Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Hot Deals (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Motorola SURFboard SB6141 Cable Modem $70 AC @ Rakuten.com (http://slickdeals.net/e/5951282-motorola-surfboard-sb6141-cable-modem-70-ac-rakuten-com)

Favrerox 04-05-2013 10:51 AM

Motorola SURFboard SB6141 Cable Modem $70 AC @ Rakuten.com
 
65532 Attachment(s)
Motorola SURFboard SB6141 Cable Modem

Motorola's easy-to-use SB6141 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem unlocks the potential of offering innovative high-bandwidth data and multimedia services to customers. Utilizing the power of DOCSIS 3.0, the SB6141 enables channel bonding of up to eight downstream channels and four upstream channels, which allows an operator to offer its customers advanced multimedia services with data rates of over 300 Mbps for received data and over 100 Mbps when sending data.

$74.95 @ Electrohut marketplace seller - coupon code:SAVE15 = $59.95 + $9.89 shipping = $69.84

SB6141 [rakuten.com]

149 available @ 12:55 PM CST

Valid April 5, 2013, 10am to 12pm PDT.

cgsample 04-05-2013 11:33 AM

Wonder if Fry's will price match?

twistrman 04-05-2013 12:01 PM

whoa this was buy.com? horrible name change.

Zoe Moon 04-05-2013 12:04 PM

Dead almost before it started. When I tried to check out, got this....

NOT APPLIED

$15 off $50 from Shop Owners
($15.00)
Not Applied
Reason: Promotion Expired on 4/5/2013 at 12:00 PM Pacific Time

executivedealer 04-05-2013 12:10 PM

UGH! I was contemplating getting this for way too long! ARGGGH! Cheapest it's ever been on SD was $65 AC. Guess I gotta play the waiting game again.

Favrerox 04-05-2013 12:18 PM

Valid April 5, 2013, 10am to 12pm PDT.

So yeah - DEAD. :(

FBomb 04-05-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by executivedealer (Post 58688268)
UGH! I was contemplating getting this for way too long! ARGGGH! Cheapest it's ever been on SD was $65 AC. Guess I gotta play the waiting game again.

It's been posted in almost every thread for the SB6121, but you can get this modem SB6141 from fleabay for $67 with free shipping on a best offer submittal.

Seller is modem-modem. I ordered one about a month ago and it works great.

FYI: If $67 does not work, you can try $70 - my brother got one for that amount just last week.

HoL Lee Cows 04-05-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FBomb (Post 58688970)
It's been posted in almost every thread for the SB6121, but you can get this modem SB6141 from fleabay for $67 with free shipping on a best offer submittal.

Seller is modem-modem. I ordered one about a month ago and it works great.

FYI: If $67 does not work, you cant try $70 - my brother got one for that amount just last week.

i just received mine from that seller for $70. quick shipping too

Zoe Moon 04-05-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FBomb (Post 58688970)
It's been posted in almost every thread for the SB6121, but you can get this modem SB6141 from fleabay for $67 with free shipping on a best offer submittal.

Seller is modem-modem. I ordered one about a month ago and it works great.

FYI: If $67 does not work, you can try $70 - my brother got one for that amount just last week.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoL Lee Cows (Post 58689234)
i just received mine from that seller for $70. quick shipping too

Were the modems in the original retail packaging?

FBomb 04-05-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoe Moon (Post 58695388)
Were the modems in the original retail packaging?

It was in a brown box with Motorola printing on it, looked much like what a contractor would get. There was no shrink wrap. Had extra mmei/serial number stickers; although I cannot honestly remember if it was 'sealed' with tape or round labels. I confirmed it was brand new/never activated with my ISP. Way back when, I used to work for a cable company and it reminded me of the packaging we would receive our new equipment in. That being said, there is almost no way one could sell a lot of stolen equipment without getting caught up because of the mac/serial numbers.

I would highly recommend it. The seller has near perfect rating after a lot of sales.

Zoe Moon 04-05-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FBomb (Post 58695874)
It was in a brown box with Motorola printing on it, looked much like what a contractor would get. There was no shrink wrap. Had extra mmei/serial number stickers; although I cannot honestly remember if it was 'sealed' with tape or round labels. I confirmed it was brand new/never activated with my ISP. Way back when, I used to work for a cable company and it reminded me of the packaging we would receive our new equipment in. That being said, there is almost no way one could sell a lot of stolen equipment without getting caught up because of the mac/serial numbers.

I would highly recommend it. The seller has near perfect rating after a lot of sales.

Thanks for the info. The reason I asked is a couple of buyers had reported it wasn't in retail packaging. As long as it's new, it works and there's nothing shady going on, I'm happy.

jttx 04-05-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoe Moon (Post 58695388)
Were the modems in the original retail packaging?

They are Brown Motorola Box but probably New I read in another post here that the Black Modems are the Ones that Motorola sell to the cable companies, That is why they are 15 or 20 dollars less, i don't see anything wrong if the modem is new and works, But i write to both sellers in Ebay and ask about Warranty and they said 60 days only, The Motorola Modems retail packages Are White and have One Year Warranty.

Zoe Moon 04-05-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jttx (Post 58695974)
They are Brown Motorola Box but probably New I read in another post here that the Black Modems are the Ones that Motorola sell to the cable companies, That is why they are 15 or 20 dollars less, i don't see anything wrong if the modem is new and works, But i write to both sellers in Ebay and ask about Warranty and they said 60 days only, The Motorola Modems retail packages Are White and have One Year Warranty.

Thanks, that's a big help. Repped!

sklar 04-05-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jttx (Post 58695974)
They are Brown Motorola Box but probably New I read in another post here that the Black Modems are the Ones that Motorola sell to the cable companies, That is why they are 15 or 20 dollars less, i don't see anything wrong if the modem is new and works, But i write to both sellers in Ebay and ask about Warranty and they said 60 days only, The Motorola Modems retail packages Are White and have One Year Warranty.

Every single motorola modem I've ever bought, including units from bestbuy and newegg, were brand new and retail models. The color has nothing to do with anything at all.

This all started from one guy on amazon who was allegedly talking to a motorola tech who dumped him off the phone by telling him he bought a former isp's used cable modem because it was black. That guy put reviews on every site on earth making this completely incorrect claim.

Now what might be a problem here is a brown box from a non-authorized reseller doesn't carry any warranty at all with motorola, but sounds like the seller offers 60 days. Never had a motorola cable modem (or a zoom) die on me ever. I still have all of them in a box. If you're going through cable modems, you have a grounding problem somewhere.

sklar 04-05-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jttx (Post 58695974)
They are Brown Motorola Box but probably New I read in another post here that the Black Modems are the Ones that Motorola sell to the cable companies, That is why they are 15 or 20 dollars less, i don't see anything wrong if the modem is new and works, But i write to both sellers in Ebay and ask about Warranty and they said 60 days only, The Motorola Modems retail packages Are White and have One Year Warranty.

You're about right on the warranty, but here is a black motorola modem being sold at retail by best buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Motor...Id=2836657

They also sell a white one. Same modem. Since this is sold by an authorized retailer, it carries a one year warranty, is not an isp supplied product, is not used, yet is black.

Imaninja 04-06-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sklar (Post 58696416)
You're about right on the warranty, but here is a black motorola modem being sold at retail by best buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Motor...Id=2836657

They also sell a white one. Same modem. Since this is sold by an authorized retailer, it carries a one year warranty, is not an isp supplied product, is not used, yet is black.

I will contest to this: bought one from Costco for 75 and it was black and not white. The color has nothing to do with whether it is retail or not.

iwillam 04-06-2013 08:14 PM

I picked up a black one on ebay for $65 with free shipping. Received it in 3 days. It was New in Box.

sklar 04-07-2013 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imaninja (Post 58709568)
I will contest to this: bought one from Costco for 75 and it was black and not white. The color has nothing to do with whether it is retail or not.

In fact, thats where my black SB6120 came from. The black 5120 I had before that came from Bestbuy.

It may be possible that ISP's only use black modems (I've never rented one, in over 14 years of using dsl/cable) but its not at all plausible that all black modems are used and only sold to ISP's when new.

TonyH 04-08-2013 06:32 PM

Got one today through best offer on Ebay (Item number:330885956997). 67.50 was declined, 69 accepted. (Buy it now is at 77.50).

sushiplease 04-09-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyH (Post 58745694)
Got one today through best offer on Ebay (Item number:330885956997). 67.50 was declined, 69 accepted. (Buy it now is at 77.50).

I've read that the Black versions are used referb types.

skardem 04-09-2013 12:42 PM

Now $65 with IWANT20

sandeepdeshpand 04-09-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skardem (Post 58760962)
Now $65 with IWANT20

Thanks. Bought 1 with iwant20 for 64.84$. Repped.

ubermoxi 04-09-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imaninja (Post 58709568)
I will contest to this: bought one from Costco for 75 and it was black and not white. The color has nothing to do with whether it is retail or not.

I believe the one from Costco is 6121, which is black. The white one maybe the retail version of 6141, which I saw at Fry's.

ugabulldog 04-09-2013 01:28 PM

Got one. Thanks

Zumaone 04-09-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sklar (Post 58696384)
Every single motorola modem I've ever bought, including units from bestbuy and newegg, were brand new and retail models. The color has nothing to do with anything at all.

This all started from one guy on amazon who was allegedly talking to a motorola tech who dumped him off the phone by telling him he bought a former isp's used cable modem because it was black. That guy put reviews on every site on earth making this completely incorrect claim.

Now what might be a problem here is a brown box from a non-authorized reseller doesn't carry any warranty at all with motorola, but sounds like the seller offers 60 days. Never had a motorola cable modem (or a zoom) die on me ever. I still have all of them in a box. If you're going through cable modems, you have a grounding problem somewhere.

Here is the short version. The SB6141 is sold in two versions, the white retail version (that has warranty and support from Motorola) and the brown box OEM version that is black. Internally they are identical, however the black ones are sold in bulk usually to an ISP who would provide the support and warranty coverage. They are cheaper because Motorola doesn't have to support them.

How do I know? Because I did extensive research into this and I have seen the postings by the nut that claims they are used. They are NOT used. I have one myself, it is brand new and came in the brown OEM box. The issue is all a matter of warranty. Most all of the brown box modems purchased will not be covered under a warranty from Motorola if it did not come from an ISP.

With that said, I am not too worried about it. Mine has been running fine now for almost 3 months without a single issue.

twistrman 04-09-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skardem (Post 58760962)
Now $65 with IWANT20


code is dead. had to wait til i got home to order, and it is now invalid.

don't know if this was like the other promo code that was valid for 2 hours, but that is a big PITA to have such a small time frame.

Guess I wait again.

sklar 04-09-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zumaone (Post 58763510)
Here is the short version. The SB6141 is sold in two versions, the white retail version (that has warranty and support from Motorola) and the brown box OEM version that is black. Internally they are identical, however the black ones are sold in bulk usually to an ISP who would provide the support and warranty coverage. They are cheaper because Motorola doesn't have to support them.

How do I know? Because I did extensive research into this and I have seen the postings by the nut that claims they are used. They are NOT used. I have one myself, it is brand new and came in the brown OEM box. The issue is all a matter of warranty. Most all of the brown box modems purchased will not be covered under a warranty from Motorola if it did not come from an ISP.

With that said, I am not too worried about it. Mine has been running fine now for almost 3 months without a single issue.

I agree completely, with the exception that I bought a modem from newegg a while back and more recently one from costco. Both were retail packed, both were black, so the black ones aren't just sold to isp's in bulk. The 6141 I didn't buy from modems-modems on ebay was black and brown boxed. If modems-modems was an authorized reseller, I'd have gotten a 1 year warranty with it. But they aren't, so no warranty. I haven't read the motorola warranty this week, so my recollection may be rusty but I'm pretty sure it says that any new modem bought from an authorized reseller regardless of its color or what kind of box its in gets a 1 year warranty. Everything else gets no warranty.

And like you, still have every cable modem I ever bought and they never broke, but these went into my home and the first thing I do when I buy a house is re-do the earth ground and make sure the cable and satellite gear are properly grounded to it. Big problem in many older homes and commercial buildings. Grounding issues and surge on the cable wire are the #1 and #2 reasons why a modem fails, providing it isnt roasted alive on top of some other device in a closet.

I found the same nut you did. He posted on about 300 review sites. You're right, he isn't.

I guess I should dig the old docsis 1 zoom modem out of the closet and toss it, if I can't find a museum to take it...:lol:

dealmonkey 04-11-2013 11:13 AM

I just discovered the whole white vs black modem thing. Reading that review on Amazon is what made me do research, I thought it sounded fishy. I offered $69 to amodems on ebay, they accepted. After doing this I discovered about the no warranty thing. I emailed the seller and he said its correct, no warranty from Motorola but he offers a 60 day warranty. Now I am debating if a retail version is worth $30+ for the 1 year warranty. Just like sklar, Ive had (3) different Motorola Surfboard modems since cable internet came out, all still "work".

sandeepdeshpand 04-16-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dealmonkey (Post 58802204)
I just discovered the whole white vs black modem thing. Reading that review on Amazon is what made me do research, I thought it sounded fishy. I offered $69 to amodems on ebay, they accepted. After doing this I discovered about the no warranty thing. I emailed the seller and he said its correct, no warranty from Motorola but he offers a 60 day warranty. Now I am debating if a retail version is worth $30+ for the 1 year warranty. Just like sklar, Ive had (3) different Motorola Surfboard modems since cable internet came out, all still "work".

I bought this deal last week from www.rakuten.com (former buy.com) when it was for 65$. It arrived couple of days ago.
Was in brown box with Motorola log etc, from packaging etc. looks like brand new and also said "New" in the receipt etc.
Called comcast to register it It took talking to 2 different people as first lady tried to transfer me to more advanced technical support and at that time my call was dropped. But eventually go connected to right person. Took about 30 minutes to get everything running.
Modem itself is great.
My download speed bumped up from 12 with my old Docsis 2.0 modem to 22 MBps. Not a bad jump. Upload did not change a whole lot and stayed around same (may be slight bump from 4MBps to 4.5MB). I have "performance" grade service from comcast.
Also my old modem, during peak hours, would drop to around 8 MBps. This one stays consistent (may be due to bonded channels)
Lets put end to this "Black modems are refurbed" nonsense. Mine is black but still valid retail version.
I asked comcast guys and they confirmed that it has latest firmware and boot file etc.
Not sure about warranty, but considering 65$ electronic item and from past experience, these modems usually last several years, to me, 1 months seller warranty is ok.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:23 PM.