Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Deal Talk (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Pogoplug Classic Media Sharing Device in Pink or Black $15 + Free Shipping (http://slickdeals.net/e/5900580-pogoplug-classic-media-sharing-device-in-pink-or-black-15-free-shipping)

DJ3xclusive 03-11-2013 09:01 AM

Pogoplug Classic Media Sharing Device in Pink or Black $15 + Free Shipping

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pogoplug-...21769?var=

brisar 03-11-2013 09:01 AM

Pogoplug Classic Media Sharing Device in Pink or Black $15 + Free Shipping

2 Attachment(s)
Adorama via eBay has Pogoplug Classic Media Sharing Device in Pink POGO-P21 or Black POGO-B01 for $14.99 with free shipping. Select color option from the drop-down menu. Thanks DJ3xclusive

Price Research: Our research indicates that Pogoplug Classic Media Sharing Device is $6.50 lower (30% savings)than the next best available price from a reputable merchant with prices starting from $21.50. - brisar

wikipost 03-11-2013 09:01 AM

This post can and should be edited by users like you :)

Black is OOS

Just an FYI: I received a PINK unit today 03/13/2013. The retail box states that it is a B01 but the physical unit states that it is an E02; which I was hoping to get as I wanted more RAM. :nod:

I received a BLACK unit today 03/14/2013. The retail box states that it is a B01 but the physical unit states that it is an E02; which I was hoping to get as I wanted more RAM. :nod:

*******************Pruks***************
Good instructions for ArchLinux: http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms...2-pinkgray (Updated March 18, 2013 - see posts by jhonka)
Samba: http://obihoernchen.net/wordpress/
Plex: http://barbin.us/2013/02/setting-...-pogoplug/
*******************Pruks***************

If you followed these install instructions [archlinuxarm.org] prior to 03/18/2013, your boot partition is probably being mounted as ext2 (instead of ext3). Ext3 is better able to recover from crashes and sudden power failure than ext2. If this matters to you, see the updated instructions at that URL or see the posts by jhonka in this thread. -jhonka

http://blog.qnology.com/2013/03/t...linux.html

[Tutorial] - PogoPlug E02 with Arch Linux ARM

SAMBA
- enable swapfile
APPLE AIRPLAY
APPLE AIRPRINT
GOOGLE CLOUDPRINT
WIRELESS CONFIGURATION
BACKUP AND RESTORE

jhun_hapi 03-11-2013 09:13 AM

Tnks OP... I miss the pink one for the wifey the last time

psychokids 03-11-2013 09:25 AM

I picked up what was described as a POGO-B01 (700Mhz dual core, 128MB ram, internal SATA connector) in black from Adorama a couple weeks back, but received a POGO-E02 (1.2 GHz single core, 256MB ram). Same thing happened to me last year too.

I have several Pogos running various things and luckily preferred the single core this time around, just a warning that this likely isn't a B01 model.

dragontales 03-11-2013 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychokids (Post 58139456)
I picked up what was described as a POGO-B01 (700Mhz dual core, 128MB ram, internal SATA connector) in black from Adorama a couple weeks back, but received a POGO-E02 (1.2 GHz single core, 256MB ram). Same thing happened to me last year too.

I have several Pogos running various things and luckily preferred the single core this time around, just a warning that this likely isn't a B01 model.

Did you load one of those popular linux os?

psychokids 03-11-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragontales (Post 58139526)
Did you load one of those popular linux os?

Yep, Archlinux ARM, sab+sickbeard+samba+openvpn install for a friends place.

The stock pogoplug software though is actually very usable and convenient for casual users

hiperco 03-11-2013 10:15 AM

In 4 another, to play with linux. I'll keep my first one stock for now.

threebeers 03-11-2013 10:17 AM

If you haven't yet picked up a pogo because you were scared off by the various linux discussions in the threads,, it runs great for me with its native program for my particular purpose: music files. It plays mp3 directly on my phone with no lag, and will play either by folder or itunes like by artist, etc. If you have a big hard drive full of music this is a great way to play it off your phone. It took two minutes to set up.

I know Plex is an alternative, but then you have to following its naming convention and keep your computer on. This is a stand-alone thing that sits in our basement.

I've tried some videos but it keeps wanting to convert before playing. I'll have to do some converting to native phone format first, and see if that helps.

Best $15 I've spent in a while.

graymen2 03-11-2013 10:20 AM

This is a great price. Buy one. I promise to provide a bullet proof tutorial on setting up ArchLinux ARM, SAMBA, AirPlay, AirPrint and Google CloudPrint in the next week or two.

getbigtony 03-11-2013 10:30 AM

Pretty hot; I'm assuming for video files, it would have to be supported by your phone if that's how you're trying to use it??

MecroU 03-11-2013 10:31 AM

Bought one, thanks.

EK100 03-11-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threebeers (Post 58140530)
If you haven't yet picked up a pogo because you were scared off by the various linux discussions in the threads,, it runs great for me with its native program for my particular purpose: music files. It plays mp3 directly on my phone with no lag, and will play either by folder or itunes like by artist, etc. If you have a big hard drive full of music this is a great way to play it off your phone. It took two minutes to set up.

I know Plex is an alternative, but then you have to following its naming convention and keep your computer on. This is a stand-alone thing that sits in our basement.

I've tried some videos but it keeps wanting to convert before playing. I'll have to do some converting to native phone format first, and see if that helps.

I believe the base software does have a setting to prevent it from re-encoding. I can't open the interface from here but its in there somewhere.

Phegotgame 03-11-2013 10:33 AM

Can i use this to stream movies to my laptop? I have 2tb external hd filled with movies and such....

deaconx31 03-11-2013 10:37 AM

In for 1. I passed on. The $15 deal for the mobile version the other week, even though I knew I'd put this to good use with my external drive full of movies. Then, sure enough, I was traveling and needed new video files on my tab for the return trip. Realize for $15, this is a must have for a techie like me.

Setral 03-11-2013 10:39 AM

Was looking at the mobile one but held off, pulled the trigger on this one, thanks!

iamandrewz 03-11-2013 10:39 AM

Sorry for being really new to this, but is this basically like SlingBox, but for your files on a hard drive? Am I following this correctly? Kind of like your own personal Cloud you can access on your laptop/Phone/Tablet?

This could be a no brainer for me. Any issues with the software on a Mac?

Any advice is GREATLY appreciated.

LiquidRetro 03-11-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Google Music does this from the cloud for free . . . .

eatwell 03-11-2013 10:42 AM

Can you map this as network drive out of box or you have to install linux os?

ixijimixi 03-11-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandesar (Post 58141086)
Can you map this as network drive out of box or you have to install linux os?

It allows it right out of the box. I think it might even let you map each drive attached to it as a separate drive letter, but not sure.

Bagira 03-11-2013 10:49 AM

Very good deal for those willing to cope w/Linux.

Setral 03-11-2013 10:52 AM

Somehow managed to not see my first post... so I posted again!

big mike 03-11-2013 10:52 AM

Been wanting to play with one of these, for 15 bucks what the heck.

ixijimixi 03-11-2013 10:54 AM

I can't say enough about this toy. If you stick with stock software, you're limited to 1 logon for the remote access program (you get more if you pay for the upgraded software). Considering that my wife and I use it to store and watch photos & home videos (and some movies) from around the house, or out somewhere, 1 shared logon works fine.

I have mine wired to my router, which is also connected to my HTPC, and it runs everything off my 3TB seagate fine. I don't get much lag when I connect to it wirelessly with a laptop or phone, either. About the only problem I've noticed is that the Pogo tends to not respond if I haven't connected to it in a few days. If I toggle it off and on with the included software, it starts back up within 30 seconds.

thrash_273 03-11-2013 10:54 AM

same here. my friend got this for like $60+ .. this is a great deal. repped!

arnesr 03-11-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychokids (Post 58140364)
Yep, Archlinux ARM, sab+sickbeard+samba+openvpn install for a friends place.

The stock pogoplug software though is actually very usable and convenient for casual users

Can you link to an up to date guide on setting one of these up with Archlinux ARM, sab+sickbeard+samba? Most of what I could find online was somewhat outdated, links broken, etc. Thanks.

TWO515TY 03-11-2013 11:00 AM

I got two last time. Only using one so far, but this thing is one hell of a machine for only $15. I've got a 1 TB hard drive hooked up externally and the Pogoplug is on ArchLinuxARM running Samba (file sharing), minidlna (media streaming), and Transmission (for downloading torrents). If you need a basic setup and don't want to invest too much in a NAS, this is the way to go. Just make sure you have it hooked up to a good Gigabit network. My read and write speeds average about 30 MBps over wired connection. Some say you can a use a USB wifi adapter, but I would still recommend a wired connection if you're going to be moving files across the network.

It does require a little Linux knowledge to be truly comfortable with the setup, but it's not terribly difficult to set up either.

wjw 03-11-2013 11:03 AM

put color aside, which module is preferred? POGO-P21 or POGO-B01?

thenuke1 03-11-2013 11:11 AM

SWEET !

i have a 3TB drive full of tv shows and movies this will be perfect for my tablet, laptop, girlfriends laptop.

even on trips.... take my laptop... hook it up to tv via hdmi and BOOM good to go !

OuHiroshi 03-11-2013 11:12 AM

The biggest flaw I've ran into while using Arch Linux is that the USB drive (using EXT3) you installed your OS on will get partially corrupted if the device is shutdown unexpectedly like a power outage. Then you'll have to plug the USB drive into another Linux OS and repair it. It doesn't happen often but still pretty annoying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidRetro (Post 58141044)
Google Music does this from the cloud for free . . . .

Yeah but you'll have to upload all 50GB+ of your collect online.

frazwr01 03-11-2013 11:14 AM

Anyone know how this compares to newer models and compatibility with Pogo Cloud?

Can anyone comment on whether this device is better than the "newer" model: Amazon Link [amazon.com]

I recently subscribed to their unlimited cloud storage service, but am having a bunch of issues regarding uploading all my files (few hundred gigabytes) to their cloud servers. Basically, their cloud software (I'm running the Mac version) brings my internet speeds (not just upload) to a crawl because their app is clogging up my upload "pipe". Rather than fiddling around with trying to limit the upload bandwidth of their app through a command line modifications in Terminal and/or waiting for Pogoplug to actually fix their app (Ha!), I'm wondering if it would be just easier to buy the older (or newer) model, hook up an external drive with all of my files, and go from there. Of course, I'd want those files to be uploaded to their cloud servers for offsite storage (just to be safe).

TL; DR: Is the extra $6 worth it for the newer pogoplug model and will either model work automatically with the Pogoplug Cloud (sadly, their website doesn't seem to address this).

Thanks!

pokerstar54 03-11-2013 11:20 AM

I have a Asus RT-N66U and the file transfer speeds to Samba shares connected to the USB ports on the router leave a little bit to be desired. Would this provide faster transfer speeds?

Might get one anyway to play around with.

jbloggs 03-11-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graymen2 (Post 58140588)
This is a great price. Buy one. I promise to provide a bullet proof tutorial on setting up ArchLinux ARM, SAMBA, AirPlay, AirPrint and Google CloudPrint in the next week or two.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arnesr (Post 58141410)
Can you link to an up to date guide on setting one of these up with Archlinux ARM, sab+sickbeard+samba? Most of what I could find online was somewhat outdated, links broken, etc. Thanks.

Great, I look forward to the tutorial.

mikeclemson 03-11-2013 11:24 AM

Let's hope they fixed the issues with these catching on fire:

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/20...re-Hazard/

Fred001 03-11-2013 11:25 AM

Thanks in for one..

graymen2 03-11-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerstar54 (Post 58142046)
I have a Asus RT-N66U and the file transfer speeds to Samba shares connected to the USB ports on the router leave a little bit to be desired. Would this provide faster transfer speeds?

Yes. It sucks that a $150-170 router has 7-9MB SAMBA transfer speed versus a $15 PogoPlug which gets around 20-23MB samba.

I like to say that a PogoPlug is a perfect companion to a TomatoUSB router (I'm assuming that's what you're running on your RT-N66, if not you should). Basically you run all the stuff you wish your router could run, but can't because of the sucky CPU.

vertigomhs 03-11-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjw (Post 58141572)

Curious about this as well.

Also if the series 4 pogoplug (newer) is a better deal for 5 more dollars.

graymen2 03-11-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazwr01 (Post 58141872)
Can anyone comment on whether this device is better than the "newer" model: Amazon Link [amazon.com]

Thanks!

This is one of those time where newer is not always better. The older PogoPlug (E02, which is most likely what they'll send us) comes with more memory, 256MB, and a faster single core CPU, 1.2Ghz versus a slower dual core 700Mhz and 128MB RAM in the model you linked to.

I was a little shock when I discovered this.

pc2007 03-11-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeclemson (Post 58142164)
Let's hope they fixed the issues with these catching on fire:

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/20...re-Hazard/

This model is different from the above model. I don't think they sell any more of those video plugs.

doufu 03-11-2013 11:34 AM

Does anyone know how to automatically mount the drive in Linux? Googled but did not see complete working solutions.
Also, is there a way to hook up printer and use as internet printer(not just that email attachment ), either with the stock or Arch Linux

wjherman 03-11-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evi1d33d (Post 58141828)
The biggest flaw I've ran into while using Arch Linux is that the USB drive (using EXT3) you installed your OS on will get partially corrupted if the device is shutdown unexpectedly like a power outage. Then you'll have to plug the USB drive into another Linux OS and repair it. It doesn't happen often but still pretty annoying.

Actually you don't have to upload anything now.. they have a music match service. If its on your computer, it matches up and gives you the song without having to upload it

graymen2 03-11-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjw (Post 58141572)

Both are the same, just different color. However, chances are good that they'll send you a POGO-E02 like all the previous deals

Its very unlikely that you'll receieve a POGO-P21/B01. I've seen one of two users complain that they actually wanted the POFO-P21/B01 which has a internal SATA port (minor hacking required to get to it). However, in my opinion the E02 model is ideal since it has more memory and a faster CPU.

Omasu 03-11-2013 11:39 AM

I thought it was a pencil sharpener.

heiNey 03-11-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doufu (Post 58142416)
Does anyone know how to automatically mount the drive in Linux? Googled but did not see complete working solutions.
Also, is there a way to hook up printer and use as internet printer(not just that email attachment ), either with the stock or Arch Linux

editing /etc/fstab using the UUIDs should do it

Ostracus 03-11-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Make certain the filesystem on the stick matches what the environment variable thinks it is. Otherwise it'll work for awhile, but randomly corrupt.

thehazel 03-11-2013 11:45 AM

Question - with the Pogoplug, can you connect to a Drobo? Use this with Raspbmc? If so, can anyone direct me to a tutorial or step by step instructions? I'm primarily interested in streaming music and vids.

Thanks in advance!
Keith

minghi 03-11-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omasu (Post 58142524)
I thought it was a pencil sharpener.

definitely looks like one lol...

thenuke1 03-11-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TWO515TY (Post 58141510)
I got two last time. Only using one so far, but this thing is one hell of a machine for only $15. I've got a 1 TB hard drive hooked up externally and the Pogoplug is on ArchLinuxARM running Samba (file sharing), minidlna (media streaming), and Transmission (for downloading torrents). If you need a basic setup and don't want to invest too much in a NAS, this is the way to go. Just make sure you have it hooked up to a good Gigabit network. My read and write speeds average about 30 MBps over wired connection. Some say you can a use a USB wifi adapter, but I would still recommend a wired connection if you're going to be moving files across the network.

It does require a little Linux knowledge to be truly comfortable with the setup, but it's not terribly difficult to set up either.

WOW even better if it has usb wifi capabilities...

thats what had me on the fence... i would have to get an additional router but it i can hook up my little patriot wifi usb then im good to go as i would just want to stream off this ...

J03 03-11-2013 11:48 AM

Accidentally picked the pink over the black one. Hopefully Adorama is quick to read their messages and can change this in time.

AzWildcat 03-11-2013 11:49 AM

These things just get cheaper and cheaper! good deal

LiquidRetro 03-11-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

They have a "Match" feature now so a lot less uploading is required.

SupaSLY11 03-11-2013 11:51 AM

Would I be able to stream video files over my local network to my Western Digital Live player?

LeviathanUltima 03-11-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenuke1 (Post 58142734)
WOW even better if it has usb wifi capabilities...

thats what had me on the fence... i would have to get an additional router but it i can hook up my little patriot wifi usb then im good to go as i would just want to stream off this ...

It is running linux so there are supported wifi adapters. I am too busy to try them out. But I mean if you are using this as a NAS, then there is no need to get the wifi adapter as wireless data transfer from your other device to t the router and back to this pogo will pollute the air-wave, thus killing your transfer speed. I would only need wifi adapter if I plan to run this as another computer.

I would just keep it simple and keep it next to the router into the gigabit port for max data transfer rate

LeviathanUltima 03-11-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

If you are on gigabit network router, then yes you would get much faster transfer speed. I hear ~ USB 2.0 speed, i.e. 20-30MB/s if you are connected via wired. If you are wireless, then you will be limited by the wireless network which typically is around 10-12MB/s depending on your location respective to the wireless router. Again make sure you are on gigabit network, otherwise your speed will drop. I usually get 10-12MB/s transfer on my network on 5Ghz using Samba and NTFS 1TB formatted drive.

cobatts 03-11-2013 11:56 AM

If I get linux running on one of these, will I be able to use it as a seedbox?

coachclass 03-11-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Could you do a tutorial for installing a wireless wifi USB stick for total newbies? I have archlinux installed, but can't get the wireless USB to work.

I happen to have a Kinivo wireless USB adapter. Kinivo provides a linux driver for it, a ".bz2" file. I have no idea what to do with this file. Do I untar it first?

http://support.kinivo.com/custome...s#computer

No ideas. Any linux users here who could shed some light on the .bz2 file?

glass_05 03-11-2013 12:01 PM

Can you use this to stream video to an xbox? Moving the external HD from laptop to Xbox gets a little old.

gibsonbass 03-11-2013 12:03 PM

Does this support wireless printing on the printer without wireless support?

pc2007 03-11-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vertigomhs (Post 58142312)
Curious about this as well.

Also if the series 4 pogoplug (newer) is a better deal for 5 more dollars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by doufu (Post 58142416)

If you use Gnome/KDE/XFCE desktops, they do it for you automatically. Otherwise follow this udev rule that can do it for you. You should remove the 'TMPFILE' stuff to remove any interactive stuff though from the script though.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index....ge_Devices

coachclass 03-11-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TWO515TY (Post 58141510)
If you need a basic setup and don't want to invest too much in a NAS, this is the way to go.

Sorry to turn this into a linux tutorial, but how do you make it so your USB drive is mounted everytime on startup? There's some confusing things about how some of the methods, like fstab, can't be used anymore.

I'm a complete newbie, and just barely managed to get archlinux installed. ArchLinux is on one USB stick, while the drive I'm trying to auto mount in on another USB stick/plug.

Also, can you backup your archlinux installation by duplicating the USB drive the OS is on? I'm not sure how to do that.

atarilynx 03-11-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glass_05 (Post 58143112)
Can you use this to stream video to an xbox? Moving the external HD from laptop to Xbox gets a little old.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/1...ow-does-o/

Yes....I can watch streaming videos from my pogoplug on my xbox360 just fine.

Google for some of the gotchas though...it isn't 100% perfect

coachclass 03-11-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

I have the Asus RT-16, and I get about 2MB/s (mega Bytes) via the USB port. With the pogoplug, I get about 7MB/s. So over 3 times speed increase.

I don't know if it's the router CPU speed, amount of RAM, or the USB front end on the router that is the bottleneck, but moving the file serving/USB access duty to pogoplug is definitely faster than letting your router handle it. The pogoplug has 1.2GHz processor, my router has 400MHz. Pogoplug also has much more RAM.

Edit: I'm on a slower 100mb network. Don't have Gigabit.

darksiderising 03-11-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

How does this work as an AirPlay receiver? I don't see an Auxiliary audio plug on it.

graymen2 03-11-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darksiderising (Post 58143350)
How does this work as an AirPlay receiver? I don't see an Auxiliary audio plug on it.

You would need a USB Audio card, which you can pick up as low as a couple of dollars.

Something similar to this setup using a TomatoUSB router as a AirPlay Receiver.
http://blog.qnology.com/2012/12/t...tousb.html

Fjord 03-11-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arnesr (Post 58141410)

Installing Arch Linux and setting up everything on Plug Computers like PogoplugV2 [obihoernchen.net]

pc2007 03-11-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coachclass (Post 58143048)
Could you do a tutorial for installing a wireless wifi USB stick for total newbies? I have archlinux installed, but can't get the wireless USB to work.

I happen to have a Kinivo wireless USB adapter. Kinivo provides a linux driver for it, a ".bz2" file. I have no idea what to do with this file. Do I untar it first?

http://support.kinivo.com/custome...s#computer

No ideas. Any linux users here who could shed some light on the .bz2 file?

I took a quick look at the file. It is a compressed tar file. If you "tar" extract, you will see source code for your wifi adapter. The readme file says the source was tested with 2.4 and 2.6 kernels. It may not even compile with the latest linux source. You can try the given instructions but it requires compiling a kernel module. It would be __too much work__ for a non developer if the given source code doesn't compile with the kernel version you have!

freesoul 03-11-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graymen2 (Post 58142488)
Its very unlikely that you'll receieve a POGO-P21/B01. I've seen one of two users complain that they actually wanted the POFO-P21/B01 which has a internal SATA port (minor hacking required to get to it). However, in my opinion the E02 model is ideal since it has more memory and a faster CPU.

I'm one of those people...:D I already own 2 E02s running Arch and I was eager to try out the faster SATA port for some stuff where I need faster I/O. I got all excited last time Adorama had this deal. But then I got a third E02 when I thought I was finally laying my hand on B01...:(

darksiderising 03-11-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graymen2 (Post 58143434)
You would need a USB Audio card, which you can pick up as low as a couple of dollars.

Something similar to this setup using a TomatoUSB router as a AirPlay Receiver.
http://blog.qnology.com/2012/12/t...tousb.html

Oh that makes sense, thanks for the reply. How reliable is it using AirPlay with that kind of setup? My 1st-gen Airport Expresses have been somewhat unreliable and I have to restart them occasionally. Same thing with XBMC's Airplay receiver sometimes.

gibsonbass 03-11-2013 12:37 PM

Does this works as a print server too?

vivio 03-11-2013 12:38 PM

I use Qloud to stream my movies to my phone and google music to stream my music. Can someone please explain what the advantage of this would be? Thanks

graymen2 03-11-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darksiderising (Post 58144026)
Oh that makes sense, thanks for the reply. How reliable is it using AirPlay with that kind of setup? My 1st-gen Airport Expresses have been somewhat unreliable and I have to restart them occasionally. Same thing with XBMC's Airplay receiver sometimes.

To be honest, I actually don't listen to music that often (AirPlay or not). I just like the challenge of getting it to work. I highly doubt a hacked pogoplug is going to be more stable than an Apple OEM solution such as a Airport Express. Then again, I'm not sure about the 1st gen AirPort Express - made a little too slow or hardware is failing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by gibsonbass (Post 58144080)
Does this works as a print server too?

With ArchLinux ARM, you can run CUPS and get AirPrint and Google CloudPrint running on it (print over the internet via Chrome). And yes, you would be able to print from your MAC/PC also.

gibsonbass 03-11-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graymen2 (Post 58144284)
To be honest, I actually don't listen to music that often (AirPlay or not). I just like the challenge of getting it to work. I highly doubt a hacked pogoplug is going to be more stable than an Apple OEM solution such as a Airport Express. Then again, I'm not sure about the 1st gen AirPort Express - made a little too slow or hardware is failing?

With ArchLinux ARM, you can run CUPS and get AirPrint and Google CloudPrint running on it (print over the internet via Chrome). And yes, you would be able to print from your MAC/PC also.

Thanx for the info but for the person who is kinda noob on these things, I might not be able to set up properly.

graymen2 03-11-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gibsonbass (Post 58144374)
Thanx for the info but for the person who is kinda noob on these things, I might not be able to set up properly.

Take a look at the AirPlay tutorial I linked to earlier. If you're able to follow those instructions you shouldn't have a problem getting ArchLinuxARM and AirPlay setup on the PogoPlug. All the commands will be pretty much cut/paste.

[Edit] - Sorry, looks like your were interested in setting it up as a Print Server.

coachclass 03-11-2013 12:55 PM

Wow, best guide I've seen anywhere! Put it on the wiki for this thread!

gibsonbass 03-11-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coachclass (Post 58144502)
Wow, best guide I've seen anywhere! Put it on the wiki for this thread!

Thanx a lot... I ll check it out.

JiNaMoN 03-11-2013 01:11 PM

just an FYI for anyone trying to run this with a wdtv live plus. it drops the connection every 30 or so minutes. works fine when I connect to it with computer, tablet, phone, etc. but specifically for some reason if you set it up as a media share on wdtv live, it will drop its movie streaming every 30 minutes. I don't know if setting up ALARM on it will work any better. ive used 2 pogoplugs and it does the same thing. just a caution.

coachclass 03-11-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

The biggest flaw I've ran into while using Arch Linux is that the USB drive (using EXT3) you installed your OS on will get partially corrupted if the device is shutdown unexpectedly like a power outage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidRetro (Post 58142850)
They have a "Match" feature now so a lot less uploading is required.

What is this? I didn't know there was a problem with ArchLinux USB stick getting corrupted? Is this "match" feature something you have to install or is it built into the latest ArchLinux? Just worried that I need to do something with my current install.

thenuke1 03-11-2013 01:52 PM

just to recap

this can be used to stream files correct ?

laptop plugged in to tv via hdmi and stream away ?

beavis_2k 03-11-2013 02:04 PM

in for another, thanks op
The previous pink one I used with motion and 2 webcams as a security camera system, this will be a backup server :)

Arkus 03-11-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coachclass (Post 58143320)
I have the Asus RT-16, and I get about 2MB/s (mega Bytes) via the USB port. With the pogoplug, I get about 7MB/s. So over 3 times speed increase.

I don't know if it's the router CPU speed, amount of RAM, or the USB front end on the router that is the bottleneck, but moving the file serving/USB access duty to pogoplug is definitely faster than letting your router handle it. The pogoplug has 1.2GHz processor, my router has 400MHz. Pogoplug also has much more RAM.

USB transfer speeds are CPU bound so those differences in numbers seem reasonable.

The NFTS implementation in Linux takes a serious perfomance hit when compared to ext2/3, did you have the drives formatted in a native Linux filesystem (ext2/3) or NTFS?

EK100 03-11-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graymen2 (Post 58142344)
This is one of those time where newer is not always better. The older PogoPlug (E02, which is most likely what they'll send us) comes with more memory, 256MB, and a faster single core CPU, 1.2Ghz versus a slower dual core 700Mhz and 128MB RAM in the model you linked to.

I was a little shock when I discovered this.

The processors are two different generations of processor. The Mhz are not comparable.

The dual core is considered generally faster than the single core. But, in many cases, the extra memory is more important.

tashayar 03-11-2013 02:19 PM

Newbie question alert...

So many of you seem to be interested in using this for media applications. Would this work just fine, for someone who has an external drive plugged in which contains data files, such as Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc? Looking for something for my dad so he can access his files from multiple systems. Thanks!

LiquidRetro 03-11-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coachclass (Post 58145408)
What is this? I didn't know there was a problem with ArchLinux USB stick getting corrupted? Is this "match" feature something you have to install or is it built into the latest ArchLinux? Just worried that I need to do something with my current install.

I was talking about Google Music.

freejus 03-11-2013 02:49 PM

Does this work well as a cheap NAS that will automatically sync file changes for me?

Jhya 03-11-2013 02:51 PM

Is the pink and black reversed on the eBay listing? It says B01-Pink even though B01 is black right?

paulr24 03-11-2013 02:55 PM

I already have a Raspberry Pi and I'm just waiting to buy a case for it... what do you guys thing about this vs the Raspberry Pi if I want to use it mostly as a media/backup server, video streamer (possibly Plex, and I mostly would stream 720p MKVs)?

freejus 03-11-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jhya (Post 58147460)
Is the pink and black reversed on the eBay listing? It says B01-Pink even though B01 is black right?

Also want to know this before I pull the trigger.

freejus 03-11-2013 03:10 PM

Screw it, bought the p-21 model. Can't wait to use it at a file server to back up crap with easily. That linux stuff looks like a nightmare, but I've modded worse.

heiNey 03-11-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulr24 (Post 58147584)
I already have a Raspberry Pi and I'm just waiting to buy a case for it... what do you guys thing about this vs the Raspberry Pi if I want to use it mostly as a media/backup server, video streamer (possibly Plex, and I mostly would stream 720p MKVs)?

plex wont work for this, i've tried. plex requires too much cpu power to transcode the 720p mkv files on the fly.

im not sure about the rpi, but i doubt the arm processor can handle it. someone else might know better though.

heiNey 03-11-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenuke1 (Post 58146014)
just to recap

this can be used to stream files correct ?

laptop plugged in to tv via hdmi and stream away ?

i have the E02 pogoplug with arch linux arm on it. i then got a 7 port usb hub plugged into the pogoplug, and plugged in 5 hard drives (so far) into the hub.

installed samba so that windows computers can see the hard drives and nfs so that other linux computers can see them.

i can browse the network (or map a network drive) and the hard drives connected to the pogoplug are accessible as if they were plugged into my laptop (with ~5 sec lag if it's been more than 10 mins since i last accessed the data). after that initial lag, which i think is due to the hard drives just spinning up, it works perfectly fine for streaming multiple streams to multiple computers throughout the house.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tashayar (Post 58146644)
Newbie question alert...

So many of you seem to be interested in using this for media applications. Would this work just fine, for someone who has an external drive plugged in which contains data files, such as Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc? Looking for something for my dad so he can access his files from multiple systems. Thanks!

yes, it would work like that.

Arex 03-11-2013 03:20 PM

I got one of these devices a couple of months back with the intention of doing a SABnzb+Samba+etc. install. Still haven't gotten around to unboxing it, much less doing the whole Arch Linux thing. All those troubleshooting posts scared me off. Now it looks like they've got Plex up and running on it as well.

http://barbin.us/2013/02/setting-...-pogoplug/

Some day...

Buckoo 03-11-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tashayar (Post 58146644)
Newbie question alert...

Will work great!:nod:

nazster14 03-11-2013 03:28 PM

Can I run backtack and use alfa wireless on this?

gibsonbass 03-11-2013 03:28 PM

Does it has to be connected with the router too or it can work as standalone device connected to the storage device through wifi?

ToadKilla 03-11-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gibsonbass (Post 58148272)
Does it has to be connected with the router too or it can work as standalone device connected to the storage device through wifi?

No WiFi, unless you buy a WiFi dongle.

gibsonbass 03-11-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToadKilla (Post 58148906)
No WiFi, unless you buy a WiFi dongle.

Does any wifi dongle compatible with PC works with Pogo?

ToadKilla 03-11-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gibsonbass (Post 58148998)
Does any wifi dongle compatible with PC works with Pogo?

Not sure about that but AirLink is what works for me. I have it on Linux.

tashayar 03-11-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckoo (Post 58148168)

Thanks for taking the time to reply letting me know it should work for plain jane data files as well.

ToadKilla 03-11-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tashayar (Post 58149134)
Thanks for taking the time to reply letting me know it should work for plain jane data files as well.

If that's all really what you need, you might wanna first check your WiFi router. Most routers (at least new ones) generally come with USB port. If yours does, you don't even need this device for accessing your word/excel docs. But USB hard drive on router will not cut it for HD videos.

magnovox00 03-11-2013 05:12 PM

Yea the usb stick corruption thing is annoying. I have reinstalled at least 5 times. Trickier thing to do is access from outside your network. I have to get openvpn or something like that. Then No-ip. Samba is good. Printer i couldnt get working.

Remember: There is a difference between Archlinux and ArchlinuxARM. It maybe little differences here and there.

Starrx05 03-11-2013 05:18 PM

They must have tons of these to get rid of. I wonder if it will go lower than $15.

knee 03-11-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Any good, easy walkthroughs?

internetnerd 03-11-2013 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnovox00 (Post 58150510)
Yea the usb stick corruption thing is annoying. I have reinstalled at least 5 times. Trickier thing to do is access from outside your network. I have to get openvpn or something like that. Then No-ip. Samba is good. Printer i couldnt get working.

Remember: There is a difference between Archlinux and ArchlinuxARM. It maybe little differences here and there.

There's a big difference between the two. ARM refers to the type of CPU. Archlinux will not run on this device. ArchlinuxARM will run on this device, but will not run on your computer. A loose comparison would be golf carts and RV's.

Sarkazm 03-11-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knee (Post 58151088)

Read through the thread. There are a couple good links.

magnovox00 03-11-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by internetnerd (Post 58151498)
There's a big difference between the two. ARM refers to the type of CPU. Archlinux will not run on this device. ArchlinuxARM will run on this device, but will not run on your computer. A loose comparison would be golf carts and RV's.

The reason i mentioned it is because archlinuxARM website does not have much help info. ArchLinuxArm has links in their website that links to Archlinux which describes the packages that people can install. But those wiki pages are describing tutorials from a nonARM point of view.

knee 03-11-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarkazm (Post 58151506)
Read through the thread. There are a couple good links.

I replied to him because I am in the same situation he was in. Linux this, distro that' isn't my cup of tea. I also have a brand new Seagate Dockstar that I'd like to use in a similar capacity, but I've never used linux outside of running debian off of a disc.

QuestorJones 03-11-2013 06:51 PM

Just curious, is there any advantages to using 2 of these for a single network?

(Just hearing alot of people owning several and wondering if there are advantages since these are so cheap).

pc2007 03-11-2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

RPi has a single USB2.0 bus. Its ethernet port runs of off that USB bus. This will beat RPi hands down for streaming. But then RPi may be able to do 720p MKV streaming. This should do multiple streams at the same time though.

andy12345 03-11-2013 07:07 PM

please noticed that i owned a E02 mode. which is the single core with 256m ram one. you dont have to install archlinuxarm in order to have samba server. it is possible to side load samba sever without losing the original pogoplug functionality. if you plug in a hdd, you can access files on it from anywhere using the pogoplug web interface, or you can browse files locally on lan with samba without installing any software. you need to ssh to pogoplug 1st, install ipkg, then install samba, after that, you have samba server running. I personally install these right on the onboard Nand-flash, and i chose samba version 3 for a better foreign-fonts support capability. one last thing, add sockets option and write cache of 4mb to the smb.conf file does increase the write performance abit, i am getting around 22mbyte/s write speed and 26mbyte/s read speed between pogo and desktop both wired connected to a Gigabit router.

jkgm 03-11-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freesoul (Post 58143728)
I'm one of those people...:D I already own 2 E02s running Arch and I was eager to try out the faster SATA port for some stuff where I need faster I/O. I got all excited last time Adorama had this deal. But then I got a third E02 when I thought I was finally laying my hand on B01...:(

Hmm, maybe I should consider reselling my spare B01... :bounce:

pokerstar54 03-11-2013 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graymen2 (Post 58142242)
Yes. It sucks that a $150-170 router has 7-9MB SAMBA transfer speed versus a $15 PogoPlug which gets around 20-23MB samba.

I like to say that a PogoPlug is a perfect companion to a TomatoUSB router (I'm assuming that's what you're running on your RT-N66, if not you should). Basically you run all the stuff you wish your router could run, but can't because of the sucky CPU.

I am not running tomato yet. Every time I read a router SD I see tomato and Dd-wrt, just yet to read up on either. Thanks for the reply, I'll look into it!

coachclass 03-11-2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToadKilla (Post 58149050)
Not sure about that but AirLink is what works for me. I have it on Linux.

Which airlink? Link?

It's weird there isn't more definitive info on installing wireless USB adapters. The folks using Raspberry seem to post more info about it than the pogoplug people. I guess it's difficult because USB adapters are all different.

t588t588 03-11-2013 08:08 PM

I bought one last time was on the Slickdeals. It is a nice one. I use the basic original software to share file and pictures and movies. I also can use Media Player (similar to WD Media Player) to play movie by UPnP. But the problem is that after playing the movie for about an hour, the link will suddenly lose and says "no file found". You just need to re-search the Hard Drive on pogoplug from the Media Player again. Dose anyone have this problem? Can anyone share that he can play a movie from network connected BD player or Media Player for 2 hours without drop the connection.

Thanks.

coachclass 03-11-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arkus (Post 58146408)
USB transfer speeds are CPU bound so those differences in numbers seem reasonable.

The NFTS implementation in Linux takes a serious perfomance hit when compared to ext2/3, did you have the drives formatted in a native Linux filesystem (ext2/3) or NTFS?

Hey, I just read about that. There's supposedly a fix or something to improve it too, when I have more time I'll need to investigate it. All my spare drives are NTFS, so I'm probably not going to go through the trouble of reformatting everything.

Too bad windows XP doesn't recognize Ext3 natively. I'm running windows 7, but my other PC is WinXP, and it's nice to have a format that can be natively read by PC you might access them with.

slan 03-11-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy12345 (Post 58152800)
please noticed that i owned a E02 mode. which is the single core with 256m ram one. you dont have to install archlinuxarm in order to have samba server. it is possible to side load samba sever without losing the original pogoplug functionality. if you plug in a hdd, you can access files on it from anywhere using the pogoplug web interface, or you can browse files locally on lan with samba without installing any software. you need to ssh to pogoplug 1st, install ipkg, then install samba, after that, you have samba server running. I personally install these right on the onboard Nand-flash, and i chose samba version 3 for a better foreign-fonts support capability. one last thing, add sockets option and write cache of 4mb to the smb.conf file does increase the write performance abit, i am getting around 22mbyte/s write speed and 26mbyte/s read speed between pogo and desktop both wired connected to a Gigabit router.

can you give some instructions on how to install samba3 on the side?
i was able to install samba2 but read somewhere that you needed to add a swap file or something to get samba3 working...
im a linux noob so simplified instructions would help =)

thanks.

ToadKilla 03-11-2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coachclass (Post 58153692)
Which airlink? Link?

It's weird there isn't more definitive info on installing wireless USB adapters. The folks using Raspberry seem to post more info about it than the pogoplug people. I guess it's difficult because USB adapters are all different.

http://www.amazon.com/AirLink101-...B003X26PMO

SGS-1 03-11-2013 09:21 PM

Quote:

Looking forward to this tutorial!! Thanks
The more noobish the better lol.

Farty_pants 03-11-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slan (Post 58154608)
Quote from andy12345 :please noticed that i owned a E02 mode. which is the single core with 256m ram one. you dont have to install archlinuxarm in order to have samba server. it is possible to side load samba sever without losing the original pogoplug functionality. if you plug in a hdd, you can access files on it from anywhere using the pogoplug web interface, or you can browse files locally on lan with samba without installing any software. you need to ssh to pogoplug 1st, install ipkg, then install samba, after that, you have samba server running. I personally install these right on the onboard Nand-flash, and i chose samba version 3 for a better foreign-fonts support capability. one last thing, add sockets option and write cache of 4mb to the smb.conf file does increase the write performance abit, i am getting around 22mbyte/s write speed and 26mbyte/s read speed between pogo and desktop both wired connected to a Gigabit router.

i was able to install samba2 but read somewhere that you needed to add a swap file or something to get samba3 working...

thanks.

I would be interested as well.

fi3nom 03-11-2013 09:30 PM

Can this stream 720p .mkv files? Looking to get a device to replace using my ps3 to stream media files.

NobleCrusader 03-11-2013 09:38 PM

I bought the black one a few weeks ago with the intent of making my own Dropbox with limitless capacity for my business. I have no time to do science experiments with it (Linux, Plex, etc.)

To say that I'm disappointed would be an understatement.
1) When the sync software that comes with it (Pogo Sync Companion I think it's called) is finished syncing, it seems to forget that fact and indicates that nothing is synced.

2) Folders containing photos, and the photos themselves, are all renamed to the dates and years that they were shot. The "Beach Trip" photo folder, for example, becomes "2012". Bizarre and maddening.

3) It requires that all videos undergo a conversion before playing. Then, when you try to do the conversion, the Pogo interface just aborts.

Very disappointed! :(

Maybe buy it if you're a tinkerer with nothing better to do, but think otherwise if you have business needs.

Anybody have any suggestions to help? :confused:

freejus 03-11-2013 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whuzizname (Post 58155672)
I bought the black one a few weeks ago with the intent of making my own Dropbox with limitless capacity for my business. I have no time to do science experiments with it (Linux, Plex, etc.)

1) When the sync software that comes with it (Pogo Sync Companion I think it's called) is finished syncing, it seems to forget that fact and indicates that nothing is synced.

2) Folders containing photos, and the photos themselves, are all renamed to the dates and years that they were shot. The "Beach Trip" photo folder, for example, becomes "2012". Bizarre and maddening.

3) It requires that all videos undergo a conversion before playing. Then, when you try to do the conversion, the Pogo interface just aborts.

Maybe buy it if you're a tinkerer with nothing better to do, but think otherwise if you have business needs.

Yes, get a real NAS and write off the expense.

NobleCrusader 03-11-2013 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freejus (Post 58155738)
Yes, get a real NAS and write off the expense.

So you're saying that it really won't do what it is marketed to do "out of the box"?

TWO515TY 03-11-2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coachclass (Post 58143220)
Sorry to turn this into a linux tutorial, but how do you make it so your USB drive is mounted everytime on startup? There's some confusing things about how some of the methods, like fstab, can't be used anymore.

I'm a complete newbie, and just barely managed to get archlinux installed. ArchLinux is on one USB stick, while the drive I'm trying to auto mount in on another USB stick/plug.

Also, can you backup your archlinux installation by duplicating the USB drive the OS is on? I'm not sure how to do that.

Sorry for my late response, I just got home from work.

See this post here:

http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/vie...=10#p24167

Once you run those commands, it should automatically mount whatever USB drives you plug in under the /media/ directory.

I'm not sure about backing up the installation, I usually just format and do a fresh install if I can't get it to boot.

airbratv2 03-11-2013 10:06 PM

Just a heads up, the transcoding is painfully slow and expect to be disappointed if you're going to connect your Xbox. All my movies (over 400) are sorted into their respective sub-folder, ordered by genre. For reasons unknown the Pogoplug will take ALL movies and dump it into one folder.

This is a known issue on their website/forum and taking forever to be addressed.

graymen2 03-11-2013 10:20 PM

I don't recall anyone in this thread saying buy this because its a awesome (out of the box) product.

I own like 6 of these things and to be honest, I don't even know what the native software actual does or even look like.

Its a tinker's toy. Don't buy this unless you plan to install linux on it. Plain and simple. It's similar to the router deals that pops up, don't buy it unless you plan to install dd-wrt or TomatoUSB.

hightop32 03-11-2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whuzizname (Post 58155672)

while capable enough to serve your basic needs, if this is for your business you MIGHT want to invest a little more than $15. Also, get an IT/technical person and slowly back away :) ;)

NobleCrusader 03-11-2013 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hightop32 (Post 58156528)
while capable enough to serve your basic needs, if this is for your business you MIGHT want to invest a little more than $15. Also, get an IT/technical person and slowly back away :) ;)

I'm a one-man small business operation. When I call the IT guy, that means that I'm "it"! :lmao:

freesoul 03-11-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnovox00 (Post 58150510)
Yea the usb stick corruption thing is annoying. I have reinstalled at least 5 times. Trickier thing to do is access from outside your network. I have to get openvpn or something like that. Then No-ip. Samba is good. Printer i couldnt get working..

That happened to me, too. But I was able to pull out the boot drive, connect it to a Ubuntu box, run fsck and fix the problem. Afterwards Arch boots up just fine. Didn't need to do a fresh installation at all.

On a side note. I was having tremendous amount of problems setting up debian on pogoplugs. The same set of hardware (pogo+usb hdd/flash drive) runs Arch perfectly fine, but would never boot into debian. I know it's a known issue the debian can only run on certain brands/models of flash drives. But it's really weird since Arch is actually using the same uboot.

coachclass 03-11-2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graymen2 (Post 58156406)
I don't recall anyone in this thread saying buy this because its a awesome (out of the box) product.

I own like 6 of these things and to be honest, I don't even know what the native software actual does or even look like.

Its a tinker's toy. Don't buy this unless you plan to install linux on it. Plain and simple. It's similar to the router deals that pops up, don't buy it unless you plan to install dd-wrt or TomatoUSB.

Well...it works OK as a cloud storage device. Don't need to totally rag on the factory firmware. It's just that the hardware is capable of being more when you install Linux on it. But $15 for basic cloud storage at home is still pretty good deal.

yazyazoo 03-11-2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t588t588 (Post 58153938)
I bought one last time was on the Slickdeals. It is a nice one. I use the basic original software to share file and pictures and movies. I also can use Media Player (similar to WD Media Player) to play movie by UPnP. But the problem is that after playing the movie for about an hour, the link will suddenly lose and says "no file found". You just need to re-search the Hard Drive on pogoplug from the Media Player again. Dose anyone have this problem? Can anyone share that he can play a movie from network connected BD player or Media Player for 2 hours without drop the connection.

Thanks.

Someone mentioned the same problem with WDTV with their hacked pogo plug. A few threads back.

slugbom 03-11-2013 11:04 PM

I will never get why these are so popular. Not with multiple computer households and DLNA and gaming consoles and.. just about everything under the sun that's useful besides this rubbish.

magnovox00 03-11-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freesoul (Post 58157058)
That happened to me, too. But I was able to pull out the boot drive, connect it to a Ubuntu box, run fsck and fix the problem. Afterwards Arch boots up just fine. Didn't need to do a fresh installation at all.

On a side note. I was having tremendous amount of problems setting up debian on pogoplugs. The same set of hardware (pogo+usb hdd/flash drive) runs Arch perfectly fine, but would never boot into debian. I know it's a known issue the debian can only run on certain brands/models of flash drives. But it's really weird since Arch is actually using the same uboot.

Thanks for the info. Ill try fsck next time.

freesoul 03-11-2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slan (Post 58154608)

thanks.

to add swap with optware:

http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/H...lSwapSpace

slugbom 03-11-2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hightop32 (Post 58156528)

What about that gizmo that was on here a couple weeks ago for $30 that just displays whatever is on your computer screen wirelessly?

How are those? Are those laggy?

I see zero application for this item even if you are using it home. I don't care what firmware you put on it. Same goes for all the popcorn time and himedia contraptions.. All a waste.

Do it with a laptop networked.

magnovox00 03-11-2013 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slugbom (Post 58157276)
I will never get why these are so popular. Not with multiple computer households and DLNA and gaming consoles and.. just about everything under the sun that's useful besides this rubbish.

This item uses less electricity. And you can set it up with printers(network printer), NAS, and dlna and consoles instead of having a huge system running 24/7. You can set up a web server and connect your domain to it. $15 for a computer is a good deal compared to $60 router with nas if you setup the pogoplug correctly.

slickuserABC 03-11-2013 11:19 PM

The issue that I'm having currently with the pogoplug is that sometimes the filesystem could get corruped ( for example after a power outage or after I plug off the power cable ). In that case I was wondering if just a simple mount and copy of my already configured Arch to my linux desktop will be ok as a backup solution? I will mount the usb stick and copy back when the filsystem gets corruped. Anybody having experience with backing up the Arched pogo? Using some automated backup solution?

atrix415 03-12-2013 01:20 AM

sad that I have some Raspberry Pi to play with so I pass on these. :) Rep Good Price.

uscpsycho 03-12-2013 01:22 AM

For file serving what's the advantage of installing Linux over running it stock?
Quote:

Originally Posted by heiNey (Post 58148032)
i have the E02 pogoplug with arch linux arm on it. i then got a 7 port usb hub plugged into the pogoplug, and plugged in 5 hard drives (so far) into the hub.

installed samba so that windows computers can see the hard drives and nfs so that other linux computers can see them.

i can browse the network (or map a network drive) and the hard drives connected to the pogoplug are accessible as if they were plugged into my laptop (with ~5 sec lag if it's been more than 10 mins since i last accessed the data). after that initial lag, which i think is due to the hard drives just spinning up, it works perfectly fine for streaming multiple streams to multiple computers throughout the house.

Can you do this with the stock firmware?
Quote:

Actually, numerous people have said it is fine with the stock firmware.

And saying that you shouldn't by a router unless you plan to install dd-wrt or Tomato is probably one of the dumbest things I've read on SD ever. And I've been on SD a long time.

atrix415 03-12-2013 01:22 AM

Quote:

You can run the video directly without transcoding. I am using one of my RPi as a Samba-DLNA server plus other things.

edit: you need to attach a USB hard drive to one of the ports.

yazyazoo 03-12-2013 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uscpsycho (Post 58159028)

Numerous people have said it is fine with the stock firmware.

And saying that you shouldn't by a router unless you plan to install dd-wrt or Tomato is probably one of the dumbest things I've read on SD ever. And I've been on SD a long time.

I think with stock fw you can add a hub to increase drives. I put ArchLinux for a couple reasons rather than stay stock.

Stock you need to install Pogo software whichever computer is going to access it. I THINK there may be a limit of 5 computers. Also to access your own files it goes thru Pogoplug's servers. That is why some say if Pogoplug goes out of business your Pogo is useless unless you hack it. Also this uses some of your bandwith if you have a cap from a provider. So if your cable modem went out then you wouldn't have acess to your file sover the Pogo you will need to unplug it and put it into your PC

The second to last paragraph from Dietrich
http://gigaom.com/2009/05/22/how-pogoplug-works/

I am almost done setting mine this weekend up with ArchLinux.

Samba for file serving at my house (no need for Pogo software)
Sabnzbd
sickbeard
Couchpotato

I think this thing uses only 3w and my USB external sized desktop drive uses 4-5 watt when being accessed. Nice low power unit to serve and get my movies.

Took me about two weeks to get this far and should be almost done with a few more tweaks.

Bagira 03-12-2013 01:45 AM

Quote:

Absolutely.

The lemmings do not know what to do with this marvelous devices.
Someone had mentioned it has been a loss leader for the Clouds.
Smart people, get it, you will enjoy it.
lemmings, don't bother, you will regret the purchase :D

Quote:

For file serving what's the advantage of installing Linux over running it stock?

Really.
You've been a long time on SD, yet you have learned nothing.
No offense, just the pure facts, buddy. :lol:

DD-WRT and/or Tomato turn your $30-$50 router into the $500-$600 router by the amount of the features and what Cisco/Linksys are selling those routers to the corporate customers.

ArchLinux+Samba turn the $15 Pogoplug device into the NAS device. Some other companies sell the same devices, nicely packed, for $300-$400 to the uneducated consumer.

Something like that :D

jhonka 03-12-2013 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slickuserABC (Post 58157602)
The issue that I'm having currently with the pogoplug is that sometimes the filesystem could get corruped ( for example after a power outage or after I plug off the power cable ). In that case I was wondering if just a simple mount and copy of my already configured Arch to my linux desktop will be ok as a backup solution? I will mount the usb stick and copy back when the filsystem gets corruped. Anybody having experience with backing up the Arched pogo? Using some automated backup solution?

You can backup and restore your USB boot disk by plugging it into your computer as you have described. Ideally, shutdown the device before unplugging to avoid corruption. (you can ssh into Arch Linux ARM and type "poweroff" without quotes, then wait a bit for it to turn off, I think)

If you are technically inclined there is an rsync backup script on the Arch Linux wiki:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index....with_rsync

As I've said before, this thing kicks serious arse! Get one if you're a geek like me.

MonEl 03-12-2013 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenuke1 (Post 58141798)
SWEET !

i have a 3TB drive full of tv shows and movies this will be perfect for my tablet, laptop, girlfriends laptop.

even on trips.... take my laptop... hook it up to tv via hdmi and BOOM good to go !

Uhmmmm....couldn't you have done this anyway with a small external hard drive you took along with you and plugged into your laptop when needed ?

douglasbarbin 03-12-2013 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonEl (Post 58161686)
Uhmmmm....couldn't you have done this anyway with a small external hard drive you took along with you and plugged into your laptop when needed ?

1. You would have to carry the external hard drive everywhere. No thanks.
2. Maybe you want to access a file remotely from your phone. To do that with most phones and an external USB drive, you'd need a male micro-USB to female USB adapter, then the external drive's USB plug. No thanks.
3. You can plug multiple drives into these things.
4. You can install Arch Linux or Debian on these things.
5. You can set these things up as media servers, web servers, etc.
6. I could go on and on...

deals2dream 03-12-2013 07:41 AM

in for one. not a computer geek but i was thinking i can access my mp3 files from WD passport to my ipod touch (wifi connected at work) to listen the music. can any one comment ? I am no expert to reload any linux software on this. I will use it as received.

MonEl 03-12-2013 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by douglasbarbin (Post 58161862)
1. You would have to carry the external hard drive everywhere. No thanks.
2. Maybe you want to access a file remotely from your phone. To do that with most phones and an external USB drive, you'd need a male micro-USB to female USB adapter, then the external drive's USB plug. No thanks.
3. You can plug multiple drives into these things.
4. You can install Arch Linux or Debian on these things.
5. You can set these things up as media servers, web servers, etc.
6. I could go on and on...

You make all good points of course. I was just commenting that to watch movies on his laptop he could have just used a small external HD anytime even without internet access. I have an inexpensive external HD so small and light it can easily fit in my laptop case and holds 500 GB. But if you need all those other features you mentioned, of course it's not the solution. Still you will always need internet access to use it. My little HD doesn't.

graymen2 03-12-2013 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coachclass (Post 58157086)
Well...it works OK as a cloud storage device. Don't need to totally rag on the factory firmware. It's just that the hardware is capable of being more when you install Linux on it. But $15 for basic cloud storage at home is still pretty good deal.

I didn't mean to sound like I was ragging on the factory firmware. I admitted I never even used it.

Quote:

My point is no one is raving about this device for its out of box features. Its more like, for $15 bucks is not bad (e.g., fine). See above ("OK").

However, install ArchLinux on it and you have a awesome device.

I didn't want to sound like some crazy PogoPlug salesman, but...

NAS/SAMBA - It gets 20-23MB transfer rate as compared to a Asus RT-N66 (top of the line $150 router) which gets 8-12MB. My Asus RT-N16 gets 7MB tops (ext2/ext3).
Apple TimeMachine backup? Yes its possible
AirPlay Receiver? Yes. Plug in a USB audio adapter and some computer speakers and you have DIY AirPlay System. Take it up a level by geting a $20 lepai amp and some decent bookshelf speakers.
Print Server? Yes, plug any USB printer into it and now its accessible from the network
AirPrint, print from your IOS device to your current usb printer? yes
CloudPrint, print from anywhere over the internet via Chrome with no computer running 24/7. Yes
MPD music server - yes
MDLNA - yes
Plug in a webcam and set it up as a motion detection system? yes
BitTorrent/SABNZBD/CouchPotato/SB client? Yup. What device can do this for $15?

A couple of side projects I'm working on with my spare pogoplug - OwnCloud (personal cloud) and PogoPlog+HDHOMERUN=DVR

Quote:

Seriously? Lots of routers have decent hardware but really horrible firmware, which retailers dump for cheap. Installing Tomato or DD-WRT turns the router into a completely new device.

MonEl 03-12-2013 07:56 AM

Doesn't accessing the hard drives through this devices USB 2 connections make it pretty slow ? For instance can you really watch a movie without delay problems? Or is that not an issue?

john94si 03-12-2013 08:25 AM

In for one..but only PINK is available now

yazyazoo 03-12-2013 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graymen2 (Post 58162272)
I didn't mean to sound like I was ragging on the factory firmware. I admitted I never even used it.

My point is no one is raving about this device for its out of box features. Its more like, for $15 bucks is not bad (e.g., fine). See above ("OK").

However, install ArchLinux on it and you have a awesome device.

I didn't want to sound like some crazy PogoPlug salesman, but...

NAS/SAMBA - It gets 20-23MB transfer rate as compared to a Asus RT-N66 (top of the line $150 router) which gets 8-12MB. My Asus RT-N16 gets 7MB tops (ext2/ext3).
Apple TimeMachine backup? Yes its possible
AirPlay Receiver? Yes. Plug in a USB audio adapter and some computer speakers and you have DIY AirPlay System. Take it up a level by geting a $20 lepai amp and some decent bookshelf speakers.
Print Server? Yes, plug any USB printer into it and now its accessible from the network
AirPrint, print from your IOS device to your current usb printer? yes
CloudPrint, print from anywhere over the internet via Chrome with no computer running 24/7. Yes
MPD music server - yes
MDLNA - yes
Plug in a webcam and set it up as a motion detection system? yes
BitTorrent/SABNZBD/CouchPotato/SB client? Yup. What device can do this for $15?

A couple of side projects I'm working on with my spare pogoplug - OwnCloud (personal cloud) and PogoPlog+HDHOMERUN=DVR

Seriously? Lots of routers have decent hardware but really horrible firmware, which retailers dump for cheap. Installing Tomato or DD-WRT turns the router into a completely new device.

Is there a list of printers working with aircloud and cloudprint? What is your Hdhomerun project? Is the Pogo strong enough to record?

Elpee 03-12-2013 08:44 AM

I have read thru out this thread, but couldn't figure out any that fully answered my question.
Doen't matter software/firmware I have to intall on this device such as ArchLinux, Samba, blah .. blah... or keep default Pogo software, can I use it as NAS so that hooked up drives are available to windows PC, wdtv live, or anyother device over my network AND my android smartphone, my wife's iPhone5 , my children's tablets can share, upload, download music, video, ...where ever we are (out of state or even from overseas)?
Thank you for your prompt reply. Much appreciate it.

Shoppy 03-12-2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonEl (Post 58162152)
You make all good points of course. I was just commenting that to watch movies on his laptop he could have just used a small external HD anytime even without internet access. I have an inexpensive external HD so small and light it can easily fit in my laptop case and holds 500 GB. But if you need all those other features you mentioned, of course it's not the solution. Still you will always need internet access to use it. My little HD doesn't.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonEl (Post 58162380)
Doesn't accessing the hard drives through this devices USB 2 connections make it pretty slow ? For instance can you really watch a movie without delay problems? Or is that not an issue?

Really? You do realize that with your "inexpensive external HD so small and light..." that you are plugged in through USB 2.0. Ok, maybe you have a newer laptop and use USB 3.0, but people have been getting by just fine with USB 2.0 for media sharing. As graymen2 says, he gets 20-23MB/s from his - that equates to 1.2GB per minute, more than enough for watching video. In fact, you could stream different videos to different users and still be ok.

Kirklandman 03-12-2013 09:06 AM

Plex Integration

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bagira (Post 58159186)
Absolutely.

Really.

DD-WRT and/or Tomato turn your $30-$50 router into the $500-$600 router by the amount of the features and what Cisco/Linksys are selling those routers to the corporate customers.

ArchLinux+Samba turn the $15 Pogoplug device into the NAS device. Some other companies sell the same devices, nicely packed, for $300-$400 to the uneducated consumer.

I am going to give this a shot but am new to Linux. How could Plex fit into the ArchLinux picture? Or would just going stock be the best option?

Bagira 03-12-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirklandman (Post 58163984)
I am going to give this a shot but am new to Linux. How could Plex fit into the ArchLinux picture? Or would just going stock be the best option?

No, going stock is not the best option :)
Once you have ArchLinux+Samba installed, you simply tell Plex that your video etc. files are located on the server [X], where [X] is the MAc/Windows share of your Pogoplug machine. Really easy.

douglasbarbin 03-12-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yazyazoo (Post 58163418)
Is there a list of printers working with aircloud and cloudprint? What is your Hdhomerun project? Is the Pogo strong enough to record?

I have two of these and love them. That being said, they probably aren't strong enough to transcode video. If you are recording via a TV tuner card or something like that, and then simply dropping the file off (in whatever native format) onto the PogoPlug, then it will be fine. If you are trying to use the PogoPlug to do the transcoding, I don't think it can handle that.

Kirklandman 03-12-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bagira (Post 58164090)
No, going stock is not the best option :)
Once you have ArchLinux+Samba installed, you simply tell Plex that your video etc. files are located on the server [X], where [X] is the MAc/Windows share of your Pogoplug machine. Really easy.

Thanks for the quick reply. I got one, they were down to only Pink though... I'll live.

Can you explain one last thing? I'm currently using Plex, I can stream to anywhere and I am familiar with and am using assigned external USB storage and Network drives as my source files for movie streaming and that is all fine but my PC has to be on to stream Plex so that is a drawback.

With the Pogoplug, how would that change? Would you use Samba to do streaming? I'm sure once I get the ArchLinux and Samba installed it will become clearer but any insight from a seasoned user of the Pogoplug would give me a clearer idea of what I can achieve.

freesoul 03-12-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elpee (Post 58163496)
I have read thru out this thread, but couldn't figure out any that fully answered my question.
Doen't matter software/firmware I have to intall on this device such as ArchLinux, Samba, blah .. blah... or keep default Pogo software, can I use it as NAS so that hooked up drives are available to windows PC, wdtv live, or anyother device over my network AND my android smartphone, my wife's iPhone5 , my children's tablets can share, upload, download music, video, ...where ever we are (out of state or even from overseas)?
Thank you for your prompt reply. Much appreciate it.

If you only need is as a simple NAS, you don't really need to install Arch Linus/Debian to be honest. Instead you can install optware with the stock software and then load Samba and/or Transmission. There are tons of step-by-step tutorials out there on the internet. Something like this one:
http://aaronrandall.com/blog/inst...-pogoplug/

Of course there are limitations like you're only running Samba2 so you might have issues with files larger than 2GB, but in general it's good enough for regular use. On the other hand there are still advantages about this setup (using the stock software but not Arch or Debian). If you need to access your files over the internet you simply use the stock software or go thru the pogoplug.com website and you don't need to set up VPN. This is particularly helpful in situations where you don't have control over the LAN settings such as your office. In fact I have one set this way in my workplace so I can work at other places while still have access to my data stored there.

Bagira 03-12-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirklandman (Post 58164568)
Thanks for the quick reply. I got one, they were down to only Pink though... I'll live.

Can you explain one last thing? I'm currently using Plex, I can stream to anywhere and I am familiar with and am using assigned external USB storage and Network drives as my source files for movie streaming and that is all fine but my PC has to be on to stream Plex so that is a drawback.

With the Pogoplug, how would that change? Would you use Samba to do streaming? I'm sure once I get the ArchLinux and Samba installed it will become clearer but any insight from a seasoned user of the Pogoplug would give me a clearer idea of what I can achieve.

No, it won't change. You still have to have PC or Mac running as a server, and it has to be capable of transcoding if you want to see your video on your Android devices etc.
All the Pogo will give you is NAS - network-attached server.
Pogo CPU is not powerful enough for the transcoding.

graymen2 03-12-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by douglasbarbin (Post 58164250)
I have two of these and love them. That being said, they probably aren't strong enough to transcode video. If you are recording via a TV tuner card or something like that, and then simply dropping the file off (in whatever native format) onto the PogoPlug, then it will be fine. If you are trying to use the PogoPlug to do the transcoding, I don't think it can handle that.

As someone pointed out, you can actually run a Plex Server on the pogoplug. A good use case for this would be to share/access your music library (via Plex) over the internet. I guess you can also direct stream/play ( I don't recall technical plex term) to your plex client with the big assumption that all your movie/video is supported natively (no transcoding) on your client device. The pogoplug would be acting just like a file server in this case.

Bagira 03-12-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freesoul (Post 58164618)
If you only need is as a simple NAS, you don't really need to install Arch Linus/Debian to be honest. Instead you can install optware with the stock software and then load Samba and/or Transmission. There are tons of step-by-step tutorials out there on the internet. Something like this one:

Of course there are limitations like you're only running Samba2 so you might have issues with files larger than 2GB,.

Not true. Samba does not have 2GB file size limitation, at least not anymore.
It was the case in the past, but it has been resolved long time ago.
Your file system "might" have 2GB file limitation, but it is not Samba's fault.

yazyazoo 03-12-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirklandman (Post 58163984)

Plex requires transcoding on you clients unless they can use direct streamin option. The transcoding requires a 2.ghz dual core PC to do it. However I don't want to leave a PC on all the time.

I am putting all my movies on the Arch with Samba. I use XBMC on my clients at home which can read from SAMBA server without transcoding. However your XBMC client needs to support DXVA2 to decode the HD picture. XBMC is only availabile for IOS if you jailbreak.

When I want to use Plex I setup in my router Wake On Lan to waske up my i3 PC. I really only use Plex when outside of the LAN or away from home. I setup the a WOL app for IOS and Android. I can remotely wake up the PC strong enough to transcode to my tablet or phone. After watching a movie the computer goes to sleep thus saving energy.

There are a couple of iOS and Android free WOL apps. You need to use some kind of DNS service supported by your router.

douglasbarbin 03-12-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graymen2 (Post 58164804)
As someone pointed out, you can actually run a Plex Server on the pogoplug. A good use case for this would be to share/access your music library (via Plex) over the internet. I guess you can also direct stream/play ( I don't recall technical plex term) to your plex client with the big assumption that all your movie/video is supported natively (no transcoding) on your client device. The pogoplug would be acting just like a file server in this case.

Oh really? Like this: http://barbin.us/2013/02/setting-...-pogoplug/ ?

(That's my site :lol:)

In my case, I use Plex to stream to a couple of Roku boxes. Transcoding is not supported by the Roku, so everything must be in MP4 for the Roku to read it.

The post I was replying to was asking about RECORDING video using the PogoPlug, not streaming it.

MonEl 03-12-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoppy (Post 58163602)
Really? You do realize that with your "inexpensive external HD so small and light..." that you are plugged in through USB 2.0. Ok, maybe you have a newer laptop and use USB 3.0, but people have been getting by just fine with USB 2.0 for media sharing. As graymen2 says, he gets 20-23MB/s from his - that equates to 1.2GB per minute, more than enough for watching video. In fact, you could stream different videos to different users and still be ok.

No need to take this personally. Are you related to the Pogoplug or something ? If I connect a USB drive directly to a laptop it doesn't include the other added factors to slow it down like wireless connection speed, internet connection speed and so on. And, yes, I do use a small USB 3 portable drive. But, hey, if you love this thing than enjoy it and more power to you. If it's as good as you all say I may get one too when it has USB3 on it instead of outdated technology.

Elpee 03-12-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bagira (Post 58164948)
Not true. Samba does not have 2GB file size limitation, at least not anymore.
It was the case in the past, but it has been resolved long time ago.
Your file system "might" have 2GB file limitation, but it is not Samba's fault.

Are you sure? What do you mean 'file system' here? it's Linux on this device or Windows on our home PCs? Yes, I'm so afraid b/c technicaly most of my movies .mkv files those I ripped from my collection bluray disc are biger then 4GB. Thanks.

graymen2 03-12-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by douglasbarbin (Post 58165282)
Oh really? Like this: http://barbin.us/2013/02/setting-...-pogoplug/ ?

(That's my site :lol:)

In my case, I use Plex to stream to a couple of Roku boxes. Transcoding is not supported by the Roku, so everything must be in MP4 for the Roku to read it.

The post I was replying to was asking about RECORDING video using the PogoPlug, not streaming it.

That's awesome! Great blog/tutorial!

Regarding recording video to the pogoplug, (my comment on PogoPlug + HDHomeRun), I was looking at using mythbackend or tvheadend. And yes, the stream would be recorded natively. Commercial cutting or re-encoding will have to be done else where.

webjock 03-12-2013 10:09 AM

If you guys want to know how fast these things are, you can read these blog posts with some benchmarks of them running ArchLinux:

http://fortysomethinggeek.blogspo...g-and.html

and a review of the new V4 ($60) one using SATA

http://fortysomethinggeek.blogspo...eview.html

They're fast enough to share videos to 2-3 computers. 23 MB/sec is enough to serve HD videos.

I'd get the E02 model if possible.

graymen2 03-12-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Not sure, but if you have a fairly standard laser jet (HP, Brother, Samsung) it would mostly be supported. Some obscured off brand inkjet, probably not. Google Linux + Printer Name + CUPS.

graymen2 03-12-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by webjock (Post 58165596)
If you guys want to know how fast these things are, you can read these blog posts with some benchmarks of them running ArchLinux:

http://fortysomethinggeek.blogspo...g-and.html

and a review of the new V4 ($60) one using SATA

http://fortysomethinggeek.blogspo...eview.html

They're fast enough to share videos to 2-3 computers. 23 MB/sec is enough to serve HD videos.

I'd get the E02 model if possible.

Hey, that's a couple of great blog posting! Are you the author by any chance? I have the PogoPlug V4 and was really disappointed with the USB 3.0 performance also. I like the form factor though (USM dock). Note that the tests proves my point that the older version (E02, most likely what you'll get in this thread) is better/best versus the newer models.

Bagira 03-12-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elpee (Post 58165484)
Are you sure? What do you mean 'file system' here? it's Linux on this device or Windows on our home PCs? Yes, I'm so afraid b/c technicaly most of my movies .mkv files those I ripped from my collection bluray disc are biger then 4GB. Thanks.

Yes, I am pretty sure, since I have several Pogos w/ArchLinux+Samba with files over 2GB size limit.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=samba+2GB+fi...limitation :)

And from the links:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/que...gb-654535/

"2 GB is the typical file size limit in FAT32. It is also a limit in CD-ROM file systems in the traditional format. CD-ROM file size limit can be doubled by using UDF format.

You might experience a 2 GB file size limit in other file systems such as NTFS or even ext2 if you don't have a generous number of inodes and/or if your partition cluster size is too small. (Mainly cluster size). This issue can cause various limits of file sizes. I have experienced a 17 GB file size limit in ext2/ext3 when I deliberately formatted a file system with a 1024 byte cluster size.

So there you are. The issue is about what file system format you are using and the number of inodes and the disk block cluster size. (Mainly the cluster size ). These characteristics work together to form a limit on file size.

The resolution is either to NOT use FAT32 to store large files AND to use larger values for the file system cluster size. If you are using FAT32 you may want to change to NTFS to maintain compatibility with Windows. Otherwise any of the modern popular file system formats used on Linux today should allow larger file sizes if the cluster size is about 4096 bytes per cluster."(c)

threebeers 03-12-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knee (Post 58151088)

Here's the official how.

https://pogoplug.com/activate/

As I recall, I did it a little different. I just plugged in the pogoplug to ethernet, then a hard drive, then went to a computer on the same network, set up a pogoplug account (also gave me 5gb of cloud), it found and showed the pogoplug on the web page once signed in.

deals2dream 03-12-2013 10:25 AM

will this work with apple airport extreme?

tashayar 03-12-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckoo (Post 58148168)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToadKilla (Post 58149264)
If that's all really what you need, you might wanna first check your WiFi router. Most routers (at least new ones) generally come with USB port. If yours does, you don't even need this device for accessing your word/excel docs. But USB hard drive on router will not cut it for HD videos.

Thanks. I did check his router and it is old. All his systems are running different OS so thought this was cheap enough to try and *I* can run video when visiting. If it doesn't meet his needs I will keep it for me and play with it.

Elpee 03-12-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freesoul (Post 58164618)

Of course there are limitations like you're only running Samba2 so you might have issues with files larger than 2GB, but in general it's good enough for regular use. On the other hand there are still advantages about this setup (using the stock software but not Arch or Debian). If you need to access your files over the internet you simply use the stock software or go thru the pogoplug.com website and you don't need to set up VPN. This is particularly helpful in situations where you don't have control over the LAN settings such as your office. In fact I have one set this way in my workplace so I can work at other places while still have access to my data stored there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bagira (Post 58165780)
Yes, I am pretty sure, since I have several Pogos w/ArchLinux+Samba with files over 2GB size limit.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=samba+2GB+fi...limitation :)

And from the links:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/que...gb-654535/

"2 GB is the typical file size limit in FAT32. It is also a limit in CD-ROM file systems in the traditional format. CD-ROM file size limit can be doubled by using UDF format.

You might experience a 2 GB file size limit in other file systems such as NTFS or even ext2 if you don't have a generous number of inodes and/or if your partition cluster size is too small. (Mainly cluster size). This issue can cause various limits of file sizes. I have experienced a 17 GB file size limit in ext2/ext3 when I deliberately formatted a file system with a 1024 byte cluster size.

So there you are. The issue is about what file system format you are using and the number of inodes and the disk block cluster size. (Mainly the cluster size ). These characteristics work together to form a limit on file size.

The resolution is either to NOT use FAT32 to store large files AND to use larger values for the file system cluster size. If you are using FAT32 you may want to change to NTFS to maintain compatibility with Windows. Otherwise any of the modern popular file system formats used on Linux today should allow larger file sizes if the cluster size is about 4096 bytes per cluster."(c)

Thank you. Repped you, both, for useful answers. :)

PeterM2339 03-12-2013 11:35 AM

in for one!

pc2007 03-12-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Hdhomerun is a network tuner. It is a digital tuner. I actually used WDLXTV for recording without any issues. I now use my pogo to do the same job. See https://github.com/malahal/hdhomerun_recorder for details.

Ostracus 03-12-2013 05:46 PM

Picked up one. Pink was the only thing left. Maybe I can hide it behind a wall.

coachclass 03-12-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Absolutely.

Dude, that's harsh. For $15, this thing is still a good deal even if you use it as is. Just because you've got the know how to make it do a bunch of other stuff, it doesn't make other people "lemmings". Sheesh. Sound like talk radio calling people "sheep".

MyBallsItch 03-12-2013 09:34 PM

I got one too, thanks op.

Spraycan at the ready to get rid of the pinkness.

The hdhomerun info sold me. I have an original. Need a program to control hdhomerun from android phone now.
(Hopefully free, or free trial.) If anyone knows of one...

Bagira 03-12-2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coachclass (Post 58181970)
Dude, that's harsh. For $15, this thing is still a good deal even if you use it as is. Just because you've got the know how to make it do a bunch of other stuff, it doesn't make other people "lemmings". Sheesh. Sound like talk radio calling people "sheep".

You are dead wrong here, bud.
If you don't know stuff and willing to learn, you are not a sheep or lemming.
We all start from no knowledge.
However, if you are here on SD buying stuff and then don't know what to do with it, then yes, you are a lemming.

I do appreciate your opinion, yet, I keep my own. I've been long enough on SD to determine a difference. I will always give advice to someone willing to learn and I do not hesitate to ask questions if I don't know the answer. And I do appreciate the help of the community,and I do enjoy giving the advice to the people willing to learn.

except..lemmings...:lol:

Ostracus 03-12-2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bagira (Post 58182724)
However, if you are here on SD buying stuff and then don't know what to do with it, then yes, you are a lemming.

Well there are two options. Call people names, or answer the plea for information. The latter, not only will pay future dividends, but it will also help those shoulder-surfing the "lemming".

Ostracus 03-13-2013 12:52 AM

That actually is useful. When I initially put ArchlinuxArm onto my Pogoplug the front light stayed orange. The steps in the "upgrading kernel" changed that.

Bagira 03-13-2013 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ostracus (Post 58183710)
Well there are two options. Call people names, or answer the plea for information. The latter, not only will pay future dividends, but it will also help those shoulder-surfing the "lemming".

Do me a favor, include me to your Ignore list, thank you very much.
I really don't need the general advices from someone like you.

Phillydude411 03-13-2013 06:41 AM

I want the black one :(

Elpee 03-13-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bagira (Post 58182724)
I will always give advice to someone willing to learn and I do not hesitate to ask questions if I don't know the answer. And I do appreciate the help of the community,and I do enjoy giving the advice to the people willing to learn.

except..lemmings...:lol:

Before I try to 'hack' mine, backing up Pogoplug's flash memory is probably a good idea at this point. Any instruction (for backup/ restore just in case) if you can help? Thanks.

Bagira 03-13-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elpee (Post 58190988)
Before I try to 'hack' mine, backing up Pogoplug's flash memory is probably a good idea at this point. Any instruction (for backup/ restore just in case) if you can help? Thanks.

Here is a good thread on restoring the factory firmware on those devices: http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/vie...=18&t=1460

As of how to back up the original, I am not sure, to tell you the truth.

foxblur 03-13-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heiNey (Post 58148032)

yes, it would work like that.

What hard drive enclosure are you using to hook-up all these drives? I'm looking for good stable 3.5" USB enclosures for my drives.

Ostracus 03-13-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elpee (Post 58190988)

http://slickdeals.net/f/5073152-pogo-plug-question

Jkee answers your question.

Elpee 03-13-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ostracus (Post 58193128)

Great, but what they were talking about is a Docstar not a POGOP21 I'm working on. Not sure if they're same.

ToadKilla 03-13-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Absolutely.

Really.

I beg to differ on highlight part. You can't really compare makeshift NAS with USB port with a real NAS that supports better interfaces for speed. For a casual user, it makes no sense to buy pogoplug for it's stock operation. but it, in all means, can't compete with a real $300 NAS.

msk2982 03-13-2013 12:24 PM

Off topic question.

I have the Series 4. I've googled but not really understood how to install arch-linux.

The one feature I would love to have is file sharing with outside networks which the stock pogoplug allows.

Also, can I restore back to the original Pogoplug software if I dont like Arch?

I've never really used Linux, thanks in advance

yazyazoo 03-13-2013 12:41 PM

Got the E02 on a deal awhile back and spent the last two week working on it. I am a Linux newb. I got Samba, Sickbeard, Sabnzbd, Couchpotato working on here. It seems to work fine although if it is doing downloading and rar the files together at the same time it can really bog down the whole thing. I wasn't able to get into CouchPotato when Sab was downloading and raring. I didn't try to see how it does serving the media when Sab was doing its work.

My max dl speed as about 1.5MB/s event though I can hit 2.0 MB/s. So I am pretty happy. Anyone get their Pogo downloading faster than that?

Bagira 03-13-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToadKilla (Post 58194874)
I beg to differ on highlight part. You can't really compare makeshift NAS with USB port with a real NAS that supports better interfaces for speed. For a casual user, it makes no sense to buy pogoplug for it's stock operation. but it, in all means, can't compete with a real $300 NAS.

I respect your opinion, however, for my all intents and purposes modified Pogo chain serves as a real NAS, and I do not want dedicated NAS server, which eats a lot of electricity. I run my Pogos 24/7, 4W each.
Not sure what you mean by "better interface for speed".

graymen2 03-13-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msk2982 (Post 58195258)
Off topic question.

I have the Series 4. I've googled but not really understood how to install arch-linux.

The one feature I would love to have is file sharing with outside networks which the stock pogoplug allows.

Also, can I restore back to the original Pogoplug software if I dont like Arch?

I've never really used Linux, thanks in advance

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't switching back to stock just a matter of pulling out your USB drive (proper shutdown of course). I thought the bootloader, would just default to the built in firmware if it doesn't find a attached USB drive. DISCLAIMER, I NEVER USED THE STOCK SOFTWARE (I'll try it with my new one I order from this thread).

ubiquidos 03-13-2013 01:18 PM

Can anyone write me a tutorial on how to install OWN CLOUD on this?

Thanks

monkeybiz 03-13-2013 01:31 PM

it's only five bucks more DUH! nevermind

yazyazoo 03-13-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bagira (Post 58195962)
I respect your opinion, however, for my all intents and purposes modified Pogo chain serves as a real NAS, and I do not want dedicated NAS server, which eats a lot of electricity. I run my Pogos 24/7, 4W each.

Got to add in the external Hard drives too! Still low power compared to my desktop using 40w on idle.

4w and 4-6w/ Hard Drive when being accessed. Used a Kill a wat to measure it.

ToadKilla 03-13-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

SATA and eSATA as compared to USB 2.0

Bagira 03-13-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yazyazoo (Post 58197058)
Got to add in the external Hard drives too! Still low power compared to my desktop using 40w on idle.

4w and 4-6w/ Hard Drive when being accessed. Used a Kill a wat to measure it.

I use just usb-powered drives :)

Bagira 03-13-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToadKilla (Post 58197580)
SATA and eSATA as compared to USB 2.0

OK, got it.
Well, maybe it is important to you.
I can serve several Blu Ray rips simultaneously from my network, so USB 2 seems to be working for me.

MyBallsItch 03-13-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Better interface for speed would be sata or usb3 or anything faster than slow ass usb2 between the device and drive...

I just bought one but already feel worried about the speed limits of usb2.

Dedicated nas doesn't mean server with high power draw, some nas's are just external drive enclosures with something like this inside, except faster interface.

What made me bite on this was just that i already have enclosures and drives, and this should be able to do more than one of the simple drive enclosure type nas.