Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Hot Deals (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   PC Digital Download: Natural Selection II $10 *Activates via Steam* [Metacritic Score 80] (http://slickdeals.net/f/5964314-pc-digital-download-natural-selection-ii-10-activates-via-steam-metacritic-score-80)

yuugotserved 04-12-2013 08:41 AM

PC Digital Download: Natural Selection II $10 *Activates via Steam* [Metacritic Score 80]

3 Attachment(s)
Green Man Gaming

Metacritic Score [metacritic.com]: 80/100
User Score [metacritic.com] 8.7/10

Natural Selection II (PC Digital Download) [greenmangaming.com]

$12 - 20% off code GMG20-GGN5D-FC3NA
= $10

brisar 04-12-2013 08:41 AM

Natural Selection II (PC Digital Download) $10

1 Attachment(s)
GreenManGaming.com has Natural Selection II (PC Digital Download) on Sale for for $12.50 - 20% w/ code GMG20-GGN5D-FC3NA = $10. Thanks yuugotserved

Thompson 04-12-2013 10:08 AM

good game, def worth 10 bucks if u like rts or fps

ColbyC 04-12-2013 10:33 AM

On Steam [steampowered.com] for $12.50 if your bank won't let you buy from GMG.

tkrushing 04-12-2013 10:41 AM

Great deal for a great game

Lricardo101 04-12-2013 10:53 AM

I just had to call Chase to have them authorize the transaction for GMG. Funny how they never cared about the other 20 times that I've bought from GMG before,

stopspazzing 04-12-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thompson (Post 58823858)
good game, def worth 10 bucks if u like rts or fps

Freaken awesome game if the above is true. The metacritic score doesn't do it justice, and you should NEVER care about this score or take it with a grain of salt, as one of the reviews was really bad because he lied about the game and gave it a really low ~40 and the score cant be removed.

I have been playing it since alpha. It's a mix between Starcraft and Halflife 2. There is an active community behind it and they release patches typically every 2 weeks/once a month.

Actually they are having the finals of the tournament at the time of this post of the best of the best playing in Germany.
Take a look: (more info) http://unknownworlds.com/ns2/nsl/

in 1 minute it starts: http://twitch.tv/naturalselection2

ColddeviL 04-12-2013 11:04 AM

Excellent game. Probably one of the highest skill ceilings there is for an FPS game. This really isn't one you just pick up and expect to be decent at; however, it's really rewarding once you can hold your own.

mst3kld 04-12-2013 11:06 AM

The game is amazing and a total steal at $10. Just keep in mind the learning curve is very steep. It plays so differently than anything else on the market. Its very team based. So just dont run in COD style.

Oneill5491 04-12-2013 11:10 AM

Absolutely loved the first one. Definitely N41.

dudepuncher 04-12-2013 11:15 AM

SON OF AN ASS. I'm stuck in rural NC, and they don't believe in things like intertubes out here, otherwise I'd be all over this. Wanna play it so bad.

MSH 04-12-2013 11:16 AM

this game took waaaaaaaaaaaaay too long to finish

goblinpunk 04-12-2013 11:20 AM

Do yourself a favor and give this game a chance. Absolutely amazing. I've played 175 hours since December and I still can't help but play this everyday. The teamwork aspect is super fun and the combat and strategy are really well done.

There is so much to master in this game that even with 175 hours I haven't mastered playing some of the alien evolutions and commanding more than a basic game. The commanding aspect of the game adds a whole new level of intricate gameplay. People in general are very helpful in this game if you just ask for help. Having a mic helps a whole lot so I really recommend that. Definitely takes hours to really learn what you're doing but it's incredibly rewarding. Try to work together. Esp as marines.

Also anyone who wants can add me on steam id: 'goblinpunk' if you want someone to play with and learn the ropes or for experienced players as well. I have a couple guys who I play with regularly and it's fun to play with the same people.

acideye 04-12-2013 11:22 AM

awsome game, buy buy buy. (disclamer: have been playing ns1 since it came out, and ns2 since before it came out - my nick is r00t).

viciousthomas 04-12-2013 11:22 AM

Incredibly fun, but the skill curve is somewhat high. Join a rookie server with a good commander and you'll learn how to play really fast.

jamesl 04-12-2013 11:27 AM

I played NS1 pretty obsessively about what must have been 10 years ago when I actually had time. Great memories. Does NS2 improve upon the flaws of NS1?

jdr-eza 04-12-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesl (Post 58825738)
I played NS1 pretty obsessively about what must have been 10 years ago when I actually had time. Great memories. Does NS2 improve upon the flaws of NS1?

yes...

There aren't any hive camping situations
There aren't any turret farms.

Lerks are badass
Fades are nerfed a bit, but give them an open hallway and you need new pants (like it should be)
Marines can use the armory to get a shotgun with their own 'personal' money.

dngrcnnn 04-12-2013 11:33 AM

It's fun, and I play it a few times a week, but be aware the engine coding is absolute shit compared to most A games, and the game will probably run terribly on your system for no good reason.

stopspazzing 04-12-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdr-eza (Post 58825842)
yes...

There aren't any hive camping situations
There aren't any turret farms.

Lerks are badass
Fades are nerfed a bit, but give them an open hallway and you need new pants (like it should be)
Marines can use the armory to get a shotgun with their own 'personal' money.

Fades are the way they should be, good against >3 marines by themselves, aka not invicible.

Watch NS2 League Live right now!
http://www.twitch.tv/naturalselection2

jdr-eza 04-12-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuugotserved (Post 58821692)

You might want to mention that the metacritic score is off because GameSpot retracted their 60 score, and replaced it with an 80

metacritic only keeps the FIRST review of a game for their score, even though the score has upped by 20 points, they refuse to change it.

youra6 04-12-2013 11:46 AM

Some good video tutorials online. Recommended you watch before you play.

This game wont die anytime soon because there are people still playing it back when it was only a mod. I just started playing this game about a month ago and community is very open and friendly. Most people will even help you out if you tell them that you're new.

acideye 04-12-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesl (Post 58825738)

depends on how critical you are :) it's really not same game anymore, with what i'd say much more balanced play over the course of the match.

also, if you played combat (which most people did in later versions of NS1) - there's no out-of-box CO mode in NS2, most people are playing proper game. there is a CO mod, but it's not really much fun at this point, due to weapon balance I mentioned before.

watch twitch now - some great games going on
http://www.twitch.tv/naturalselection2

stopspazzing 04-12-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdr-eza (Post 58825916)
You might want to mention that the metacritic score is off because GameSpot retracted their 60 score, and replaced it with an 80

metacritic only keeps the FIRST review of a game for their score, even though the score has upped by 20 points, they refuse to change it.

I stated this on the first page, you may want to make sure you read all posts before replying.

RyanL 04-12-2013 12:04 PM

So is this purely an online multiplayer game or is their a single player campaign too?

goblinpunk 04-12-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyanL (Post 58826614)
So is this purely an online multiplayer game or is their a single player campaign too?

Online multiplayer only but there is a singleplayer mod you can install but I haven't tried it and its just probably a AI version of the multiplayer game

jdr-eza 04-12-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyanL (Post 58826614)

MP only

sponz 04-12-2013 12:12 PM

Thumbs up for the deal, thumbs down for myself because I bought it for full price because I just built a new PC and couldn't wait for the sale. :) :(

hodges8 04-12-2013 12:27 PM

This game is absolutely incredible and a steal at 10 dollars.

xxxHolic 04-12-2013 12:29 PM

This game doesn't want to run on my computer. I can play Battlefield 3 medium setting.

prankies 04-12-2013 12:34 PM

Great price on a solid multiplayer shooter. I'm not sure that it has one of the "highest skill ceilings of any shooter", but playing as a Fade is some of the most fun I've had in multiplayer gaming this year. I personally find the marine side of things to be a bit dull and generic (gets a little better once jetpacks are involved), but playing as the aliens is always a blast.

It can be frustrating to see how lopsided a game will get if the skill of the commanders does not match up. In many games it is clear who is going to win within the first 5-10 minutes, but the game could drag on for another 20-30.

The engine is pretty garbage, too. It's a bit loose/floaty and runs like crap.

In spite of all of that, the asymmetrical design of the game makes it a very unique gaming experience. Having a good commander and coordinated teammates while you dart around darkened hallways is PC gaming at its best. Kinda makes me want to go play it now =p

Quinn4597 04-12-2013 12:36 PM

I remember playing this when i worked at a cyber arcade. Was tons of fun, and that was before the RTS stuff was introduced. Already a huge helping of games to play but i don't think i can pass this one up. N41 TU!

MSH 04-12-2013 12:56 PM

I used to follow this game and its development, I remember when they were hiring engineers to help develop their dynamic creep spread... But it took waaaaaaaay too long to develop like duke nukem. For 10 bucks I do not doubt that it will provide you plenty of entertainment.

pigmoose 04-12-2013 01:02 PM

For anyone on the fence, here's my two cents: http://i.imgur.com/Y0eI2PZ.png

jb347 04-12-2013 01:15 PM

In for a copy. Was doing a lot of Bastion and FTL, but I'm done with those for now.

freeloader625 04-12-2013 01:34 PM

This is a GREAT indie game. The devs follow player feedback closely and their support is awesome. I highly recommend it for everyone.

Pec 04-12-2013 01:58 PM

This is the best multi-player PC game ever made!

fuzi 04-12-2013 02:25 PM

So many hours wasted in Gloom and Natural Selection 1. My gaming backlog is to huge.

EverDeals 04-12-2013 02:26 PM

Bought some tank tops. Thanks!

chheinz91 04-12-2013 03:08 PM

Great game. About to play it right now.

Eaglefan 04-12-2013 03:24 PM

NS1 was one of my favorites, was waiting for a deal (SD never fails) and can't wait to try it out.

TY and TU

noobcake 04-12-2013 06:03 PM

BoA Debit, Chase Credit, Paypal all declined GMG. They must be doing something wrong to piss off these financial services.

I have like a $5 credit also.

Teks 04-12-2013 07:17 PM

is the community on this sequel as Terrible as the first one?

I loved the game back in the day, but if you were a newbie, the community was awful, worse than a random CSS server.

unreliable 04-12-2013 08:05 PM

Aliens are great, humans are crappy win/ratio over the course of the entire game proves this. (only time humans actually started beating aliens was when skulks had the movement speed glitch) was told it was a feature and then told it was accidental after all the hate and notice.

Commanders are extremely important and usually determine the course of the game over any skill player.

Also many servers are now VAC secured so those aimbotters and wall hackers will be banned from now on.

NS1 was far more reactive and both sides were far faster and damaging, but NS2 came out on its own to greatness.

For everyone who asks about the denials GMG is based in the UK so there might be foreign currency fees and the credit card companies may think your card is stolen or something

Personally I think the NS1 community was friendlier, but current communities have more global players and some players actions may be worse than before.

gian2ooo 04-13-2013 03:41 PM

Hmmm.. i bought this a while back and I never got to liking it. Its most likely due that 'rookie wall' or that steep learning curve you guys are talking about. I always thought it was the lag on my side and me consistently dying before I knew what hit me...

Anyway.. from all these reviews I'm questioning if you guys are talking about the same game and got me thinking if I want to reinstall it. How are you guys playing over 175 hours on this game?? Is there a single player mode I'm missing?

Anyway all I saw was a multiplayer mode that lasted about 15-20 mins.. with usually the same people winning. I only repeated this like 8 times and called it quits..

sumthin_gud 04-14-2013 11:01 AM

this game is exceptionally hard to pick up. ive played games pretty competitively and usually rank really high [games like halo 3, tf2, bfbc2, chivalry], but this game has me crippled. expect to put in a lot of hours to get good at. great community though, none of that childish bs

BenJeremy 04-14-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unreliable (Post 58834632)

For everyone who asks about the denials GMG is based in the UK so there might be foreign currency fees and the credit card companies may think your card is stolen or something

Yeah, the whole payment issue is strange at GMG.

You can try temporary Visa cards, or run Chrome in Incognito mode, disabling ad blockers and such. Many people insist it's an issue with GMG's side. I think the last time I had an issue, I was able to get it working with IE instead of Chrome.

That said, I've never had issues with fraud, and I've bought plenty of games there. I have two accounts, because my oldest had me purchase some games I had already gotten for myself, heh.

This looks like a great game... I just have too many in my queue to invest in an MP strategic shooter.

cooljay1622 04-14-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noobcake (Post 58833152)
BoA Debit, Chase Credit, Paypal all declined GMG. They must be doing something wrong to piss off these financial services.

I have like a $5 credit also.

Paypal worked fine for me....

noobcake 04-14-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooljay1622 (Post 58855010)
Paypal worked fine for me....

Paypal works today. Thx.

goblinpunk 04-15-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gian2ooo (Post 58844202)
Hmmm.. i bought this a while back and I never got to liking it. Its most likely due that 'rookie wall' or that steep learning curve you guys are talking about. I always thought it was the lag on my side and me consistently dying before I knew what hit me...

Anyway.. from all these reviews I'm questioning if you guys are talking about the same game and got me thinking if I want to reinstall it. How are you guys playing over 175 hours on this game?? Is there a single player mode I'm missing?

Anyway all I saw was a multiplayer mode that lasted about 15-20 mins.. with usually the same people winning. I only repeated this like 8 times and called it quits..

I'd say give it another shot. The multiplayer experience is such a great one with this game in that it really depends on teamwork. You're much better in groups. The majority of games are 15-20 minutes but I've played some that have lasted over 45 minutes so it really depends. Also some servers will do random teams so that they aren't getting constantly stacked.

Also a quick tip for playing skulk is to always be harassing the marine extractors. Especially if you're not that great in 1-on-1 engagements. It forces the marines to play defensively and gives the aliens more map control.

KPunk 04-15-2013 10:26 AM

dead. just missed it! had it in my cart earlier. ugh