Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Deal Talk (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Zwilling J.A. Henckels Knife Block Set, 15 Piece Twin Gourmet - $128 + tax, FS @ Macy's (http://slickdeals.net/f/5906912-zwilling-j-a-henckels-knife-block-set-15-piece-twin-gourmet-128-tax-fs-macy-s)

stylez0 03-14-2013 08:56 AM

Zwilling J.A. Henckels Knife Block Set, 15 Piece Twin Gourmet - $128 + tax, FS @ Macy's

1 Attachment(s)
Macy's has the Zwilling J.A. Henckels Knife Block Set, 15 Piece Twin Gourmet cutlery set for $160, apply code VIP for an additional 20% off to bring the price to $128 + tax. Shipping is free.

•15-piece set includes:
•4" paring knife
•5" serrated utility knife
•8" bread knife
•8" chef's knife
•9" sharpening steel
•Kitchen shears
•(8) 4.5" Twin Gourmet steak knives
•Hardwood knife block
•Knives feature Friodur® ice hardened blades
•Full bolsters

http://www1.macys.com/shop/produc...ER=BAG1111

chunmanc123 03-14-2013 10:10 PM

looks like good deal...

Crossbow55 03-15-2013 10:14 AM

Save your money and buy FORGED knives... NOT STAMPED!

coolkatz321 03-15-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickd2499 (Post 58239854)
Save your money, buy FORGED knives... NOT STAMPED!

This.

slip kid 03-15-2013 10:19 AM

i have this set from when i got married back in 2007, I have since replaced most of the items with
Victorinox knives, definately the paring knife and the chef knife. i bought bigger steak knives just for the hell of it. the ones here are fine.

i believe you are better off building a set, the victorinox knives are better quality and also cheap.

sceptor 03-15-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

suggestions...

aberrero 03-15-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sceptor (Post 58240106)
suggestions...

This.

vodanh1982 03-15-2013 10:33 AM

Does any one have experience with TWIN PURE? How is it compared to this?

nutsaboutgolf 03-15-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Very generalized statment which would of been good advice ten years ago...Today, if you're going to spend $90+ on a knife, there are many stamped (global or MAC[yes, they both also sell forged versions as well]) which are thinner, harder, sharper and hold an edge better than many german forged knifes (Henckles & Wustof)...With that being said, I agree that if you're going to buy Henckles or a Wustof to stay away from the stamped versions.

Regardless of whatever anyone choses, don't put your knives in the dishwasher and have them routinely sharpened.

CJO 03-15-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nutsaboutgolf (Post 58240432)
Very generalized statment which would of been good advice ten years ago...Today, if you're going to spend $90+ on a knife, there are many stamped (global or MAC[yes, they both also sell forged versions as well]) which are thinner, harder, sharper and hold an edge better than many german forged knifes (Henckles & Wustof)...With that being said, I agree that if you're going to buy Henckles or a Wustof to stay away from the stamped versions.

Regardless of whatever anyone choses, don't put your knives in the dishwasher and have them routinely sharpened.

This.

CJ

captweedwacker 03-15-2013 11:33 AM

I thought the Twin line of knives by Henckles were forged.

woodbutcher 03-15-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sceptor (Post 58240106)
suggestions...

Thanks to this post I once again did a quick search for some decent knives from either Zwilling J.A. Henckels or Wusthof. Been looking for a deal on the Pro "S" knives for years, finally found a deal at Amazon. They have the Twin Pro "S" 7pc Block Knife Set [amazon.com] Via Chef's Resource for $169.95 with F/S, which is $30 or so more (depending on tax) then this deal but is a much better knife set.

Thanks OP, without your post I wouldn't have looked, repped you.

WB

BTW, the same set I linked to is $299.99 at Macy's [macys.com] (before the coupon)

Crossbow55 03-15-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodbutcher (Post 58241672)
Thanks to this post I once again did a quick search for some decent knives from either Zwilling J.A. Henckels or Wusthof. Been looking for a deal on the Pro "S" knives for years, finally found a deal at Amazon.

Yeah.... These are good.

"Twin Pro S knives are precision forged from a single piece of exclusive-formula, high-carbon, no-stain steel under the all-new Sigmaforge standard."

gizmo17 03-15-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nutsaboutgolf (Post 58240432)

Any recommendations on getting them sharpened? I use the Henckels sharpening tool the one you put on the counter and pull it through the slot a few times) for my Professional S knives. Is it better to take it somewhere?

stylez0 03-15-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodbutcher (Post 58241672)
Thanks to this post I once again did a quick search for some decent knives from either Zwilling J.A. Henckels or Wusthof. Been looking for a deal on the Pro "S" knives for years, finally found a deal at Amazon. They have the Twin Pro "S" 7pc Block Knife Set [amazon.com] Via Chef's Resource for $169.95 with F/S, which is $30 or so more (depending on tax) then this deal but is a much better knife set.

Thanks OP, without your post I wouldn't have looked, repped you.

WB

BTW, the same set I linked to is $299.99 at Macy's [macys.com] (before the coupon)

If you want the Twin Pro "S" Set buy it from Cutlery and More they throw in a free Hand-Held Knife Sharpener for the same price http://www.cutleryandmore.com/hen...et-p126380

Crossbow55 03-15-2013 12:34 PM

Sorry. Double post.

nutsaboutgolf 03-15-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gizmo17 (Post 58243302)
Any recommendations on getting them sharpened? I use the Henckels sharpening tool the one you put on the counter and pull it through the slot a few times) for my Professional S knives. Is it better to take it somewhere?

In states where hunting is big, often times flea markets, gun shows, things of that nature will sharpen your knifes for a few bucks each. Also Pawn Stores often get all their knives sharpen, you could always go into one, pretend to be interested in a knife and just ask "when the knife dulls, who around here can professionally sharpen it?"

Unless you're fileting a puffer fish or doing delicate garnishing, your Henckles sharpener is fine.

evilmomo 03-15-2013 03:05 PM

Unless you're in need for a bunch of steak knives, and looking at a set for prep work use, I would go with the signature set for $10 more. Better blade variety (I use the 7" santoku all the time).

Zwilling J.A. Henckels Cutlery, Twin Signature 8 Piece Block Set [macys.com]

Oh and just to chime in on the debate - relax knife snobs. I was a cook for 12 years and personally use Shun. But stamped blades are just fine nowadays for the average home user in this price range. Especially when buying a set.

woodbutcher 03-15-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stylez0 (Post 58243306)
If you want the Twin Pro "S" Set buy it from Cutlery and More they throw in a free Hand-Held Knife Sharpener for the same price http://www.cutleryandmore.com/hen...et-p126380

Good find but I put it on the Amazon card which is good for no interest for 6 months.

WB

TheIronist 03-15-2013 05:39 PM

Hmm, that is interesting. Why does the picture show the tang if it is stamped? I thought the tang is proof that a the knife was forged as it runs through the whole knife. That is tricky.

N0BIGDEAL 03-15-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stylez0 (Post 58243306)

I posted this deal, and no one cared

http://slickdeals.net/f/5898532-Henckels-Professional-S-Knife-Block-Set-7-piece-Forged-Made-in-Germany-FREE-Hand-Held-Knife-Sharpener-169-91-with-Free-Shipping

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodbutcher (Post 58249002)
Good find but I put it on the Amazon card which is good for no interest for 6 months.

WB

you're welcome. only posted this a week ago.

http://slickdeals.net/f/5898532-Henckels-Professional-S-Knife-Block-Set-7-piece-Forged-Made-in-Germany-FREE-Hand-Held-Knife-Sharpener-169-91-with-Free-Shipping

ape 03-16-2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJO (Post 58240956)
This.

CJ

That.

Rubicon_Joey 03-19-2013 06:09 PM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/...UTF8&psc=1
I suggest these. They have proven to be nice sharp knives for me. However, watch the price on amazon as it fluctuates often. I ordered them at around $150 and then an hour later they were $13X something and before I could call amazon they were down to $12X something. Amazon was nice enough to refund the difference even though its not their policy to do so after an item ships.

Disregard the video review. He got a defective knife, it happens. I'm sure either Henckels or Amazon will take care of it. I would be upset to if mine snapped but, I know that manufacturing defects do happen and the price of catching them all would make the knives much more expensive. My knives have not rusted in the time since Feb 22nd of last year when I bought them, but I do take care of them and by that I mean....wash, dry and store them in the block. It's that simple...(no dishwasher!)....

Are the best knives out there? Nope, but they are great knives for the money (provided you get them at the right price) and with proper care should last quite a while.

Minmae 03-19-2013 10:18 PM

So sad,price is back to 490 dollars at this time.

FAMIR 03-19-2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheIronist (Post 58250074)
Hmm, that is interesting. Why does the picture show the tang if it is stamped? I thought the tang is proof that a the knife was forged as it runs through the whole knife. That is tricky.

compare to those said forged, you will see the difference. The stamped ones are one piece even thickness metal, the forged ones at the handle have a bump.

FAMIR 03-19-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minmae (Post 58334496)
So sad,price is back to 490 dollars at this time.

Don't need to be sad, it's just a so so set, for the price, you'd better buy some cheap steak knife and one forged chef, one paring, and some type that you like. Costco has a set whatever brand forged, also sound nice. Even the henckels cheapest forge line, you can get some good result.