Slickdeals.net

Slickdeals.net (http://slickdeals.net/forums/index.php)
-   Hot Deals (http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Blendtec Total Blender w/ Wildside jar $300 @ Wheaton, MD Costco (http://slickdeals.net/f/5974972-blendtec-total-blender-w-wildside-jar-300-wheaton-md-costco)

xmagusx 04-18-2013 07:58 AM

Blendtec Total Blender w/ Wildside jar $300 @ Wheaton, MD Costco

Model is a Total Blender Classic Wildside [blendtec.com] and is available at this Costco location [costco.com] in Wheaton, Maryland (the greater DC area). Price is $330 with $30 instant rebate, taking it down to $300 total.

If you balk thinking, "$300 for a blender? I can get one for twenty bucks at Target!" then please google Blendtec and check out why a Blendtec is way crazy better than even fifteen $20 blenders.

The Blendtec roadshow should be there with the deal until Sunday, April 21st.

sceptor 04-18-2013 08:10 AM

Friend has one..can verify its awesome

baskerville 04-18-2013 08:13 AM

I have this exact same "set" from Costco; had it for over a year-and-a-half now, and it is a serious contender. Mostly used for protein shakes, but it makes a mean cauliflower purée, not to mention puréed cream soups, tomato sauces, BBQ sauces, almond meal, homemade Nutella, and emulsified salad dressings. Highly recommended!

blahblahyoutoo 04-18-2013 08:15 AM

i know you stated a specific location, but any chance this is nationwide?

MindGrapes 04-18-2013 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baskerville (Post 58931466)
I have this exact same "set" from Costco; had it for over a year-and-a-half now, and it is a serious contender. Mostly used for protein shakes, but it makes a mean cauliflower purée, not to mention puréed cream soups, tomato sauces, BBQ sauces, almond meal, homemade Nutella, and emulsified salad dressings. Highly recommended!

Can you share your nutella recipe? I have a vitamix and have tried a couple of recipes that I haven't really loved.

xmagusx 04-18-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo (Post 58931500)

Not to the best of my knowledge, this is a promotion for the opening of this Costco location. Blendtec does have a "roadshow" that they take to Costco locations across the states, and you'll usually find a similar deal at those.

Edit: you can search for where the road shows are on the Blendtec homepage here [blendtec.com]. I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the page's listings as it does not include the Wheaton Costco, but again, this is grand opening thing so it's entirely likely that this site simply isn't in their system yet.

sgong33 04-18-2013 08:41 AM

Did this Wheaton location open already? was it a zoo? any other grand opening deals?

stubbornboy 04-18-2013 08:48 AM

I do have a blendtec I bought from Costco on this same deal few months back. It is awesome, but sometimes I wonder if it really has a practical advantage over Ninja which is around $200 cheaper if all you are doing is crushed ice smoothies etc.

http://gotgreensrevolution.com/Bl...Ninja.html

xmagusx 04-18-2013 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgong33 (Post 58932082)
Did this Wheaton location open already? was it a zoo? any other grand opening deals?

It opened last Friday (April 12th).

Yes, from what I have heard from the people working there who I chatted with, it was indeed a zoo that weekend. It has since calmed down markedly, but there is still a rush around 7pm - close.

Quite a few other deals, though none that I recall the details of, I'm afraid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stubbornboy (Post 58932238)
I do have a blendtec I bought from Costco on this same deal few months back. It is awesome, but sometimes I wonder if it really has a practical advantage over Ninja which is around $200 cheaper if all you are doing is crushed ice smoothies etc.

Indeed, though I'd say that this is more a case of simply making sure that you get the right tool for the right job. The Blendtec does way crazy more than the Ninja, but if all you're doing is making smoothies, the Ninja will probably be fine for you. I also definitely prefer the Blendtec smoothies, but that's because I find "chunkiness" very offputting, but I recognize that I am probably in the minority in this respect. By that same token I'd also say that if all you're making is milkshakes, the $20 Target model will do you just fine. :)

woodygg 04-18-2013 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindGrapes (Post 58931640)
Can you share your nutella recipe? I have a vitamix and have tried a couple of recipes that I haven't really loved.

Nutella?

LOTS of sugar
some hazelnuts and chocolate.

Mostly just sugar though...

Quote:

Besides lasting 50X longer?

etphonehome 04-18-2013 08:58 AM

Some of it's awesomeness:

Will it blend?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAl28d6tbko

baskerville 04-18-2013 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindGrapes (Post 58931640)

I kind of made up my own (this was quite some time ago). Roast hazelnuts on a cookie sheet (350 F I'd say) until fragrant/toasty, throw into stainless steel bowl and cover to let the skins "steam" from the residual heat, then roll over the nuts with a towel to remove as much of the skin as possible.

I then grind them into a paste in the blender, adding cocoa powder, sugar (or sugar substitute—I used erythritol) and additional oil (I used peanut) until the desired consistency is achieved. It's all a very "to-taste" type deal. I used no dairy in mine and didn't miss it. :)

xmagusx 04-18-2013 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by etphonehome (Post 58932486)
Some of it's awesomeness:

Will it blend?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAl28d6tbko

The music for will it blend series is wonderful. And the nutjob you see throwing all that stuff into the Blendtecs? That's the company founder, Tom Dickson, and he does such demonstrations live as well. That's faith in your product.

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodygg (Post 58932314)
Besides lasting 50X longer?

Also the warranty is seven years for the Blendtec vs just one year for the Ninja. The Blendtec is a freaking tank.

baskerville 04-18-2013 09:17 AM

Oh, you can also use the Blendtec to make your own powdered sugar in a pinch. Toss in sugar, whirl away, bam. Instant powdered sugar. Oh, and you can also make the finest shaved ice ever. It's truly impressive. I don't regret it one single bit.

MindGrapes 04-18-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baskerville (Post 58932668)
I kind of made up my own (this was quite some time ago). Roast hazelnuts on a cookie sheet (350 F I'd say) until fragrant/toasty, throw into stainless steel bowl and cover to let the skins "steam" from the residual heat, then roll over the nuts with a towel to remove as much of the skin as possible.

I then grind them into a paste in the blender, adding cocoa powder, sugar (or sugar substitute—I used erythritol) and additional oil (I used peanut) until the desired consistency is achieved. It's all a very "to-taste" type deal. I used no dairy in mine and didn't miss it. :)

Thanks!

antsmarchn 04-18-2013 09:21 AM

Have a friend that has 2 blendtec blenders since his wife runs a small juicing business. He loves the quality and has never had an issue. I have been debating a blendtec or vitamix once I can find a reason to use a blender more than 1 or 2 days a year. I also tried to throw a friends cell phone in his blender once, but nobody turned it on.

pikabb 04-18-2013 09:26 AM

My friend bought one of these from Costco. Tried to impress his girlfriend by making her and her friends fresh Pina Coladas. Used a shot glass to measure out some agave nectar. Put the glass upside down in the blender to let all the nectar drip out. Was so proud of himself that everyone loved the drinks till he realized the shot glass was missing....

kyle6286 04-18-2013 09:27 AM

We just got a Blendtec a couple weeks ago. It's awesome. We throw all kinds of stuff in it for smoothies - kefir, almond milk, flaxseeds, collard greens, chard, kale, spinach, pineapple, frozen blueberries and strawberries, bananas, avacados, etc. It blends everything great. It definitely does a much better job than a $30 blender. I'm reluctant to use it to make soups and stuff because I don't like the idea of scolding hot liquids sitting in the plastic jar, even if it's BPA free.

We used the 20% off coupon at BB&B and got the shipping waived, so we paid $330 for the Blendtec Total. This replaced our Omega 8004 juicer for its convenience and the fact that it keeps the fiber.

Anyone with the regular jar (not the wildside) know how to make almond butter? I tried it last week using the recipe in the book that came with the Blendtec and it didn't work at all.

stopspazzing 04-18-2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo (Post 58931500)

Only when the RoadShow is at your local Costco will it be this price. I have been working in the wireless kiosk in a costco in Southern California for just about 3 years and have seen them once a year.

bjsguess 04-18-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

We borrowed a Vitamix for a few weeks to try it out. Then we bought a Ninja. Even for things like smoothies there is quite a bit of difference between the two. In our case the difference wasn't worth an extra $200+ but I definitely wouldn't fault anyone who went Vitamix/Blendtec over the Ninja. The Ninja is a pain to clean vs the Vitamix. Something to consider if you use it daily. Over time that convenience is pretty huge.

All in all - if you have the money and plan on using your blender frequently go with Vitamix/Blendtec. If you use your blender a couple times a week at most and want to save the money stick with your Ninja.

xmagusx 04-18-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyle6286 (Post 58933246)
We just got a Blendtec a couple weeks ago. It's awesome. We throw all kinds of stuff in it for smoothies - kefir, almond milk, flaxseeds, collard greens, chard, kale, spinach, pineapple, frozen blueberries and strawberries, bananas, avacados, etc. It blends everything great. It definitely does a much better job than a $30 blender. I'm reluctant to use it to make soups and stuff because I don't like the idea of scolding hot liquids sitting in the plastic jar, even if it's BPA free.

We used the 20% off coupon at BB&B and got the shipping waived, so we paid $330 for the Blendtec Total. This replaced our Omega 8004 juicer for its convenience and the fact that it keeps the fiber.

Anyone with the regular jar (not the wildside) know how to make almond butter? I tried it last week using the recipe in the book that came with the Blendtec and it didn't work at all.

Just as a heads up, the soup is more warm than hot, Blendtec does not advise putting boiling water in their jars [blendtec.com], and instead advises anyone who wants their soup warmer than it comes out of the blender to finish it off on the stove.

canyon 04-18-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pikabb (Post 58933188)
My friend bought one of these from Costco. Tried to impress his girlfriend by making her and her friends fresh Pina Coladas. Used a shot glass to measure out some agave nectar. Put the glass upside down in the blender to let all the nectar drip out. Was so proud of himself that everyone loved the drinks till he realized the shot glass was missing....

That is crazy funny!

Blendtec has AWESOME customer service!
I'll note that I've been using mine for like two years, and my wild-side jar started to have some minor disintegration of the seal (so I'm told, I only noticed some powdery black residue on the top base of the machine (around the gearing where the jar fits in) - I assumed a motor issue like too many Cuisinarts I've owned in the past, so I called Blendtec.

Their motor is sealed, and they explained it's a carafe issue, and mailed me a new Wild-side carafe no questions asked, no emailing a receipt or proof of purchase or exchanging my defective one (which is still working fine, only I anticipate a future issue).

Blendtec rocks!

In my daily smoothie, I start with some un-shelled flax (under $2/lb at a market or Whole Food), hemp seed (a little expensive at Costco but way cheaper than WF), and a heaping handful of spinach or kale. I wouldn't want to taste any of that, but the Blendtec processes all of it down to an indistinguishable powder that I can't taste at all (with just a very slight notice of texture). ...nothing better than getting a ton of anti-oxidents, vitamins, minerals, and omega-3 and -6 from natural food (as if absorption of vitamin pills are all that effective anyway).

While I use carrot juice (organic, nothing but carrots listed in the ingredients) from Costco, in a pinch I've just thrown raw carrots and water into the Blendtec and it will make pure juice from that, no chunks at all - try that with a regular blender (I would be curious to hear if a Ninja can do it, as that infomercial touts a strong motor...).

boohoo 04-18-2013 09:57 AM

How do I know when the blendtec vendor will be visiting my local Costco? I am looking to buy it from Costco.

deymayor 04-18-2013 10:44 AM

This blender is outstanding. I can't believe how it actually crushes everything since the blade is not even sharp. I got mine for $350 after tax and it's worth every penny. Even with daily use, i can see this lasting for 8 years. If not, Costco is tops on returns, etc.

sKwiD 04-18-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boohoo (Post 58933884)
How do I know when the blendtec vendor will be visiting my local Costco? I am looking to buy it from Costco.

http://www.blendtec.com/roadshows

This will typically tell you which Costco's have the Blendtec in stock. But you won't know whether or not the demonstrator will be there unless you call each specific Costco and ask. In my experience, the Blendtec was sold for $329 regardless of whether or not the demonstrator was there that day. The $30 off OP is talking about may be a new promotion.

bakerzdosen 04-18-2013 12:02 PM

FWIW, the $30/off Costco/Blendtec coupon has come up nationwide most recently in Jan 2013 and Aug 2012.

Keep in mind you can get refurb Vitamix's here [vitamix.com] as well.

It's pretty easy to find a free shipping coupon out there as well.

dQn 04-18-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bakerzdosen (Post 58937094)
FWIW, the $30/off Costco/Blendtec coupon has come up nationwide most recently in Jan 2013 and Aug 2012.

Keep in mind you can get refurb Vitamix's here [vitamix.com] as well.

It's pretty easy to find a free shipping coupon out there as well.

So should i get vitamix or blendtec?

sKwiD 04-18-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dQn (Post 58941162)

Either. Search for Vitamix or Blendtec on SD or Google and you'll get endless discussions. It's a Nikon vs. Canon / MAC vs. PC type thing. Both are good, but different. In the end your smoothies will come out more or less the same.

bakerzdosen 04-18-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dQn (Post 58941162)

Personally, I was gung ho to get a Blendtec - partially because they are a "local" company to me and partially because of reviews.

However, I've been somewhat swayed to the Vitamix side of things as of late.

The newer Vitamix (7500 etc) pretty much has removed all of the "issues" I had with Vitamix and tends to be a bit quieter.

Initially the tamper seemed like a real downside, but it's not that hard to wash and isn't truly needed every time, but sometimes it simply speeds things up. A Blendtec is said to never need a tamper, and that may be true, but if you can finish blending something with a Vitamix and a tamper in 20 seconds or in a Blendtec in 2 minutes without a tamper, which is preferable?

Also, I like that the Vitamix can go slower (a LOT slower) than the Blendtec. Sometimes that's nice.

You can also get a Wildside jar from Blendtec that fits the Vitamix if you truly find it to be superior.

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with either, but at this point I am leaning Vitamix (unless I can get one of the Blendtec refurbs for $159 like last month, then I'll just do that.)

But that's just me.

canyon 04-18-2013 03:28 PM

^^ All good considerations, but has the Vitamix made a smaller base, as last I compared the Vitamix countertop and storage footprint was huge.

woodygg 04-18-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antsmarchn (Post 58933068)
Have a friend that has 2 blendtec blenders since his wife runs a small juicing business. He loves the quality and has never had an issue. I have been debating a blendtec or vitamix once I can find a reason to use a blender more than 1 or 2 days a year. I also tried to throw a friends cell phone in his blender once, but nobody turned it on.

I chose blendtec because the consistency of the soups is much nicer than the vitamix (owned a vitamix first). the soups with the vitamix have way too much air in them.

woodygg 04-18-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyle6286 (Post 58933246)

then make the soup and then heat it up in a pan. personally I make it in the blender.

atriathletek 04-18-2013 04:35 PM

+1 for Blendtec

FYI Vitamix stole their design. I have a hard time supporting a company that willfully infringes on another's product. Plus the "Will It Blend" videos are great!

http://www.blendtec.com/blog/2012...ent-award/

New_World 04-18-2013 04:40 PM

i own a refurb one that was on SD a while back.

still love it.
use it almost daily.

s1nad0w 04-18-2013 05:15 PM

Also bought a refurb one a few years ago. Never use it, too lazy.

OceanCat 04-18-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

You are right. If you don't use the blendtec to its full potential why spend the money on one? I for one own a blendtec and I do all sorts of things with it; cashew butter, tahini, hummus, grind flour, etc I couldn't be happier and use mine everyday.

If my needs for a blender consisted of making pina coladas a few times a year, I probably wouldn't have been interested in the first place.

Snail 04-18-2013 05:22 PM

AMAZING blender. I have one. Waited three years before deciding to buy it; did my research. Decided on this instead of Vitamix because I liked how simple this one is - no tamper needed.

mjv5864 04-18-2013 06:22 PM

Can the Blendtec liquefy/puree raw vegetables without adding extra liquid?

dQn 04-18-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bakerzdosen (Post 58941996)
Personally, I was gung ho to get a Blendtec - partially because they are a "local" company to me and partially because of reviews.

However, I've been somewhat swayed to the Vitamix side of things as of late.

The newer Vitamix (7500 etc) pretty much has removed all of the "issues" I had with Vitamix and tends to be a bit quieter.

Initially the tamper seemed like a real downside, but it's not that hard to wash and isn't truly needed every time, but sometimes it simply speeds things up. A Blendtec is said to never need a tamper, and that may be true, but if you can finish blending something with a Vitamix and a tamper in 20 seconds or in a Blendtec in 2 minutes without a tamper, which is preferable?

Also, I like that the Vitamix can go slower (a LOT slower) than the Blendtec. Sometimes that's nice.

You can also get a Wildside jar from Blendtec that fits the Vitamix if you truly find it to be superior.

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with either, but at this point I am leaning Vitamix (unless I can get one of the Blendtec refurbs for $159 like last month, then I'll just do that.)

But that's just me.

HOw do i get on the 159 deal?

bakerzdosen 04-18-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dQn (Post 58946328)
HOw do i get on the 159 deal?

It was only available for a short period of time last month.

http://slickdeals.net/f/5875362

dQn 04-18-2013 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sKwiD (Post 58941560)
Either. Search for Vitamix or Blendtec on SD or Google and you'll get endless discussions. It's a Nikon vs. Canon / MAC vs. PC type thing. Both are good, but different. In the end your smoothies will come out more or less the same.

Is vitamix worth the price premium?

bakerzdosen 04-18-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canyon (Post 58942486)
^^ All good considerations, but has the Vitamix made a smaller base, as last I compared the Vitamix countertop and storage footprint was huge.

The base is definitely bigger, but it's better than it used to be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5gB6ySM_00

canyon 04-18-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjv5864 (Post 58945960)

Well, it probably needs just a little liquid to avoid cavitation.

I just made Watermelon juice, when I cut up a full ("seedless", which typically is not seedless and contains the small white genetically-immatured seeds I imagine they are) watermelon right when I buy one, I only make pieces for eating of the easily cleaned "center cut" type section(s), and I just throw all the rest (seeds and melon, not outer rind) into the Blendtec to make juice. I do have to add like 6-8 onces to start it out, but then I reuse some of the juice with each carafe-full. At first I tried without water, but I probably needed a tamper for this use.

When I've made carrot juice, I add some water because I don't first cut into small pieces.... but I've never tried without water.

mjv5864 04-19-2013 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canyon (Post 58949436)
Well, it probably needs just a little liquid to avoid cavitation.

I just made Watermelon juice, when I cut up a full ("seedless", which typically is not seedless and contains the small white genetically-immatured seeds I imagine they are) watermelon right when I buy one, I only make pieces for eating of the easily cleaned "center cut" type section(s), and I just throw all the rest (seeds and melon, not outer rind) into the Blendtec to make juice. I do have to add like 6-8 onces to start it out, but then I reuse some of the juice with each carafe-full. At first I tried without water, but I probably needed a tamper for this use.

When I've made carrot juice, I add some water because I don't first cut into small pieces.... but I've never tried without water.

Thank you.

xmagusx 04-19-2013 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjv5864 (Post 58945960)

Does it have the ability? Most certainly. In fact, it can be run without any liquid at all make flour out of grains, or plastic powder out of an iPhone. It can also handle making guacamole by dropping whole, unpitted avocados into it.

Is this necessarily the best way to get the results you want out of it? Depends on the recipe. :)

rheabrandt 04-19-2013 09:31 AM

A neighbor of mine has this one and it's totally nice. She can make a lot of recipes out of this blender.

ShengD 04-19-2013 01:29 PM

I see the Costco Roadshow information here [costco.com], but nothing about Blendtec. Are they part of the Roadshow, or is it just Vitamix?

DealGypsy 04-20-2013 05:46 AM

Bought a ikon blender sold my blendtec.

xmagusx 04-21-2013 01:39 PM

Last day at the Wheaton, Maryland location. Get while the getting's good!

Rippa_MD 04-22-2013 08:56 PM

when is it returning to Wheaton or Beltsville?

xwedge 04-30-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShengD (Post 58962358)
I see the Costco Roadshow information here [costco.com], but nothing about Blendtec. Are they part of the Roadshow, or is it just Vitamix?

I've seen Blendtec at the Alhambra, CA location before (last month).