Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Hot Deals (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Canon EF 8-15mm f/4.0L USM Wide Fisheye Zoom Lens w/ Pouch, Cleaning kit and 3 Yr. Extended Warranty - $1121 + Shipping @ Adorama (http://slickdeals.net/f/5907076-canon-ef-8-15mm-f-4-0l-usm-wide-fisheye-zoom-lens-w-pouch-cleaning-kit-and-3-yr-extended-warranty-1121-shipping-adorama)

gabe23111 03-14-2013 09:22 AM

Canon EF 8-15mm f/4.0L USM Wide Fisheye Zoom Lens w/ Pouch, Cleaning kit and 3 Yr. Extended Warranty - $1121 + Shipping @ Adorama

65532 Attachment(s)
Price reflected in cart

Link [adorama.com]

$1300 on Amazon [amazon.com] & B&H [bhphotovideo.com] for the lens

Bundle includes:
Canon EF 8-15mm f/4.0L USM Wide Fisheye Zoom Lens
Slinger Neoprene Lens Pouch [adorama.com]
Adorama Cleaning Kit for Optics, Lenses, and Digital Point & Shoot Cameras [adorama.com]
Mack 3 Year Extended Warranty for Lenses Valued up to $5,000.00 [adorama.com]

vip00 03-14-2013 10:11 AM

A lot of money for glass that most people won't get a whole lot of use out of... but from what I understand if you want a fisheye for a Canon, this is the best lens - period. It also appears to be the best ever price for this lens that I can find.

120 Minute Man 03-14-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vip00 (Post 58217616)
A lot of money for glass that most people won't get a whole lot of use out of... but from what I understand if you want a fisheye for a Canon, this is the best lens - period. It also appears to be the best ever price for this lens that I can find.

Exactly what I was thinking. That's a lot of dough for a very specialized lens that you won't use that often.

plankalkul 03-14-2013 11:00 AM

unless you're a skateboarder

sniperruff 03-14-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 120 Minute Man (Post 58217654)
Exactly what I was thinking. That's a lot of dough for a very specialized lens that you won't use that often.

Hence it's a "specialized" lens ;)

jdramirez 03-14-2013 11:28 AM

I got a rokinon fisheye for 250 and it is fun to play with on my crop sensor. but 1100 is a jagged pill to swallow.

megamanny2000 03-14-2013 11:53 AM

Does this come with the lens hood and cover?

smurf 03-14-2013 11:55 AM

I have this lens and love it. It's great, but I tend to shoot in small and confined spaces and it helps. I use this on my 5D mark II.

Sam Lin 03-14-2013 11:56 AM

Thanks for the post. I didn't get free shipping, but have no problem with that.

Sam

gabe23111 03-14-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Lin (Post 58220242)
Thanks for the post. I didn't get free shipping, but have no problem with that.

Sam

Sorry about that Sam. My mistake.
I corrected the title.

uscpsycho 03-14-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megamanny2000 (Post 58220170)

A lens hood is impossible for a full frame, 180 degree circular fisheye lens like this.

Not sure if there is a cover, there probably is.

If anyone is considering this lens, you should consider the Sigma 8mm circular fisheye. For most fisheye purposes the Sigma is probably all you need, plus it's faster. It's a great lens and it's a fraction of the price. You can routinely get it around $500 on eBay.

If you think you need a fisheye with zoom keep in mind that on a full frame body you will not get a full circle at all focal lengths (don't know if you would with a crop sensor). You only get a full circle at the widest range; at 15mm you're going to get a cropped circle similar to what you'd get with the HD Rokinon fisheye (the one with the removable hood). So as a full circle fisheye this is closer to the Sigma than you might realize.

I haven't personally used the 8-15 but I have the Sigma 8mm fisheye and the HD Rokinon 8mm fighesys (and prior to that had the non-HD Rokinon). I came close to buying the Canon 8-15 but the Sigma is more than adequate.
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdramirez (Post 58219604)
I got a rokinon fisheye for 250 and it is fun to play with on my crop sensor. but 1100 is a jagged pill to swallow.

Rokinon is not a circular fisheye, even on a crop sensor, so it's not a fair comparison. And wide open Rokinon is a blurry mess. It's very sharp stopped down though.

TidalWaveOne 03-14-2013 12:42 PM

Would like to have this lens but I'm not that wealthy as to want to spend so much money on fisheye. Pocket change for Mitt Romney though.

yue56 03-14-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

It actually comes with both. The lens cap is a specialized cap that actually goes over the hood with extra height to cover the protruding element.
The lens hood will show up in your frame for all focal lengths except 14-15mm on full frame.

jdramirez 03-14-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uscpsycho (Post 58220604)
A lens hood is impossible for a full frame, 180 degree circular fisheye lens like this.

If anyone is considering this lens, you should consider the Sigma 8mm circular fisheye. For most fisheye purposes the Sigma is probably all you need, plus it's faster. It's a great lens and it's a fraction of the price. You can routinely get it around $500 on eBay.

If you think you need a fisheye with zoom keep in mind that on a full frame body you will not get a full circle at all focal lengths (don't know if you would with a crop sensor). You only get a full circle at the widest range; at 15mm you're going to get a cropped circle similar to what you'd get with the HD Rokinon fisheye (the one with the removable hood). So as a full circle fisheye this is closer to the Sigma than you might realize.

I haven't personally used the 8-15 but I have the Sigma 8mm fisheye and the HD Rokinon 8mm fighesys (and prior to that had the non-HD Rokinon). I came close to buying the Canon 8-15 but the Sigma is more than adequate.

Rokinon is not a circular fisheye, even on a crop sensor, so it's not a fair comparison. And wide open Rokinon is a blurry mess. It's very sharp stopped down though.

Who buys a fisheye and doesn't stop it down. I don't use it for its shallow depth of field.

ZuilSerip 03-14-2013 01:35 PM

A question to those that own fisheye lenses.

To what extent can you use software (PS or something else) to remove the distortion caused by the lens? I.e., map from a fisheye projection to a more rectilinear one...

madambacon 03-14-2013 02:39 PM

Anyone know a more affordable alternative to this lens?

uscpsycho 03-14-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathabacon (Post 58224296)

If you want a zoom this is the only game in town.

If you just want a really good fisheye (value of zoom for a fisheye lens is dubious) check out the Sigma 8mm fisheye I discussed earlier in the thread. Or the Rokinon if you don't need a circular fisheye.

jdramirez 03-14-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uscpsycho (Post 58220604)

while I'm thinking about it, 8 mm is circular on a full frame. on a crop, it is about 13 mm.

And generally I stop the lens to around f8 or greater and I find that everything is in focus because the depthof field is so great.

So much so, that the minimum focusing distance is around two inches...

jdramirez 03-14-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uscpsycho (Post 58224454)
If you want a zoom this is the only game in town.

If you just want a really good fisheye (value of zoom for a fisheye lens is dubious) check out the Sigma 8mm fisheye I discussed earlier in the thread. Or the Rokinon if you don't need a circular fisheye.

Are you suggesting the hood gets in the way... becausethey'reis a new model where the hood is entirely removable.

jdramirez 03-14-2013 03:26 PM

this might work..
http://www.facebook.com/media/set...320&type=1

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZuilSerip (Post 58222904)

To what extent can you use software (PS or something else) to remove the distortion caused by the lens? I.e., map from a fisheye projection to a more rectilinear one...

if youwant a crappy looking photo, sure.

uscpsycho 03-14-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdramirez (Post 58225092)
Are you suggesting the hood gets in the way... becausethey'reis a new model where the hood is entirely removable.

If you have a full frame sensor you still get a cropped circle even with the hood removed. I have this lens and a FF sensor.

If you have a crop sensor the image will fill the frame completely, so you're not getting a circular fisheye, it's a diagonal fisheye. You'll get cool shots, but they'll be rectangular instead of round.

If you have a FF sensor and don't mind a non-circular fisheye it's easy enough to use lightroom (or other software) to bulk crop your photos to get the meat. But it will be rectangular, just like with a crop sensor.

Bottom line with the Rokinon you won't get a circular fisheye shot with/without the hood on a FF or crop sensor.

MaizeOut 03-14-2013 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathabacon (Post 58224296)

How about a Canon 15mm Fisheye? Unless you want a circular fisheye view, 15mm is a really good lens and it's faster at f/2.8.

I currently own this 8-15 and I find that I use it more at 14-15mm to make it a full frame fisheye view.

jdramirez 03-14-2013 05:26 PM

I saw an example shot with full frame and evidently I didn't examine it thoroughly

jdramirez 03-14-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uscpsycho (Post 58226104)
If you have a full frame sensor you still get a cropped circle even with the hood removed. I have this lens and a FF sensor.

If you have a crop sensor the image will fill the frame completely, so you're not getting a circular fisheye, it's a diagonal fisheye. You'll get cool shots, but they'll be rectangular instead of round.

If you have a FF sensor and don't mind a non-circular fisheye it's easy enough to use lightroom (or other software) to bulk crop your photos to get the meat. But it will be rectangular, just like with a crop sensor.

Bottom line with the Rokinon you won't get a circular fisheye shot with/without the hood on a FF or crop sensor.

I went and looked and I retract my rebuttals. My bad.

jdramirez 03-14-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Are you talking about cropping into the image... you can do that... but again... it is going to be distorted. It sounds like what you are interested in is a super wide angle lens that isn't a fisheye, like a 16-35 for full frame or a 11-16mm tokina. I'd probably point you in that direction.

uscpsycho 03-14-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdramirez (Post 58229658)
Are you talking about cropping into the image... you can do that... but again... it is going to be distorted. It sounds like what you are interested in is a super wide angle lens that isn't a fisheye, like a 16-35 for full frame or a 11-16mm tokina. I'd probably point you in that direction.

The Tokina is not for full frame sensors.

Having used both the Canon 16-35 and 17-40 lenses I can't recommend the 16-35. It's a fine lens but for about double the price offers no tangible advantage over the 17-40. Yes, it is a stop faster but in this focal range you're not likely going to stop down to 2.8 and any full frame Canon body has a sensor sensitive enough that you'll be fine at f4. Remember, at this focal length you can get away with handholding at very slow shutter speeds.

Plus the 17-40 gives you a little more reach which will come in handy more than a having an extra stop will.

houh0316 03-14-2013 10:34 PM

Quote:

well.. Canon DPP has the option for you to do that
8-15 Fisheye is def the best zoom fish eye on the market

jdramirez 03-15-2013 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uscpsycho (Post 58231392)
The Tokina is not for full frame sensors.

Having used both the Canon 16-35 and 17-40 lenses I can't recommend the 16-35. It's a fine lens but for about double the price offers no tangible advantage over the 17-40. Yes, it is a stop faster but in this focal range you're not likely going to stop down to 2.8 and any full frame Canon body has a sensor sensitive enough that you'll be fine at f4. Remember, at this focal length you can get away with handholding at very slow shutter speeds.

Plus the 17-40 gives you a little more reach which will come in handy more than a having an extra stop will.

I should have been more specific... 11-16 for crop... 16-35 for ff.

Cookie21 03-15-2013 05:23 PM

Quote:

yes & yes / and it's a great glass ;) !

ObjectAgnosia 03-16-2013 05:39 AM

Shipping is now free! Making it harder for me to resist...

stayhumble 03-19-2013 09:53 AM

bottom line, don't buy this lens unless you are getting paid for work or selling for profit.

if you want a great fisheye, go with the 15mm. bit on the budget? go with sigma's 15mm, then rokinon/promaster/bell howell/etc

ive owned both 8-15 and canon 15mm

use roughly 8-12mm

as for distortion correct....why would you? the whole point of a fish eye lens is to be distorted. even if you were to pull ur lines in, youre not going to be anywhere near rectilinear.