Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Deal Talk (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   You Need A Budget 4 Personal Finance Software (PC/Mac) $20.50 (http://slickdeals.net/f/5924120-you-need-a-budget-4-personal-finance-software-pc-mac-20-50)

beamscout 03-22-2013 10:22 AM

You Need A Budget 4 Personal Finance Software (PC/Mac) $20.50

65533 Attachment(s)
UPDATE: Looks like the sale has been extended another 24 hours!

Popular budgeting software, You Need a Budget (or YNAB) is on sale for $20.40 for 24 hours on Steam.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/227320/

Read more about YNAB here:
http://www.youneedabudget.com/
Download Steam here:
http://store.steampowered.com/about/

Personally, I love the software. Along with the mobile app, its really helped me get my finances back on track.

Check out BTs4me's tips in the wiki for using the app without needing Steam.

yuugotserved 03-22-2013 10:22 AM

You Need A Budget 4 Personal Finance Software (PC/Mac) $20.50

1 Attachment(s)
Steam has You Need A Budget 4 (YNAB) Personal Finance Software for $20.40. Thanks beamscout

Price Research: Our research indicates that You Need A Budget (YNAB) is $44.50 lower (68% savings) than the next best available price from a reputable merchant with prices starting at $65. - yuugotserved

wikipost 03-22-2013 10:22 AM

NOT DEAD - I was able to purchase at 11:20 PDT.

Able to purchase as well at 11:22 PDT.

UPDATE: Looks like the sale has been extended another 24 hours!

About YNAB (taken from users' comments):

The whole point is that it forces you to analyse your spending and be more aware of where your money is going.
YNAB is essentially a more flexible method of the envelope system with some conveniences thrown in like automatic transactions (reoccurring bills/payments/etc). Mint tells you how much you're already spending and where, YNAB tells you how much you WILL actually be able to spend and where. YNAB is preemptive instead of reactive like Mint or other solutions. Unlike Mint, it doesn't automatically sync up all your accounts and transactions. It's more like a check register where you have to enter everything manually (there are mobile apps for this). You can import transactions, if you download them in a certain format from your bank, but the idea is to get you to be aware of where you're spending your money. Sort of like counting calories. .... As far as I can tell it's just a really sharp-looking spreadsheet.

Instructions for Removing Steam once installed:

You only need Steam to buy YNAB, but not to run it after the first time. You need to run it through Steam at least once, but once you run it there you can click Help->About and get a key to use in the standalone version as well. At that point you can remove it from Steam if you don't want to run it through there.

It doesn't need Steam to be running in order to operate, but you'll need to create a shortcut to the program manually, as the Steam-generated shortcut starts Steam up first.

You can sign up for Steam, buy YNAB, install Steam, install YNAB, run YNAB and then go to the 'About YNB' section and copy the activation key to the clipboard. Save that key to a text file for safe keeping. Uninstall YNAB, uninstall Steam. Go to the YNAB homepage and download the stand alone version, activate with key. Never use Steam again.

TIP (thanks to DealMonkey):

Download and install TrueCrypt. Store your YNAB files in an encrypted container. YNAB doesn't have a password protected option so TrueCrypt will give you security of your files.

Already Own YNAB?

Email them and ask them to refund the difference. They have been doing this for people. Great customer support.

webculb 03-22-2013 10:36 AM

If I had enough money for a budget I'd get this. TU

FaMiNe 03-22-2013 10:39 AM

deleted

rolfeskj 03-22-2013 10:44 AM

I keep blowing my budget buying stuff on steam...

iiviip3 03-22-2013 10:46 AM

I've used YNAB for months. It's just easier than manipulating an excel spreadsheet and less intimidating for others. I'm getting it for my brother and girlfriend immediately. This price is a steal! Thank you!

beamscout 03-22-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iiviip3 (Post 58395900)
I've used YNAB for months. It's just easier than manipulating an excel spreadsheet and less intimidating for others. I'm getting it for my brother and girlfriend immediately. This price is a steal! Thank you!

No problem! Glad to help!

m3fawner 03-22-2013 10:53 AM

Any benefits of this over mint.com? It looks like it's the same thing minus the ease of mint's auto updating.

zechs77 03-22-2013 10:56 AM

Does this factor in surprise expenses like pet emergencies, parking tickets, family emergencies, and personal injuries including time off from work and workers comp? Will this make me rich?

beamscout 03-22-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m3fawner (Post 58396056)
Any benefits of this over mint.com? It looks like it's the same thing minus the ease of mint's auto updating.

The thinking behind YNAB is to take what you have, decide what to do with it, and then follow your plan.

If you're budgeting in Mint and following your plan, then there aren't substantial differences. The problem, for me at least, was that I didn't check Mint every day. The auto-updating became a crutch and I was less responsible. Manual entry puts me closer to my accounts because it forces me to look at them every time I want to make a purchase.

Sidenote: YNAB can import historical transaction data if your bank provides that info in a supported filetype, but at that point the money has already been spent and I don't see how that would help keep a budget.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zechs77 (Post 58396156)
Does this factor in surprise expenses like pet emergencies, parking tickets, family emergencies, and personal injuries including time off from work and workers comp?

Yes. Check out the Rainy Day expenses part on their website.
http://www.youneedabudget.com/method/rule-two
Maybe drive a little slower too. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by zechs77 (Post 58396156)
Will this make me rich?

No. How you decide to use your money will.

shastada 03-22-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Sounds worse to me... Mint is great, love having the historical data available to see where i was good/bad and figure out why and what to change. I've definitely changed my habits in the year plus i've been using it.

m3fawner 03-22-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shastada (Post 58396652)
Sounds worse to me... Mint is great, love having the historical data available to see where i was good/bad and figure out why and what to change. I've definitely changed my habits in the year plus i've been using it.

Absolutely. It's amazing when you see how every little transaction breaks down. Plus their customer service is outstanding. I've cut my budget by 40% or so since using it.

darkluz 03-22-2013 12:21 PM

Does this mean I need to run steam to use this everytime?

timironi 03-22-2013 12:24 PM

How would this compare to something like gnucash?

darkluz 03-22-2013 12:36 PM

Here is more comments from people who have bought it
http://www.reddit.com/r/personalf..._on_steam/

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalf..._on_steam/

best comment for me:

"It's basically an envelope system. If you are worried about the cost, you could try one of the free envelope systems (i.e. EEBA, up to a certain number of envelopes) or start with the free trial.
I use YNAB, because even though I do pretty well with my money, I noticed that i was overspending (especially on the weekends - surprise). I decided to try YNAB (I already have Mint) because you have to record everything you spend. I had read that writing things down was the best way to bring more consciousness to your spending. Same thing as people who lose weight by writing down what you eat! It's like Weight Watchers for your wallet.
Works like a charm. At first I didn't notice a difference and felt frustrated because I was always about $100 off. Three months later, I'm to the dollar and have saved an additional $1600 on top of my other savings and retirement.
The Cons are at times I felt like it was confusing and occasionally I have a technical problem, but they do have free webinars and free help. If you use it, stick with it. I have recommended it and might buy it for my mom as a Christmas gift!"

Jassack04 03-22-2013 12:42 PM

Awesome find. Bought it. I've thought very hard about buying this before at $60, was a no-brainer at $20. Looks like it follows similar principle's to Dave Ramsay's strategies.

beamscout 03-22-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkluz (Post 58398784)

I don't believe so. It gives you the option to install a desktop shortcut. Alternatively, an app launcher like Alfred (Mac) finds it just fine.
I'm not entirely sure how it installs on a Windows machine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jassack04 (Post 58399378)
Awesome find. Bought it. I've thought very hard about buying this before at $60, was a no-brainer at $20. Looks like it follows similar principle's to Dave Ramsay's strategies.

Very similar to Ramsey. Glad it helped you!

USCsteveO 03-22-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Most times which you download / install programs via Steam, Steam must be running. Steam installs with Startup with Windows on by default. If you're machine boots in under 30 seconds and you can launch the browser in under a minute, I'd leave the startup with windows enabled so that you don't worry about it when launching YNAB.

Just my input, I have my degree in Finance and used to think I was good with money, didn't need a budget, etc etc. I met my future wife who was very thrifty and didn't like my spending habits (hitting up SD every 30 minutes or so while at work every hour at home). YNAB helped me stick with my "His Fun Money" budget category pretty well. YNAB released a software update (V4 I believe) about a year ago, and wanted $40+ for my V3 to be updated. I have since lost the budget files twice (once my fault and once due to an unfortunate theft occurrence), so this upgrade will go into consideration with the cloud save of your budget and the mobile app.

dogeatdog 03-22-2013 01:37 PM

or you can just use mint for free... just saying

BTs4me 03-22-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

YNAb = Proactive vs. Mint = Reactive.

I just posted info to Wiki that may be useful in determining value over Mint as well as how to launch without using Steam (after initial start up).

scy2200j 03-22-2013 02:58 PM

Great, thanks!

beamscout 03-22-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTs4me (Post 58401560)

I just posted info to Wiki that may be useful in determining value over Mint as well as how to launch without using Steam (after initial start up).

Thanks for the info in the wiki. Good info.

Renard 03-22-2013 03:52 PM

Can I gift this to the President?

ibnuts 03-22-2013 03:55 PM

Mint sucks. I used it for ages, but you can only review things after they happen. It's more of an account management tool, as the budgeting features are crap.

YNAB, in comparison, is great. My only issue is that I bought it for $60 only a week ago -_-

shastada 03-22-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibnuts (Post 58403830)
Mint sucks. I used it for ages, but you can only review things after they happen. It's more of an account management tool, as the budgeting features are crap.

YNAB, in comparison, is great. My only issue is that I bought it for $60 only a week ago -_-

i don't understand your complaint about mint. you can set budgets and you can view them on your phone. if you want to go out to eat for example you can immediately check how much is still in the monthly budget for eating out and decide pro/con going out. What else could you possibly want with a budget? I see nothing reactive about that. Credit card charges tend to post within hours to mint so they know what your doing pretty quickly, hard to overspend and not realize it.

ibnuts 03-22-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shastada (Post 58404694)
i don't understand your complaint about mint. you can set budgets and you can view them on your phone. if you want to go out to eat for example you can immediately check how much is still in the monthly budget for eating out and decide pro/con going out. What else could you possibly want with a budget? I see nothing reactive about that. Credit card charges tend to post within hours to mint so they know what your doing pretty quickly, hard to overspend and not realize it.

That's the point--it takes you out of the equation by doing everything automatically. I'd let it go for weeks at a time without logging in. Also, the budgeting features were horrendous. I tried to set a budget that would roll over every month, and every month it would email telling me I went over (i.e. it never actually rolled over and built a surplus).

The biggest thing I like about YNAB is that when you budget for something, it's like you already spent it; you can actually see that you don't have that money anymore, even though it's in your accounts. With Mint, you could look at what you spent on things historically and estimate a budget, but it was hard to change the budget categories and amounts around dynamically when your situation would change (i.e. Rule 3 of YNAB, "roll with the punches"). It was also extremely slow and had long-standing, unresolved problems with several of my accounts. Plus, their customer service sucked. You pretty much had forums in which their reps rarely responded, and that's it. YNAB has free, live, online instructor-led classes and an active forum in which the devs actually respond quickly.

Mint is an excuse for Intuit to sell you partner's products. You get what you pay for. YNAB is a lot better. That said, if you're happy with Mint, good for you. But given that YNAB is also free for the first 34 days, you might as well try it out and see what the fuss is about. You can always buy YNAB on Steam and put it in your inventory, then sell it for a profit when the price goes back up if you decide you don't want it.

elliephant 03-22-2013 06:41 PM

In for 536!
Ship directly to D.C.

mulliganman 03-22-2013 07:04 PM

Thanks OP! Followed instructions in wiki. Worked like a charm.

mattskent 03-22-2013 08:39 PM

I've been using YNAB for about a year now and it's given me much greater control over my finances than Mint ever did. It's worth every penny at the usual $60 - this price is a steal.

cacophony777 03-22-2013 09:16 PM

Thanks OP. Wiki instructions worked great.

beamscout 03-22-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulliganman (Post 58407460)
Thanks OP! Followed instructions in wiki. Worked like a charm.

Awesome! I'm just glad this benefited a few folks.
Make sure you throw some rep BTs4me's way! They're the one that figured out all of that wiki info. http://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=58401560&postcount=20

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattskent (Post 58409168)
I've been using YNAB for about a year now and it's given me much greater control over my finances than Mint ever did. It's worth every penny at the usual $60 - this price is a steal.

Agreed. Mint works for some, but I just wasn't one of those people.

mausdmchl 03-22-2013 09:19 PM

Hmmmm... Valve is subliminally telling me something.

cacophony777 03-22-2013 09:24 PM

The problem with using Mint is in the Privacy and Security Policy (https://www.mint.com/how-it-works.../policy/):

Your data is yours. You can remove it anytime you want. When you request us to delete your account for the Service, your data will be permanently expunged from our primary production servers and further access to your account will not be possible. We will also promptly disconnect any connection we had established to your Account Information and delete all account credentials. However, portions of your data, consisting of aggregate data derived from your Account Information, may remain on our production servers indefinitely. Your data may also remain on a backup server or media. Intuit keeps these backups to ensure our continued ability to provide the Service to you in the event of malfunction or damage to our primary production servers. We also reserve the right to use any aggregated or anonymous data derived from or incorporating your personal information.

And there's also this:

Personal information may be transferred to a third party as a result of a sale, acquisition, merger, reorganization or other change of control. If we sell, merge or transfer any part of our business, part of the sale may include your personal information.

Considering that the purpose of the site is to aggregate all of your financial information (potentially going back many years), I find the policy a bit unsettling.

BoldIntrepid 03-22-2013 09:25 PM

Since when did steam sell software?

beamscout 03-22-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoldIntrepid (Post 58409954)
Since when did steam sell software?

Last fall sometime I believe. Wondering if they'll have a Steam Summer Software Sale this year...

sd444 03-22-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renard (Post 58403782)

You Need To Fix The Incompetent Republican Mess Yet Again (YNTFTIRMYA) is much better software.

lbadeleon 03-22-2013 09:38 PM

Will this prevent me from further digital hoarding, or just add to the digital hoard pile?

xxxHolic 03-22-2013 09:39 PM

I don't have a budget to buy this.

NORDO 03-22-2013 09:44 PM

Highly, highly, highly, highly recommend YNAB! Seriously, can't say enough good things about the software or the people behind it.

We were actually in a good financial situation when we started using it - it's definitely not *only* for people in debt or struggling with money, regardless of what you read.

Compared to Mint (which is what we were using before) it truly forces you to be aware of your spending. Beyond that, it's the only software I've found that has the ability to a) roll over category balances from month to month and b) allow you to live on last month's income.

Examples of what those mean...

a) Say you know you spend $1200 on Christmas presents every year. If you budget $100/month all year long, you'll have your $1200 already sitting in that category (which you can charge your purchases against in the software) when it's time to buy gifts in December.

b) This might not be possible right away for everyone but, basically, whenever you get paid you can allocate the money towards the current month or the next month. Eventually, you'll count everything towards next month. It's genius. At that point, when the 1st of the next month rolls around, you already know EXACTLY what you can spend/budget, since that money is already in your checking account. Furthermore, you can completely automate all bill payment since you're only spending money you already have.

Both concepts may be difficult to grasp by reading about them, but I highly recommend their extensive, awesome - and FREE - training/videos on their website:

http://www.youneedabudget.com/sup...-education

opspearhead 03-22-2013 09:48 PM

Anyone know how to gift this to the White House? I know someone that needs this.

Juicemann 03-22-2013 09:52 PM

I used Mint for 3 years and it's utter crap compared to YNAB.

Amazing deal, wish I could have scored a copy for $20.

0peJumeyS 03-22-2013 09:52 PM

I have created a pretty good spreadsheet in Excel that i use for my expenses. If anyone is interested in it PM me and I can send it to you (for free).

SimplyShane 03-22-2013 10:24 PM

Dedication is free.

tekniiiq 03-22-2013 10:28 PM

this is more of a scam. if you can afford this you are not really on a budget

HauntaVirus 03-22-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renard (Post 58403782)

Amen!

slicksteals1109 03-22-2013 10:40 PM

I too wish I could have scored this for $20...my upgrade didn't even cost $20. Such an Amazing deal! I endorse this software with my heart and soul. It's saved me from paycheck to paycheck hell. It's seen me through the last month of unemployment. I wouldn't have been in position I was without it.

Buy this!

Mr_Mountain_Man 03-22-2013 11:01 PM

I've found it almost impossible to stick to any budget I make ever since I found this one site called Slickdeals

corazones 03-22-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxxHolic (Post 58410134)
I don't have a budget to buy this.

catch 22:lmao:

meetyburger 03-22-2013 11:02 PM

I want to buy it to take advantage of the deal, but still want to think about it before I activiate it. If I use the "Buy for myself" option, can I still sell/transfer it later or should I use the Gift option? If I use the gift option, can I gift it back to myself if I decide to want it? Thanks!

Tyross 03-22-2013 11:05 PM

Do I have to use the cloud with this or can I use it without letting it on the net? Also, has anyone read the EULA regarding how they handle information, if so any issues there?

milko 03-22-2013 11:07 PM

hmm, copying the activation code, but the last set is only one character long, normal?

robinski_ 03-22-2013 11:08 PM

guess this is good for people not smart enough to do the math in their heads

DoesItReallyMat 03-22-2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meetyburger (Post 58411042)
If I use the "Buy for myself" option, can I still sell/transfer it later or should I use the Gift option?

Negative.. I mistakenly bought for myself once instead of a friend and they would NOT let me transfer it even though I had not activated it.

Can't speak to your other questions.

meetyburger 03-22-2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoesItReallyMat (Post 58411112)
Negative.. I mistakenly bought for myself once instead of a friend and they would NOT let me transfer it even though I had not activated it.

Can't speak to your other questions.

Sounds like gift it is then. I can just gift it to my son's account or something and then install it. lol. Thanks!

beamscout 03-22-2013 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milko (Post 58411088)
hmm, copying the activation code, but the last set is only one character long, normal?

Indeed.

flashfir 03-22-2013 11:37 PM

85% of the battle of being wise with your money

Is know where all of it is going. This tool is immensely helpful in doing so. Recent college graduate speaking who read

Ramit Sethi
http://www.amazon.com/Will-Teach-...0761147489

I'd also highly recommend
Randy Alcorn
http://www.amazon.com/Money-Posse...0842353607

722 03-22-2013 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashfir (Post 58411366)

Is know where all of it is going. This tool is immensely helpful in doing so. Recent college graduate speaking who read

Ramit Sethi

Randy Alcorn

I never understood the so-called $28,000/average wedding cost. That's seems way too high.

flashfir 03-22-2013 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 722 (Post 58411386)
I never understood the so-called $28,000/average wedding cost. That's seems way too high.

Yea but... when if and when I get married, I'm sure costs will be creep up. I sure hope not that high though! :shake:

722 03-22-2013 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashfir (Post 58411394)
Yea but... when if and when I get married, I'm sure costs will be creep up. I sure hope not that high though! :shake:

Haha, I guess. My future wife should know it will stay under 10k, tops. lol

Lobbymonster 03-23-2013 01:21 AM

I'm unfamiliar with Steam. It can be run through Steam? If I were to purchase this and always run through Steam, could I run the same program through Steam on multiple computers and my work will be updated through Steam across all machines?

Thank you gloriously in advance.

SlickerThanSnot 03-23-2013 02:42 AM

Thanks OP ... I am very excited about this! I downloaded via steam and then copied the activation key per the wiki on the first page and activated the non-steam version.(worked with no issues at all)

Spent the last hour creating categories and plugging numbers in .. I feel like it is helping just seeing everything in one place.(will be even better with the mobile apps)

Here is a handy training video on how to handle credit cards/debt
http://www.youneedabudget.com/sup...ds-in-ynab

Created a drop box account to store my data on the cloud and I accessed it through the YNAB lite iOS app(because it's the free one)

I wish the android app was free(it's $4.99), but I will have to spring for it so that my evil witch of a woman can contribute to getting us out the debt she heavily contributed to.

yehuda1 03-23-2013 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meetyburger (Post 58411042)
I want to buy it to take advantage of the deal, but still want to think about it before I activiate it. If I use the "Buy for myself" option, can I still sell/transfer it later or should I use the Gift option? If I use the gift option, can I gift it back to myself if I decide to want it? Thanks!

You should be able to gift back to yourself. I did this a few times before with games. Bought the items as gift, sent some to friends, gifted some back to my own account.

igividen 03-23-2013 03:39 AM

uhm...WTF...N41

mcmd 03-23-2013 03:47 AM

In 4 1.....installed......deleted Steam per WiKi.....

Thanks!

PooMBA 03-23-2013 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibnuts (Post 58403830)

Looks like you surely need YNAB. :D

shownfu 03-23-2013 04:19 AM

I've tried mint, got lazy with it. Never logged in.
Tried my own excel sheet with google drive, got too messy, gave up.

Just joined steam and purchased. Will install when I get home.

rustydud 03-23-2013 04:28 AM

Does this factor in surprise sex?

kylefn 03-23-2013 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beamscout (Post 58395084)
Popular budgeting software, You Need a Budget (or YNAB) is on sale for $20.40 for 24 hours on Steam.

Download Steam here:

Personally, I love the software. Along with the mobile app, its really helped me get my finances back on track.

Seems like a strange thing to be buying on Steam ...

algorhythm 03-23-2013 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustydud (Post 58412730)
Does this factor in surprise sex?

I think that's under "Tithing" :lol:

Jcwillia1 03-23-2013 05:25 AM

its called mint dot com it's free

brontes 03-23-2013 05:28 AM

I've been running [a homemade Excel version of] envelope budgeting for exactly two years now. It is amazing. Literally changed my life.

The two biggest points:
-- I walk around knowing I have $x to spend on whatever the hell I want. Those expenditures will never detract from anything else. Everything else is already accounted for. I can buy stuff worry-free, guilt-free.
-- I had some unexpected, reasonably large expenses pop up. I felt sick about the money for a day, until I realized my budget accounted for such a thing. Didn't even touch my do-whatever-I-want money, nor did I have to make any sacrifices to other semiflexible things (ie. food) that month or any other month. A few surprise bills that would have sent most people into a tailspin literally had no effect on me.

I hear people that make double-triple what I do complain about money and debt and it just boggles my mind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcwillia1 (Post 58413042)
its called mint dot com it's free

Charge everything (for rewards), use mint.com to track it all for you, reconcile with a real budget a couple times a month. Large or reoccuring cash expenditures are manually accounted for, and the rest of my pocket/wallet cash has already been accounted for as a "do whatever I wanted" expenditure. Works fantastic.

kneeldug 03-23-2013 05:31 AM

If you are on the fence, get the trial. I did.
After testing out YNAB, I can honestly say that there is no freaking way I will fill out the forms on an ongoing basis.
It looks great for figuring life out it you are not a cheapskate who naturally constricts spending or if you are living paycheck to paycheck. Of course, you also have to have a lot of time to screw with entering everything you buy manually on an ongoing basis.
This does not tie to bank and credit accounts and is therefore WAY too much time for me.
This thread has inspired me to put a simple budget into a spreadsheet. I like the idea of categorizing by weekly, monthly, yearly-ish, and one-time expenses.
If you sign up for automatic payments then your mindset is the opposite of this software's philosophy...with this, you have to think that manual is good because it increases consciousness of spending! This means that you must have ample time and mindspace for excessive activity logging.

jayphalla 03-23-2013 05:32 AM

jumping on software because it's a deal... budgeting?

nJoy7 03-23-2013 05:35 AM

I prefer the good ole' OpenOffice spreadsheet... but I've got a rather simple budget strategy (nearly everything I purchase is through a CC, helps track my items online and keeps them bulked together). As long as you pay it off weekly (and stay within your limits, use self control), you incur no interest rates and you gain CC reward points in the process! With the assistance of Mint.com, I'm all set!

Quote:

Originally Posted by brontes (Post 58413054)
Charge everything (for rewards), use mint.com to track it all for you, reconcile with a real budget a couple times a month. Large or reoccuring cash expenditures are manually accounted for, and the rest of my cash is considered "do whatever I want." Works fantastic.

+1 Great minds think alike! :bounce:

qqqxz 03-23-2013 05:47 AM

I would get this if it were less then five bucks.

Until then EEBA does what I need.

krishnaslick20 03-23-2013 05:59 AM

hi

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0peJumeyS (Post 58410314)
I have created a pretty good spreadsheet in Excel that i use for my expenses. If anyone is interested in it PM me and I can send it to you (for free).

Hi.. can you send me the excel please?

brontes 03-23-2013 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kneeldug (Post 58413070)
I can honestly say that there is no freaking way I will fill out the forms on an ongoing basis.
If you sign up for automatic payments then your mindset is the opposite of this software's philosophy...with this, you have to think that manual is good because it increases consciousness of spending!

Manually entering the price of that charge you just swiped is the polar opposite of automatic payment.

You just amazon one-clicked and later "automatically" paid for that crap you didn't really need? I one-clicked too, but I'll also see that $34.08 on that crap I didn't really need show up again, because I have to type in the number myself a week later. I saw the frequency of my expenditures in that category, how it affected my bottom line, and took a brief moment to again consider the actual value of the purchase to me. THAT is what will change your spending habits.

jbloggs 03-23-2013 06:20 AM

Is this the type of software you need to buy every year for updates like Quicken?

tetzaboca 03-23-2013 06:23 AM

I use Mint dot com isn't that the same thing except free?

minnus 03-23-2013 06:25 AM

What kind of value does this program add besides basically telling you what you can already derive? For example, does it make any recommendations as to how to use 'extra' money in a manner to earn more, like putting it into a CD / high yield savings?

If the program doesn't make suggestions, I don't see any reason why people would need a program like this. If your financial situation is so overly complex that a program is needed to organize it for you...you can probably afford a real financial adviser. For everyone else, I would imagine it is pretty easy to figure out how much money they're earning vs how much they're spending vs how much they want to spend.

Perhaps I am wrong.

pthartmann 03-23-2013 06:44 AM

Is it $5 additional for each android phone?

It seems like avoiding this software would keep $25-$30 in our budget =)

donkeybob 03-23-2013 06:56 AM

You are wrong, buYt I dont blame you because I used to think the same way. Like another person posted above, the value in YNAB is providing greater awareness of spending by forcing you to be on top of it. While you can set up auto importing of statement activity, you are discouraged from doing so. And after using it for a few months, I see why.

Much like calorie counters know, the act of counting is itself a tremendous way of financial hygiene. I immediately realized how and when I was leaking cash and what the behavior was that led to it. While my wife and I would treat ourselves to a fancy meal because it was only "once in awhile", the forced accountability revealed that we were doing it way more often than we thought.

We started using YNAB, not because if dire financial straits, but because we wanted to optimize our savings potential (we are nearly saved up for the ability to put 20% down on a dream house). YNAB is admittedly aimed at people who are living paycheck to paycheck or are underwater, simply because they are more acutely in need of a budgeting program, but it has proven to be a wonderful tool for us.

I used Mint for sometime, but for whatever reason, it never stuck. I've always viewed mint as something that showed historical spending (which did price useful when setting up our initial budget figures in YNAB), but I was never able to get a groove with it on actual daily budgeting. I truly believe that manual entry is key to being disciplined.

I wish I got it at $20. :(

donkeybob 03-23-2013 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pthartmann (Post 58413790)
Is it $5 additional for each android phone?

It seems like avoiding this software would keep $25-$30 in our budget =)

No, just a single purchase. They recommend buying through Amazon appstore for this reason, but I just bought through Google Play store once and then copied the APK to my wife's phone. I read in the forums that they were completely fine with that.

southernflyer 03-23-2013 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elliephant (Post 58407054)
In for 536!
Ship directly to D.C.

They were going to buy it, but it got cut out in the sequestor.

Great budgeting software, especially for rainy day expenses or calculating saving for a trip/car, etc. I think I bought mine around $40 around BF last year.

jmor 03-23-2013 07:23 AM

Quote:

Download Steam here:

Been waiting for this. Thank you beamscout.

barrenearth 03-23-2013 07:24 AM

I bought it yesterday and already have a clearer understanding of just how in trouble our family is in... but I can already see a plan for debt reduction forming by looking at where we can save.

Oh speaking of which, can a mod delete my account here, apparently I spent 134% of my income on deals from this site last year.... jk

beamscout 03-23-2013 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmor (Post 58414206)
Quote:

Download Steam here:

Been waiting for this. Thank you beamscout.

You and I both! Glad to help!

beamscout 03-23-2013 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrenearth (Post 58414222)
I bought it yesterday and already have a clearer understanding of just how in trouble our family is in... but I can already see a plan for debt reduction forming by looking at where we can save.

Oh speaking of which, can a mod delete my account here, apparently I spent 134% of my income on deals from this site last year.... jk

So glad you have a debt plan! Stay disciplined with the data entry and you'll be there in no time.

gti337 03-23-2013 07:51 AM

Seriously? Can't believe this is less than 1/3 of the normal cost. Great budget tool. I use it with Mint as a double check when I forget to enter bills.

It definitely makes you watch what you're doing with your money and plan when income comes in where you want it to go.

adealaday 03-23-2013 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timironi (Post 58398868)

i'm wondering the same thing. from the videos, it obviously has a nicer UI for the average customer. But it probably doesn't have all the extra features that GNUCash does if you are a heavy user/business owner.

Anyone with experiences of both care to share? Thanks in advance

jmedlin 03-23-2013 08:00 AM

YNAB, in concert with Dave Ramsey, changed my family's financial life. We went from not-quite making ends meet each month, to paying off over $40K in the last 2 years. That includes $10K of unplanned medical expenses that barely made a dent in our day-to-day lives (financially speaking). We tried Mint and making our own Excel sheet but they just didn't click for us.

vigorvermin 03-23-2013 08:17 AM

I downloaded the trial yesterday and messed around with it.

I hated it!

I am a small business owner and keep detailed records of spending for both my family and my business, and already was following their 4 rules way before I ever heard of them. My advice to you would be to create your own system of keeping track, you'll be much better off in the long run and it was built just for your needs, you created it. My system is in google docs version of excel, so it's also cloud based, accessible by phone and desktop, and proactive (I still update it everytime we make a purchase).

The key is to take their four rules and apply them however you do it. If you think this will help you do that, then I urge you to download the trial and explore it so you don't waste your money even more.

sardegna0102 03-23-2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adealaday (Post 58414608)
i'm wondering the same thing. from the videos, it obviously has a nicer UI for the average customer. But it probably doesn't have all the extra features that GNUCash does if you are a heavy user/business owner.

Anyone with experiences of both care to share? Thanks in advance

I use gnucash [gnucash.org] reguarly for personal finance and have tried YNAB for 30 days. The functionality of gnucash is basically the same as YNAB, but with a less shiny interface. YNAB was pretty intuitive to use. With gnucash, I had to read a lot of the documentation before I got things setup correctly.

If youre looking for free, open source software, and have some time to learn to use gnucash, I would recommend using it instead of YNAB.

adealaday 03-23-2013 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sardegna0102 (Post 58415048)
I use gnucash [gnucash.org] reguarly for personal finance and have tried YNAB for 30 days. The functionality of gnucash is basically the same as YNAB, but with a less shiny interface. YNAB was pretty intuitive to use. With gnucash, I had to read a lot of the documentation before I got things setup correctly.

If youre looking for free, open source software, and have some time to learn to use gnucash, I would recommend using it instead of YNAB.

thanks for the info. i just downloaded the trial and played around for a bit. I think i'm going to take the plunge, the YNAB emphasis on features fit better with what i need to do compared w/ gnu, though i'm a big fan of gnucash too.

first entry for ynab will be "bought ynab..."

tranceFusion 03-23-2013 08:42 AM

How does this compare to quicken? Does it have a check registry?

Nattefrost 03-23-2013 08:57 AM

The reason why I didn't like mint was bc its cloud based and I don't want to put my finances online. I see this one is the same cloud based. How safe is it? Thats my main concern-security

dealmonkey 03-23-2013 08:57 AM

Why is the Daily Deal expiring in about an hour? I just downloaded the trial to see how the software is.

Boma82 03-23-2013 09:04 AM

Thanks!!! After months of searching for an upgrade of my Excel budget. I finally found it!!!

I tried Mint, but didn't like it.

I just wanted something simple.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nattefrost (Post 58415428)
The reason why I didn't like mint was bc its cloud based and I don't want to put my finances online. I see this one is the same cloud based. How safe is it? Thats my main concern-security

It's not cloud based and it doesn't ask for passwords to your accounts.

It calculates the numbers you put in and the balance carries over to the next month so you can see what's left.

Just try the trial, if you are in the same boat as me, I think you'll like it.

Ignatius 03-23-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dealmonkey (Post 58415438)
Why is the Daily Deal expiring in about an hour? I just downloaded the trial to see how the software is.

It was yesterday's daily deal.

Also, in for one... and after importing my bank statements, I clearly need a budget. :|

Nattefrost 03-23-2013 09:17 AM

Thanks it made me very uneasy when mintlwanted to know all my passwords. Knowing if it gets hacked I'd be SOL.

Quote:

It's not cloud based and it doesn't ask for passwords to your accounts.

It calculates the numbers you put in and the balance carries over to the next month
so you can see what's left.

Just try the trial, if you are in the same boat as me, I think you'll like it.

Another-Nocturn 03-23-2013 09:32 AM

Awesome Budgeting app. to manage out family of 5, I've used Mint, Mvelopes, Quicken and one other from BofA which I cant even remember the name.

YNAB has the cleanest interface and the quickest workflow for planning AHEAD of your spending, not tracking behind it.

Its sort of like:
mvelopes without the stuffy feel and high pricetag;
Quicken without the bloatware and Intuits greedy sales pitches
Mint with REAL forward-looking budgeting tools that help you plan AHEAD, not just see what you already spent.

+1 to YNAB for anyone wanting a tool to plan your money, not just track what you already blew through

qqqxz 03-23-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vigorvermin (Post 58414890)
I downloaded the trial yesterday and messed around with it.

I hated it!

I am a small business owner and keep detailed records of spending for both my family and my business, and already was following their 4 rules way before I ever heard of them. My advice to you would be to create your own system of keeping track, you'll be much better off in the long run and it was built just for your needs, you created it. My system is in google docs version of excel, so it's also cloud based, accessible by phone and desktop, and proactive (I still update it everytime we make a purchase).

The key is to take their four rules and apply them however you do it. If you think this will help you do that, then I urge you to download the trial and explore it so you don't waste your money even more.

What are the four rules?

bitt3n 03-23-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beamscout (Post 58396536)
Maybe drive a little slower too. ;)

if he's already driving so slow he's getting parking tickets, I doubt that'll help.

SlickerThanSnot 03-23-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qqqxz (Post 58416004)
What are the four rules?

1. Buy YNAB.
2. Crush your enemies.
3. See them driven before you.
4. Hear the lamentation of their women.

beamscout 03-23-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bitt3n (Post 58416028)
if he's already driving so slow he's getting parking tickets, I doubt that'll help.

Read right over the 'parking' part. oops

dealmonkey 03-23-2013 09:57 AM

Well, I decided to buy it. The UI seems very nice. Easy to enter things.

Couple of things I dont like

1. The CSV from my bank is not in a format YNAB likes, so I have to edit the CSV file.
2. The reports page is nice and simple, but I dont see a way to save "Favorites". Say I frequently look at a report for how much I spend eating out. I dont see a way to save this report, not the actual data, just the criteria.

The good thing though, I see YNAB has an active forum.

TIP:
Download and install TrueCrypt. Store your YNAB files in an encrypted container. YNAB doesn't have a password protected option so TrueCrypt will give you security of your files.

pixelbender 03-23-2013 09:59 AM

Thanks op!

We have used the demo and are stoked to save a ton. I tried mint but all it really was was a dashboard of all your accounts. Plus (at the time at least) it didn't allow you to set up a budget based on a bi-weekly paycheck (most asinine thing ever).

Sukiyakii 03-23-2013 10:09 AM

I just missed this. When I added it to my cart it said 20.50 after I entered the payment info, I got an alert an item price changed and now it's 59.99. Oh well...maybe next time.

splashbk 03-23-2013 10:11 AM

Yep I must have just missed it too. I was buying it and then the price said 59.99.

knicksfan 03-23-2013 10:13 AM

D.E.A.D. Missed it!

DrYou 03-23-2013 10:13 AM

Congrats to all who get this... Great software, great training and support, mobile apps, etc. we demoed this in February and purchased at the beginning of this month for $60. This is a great price. Makes me wonder if version 5 is gearing up and that's why the price is adjusted.

Anyways, great deal.

smikwily 03-23-2013 10:18 AM

And I just missed it... Crappit!

stevenjchang 03-23-2013 10:28 AM

great, spent time reading this **** and i missed the deal, lol,

this was posted 24hrs ago? i don't remember ever seeing this before

dealmonkey 03-23-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenjchang (Post 58416850)

Yea, I thought the same thing. Sometimes a deal doesnt hit the FP until they nearly expire. Sucks but thats how the rating system works.

I can confirm the "no Steam required" workaround works. I have Steam on my desktop PC, installed YNAB, grabbed the key, then entered the key on the YNAB trial on my laptop.

mikephilly 03-23-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenjchang (Post 58416850)

LOL - same with me, sort of, I'm happy missing the deal (already up $20). Lots of good information to read on here and I look forward to checking into the alternative systems that people mentioned.

What I'd like to see is something to help me budget my TIME

crydee 03-23-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibnuts (Post 58406918)
That's the point--it takes you out of the equation by doing everything automatically. I'd let it go for weeks at a time without logging in. Also, the budgeting features were horrendous. I tried to set a budget that would roll over every month, and every month it would email telling me I went over (i.e. it never actually rolled over and built a surplus).

The biggest thing I like about YNAB is that when you budget for something, it's like you already spent it; you can actually see that you don't have that money anymore, even though it's in your accounts. With Mint, you could look at what you spent on things historically and estimate a budget, but it was hard to change the budget categories and amounts around dynamically when your situation would change (i.e. Rule 3 of YNAB, "roll with the punches"). It was also extremely slow and had long-standing, unresolved problems with several of my accounts. Plus, their customer service sucked. You pretty much had forums in which their reps rarely responded, and that's it. YNAB has free, live, online instructor-led classes and an active forum in which the devs actually respond quickly.

Mint is an excuse for Intuit to sell you partner's products. You get what you pay for. YNAB is a lot better. That said, if you're happy with Mint, good for you. But given that YNAB is also free for the first 34 days, you might as well try it out and see what the fuss is about. You can always buy YNAB on Steam and put it in your inventory, then sell it for a profit when the price goes back up if you decide you don't want it.

This is absolutely not true at all. I have my budget on mint and my shopping/entertainment roll over just fine. Both are at 2-3x what I had the budget set at because of roll over. Because you don't check the application everyday it falls short? Wouldn't you have to fire up YNAB everyday to record your transactions? How would that be different - both forcing you to open some software.

You can also add transactions in mint that will occur in the future and when that transaction automatically happens it merges them rather than double counting.

Mint continually says forums are not their main CS you're supposed to e-mail or whatever - I've got a response every time from them there.

Mint also allows you to add in your loan accounts and it will auto detect when payments are due, balances, ect.

If you have static income there is absolutely no reason to spend money on a budget tool. Download a spreadsheet template or use mint.

jbloggs 03-23-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timironi (Post 58398868)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloggs (Post 58413504)
Is this the type of software you need to buy every year for updates like Quicken?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tranceFusion (Post 58415240)
How does this compare to quicken? Does it have a check registry?

Seems the deal is over, but it would be still nice to know the answers to above quoted posts.

scottee 03-23-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloggs (Post 58417378)
Seems the deal is over, but it would be still nice to know the answers to above quoted posts.

I'm not sure how it's showing for everyone, but I just purchased 2 minutes ago $20.40. In the store, it still shows as almost 23 hours left on the sale.

I'm on the west coast if that matters, and purchase using partial steam wallet, and partial paypal.

march5th00 03-23-2013 11:23 AM

This is still Live. I just got it for 20.40. Also used paypal.

farang 03-23-2013 11:29 AM

ha! Looks like it was extended for another 24hrs.

BTs4me 03-23-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottee (Post 58417640)
I'm not sure how it's showing for everyone, but I just purchased 2 minutes ago $20.40. In the store, it still shows as almost 23 hours left on the sale.

I'm on the west coast if that matters, and purchase using partial steam wallet, and partial paypal.

Ditto. I purchased at 11:20 Arizona time. I wonder if it somehow knows the time zone the purchaser is operating under. everyone change your settings to Pacific time now and see if you can get it to go through for $20.40. I just purchased a 2nd one as a gift through PayPal and was charged $20.40. (I updated the Wiki to reflect not yet totally dead - maybe it's just time zone dead???)

tranceFusion 03-23-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

I went ahead and bought YNAB as a long-time Quicken user.

It has no investment tracking or automated transaction downloads.

It does have manual imports of bank statements, a far more streamlined and user-friendly check register interface, and WAY better budgeting. If you are like me and use Quicken only for the check register, I think this is the winner.

The only downside I have seen is that for scheduled transactions, if you want them to be entered into the register before their scheduled date, you have to manually press a button or change the transaction date to be earlier - Quicken lets you automatically enter them future-dated to the check register a specified number of days ahead of time, while YNAB inserts them on the actual day they are dated.

sixty4bit 03-23-2013 11:48 AM

With this do you have to input all of your online banking credentials like with Mint? Is that safe??

BTs4me 03-23-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nattefrost (Post 58415752)
Thanks it made me very uneasy when mintlwanted to know all my passwords. Knowing if it gets hacked I'd be SOL.

ditto. I never went any further when it requested my passwords! NO THANKS!

beamscout 03-23-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irish713 (Post 58418202)
With this do you have to input all of your online banking credentials like with Mint? Is that safe??

No. It's all manual entry. Cloud synced to different devices via dropbox. Check the wiki for some info on encrypting your data.

BTs4me 03-23-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

see post #94 for comparison to gnucash.

0peJumeyS 03-23-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0peJumeyS (Post 58410314)

please include your email address if you do message me, otherwise I can't send it to you.

handoverfist77 03-23-2013 12:35 PM

Just bought one. Thanks OP!

dealmonkey 03-23-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sardegna0102 (Post 58415048)

Ditto on your comments. I just about YNAB today. I used GNUCASH for about 4 years off and on. The interface of GNCASH is its biggest negative. The feature set is great but the menu system and look threw me off every time i would use it. As I said, I used it off and on, always kept it up to date though. YNAB looks like something I could actually use every day. Ill see how it pans out.

Sukiyakii 03-23-2013 02:09 PM

Am I going to have to keep this steam software on my pc?

*edit*

Never mind. the first post answered my question. Reading IS fundamental.

TechieSooner 03-23-2013 02:13 PM

I use Mint right now. Biggest problem is it doesn't "allocate" money you have set aside for budgeting.
IE, if you budget $100 a month toward a large purchase, Mint doesn't "deduct" it from your money sitting in your account. You never see how much money you have left until you spend it, basically. So as others have said, very reactionary.
My biggest drawback on YNAB is manual categorization of items.

My questions on YNAB, I just installed the trial and inputted this month's information:
I have 6 months of expenses I don't want to touch in my account. Yet, YNAB displays this money in the "available for budgeting". No, YNAB, it is not "available for budgeting", I don't ever want to touch that money unless I have to. How do I handle this? Is the only option creating a negative value account with the sum of my 6 months of expenses?

Second question is this: Mint's budgeting at least allows you to see "projected income" verses your budget, and it'll tell you how much money you have to work with. What's the similar functionality in YNAB?
I can see it has "Income for Mar" and "Budgeted for Mar" but being it adds the Starting Balance as income, it shows I have my full account value as income for Mar. So these values are way off kilter, I need some way to tell me that what I've budgeted for that month is or is not going to be a negative for the month.
Edit- As I type that, I realize that I can simply move the Starting Balance to February 28 to fix this. I'll leave my question there in case anyone else has it.

TechieSooner 03-23-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cacophony777 (Post 58409916)
The problem with using Mint is in the Privacy and Security Policy (https://www.mint.com/how-it-works.../policy/):
Your data may also remain on a backup server or media. Intuit keeps these backups to ensure our continued ability to provide the Service to you in the event of malfunction or damage to our primary production servers. We also reserve the right to use any aggregated or anonymous data derived from or incorporating your personal information.[/I]

So?
That just states that it backs your stuff up in case of server failure. I'd HOPE they were doing this so that I wouldn't lose all of my information and have to re-set my account up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cacophony777 (Post 58409916)
Personal information may be transferred to a third party as a result of a sale, acquisition, merger, reorganization or other change of control. If we sell, merge or transfer any part of our business, part of the sale may include your personal information.

Not really a shocker there, either. If they get bought out, the company that bought them now owns your personal information. This transfer of information is true in virtually all privacy policies.

If you're uneasy keeping your banking passwords online in the hands of third party, that's cool... But it's really grasping at straws to say they have a "problem" with their privacy policy.

texasPI 03-23-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

You do need to pay for major updates like version 4 to version 5. I ran version 3 for a long time just fine and was even able to install it on other machines since they make their older versions available for download for those that don't want to pay.

cacophony777 03-23-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechieSooner (Post 58420480)
So?
That just states that it backs your stuff up in case of server failure. I'd HOPE they were doing this so that I wouldn't lose all of my information and have to re-set my account up.

Not really a shocker there, either. If they get bought out, the company that bought them now owns your personal information. This transfer of information is true in virtually all privacy policies.

If you're uneasy keeping your banking passwords online in the hands of third party, that's cool... But it's really grasping at straws to say they have a "problem" with their privacy policy.

Yes, I have a problem with a single site knowing all my passwords. From an information security perspective you should too.

And I also have a problem with a site that has *all* my financial info selling it to whatever 3rd party they want without my consent. How could you possibly not have a problem with this? I have no doubt that every other company I deal with has a similar privacy policy, but the difference is that none of them have the collective knowledge and passwords of every critical account.

TechieSooner 03-23-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cacophony777 (Post 58420898)
Yes, I have a problem with a single site knowing all my passwords.

And I also have a problem with a site that has *all* my financial info selling it to whatever 3rd party they want without my consent. How could you possibly not have a problem with this? I have no doubt that every other company I deal with has a similar privacy policy, but the difference is that none of them aggregate every financial site.

So you change your tune from Mint's "problematic" privacy policy now to an argument that "why would I WANT to give it up"?

Strictly speaking, volunteering your money to a bank in the first place is introducing a third party between you and your money. Why did you trust your bank with your money? What if they get hacked or robbed? What if they get bought out without your consent? Oh, user, how could you possibly not have a problem with this?
(Sound familiar to your argument?)

It's based upon the fact that your passwords are online somewhere at any time anyway. Sure, someone could crack their way into Mint's servers, but if that's your argument: couldn't they do the same thing... At your bank itself? All you can do is stick your money in insured account(s).

MrBlackFriday 03-23-2013 03:02 PM

I'd like this software if it wasn't connected to anyone's servers etc. Because this can take your information and store it who knows where, that's definitely a deal breaker. Anyone who owned the rights to the software might as well sell this info for top dollar.

adealaday 03-23-2013 03:07 PM

do you mean you have 6 months of cash stored up just for rainy day purposes? if so, you can set it as an "off budget" account. just create a new account and select "off budget". then, create a transaction from your checking/savings account w/ the amount of the 6 months expenses into the off budget account. This way, that money won't be touched by the budget, but it will still be deducted from whatever your current checking/savings balance is.

i was a bit confused about what you were asking so i just assumed the above info is what you were looking for. hope it helps!

this same technique can be used for creating investment accounts, though it is pretty simplistic

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechieSooner (Post 58420360)
My questions on YNAB, I just installed the trial and inputted this month's information:
I have 6 months of expenses I don't want to touch in my account. Yet, YNAB displays this money in the "available for budgeting". No, YNAB, it is not "available for budgeting", I don't ever want to touch that money unless I have to. How do I handle this? Is the only option creating a negative value account with the sum of my 6 months of expenses?

cacophony777 03-23-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechieSooner (Post 58421182)
So you change your tune from Mint's "problematic" privacy policy now to an argument that "why would I WANT to give it up"?

Strictly speaking, volunteering your money to a bank in the first place is introducing a third party between you and your money. Why did you trust your bank with your money? What if they get hacked or robbed? What if they get bought out without your consent? Oh, user, how could you possibly not have a problem with this?
(Sound familiar to your argument?)

It's based upon the fact that your passwords are online somewhere at any time anyway. Sure, someone could crack their way into Mint's servers, but if that's your argument: couldn't they do the same thing... At your bank itself? All you can do is stick your money in insured account(s).

Surely you understand the difference between a point of failure for a single account and introducing a single point of failure for every account. Yes, there's risk everywhere. But there are also common sense approaches to reducing unnecessary risk and IMO avoiding MINT is one of them.

yehuda1 03-23-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBlackFriday (Post 58421226)
I'd like this software if it wasn't connected to anyone's servers etc. Because this can take your information and store it who knows where, that's definitely a deal breaker. Anyone who owned the rights to the software might as well sell this info for top dollar.

This software is fundamentally offline. The cloud part is optional (uses your Dropbox account) and you can choose not to use it.

presario 03-23-2013 03:38 PM

Microsoft Money has been Free for years :

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/search.aspx?q=money+plus+sunset
[microsoft.com]

z4m 03-23-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTs4me (Post 58401560)

Not entirely sure I agree with you there. I use Mint on a regular basis and it took me a little while to understand how to use the entire gamut of different features. Between budget and goals, I think it does everything that is advertised on the product's feature page [youneedabudget.com]. I haven't used it so not sure if there are any specific features that I'm not aware of.

For your monthly spending needs, you create a budget and it tracks against it. This part is reactive; however it also shows you how much money you have left for that month for each category (including sub-categories), which is proactive way of looking at it.

With goals, it allows you to track different debt reduction and/or saving goals, and projects when you will meet them.

Anything that YNAB does that I'm missing? I want to explore this and obviously I could use the 34 day trial, but am afraid I won't get the same price when the trial expires.

rondaobrn 03-23-2013 05:18 PM

Download nightmare! Run!!

algorhythm 03-23-2013 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rondaobrn (Post 58423196)

Uhh.. What?

dealmonkey 03-23-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBlackFriday (Post 58421226)

Like the other guy said, YNAB is offline. You can sync with Dropbox, but that's optional.

Quote:

Originally Posted by presario (Post 58421822)

Free for years and it hasn't been updated in years...

tgenius 03-23-2013 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rondaobrn (Post 58423196)

Was easy.. bought on steam, downloaded demo from the YNAB website and apply key, Done deal.

cdogg44 03-23-2013 07:44 PM

I bought it. For $20 it's too tempting not to try.

I'm a longtime Quicken user who switched to Moneydance last year after I bought a Mac and got sick of Quicken asking for money every 3 years because they "updated" their product and "quit supporting" downloads. I use it for the check register only, though, although I have every bill that's consistent and my paycheck scheduled in and forecasted out for 8 weeks, giving me an idea where I stand.

I'm not sure if this YNAB is going to work 100% for me. My wife gets paid odd amounts due to a commission based job and we charge everything to credit cards for cash back (carry no debt, Amex Blue Cash, Chase Freedom, and Penfed Platinum Rewards if you're interested). Not to mention I've been buying $500 Vanilla Visa Prepaid cards at Walgreens for the past year with the Amex for a net 4% off of everything I buy with them. This may make for some complicated budgeting!

I will say the single best thing I have ever done to save money was to set up an auto draft from my checking account to my savings account. It is done every Friday. I would say joining Slickdeals was the single best thing I've ever done to save money, but I'm not sure if this site has been a blessing or a curse!!!

dealmonkey 03-23-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdogg44 (Post 58425258)
I bought it. For $20 it's too tempting not to try.

I'm a longtime Quicken user who switched to Moneydance last year after I bought a Mac and got sick of Quicken asking for money every 3 years because they "updated" their product and "quit supporting" downloads. I use it for the check register only, though, although I have every bill that's consistent and my paycheck scheduled in and forecasted out for 8 weeks, giving me an idea where I stand.

I'm not sure if this YNAB is going to work 100% for me. My wife gets paid odd amounts due to a commission based job and we charge everything to credit cards for cash back (carry no debt, Amex Blue Cash, Chase Freedom, and Penfed Platinum Rewards if you're interested). Not to mention I've been buying $500 Vanilla Visa Prepaid cards at Walgreens for the past year with the Amex for a net 4% off of everything I buy with them. This may make for some complicated budgeting!

I will say the single best thing I have ever done to save money was to set up an auto draft from my checking account to my savings account. It is done every Friday. I would say joining Slickdeals was the single best thing I've ever done to save money, but I'm not sure if this site has been a blessing or a curse!!!

How do you get 4% off using prepaid cards?

I also charge everything and pay it off at the end of the month. If anyone here uses YNAB and does the same thing, please post how you handle this.

TechieSooner 03-23-2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adealaday (Post 58421302)
do you mean you have 6 months of cash stored up just for rainy day purposes? if so, you can set it as an "off budget" account. just create a new account and select "off budget". then, create a transaction from your checking/savings account w/ the amount of the 6 months expenses into the off budget account. This way, that money won't be touched by the budget, but it will still be deducted from whatever your current checking/savings balance is.

Good idea... My workaround was creating a one-time monthly budget to allocate that money into, but yours might work, too. My issue with that method is now I have a large sum of money as both an inflow AND an outflow, skewing reports.

My problem is these "starting balances" are shown as income for the month. So all of that money is seen as "income" for the month, well that will throw off their reporting tool averages because it's averaging my cash pile with my normal monthly income. I think it's an oversight on their part, but do you have any solution for that?

Along the lines of your initial statement... Maybe I just take X = Value of Account and Y = Rainy Day Fund and do X-Y = Z... And add the amount of Z into my available money, perhaps? Make the rainy day fund an off-budget account as you suggested. Any downsides to that that you can think of? This is really the only issue I see with it over Mint, I am liking the methodology otherwise, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by z4m (Post 58421942)
Not entirely sure I agree with you there. I use Mint on a regular basis and it took me a little while to understand how to use the entire gamut of different features. Between budget and goals, I think it does everything that is advertised on the product's feature page [youneedabudget.com]. I haven't used it so not sure if there are any specific features that I'm not aware of.

My main beef was this....
Show me how Mint can allocate money each month for a purpose like saving up for a car, or furniture, or whatever? Yes, you can do a rolling budget. But that money doesn't actually get allocated to that purpose. There's no sense of "Available Funds" in Mint. Sure, you have the grand totals on the left, but for most people: most of that stuff has been budgeted so it's not really available.
When I add a $100 a month category to YNAB, it subtracts it from available funds. Sure, Mint does that (kindof) within its Budgeting tool but only on a month to month basis. What kills Mint is those larger one-time purchases. Say, unplanned, you need to drop $500 on something. You don't have a predefined budget for that, so guess what? No matter where you stick that thing, it'll show that category as overbudget. Even though you had (in your mind) a set-aside amount part of your totals on the left screen in Mint for such cases, there's nowhere to place it in Mint. With YNAB, you go ahead and spend that money, and it flexes next month's budget to make up for it. Or, you just do a transfer out of your set-aside money for such purposes, and don't have to adjust the budget at all aside from maybe bumping up funding in future months to re-fund that set-aside money. Wouldn't be too hard, spend $50 less on eating out, $50 less on spending each month and you'll have that re-funded in 5 months. Mint can't do that. At least not that I know of.
Mint is too much month to month based. That's where it falters.

YNAB almost seems easier to move money around in. You have your budgeting page, and your transactions, that's it. In Mint I had the Overview, Transactions, Budgets, and Goals to get all the information that I needed that I can get from YNAB.

I'm not saying I won't go back to Mint, give me a few months on YNAB to see how I like it, but it answers some of my biggest Mint complaints.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dealmonkey (Post 58424362)
Like the other guy said, YNAB is offline. You can sync with Dropbox, but that's optional.

You can also just save the files in SkyDrive or any other cloud-based hosting. Not sure how it will work with Mobile syncing being I don't have an iPhone or Android to test with.

TechieSooner 03-23-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Why budget the 4%, though?
It sounds like you pay everything off, right?

So why even add your credit cards to the program? Just track your actual transactions out of your savings account, because there's never any balances left on the credit cards, right?

The 4% is the added bonus that you don't have to report to your budgeting software :)

If you take the 4% as cash, you could always just enter a transaction for it as income each month.

Many people steer clear of credit cards but if you know you can pay them off every month and treat them as an extension of your savings or checking account, they're a help. Rewards are just one portion. Many offer extended electronics warranties, etc. For FREE if you pay them off monthly. It has just always baffled my mind how so many people can't be disciplined enough to pay them off, though.

Quote:

I will say the single best thing I have ever done to save money was to set up an auto draft from my checking account to my savings account. It is done every Friday.

Funny, my bank is the opposite. I don't even use savings anymore, have just enough in there to consider it open.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dealmonkey (Post 58425368)
How do you get 4% off using prepaid cards?

My guess is he makes a purchase at WalMart (3% off Groceries or whatever) to buy the card with. But you don't get points on Prepaids so not sure how it's a benefit...

adealaday 03-23-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechieSooner (Post 58425438)
Good idea... My workaround was creating a one-time monthly budget to allocate that money into, but yours might work, too. My issue with that method is now I have a large sum of money as both an inflow AND an outflow, skewing reports.

My problem is these "starting balances" are shown as income for the month. So all of that money is seen as "income" for the month, well that will throw off their reporting tool averages because it's averaging my cash pile with my normal monthly income. I think it's an oversight on their part, but do you have any solution for that?

for the first part, why do you have both an inflow and outflow? My understanding of what you were describing is: say that you have 5000 dollars to start with and you want to set aside 1000 as a rainy day emergency fund that covers a few months of your expenses, now you do an off-budget account with 1000 to keep this 1000 away from being affected by the budget. If i understood correctly, then this means that the 1000 would be deducted/transferred from your original 5000, so in the end you should only see an outflow of 1000. When you generate a Net Worth report, you'll see that the 1000 is included, and you easily exclude it by deselecting in the report option. Then, let's say one day you need that 1000 bucks, you make another transfer, this time from the off budget rainy day back to your checking acct for 1000, and now you should have an inflow of 1000.

i think right now, this is an easier way to do the emergency fund if you already have a desired amt saved up for it. If not, then it's worthwhile doing it the YNAB way via their monthly budgeting Emergency Fund category so you save up towards it.

I agree that the income thing is a bit messed up, but I can see they made it this way b/c their approach is to forget the past and base the budget on the present. I actually used the workaround you suggested (inputing the starting balance as Feb and then start the budget on March). Your report would only look bad/weird for the first month or two.

Also, YNAB has a pretty good support base. I haven't had a chance to explore it yet, but i think the problems that we are thinking about now must have been brought up before, and they may have easier ways somewhere in that forum.

cdogg44 03-23-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechieSooner (Post 58425584)
Why budget the 4%, though?
It sounds like you pay everything off, right?

So why even add your credit cards to the program? Just track your actual transactions out of your savings account, because there's never any balances left on the credit cards, right?

The 4% is the added bonus that you don't have to report to your budgeting software :)

If you take the 4% as cash, you could always just enter a transaction for it as income each month.

This is where I'm trying to figure out what will be the easiest. Yes, I've never carried a balance on any card, so I could just pool all the transactions into a single account since that is where the money comes from anyway. I hadn't thought of that, but after I typing it out I think I like how it sounds! I still plan on using Moneydance, so that may be the better option for YNAB. After 6 months of using Moneydance it knows all the payees and I can enter a credit card statement in minutes.

I am NOT trying to account for the 4%. That would be a nightmare. I just let my Amex rewards build up and just take statement credits. Same with Chase and PenFed, but the Amex is the workhorse of our stable and builds up faster.

I have the older American Express Blue Cash. There is a little more to it but after I spend $6500 in a 12 month period the rewards jump to unlimited 5% on Gas, Groceries, and Drugstores. Buy a $500 prepaid Visa for $504.95 ($4.95 fee) and you $25.25 back on the Amex. Subtract the $4.95 fee and you just bought $500 for ~$480. I have a naming scheme I write on the cards with a sharpie and keep all their info in a spreadsheet. It's work no doubt, but ~$80/mo x 12 is still $1000 I didn't have last year.

flyin_fer 03-24-2013 06:50 AM

so funny, I have almost exactly the same lineup of credit cards. My guess is he is getting the high cash back bonus for purchases at pharmacy (in my case it's 5% for AMEX Blue Cash), and then he uses the prepaid cards at places that offer less cash back than he got for buying them.

edited... dropped the broken quote and while I was posting this original poster re 4% explained fully above. Makes total sense and if I thought my wife would put up with managing a bunch of Visa cards, I'd consider doing this too...

NORDO 03-24-2013 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Another-Nocturn (Post 58415958)
Its sort of like:
mvelopes without the stuffy feel and high pricetag;
Quicken without the bloatware and Intuits greedy sales pitches
Mint with REAL forward-looking budgeting tools that help you plan AHEAD, not just see what you already spent.

+1 to YNAB for anyone wanting a tool to plan your money, not just track what you already blew through

Great way of putting it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by qqqxz (Post 58416004)
What are the four rules?

1. Give every dollar a job (http://www.youneedabudget.com/method/rule-one)
2. Save for a Rainy Day (http://www.youneedabudget.com/method/rule-two)
3. Roll with the punches (http://www.youneedabudget.com/method/rule-three)
4. Live on last month's income (http://www.youneedabudget.com/method/rule-four)

As has been said, this is for BOTH people living paycheck to paycheck and people already in a good financial position. Since we were already in the black and mostly debt-free when we started using YNAB, rules two and four are what we've found most valuable.

cdogg44 03-24-2013 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyin_fer (Post 58430758)
edited... dropped the broken quote and while I was posting this original poster re 4% explained fully above. Makes total sense and if I thought my wife would put up with managing a bunch of Visa cards, I'd consider doing this too...

You're not alone. I don't even mess with my wife carrying prepaid cards. I only trust her with credit cards because she has been known to lose a few over the years. Thankfully they are easily cancelled!

Once I got her lined out on which card to use where (5% categories) it has been smooth sailing.

chitownsox14 03-24-2013 08:57 AM

Not sure if this has been discussed yet, but I recently bought YNAB and I emailed them yesterday asking if they could refund the difference. Ad sure enough they did. Worth a shot if you have it already

kxs250 03-24-2013 09:00 AM

Would YNAB be good to use in conjunction with Mint? Or would there be redundancies?

TechieSooner 03-24-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adealaday (Post 58425962)
for the first part, why do you have both an inflow and outflow? My understanding of what you were describing is: say that you have 5000 dollars to start with and you want to set aside 1000 as a rainy day emergency fund that covers a few months of your expenses, now you do an off-budget account with 1000 to keep this 1000 away from being affected by the budget. If i understood correctly, then this means that the 1000 would be deducted/transferred from your original 5000, so in the end you should only see an outflow of 1000.

While it won't affect Net Worth, it does affect your outflow (expense) accounts. So go into the first report tab, and it will affect that because there will be an outflow from your Budgeted account.

I think putting (in your example) the $1,000 as it's own non-budget account is a good idea. But then, subtract $1,000 from the starting balance of the "real" account. This might mess up the reconciliation features of the software, though, so maybe it's better to keep that $1,000 as a budget line item in your "real" account.

I did shoot their support an email asking them about this. Maybe they have different methodology and I just need to hear them out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdogg44 (Post 58426146)
This is where I'm trying to figure out what will be the easiest. Yes, I've never carried a balance on any card, so I could just pool all the transactions into a single account since that is where the money comes from anyway. I hadn't thought of that, but after I typing it out I think I like how it sounds!

Heck yeah, it is much easier than maintaining and transferring money between those accounts, for what purpose? I have my cards set to auto-pay each month from my account, I never carry a balance, so I can honestly not care what my current balance is. It'll all come from the same account, anyways.

Now, one might want to do this if you carry a balance. Mint is good at automatically seeing those transfers happen. For those that don't carry balances, it's unnecessary.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdogg44 (Post 58426146)
I have the older American Express Blue Cash. There is a little more to it but after I spend $6500 in a 12 month period the rewards jump to unlimited 5% on Gas, Groceries, and Drugstores. Buy a $500 prepaid Visa for $504.95 ($4.95 fee) and you $25.25 back on the Amex. Subtract the $4.95 fee and you just bought $500 for ~$480. I have a naming scheme I write on the cards with a sharpie and keep all their info in a spreadsheet. It's work no doubt, but ~$80/mo x 12 is still $1000 I didn't have last year.

So you gained $20 on $500 via your method. But 5% of $500 is $25, so it almost seems like you're losing that $5 because you aren't using a points card, so I see that as a wash with no benefit, more trouble keeping track of prepaids.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kxs250 (Post 58432724)
Would YNAB be good to use in conjunction with Mint? Or would there be redundancies?

I used Mint as a template to build my budgets in YNAB. I also used it to (From one place) input all my transactions from the various places.
Mint's searching features and historical data are very nice, though. It'll take some time before YNAB has the same historical information as my Mint does.

hiro 03-24-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashfir (Post 58411366)

Ramit Sethi

Randy Alcorn

Thanks for the references!

flyin_fer 03-24-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechieSooner (Post 58435094)
So you gained $20 on $500 via your method. But 5% of $500 is $25, so it almost seems like you're losing that $5 because you aren't using a points card, so I see that as a wash with no benefit, more trouble keeping track of prepaids.

He's netting 4% in cash back on that 'transfer' to a prepaid card. I don't know what kind of points you are talking about and their value, but I'll take 4% tax free over airline miles or any other kind of limited reward.

NORDO 03-24-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiro (Post 58436884)
Thanks for the references!

I also highly recommend this as a primer for anyone who wants to know anything about personal finance:

http://www.amazon.com/Bogleheads-...0470067365

ShyGuyCalif 03-24-2013 03:37 PM

I don't like the software. Can I return it?

bigmi 03-25-2013 01:10 AM

Ok I just paid $20 and got this software...like someone mentioned, this is just a fancy excel sheet. Nothing is automated, every time you do a transaction you have to manually updated it into the program for it to reflect on your balance. I thought it was linked to your bank and cc accounts or something so that every time you make a transaction it will automatically reflect on your "budget" balance. Mint is still better I think after comparing both, and it's free.

ongos2000 03-25-2013 04:14 AM

Is anyone still able to get this for the promo price? Do they have a promo like this often? Looks like I just missed it!

dealmonkey 03-25-2013 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmi (Post 58445738)
Ok I just paid $20 and got this software...like someone mentioned, this is just a fancy excel sheet. Nothing is automated, every time you do a transaction you have to manually updated it into the program for it to reflect on your balance. I thought it was linked to your bank and cc accounts or something so that every time you make a transaction it will automatically reflect on your "budget" balance. Mint is still better I think after comparing both, and it's free.

No automation is on purpose, it's part of the philosophy. It's been mentioned a bunch of times on this thread and on their website. Research is key when buying things...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShyGuyCalif (Post 58438862)
I don't like the software. Can I return it?

I doubt it. That's why they offer a free trial.

SlickerThanSnot 03-25-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

It may be a fancy excel sheet, but since it is already made, works well, and they have iPhone/android apps that can sync up to it while you are on the go, that is what makes it priceless for my us to use since we have multiple hands in the honeypot.

ibnuts 03-25-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crydee (Post 58417266)
This is absolutely not true at all. I have my budget on mint and my shopping/entertainment roll over just fine. Both are at 2-3x what I had the budget set at because of roll over. Because you don't check the application everyday it falls short? Wouldn't you have to fire up YNAB everyday to record your transactions? How would that be different - both forcing you to open some software.

You can also add transactions in mint that will occur in the future and when that transaction automatically happens it merges them rather than double counting.

Mint continually says forums are not their main CS you're supposed to e-mail or whatever - I've got a response every time from them there.

Mint also allows you to add in your loan accounts and it will auto detect when payments are due, balances, ect.

If you have static income there is absolutely no reason to spend money on a budget tool. Download a spreadsheet template or use mint.

Mint was abysmally slow and required an internet connection. Half the time, it wouldn't even pull down my accounts, and would require me to re-authenticate. So yes, it grew to be tiresome and I didn't want to deal with it, so I wouldn't log in. YNAB, in contrast, is an app that resides on your computer. There are keyboard shortcuts for everything, and it's super-fast. If you're concerned with having your data in the cloud (as several people have mentioned in this thread), you don't have to trust YNAB with all your account info (unlike Mint).

When I emailed Mint, I got form responses back. One time, I did get a response from someone who obviously did not speak English as a first language. Meanwhile, when I took a YNAB class, it was hosted by someone in the Midwest. When I emailed about the Steam sale, having recently paid full price for it, they went above and beyond to make me satisfied.

Quote:

Why would you spend the $20 without trying the full-featured 34-day trial first? If you were worried about losing the sale price, you could have at least put it in your Steam inventory and re-sold it to someone who missed the deal.

Now that you've paid for it though, you may want to give it more of a chance, keeping in mind the point of this software. It "spends" your money as soon as you budget it to a category. How would the software know which categories to assign your transactions to? YNAB is far more configurable--as such, it requires a bit more user interaction.

fergy126 03-27-2013 08:42 PM

FYI, the android app is now free!!

dealmonkey 03-27-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fergy126 (Post 58511622)

Sweet! Thanks for posting. repped.

SlickerThanSnot 03-27-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Well isn't this just some bullshit now! Maybe I can get a refund.

dealeo 03-31-2013 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlickerThanSnot (Post 58512308)
Quote:

iPhone app is free now as well!

SlickerThanSnot 04-02-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlickerThanSnot (Post 58512308)

UPDATE: Solid company .. gave me my $4.99 back for the android app without hassle! I shall sing their praises around the office!(already was, but this makes it much easier)

Love this entire program so far! It's already keeping us in check and now that every dollar is accounted for, the old battleaxe can't spend willy nilly without me knowing about it!