Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Hot Deals (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   ROKINON 8mm HD CINE LENS (Model RKHD8MV) for Canon, Nikon, Sony E-Mount, Sony A Mount $279 (http://slickdeals.net/f/5929206-rokinon-8mm-hd-cine-lens-model-rkhd8mv-for-canon-nikon-sony-e-mount-sony-a-mount-279)

Chizzness 03-25-2013 11:43 AM

ROKINON 8mm HD CINE LENS (Model RKHD8MV) for Canon, Nikon, Sony E-Mount, Sony A Mount $279

1 Attachment(s)
linky [buydig.com]

Use code ROK70

xxobsidianxx 03-25-2013 12:20 PM

Why is this a slick deal? The Nikon is 271.61 on Amazon. It has nice reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Rokinon-FE8...B002LTXQUE

Kidnaper 03-25-2013 12:33 PM

OP posted a cinelens. Not the same but similar enough for most.

timber725 03-25-2013 12:39 PM

so freaking tempting!

jdramirez 03-25-2013 12:52 PM

I do really enjoy playing with my rokinon fisheye. it is an expensive you, but at this price they are practically giving it away.

jdramirez 03-25-2013 12:55 PM

I will say I don't like putting it on my body. there isn't a good place to grasp the lens when doing so.

goomsal 03-25-2013 01:46 PM

Great Deal. as others have mentioned this is the Cine Lens which is the same idea as Canon's STM- It's Quiet so it's great for video. It's Also "HD" (whatever that means), and has a removable hood.

IMHO definitely worth the extra $50 over the standard Rokinon 8mm that hits FP Every time at like $230

iamandrewz 03-25-2013 02:25 PM

If I didn't just get the original Rokinon 8mm, I would have got this today. I've been using it every day since I received it Friday. SO MUCH fun to use.

http://statigr.am/iamandrewz

For examples, check out my IG. The most recent posts are using the 8mm.

goomsal 03-25-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamandrewz (Post 58458784)
If I didn't just get the original Rokinon 8mm, I would have got this today. I've been using it every day since I received it Friday. SO MUCH fun to use.

Great Shots ;)

iamandrewz 03-25-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goomsal (Post 58459100)
Great Shots ;)

Thank you =)

unlockedshaders 03-25-2013 02:56 PM

The main attraction here, compared to the regular lens, is the de-clicked aperture, teeth around the focus ring for follow-focus gear compatibility, and more damping for both rings. I don't think any changes were made to the optics, but from what I've read there was little focus breathing to begin with.

All in all, good features for cinematography.

Joe123456 03-25-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlockedshaders (Post 58459510)
The main attraction here, compared to the regular lens, is the de-clicked aperture, teeth around the focus ring for follow-focus gear compatibility, and more damping for both rings. I don't think any changes were made to the optics, but from what I've read there was little focus breathing to begin with.

All in all, good features for cinematography.

And I assume this one is EF for Canon and not EF-S, that is, it can be used on the full frame Canon's.

LoneWolfe78 03-25-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe123456 (Post 58460608)
And I assume this one is EF for Canon and not EF-S, that is, it can be used on the full frame Canon's.

"The ROKINON 8mm cine lens is designed for digital SLR cameras with APS-C image sensors. For these types of cameras, it provides full-frame coverage - which means that pictures will cover the entire frame. It is also compatible with cameras that have a full-frame sensor. For cameras with full-frame sensors, the lens will produce pictures with a semi-circular image and close images will appear proportionately large for a dramatic effect."

Taken from the buydig website.

Qson 03-25-2013 04:49 PM

I loved the regular version of this lens. IIRC, the difference between this one and the other 8mm is that this one does't click when changing the aperture for a more silent operation. I loved how sharp the lens was at f/5.6 - f/8.

If I didn't upgrade to a FF camera, I wouldn't have sold my 8mm. It works, but I wasn't fond of having to crop.

monster888 03-25-2013 04:59 PM

You don't need to focus with this lens. Set it to f/8 and 3-5ft and everything will be in focus. Not sure if the optics is identical to the regular version, but the lens is soft until f/8.

FlipBumWalla 03-25-2013 05:18 PM

No love for the Olympus folks?

jdramirez 03-25-2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlipBumWalla (Post 58462302)

It's been 10 years, but Olympus lost me when they wouldn't do warranty work on my point and shoot camera. Since then I had a fuji, a sony, and Canon. And I'm getting a 5d mkiii... so I doubt I'll ever stray from Canon.

TheOldDude 03-25-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlipBumWalla (Post 58462302)

Just buy an adapter. The lens is manual everything so you have nothing to loose with a dumb adapter. I shoot many different bodies but my main rig is a Canon. I'll be using this on a NEX and a M43 with dumb adapters. Just set the lens for f/8 and shoot away.

Great find OP!

wd40 03-25-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamandrewz (Post 58458784)

for a funner, more dramatic effect, get up close to things...like a tall building, get about 10 feet away from one of the corners...back up a little from a downtown intersection and get most of the 4 way view...pick two perpendicular long hallways and get both in the photo at the same time...it's a fun lens.

FlipBumWalla 03-26-2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOldDude (Post 58464736)
Just buy an adapter. The lens is manual everything so you have nothing to loose with a dumb adapter. I shoot many different bodies but my main rig is a Canon. I'll be using this on a NEX and a M43 with dumb adapters. Just set the lens for f/8 and shoot away.

Great find OP!

Thanks OldDude! I'm new to this, so I had not heard this is a possibility.
Is it possible you can tell me what I might need and maybe where to find one?
I am also wondering if this should be an "in person" purchase or would the web be OK.

signalsoldier 03-26-2013 02:14 PM

Must resist!!!

ObjectAgnosia 03-31-2013 07:14 PM

Ouch...was looking forward to playing with this lens.
Placed my order on Thursday and got this today:

"Dear Valued Customer:

Please be advised that the product you ordered is currently not in stock and on backorder. We apologize for this inconvenience. We try our best to keep our website updated, however sometimes an item can oversell before our site gets updated causing this temporary delay. We expect to be receiving this product within 3-5 days. As soon as we receive the merchandise we will make sure to expedite the backordered product to you. If you would prefer to cancel this product from your order or if you have any further questions please send an email to Customerservice@BuyDig.com or please call us at 1-800-617-4686 to reach our customer service team. Our customer service consultants are here to help you Sun 10AM-6PM, Mon-Thu 10AM-7PM, Fri 10AM-3PM, Eastern Standard Time.

Order Number: xxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Buydig.com Service Department"

Jayzilla 04-01-2013 12:55 AM

Nikon mount!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ObjectAgnosia (Post 58582670)
Ouch...was looking forward to playing with this lens.
Placed my order on Thursday and got this today:

"Dear Valued Customer:

Please be advised that the product you ordered is currently not in stock and on backorder. We apologize for this inconvenience. We try our best to keep our website updated, however sometimes an item can oversell before our site gets updated causing this temporary delay. We expect to be receiving this product within 3-5 days. As soon as we receive the merchandise we will make sure to expedite the backordered product to you. If you would prefer to cancel this product from your order or if you have any further questions please send an email to Customerservice@BuyDig.com or please call us at 1-800-617-4686 to reach our customer service team. Our customer service consultants are here to help you Sun 10AM-6PM, Mon-Thu 10AM-7PM, Fri 10AM-3PM, Eastern Standard Time.

Order Number: xxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Buydig.com Service Department"

I'm pretty sure you ordered a Nikon version.

ObjectAgnosia 04-01-2013 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayzilla (Post 58586870)
I'm pretty sure you ordered a Nikon version.

No, I went with the Canon mount.

patmander 04-03-2013 11:13 AM

OUT OF STOCK and deal is DEAD.

Jayzilla 04-03-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patmander (Post 58643668)
OUT OF STOCK and deal is DEAD.

They will have it for sell again I believe and even cheaper.