Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Deal Talk (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Foscam FI8910W Wireless 480 TVL Dome-Shaped IP Surveillance Camera (black) $69 + Free Shipping (http://slickdeals.net/f/5900980-foscam-fi8910w-wireless-480-tvl-dome-shaped-ip-surveillance-camera-black-69-free-shipping)

RagingWookiee 03-11-2013 11:10 AM

Foscam FI8910W Wireless 480 TVL Dome-Shaped IP Surveillance Camera (black) $69 + Free Shipping

1 Attachment(s)
Linky [ebay.com]

iconian 03-11-2013 11:10 AM

Foscam FI8910W Wireless 480 TVL Dome-Shaped IP Surveillance Camera (black) $69 + Free Shipping

2 Attachment(s)
Dailysteals via EBay has Foscam FI8910W Wireless 480 TVL Dome-Shaped IP Surveillance Camera for $69 with free shipping. Thanks RagingWookiee

wikipost 03-11-2013 11:10 AM

This post can and should be edited by users like you :)

I'm not familiar with wiki etiquette so I apologize if this is not properly done. I think the links that someone else posted below came from a cut/paste, and thus are abbreviated and non-functional (for me anyhow). Here's the original post:

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=58146580&postcount=17

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW, you can get them for 79.98 directly from Foscam with code STPATRICKS
This may be preferred for warranty/RMA.

Quote from Foscam Email :
FI8910W Black Single ($79.89 including Free Shipping w/ code "STPATRICKS")
http://foscam.us/foscam-fi8910w-w...amera.html

FI8910W White Single ($79.89 including Free Shipping w/ code "STPATRICKS")

FI8910W Black 2-Pack Bundle with 9dbi Antennas and 7-Peice Adjustable Bracket
($161.49 including Free Shipping w/ code "STPATRICKS"):
http://foscam.us/foscam-fi8910w-2...acket.html

FI8910W White 2-Pack Bundle with 9dbi Antennas and 7-Peice Adjustable Bracket
http://foscam.us/foscam-fi8910w-2...et-77.html

SlickTex 03-11-2013 11:35 AM

slightly cheaper than previous deals. Amazon charges me tax and ebay gives e-bucks so thumbs up from me.

concerting 03-11-2013 12:18 PM

Same deal on ebay hit frontpage a couple weeks ago:
http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/89566/ebay.com-foscam-fi8910w-wireless-480-tvl-domeshaped-ip-surveillance-camera-black-or-white

pizan26 03-11-2013 12:25 PM

white OOS already

danameless 03-11-2013 12:26 PM

I pick these up with a previous deal, but can't get the wireless to work. Everytime I go through the setup, the camera and tool freezes when I unplug the lan cable. Did anyone else have this problem?

beeemerm5 03-11-2013 12:33 PM

great camera! hope amazon pricematch soon ~

Hilbe 03-11-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danameless (Post 58145346)
I pick these up with a previous deal, but can't get the wireless to work. Everytime I go through the setup, the camera and tool freezes when I unplug the lan cable. Did anyone else have this problem?

You running the latest firmware?

InfamousDX 03-11-2013 12:39 PM

Darn... no more white.

digitalfool 03-11-2013 12:47 PM

Any reason why white is more popular? Thought the images showed the lights glowing through the camera base in the dark.

djabi90 03-11-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beeemerm5 (Post 58145518)
great camera! hope amazon pricematch soon ~

i agree!!! i have $20 gift card just laying around. drops it down to 50!

danameless 03-11-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilbe (Post 58145618)

Yup, updated to the latest firmware, tried different PCs and no luck. Works fine wired though.

HamZer11 03-11-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danameless (Post 58146142)
Yup, updated to the latest firmware, tried different PCs and no luck. Works fine wired though.

I set one of these up about a month ago. Mines ended up having the IR filter issue so it's with Foscam right now. Beware that if you buy from even an authorized seller you have to pay to ship it to them and for them to ship it back. Only if you buy direct do they pay shipping. That said, once you select your wireless network and put in the network passcode. You will save it and it will reboot. Before it comes back up you should disconnect the LAN cable. Then when it comes up give it some time to get back on your network wirelessly. I have set up several Foscam's and this has always worked. Let me know if you are having issues even before selecting the network but the key is, you should not be disconnecting LAN until it begins to reboot.

gmanvbva 03-11-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilbe (Post 58145618)

Quote:

RMA it. I connected mine, update FW, configured wireless and uplugged (rebooted).
Both worked perfectly. I RMA'd one because the mic had static/noise.

BBIGGD 03-11-2013 01:12 PM

i dont know im just putting my 2 cents in maybe your wireless router is the problem somehow

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBIGGD (Post 58146514)
i dont know im just putting my 2 cents in maybe your wireless router is the problem somehow

maybe its your wireless router thats the problem then

gmanvbva 03-11-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foscam Email

FI8910W Black 2-Pack Bundle with 9dbi Antennas and 7-Peice Adjustable Bracket
http://foscam.us/foscam-fi8910w-2...acket.html

FI8910W White 2-Pack Bundle with 9dbi Antennas and 7-Peice Adjustable Bracket
http://foscam.us/foscam-fi8910w-2...et-77.html

Personally, I would buy them directly from Foscam for $10 more (over DailySteals).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foscam Warranty
Warranty / Return / Replacement Policy

ShenZhen FOSCAM Intelligent Technology Limited.("FOSCAM") values your business and always attempts to provide you the very best of service.

No limited hardware warranty is provided by FOSCAM unless your FOSCAM product ("product") was purchased from an authorized distributor or authorized reseller. Distributors may sell products to resellers who then sell products to end users. No warranty service is provided unless the product is returned to an authorized return center in the region where the product was first shipped by FOSCAM or to the point-of-purchase, which may have regional specific warranty implications.

http://foscam.com/help3.aspx

Doubt daily steals is on that list... but maybe...

HamZer11 03-11-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmanvbva (Post 58146580)

Personally, I would buy them directly from Foscam for $10 more (over DailySteals).

+1 on this. As I mentioned before, only if you buy direct do you get shipping paid and an easy RMA process. When I first emailed them about my RMA they just assumed I bought from them and sent me the form to fill out. When I told them I don't have an order # from them that's when first I was told to go back to the vendor. When I told them it was past the vendors return policy, they did issue the RMA but I pay shipping.

From their website:

Note that if an item needs to be replaced from a third party seller such as Amazon, eBay, or GroupOn, the seller's policies apply. If a replacement is needed after the seller's RMA period (usually 30 days), customers will need to ship the item back and also provide payment for shipping the replacement item back (usually a $7.00 value).

It's Item # 2:
http://foscam.us/return-policy.html

danameless 03-11-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HamZer11 (Post 58146402)
I set one of these up about a month ago. Mines ended up having the IR filter issue so it's with Foscam right now. Beware that if you buy from even an authorized seller you have to pay to ship it to them and for them to ship it back. Only if you buy direct do they pay shipping. That said, once you select your wireless network and put in the network passcode. You will save it and it will reboot. Before it comes back up you should disconnect the LAN cable. Then when it comes up give it some time to get back on your network wirelessly. I have set up several Foscam's and this has always worked. Let me know if you are having issues even before selecting the network but the key is, you should not be disconnecting LAN until it begins to reboot.

Hmmm, OK - I've always waited until the camera completely re-booted before unplugging the cable. After I unplug the cable is when the camera freezes and does not come back online. I'll try this when I get home later. Thanks-

xWarMECHx 03-11-2013 01:50 PM

No tax in CA... so total OOP is pretty much on par with the past Amazon ($63) and Home Depot ($65) FP deals.... not to mention $1.38 back in eBay bucks. Thanks/Reps OP!

HamZer11 03-11-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danameless (Post 58147294)
Hmmm, OK - I've always waited until the camera completely re-booted before unplugging the cable. After I unplug the cable is when the camera freezes and does not come back online. I'll try this when I get home later. Thanks-

Ok, that's the problem then. If it boots wired, it will not switch to wireless. As soon as you get the reboot message wait like 10 seconds and then unplug. Should work.

endlesscash 03-11-2013 02:03 PM

Low 480TVL, what good is that? Do not even think of reading a license plate unless it is 5' away.

rkdus 03-11-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalfool (Post 58145904)
Any reason why white is more popular? Thought the images showed the lights glowing through the camera base in the dark.

Apple fanboys like white stuff :D jk!

Ignatz 03-11-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Matches the walls and ceiling I'd guess.

cheap_bastid 03-11-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Most likely a router issue. I had a friend with a late model Linksys router that these cameras just never could work with. The linksys routers can be real crap.

He just picked up an ASUS RT-N16 this past weekend, and in no time had the cameras working. He loves the new routher and cameras so much.

So try a different router if you can.

I've set up 16 of these Foscams at several different locations and have never had a problem. These are rock solid as far as I'm concerned. I've had them working since Dec of last year and not a single problem, across different states.

Quote:

As I mentioned my friend had the exact same problem, so he had 5 of the Foscam's sitting around doing a whole lot of nothing for several months.

Let us know what you find.

EK100 03-11-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignatz (Post 58148366)
Matches the walls and ceiling I'd guess.

My thoughts. It blends in better. More for aesthetics than stealth, but I don't mind the latter.

RWatson626 03-11-2013 05:07 PM

NY has to pay sales tax :(

OstrichSak 03-11-2013 05:08 PM

Finally! Target.com screwed me and as well as a LOT of people over on the previous 'deal' so it's nice to finally get my order placed. Actually saved a few bucks too.

Thumbs up and rep'd OP!

sundown 03-11-2013 05:10 PM

I got this cam last deal here. Found tip online can't remember where but it helped a lot getting cam to work.

"1) Do NOT install the software on the CD.
2) Connect the camera by Cat-5 wire to your computer.
3) Login to your router (via browser) and find the IP address assigned to your camera.
4) Login to the camera at that IP address (via browser) and IMMEDIATELY turn OFF the DHCP.
5) Give your camera a fixed IP address on your network and fill in the subnet mask with what you normally use.
6) The Gateway and DNS fields should normally be the IP address of your router.
7) Fill in the SSID, encryption type, and share key used by your wireless network.
8) Pick a 4 digit number to use for the HTTP port number. (I have no idea what "Network Lamp" is so I left it checked.)
9) Disconnect the Cat-5 cable and re-boot the camera.
10) Re-login to the camera at the new fixed IP address to verify that everything's working.
11) Login to your router and set a port-forwarding entry to map to the fixed IP address and HTTP port you gave your camera.
12) Use the "What's My IP" site to find your outside IP address.
13) Enter your outside IP address and HTTP port number into a browser and verify that you can get into the camera from outside your house."

on 12 & 13 I think I just used the camera free foscam ip address.

HamZer11 03-11-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheap_bastid (Post 58148936)

As I mentioned my friend had the exact same problem, so he had 5 of the Foscam's sitting around doing a whole lot of nothing for several months.

Let us know what you find.

I can't say I agree with the router being the issue. I have run my Foscams on an Asus, a Netgear, and a fios router with no problem. I think there are two issues that might be causing the problem. 1 is that the rj45 is not being disconnected in time. The other is that unless you give the camera a static ip when it comes on the network wirelessly it will most likely get a different address so you need to reconnect to the correct ip. Oh and make sure you type the wireless key correctly and choose the right encryption. It takes what you give it and will not prompt you to correct it like other devices.

Here is help from their website

4) Once logged in to the Camera, look on the left panel and click on the option “For Administrator” (if using IE) or “Device Management” (if using Firefox or Google Chrome”). Then click on “Wireless Lan Settings”. Here, check the box next to “Using Wireless Lan”. Then, enter your “SSID”. Then, select your “Encryption” which is going to be (e.g., WPA/WPA2/WEP together with either TKIP/AES/TKIP-AES). Next, enter your “Shared Key”. *********Click “Submit” and let the Camera Reboot. Wait 30 seconds and then remove the ethernet/network cable.********

If you are having trouble, set your wireless Encryption Method to WPA and your encryption technique to TKIP. I seem to have the best results using those settings.

5) Give the camera about 30 to 45 seconds to start up and you should start to see the green led on the front flashing much faster than. Open IP camera tools and the camera should appear. *******Once your camera goes wireless your camera will receive a new IP Address*********, you will need to use this new IP Address when setting up port forwarding. Now that you have the Wireless Setup working on your Foscam IP Camera, then you can go on to the next tutorial which shows you how to setup your Foscam so that it is accessible from anywhere on the internet.

KoRruPtEdKaRbOn 03-11-2013 05:18 PM

i bit on this camera 6 months ago. it's okay. i dont see why it keeps making front page tho. the quality is terrible and latency sucks. as far as wireless and networking goes it seems to be working very well tho. next time i will definately get one with better resolution.

arm&hammer 03-11-2013 05:20 PM

Is this IPV6 compatible? If not, won't these become obsolete in a couple of years for wireless access?

slickchef 03-11-2013 05:41 PM

This will be a perfect addition to my bathroom!

OstrichSak 03-11-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sundown (Post 58151702)
I got this cam last deal here. Found tip online can't remember where but it helped a lot getting cam to work.

"1) Do NOT install the software on the CD.
2) Connect the camera by Cat-5 wire to your computer.
3) Login to your router (via browser) and find the IP address assigned to your camera.
4) Login to the camera at that IP address (via browser) and IMMEDIATELY turn OFF the DHCP.
5) Give your camera a fixed IP address on your network and fill in the subnet mask with what you normally use.
6) The Gateway and DNS fields should normally be the IP address of your router.
7) Fill in the SSID, encryption type, and share key used by your wireless network.
8) Pick a 4 digit number to use for the HTTP port number. (I have no idea what "Network Lamp" is so I left it checked.)
9) Disconnect the Cat-5 cable and re-boot the camera.
10) Re-login to the camera at the new fixed IP address to verify that everything's working.
11) Login to your router and set a port-forwarding entry to map to the fixed IP address and HTTP port you gave your camera.
12) Use the "What's My IP" site to find your outside IP address.
13) Enter your outside IP address and HTTP port number into a browser and verify that you can get into the camera from outside your house."

on 12 & 13 I think I just used the camera free foscam ip address.

A few notes...

3) won't always work. If the camera is on a different subnet by default then your network it won't show up. Install a small and simple program called 'IP Camera Tool' and open it. From here you can change an IP address to something that will show up on your network

5) when you select a static IP address you want to set something higher than what would normally be assigned. For instance, if your router's address is 192.168.1.1 you will see that the dynamic range assigned to devices automatically is going to be in the 110-120 range generally. So set your static IP at like 150 or something like that. Ideally you would want to check your router's settings to see what the DHCP range is and then set your static IPs outside of that range to avoid any and all issues in the future. If none of that makes sense to you then just set it at like 192.168.1.150 or something like that.

8) I like to set my port # to something similar to the IP address to make it easier to remember. Turn network lamp off.

OstrichSak 03-11-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slickchef (Post 58152288)
This will be a perfect addition to my bathroom!

Not really. These things are bulbous and anything but inconspicuous If you want to do something like that you're going to want something you can hide. :D

Microtubule 03-11-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

I had a problem with mine where it would connect wired but not wireless. I was about to blow my head off after working on it for hours and hours. Finally I tried changing the firmware on my router back to the first that was ever available and bam it connected right away to my Netgear router.

virx14 03-11-2013 05:50 PM

$69.99 is pretty much normal price now, I see it almost every week. Having said that, it is a very good camera for the price, i am using two of them for almost 2 years, never had any problems. Both android and iOS have apps with good support, highly recommend "LiveCams Pro" for iPhone/iPad in conjunction with this camera.

donftw 03-11-2013 06:05 PM

has anyone used this specific model as a baby room monitor? i searched google and it seems this is feasible with this unit. the only limiting issue, in my mind, would be how to provide it power, if i wanted to ceiling mount it.

falconman515 03-11-2013 06:06 PM

NOT AN AUTHORIZED DEALER !!! (even though it says it is)

You will not get any warranty if purchased here.

BUT ... on there list it does say "eBay" ... Sooo ... I wonder how that works? If anyone sells a Foscam new on eBay it's covered? Or does it have to an authorized dealer still? That is a bit deceiving to me ... I would not buy unless it's directly from a an actual dealer name on this list. Trust me you will want to phone technical support and warranty if need be.

Here is the list from foscam for authorized dealers.

http://foscam.us/where-to-buy.html

mr_big_tongue 03-11-2013 06:08 PM

I will eventually get one of these (or a competitor). Right now I just don't think I have an overabundant need for it living in an apartment and working on buying a new house. Perhaps I could have it in the shower for whenever a cute girl needs to shower off the shame of the night before...

kalmychkov 03-11-2013 06:21 PM

Is anyone installed this camera inside the vehicle as a security measure by any chance?

iwheela 03-11-2013 06:25 PM

Does this hog upload bandwidth like the Dropcam?
iwheela

Milkbone 03-11-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwheela (Post 58153088)
Does this hog upload bandwidth like the Dropcam?
iwheela

Yes, But not quite as bad because of the lower resolution, eventhough the dropcam uses H.264 compresion.

baii 03-11-2013 06:51 PM

can you hand this upside down for door camera?

ebr 03-11-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baii (Post 58153590)

Yes, the interface allows you to flip the image to make it normal.

gmxno 03-11-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OstrichSak (Post 58152336)
Not really. These things are bulbous and anything but inconspicuous If you want to do something like that you're going to want something you can hide. :D

Do you know which one can be used to hide but at the same time can take HD video quality (of course not to use inside the house in the private area, i want to use in the public area in our house at that same time I don't want camera to be seen). I tried my friend Google with no real success as most of them are pretty big and needs lots of wire and the wireless ones are pretty bad in the video quality... any suggestions ....

OstrichSak 03-11-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by udonoogen (Post 58152768)
has anyone used this specific model as a baby room monitor? i searched google and it seems this is feasible with this unit. the only limiting issue, in my mind, would be how to provide it power, if i wanted to ceiling mount it.

Yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by baii (Post 58153590)

Yes.

gmxno 03-11-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalmychkov (Post 58153004)
Is anyone installed this camera inside the vehicle as a security measure by any chance?

I also have this question; if not this camera is there any suggestion for similar device for use inside the car which has a smaller foot-print . (the ones in Amazon or other auto websites are too big, meaning it is not concealed and it makes a very good target for break-ins) TIA

danameless 03-11-2013 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HamZer11 (Post 58147714)
Ok, that's the problem then. If it boots wired, it will not switch to wireless. As soon as you get the reboot message wait like 10 seconds and then unplug. Should work.

OK, so i disconnected the cable while it was re-booting and got the same issue. The camera never reboots after it goes down to 0 and does not come back online. :confused:

HamZer11 03-11-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danameless (Post 58154848)
OK, so i disconnected the cable while it was re-booting and got the same issue. The camera never reboots after it goes down to 0 and does not come back online. :confused:

The camera comes back, it's just on a different IP address. Or you have to wait a while longer. Do the setup, reboot, wait 3 minutes. Then you just have to find it on your network again. How are you locating the IP address in the first place?

slugbom 03-11-2013 09:33 PM

gGod damn I feel dumb buying the 18w model for this same price a month or two ago.

And this one apparently records video on its own, whereas the older one does only photos (without hooking it up to an "always on" computer and expensive software.. aka a pain in the arse)

slugbom 03-11-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmxno (Post 58154148)
Do you know which one can be used to hide but at the same time can take HD video quality (of course not to use inside the house in the private area, i want to use in the public area in our house at that same time I don't want camera to be seen). I tried my friend Google with no real success as most of them are pretty big and needs lots of wire and the wireless ones are pretty bad in the video quality... any suggestions ....

Just use one of these and put it in a plant or something.

Only "impossible" part is the stupid night vision lights that come on. There is no way to turn them off that I have seen (thought I read there was but was probably a different brand)

LidiaB 03-11-2013 09:47 PM

Look, I'm pretty knowledgable about computers (good with Windows, OSX, excel, etc) and this thing is a god damn nightmare to hook up for anyone that doesn't have extensive networking knowledge. So anyone buying this thing thinking they'll just plug it in and boom, they have a camera they can check with their iPhone, forget it. The manual is completely worthless and the the english translation is a complete joke. Everyone seems to thing they can provide easy instructions to get thing going but I've yet to see someone say, "yup, hooked this up in 10 minutes and I look it on my iPhone (off wifi) all the time. Hopefully you know an IT guy that does networking as a career because this camera is not easy to hook up.

spinn 03-11-2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slugbom (Post 58156738)

Only "impossible" part is the stupid night vision lights that come on. There is no way to turn them off that I have seen (thought I read there was but was probably a different brand)

On the web controls, you just turn off the IR; the power light on the rear though, stays on.

Hefner413 03-11-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LidiaB (Post 58156966)
Look, I'm pretty knowledgable about computers (good with Windows, OSX, excel, etc) and this thing is a god damn nightmare to hook up for anyone that doesn't have extensive networking knowledge. So anyone buying this thing thinking they'll just plug it in and boom, they have a camera they can check with their iPhone, forget it. The manual is completely worthless and the the english translation is a complete joke. Everyone seems to thing they can provide easy instructions to get thing going but I've yet to see someone say, "yup, hooked this up in 10 minutes and I look it on my iPhone (off wifi) all the time. Hopefully you know an IT guy that does networking as a career because this camera is not easy to hook up.

As long as you set up a static ip, you're fine outside of wifi. I'm not a IT guy and was able... (Took me a little longer than 10... About 30 mins)

Aaron007 03-11-2013 09:54 PM

Quote:

That's what videos are for:

Windows: http://foscam.us/mjpeg-setup-videos
Mac: http://foscam.us/mjpeg-setup-videos-mac

mikejones 03-11-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Anyone "pretty knowledgeable" about computers should be able to set this up in 15-20 minutes at most.

I'm not an IT guy or have networking experience (other than adjusting a few router settings), but I got my first one set up in 20 minutes, and subsequent ones in 10 minutes a piece.

Also setting up viewing on my iPhone was a snap too - just plug in your IP address, port, and username/password.

slugbom 03-11-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

I am saying that. I don't know why you had so much difficulty. It comes with software that hooks it up for you. Or did you toss that away?

Also you need to head over to no-ip.com to get set up and then it's smooth sailing. I use a baby monnitor app on my phone and it worked in minutes.

slugbom 03-11-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spinn (Post 58157014)
On the web controls, you just turn off the IR; the power light on the rear though, stays on.

But then you can't see in the dark lol. I guess it's too expensive to use anything beyond 0.74 µm?

pigmoose 03-12-2013 12:19 AM

God I can't wait to set this thing up. I'll have it auto capture the weirdos that walk past my place.

ManUpOrShutUp 03-12-2013 02:26 AM

Quote:

The white one allegedly turns slightly more.

Good cam btw. Easy to setup and works fine with my ISP-supplied modem/router.

mcleanp 03-12-2013 02:37 AM

Quote:

When setting up to use for wifi try setting all network ip's via static and then apply the wifi info. See if that works. Worked for me.

VorlonFrog 03-12-2013 02:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by OstrichSak (Post 58152290)
Install a small and simple program called 'IP Camera Tool' and open it. From here you can change an IP address to something that will show up on your network

Here's another vote for the IP Camera Tool program. It's much easier to find and configure multiple cameras this way.

danameless 03-12-2013 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HamZer11 (Post 58156404)
The camera comes back, it's just on a different IP address. Or you have to wait a while longer. Do the setup, reboot, wait 3 minutes. Then you just have to find it on your network again. How are you locating the IP address in the first place?

I use the IP Camera Tool to find the IP when I first connect to my laptop via lan. I unplugged the cable while it was counting down (re-booting) and then the screen where you see the video image freezes and gives me the error Page cannot be displayed and the IP Tool does not display the camera IP anymore.

danameless 03-12-2013 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcleanp (Post 58159654)
When setting up to use for wifi try setting all network ip's via static and then apply the wifi info. See if that works. Worked for me.

OK, I'll admit - I am not too techie when it comes to this kind of stuff. How do I set my network IP's via static?

douglasbarbin 03-12-2013 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danameless (Post 58161304)
OK, I'll admit - I am not too techie when it comes to this kind of stuff. How do I set my network IP's via static?

It will most likely be a setting in your router. Look for "Static IP", "Static DHCP", "DHCP Reservation", or something similar. I believe that you can also set a static IP on the camera itself when you log in to the admin utility, but if you do a factory reset on the camera, you will lose the static IP (if you set it on the camera and not on the router).

eiloo 03-12-2013 06:57 AM

How is the sound quality on this?

Can you do two way communication with your Android device?

HamZer11 03-12-2013 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danameless (Post 58161304)

When you go into the "Basic Network Settings" tab it allows you to set a static IP. But it's a little more involved than that. You don't want to set an IP that something else might be using on the network so aim high. Like 192.168.1.90.
So usually it's like this:

Uncheck "Obtain IP from DHCP server"
Type the following:
IP Adr: 192.168.1.90
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DNS server: 192.168.1.1
Http Port: Can be blank or set 80 which is the default
Uncheck "network" lamp

Submit

I think it should reboot at this point. Remember give it some time. I usually wait until it stops the patrol and then a few seconds after that.

Then in your browser type http://192.168.1.90

This should bring you to the log screen if all works correctly.

HamZer11 03-12-2013 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danameless (Post 58161266)
I use the IP Camera Tool to find the IP when I first connect to my laptop via lan. I unplugged the cable while it was counting down (re-booting) and then the screen where you see the video image freezes and gives me the error Page cannot be displayed and the IP Tool does not display the camera IP anymore.

Ok so just to be clear. You are plugging the camera via LAN to the router and then your laptop connects to the same network. You should not be connected directly to the camera via LAN. You use IP tool to find the initial IP address. Setup everything you want before you switch to wireless. MAKE THE IP STATIC if you can. Go through all the reboots. Then when all is set, go to the wireless settings. Select your network, carefully enter your network key. Also select the right encryption (the default it shows may not be correct). Then save and it will reboot. While it's rebooting unplug the camera from your router. Then wait for it to fully reset. I wait until it stops turning and then a few more seconds after that. Then log in via the browser like I posted above.

Also, double check after you set the wireless settings that the check mark was saved for "using wireless LAN". I think I had to save it twice on one of my cameras.

OstrichSak 03-12-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danameless (Post 58161266)

Why unplug it while it's counting down? Patience. Let it do it's thing. Same thing with IP Camera Tool. It takes time for the camera to boot up and then it takes time for IP Camera Tool to find it. None of this is an instant process so just relax and enjoy it. You also have to set up EVERY value for the camera's network before unplugging the network cable. If you haven't done this properly you will never communicate with it via WiFi.

OstrichSak 03-12-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by douglasbarbin (Post 58161370)
It will most likely be a setting in your router. Look for "Static IP", "Static DHCP", "DHCP Reservation", or something similar. I believe that you can also set a static IP on the camera itself when you log in to the admin utility, but if you do a factory reset on the camera, you will lose the static IP (if you set it on the camera and not on the router).

No, you will set your device to a static IP, not your router. This goes for ANY device you own and want to set to a static IP. Game consoles for instance are a good example of something you may want to set static so you can port forward or DMZ. You want to get into your camera settings and set the network from DHCP to static by manually telling it what values to use to communicate with your network. Once all of these are set (and correct) it will communicate with your network & router by itself. If you lose power once it comes back on you won't have to worry about it being assigned a different IP address by your router and losing your port forward settings that are assigned to the previous IP address.

The easiest way for anyone to do this is to google 'How to set a static IP address' and scan through the first few hits. Do the same for 'How to port forward' and this will be the two biggest hurdles of setting up these cameras and where 90%+ of people get hung up. There's also tons of info on setting up Foscam cams specifically so utilize that too. It's all WAY easier then people on a forum trying to type out all the steps because there's a lot of them. They're really quite easy though if you follow the steps carefully.

douglasbarbin 03-12-2013 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OstrichSak (Post 58167136)
No, you will set your device to a static IP, not your router. This goes for ANY device you own and want to set to a static IP. Game consoles for instance are a good example of something you may want to set static so you can port forward or DMZ. You want to get into your camera settings and set the network from DHCP to static by manually telling it what values to use to communicate with your network. Once all of these are set (and correct) it will communicate with your network & router by itself. If you lose power once it comes back on you won't have to worry about it being assigned a different IP address by your router and losing your port forward settings that are assigned to the previous IP address.

The easiest way for anyone to do this is to google 'How to set a static IP address' and scan through the first few hits. Do the same for 'How to port forward' and this will be the two biggest hurdles of setting up these cameras and where 90%+ of people get hung up. There's also tons of info on setting up Foscam cams specifically so utilize that too. It's all WAY easier then people on a forum trying to type out all the steps because there's a lot of them. They're really quite easy though if you follow the steps carefully.

I don't think you understood what I was saying. DCHP reservation sets a static IP for one or more devices on your network, not for the router itself. For a general "how-to", look here: http://lifehacker.com/5822605/how...ress-again

DHCP reservation is preferable to setting up a static IP on the device itself, because a DCHP reservation will persist even if the device (in this case, the IP camera) is reset or has new firmware flashed to it. It will keep the same IP and you won't have to change it again. If you set a static IP in the camera itself, it will keep the IP address if the power goes out, but it will lose the IP address if new firmware is flashed or if the device is reset. There are other, more technical reasons why DHCP reservation is preferable. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/170062 for more details.

OstrichSak 03-12-2013 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by douglasbarbin (Post 58178824)
I don't think you understood what I was saying. DCHP reservation sets a static IP for one or more devices on your network, not for the router itself. For a general "how-to", look here: http://lifehacker.com/5822605/how-to-set-up-dhcp-reservations-so-you-never-have-to-check-an-ip-address-again

DHCP reservation is preferable to setting up a static IP on the device itself, because a DCHP reservation will persist even if the device (in this case, the IP camera) is reset or has new firmware flashed to it. It will keep the same IP and you won't have to change it again. If you set a static IP in the camera itself, it will keep the IP address if the power goes out, but it will lose the IP address if new firmware is flashed or if the device is reset. There are other, more technical reasons why DHCP reservation is preferable. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/170062 for more details.

I did misunderstand what you were saying. I thought you were talking about disabling DHCP for some reason.

douglasbarbin 03-13-2013 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OstrichSak (Post 58183998)
I did misunderstand what you were saying. I thought you were talking about disabling DHCP for some reason.

No worries. Actually, the method I was talking about uses DHCP. Basically, you give the router a MAC address, and you tell the router that when it receives a DHCP request from that MAC address, to respond by assigning a specific IP. So you are setting the IP at the network level instead of at the OS or software level. It's good for computers, too. For example, say you have a computer that dual-boots Windows and Linux. You can set a static IP in both Windows and Linux, but if you reinstall or upgrade either of them, you will lose that static IP for whichever OS you reinstalled or upgraded, so you will have to set it again. If you do a DHCP reservation, since the IP is specified at a lower level, it will keep that IP regardless of changes to the OS or any other software.

sd_sd_sd 03-13-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sundown (Post 58151702)

"

Network Lamp, when checked will turn on the LED on the camera indicating network activity.
I've turned it off, so it won't get attention of intruders :-)

sundown 03-14-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gottum_m (Post 58196408)
Network Lamp, when checked will turn on the LED on the camera indicating network activity.
I've turned it off, so it won't get attention of intruders :-)

I wish I could give you a 100 reeeps for this. thanks.

gmxno 03-17-2013 11:14 AM

Thanks for the info, I also read through several reviews of this product and I am not convinced that this can be concealed, still looking for something good...

Quote:

Originally Posted by slugbom (Post 58156738)

Quote:

Originally Posted by spinn (Post 58157014)

nyknicks8 03-21-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falconman515 (Post 58152778)
NOT AN AUTHORIZED DEALER !!! (even though it says it is)

You will not get any warranty if purchased here.

BUT ... on there list it does say "eBay" ... Sooo ... I wonder how that works? If anyone sells a Foscam new on eBay it's covered? Or does it have to an authorized dealer still? That is a bit deceiving to me ... I would not buy unless it's directly from a an actual dealer name on this list. Trust me you will want to phone technical support and warranty if need be.

Here is the list from foscam for authorized dealers.

http://foscam.us/where-to-buy.html

I also checked this out after I bought and it seems they are not an authorized dealer. I contacted dailysteals last week mentioning this and they haven't responded. I sent them a second email today and mentioned I am going to file a claim if they don't respond since it is misleading advertising. We'll see what happens.

falconman515 03-21-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyknicks8 (Post 58378658)
I also checked this out after I bought and it seems they are not an authorized dealer. I contacted dailysteals last week mentioning this and they haven't responded. I sent them a second email today and mentioned I am going to file a claim if they don't respond since it is misleading advertising. We'll see what happens.

Ya I didn't think they we're .... they are not on the list of authorized dealers but the one thing that threw me was on that list "eBay" ... and just eBay was all it said ... as if anyone who sells on eBay is an authorized dealer.

But ya I bet you without a doubt if you try to get Foscam service they will decline you cause their company is not on that list.

They need to have something brought to them via eBay in false advertisement ... and especially false in saying they are an Authorized Dealer when with most products that is key to warranty.

Good luck ... hopefully you never need Foscam warranty then it will be ok.

nyknicks8 03-25-2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falconman515 (Post 58378882)
Ya I didn't think they we're .... they are not on the list of authorized dealers but the one thing that threw me was on that list "eBay" ... and just eBay was all it said ... as if anyone who sells on eBay is an authorized dealer.

But ya I bet you without a doubt if you try to get Foscam service they will decline you cause their company is not on that list.

They need to have something brought to them via eBay in false advertisement ... and especially false in saying they are an Authorized Dealer when with most products that is key to warranty.

Good luck ... hopefully you never need Foscam warranty then it will be ok.

They responded and provided this link: http://foscam.us/where-to-buy.html. It seems like they are legit. It seems like the foscam.com domain is the international company, and the foscam.us is for the US. So all seems good with the warranty.

falconman515 03-26-2013 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyknicks8 (Post 58467654)
They responded and provided this link: http://foscam.us/where-to-buy.html. It seems like they are legit. It seems like the foscam.com domain is the international company, and the foscam.us is for the US. So all seems good with the warranty.

Good to hear! Enjoy the camera :)