple any day of the yr.

nguvihuong 03-11-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisplayer888 (Post 58143776)

Amen. The reason why Apple is so successful is because of build quality and support. Think of a pyramid. Now look at the rest of the crowd. It's an inverted pyramid. Not very strong base (quality + support), but put in hefty overloaded with components as they go up their inverted pyramid to trick the consumers thinking they got a very powerful unit and beats apple any day of the week.

I said it before and I will say it again. Sony is the "apple" of PC. If you want a PC, Sony should be on top of your list. If you want a Macintosh, then you're in luck because Apple is the king.

Bster13 03-11-2013 11:35 AM

I hope that is the case when my iPhone 5 is ready to be sold. #androidisrockingthemarketplace

Quote:

chinq6t 03-11-2013 11:39 AM

Wish theres a Dell trade in discount on top of this deal.

scmr2 03-11-2013 11:43 AM

Does this laptop have USB 3.0?

Nevermind, I see the SS logo in the picture.

Bster13 03-11-2013 11:44 AM

No, it only has serial ports.

nguvihuong 03-11-2013 11:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bster13 (Post 58144006)
I hope that is the case when my iPhone 5 is ready to be sold. #androidisrockingthemarketplace

Oh really? android is rocking huh? When was iPhone 5 released? September 2012? That's 6 months ago? Hmm... Look at going price of completed auctions on eBay now.

What do you think of ANDROID ROCKING now???

sleepybubba 03-11-2013 11:48 AM

A typical rant of an Apple fanboy.:lmao:
Quote:

Originally Posted by nguvihuong (Post 58143988)
...If you want a Macintosh, then you're in luck because Apple is the king.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nguvihuong (Post 58144334)
Oh really? android is rocking huh? When was iPhone 5 released? September 2012? That's 6 months ago? Hmm... Look at going price of completed auctions on eBay now.

What do you think of ANDROID ROCKING now???

nguvihuong 03-11-2013 11:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepybubba (Post 58144378)
A typical rant of an Apple fanboy.:lmao:

Get it right. I'm a Sony fanboy. Not apple fanboy

Bster13 03-11-2013 11:51 AM

Apple iPhone resale was so good because it had a leg up on the market technology wise and that one device model was all there was to be had. Now Android is right there or better depending on who you ask technology wise. As for resale I don't think the iPhone 5 will have it's traditional resale because of android offerings having just as good cool/tech features and I don't think android phones are going to come up too much in resale because there are so many flavors of them.

nguvihuong 03-11-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bster13 (Post 58144416)
Apple iPhone resale was so good because it had a leg up on the market technology wise and that one device model was all there was to be had. Now Android is right there or better depending on who you ask technology wise. As for resale I don't think the iPhone 5 will have it's traditional resale because of android offerings having just as good cool/tech features and I don't think android phones are going to come up too much in resale because there are so many flavors of them.

Maybe a few more years. I wouldn't bet the farm on your statement.

Also the typical apple fanboy vs android fanboy is very much similar to right wingers vs left wingers. They are both idiots. Both apple fanboys and android fanboys are both very stupid. Same goes with Teabaggers and Liberals.

You got a brain? You got high IQ? Then judge it based on what your IQ and that gray matter is telling you. My brain is telling me right now, the wind is on the side of Apple. When the wind changes direction then I will jump ship. But since I do not like Apple OS, I will stick with the 2nd best which is Sony products for now. So there you have it. I'm a Sony fanboy for now.

Bster13 03-11-2013 12:01 PM

I lean more towards Android based off their movement as of recent in market share and I see limitations as an iPhone 5 user. Nothing wrong with the device, works very well, but either Apple innovates, starts pumping out different sized devices or lowers price (which would hurt my resale) or I think Android has them. *shrugs* We'll see.

myterribear 03-11-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stryder5 (Post 58137890)
Ah wish this was for the XPS 13.

They do have the XPS 13 on sale.

http://www.dell.com/Learn/us/en/2...pBc0FBQU5N

Was $1,005.00 Now $605.00
Certified Refurbished
Silver Anodized Aluminum
Intel® Core™ 3rd Generation i5-3517M Processor
8GB Memory
128GB Solid-State Hard Drive
Integrated Webcam
13.3-inch HD 720p Truelife WLED Display
Windows 8
Intel® HD Graphics 4000
Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235 and Bluetooth® 3.0
Limited quantities available.

Coupon code:
S6?KLLMDN2Q?LW

whozee 03-11-2013 12:03 PM

What kind of warranty is this, 1 or 3 years? Appears it's 1 year.

Is it typical "off-shore" support or is it "North American" based support (like Latitude business line)?

How easy or difficult is to upgrade WiFi card to Intel 6205?

Any restocking fee, if it's opened? Return is 21 days from invoice date, order support doesn't know if there is a restocking fee is box is opened?

Edit: with some answers above.

aleki 03-11-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

If you pay retail for both, I absolutely agree; but depending on how long you plan to keep either laptop, with Apple, you would have essentially rented a laptop for $xxx.xx, where you would still have the same laptop for the difference in cost :bounce:

nguvihuong 03-11-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bster13 (Post 58144654)
I lean more towards Android based off their movement as of recent in market share and I see limitations as an iPhone 5 user. Nothing wrong with the device, works very well, but either Apple innovates, starts pumping out different sized devices or lowers price (which would hurt my resale) or I think Android has them. *shrugs* We'll see.

Yes definitely Android has improved so much but you have to very picky when it comes to picking an Android phones. Most broke students or budget conscious consumers will just go with something cheap that packs a lot of punch and say okay this is it, good enough for me and this even better than other high end android phones. They usually do not taken into account build quality and company reputation in support. For me, when I'm making a purchase decision. Build quality + support stands on top of the list. Quad core, more ram, blah blah blah, is all garbage if build quality + support is crap.

Think of OCZ, very fast, super fast. Build quality, warranty, support compares to other companies???

sleepybubba 03-11-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myterribear (Post 58144686)
They do have the XPS 13 on sale...

Yeah, right. Try finding one. There were couple of them last night that flew off in a matter of 30 minutes.

Stryder5 03-11-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myterribear (Post 58144686)
They do have the XPS 13 on sale.

Thanks, but it didn't work :(

Coupon is for L332x priced at $1005 or above, but they only have the L322X models available =/

Chris03 03-11-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by young3 (Post 58135354)

-Some things to note

Agreed, I've got one of these for work & I've been really happy with it. I like the keyboard on it, but yeah, this thing can collect some oily hand prints! I'm trying to figure out a way to let me buy this from my consulting gig.

Several of the designers I work with have big nerd boners for it & really like the look of it as well & they're coming from Macs.

whozee 03-11-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris03 (Post 58145302)
Agreed, I've got one of these for work & I've been really happy with it. I like the keyboard on it, but yeah, this thing can collect some oily hand prints! I'm trying to figure out a way to let me buy this from my consulting gig.

Several of the designers I work with have big nerd boners for it & really like the look of it as well & they're coming from Macs.

Do you agree with the criticism about the keyboard? Does it feel cheap?

Keyboard & LCD are important to me, thanks.

Bster13 03-11-2013 12:38 PM

Good to hear good feedback. I never got to play with it prior to buying, and as a touchpoint user I am worried about getting used to the touchpad, but we'll see. I also hope hitting my palm on the large toughpad isn't too bad while typing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris03 (Post 58145302)

Chris03 03-11-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whozee (Post 58145522)
Do you agree with the criticism about the keyboard? Does it feel cheap?

Keyboard & LCD are important to me, thanks.

I love the screen on it.

I really like the keyboard. It's no mechanical, black cherry keyboard. I'm not that picky, but I love typing on it (as I'm doing now). I'm a really fast typer & love it. I also love that it is backlit.

All that being said, they got us monitors at work for them & now I'm not typing on it anymore. I'm using a Logitech K810, which is IDENTICAL in layout/feel with some keys just a lil different in width. I got it because of how much I liked the XPS keyboard. I'll post a pic in a moment.

Pics (you can barely make out that both backlights are on on the keyboards):
Logitech K810 vs XPS keyboard [googleusercontent.com]
Oily hand prints [googleusercontent.com]

Bster13 03-11-2013 12:42 PM

@Chris03 can you comment on the touchpad accidental clicks while typing? Good, bad, decent?

Chris03 03-11-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bster13 (Post 58145646)
Good to hear good feedback. I never got to play with it prior to buying, and as a touchpoint user I am worried about getting used to the touchpad, but we'll see. I also hope hitting my palm on the large toughpad isn't too bad while typing.

I occasionally fat palm it & it screws me up, but I had heard from another developer here that there is a way to disable the touchpad while typing. It's less of an issue now for me that I'm using separate monitors (notice all the cabling on the left sides of my pics above).

It's a solid machine for me & save for Win8 issues & our development environments*, I'm happy with it.

*(some apps don't like plugins on Win8 that work fine on Win7, not related to the hardware)

Chris03 03-11-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bster13 (Post 58145782)
@Chris03 can you comment on the touchpad accidental clicks while typing? Good, bad, decent?

I would say decent. I would occasionally do it, but not a lot.

I do like the multi-touch gestures for the touchpad though. Hate the slide in from left Win8 gesture though (it's like ALT+TAB, but only for Win8 apps).

whozee 03-11-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris03 (Post 58145700)
I love the screen on it.

I really like the keyboard. It's no mechanical, black cherry keyboard. I'm not that picky, but I love typing on it (as I'm doing now). I'm a really fast typer & love it. I also love that it is backlit.

All that being said, they got us monitors at work for them & now I'm not typing on it anymore. I'm using a Logitech K810, which is IDENTICAL in layout/feel with some keys just a lil different in width. I got it because of how much I liked the XPS keyboard. I'll post a pic in a moment.

Pics (you can barely make out that both backlights are on on the keyboards):
Logitech K810 vs XPS keyboard [googleusercontent.com]
Oily hand prints [googleusercontent.com]

Repped, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear. I'm not expecting a mechanical keyboard or "legendary IBM ThinkPad circa 1990's", as long as it's decent in terms of travel, accuracy, feedback, backlit is good, etc. It seems to meet all that basic criteria?

What sold me on this was backlit keyboard + 1600 x 900 for $565 with free shipping.
I just wish it had Bluetooth 4.0 and Windows 7 but those are minor gripes.

amax 03-11-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stryder5 (Post 58145134)

Coupon is for L332x priced at $1005 or above, but they only have the L322X models available =/

Exactly. Sloppy post with inapplicable coupon to most systems.

Bitech 03-11-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shanarya
Only backlit on this model and plenty bright.

I like how you blatantly ignore the arguments against your "well researched" and supposedly proven statement about the processing power of Intel's HD 4000 graphics matching 3 Nvidia graphics of 3 different levels, implying that those 3 Nvidia GPUs are about the same.
Quote:

Originally Posted by funkmasterta (Post 58138766)
You are confusing INTEGRATED with DISCREET.

Here's an easy way to remember it:

Intel = Integrated

Dope A$$ graphics = Discreet

If you want DISCREET graphics, buy an Alienware M14x R2 for $2k. It's slightly thicker than this but weighs the same. Almost all ultra books will have only INTEGRATED graphics because that's the user base ultra books are targeted to.

Gamers don't really care about thin laptops, they want POWER!

So gamers want the type of graphics that keeps them from getting embarrassed at social gatherings???

funkmasterta 03-11-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nguvihuong (Post 58143186)

That's easy, the XPS 14! It's still cheaper than the 13" MBA. The Macbooks need to come down by at least $500 before I would consider buying one. Everyone has aluminum ultra books now and in many ways, Windows 7 is so much more user friendly than OSX.

funkmasterta 03-11-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bitech (Post 58147868)

So gamers want the type of graphics that keeps them from getting embarrassed at social gatherings???

wtf are you talking about???

ken_e1407 03-11-2013 02:39 PM

I love this laptop overall, design, screen. 2 storage ( msata + 7mm hard drive ) but unfortunately i have to return them because the WiFi issue . Compare with my old Sony laptop 3 year olds, I can get up to 35 mbps from speedtest.net but my xps 14 can get up to 10 mps ( maximum) sometime is only 7 mps or less. Some people think WiFi issue only show up with SOME XPS 14 not all of them. Its wrong i try 3 differents xps 14 laptop already with different spec ( i7 i5 also intel 6235 and wireless killer N1202). What i got is same problem about wifi speed. There is noway dell can fix this issue because it has a problem with the antenna not the wireless card.
I am using Comcast blast package and asus RT-N56U
http://www.asus.com/Networking/RTN56U/
Also I hate the black silicon cover on top near keyboard , touch pad its collect all Oily hand prints. Why they dont make all aluminium like macbook pro :(

Sorry about my English

Bster13 03-11-2013 02:43 PM

Hrmmm, the issues with the wireless is troubling. Maybe @Chris03 can verify with his XPS 14? *gulp*

Quote:

Originally Posted by ken_e1407 (Post 58148504)
I love this laptop overall, design, screen. 2 storage ( msata + 7mm hard drive ) but unfortunately i have to return them because the WiFi issue . Compare with my old Sony laptop 3 year olds, I can get up to 35 mbps from speedtest.net but my xps 14 can get up to 10 mps ( maximum) sometime is only 7 mps or less. Some people think WiFi issue only show up with SOME XPS 14 not all of them. Its wrong i try 3 differents xps 14 laptop already with different spec ( i7 i5 also intel 6235 and wireless killer N1202). What i got is same problem about wifi speed. There is noway dell can fix this issue because it has a problem with the antenna not the wireless card.
Also I hate the black silicon cover on top near keyboard , touch pad its collect all Oily hand prints. Why they dont make all aluminium like macbook pro :(

Sorry about my English

ken_e1407 03-11-2013 03:09 PM

I used to call dell XPS technical support to fix the wifi issue but what they try to help me to get this done is change the wifi performance. Usually just like this forum.
Before you make purchase XPS 14 make sure you will feels comfortable with wifi speed lower than 10mps. ( that speed i got when i sit near 15 feets from my router) Usually 35mps from other laptop and Oily hand prints.
I like xps 14 model but i think i will wait for next generation coming out in this year 2013. because the ivy bridge came out almost 1 years.
I hope this information will help you guy make a decision.
http://en.community.dell.com/supp...66297.aspx
http://en.community.dell.com/owne...x#20182643

Bster13 03-11-2013 03:14 PM

Thanks Ken, I'll definitely be sure to test my download speed when I receive my XPS. Hopefully they have the kinks worked out. Fortunately Dell CS is pretty good in case I run into trouble.

worthmining 03-11-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ken_e1407 (Post 58148504)

Sorry about my English

when you returned it, did you get charged by a "restocking fee", dell rep told me now there will be a restocking fee that's included in the 21 day policy.

ken_e1407 03-11-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worthmining (Post 58149598)
when you returned it, did you get charged by a "restocking fee", dell rep told me now there will be a restocking fee that's included in the 21 day policy.

No restock fee. Make sure you let rep know there is issue with wifi or you can make it up a story with graphic card or noise or battery ran out quick.

tennisplayer888 03-11-2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleki (Post 58144852)
If you pay retail for both, I absolutely agree; but depending on how long you plan to keep either laptop, with Apple, you would have essentially rented a laptop for $xxx.xx, where you would still have the same laptop for the difference in cost :bounce:

I guess... I mean a MB Air bought now for $1K will resell for around $700-600 in 2-3yrs from now vs. this laptop bought for $600 will resell for $300 or so in 2-3 yrs.

The trade-off is similar.

shanarya 03-11-2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amax (Post 58146624)
Exactly. Sloppy post with inapplicable coupon to most systems.

Hmmm. Seems the coupon worked and it was only a one digit typo from dell. Do you actually look into what you type?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stryder5 (Post 58145134)

I believe it was for priced at exactly 1005 and people are still getting the deal. Dell messed up another way by pricing several of these at 1009. People chat and get the deal.

slickdude1234 03-11-2013 08:56 PM

does dell certified refurbish looks new as apple refurbished? Or does it have signs of use?

ucfknights90 03-12-2013 05:11 AM

Maybe or maybe not

I like this machine but after a little more research I am unsure now. If I compare this with the 14z at Costco, it seems the 14z might be a better deal at ~$35 more.

http://www.costco.com/Dell-Inspir...11685.html

Processor & Memory:
•Intel Core i5-3317U Processor at 1.7 GHz
•6GB DDR3 (2 DIMMs)
•Weight (Approximately): 4.12 lbs.
2 year warranty

What do you think?

worthmining 03-12-2013 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ucfknights90 (Post 58160596)
I like this machine but after a little more research I am unsure now. If I compare this with the 14z at Costco, it seems the 14z might be a better deal at ~$35 more.

Processor & Memory:
•6GB DDR3 (2 DIMMs)
2 year warranty

What do you think?

I used the dell latitude at work, the actual screen size is smaller. 15" is 13"+ and 13.3" is 12"+, wonder if the inspiron is the same. The form factor looks very similar on picture. 6GB ram is certainly a plus, mine has 4gb ram with i7 and it feels slow.

doosty 03-12-2013 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ucfknights90 (Post 58160596)

Processor & Memory:
•6GB DDR3 (2 DIMMs)
2 year warranty

What do you think?

after following ultrabooks and laptops on slickdeals for a LONG WHILE....first comment is gonna be 720p kills it. lol

i pulled trigger on the xps 14 yesterday but now everyone talking about the wifi issues is worrying me.

Bster13 03-12-2013 06:12 AM

Agreed, screen res isn't there for the Z. But, it is lighter but that's only because it has only 2/3rds the battery size. :)

I do hope my wifi is ok, we'll see tomorrow!

Quote:

Originally Posted by doosty (Post 58161362)
after following ultrabooks and laptops on slickdeals for a LONG WHILE....first comment is gonna be 720p kills it. lol

i pulled trigger on the xps 14 yesterday but now everyone talking about the wifi issues is worrying me.

HanSoo417 03-12-2013 08:00 AM

Just ordered mine last night.

If I want to upgrade to an SSD, Do I just need any 2.5"? does it matter if its 7mm or 9mm?

And for a RAM upgrade, what kind does it take?

Bster13 03-12-2013 08:29 AM

7mm SSD and DDR3-1333 PC10600 single 8gig SODIMM RAM>

Bster13 03-12-2013 10:02 AM

Got my hands on one....

OK, so turns out a friend of mine has one and he brought it to work today:

http://i50.tinypic.com/2ltilw4.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/28wjzad.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/2qsoqrl.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/wretsp.jpg

This is compared to my Dell E6410 with 9-cell extended battery.

First impressions:

- Yep, not light, but not too heavy. It feels heavier because it is so dense for it's size...but that's ok, massive battery (my friend confirms the battery is awesome)
- Screen is better than my 1440x900 E6410 screen. Yes it's a bit glossy when standing from afar, but when I was using it, didn't notice anything special. Nice and sharp, and man can this thing be set to BRIGHT!
- Keyboard is typical Chiclet keyboard, it works fine.
- Touchpad is nice. Yes it has some texture, but geeshum people, it's absolutely fine, and nice and large for gestures. I didn't notice myself palm clicking in the 5min of typing I did.
- Weights as quoted in reviews are legit. (put it on scale in mailroom)
- Fit & Finish is on par with any macbook I've seen at work or my Fiancee's.

Provided my refurb is in good condition, this will be very good for my needs. (sitting on couch and occasional travel).

sleepybubba 03-12-2013 10:07 AM

what bothers me is that it's still available while really slick Dell Outlet deals are gone after third post on SD

Bster13 03-12-2013 10:08 AM

All depends on what the collect SD community is looking for in specs. For me it hit the nail on the head.

Bster13 03-12-2013 10:23 AM

Oh, my friend also said, while his house has good Wifi, he hasn't noticed any trouble with the wireless on this particular laptop. We'll see.

megapper 03-12-2013 10:35 AM

i can confirm that the wifi speed is half of what you would expect.

Sitting on my that is about two arms length from the router (airport express) with speedtest.net running, and the xps 14 consistently gets half download speed as my series 9 15". consistently!

it went back of course. and there is a whole thread at notebookforum to back this up.

apparently, this problem is also associated with the bigger 15" xps.

siftekhar 03-12-2013 10:36 AM

I wish the RAM was upgradeable to 16g :S

Bster13 03-12-2013 10:45 AM

I plan to plug in a USB stick into my wireless router and host a few large files. Then I will test throughput from my E6410 and my new XPS 14. This way there won't be any other variables out there on the interwebs when doing speed tests. WE'll see (*fingers crossed* :p)

ken_e1407 03-12-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bster13 (Post 58167230)
All depends on what the collect SD community is looking for in specs. For me it hit the nail on the head.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HanSoo417 (Post 58163848)

If I want to upgrade to an SSD, Do I just need any 2.5"? does it matter if its 7mm or 9mm?

And for a RAM upgrade, what kind does it take?

You can upgrade msata or hdd make sure you get 7mm size ssd
Memory that can work at 16000mhz and 1866 mhz i did try both in my xps 14 both work fine perfect without any freeze .i am running newest bios versiom for xps 14

dragontales 03-12-2013 11:16 AM

Would adding one of those tiny usb airlink 101 wifi adapters fix things? I know it'll stick out just a bit but it's really really small. And it's only $10.

Bster13 03-12-2013 11:16 AM

1333MHZ memory is what the motherboard will support. Please be aware anything faster than that will just be clocked down, so for general use, there is no benefit over 1333MHZ.

External USB adapter certainly might, but I'd be pissed if I had to resort to that. I'd return this laptop and go for another refurb or perhaps a different laptops all together.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragontales (Post 58169090)
Would adding one of those tiny usb airlink 101 wifi adapters fix things? I know it'll stick out just a bit but it's really really small. And it's only $10.

aleki 03-12-2013 11:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by HanSoo417 (Post 58163848)

If you have a +7mm SSD and don't mind voiding the warranty, just pop off the case. The only thing you may want to do is use non-conductive foam to pad the SSD board, so it isn't flopping about.

whozee 03-12-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleki (Post 58169392)
If you have a +7mm SSD and don't mind voiding the warranty, just pop off the case. The only thing you may want to do is use non-conductive foam to pad the SSD board, so it isn't flopping about.

Forgive my n00bness, but are the Samsung 830/840 7mm?

worthmining 03-12-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megapper (Post 58167994)
i can confirm that the wifi speed is half of what you would expect.

Sitting on my that is about two arms length from the router (airport express) with speedtest.net running, and the xps 14 consistently gets half download speed as my series 9 15". consistently!

it went back of course. and there is a whole thread at notebookforum to back this up.

apparently, this problem is also associated with the bigger 15" xps.

are you sure both are on wifi N? make sure either both are on 5ghz or 2.3ghz.

ken_e1407 03-12-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bster13 (Post 58169106)
1333MHZ memory is what the motherboard will support. Please be aware anything faster than that will just be clocked down, so for general use, there is no benefit over 1333MHZ.

External USB adapter certainly might, but I'd be pissed if I had to resort to that. I'd return this laptop and go for another refurb or perhaps a different laptops all together.

Hi
I think you were wrong. I am using this one for my XPS 14
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Corsa...&cp=1&lp=4

Its not clocked down. I bought one from outlet $1009 with 20% coupon. with base spec i5 4gb ram 1333mhz gt 630 32ssd 500 5400rpm.

But i already return my xps to dell.

ken_e1407 03-12-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whozee (Post 58174988)
Forgive my n00bness, but are the Samsung 830/840 7mm?

7mm ssd
http://slickdeals.net/f/5901422-SanDisk-Ultra-Plus-SSD-128-GB-SATA-6-0-Gbps-2-5-Inch-Solid-State-Drive-SDSSDHP-128G-G25-79-Ffree-shiping

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-3132...y-upgrade/

Bster13 03-12-2013 03:17 PM

I guess we'll have to take your word for it since you return the laptop and have no proof, but the laptop specs 1333mhz RAM. If it can do a higher spec, that's great but the laptop specs state 1333.

I also emailed my corporate sales rep at Dell and they state the specis 1333MHZ as well.

We'll see.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ken_e1407 (Post 58175354)
Hi
I think you were wrong. I am using this one for my XPS 14
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Corsa...&cp=1&lp=4

Its not clocked down. I bought one from outlet $1009 with 20% coupon. with base spec i5 4gb ram 1333mhz gt 630 32ssd 500 5400rpm.

But i already return my xps to dell.

mike6ds 03-12-2013 07:26 PM

Just picked one up. My 5 year old HP from my college days just called it quits! This will be pretty solid for what I will be doing.

doosty 03-13-2013 05:38 AM

anyone with experience with changing the HD to SSD how difficult is it on a scale to 1-10? and how much lighter does it feel?

also how difficult is it to change the ram? pretty set on upgrading the ram but not sure how hard it is since i've never done it before.

Bster13 03-13-2013 06:08 AM

Tutorials for ~everything~ here:
http://blog.parts-people.com/cate...-14-l421x/

Quote:

Originally Posted by doosty (Post 58186780)
anyone with experience with changing the HD to SSD how difficult is it on a scale to 1-10? and how much lighter does it feel?

also how difficult is it to change the ram? pretty set on upgrading the ram but not sure how hard it is since i've never done it before.

For weight differences, scroll down to the "weight" section:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/SSD-...750.0.html

whozee 03-13-2013 08:31 AM

Has anyone's laptop shipped?

Mine shows "in production" with an Estimated Delivery Date: 3/20/2013 (updated)
Originally the estimated delivery date was 3/15/2013.

Bster13 03-13-2013 08:32 AM

Mine is out for delivery today...ordered it Monday @ 12:53AM (sunday night). It shipped from Nashville, TN. I'm in CT.

german747 03-13-2013 08:44 AM

It says single channel memory, does that mean one 16 GB can go in there. I know Dell says max 8gb, but than dell always says less for all their machines.

Any good deals for 16GB SODIMM

Bster13 03-13-2013 08:46 AM

How can you tell or mod the laptop to accept 16gb if it is speced for 8?

german747 03-13-2013 08:57 AM

That is the problem with Dell. They always spec low. I have put higher memory on couple of my Dell desktops, and BIOS recognized the full amount.

Also in one of the reviews I saw 16GB being mentioned for this and 15" version.

I formatted both the disks and installed win7 on msata. Runs pretty good. No WiFi significant issues. I put W8 64bit latest drivers.

Bster13 03-13-2013 09:08 AM

Well I posted up the question here to see if anyone has done it yet:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/d...ost9121247

Quote:

Originally Posted by german747 (Post 58191114)
That is the problem with Dell. They always spec low. I have put higher memory on couple of my Dell desktops, and BIOS recognized the full amount.

Also in one of the reviews I saw 16GB being mentioned for this and 15" version.

I formatted both the disks and installed win7 on msata. Runs pretty good. No WiFi significant issues. I put W8 64bit latest drivers.

doosty 03-13-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bster13 (Post 58187356)

yup i saw the tutorial but just wanted to see what everyone's experience was. the pictures and instructions seem simple enought but I've never opened a laptop up before.

thanks!

Bster13 03-13-2013 11:40 AM

Unboxing w/ pics

http://i48.tinypic.com/14kjxn8.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/6hno93.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/mm4veo.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/vxc4tk.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/28qtgnp.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/v7cpxh.jpg

The thing is mint, no way to tell cosmetically this is refurb except for the sticker on the bottom. No use even on the trackpad.

It came with a WIN8 CD, a printed manual of sorts, a 90w power supply, and a 65w travel power supply.

Have not booted it yet, but cosmetically it is 10/10.

Bster13 03-13-2013 11:45 AM

FYI, I might of mentioned in my review of my friend's XPS 14 Ultrabook that there was a slight bit of tack to the touchpad, well it must of been revised...this one is smooth as glass.

dandaman1219 03-13-2013 11:48 AM

If the two available coupons combined....oh man..

Bster13 03-13-2013 01:35 PM

Hot damn... new battery too!

Design capacity:
69wh

Last full charge capacity:
68.24wh

whozee 03-13-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bster13 (Post 58195728)
http://i48.tinypic.com/14kjxn8.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/6hno93.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/mm4veo.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/vxc4tk.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/28qtgnp.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/v7cpxh.jpg

The thing is mint, no way to tell cosmetically this is refurb except for the sticker on the bottom. No use even on the trackpad.

It came with a WIN8 CD, a printed manual of sorts, a 90w power supply, and a 65w travel power supply.

Have not booted it yet, but cosmetically it is 10/10.

Please test WiFi, there are quite a few concerns about WiFi problems.

Search Youtube for videos.

Bster13 03-13-2013 09:24 PM

Dell support actually has control of my new PC now trying to troubleshoot why my wireless download speeds are 1/2 that of my old Dell E6410, haha.. Ugh... will keep everyone posted.

worthmining 03-13-2013 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bster13 (Post 58187356)

if I replace the HDD by SSD, what am I going to do with the msata?

Bster13 03-14-2013 06:00 AM

Ok, so after going through various troubleshooting steps with Dell via chat, they are sending me out a different wireless card. The tech did basically everything I had already done (but of course he had to verify). I was getting max 17mbps down on the XPS, high 40s - 50s with my Dell E6410 and 40s with an old Macbook Pro. So the problem was real with me, not sure if anyone else on this thread is experiencing the same trouble.

aleki 03-14-2013 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worthmining (Post 58209244)
if I replace the HDD by SSD, what am I going to do with the msata?

If cost is negligible, you're better off replacing the mSATA first; so you get to keep that HDD for storage/files

worthmining 03-14-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleki (Post 58214858)
If cost is negligible, you're better off replacing the mSATA first; so you get to keep that HDD for storage/files

I wonder if the laptop must use the mSATA as boot drive? can I replace the HDD with SDD then get rid of the mSATA? I happen to have a few spare SSD but none mSATA.

aleki 03-14-2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worthmining (Post 58215014)
I wonder if the laptop must use the mSATA as boot drive? can I replace the HDD with SDD then get rid of the mSATA? I happen to have a few spare SSD but none mSATA.

The computer treats both like separate disks; hybrid boot is controlled by Intel Smart Response.
Before you reinstall Windows, just make sure SATA is set to AHCI mode, in BIOS

Jackeduphard 03-14-2013 08:53 AM

WOW! What a good price ... :)

worthmining 03-14-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aleki (Post 58215558)
The computer treats both like separate disks; hybrid boot is controlled by Intel Smart Response.
Before you reinstall Windows, just make sure SATA is set to AHCI mode, in BIOS

Thanks for the help. SD won't let me rep twice :shake:

whozee 03-14-2013 09:27 AM

My XPS 14 finally shipped and should arrive next Tuesday 3/19/2013.

Depending on the census here regarding Wifi issues I might refuse and return the package, on the fence.

shanarya 03-14-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whozee (Post 58216520)
My XPS 14 finally shipped and should arrive next Tuesday 3/19/2013.

Depending on the census here regarding Wifi issues I might refuse and return the package, on the fence.

I noticed at this forumhttp://forum.notebookreview.com/d...e-154.html that the wifi card can be changed. So if you all like the computer then you could also ask dell for new wifi card like previous poster.

whozee 03-14-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shanarya (Post 58217236)
I noticed at this forumhttp://forum.notebookreview.com/d...e-154.html that the wifi card can be changed. So if you all like the computer then you could also ask dell for new wifi card like previous poster.

Thanks for the link, kinda cool to see a few SD'ers in that thread.

slickfatty 03-14-2013 01:45 PM

I received my XPS 14 today. The laptop is mint EXCEPT for a tiny nick on the edge of the lid.

The 32GB mSATA SSD is configured as its own drive. I had to change it in BIOS and then configure it in the Intel utility to use it as accelerated disk. I imagine they're all shipped the same way, so if you're wondering why it's not any faster than a plain old HDD, there you go. After a few reboots it became noticeably faster at booting, but still not quite as fast as a straight up SSD - my Asus S200E with a 64GB Samsung 830 SSD cold boots in 7 seconds, but I still don't like Windows 8, will more than likely put Win7 on it.

weirdon 03-14-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slickfatty (Post 58223138)
I received my XPS 14 today. The laptop is mint EXCEPT for a tiny nick on the edge of the lid.

The 32GB mSATA SSD is configured as its own drive. I had to change it in BIOS and then configure it in the Intel utility to use it as accelerated disk. I imagine they're all shipped the same way, so if you're wondering why it's not any faster than a plain old HDD, there you go. After a few reboots it became noticeably faster at booting, but still not quite as fast as a straight up SSD - my Asus S200E with a 64GB Samsung 830 SSD cold boots in 7 seconds, but I still don't like Windows 8, will more than likely put Win7 on it.

I just receive the xps 14 too. Internet seems fine to me. I didn't check with speedtest yet but I think my internet will never go above 3mb/s

whozee 03-14-2013 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slickfatty (Post 58223138)

How is the backlit keyboard configured? Does it stay on all the time or only when typing (like the Vostro V131)?

Can you test your wifi?

ken_e1407 03-15-2013 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bster13 (Post 58211888)
Ok, so after going through various troubleshooting steps with Dell via chat, they are sending me out a different wireless card. The tech did basically everything I had already done (but of course he had to verify). I was getting max 17mbps down on the XPS, high 40s - 50s with my Dell E6410 and 40s with an old Macbook Pro. So the problem was real with me, not sure if anyone else on this thread is experiencing the same trouble.

Did you still having same problem on XPS 14 with wifi issue ??

I just run few test on Speedtest.net
My macbook got 16mps down
Vaio S seri got ~18mps down
XPS 14 got 4mb down
sometime its boot up to 12mps
and now its just ~ 2mbs

I did test when only one device connect with router.
This is really nice laptop but i cant stand with wifi issue
After done research wifi issue came from Antenna not the wireless card.
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2495693078.png
Im using blast package of Comcast.

young3 03-15-2013 01:01 AM

I get faster than 4mb down with it.

edit: try changing the drivers

ken_e1407 03-15-2013 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by young3 (Post 58234258)
I get faster than 4mb down with it.

edit: try changing the drivers

Thanks.
Which driver did you use ? from dell or intel.com ?

young3 03-15-2013 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ken_e1407 (Post 58234268)
Thanks.
Which driver did you use ? from dell or intel.com ?

the latest one from dell.com

Phryxus 03-15-2013 10:19 AM

So from what I am gathering from this and other threads, it is a great laptop, unless yours has terrible wifi, which most do? Sounds like a dealbreaker... otherwise I really want to grab one!

megapper 03-15-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ken_e1407 (Post 58234154)
Did you still having same problem on XPS 14 with wifi issue ??

I just run few test on Speedtest.net
My macbook got 16mps down
Vaio S seri got ~18mps down
XPS 14 got 4mb down
sometime its boot up to 12mps
and now its just ~ 2mbs

I did test when only one device connect with router.
This is really nice laptop but i cant stand with wifi issue
After done research wifi issue came from Antenna not the wireless card.
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2495693078.png
Im using blast package of Comcast.

The only fix for this, is to ask Dell to send you an external wifi dongles (there are quite a few on their accessories list to pick from). Dell has been doing that for the owners of the xps 15 with their own wifi issues.

like this http://accessories.us.dell.com/sn...u=A6068351
small so it wont get it your way...

or return the otherwise, very solid and nice looking, laptop.

Bster13 03-15-2013 11:23 AM

Dell just left and they installed a "Dell Wireless 1901 802.11/a/b/g/n (2.4GHz and 5GHZ" wireless card. Cannot test speeds reliably at work, but yeah I kind of agree with megapper... I love this laptop, but external dongle may be answer. Sucks it takes up a USB port though.

I just see a similar laptop at this price point with these features (battery, high res screen, 1yr refurb warranty, etc. etc.)

xprincox 03-15-2013 03:07 PM

Anyone having problems applying the coupon code? It keeps saying

Coupons Entered
The following coupons have been entered but require additional information or do not meet eligibility requirements. Click "View Details" link(s) for more information.

Save $350 on any Dell Outlet XPS 14 Ultrabook priced at $915!

But the item i picked is $919??? :confused::confused:

hdmiGuy 03-15-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xprincox (Post 58248540)
Anyone having problems applying the coupon code? It keeps saying

Coupons Entered
The following coupons have been entered but require additional information or do not meet eligibility requirements. Click "View Details" link(s) for more information.

Save $350 on any Dell Outlet XPS 14 Ultrabook priced at $915!

But the item i picked is $919??? :confused::confused:

The coupon will only work for units priced EXACTLY at $915.
You can try to ask the Live Chat people nicely, though :thumbup:

shanarya 03-15-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hdmiGuy (Post 58249934)
The coupon will only work for units priced EXACTLY at $915.
You can try to ask the Live Chat people nicely, though :thumbup:

Call!! Should work. If not call again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shanarya (Post 58250666)

But actually i just checked and $915 is still available. So just do that

Bster13 03-15-2013 05:28 PM

OK after the wireless card replacement, not seeing any difference. I ran Windows Update prior to running the speedtest tests, but I just now went to the Dell support website and it's downloading 42 (more) updates. So we'll try once more.

xprincox 03-15-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shanarya (Post 58250666)

But actually i just checked and $915 is still available. So just do that

ah it has to be exactly $915. sweet got mine! thx!

whozee 03-15-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bster13 (Post 58243016)
Dell just left and they installed a "Dell Wireless 1901 802.11/a/b/g/n (2.4GHz and 5GHZ" wireless card. Cannot test speeds reliably at work, but yeah I kind of agree with megapper... I love this laptop, but external dongle may be answer. Sucks it takes up a USB port though.

I just see a similar laptop at this price point with these features (battery, high res screen, 1yr refurb warranty, etc. etc.)

I work a M-F 8-5 job and don't want Dell visiting my place of employment.

Do you know if they're willing to ship the wifi card and allow self-install?

ken_e1407 03-15-2013 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whozee (Post 58252176)
I work a M-F 8-5 job and don't want Dell visiting my place of employment.

Do you know if they're willing to ship the wifi card and allow self-install?

Yes.
Dell technical used to send me msata and memory also wirelessdisplay card for my alienware m14x r2.
I have to install them by my self

Bster13 03-16-2013 02:34 PM

Not sure if Dell will ship stuff, but worth a shot, I did not ask.

So with the Dell card, I have determined it does not perform any better than the Intel Centrino, I fear it's all about the antenna. To proof this I did the following....

- Inserted USB flash drive into back of Cisco EA3500 wireless router. (I wanted to eliminate any troubles on the internet and control the variables while testing download speeds locally over Wifi)

- Moved the XPS 14 Ultrabook and old Dell E6410 31 feet away from the wireless router, 3 rooms away.

- Downloaded a 600+ megabyte file from the USB stick to the PC and timed how long it too.

1st up: Dell E6410.

Took about 3:50 to complete the transfer: http://i49.tinypic.com/2h2kpdg.jpg

2nd up: Dell XPS 14 Ultrabook on Windows 8.

Stopped the transfer at the ~3:50 mark: http://i46.tinypic.com/2v2td8p.jpg

3rd up: Dell XPS 14 Ultrabook on Linux Mint 14 (running on USB stick).

Stopped the transfer at the ~3:50 mark: http://i46.tinypic.com/1grek9.jpg

So yeah. I'm going back to Dell and we'll see if they will replace the antenna in the Laptop, but I'm not confident this will fix things as I feel it is a design mistake somewhere.

Bster13 03-16-2013 02:36 PM

I will say otherwise... the laptop rocks, especially the screen res and the battery life is phenomenal. But yeah, if the wireless sucks, that kind of defeats the purpose of a laptop. Perhaps I can work something out with Dell for them to provide me with a mini USB wireless adapter, but not really look forward to losing 50% of my USB 3.0 ports. :(

JustHangingOut 03-16-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bster13 (Post 58263834)
I will say otherwise... the laptop rocks, especially the screen res and the battery life is phenomenal. But yeah, if the wireless sucks, that kind of defeats the purpose of a laptop.

Just wanted to say thanks for all of your updates. I've been debating picking this notebook up, even though it's not necessary for me. The weight and especially the wi-fi has me concerned, this Wi-Fi issue appears to be pretty wide spread.

It's a great deal given that it's an aluminum one-piece manufacturing process, but what's the point if your internet is 1/5th of all your other devices. The display also has a few marks on it but I think hat can be overseen given the notebook's discounted price. The Wi-Fi issue? A pretty big deal breaker shame :(.

Bster13 03-16-2013 04:51 PM

As I sit here 15ft from the wifi, it flies, but if I were on an airport using free wifi, it could be a problem. I am going to press dell for a USB adapter as I bet that will resolve it. Generally my laptop has just my phone charging on it so not the end of the world. I challenge anyone to look at the screen and be able to tell it in TN. It's very good IMO and bright. Batter is best I've ever seen. Haven't plugged in all day haha.

iamnotmrcole 03-17-2013 06:14 AM

Bought this week before it went on sale in the Outlet. I have loaded lots in the hd. Ordered the outlet one and was thinking if swapping the hd because I have exceeded the license on Office 2010 and cannot load it in another pc. Thoughts? Will they still take it back at Dell?

megapper 03-17-2013 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamnotmrcole (Post 58272906)
Bought this week before it went on sale in the Outlet. I have loaded lots in the hd. Ordered the outlet one and was thinking if swapping the hd because I have exceeded the license on Office 2010 and cannot load it in another pc. Thoughts? Will they still take it back at Dell?

Uninstall your office in the old computer and reinstall in the new. No problem with that as long as the physical number of installations remain the same. Just have to go through the tedious phone activation process.

slickfatty 03-17-2013 07:06 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I just did some testing of my own, and yes I think it might have to do with a poor antenna. The Asus I tested against (2.4ghz only) the entire copy test (same 1GB file stored on my HTPC) was with the laptop facing away from where the router is, ~20 feet away. The Dell seems to improve when I face the thing toward the router, but at the same 2.4ghz band it's like half the speed of the Asus. Switching to the 5ghz band improved things a bit. Throughput on either band fluctuates a lot more than the Asus on this side by side test. For comparison my 13" retina MBP does 12MB-14MB per second the whole way on the 5ghz band.

Yes the XPS14's screen is pretty nice for a TN when looking straight on, but viewing angle is still very poor, shift slightly from perfectly straight on and it's clearly no IPS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bster13 (Post 58263816)
Not sure if Dell will ship stuff, but worth a shot, I did not ask.

So with the Dell card, I have determined it does not perform any better than the Intel Centrino, I fear it's all about the antenna. To proof this I did the following....

- Inserted USB flash drive into back of Cisco EA3500 wireless router. (I wanted to eliminate any troubles on the internet and control the variables while testing download speeds locally over Wifi)

- Moved the XPS 14 Ultrabook and old Dell E6410 31 feet away from the wireless router, 3 rooms away.

- Downloaded a 600+ megabyte file from the USB stick to the PC and timed how long it too.

1st up: Dell E6410.

Took about 3:50 to complete the transfer: http://i49.tinypic.com/2h2kpdg.jpg

2nd up: Dell XPS 14 Ultrabook on Windows 8.

Stopped the transfer at the ~3:50 mark: http://i46.tinypic.com/2v2td8p.jpg

3rd up: Dell XPS 14 Ultrabook on Linux Mint 14 (running on USB stick).

Stopped the transfer at the ~3:50 mark: http://i46.tinypic.com/1grek9.jpg

So yeah. I'm going back to Dell and we'll see if they will replace the antenna in the Laptop, but I'm not confident this will fix things as I feel it is a design mistake somewhere.

shanarya 03-17-2013 06:29 PM

This deal is still live and still quite decent comparatively.

mitchel 03-18-2013 06:44 AM

Windows 8...no thank you! If it was Windows 7 I would have purchased it.

superflex 03-18-2013 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megapper (Post 58138312)
any updates on the wifi issues with these xps 14?

mine (bestbuy) consisttently gets half of download speed compared to both acer v5 and series 9...

never had to move far from wifi spot but worried that this might be an annoyance in the future...

The wifi issue has not been resolved. The metal chassis seems to be the culprit as the same problems were evident in a XPS 14Z I bought a while ago. Sent it back within a week due to the horrible throughput and poor wifi signal.
People who owned the XPS 14Z went through the same garbage you're trying replacing wifi cards, drivers, etc. You're wasting your time.
Looks don't mean shit when your laptop times out downloading a file.

Bster13 03-18-2013 08:21 AM

I believe it is the chassis as well after switching wireless cards.

I will press Dell for a USB Mini adapter. It takes away one of the USB ports, but generally I just have an iPhone plugged in charging, so no need for two on the regular. When I'm at home, 1 room away the wireless flies just fine, 3 rooms away (30+ feet) it has problems as compared to other laptops at my house.

If I am at home 1 room away in my living room, I won't need the USB mini-adapter, but if I'm on the road and connecting to an airport access point for example, I'll use the USB adapter.

So the wireless is the Achilles heel here, for an otherwise amazing deal. For what it offers, I have not found a similar product that fits this niche (nice resolution, nice fit and finish, god-like battery, 1 yr warranty on refurb, A+ grade refurb cosmetically, etc.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by superflex (Post 58290476)
The wifi issue has not been resolved. The metal chassis seems to be the culprit as the same problems were evident in a XPS 14Z I bought a while ago. Sent it back within a week due to the horrible throughput and poor wifi signal.
People who owned the XPS 14Z went through the same garbage you're trying replacing wifi cards, drivers, etc. You're wasting your time.

triadcool 03-18-2013 09:34 AM

I keep refreshing the page but don't see any listed for $915?

Bster13 03-18-2013 12:09 PM

Spoke to Dell over the phone this time. After explaining the testing I had done, she spoke with her manager and they will dispatch a Dell tech to replace the antenna inside the laptop. This is the last thing they can do IMO, so giving them the benefit of the doubt. They have provided good service over the phone/chat thus far.

JustHangingOut 03-18-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triadcool (Post 58293834)
I keep refreshing the page but don't see any listed for $915?

I just looked, they appear to be out of stock at the $915 range. They will likely get more stock in soon. I believe the coupon doesn't expire until April 1st.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bster13 (Post 58298140)
Spoke to Dell over the phone this time. After explaining the testing I had done, she spoke with her manager and they will dispatch a Dell tech to replace the antenna inside the laptop. This is the last thing they can do IMO, so giving them the benefit of the doubt. They have provided good service over the phone/chat thus far.

Keep us updated. I would've considered this if it wasn't for the poor wifi. Surprised this wasn't tested in their quality assurance. I mean 1/4th the WiFi speed is a bit ridiculous. My MBP has the same speeds that my other devices have if not a bit faster.

worthmining 03-19-2013 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bster13 (Post 58298140)

Have you tried wifi N? On my xps 14, the 2.5GHz keeps getting poor speed, however on 5GHz it's getting fastest speed I've never seen in my house. Copying a multi-GB file from another computer (both are on 5GHz) gives me 6 - 7mb/s max or 3 - 4 mb/s most of time, whereas 2.5Ghz never exceeds 300 - 500 Kb/s even when right next to router while I expect at least 1 - 2mb/s as experienced on other laptops.

However, 5GHz coverage is smaller than 2.5GHz, not sure what they use in airport these days, that could be a problem in public area.

Bster13 03-19-2013 07:44 AM

The intel wireless card that was originally in the laptop did have the ability to prefer or use only 5GHZ band, that yielded better results, but my Dell E6410 still blew it away. The "upgraded" dell wireless card they installed does not have that flexibility (not 100% sure, laptop is at home)

doosty 03-19-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bster13 (Post 58292084)
I believe it is the chassis as well after switching wireless cards.

I will press Dell for a USB Mini adapter. It takes away one of the USB ports, but generally I just have an iPhone plugged in charging, so no need for two on the regular. When I'm at home, 1 room away the wireless flies just fine, 3 rooms away (30+ feet) it has problems as compared to other laptops at my house.

If I am at home 1 room away in my living room, I won't need the USB mini-adapter, but if I'm on the road and connecting to an airport access point for example, I'll use the USB adapter.

So the wireless is the Achilles heel here, for an otherwise amazing deal. For what it offers, I have not found a similar product that fits this niche (nice resolution, nice fit and finish, god-like battery, 1 yr warranty on refurb, A+ grade refurb cosmetically, etc.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by superflex (Post 58290476)

What cards did you guys try replacing with? I'm tempted to try to go that route as I've seen a couple of success stories.

Bster13 03-19-2013 11:26 AM

I did not replace the card, Dell came onsite and replaced the Intel Centrino card with a Dell branded one...but again, I don't believe it is about the wireless card, I think it has to do with the antenna design.

And the laptop will surf the web just fine, but if you start doing speed tests next to another laptop, you will noticed download speeds.

zemikem 03-19-2013 11:56 AM

I received my XPS yesterday and was wondering what battery capacity everyone is seeing from their machines? Mine was initially showing 99% of designed capacity, but after the first recharge it dropped to 93.7%. Does anyone that has experience with Dell refurbs know if they will issue a new battery when you contact support?

Bster13 03-19-2013 12:04 PM

Not sure if they issue new batteries or not, but mine was.

Go to a command prompt (run as administrator) and type "powercfp/Energy"

It will output an HTML file to a system32 directory. Copy the file to your my docs then you can open it in IE. The output will give design capacity of the battery and last full charge capacity.

mpod5 03-19-2013 05:10 PM

Is this deal still going? If so I'm looking to snag one, the m1330 finally died on me

worthmining 03-19-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpod5 (Post 58329800)
Is this deal still going? If so I'm looking to snag one, the m1330 finally died on me

I also bought xps 14 to replace m1330, guess finally the small 720p screen didn't cut it need a bigger screen this time.

After upgrade bios to A13, and install through all "recommended" network drivers on dell site for this model, the wifi 2.5Ghz finally works fine now. Speedtest has shown 20mbps near the router and up to 10mbps 30 feet and several walls away, I no longer have any excuse to return it, a heavy metal it is, the speaker, battery and screen (brighter and better color than Yoga 13) are truly awesome.

mpod5 03-19-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worthmining (Post 58333110)
I also bought xps 14 to replace m1330, guess finally the small 720p screen didn't cut it need a bigger screen this time.

After upgrade bios to A13, and install through all "recommended" network drivers on dell site for this model, the wifi 2.5Ghz finally works fine now. Speedtest has shown 20mbps near the router and up to 10mbps 30 feet and several walls away, I no longer have any excuse to return it, a heavy metal it is, the speaker, battery and screen (brighter and better color than Yoga 13) are truly awesome.

That calms my worries, when did you find it in stock? I've been checking the past few days and haven't found any available

worthmining 03-19-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpod5 (Post 58334592)
That calms my worries, when did you find it in stock? I've been checking the past few days and haven't found any available

I ordered on 12th. In fact, the batch lasted for a few days. If this is your portable laptop then may not be the best choice, it's heavier. If the XPS 13 is not 720p I'd be all over it, 900p is the minimum I can go. even m1330 is 800p and it felt stretched.

I'd suggest you go to a store and play with win8 on those demo before you decide the touchscreen is not necessary.

mpod5 03-19-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worthmining (Post 58335348)
I ordered on 12th. In fact, the batch lasted for a few days. If this is your portable laptop then may not be the best choice, it's heavier. If the XPS 13 is not 720p I'd be all over it, 900p is the minimum I can go. even m1330 is 800p and it felt stretched.

I'd suggest you go to a store and play with win8 on those demo before you decide the touchscreen is not necessary.

Yeah I was planning on playing with W8 beforehand to see how it was, honestly right now I'm up for whichever I can get first, the 13 and the 14 are both really good deals for what you're getting value wise

shanarya 03-20-2013 12:01 AM

There is one priced at $919. Im willing to bet it can be done with this deal as xps 13 had similar sitauation. Just need to call or chat with right person.

shanarya 03-20-2013 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpod5 (Post 58334592)

One xps 13 and one xps 14 available now. With 9 in stead of 5 as ligit price in digit. Can be gotten thru chat or call. Even apply coupon later sometimes YMMV if you buy now while office is closed. Try a few times if first csr wont do it.

hdmiGuy 03-20-2013 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shanarya (Post 58336572)
One xps 13 and one xps 14 available now. With 9 in stead of 5 as ligit price in digit. Can be gotten thru chat or call. Even apply coupon later sometimes YMMV if you buy now while office is closed. Try a few times if first csr wont do it.

I've tried about 5 chats and a couple calls in the last few days.
None of them will budge on letting me use the coupon for a difference price not even if it's $4 more.
Anyone have any success?

shanarya 03-20-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hdmiGuy (Post 58336600)
I've tried about 5 chats and a couple calls in the last few days.
None of them will budge on letting me use the coupon for a difference price not even if it's $4 more.
Anyone have any success?

In the. Xps 13 thread many people are doing it. Check it out. Maybe they wont do it on the xps 14

mpod5 03-20-2013 09:11 AM

Grabbed it and got chat to adjust the price, and with the gift card promotion that brings it to 484 before taxes...crazy deal, and more money for that SSD in the future. Thanks OP and everyone for the help

hdmiGuy 03-20-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpod5 (Post 58343688)
Grabbed it and got chat to adjust the price, and with the gift card promotion that brings it to 484 before taxes...crazy deal, and more money for that SSD in the future. Thanks OP and everyone for the help

They adjusted the $919 for you?

Bster13 03-20-2013 09:21 AM

BooYaa!!!

Dell tech came onsite to replace the antenna... this involved installing a brand new screen from the hinges up. The laptop was all in pieces, but....

Here was the test on my Dell E6410, my trusty standard, in copying a ~580MB file stored on a UBS stick plugged into the back of my wireless router (so not internet involved here at all to eliminate variables, just straight WiFi):

http://i48.tinypic.com/34440md.jpg

The transfer speeds average 4.5 MB/sec.

And here is the XPS with the new LCD/Antenna installed doing the same test:

http://i50.tinypic.com/33ky91j.jpg

The transfer speeds averaged 5+ MB.sec.

The wireless router was 20 feet away. Tonight I'll test at home in the same exact place I've always tested, 31 feet, three rooms away, but this is very promising!!!! :bounce:

This is the first time the XPS has beaten the E6410 in my tests from any distance. Previously, the closer to the router I got, the more even the transfer rates were.
(please note this is the Dell wireless card, not the Intel Centrino card that originally came with the laptop. I don't thinks a big difference here though. Me thinks the alluminum case maybe isn't so bad afterall, and it's all about the antenna)

mpod5 03-20-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hdmiGuy (Post 58343794)
They adjusted the $919 for you?

Yeah they were super helpful, It even took like an hour to get my giftcard code for the 75 dollar GC promotion so he told me to chat him later and he would complete the order. Ask to talk to Frank and he will do it for you

hdmiGuy 03-20-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpod5 (Post 58345274)
Yeah they were super helpful, It even took like an hour to get my giftcard code for the 75 dollar GC promotion so he told me to chat him later and he would complete the order. Ask to talk to Frank and he will do it for you

Thanks for giving me hope!
Tried it with Marvin and he was able to adjust the $919 for me :bounce:
With the 400+75 promo card, I paid $534.41 out of pocket.

I was in the same situation but luckily my card sent in a few seconds.

mpod5 03-20-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hdmiGuy (Post 58345516)

Awesome, it was really hard deal to pass up on with the gift card promo, 523 after taxes for me for a sweet laptop, lets just hope I can work out the wifi issues...

Bster13 03-20-2013 10:24 AM

Can you detail your discounts? What is the $75 promo card?

I paid $598 including shipping and tax to CT for my $915 XPS 14.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hdmiGuy (Post 58345516)

hdmiGuy 03-20-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bster13 (Post 58345806)
Can you detail your discounts? What is the $75 promo card?

I paid $598 including shipping and tax to CT for my $915 XPS 14.

http://slickdeals.net/f/5916472-New-Dell-eGift-Cards-with-Promo-Bonus-400-75-Bonus

just started yesterday

Bster13 03-20-2013 10:30 AM

Son of a... Oh well. always a better deal around the corner. :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by hdmiGuy (Post 58345926)

whozee 03-20-2013 10:50 AM

Edit: Nevermind I see a previous post on how to check battery status/cycles.

Bster13 03-20-2013 11:02 AM

OK, I quit. :p Just did a test and from 35-40 feet away the XPS is crawling and will take hours to finish and the E6410 too ~4 minutes. I guess my final verdict is, a plastic cased laptop will generally out perform an aluminum one, at least this is the case for me.

Now I will say, within reason, at least my XPS in its current state, will do just fine for normal activities, but as you get really far away from an AP then the difference start to show.

hdmiGuy 03-20-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bster13 (Post 58347018)
OK, I quit. :p Just did a test and from 35-40 feet away the XPS is crawling and will take hours to finish and the E6410 too ~4 minutes. I guess my final verdict is, a plastic cased laptop will generally out perform an aluminum one, at least this is the case for me.

Now I will say, within reason, at least my XPS in its current state, will do just fine for normal activities, but as you get really far away from an AP then the difference start to show.

I think if mine has the wifi issue I'll just request Dell send me one of those mini USB network adapters. I don't mind giving up a USB port as I generally don't use them on laptops anyway.

If you end up just requesting a network adapter, please let us know how it worked out.
Thanks for your updates Bster13, I'm sure we all appreciate your time.

Edit: This one looks like something you can just leave plugged in and forget about- http://accessories.us.dell.com/sn...u=A5267761

Bster13 03-20-2013 01:08 PM

Stumbled upon an XPS 13 to test against...

I tested all three of them from 35-40 feet away:

http://i47.tinypic.com/2upfo68.jpg

The E6410 is still king, then the XPS 13 over the 14:

http://i45.tinypic.com/2j0i1zp.jpg

Then I moved to ~20 feet away from the wireless router with a USB drive plugged in the back:

http://i50.tinypic.com/2j18jd3.jpg

Surprisingly the XPS 14 on the right smokes the XPS 13.

So I guess at long distances the XPS 14 loses out, but when you get back to a reasonable distance from your AP (in your house or apartment) the XPS 14 starts to smoke other laptops.

shanarya 03-20-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bster13 (Post 58350582)

The E6410 is still king, then the XPS 13 over the 13:

Then I moved to ~20 feet away from the wireless router with a USB drive plugged in the back:

So I guess at long distances the XPS 14 loses out, but when you get back to a reasonable distance from your AP (in your house or apartment) the XPS 14 starts to smoke other laptops.

Thanks for that info. Also if someone can update the wiki with the $75 off that would be helpful. Ill try to edit the main post to reflect possible $75 off when im back at my home computer.

hdmiGuy 03-20-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shanarya (Post 58351406)
Thanks for that info. Also if someone can update the wiki with the $75 off that would be helpful. Ill try to edit the main post to reflect possible $75 off when im back at my home computer.

Done.

worthmining 03-20-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bster13 (Post 58350582)

The E6410 is still king, then the XPS 13 over the 14:

I can attest the xps 14 when in range, both 2.5ghz and 5ghz brings above expected speed, comparing to some others who claim xps 14 wifi problem, made me wonder if router is the key.

mpod5 03-21-2013 10:31 AM

I ordered yesterday and expected delivery is tomorrow...that's some impressive service

rtrevino9 03-21-2013 06:53 PM

in order to get this deal on a 13" I'd have to call or chat?

shanarya 03-21-2013 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtrevino9 (Post 58381674)
in order to get this deal on a 13" I'd have to call or chat?

Calling appears to be best from the comments I've read. Chatting has also worked though. Tough part is snagging the one or two that come out at a time and knowing that you can sometimes get dell to give you the coupon when there is a 9 on the end rather then the 5 as the deal states, although the computers are the exact same model.

Again I suggest the middle of the night pacific standard time, like 2-3am.

Also read through the xps 13 thread

shanarya 03-21-2013 11:32 PM

I see a 13" invailable in the oulet right now at $1009. There is also an xps 14 with the 9 on the end. $919, but it has been reported that it's harder to get. Still I believe it may be possible if you get the right csr.

shanarya 03-21-2013 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shanarya (Post 58386198)
I see a 13" invailable in the oulet right now at $1009. There is also an xps 14 with the 9 on the end. $919, but it has been reported that it's harder to get. Still I believe it may be possible if you get the right csr.

someone got it. The xps 14 is still there.

worthmining 03-22-2013 09:46 AM

touchpad scrolling with multi-touch stopped working until reboot, one more problem with xps 14.

worthmining 03-22-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpod5 (Post 58345678)
Awesome, it was really hard deal to pass up on with the gift card promo, 523 after taxes for me for a sweet laptop, lets just hope I can work out the wifi issues...

Can you still return the laptop and get the giftcard money back? the gif card is not returnable, beware.

mpod5 03-22-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worthmining (Post 58394082)
touchpad scrolling with multi-touch stopped working until reboot, one more problem with xps 14.

Same thing happened to me, however it's likely because the drivers are way outdated on these machines. I updated my drivers and it fixed the problems for now. Same for any wifi issues.

worthmining 03-22-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpod5 (Post 58401894)
Same thing happened to me, however it's likely because the drivers are way outdated on these machines. I updated my drivers and it fixed the problems for now. Same for any wifi issues.

I've already updated everything I possibly could, from bios down... all drivers can be downloaded from dell.