Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Deal Talk (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Rosewill Mechanical Keyboard RK-9000 with Cherry MX Switch (Blue) $64 + Free Shipping (http://slickdeals.net/f/5928402-rosewill-mechanical-keyboard-rk-9000-with-cherry-mx-switch-blue-64-free-shipping)

calistyle 03-25-2013 12:10 AM

Rosewill Mechanical Keyboard RK-9000 with Cherry MX Switch (Blue) $64 + Free Shipping

65531 Attachment(s)

DJ3xclusive 03-25-2013 12:10 AM

Rosewill Mechanical Keyboard RK-9000 with Cherry MX Switch (Blue) $64 + Free Shipping

2 Attachment(s)
Amazon has a few Rosewill Mechanical Keyboards on Sale listed below. Shipping is free. Thanks calistylePrice Research:
  • Our research indicates that this Rosewill Mechanical Keyboard RK-9000 with Cherry MX Switch is $16 lower (20% savings) than the next best available price from a reputable merchant with prices starting from $80 - DJ3
  • Our research indicates that this Rosewill Illuminated Mechanical Keyboard RK-9100 with Cherry MX Switch is $40 lower (33% savings) than the next best available price from a reputable merchant with prices starting from $120 - DJ3

Plastickiller 03-25-2013 12:25 AM

nice, I've been waiting for a nice blue switch keyboard. this will do! thanks

WhaleMadness 03-25-2013 10:44 AM

The RK-9000 has been price matched on Amazon, FYI. Thanks for the deal!

calistyle 03-25-2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhaleMadness (Post 58453068)
The RK-9000 has been price matched on Amazon, FYI. Thanks for the deal!

Updated OP with Amazon's price-match deals for the RK-9000 and the RK-9100. :)

myadidas1981 03-25-2013 07:18 PM

Have this with blue switches and love it.

Cedric Greene 03-25-2013 07:21 PM

6 key roll-over on the illuminated is unfortunate. Anyone know of an illuminated with a PS/2 port and usb for power? If I'm going to drop the cash for a keyboard n-key roll-over seems a fairly menial thing to ask for.

EvanO 03-25-2013 07:23 PM

I've been waiting a while now for a deal on an MX Brown board.

Damnit.

kissofthedragon 03-25-2013 07:42 PM

I love my Flico mechanical keyboard with cherry mx browns, it was $160 for 3 years ago, but for 64 bucks that a good deal for a mechanical keyboard.

BoldIntrepid 03-25-2013 08:43 PM

Is this the cheapest price it's been? I'm looking for browns but I'll buy if it's a good price

alexr1973 03-25-2013 08:44 PM

What is so special about "Mechanical Keyboards"?

kissofthedragon 03-25-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexr1973 (Post 58465808)
What is so special about "Mechanical Keyboards"?

Have precise weights on them depending on the key type ie, red, blue, keys, which makes them great for specific things such as typing, gaming, etc. They also don't stick like cheap keyboards, so with the weights you'll get a specific and dependable feedback from them depending on the type of mechanical keyboard you choose. Great investment on a keyboard if you use them alot for gaming, typing, or a mixture of both (there are different color keys that are mad for each). Lasts long also, after my mechanical keyboard I have never looked back to regular keyboards.

mtang 03-25-2013 09:07 PM

Quick questions for anyone that owns the rk-9000 or rk-9000i. How long is the usb cable provided with the keyboard?

PCMag review briefly mentioned that it's a 4ft cable, which is shorter than what i need it to be. Can anyone confirm if this is true or false?

Thanks in advance.

kissofthedragon 03-25-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kissofthedragon (Post 58466062)
Have precise weights on them depending on the key type ie, red, blue, keys, which makes them great for specific things such as typing, gaming, etc. They also don't stick like cheap keyboards, so with the weights you'll get a specific and dependable feedback from them depending on the type of mechanical keyboard you choose. Great investment on a keyboard if you use them alot for gaming, typing, or a mixture of both (there are different color keys that are mad for each). Lasts long also, after my mechanical keyboard I have never looked back to regular keyboards.

Her'es a pro in-depth guide if you want more information:

http://www.overclock.net/t/491752...oard-guide

r0ge 03-25-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kissofthedragon (Post 58464626)
I love my Flico mechanical keyboard with cherry mx browns, it was $160 for 3 years ago, but for 64 bucks that a good deal for a mechanical keyboard.

These are boards have a Filco controller and Costar stabilizers. They're fairly similar.

Lightningtwilly 03-25-2013 09:25 PM

Maaan, I want a Cherry MX Brown too :(

ss4gokuh 03-25-2013 09:46 PM

I want brown

Akuma77 03-25-2013 09:55 PM

what's the difference between blue red and brown

birostick 03-25-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akuma77 (Post 58466820)

read this.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/24...witch.html

love350z 03-25-2013 10:09 PM

does this keyboard come with wrist rest?

kissofthedragon 03-25-2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akuma77 (Post 58466820)

Sorted from light (easy to press) to heavy (hard to press):

Red - super light, linear
Brown - very light, tactile
Blue - light, tactile + click
Black - heavy, linear
Clear - heavy, tactile

Linear = like a piano key
Tactile = like a regular rubber dome
Click = like a retractable pen

Quote:

Originally Posted by love350z (Post 58467004)
does this keyboard come with wrist rest?

No rest included.

young3 03-25-2013 10:20 PM

I love my das with blues!

Deals4Lyfe 03-25-2013 10:25 PM

Rosewill needs to release some backlit TKL keyboards for ~$50, that'd be the perfect pricepoint to steal the market

(and I'm too cheap to pay $130 for Ducky Shine II's)

illuminati 03-25-2013 10:27 PM

Is this a good deal? Someone please respond

Lightningtwilly 03-25-2013 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kissofthedragon (Post 58467088)
Sorted from light (easy to press) to heavy (hard to press):

Red - super light, linear
Brown - very light, tactile
Blue - light, tactile + click
Black - heavy, linear
Clear - heavy, tactile

Linear = like a piano key
Tactile = like a regular rubber dome
Click = like a retractable pen

No rest included.

The thing that kills blue switches for me is that blue's activation point is below the release point. It's a "typing" style keyboard. Browns are much less noisy (don't have the crisp typing sound) and have an activation near the release point, but still retain tactility. Red and Blacks are gaming switches where you don't feel tactility and pressing them are really smooth.

knavekid 03-25-2013 10:29 PM

I wonder how this Rosewill keyboard compares with Deck Keyboards [deckkeyboards.com], besides being less expensive. I've had my illuminated Deck Fire keyboard for 7 years and it's still going strong. It supports both USB and PS/2 connections by reversing the 6 ft. cable and clipping a jumper (started with PS/2 and changed it to USB for my newest computer).

Depending on the model, they offer both tactile (clear) and linear (black) Cherry switches.

Kelter 03-25-2013 10:33 PM

I personally use the RK9000 with Reds and I LOVE it. I wouldn't use anything else.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Pro...6823201044

It's also the cheapest of the options right now at 59.99

hunterbush 03-25-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knavekid (Post 58467302)
I wonder how this Rosewill keyboard compares with Deck Keyboards [deckkeyboards.com], besides being less expensive. I've had my illuminated Deck Fire keyboard for 7 years and it's still going strong. It supports both USB and PS/2 connections by reversing the 6 ft. cable and clipping a jumper (started with PS/2 and changed it to USB for my newest computer).

Depending on the model, they offer both tactile (clear) and linear (black) Cherry switches.

Decks are cool and everything, but they only offer blacks on that 60% board and that font for their key caps is...well...not for me. Posting this on the GH forums...

illuminati 03-25-2013 10:37 PM

I am ready to pull the trigger on the backlit version. Someone please give me some info on whether it's a good price or not.

kissofthedragon 03-25-2013 10:37 PM

Watch some YouTube videos with reviews if there are some before you commit to buying, without ever trying a mechanical keyboard you might be in for a bad surprise.

Cord_ 03-25-2013 10:40 PM

I have the non-Illuminated version and mine just broke about a week ago. The USB connection snapped inside the keyboard. I could fix it but I know it will happen again. It lasted about 6 months.

illuminati 03-25-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kissofthedragon (Post 58467410)
Watch some YouTube videos with reviews if there are some before you commit to buying, without ever trying a mechanical keyboard you might be in for a bad surprise.

I know how it feels just wondering whether this is a good price.

darkadious 03-25-2013 10:46 PM

unless you're set on full keyboard and illumination, I'd go for the CM QFR any day all day.

kissofthedragon 03-25-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EpicTroll23 (Post 58467500)

Yeah this is a good price depending on the brand they usually are $80-200.

TheEyes 03-25-2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EternalLiberty (Post 58467442)
I have the non-Illuminated version and mine just broke about a week ago. The USB connection snapped inside the keyboard. I could fix it but I know it will happen again. It lasted about 6 months.

Really? I mean, sure it's a micro-USB connector on the back of the keyboard, so I guess it's breakable, but what the heck were you doing to your keyboard to snap off the cable inside the connector? It's not a flimsy cable, and it's modular so if you're moving the keyboard to another location you can unplug the cable from the keyboard itself.

I love my RK-9000, so much so that I'm seriously considering getting the illuminated one now and taking this one to work, although my coworkers would probably crucify me (Cherry Blues aren't exactly quiet).

VitaminM 03-26-2013 12:03 AM

Anyone who already own this and any other illuminated keyboard like the Logitech one. I got the Logitech wired illuminated keyboard and it feel good to type and play game. How does it compare to that one or if it offer any thing more than it, seem like people praising this mechanical keyboard but it seem to cost a bit expensive?

kissofthedragon 03-26-2013 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitaminM (Post 58468260)
Anyone who already own this and any other illuminated keyboard like the Logitech one. I got the Logitech wired illuminated keyboard and it feel good to type and play game. How does it compare to that one or if it offer any thing more than it, seem like people praising this mechanical keyboard but it seem to cost a bit expensive?

Mechanical keyboards are definitely worth it as long as your using your keyboard often. Other than the lights, I don't recommend buying mechanical keyboards or any keyboards with lights because it can become another problem with the keyboard. If your buying a mechanical keyboard for the lighting, you should just look away because you should be able to be blind folded and use a keyboard if your looking into mechanical. I use to use the illuminated keyboard for a year long ago in 09, had two of them also. Currently using a cherry MX brown for gaming, which is the medium between typing and gaming since im using my keyboard for 5-8 hours a day usually. I defiantly would never want to use Logitech illuminated keyboard again, its a piece of trash compared to mechanical keyboards. My flico keyboard at the moment is just better more responsive, I can type like a beast on this keyboard compared to a non-mechanical keyboard because there are no stickiness and the response from every key will be precise because all the keys weight the same and require the same amount of force in order to trigger. The accuracy will depending on your typing skills and typing mechanics. Especially for MMO players or what ever game you play, being able to hit that one button can make a difference between staying alive or killing someone. And plus most games unless your playing a FPS your going to probably be using your keyboard alot, 80% maybe so depending on what you do, a mechanical keyboard is pretty much a must. Invest into that before you spend more into extras for your computer. Also since they dont stick you can actually spam your mechanical keyboard really quick and with a little muscle memory you'll be able to combo or type like a boss. Basically a mechanical keyboard is a orgasm in your hands. Your going to actually want to type on your keyboard forever. Anyways I'm not joking, get one and you will never go back to bad keyboards again.

Jetlitheone 03-26-2013 12:23 AM

Ordered one, just got approved for a amazon mastercard so I bit the bullet, I needed one anyways. Hardcore gamer/typer and I was using a horrible 20$ keyboard.

darkadious 03-26-2013 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kissofthedragon (Post 58468386)
And plus most games unless your playing a FPS your going to probably be using your keyboard alot, 80% maybe so depending on what you do, a mechanical keyboard is pretty much a must. Invest into that before you spend more into extras for your computer. Basically a mechanical keyboard is a orgasm in your hands. Your going to actually want to type on your keyboard forever. Anyways I'm not joking, get one and you will never go back to bad keyboards again.

mechanical keyboards are nice... but they're definitely not a "must".

Ostracus 03-26-2013 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitaminM (Post 58468260)

I've been wondering about the illumination. The Logitech seems overall rather dim. Also a lot of mechanical keyboards don't come with macros. Or are dome on the macros, and mechanical elsewhere.

kissofthedragon 03-26-2013 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkadious (Post 58468470)
mechanical keyboards are nice... but they're definitely not a "must".

If a person is using their keyboard often for gaming or typing long hours daily, it is a must. Honestly a normal mechanical keyboard without extra G keys or lights/gimmicks is a much better place to put money into rather then w.e. sink hole computer parts. Your going to interact with the computer for what ever your doing through the keyboard most of the time then secondly your mouse, so it really depends and for most people they are going to be typing alot on their keyboard. Also depending on the person you might even be able to save with a mechanical keyboards since they have such longevity, around 5-10 years I would bet compared to a random keyboard where your just going to break in a month or year.

Cord_ 03-26-2013 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheEyes (Post 58467840)
Really? I mean, sure it's a micro-USB connector on the back of the keyboard, so I guess it's breakable, but what the heck were you doing to your keyboard to snap off the cable inside the connector? It's not a flimsy cable, and it's modular so if you're moving the keyboard to another location you can unplug the cable from the keyboard itself.

I love my RK-9000, so much so that I'm seriously considering getting the illuminated one now and taking this one to work, although my coworkers would probably crucify me (Cherry Blues aren't exactly quiet).

The cable head sticks out far so there is a lot of leverage. I had the keyboard on my desk and whenever I pushed it back it would bump against things. Also, sometimes books or whatever would slip under the connector and put upward force on it.

KarateB0b 03-26-2013 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvanO (Post 58464344)
I've been waiting a while now for a deal on an MX Brown board.

Damnit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoldIntrepid (Post 58465786)
Is this the cheapest price it's been? I'm looking for browns but I'll buy if it's a good price

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightningtwilly (Post 58466410)
Maaan, I want a Cherry MX Brown too :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by ss4gokuh (Post 58466684)
I want brown

somebody heard your calls
Cooler Master CM Storm Trigger Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Cherry MX Brown Switch w/ USB + Wrist Rest $59.99 after Rebate + Free Shipping
http://slickdeals.net/f/5930308-Cooler-Master-CM-Storm-Trigger-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard-Cherry-MX-Brown-Switch-w-USB-Wrist-Rest-59-99-after-Rebate-Free-Shipping

backlit, $60 after $20 rebate (and product-specific promo code, so no v.me) has macros and numpad

id buy it

mitchell8080 03-26-2013 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cedric Greene (Post 58464304)
6 key roll-over on the illuminated is unfortunate. Anyone know of an illuminated with a PS/2 port and usb for power? If I'm going to drop the cash for a keyboard n-key roll-over seems a fairly menial thing to ask for.

BRB, contacting R&D to fabricate a new lane of mechining tools on the factory floor to create one for a single hipster.

abiggy 03-26-2013 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ostracus (Post 58468502)
I've been wondering about the illumination. The Logitech seems overall rather dim. Also a lot of mechanical keyboards don't come with macros. Or are dome on the macros, and mechanical elsewhere.

I know I will get flack for this but... I have a black widow elite and I LOVE it. It is a great mechanical keyboard with awesome backlighting (that can be turned up to a level that is painful to look at) and 5 macro keys with on the fly recording and other useful features like a usb port, mic/headphone jacks, and volume control etc. I know i sound like a razer fanboy, but it is an absolutely wonderful keyboard to use for anything from typing to gaming. Refurb models are on sale semi-frequently and, IMO, are totally worth waiting it out when considering getting a logitech or anything else.

As a PS almost all the Amazon reviews for the OP look like they were made by the manufacturer when you look at their style of reviews.

2003raptor 03-26-2013 02:24 AM

my RK-9100 model has issues with the usb cable, i dont know if its like that for this model also... good luck though.

Nettozx 03-26-2013 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarateB0b (Post 58468702)
somebody heard your calls
Cooler Master CM Storm Trigger Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Cherry MX Brown Switch w/ USB + Wrist Rest $59.99 after Rebate + Free Shipping
http://slickdeals.net/f/5930308-Cooler-Master-CM-Storm-Trigger-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard-Cherry-MX-Brown-Switch-w-USB-Wrist-Rest-59-99-after-Rebate-Free-Shipping

backlit, $60 after $20 rebate (and product-specific promo code, so no v.me) has macros and numpad

id buy it

strictly red led :(

KarateB0b 03-26-2013 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nettozx (Post 58469048)
strictly red led :(

no hdmi either

airazor2000 03-26-2013 04:30 AM

I have gotten the impression that Rosewill are the entry level mechanical keyboards. They are always the cheapest to buy. And cheapest can result in an unhappy purchase. I strongly recommend thinking twice about this brand, and look at all of the other mechanical keyboards out there. It's worth paying a little extra and getting a better brand. It is also critical that you buy the key type that is right for you. (Blue, brown, red, black). Key illumination and other factors are user preference. http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/ is a great resource to learn more about mechanical keyboards. You can also order key dampeners from them to reduce the clicky noise if it's too loud.

Once you know which switch you want, search Amazon.com for all of it's mechanical keyboards, and read up on the customer reviews for each one. I eventually went with a Tesoro Durandal Ultimate and the Max Nighthawk X-8. The Das branded keyboards were a close second. Logitech only makes 1 mechanical keyboard, the G710. And I think it's only partial mechanical. (The function keys and other miscellaneous keys are standard rubber dome).

I have gotten the impression that Rosewill are the entry level mechanical keyboards. They are always the cheapest to buy. And cheapest can result in an unhappy purchase. I strongly recommend thinking twice about this brand, and look at all of the other mechanical keyboards out there. It's worth paying a little extra and getting a better brand. It is also critical that you buy the key type that is right for you. (Blue, brown, red, black). Key illumination and other factors are user preference. http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/ is a great resource to learn more about mechanical keyboards. You can also order key dampeners from them to reduce the clicky noise if it's too loud.

Once you know which switch you want, search Amazon.com for all of it's mechanical keyboards, and read up on the customer reviews for each one. I eventually went with a Tesoro Durandal Ultimate and the Max Nighthawk X-8. The Das branded keyboards were a close second. Logitech only makes 1 mechanical keyboard, the G710. And I think it's only partial mechanical. (The function keys and other miscellaneous keys are standard rubber dome).

Ostracus 03-26-2013 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abiggy (Post 58468930)
I know I will get flack for this but... I have a black widow elite and I LOVE it. It is a great mechanical keyboard with awesome backlighting (that can be turned up to a level that is painful to look at) and 5 macro keys with on the fly recording and other useful features like a usb port, mic/headphone jacks, and volume control etc. I know i sound like a razer fanboy, but it is an absolutely wonderful keyboard to use for anything from typing to gaming. Refurb models are on sale semi-frequently and, IMO, are totally worth waiting it out when considering getting a logitech or anything else.

As a PS almost all the Amazon reviews for the OP look like they were made by the manufacturer when you look at their style of reviews.

Don't know why you'd get flack. I've been entertaining the idea of simply going with a good back-lit, mechanical keyboard, and moving things like macros to a game-pad, since there's appears to be too many compromises with getting everything on one board. Also I assume the warranty is good and long, especially after the let down that's Logitech's warranty.

Ostracus 03-26-2013 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airazor2000 (Post 58469556)

Don't forget Monoprice has mechanical keyboards as well.

ape 03-26-2013 04:46 AM

TIP: Once you get this keyboard, reinforce where the usb plug enters the keyboard. If you press down on the usb cable, it will snap the internal usb connector and your keyboard is now useless. A small hard plastic tube and some silicone will stop that from happening. Minor engineering insight that could really cost you.

compsandstuff 03-26-2013 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelter (Post 58467358)
I personally use the RK9000 with Reds and I LOVE it. I wouldn't use anything else.

It's also the cheapest of the options right now at 59.99

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005QW1U...=pcpapi-20
amazon has the same price and with free shipping

mizary 03-26-2013 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kissofthedragon (Post 58468542)
Also depending on the person you might even be able to save with a mechanical keyboards since they have such longevity, around 5-10 years I would bet compared to a random keyboard where your just going to break in a month or year.

I'd love to get a mechanical keyboard... but saving $$$ is nonsense. I've been using "random" keyboards since 1993 and I don't think I've ever had a single key quit working. The only time I've bought new keyboards is where the connector goes obsolete. Or it gets so filthy it's worth spending another $20 to get a new one...

Now granted I don't buy they $5-10 SUPER cheap keyboards. I try and stick with microsoft keyboards... But I don't think I've even spent more than $20-25. Except for my bluetooth wireless one. Even that with a mouse was cheaper than the cheapest mechanical...

That all being said... I do recommend mechanical keyboards despite never owning one (yet) it's your main input device... I don't think $50-80 is much to spend on something you use so much. Even if it's 10% better it's worth it.

--mizary

ray4jc 03-26-2013 06:11 AM

Going to get this to try out the blues. Thanks OP.

Strmtrper6 03-26-2013 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtang (Post 58466110)
Quick questions for anyone that owns the rk-9000 or rk-9000i. How long is the usb cable provided with the keyboard?

PCMag review briefly mentioned that it's a 4ft cable, which is shorter than what i need it to be. Can anyone confirm if this is true or false?

Thanks in advance.

It is at most 4 ft. The good news is it is just a regular mini-USB cable, so you can buy a new one or get an extender.

DoomMetalDarryl 03-26-2013 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EpicTroll23 (Post 58467400)
I am ready to pull the trigger on the backlit version. Someone please give me some info on whether it's a good price or not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EpicTroll23 (Post 58467500)

When the RK-9100s came out last fall, they were ~$120. I never managed to save up to get one. For a while now, they've been "currently unavailable" on Amazon and Newegg, and it looks like they just now came back into stock.

I ended up getting a refurbished BlackWidow (blue switch, backlit) a while back on 1SaleADay but I'm seriously thinking of buying this Roswill....

So, compared to $120 around Christmastime, $80 is pretty good imo.

seabiscuit68 03-26-2013 07:03 AM

Seems odd to me that these threads are 98% people who come on saying how amazing Mechanical Keyboards are and the other 2% are interested people getting bombarded by the 98% who want them to buy a mechanical keyboard. And why do they want them to buy one? Because they are just the best things ever and you will certainly die if you do not purchase one.

illuminati 03-26-2013 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seabiscuit68 (Post 58471422)
Seems odd to me that these threads are 98% people who come on saying how amazing Mechanical Keyboards are and the other 2% are interested people getting bombarded by the 98% who want them to buy a mechanical keyboard. And why do they want them to buy one? Because they are just the best things ever and you will certainly die if you do not purchase one.

That's deep man... Very deeep

iRabbitt 03-26-2013 07:09 AM

These aren't worth it, especially on the illuminated one since it lacks dedicated multimedia keys.

Just get the logitech G710+ when it's on sale for $99.

illuminati 03-26-2013 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seabiscuit68 (Post 58471422)

That's deep man... Very deeep

iRabbitt 03-26-2013 07:15 AM

These aren't worth it, especially on the illuminated one since it lacks dedicated multimedia keys.

Just get the logitech G710+ when it's on sale for $99.

bdb 03-26-2013 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtang (Post 58466110)

4 feet sounds about right. It's a mini-USB connector so you can use a different cable with no issues. Their cables are extremely stiff for some reason, so a different cable might not be a bad idea if you move the keyboard around much.

As to the discussions about "why mechanical keyboards", they only require a light touch, which causes a lot less fatigue for people who type a lot. The downside (with the blue switches in particular) is that they're quite noisy. You definitely want some sort of wall between you and other workers; my cubical neighbors don't complain (much). It's really noticeable when I'm on the phone.

photonray 03-26-2013 07:25 AM

Whoa I though Rosewill was Newegg's house brand.

TheNeck 03-26-2013 07:31 AM

very tempting

i have an old school IBM AT(using a ps/2 adapter) style keyboard that ive been using for years now, only because it uses old school dip switches. :D

Moooshe 03-26-2013 07:33 AM

Does anyone know if there's any store in NYC that has different mechanical keyboards on display? I would really like to try out the different switches before I decide which one to get.

I used to be a mainframe operator, so I have some experience with mechanical keyboards, but I'd like to try something that was not manufactured by IBM 20 years ago :)

Adebesi 03-26-2013 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kissofthedragon (Post 58468386)
Basically a mechanical keyboard is a orgasm in your hands.

lol - nice

Ostracus 03-26-2013 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adebesi (Post 58472292)
lol - nice

You may not want to buy a used keyboard from him.:eek:

jordo_99 03-26-2013 08:26 AM

Just a heads up...newegg has the RK-9100 for $80 as well ($100-20% with RW20PAXEAST13).

...still a solid deal IMO but it's not like it's unique to Amazon and those with Newegg gift cards or shipping accounts might prefer this to Amazon.

Zephon13 03-26-2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheEyes (Post 58467840)

LOL I was using Blues on a BlackWidow at my office for the past year. I got another keyboard (CM Storm Trigger) with Reds and everyone is happy now.

Honestly I think I might even like typing on Reds better than Blues. It just feels so smooth. I still do love the tactile feel of blues for gaming though. I use a BlackWidow Ultimate at home and the Trigger at work now.

Asmodeous 03-26-2013 09:23 AM

Haven't read the entire thread and not trying to crap on it but why not buy an American made keyboard for this price ? I have 2 Unicomp keyboards and I love them.

finerva 03-26-2013 09:42 AM

I'm kinda torn on the mechanical keyboards, a guy at work has one and they are superior but unless I have my headphones on its annoying as hell listening to him to type on it.

Seems like its 2X as noisy as a traditional board, but that could partly psychological from being confined in cubicle land with him for so long....o.O

So yea, I am not sure if I want to be "that" guy just yet.

finerva 03-26-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asmodeous (Post 58474548)
Haven't read the entire thread and not trying to crap on it but why not buy an American made keyboard for this price ? I have 2 Unicomp keyboards and I love them.

Find us one and link it (at a comparable price), I don't know of any.

jwyfk 03-26-2013 09:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Whatever issue there was with the RK-9000 cord, they fixed it in the RK-9100. The cord is hard wired into the keyboard. I measured the cord and it's 6 feet long, not 4.

I love this keyboard, but I wish I had waited for a better deal like this one. I paid $8 more from BLT, but that's no biggie. It's heavy and solid, and I'm sure if it had a duck on the label, people wouldn't notice the difference. I was skeptical about buying a Rosewill product at first, but there's nothing generic or cheap feeling about it.

imcsj 03-26-2013 10:28 AM

I bought rosewill blue switch 10 months ago, and have been using it 8+ hours everyday at work.
Going solid, since I was aware of reviews on usb wire attachment, I am careful moving it around with it. It still has good connection and fits in snug. all keys work perfect, feels great like how it should. if you snap off wire off keyboard, thats ur own damn fault.

oh and i got this for 63.99 from newegg last july and I even got that cheap 20 dollar mobile speaker with it. so this one is not as good deal as I got while back.

Parker1974 03-26-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airazor2000 (Post 58469556)
Logitech only makes 1 mechanical keyboard, the G710. And I think it's only partial mechanical. (The function keys and other miscellaneous keys are standard rubber dome).

Just for clarification: I suppose technically the G710 is "partial" mechanical, but that does include all the keys that count (at least, to me). The function keys are indeed mechanical, as are the six G-keys, num pad, and most miscellaneous keys. Non-mechanical include the four macro buttons (record, plus M1/M2/M3), the two keys that control the LED brightness (one for WASD and one for all others), the "game mode" button, and the multimedia keys (play/pause, stop, forward, back, and mute).

fiveofakind 03-26-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imcsj (Post 58476318)
I bought rosewill blue switch 10 months ago, and have been using it 8+ hours everyday at work.
Going solid, since I was aware of reviews on usb wire attachment, I am careful moving it around with it. It still has good connection and fits in snug. all keys work perfect, feels great like how it should. if you snap off wire off keyboard, thats ur own damn fault.

oh and i got this for 63.99 from newegg last july and I even got that cheap 20 dollar mobile speaker with it. so this one is not as good deal as I got while back.

I got in on that earlier Newegg deal too, and my keyboard was DOA. The speaker sounded like garbage too (wasn't expecting much from it though). Went with a CM Storm QuickFire Rapid instead which was around the same price but has been great so far.

dledtm 03-26-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r0ge (Post 58466146)
These are boards have a Filco controller and Costar stabilizers. They're fairly similar.

the mini usb contact point is the weakness of these rosewill boards.

meowfu 03-26-2013 05:25 PM

Cherry MX Red switches going for ~$65 shipped

nanshee 04-26-2013 03:28 PM

i ordered mine... and i never received... they pushed ship date to end of may... doubt this is ever going to come.